Las Vegas mayor: Obama is “a real slow learner”; Update: Reid questioning Obama’s patriotism?

posted at 11:36 am on February 3, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Las Vegas mayor Oscar Goodman lambasted Barack Obama yesterday after Obama made a reference to his city in a speech demanding better fiscal discipline earlier in the day. A year ago, Obama raised Goodman’s ire by demanding an end to expensive corporate meetings in Las Vegas, but smoothed things over with an apology and a clarification. This time, Goodman says an apology won’t cut it and that Obama has proven himself to be “a real slow learner” (via Gateway Pundit):

“I guess you’ve all seen the president’s remarks or read about the president’s remarks, well I’ve got some remarks of my own. I was back in Washington, D.C. about two weeks ago, going up and down the halls of the capitol telling people about our economy here, trying to get them to be sympathetic to what we’re trying to accomplish, then I have to read what President Obama said.

“He has a real psychological hang up about the entertainment capitol of the world. An apology won’t be acceptable this time, I don’t know where his vendetta comes from but we’re not going to let him make his bones by lambasting Las Vegas, that’s why (the press) is here today.

“He didn’t learn his lesson the first time, but when he hurt our economy by his ill conceived rhetoric, we didn’t think it would happen again, but now that it has I want to assure you, when he comes I’ll do everything I can to give him the boot back to Washington and to visit his failures back there.

“I gotta tell you this, everybody says I shouldn’t say it, but I gotta tell you the way it is. This president is a real slow learner.”

I find myself in the odd position of defending Obama on this score.  His speech contained very clear conditionals (emphases mine):

When times are tough, you — you tighten your belts.  You don’t go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage.  You don’t blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you’re trying to save for college.

Well … yeah.  Maybe Obama would have been better advised to keep it generic by saying “in the casinos” rather than “on Vegas”, but otherwise, this is only remarkable for its banality.  You’d hear the same kind of advice from your parents, and probably would have rolled your eyes at its obvious nature.

Just as obviously, Las Vegas doesn’t need any more negative connotations on its gambling business in this tough economy.  In that sense, it’s difficult to blame Goodman for overreacting after last year’s Obama scolding, which really was ill-informed. Goodman won’t lose any popularity points by blasting Obama again, at least not in Las Vegas itself.

But the man who will pay most will be Harry Reid, who has spent the past year carrying Obama’s water on Capitol Hill.  He can’t win re-election without a huge turnout in Sin City and a big spread.  If Obama becomes unpopular in Las Vegas, Reid’s re-election will become an impossibility rather than the improbability it is at the moment.

And of course, Mayor Goodman diagnoses Obama perfectly by calling him “a slow learner” — but does so on the wrong grounds.

Update: Obama clarified his remarks today in a letter to Reid:

After sparking a firestorm of criticism from Nevada’s elected officials for suggesting that people saving money for college shouldn’t blow it in Las Vegas, Obama told U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in a letter that he wasn’t saying anything negative about Las Vegas.

It was the second time since taking office that Obama singled out Las Vegas as a potential example of spending excessively.

“I was making the simple point that families use vacation dollars, not college tuition money, to have fun,” Obama said, according to the letter released by Reid’s office. “There is no place better to have fun than Vegas, one of our country’s great destinations.”

Do you think Nevada Democrats are feeling the pressure?  Rep. Shelley Berkley unloaded on Obama, too, while Reid wondered whether Obama would prefer Americans spend their money in other countries:

“Enough is enough!” Democratic Congresswoman Shelley Berkley said in a statement. “President Obama needs to stop picking on Las Vegas and he needs to let Americans decide for themselves how and where to spend their hard-earned vacation dollars.”

Nevada’s tourism has been hit hard during the past two years as consumers everywhere tighten leisure spending and companies spend less on meetings and conventions.

Reid, one of Obama’s closest allies, issued a statement headlined “Reid to Obama: ‘Lay off Las Vegas’” and was unusually blunt in his reaction.

“The President needs to lay off Las Vegas and stop making it the poster child for where people shouldn’t be spending their money,” Reid said. “I would much rather tourists and business travelers spend their money in Las Vegas than spend it overseas.”

So now Reid is questioning Obama’s patriotism?  Talk about running off the rails!  I know Reid needs to distance himself from Obama, but that’s just ridiculous hyperbole.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

No Ed, there is no reason why people can’t save for college AND take a vacation. The President needs to mind his own business.

