Las Vegas mayor: Obama is “a real slow learner”; Update: Reid questioning Obama’s patriotism?

posted at 11:36 am on February 3, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Las Vegas mayor Oscar Goodman lambasted Barack Obama yesterday after Obama made a reference to his city in a speech demanding better fiscal discipline earlier in the day. A year ago, Obama raised Goodman’s ire by demanding an end to expensive corporate meetings in Las Vegas, but smoothed things over with an apology and a clarification. This time, Goodman says an apology won’t cut it and that Obama has proven himself to be “a real slow learner” (via Gateway Pundit):

“I guess you’ve all seen the president’s remarks or read about the president’s remarks, well I’ve got some remarks of my own. I was back in Washington, D.C. about two weeks ago, going up and down the halls of the capitol telling people about our economy here, trying to get them to be sympathetic to what we’re trying to accomplish, then I have to read what President Obama said.

“He has a real psychological hang up about the entertainment capitol of the world. An apology won’t be acceptable this time, I don’t know where his vendetta comes from but we’re not going to let him make his bones by lambasting Las Vegas, that’s why (the press) is here today.

“He didn’t learn his lesson the first time, but when he hurt our economy by his ill conceived rhetoric, we didn’t think it would happen again, but now that it has I want to assure you, when he comes I’ll do everything I can to give him the boot back to Washington and to visit his failures back there.

“I gotta tell you this, everybody says I shouldn’t say it, but I gotta tell you the way it is. This president is a real slow learner.”

I find myself in the odd position of defending Obama on this score.  His speech contained very clear conditionals (emphases mine):

When times are tough, you — you tighten your belts.  You don’t go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage.  You don’t blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you’re trying to save for college.

Well … yeah.  Maybe Obama would have been better advised to keep it generic by saying “in the casinos” rather than “on Vegas”, but otherwise, this is only remarkable for its banality.  You’d hear the same kind of advice from your parents, and probably would have rolled your eyes at its obvious nature.

Just as obviously, Las Vegas doesn’t need any more negative connotations on its gambling business in this tough economy.  In that sense, it’s difficult to blame Goodman for overreacting after last year’s Obama scolding, which really was ill-informed. Goodman won’t lose any popularity points by blasting Obama again, at least not in Las Vegas itself.

But the man who will pay most will be Harry Reid, who has spent the past year carrying Obama’s water on Capitol Hill.  He can’t win re-election without a huge turnout in Sin City and a big spread.  If Obama becomes unpopular in Las Vegas, Reid’s re-election will become an impossibility rather than the improbability it is at the moment.

And of course, Mayor Goodman diagnoses Obama perfectly by calling him “a slow learner” — but does so on the wrong grounds.

Update: Obama clarified his remarks today in a letter to Reid:

After sparking a firestorm of criticism from Nevada’s elected officials for suggesting that people saving money for college shouldn’t blow it in Las Vegas, Obama told U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in a letter that he wasn’t saying anything negative about Las Vegas.

It was the second time since taking office that Obama singled out Las Vegas as a potential example of spending excessively.

“I was making the simple point that families use vacation dollars, not college tuition money, to have fun,” Obama said, according to the letter released by Reid’s office. “There is no place better to have fun than Vegas, one of our country’s great destinations.”

Do you think Nevada Democrats are feeling the pressure?  Rep. Shelley Berkley unloaded on Obama, too, while Reid wondered whether Obama would prefer Americans spend their money in other countries:

“Enough is enough!” Democratic Congresswoman Shelley Berkley said in a statement. “President Obama needs to stop picking on Las Vegas and he needs to let Americans decide for themselves how and where to spend their hard-earned vacation dollars.”

Nevada’s tourism has been hit hard during the past two years as consumers everywhere tighten leisure spending and companies spend less on meetings and conventions.

Reid, one of Obama’s closest allies, issued a statement headlined “Reid to Obama: ‘Lay off Las Vegas’” and was unusually blunt in his reaction.

“The President needs to lay off Las Vegas and stop making it the poster child for where people shouldn’t be spending their money,” Reid said. “I would much rather tourists and business travelers spend their money in Las Vegas than spend it overseas.”

So now Reid is questioning Obama’s patriotism?  Talk about running off the rails!  I know Reid needs to distance himself from Obama, but that’s just ridiculous hyperbole.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Oh be quiet! Can’t you tell we’re thoroughly enjoying ourselves making fun of Ba. Hypocrite Owebama?

txhsmom on February 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I find myself in the odd position of defending Obama on this score.

*facepalm* Ok Ed, so you agree with his intent, but Obama completely botched that with his word choice. What exemplary leadership for a sitting President to take swipes at a city of tourism that is trying to stay afloat since his first tongue lashing. With Obama’s poor word choice, he poked a hole in their life preservers. (for the record: I’ve never been to LV and don’t gamble. It’s a freedom issue.)

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

You do see the hypocrisy of Obama’s statement, don’t you? Obama has purchased a one ticket to the inferno of national debt with record spending and he has the audacity to lecture Americans, adults mind you, where and how to spend their money? If someone wants to make poor decisions with their money, then it’s their choice. Obama is a control freak.

This is another example of Obama’s mantra: do as I say, not as I do.

conservative pilgrim on February 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

You can agree all you like. That’s your right. But in my opinion, no American president has the right to chastize the American people, or single out a city, to make a point. Especially after the mess he’s made of everything. He spends OUR money like it’s an unending waterfall of cash at his disposal. SO for him to take trips to try and garner Olympics, on the tax payers dime…and then cast stones on everyone else….is total B.S!!!! He’s the president, not the King.

capejasmine on February 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM

To think it’s just some place to drink, gamble and whore around is plain ignorant.

TheBigOldDog on February 3, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Meet me, Bob “Ignorant” Mbx.

Apparently, I’ve been doing it wrong all these years. Uh, does this also hold true for Atlantic City?

Full Disclosure: I’ve never read an article in PlayBoy either.

BobMbx on February 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM

vermillionsky on February 3, 2010 at 12:05 PM

oops. ‘jettison’ must have been a freudian slip.

vermillionsky on February 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM

It’s absurd. Americans have a right to stupidly gamble their money away. Yeah. And Obama has a right to have a set of beliefs on what is a stupid idea when you’re in a tough financial position.

I think the problem is that The Big Spender™ said it without a hint of irony. What does he know about spending discipline?

capitalist piglet on February 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Obama a slow learner? Was there any doubt when he pronounced the Republican win in Massachusetts was due to lingering anger toward Bush?

Slow learner is a nice term. This guy could teach a brick a few things about being dense.

joedoe on February 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Some of you guys are blind partisans who would attack Obama for saying the sky is blue.

Singling out industries? Going to Vegas is a figure of speech. I’m pretty sure he meant gambling in general. And, who cares? If it’s good advice, single out whatever industry you want.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with what he said. Only pandering politicians from Nevada and people who will hate Obama no matter what he does (read: unreasonable people) will attack what is simply good advice.

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Have you ever had a job in the real world? A non public sector job? Do you belong to any industry trade group or professional group? I know the answer has to be no because you have no idea what really happens in Vegas.

TheBigOldDog on February 3, 2010 at 12:09 PM

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I think your Irony meter is broken, seriously. Obama is lecturing the country on saving money and you don’t find that odd to do so while trying to pass a budget that has a one-year defecit of 1.6 trillion dollars?

Mord on February 3, 2010 at 12:09 PM

The IRS —The New Vegas. “You put your money in, and you’re guaranteed a hatful of jack ‘n squat”

ted c on February 3, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Drudge has a piece up on an IRS tender for bids on 60 Remington Model 870 shotguns. Just sayin’,..

a capella on February 3, 2010 at 12:10 PM

It is my sense that Obama’s comments hurt the convention/meeting business. Individuals who go to Vegas will continue to go, but the big corporations will be nervous, afraid of raising the government’s ire.