DaveS on February 3, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Uhm. Ed?

When the enemy is fighting amongst themselves, LET THEM!

misterpeasea on February 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Drudge has a piece up on an IRS tender for bids on 60 Remington Model 870 shotguns. Just sayin’,..

a capella on February 3, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Billy’s Timmy’s got a gun, he’s on the run
Confusion in his mind, the blind leads the blind
Oh, Billy’s got a gun, he’s gonna shoot ya down
He’s got evil in his eyes, got a reason to despise
There’s danger in the air………

MarkABinVA on February 3, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I find myself in the odd position of defending Obama on this score. His speech contained very clear conditionals (emphases mine):
When times are tough, you — you tighten your belts. You don’t go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage. You don’t blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you’re trying to save for college.

Sorry, Ed, I disagree. I don’t need any SOB in Washington (especially the biggest spender in the history of the United States) lecturing me on fiscal responsibility. How I spend the money I earn that the government doesn’t steal from me in the form of taxes is MY BUSINESS. If I want to blow it in Vegas I WILL. Obama can go to hell.

Lizzy on February 3, 2010 at 1:35 PM

I have to agree with Obama 100% here and defend his statement 200%. He said something that is quite sensible, though something that should be common sense already. If you’re in a bad spot, instead of saving for college, you don’t go to Vegas and blow your money. Good advice.

In fact, forget the stipulations- going to Vegas to blow your money is bad ANYTIME. The saying goes, the house always wins, and it does indeed. Gambling is, generally speaking, an idiotic way of spending your money no matter what the economy is like.

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

The VAST majority of people who come to Vegas to vacation do so responsibly in that they have a set amount of money to spend gambling and don’t go over that amount.

Vegas offers so much more than just gambling and many of the attractions are free. The city is way past just a gambling mecca, there are world class shows, interesting exhibits, for example the Shark Reef, The Secret Garden, the Atomic Museum, Springs Preserve and Red Rock Canyon, one of the most beautiful desert mountain places on earth.

One can see replicas of New York, Paris, Italy, Egypt and Medieval England. Yea, they are tourist traps, but what city or tourist destination is any different.

Las Vegas also has some of the best shopping and dining anywhere with world class department stores and 5 star rated restaurants by chefs known all over the world.

Las Vegas is a city like no other in the world. People come here to for a lot more than gaming and aren’t losing their shirts or their kids milk money to do so.

Obama has twice pointedly remarked about not spending money in Vegas, forgetting that it is the largest city in Nevada, the 5th largest school district in the country and as such, supports thousands of families. Many of them came here because of the job boom and now find themselves without work and unable to go elsewhere.

You have spouted a lot of crap about Vegas. Think what you want but it is a great city, a great vacation destination and does not deserve Obama’s scorn.

Jvette on February 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Mr. Limbaugh is making me laugh today.

Geochelone on February 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM

He’s on a roll today. “Rahm compared Democrats to retarded people, then apologized to retarded people.” LOL

txhsmom on February 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Just about every family with young kids is saving for college. Does that mean they can’t vacation in Las Vegas? Where else? Would “blowing money” on a vacation to Disney World offend Obama? Or how about Hawaii? If what he meant to say was “it’s irresponsible to blow the kids college fund on gambling in Las Vegas” that was a weird way to say it. And if the problem was supposed to be “don’t gamble away the kids college fund” what about putting it all in GE stock? Or GM stock (a year ago)? The guy is clueless.

jdp629 on February 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Another thing that President Slow Learner doesn’t get that a lot of corporations and the US GOVERNMENT have conferences in Vegas because the air fare, the food, and the hotels are so reasonable. Vegas is set up to get people into the casinos therefore everything else is a bargain. When he makes his “slow learner” remarks then these corps and especially the GOVT stay away from Vegas so that they are not painted with the big spender (actually the opposite) brush.

Words words words

Get this guy a tutor preferably one other than Karl Marx

Haunches on February 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Would “blowing money” on a vacation to Disney World offend Obama?

jdp629 on February 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Evidently, the Indonesian imbecile thinks that blowing money on Disney World is “an investment”, like his “jobs” bills.