The man really is tone deaf.

E9RET on February 3, 2010 at 12:10 PM

So now Reid is questioning Obama’s patriotism? Talk about running off the rails! I know Reid needs to distance himself from Obama, but that’s just ridiculous hyperbole.

It’s the progressives eating their own. It’s quite fun to watch.

mizflame98 on February 3, 2010 at 12:10 PM

What happens in Congress, stays in Congress…

cntrlfrk on February 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM

He would be wrong if he did.

BobMbx on February 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Does Obama have evidence that show people are spending their college tuition in Vegas?

TN Mom on February 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Full Disclosure: I’ve never read an article in PlayBoy either.

BobMbx on February 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM

AC has conventions and sporting events but it’s nothing compared to Vegas because it doesn’t have all of the advantages of Vegas:

1) Ideal weather year round
2) large international airport
3) Enormous convention space
4) Hugh, low cost supply of rooms
5) Nighttime entertainment options for the conventioneers

TheBigOldDog on February 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM

a capella on February 3, 2010 at 12:10 PM

See, the dealer just wants to encourage “all players” to place their bets in a timely fashion.

Game over.

ted c on February 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM

libs are sooooo hyper-sensative.

personaly, i am tired of “open-the-checkbook” barak instructing me on tightening my budget.

jbh45 on February 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM

It’s quite easy to understand Obama’s mindset when it comes to Vegas. The entertainment capital of the world is a shining example of capitalism and individual responsibility; hence Obama’s progressive nature is diametrically opposed to its success.

smfoushee on February 3, 2010 at 12:13 PM

First they go after gambling and before ya know it they will try to take the salt right off your dinner table. mmmmmmmmm

joedoe on February 3, 2010 at 12:13 PM

You know what Reid needs? Someone to come to Searchlight and rile up the troops. Someone like,… the’Cuda.

a capella on February 3, 2010 at 11:58 AM

She’ll be there on March 27th with the Tea Party Express.

Knucklehead on February 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

You don’t blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you’re trying to save for college.

Yeah, I guess the problem I have is that this statement is coming from the man who is borrowing huge amounts of money in order to throw it down various rat holes (i.e. liberal pet projects and nationalizing anything that isn’t nailed down) with little hope of ever seeing any of it again.

At least when you gamble, you have a chance of coming out ahead and, when you don’t, you’re responsible for your losses.

landshark on February 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Obama should have used the generic term casinos. I don’t think he realizes (maybe he does?) that he’s the President of ALL OF THE United States.

However, I don’t feel bad for Vegas. It’s a city that promotes itself as a sin city (“What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”).

Caper29 on February 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Just another lecture from Obama. Always with the advice for others. As the great Ronald Reagan said, Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives. This administration seems to have that concept backward. Man has free will and should stand or fall because of their own choices. Good or bad.

chief on February 3, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Relatively tame by Reid’s standards. Keep in mind, he declared the war in Iraq lost several times, called GWB stupid to high school students, and otherwise made these outlandish comments.

Still, after as scorched as Nevada Dems got by the rat bastard traitor’s comments last year, you can’t blame them for not sitting still and taking it again when Vegas is singled out as a place to be avoided.

highhopes on February 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM

What party is the Mayor?

Thanos on February 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I swear if Obama and his minions were WWII Army mine sweepers, they’d enter the minefield walking backwards and sweeping behind themselves. What a bunch of boobs.

Patrick S on February 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Yeah, the irony here is that Obama is right. When times are tough(hell, at all times really), people should be responsible with their money and not piss it away at casinos or betting on sports.But he got himself into trouble for 1) singling out Vegas by name and 2) not recognizing his hypocrisy for gambling away our children and grandchildren’s futures by spending like there’s no tomorrow.This is what happens when you live in the fantasy world he appears to reside in. When you’re running up trillion-plus dollar deficits, it’s best to just shut your hole about being responsible with money.Doughboy on February 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM

That’s what gets my goat about this. He of all people is lecturing us about being responsible with our money!!!!! No cr@p! Really? And yet our children and grandkids will be paying off the debt he’s run up. This first year all I’ve heard is about the massive partying at the WH and let’s not forget the very publicized “date nights”, all on our dime! (*&^%$%$&*&^*!!! It makes me want to curse like a sailor!

4shoes on February 3, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Obama bashes Las Vegas during trip to New Hampshire! How much money did it cost the taxpayers for Obama’s visit??

TN Mom on February 3, 2010 at 12:17 PM

chief on February 3, 2010 at 12:15 PM

The DNC is going have to fix this by holding their 2012 convention in Vegas. Of course it will be dirt cheap after the administration has attacked the city for four years.

highhopes on February 3, 2010 at 12:17 PM

LOL! Rush just played the clip. On a roll…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I’m beginning to think that Biden’s the brains of the operation.

joeindc44 on February 3, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I’m rolling my eyes because he quite obviously doesn’t follow his own advice. And that makes the Vegas mention even more of an unforced error. You would think he would understand by now that the first rule is to do no harm.

This should be the Obamateurism of the day.

JeffWeimer on February 3, 2010 at 12:18 PM

What’s so astonishing is that he’s so full of himself he doesn’t even realize how hypocritical he is…running around the country telling people and businesses to tighten their belts while DC spends and borrows like there’s no tomorrow. Truly stunning.

scalleywag on February 3, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Thanos on February 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM

former dim, now indie

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I find myself in the odd position of defending Obama on this score. His speech contained very clear conditionals (emphases mine):

No defense is warrented in this comment, no matter the conditions set on it, it is foolish and iresponsible of a President to specifically name a city in the context of foolish or iresponible spending.
It would be like the President of The United States specifically nameing a private citizen and fingereing them in a partisan attack……..wait, I guess he has done that on a number of occasions as well.

Koa on February 3, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Obama stupidity tsunami

bloviator on February 3, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Consider the coinage stolen.

baldilocks on February 3, 2010 at 12:19 PM

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I also remember Michelle O last year telling us that eating our vegetables is healthy too. She was given grand reviews for her powerful message. Thanks MO for that inspiring information. B+

Electrongod on February 3, 2010 at 12:21 PM

SLOW LEARNER putting it mildly isn’t it?????

ohiobabe on February 3, 2010 at 12:21 PM

O/T: Jon Stewart is going to be on O’Reilly’s show tonight. What could go wrong with that one? lol

joedoe on February 3, 2010 at 12:21 PM

KSM trial moving to Vegas in 3…2…1…

ted c on February 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Wouldn’t doubt that one bit. My biggest beef with Obama’s lecture is they are flying all over the freaking country on our dime, going to Copenhagen and yucking it up, spending like there is no tomorrow. Who the Hell is he to tell me and my family anything? What a POS LOSER!!!

TXMomof3 on February 3, 2010 at 12:22 PM

My last comment got eaten…

Oh well, just wanted to say, 0bama hasn’t a leg to stand on, yet he sits there and lectures us on being responsible for our spending. That is what gets my goat. Our kids and grandkids will be paying off the debt he’s incurred, yet for the past year we’ve had to listen to all the parties at the WH, the trips he’s made, “date night”, all on our dime. At this point he needs to shut the f*ck up. I’m so pissed.

4shoes on February 3, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Goodman, Reid, and Ensign have basically put themselves in a situation where they’re now on the side of blowing your money on Vegas trips and scrapping the college fund. Clueless.

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Boo-hoo!

Narutoboy on February 3, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Obama is the last person to defend on conditionals, since he doesn’t keep his promises.

Kini on February 3, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Obama without TOTUS is such a danger to himself that some judge needs to assign him a conservator.

marybel on February 3, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Oops, it didn’t get eaten. Sorry for the double rant!

4shoes on February 3, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Was this dialect from dear leader too colorful for Harry’s taste?