America is not going to survive three more years of this ineligible retard running the Executive branch. It’s either him or us. One is just not going to make it, intact.

neurosculptor on February 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Sorry, Harry but we see through your thin disguise. Your time in helping to ruin the country is just about up.

slug on February 3, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Quick, roll Rahm Emanuel out to call him a friggin’ retard

kens on February 3, 2010 at 1:46 PM

No Ed. Vegas is used by corporations and the US GOVT for conferences and classes because it is cheap. The air fare, the hotels, the food prices are all geared to get people into the casino. Companies, including the govt, save money going there. When president “slow learner” runs Vegas down then these entities, esp the govt, don’t feel comfortable booking there. Other cities cost more. He is costing them money and costing us money. He is hurting Vegas.

This jerk needs a tutor, preferably one other than Karl Marx

Haunches on February 3, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Is Barak Obama really advising people not to overspend when times are tough?

Hypocrite.

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM

D’Ohbama needs an Islamic council ruling from a sistani or a mufti or ayatollah before he can reverse course against the unclean Vegas kafirs. At the same time it’s okay to gamble every last cent at the government craps table, because central control is a higher authority than Allah. In the peabrain of Bowbama, it’s as simple as that.

Western_Civ on February 3, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Lizzy on February 3, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Direct and true.

My sister is going to Las Vegas for an academic conference, to present an award-winning paper she wrote for an ECONOMICS class. Perhaps Obama should attend: he might learn something.

Animator Girl on February 3, 2010 at 2:00 PM

First off I don’t know why the mayor and Reid don’t tell Obama to practice what he preaches or STFU! He puts out a 3 trillion country destroying budget, and then presumes to tell the American people to cut back!

Screw you and shut up would be what I told him were I the mayor!

patriotparty1 on February 3, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Lizzy on February 3, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Well, you are unlikely to then whine that the feds need to pay your kid’s college tuition, or “protect” you from foreclosure on your house, or go into one of these “debt reduction” services because you ran up $30,000 in credit card bills on a $25,000 annual salary.

Sadly, there’s an awful lot of Americans out there who are not as responsible as you are with money, and most of them think it’s the government’s job to bail them out when their poor decisions bite them in the butt.

funky chicken on February 3, 2010 at 2:14 PM

This time, Goodman says an apology won’t cut it and that Obama has proven himself to be “a real slow learner”….

I have a better word for it, but I don’t want to be banned or turned to a pillar of salt.
I would pay MONEY to see Goodman and Las Vegans chase obama out of their fine city, carrying torches, pitchforks, and a mile long margarita.

HornetSting on February 3, 2010 at 2:17 PM

“…You have to prioritize. You have to make tough choices…” B. Obama

Noblesse oblige, sir. Noblesse oblige.

ObjectionSustained on February 3, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I’m going to Vegas Monday and need a slogan for my button or name tag how about:

“OBAMA said don’t go,
I didn’t listen tho”
Tea Party Patriot

dhunter on February 3, 2010 at 2:19 PM

“I was making the simple point that families use vacation dollars, not college tuition money, to have fun. There is no place better to have fun than Vegas, one of our country’s great destinations.”

Barack Obama

Translation: “You idiots know what I meant, so why should I have to say it?”

fossten on February 3, 2010 at 2:23 PM

“President Obama needs to stop picking on Las Vegas attempting his best Communist redistribution efforts and he needs to let Americans decide for themselves how and where to spend their hard-earned vacation dollars.”

Well, I certainly think MY statement is more accurate. But Congresswoman Berkley seems as if she might be rousing from her slumber and getting just a whiff of the coffee.

oldleprechaun on February 3, 2010 at 2:24 PM

But spending over $200,000 on booze with taxpayer money for the speaker of the house when she flies back and forth with her family all over the place when times are hard is ok…

RedbonePro on February 3, 2010 at 2:25 PM

sorry for the double post. It looked like the computer at the first one

Haunches on February 3, 2010 at 2:34 PM

You know, ObiOne had best tread lightly. The Vegas goombah’s may decide to have him rubbed out, taken for a ride. I can hear the private warning now: “Gee, ah, Barry. That’s a real nice Presidency ya got there…it’d be a shame if sumpthin was to happin’ to it!”.