How soon hypocritical douche progressives, from no matter what angle you look at it, forget and eat their own. Stunning. Absolutely stunning.

selias on February 3, 2010 at 12:27 PM

TXMomof3 on February 3, 2010 at 12:22 PM

What! You resent Pelosi’s travel and entertainment expenses for her family on the taxpayers dime?
You don’t understand the concept of royalty?

a capella on February 3, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Somebody please check the Koran for an official policy on gambling.
After a second presidential Fatwa…
Is Obama letting his (true faith) Islamic devotion show.
If so, we can forget about putting America’s interests first.
We may have a “radical Islam” sympathizer (enabler) at 1600 Penn Ave?

esblowfeld on February 3, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I find myself in the odd position of defending Obama on this score.

You have to be kidding me! After the budget he dropped on Congress, you want to give him a pass on telling people how not to spend the money that they earn?

It’s insulting.

ladyingray on February 3, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Nobel Peace Prize winner declares war on Las Vegas.

TN Mom on February 3, 2010 at 12:32 PM

So now they want to Lay off everyone in Las Vegas? Boy the democrats really hat people who have jobs.

portlandon on February 3, 2010 at 12:32 PM

hat=hate

portlandon on February 3, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Ed, I think you could put more emphasis on the very salient point that in this statement, Obama not only was talking down to Americans as if they are too stupid to take care of themselves, but he has no room to talk. He is spending TRILLIONS over and above what we can afford on silly luxury items such as Obamacare and cap and trade.

In her response Shelly hits the mark on one point, but we need to stress the other and use it to club him mercilessly for his hypocrisy.

csdeven on February 3, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Ahahaha!

Toodle-loo, Harry. Thanks, Barry.

petefrt on February 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM

OT: did anyone have the stomach to watch dear leader talk with his senate folk?

i’m sure it was all blame bush and the gop in all their failures

cmsinaz on February 3, 2010 at 12:35 PM

If people want to blow their kids’ college money in Vegas, who cares? Do you really think that kids from those types of families are going to be intellectual powerhouses anyway? Just don’t ask me to pay for college for other peoples’ kids.

Lou Budvis on February 3, 2010 at 12:35 PM

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Time to use some of your college fund towards a new irony meter.

selias on February 3, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Electrongod on February 3, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Didn’t it turn out that her vegetables she grew were contaminated? I remember thinking it was the perfect metaphor for the entire Obama administration.

TheBigOldDog on February 3, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Presidents must choose their words wisely. Obama chose poorly.

Bringing up the subject at all on the heels of his budget announcement and news of Pelosi’s use of the airforce to commute her family and the trip to Copenhagen are worse than hypocritical, they’re A DISGRACE.

dogsoldier on February 3, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Sort of related: I heard a radio news snippet about how families are suffering from hunger in AMerica more so than before.
It was reported that here in ND a survey of families (don’t know how many) showed that a larger % of people are forced to make choices between paying for heat, rent, & medicine over food.
The report went on to marvel at how the current food programs are evidently not doing enough to cover the need.
I do have to say that I am forced to make food decisions:
no Doritoes, pop, junk food in general over STAPLES like flour, sugar, etc.
For the last many years I have really cut down on buying processed foods.
And there are some bills I just do not pay at times when I have to choose between them or food.
But I have assets I could sell if I had to to take care of myself.
I honestly, from my own experience, believe lots of families who are reportedly ‘going hungry’ are doing so voluntarily bcs they would rather own that big screen TV, pay for cel phone service, have a car when they can walk, etc.
I have been down in the dumps economically before & there is no excuse for going hungry in America.
There are countless charities, aside from govt programs that are there to help people.
Perhaps charities need to do some better footwork to determine the communitie’s needs.
But hunger in America should not be an issue.
We use so much of our income to buy things we think are necessary that are not.

Badger40 on February 3, 2010 at 12:38 PM

LOL! Rush just played the clip. On a roll…

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I loved it! I also loved his theories. Either Obama got rolled by a hooker, or he’s trying to deliberately tank Reids re-election bid. LOL

capejasmine on February 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM

It’s insulting.

ladyingray on February 3, 2010 at 12:31 PM

To clarify: I mean Obummer’s remarks are insulting, not Ed’s opinion.

ladyingray on February 3, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Badger40 on February 3, 2010 at 12:38 PM

I agree, and I’m so sorry for your situation. I wished I lived closer, to help you out.

I have been giving what I can to local food banks in my area. My county, while not a mass of population, has an 11% unemployment rate right now, so there is need, and while we can, we will help.

capejasmine on February 3, 2010 at 12:42 PM

And the government continues it’s Nanny State philosophy by telling us how to manage and spend our money. STAY OUT OF OUR LIVES!

fbcmusicman on February 3, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Apart from the laughable unintended irony of these Obummer’s remarks, has anyone else started to notice how crass his language and phrasing are?

PaddyJ on February 3, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Okay, my I’ve been trying to think of something nice to say about our President all morning. Here’s what I came up with:

Well, he never lets me wait very long before answering the question “How much dumber can this guy get?”

Scott P on February 3, 2010 at 12:46 PM

In this country every person has the right to spend their money however they wish. Obama has absolutely no right to lecture people on financail responsiblilty especially since the government doesn’t know the meaning of responsible spending. Yeah, there are stupid people who blow every cent they make but that is none of the government’s business. Maybe if people knew that the government wouldn’t be there to bail them out of a mess of their own making people would be more responsible…..it could happen!

AusTex girl on February 3, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Funny thing is that Chicago is losing convention business hand over fist right now thanks to Mayor Daley and his antics, but for B.O. to go after Las Vegas, considering that even there they are feeling the pinch due to the economic situation, is further proof of what kind of damage a Chicago Democrat Machine politician can do once one is placed in power.

pilamaye on February 3, 2010 at 12:47 PM

O/T Via Drudge: The IRS is buying shotguns! http://bit.ly/bxSUvQ

TheBigOldDog on February 3, 2010 at 12:47 PM

When times are tough, you — you tighten your belts. You don’t go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage. You don’t blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you’re trying to save for college.

Now turn that finger around and repeat.

thevastlane on February 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I hate to say it but Reid is right. Obama should stop trying to lecture us about how to spend our money, and quite demonizing gambling and Vegas. Those are big industries. He should get back tot he white house and

exceller on February 3, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I think Obama is working to get Reid unseated. Can’t be anything else.

jukin on February 3, 2010 at 12:51 PM

The mayor of LV is right – and is wrong (again) here …

Ed insists that Obmama’s advice was the same kind of advice we’d get from our parents. Big problem here though – Obama IS NOT our “daddy” … He’s not a parent to any of us and shouldn’t be lecturing us on conduct in any shape, manner, or form. If you boss came up to you and told you that he didn’t think you were doing well enough financially to take a trip to Las Vegas – you’d prolly tell him to go jump in front of a bus.

You’d be RIGHT for doing so.

Second, even if Obama were our “dad”, his financial lectures to people who KNOW WTF they’re doing are misplaced. My Dad was a chemical engineer and he at least knows better than to give me advice in my field of expertise – which is electronics. Please remind me of President Obama’s success in the private financial sector?

Oh yeah – that’s right -he hasn’t had any in his entire life. He’s a community organizer.

HondaV65 on February 3, 2010 at 12:52 PM

oops, he should get back to the white house and do what he keeps saying he is going to do and go over that gigantic $3 trillion dollar budget line by line and look for savings. and quite trying to advise what families and small business needs to do. Its plainly obvious that he has no clue. He is a human wrecking ball when it comes to the economy and business environment in particular.

exceller on February 3, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Winnings are taxable income, aren’t they? So those who win are making their ‘contributions’ to the Treasury, while gambling losses aren’t deductible.

And the prostitutes are registered and licensed, so they’re paying income taxes as well.