Maybe the Vegas goombah’s can locate Barry’s real Birth Certificate, or maybe his College records.

mrpeabody on February 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Harry Reid is about to be Daschle’d

jcrue on February 3, 2010 at 2:56 PM

txhsmom on February 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM

That was hilarious!

chunderroad on February 3, 2010 at 3:08 PM

What about blowing money for a “date” in NYC? Or on $850 tennis shoes?

SouthernGent on February 3, 2010 at 3:09 PM

We were going to go to Vegas, but are going to Peurto Villarta instead. Why? 7 days on the beach all inclusive w/round trip air for $950 each, at Riu Vallarta. How do you pass that up. Vegas wants $1000 just for a room as nice as the one we are staying in, they dont have an ocean, everything there is “costly” compared to years past. Nothing there is free like it used to be. Even if you gamble, you have to “ask” or beg for a comp. The president dont have to tell me not to go to Vegas. My wallet tells me that. But he is still an idiot for trying to decide for otheres where they should spend there money. I think hed be better off telling Pelosi to get off the taxpayers dime with her outlandish food, flight and flower flap. Try too say that 3 times fast.

CriticalUpdate on February 3, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Being a slow learner is one thing; Refusing to learn or listen is a another.
Obama’s a master of the latter. Thinks he knows all there is, or his “gift” will bring him through.
Don’t think so? Just ask him. He’s already explained this to Harry Reid.

Cybergeezer on February 3, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I find myself in the odd position of defending Obama on this score.

Why? The hypocrisy of the Big Spender-in-Chief lecturing others about not “tightening your belt” or “blowing a bunch of cash” is astonishing. That is a larger problem than his serial insults about Vegas.

Also not seeing where Reid implied that Obama was unpatriotic.

Buy Danish on February 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I hear the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce is giving family discounts for flights, hotels and air fare, given this free advertising by the Incompetent in Chief.

Cybergeezer on February 3, 2010 at 3:40 PM

CriticalUpdate on February 3, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Wow. So you’d rather support the economy of Mexico than that of the US? Watch out for that little drug thingy they’ve got going on down there. Las Vegas city water might not taste great, but I’d guess it’s a far sight better than what you’ll get in Mexico.

Shudder.

funky chicken on February 3, 2010 at 3:42 PM

And, you can get fabulous rooms at the Mirage (recently renovated) for about 80 bucks a night. Suites at the brand new Encore are only about twice that.

But hey, good luck in Mexico.

funky chicken on February 3, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Obama, You Talk Too Much.

maverick muse on February 3, 2010 at 3:48 PM

To quote Reid(D)… obviously Las Vegas is LOST and we should simply withdraw…

DANEgerus on February 3, 2010 at 3:50 PM

3:34 pm
Going to jail in Mexico happens if you own or carry a firearm for self defense against the drug traffickers actively kidnapping, raping and murdering Americans, including those with dual citizenship living in Mexico.

maverick muse on February 3, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Just for fun, how about the RNC having the convention in Vegas?

I am thinking Obama has a Harry Reid death wish. Cannot wait to see what he does to Pelosi! With friends like Obama, who needs an enemy?

freeus on February 3, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Ed you need to go on Tripadvisor. Plan it right & it is practically a free trip – meaning you won’t spend much more than you would have had you been home all week.

Vegas is the least expensive get-away vacation you can take. sign-up for every single players club (free stuff & free play a-plenty), mind all the free food times at the various places the free shows, the odd fly in fly out times for next to nothing air fare, room rates are under 30 bucks a night on Fremont at the golden nugget & others now, and lots of other deals. The parks systems around Vegas is wonderful & the off-strip dining (like at Rosemary’s) is a real gourmet dream. Plus where else can you see the Museum of Atomic History?

batterup on February 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Notice how Obama never says anything about gambling in Atlantic City (you might call it gambling’s second city)? Could it be because New Jersey (at least until very recently) has been a dependably blue state, while Nevada tends to go more red (with the unfortunate exception of Dingy Harry – at least until November)?

kscheuller on February 3, 2010 at 3:59 PM

txhsmom on February 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Oh, now THAT is funny.

The Ugly American on February 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Let me fix this for you Congresswoman Berkley

mctowler on February 3, 2010 at 4:02 PM

The president dont have to tell me not to go to Vegas. My wallet tells me that. But he is still an idiot for trying to decide for others where they should spend there money.

When I first heard Obama’s latest stupidity, I was reminded of the rumor “explaining” the untimely demise of our president in 1963. Obama’s clique isn’t the only “family” demanding respect. What to make of Obama’s ONE VOICE now, or are interests divested to the point that “words, just words” don’t suffer repercussions when carelessly slicing?

maverick muse on February 3, 2010 at 4:03 PM

batterup on February 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM

The pain comes from the Vegas area being one of the hardest hit economic areas in the nation. House prices have fallen far above the average.
Yes, Obama is a slow learner…he still doesn’t understand that a strong economy is built upon low unemployment, not high taxes.

right2bright on February 3, 2010 at 4:07 PM

RAHM has yet to retract his “fvcking” retards.

txhsmom on February 3, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Oh, now THAT is funny.

The Ugly American on February 3, 2010 at 4:00 PM

And to make it fine, evidently Obama’s Attorney General Holder has issued an advertisement to recruit mentally retarded and mentally ill employees and attorneys for the US DEPT. JUSTICE.

maverick muse on February 3, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Heh. Looks like Goodman won’t be replacing Harry “A$$hole” Reid after all. No endorsement from Obama for you, Goodman!

NathanG on February 3, 2010 at 4:13 PM

I’d say he got BLISTERED by the mayor. Obviously, the guy hadn’t exactly gotten over the last remarks.

AnninCA on February 3, 2010 at 4:18 PM

SPANKED!!

Mayor – 1,
OBambi – 0

DuctTapeMyBrain on February 3, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Apparently, the results of the HotAir company meeting are in:

Chamberlain-esque candy-ass RINO is the way to go!

Seriously Ed, if you are trying to defend Obama in this, you are just as clueless as he is.

uknowmorethanme on February 3, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Last Feb. 2009, Obama said that companies which received bail-out money shouldn’t be allowed to spend it on trips to Las Vegas.

3 weeks later, Oracle (which didn’t receive any bail-out money) cancelled it annual North American Sales Kick-Off.

That meant that Las Vegas lost an event, which hosts 5,000+ people, who take over almost the rooms at Mandalay Bay, Luxor, and MGM Grand for 5 days. The dinner that takes over the MGM Convention Center. And all the meals, shows, cocktail parties, dinners and gaming those 5,000+ attendees would have had.

The reason given was that during these economically hard times it wouldn’t look right to have such an event.

Translation – We don’t want to be called out by Obama and the adminstration.

Las Vegas let’s give it up for Barrack “Mr. I Hate Vegas” Obama.

panzerkardinal on February 3, 2010 at 4:23 PM

It’s worth noting that Chicago is a convention center rival to Las Vegas, and that the competition for tight convention dollars has become fierce. Just sayin’.

RebeccaH on February 3, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I love this guy for this. And remember, Goodman was the lawyer for the real guy that Joe Pesci played in the movie Casino.

georgealbert on February 3, 2010 at 4:25 PM

So instead you write up a budget that barely spends more than 150% of your expected income. That’s some good fiscal responsibility there; I wish I could cut my budget down to 150% of my income.

gekkobear on February 3, 2010 at 4:27 PM

By the way, you are wrong to defend Obama on this. It plays on the stero-type that “Vegas” is a waste of money strictly on gambling.

For anyone who knows the numbers, most Vegas revenues come from travel and entertainment, food and beverage and shopping. Yes, gambling is the core, but Vegas is a very good place for families and vacations. For those of you defending Obama, would he have used DC instead of Vegas??

Goodman is right on this one and Obama is way off base

georgealbert on February 3, 2010 at 4:29 PM

The mayor is right. Because Obama is tone deaf and unable to learn from mistakes, he repeats mistakes. That makes him a “slow learner.”

BottomLine5 on February 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM

“You’d hear the same kind of advice from your parents, and probably would have rolled your eyes at its obvious nature.”

And that is precisely the point Ed, we suffer the indignity of parents forever treating their children as if they were still 5yo’s. God love ‘em, that’s just the way it is,and always has been. They provided & supported us growing up and they can take their liberties.

On the other hand, as it is we that support that supports the government, and they can keep their condenscention to themseves, thank you very much! I, nor anyone else needs a nanny-state to tell us what is good for us, if we want to go to Monaco, Macau or Vegas. That’s our own damn business!

Archimedes on February 3, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Yesterday thehill.com wrote this regarding Gibbs spin in response to Oboobma’s No Go Vegas

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs later clarified that Obama meant to target banks and other firms that received federal bailout funds. Gibbs said that the president believes in a strong tourism industry. . http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/79279-obama-takes-another-dig-at-las-vegas

Today, I read here that Oboobma said this in his back pedal attempt.

Pathetic. At least if you’re going to lie, get it straight with your buddy first. They can’t even do that right.

nwpammy on February 3, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Very O’Reillyesque in the defense of The One here.

He loathes Vegas and has shown twice now just how badly.

He did not say put off the expensive Disney World trip or the Hawaii vacation, he pointed out Las Vegas.

In America if we choose to visit Las Vegas and happen to throw a little cash into their economy it is our right.

Reid is right to question his commitment to us. After all it is only recently his wife (his #1 sounding board) became proud of this great Country.

I don’t doubt he prefer Americans vacation overseas as opposed to Las Vegas. I may be wrong but I do feel that.

FireBlogger on February 3, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I gotta tell you the way it is. This president is a real slow learner.

Bumper sticker material!

Mallard T. Drake on February 3, 2010 at 4:53 PM

lets see…..I can’t keep my thermostat at 72, I shouldn’t drive an suv, I shouldn’t go to Vegas…..who the hell does this guy think he is? Leave me alone!!

tommer74 on February 3, 2010 at 4:59 PM

“You don’t go out buying a boat”. How about a pickem up truck?

tbear44 on February 3, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I wasn’t going to comment here until I read what Ed said. Maybe he could have just said “don’t go blowing your money” instead of naming Vegas but, good grief, isn’t this a little anal retentive? It’s jumping on these kind of things that are going to come around and bite the right. How bout wearing the big boy pants for a while and just go after the real issues?

oakpack on February 3, 2010 at 5:05 PM

The President’s true colors are showing and they are truly ugly.

MSGTAS on February 3, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Oh, I get it, we buy a truck instead of a boat when we are tightening our belts.

lonestar1 on February 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Here’s my favorite Oscar Goodman story:

“On March 3, 2005, Goodman was speaking before a group of fourth-graders at Jo Mackey Elementary School. When asked what he would bring if marooned on a desert island, the mayor replied “a showgirl and a bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin.” Further, when asked about his hobbies, the mayor named drinking Bombay Sapphire Gin as a favorite. Later, when asked to comment, Goodman was unapologetic: “I’m the George Washington of mayors. I can’t tell a lie. If they didn’t want the answer, the kid shouldn’t have asked the question.” This caused an uproar from parents whose children heard the remark, and school officials said the remark was inappropriate. http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/text/2005/mar/02/518378833.html

Ann NY on February 3, 2010 at 5:43 PM

In fact, forget the stipulations- going to Vegas to blow your money is bad ANYTIME. Gambling is, generally speaking, an idiotic way of spending your money no matter what the economy is like.

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Let’s see here. Spending $500 to entertain oneself at a blackjack table for a few hours is “bad ANYTIME”, but spending the same $500 entertaining oneself doing something else is good? Who made you the entertainment police?

nico on February 3, 2010 at 5:48 PM

The prodigal Obama has no damn business scolding the citizenry about how to spend our own money. We don’t need to be reminded to set priorities by someone whose agenda consists of competing and ill-considered priorities while truly meaningful issues are relegated to secondary and incidental status. Slow learner? He’s a no learner.

cheeflo on February 3, 2010 at 5:53 PM

“I gotta tell you this, everybody says I shouldn’t say it, but I gotta tell you the way it is. This president is ineducable, and proudly so. a real slow learner.”

ya2daup on February 3, 2010 at 6:01 PM

lonestar1 on February 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM

We buy a national healthcare system when we are tightening our belts.

From money saved by avoiding the craps table.

nico on February 3, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Obama without TOTUS is such a danger to himself that some judge needs to assign him a conservator.

marybel on February 3, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I don’t know if he was reading from notes or from TOTUS, but this was apparently not an off the cuff remark, it was scripted:

“You don’t blow a bunch of cash in Vegas when you’re trying to save for college,” Obama said. His prepared remarks noted that he should wait for the crowd to applaud after this line. (emphasis mine)

So, the argument that this was simply a poor choice of words in an ad libbed comment seems to not be valid. Some speechwriter wrote this line in advance, and Obama delivered it, without challenging whether it was appropriate to again run down the economy of Las Vegas. Tone deaf just doesn’t even begin to describe it.

mcc4 on February 3, 2010 at 6:28 PM

The bottom line is that he thinks the American people are stupid. Let’s face it. He has an obvious contempt for the average american. Who does he think he is? I don’t need Obama telling me how to spend my money….get out of my life! It’s just another example of liberals thinking they need to control every aspect of our lives. They think we are incapable of making informed decisions…

sweet92169 on February 3, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Wasn’t Oscar Goodman the boss on the Bionic Woman? Dating myself I know, but I vaguely recall…

ted c on February 3, 2010 at 8:05 PM

sweet92169 on February 3, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Well, I think he was, indeed, making an innocuous statement. But I agree with the mayor, too. He was very dumb to use that comparison.

The fact is that he blew it last time with his remarks. Never mention Vegas again. This was a PR basic mistake, and he deserved to be taken to the woodshed over it.

It’s truly an amateurish mistake.

AnninCA on February 3, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Sorry, Ed, I disagree. I don’t need any SOB in Washington (especially the biggest spender in the history of the United States) lecturing me on fiscal responsibility. How I spend the money I earn that the government doesn’t steal from me in the form of taxes is MY BUSINESS. How he spends the money he didn’t earn that the government does steal from us in the form of taxes is also MY BUSINESS. If I want to blow it in Vegas I WILL. If Obama he wants to blow it on porkulus can go to hell.

Lizzy on February 3, 2010 at 1:35 PM

FIFY

AH_C on February 3, 2010 at 8:34 PM

If Obama he wants to blow it on porkulus he can go to hell.
AH_C on February 3, 2010 at 8:34 PM

D’ooh

AH_C on February 3, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Man oh man, did everyone hear the mayor’s comment on audio?!?!

Was parking at the doctor’s office and I waited to hear him finish. SHAAAZAMMM!

Here I am building my SaintsMobile in between doctor appointments and the mayor of Las Vegas just hits the “one” right between the eyes…

I recounted the mayor’s words to my doc and he said, “great – anything that brings this guy down, I’m all for….”

WHO DAT!!

cane_loader on February 3, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I would suggest that this is just another case of the Pot calling the Kettle Black Taupe, but that would probably be racist.

rgranger on February 3, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Keep messin with Vegas Pinnochio! Ya pissed off the mob in Chitown now your pissin on the mob in Vegas!

How much of this Chitown punk can a modern mobster take?

My money, my business, Urkel STFU!

dhunter on February 3, 2010 at 8:42 PM

It’s truly an amateurish mistake.

AnninCA on February 3, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Its worse than that he is driving business away from Vegas and his SEIU buddies. He is threatening businesses to spend money wisely, (costing Vegas huge $), business fears what this fool will do next, he is meddling in business he has no business being in. He has cost Vegas Billions!

He drove the stock market down last week with the bank regulation crap he is a terrorist domestic!

dhunter on February 3, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Barry is not a slow learner on the affirmative action scaling.

bayview on February 3, 2010 at 9:01 PM

“This president is a real slow learner”. Are you implying that he’s retaaaded?

Or, he just doesn’t give a sh*t, Mayor. As far as Barry is concerned, you are no more than dust under his noble feet. And if he feels like throwing Vegas under the bus, he will.

Arrogance, pure and simple.

disa on February 3, 2010 at 9:08 PM

That’s why Hahvahd hid Zero’s grades: set aside admission and grades inflation. Bambi did, however, receive legitimate high marks in snideness and pretense both considered essentials on The Square.

Zero just got an endorsement from fellow traveler Bin Laden. He sent in another videotape and says he thinks Obmama is doing a great job as president.

viking01 on February 3, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Mr. President,

Don’t go to Delaware

cane_loader on February 3, 2010 at 9:36 PM

/SEIU

cane_loader on February 3, 2010 at 9:37 PM

All he had to do from the start was be bipartisan, be a uniter, not a divider, and Barack Obama would have been a successful president. I would have given him a chance to succeed.

Too late.

he chose vinegar

cane_loader on February 3, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Mayor Goodman nails it, Bambi is not only a slow learner he is plain stupid. Harry Reid is truly screwed now having hitched his wagon to Obamacile.

geo11 on February 3, 2010 at 10:42 PM