Sure–don’t anyone go to Vegas and see how fast Washington whines that revenues are down. The same can be said for the casinos at Atlantic City and here in Niagara Falls, where the Senecas runs a casino that helps their entire Nation. And lotteries–states should stop them, too, so seniors on fixed incomes don’t have cause to worry about food ever running out.

At least people are making money in Vegas, not borrowing 52% more than they’re taking in to keep a champagne lifestyle on a Mad Dog 20/20 budget.

Liam on February 3, 2010 at 12:54 PM

With due respect folks you have to get past the idea that Vegas is about individuals on holiday. It’s not. Vacationers don’t keep those rooms filled, especially during the week. It’s about business people and conventions. That’s who Obama is influencing and that’s who pays the bills in Vegas. That’s who keeps all those matrons, janitors, construction people, food service people employed. You know, all the people who’s unions endorsed Obama.

TheBigOldDog on February 3, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Obama is becoming a scold. American’s don’t need that – unless you live in a cave you understand that when times are tough you have to make sacrifices. We understand that we need to feed our children healthy food rather than junk food. We get it already! Anyone who chooses otherwise does so of their free will, not because of ingnorance. Now go back to work and come up with some real ideas to fix the economy instead of acting like the parent of a bunch of wayward teenagers.

thevastlane on February 3, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Judging by the number of states that have lotteries I can only conclude that gambling is my patriotic duty. That’s why I enjoy gambling. Only, I prefer a good game of poker while sipping whiskey. Still spreads the wealth around-sometimes my way, sometimes not. Just plain ol’ fun, come rain or shine.

Oh, and Bluesite, generally speaking, you’re an idiot.

Gang-of-One on February 3, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Ed, I do admire the goodness of your heart here as you do your best to give Barack the benefit of the doubt on this one, but the Mayor of LV is dead on the money – POTUS most definitely IS a slow learner and the demonstrated evidence of this has nothing to do with the substance of what POTUS said, but the fact that he said it at all!

His statement was a trite & utterly gratuitous admonishment stating the obvious that people who can’t afford to blow their cash shouldn’t. What’s not obvious, however, is WHY the President chose to repeat the very same “advice” using the same example which caused his own important ally Harry Reid so much public grief the last time he did so.

If he truly felt compelled to make the same shopworn, patronizing point to Americans yet again, why did he pick Las Vegas yet again? Why not Atlantic City or state lotteries or Indian casinos as any other politician who is NOT a slow learner would have done had he felt the inexplicably urgent need to state the obvious again? Why stick it to LV one more time when doing so caused problems for one of his own critically important allies in the past, and by extension deliberately sabotage the prospects of his own agenda as POTUS?

This is yet one more instance of the alleged ‘smartest politician ever to walk the West Wing’ clearly not living up to his billing. He’s obviously not adept enough to learn from past mistakes, to adapt on his own to the current circumstances & to refrain, if only for political expediency’s sake, from reflexively repeating verbatim the clicheed catch-phrases & moth-eaten platitudes authored for him by others for the campaign, the very same tired truisms which had previously gottem him into the very same hot water with the very same people he NEEDS to help accomplish his own agenda.

The man displays a shocking lack of agility whilst thinking on his own two feet.

leilani on February 3, 2010 at 12:58 PM

HondaV65 on February 3, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Amen to that. Well said.

RepubChica on February 3, 2010 at 1:00 PM

HondaV65 on February 3, 2010 at 12:52 PM

LOL. Good post.

Geochelone on February 3, 2010 at 1:05 PM

TN Mom on February 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Considering who will pay for college tuition, (under Obama’s plan to subsidize every dollar), and with the liberal curriculum/poison instituted in “higher education”, I would prefer parents blow every last dime of their kids tuition in Vegas or anywhere they choose.

Rovin on February 3, 2010 at 1:09 PM

As someone who lives ten minutes from Atlantic City, I see all the pain and suffering of our area bleeding jobs because of our main industry, the casinos, hurting, just like people in Las Vegas, though he hasn’t trashed us yet so it could be worse. When we lose jobs there, we lose jobs in every other sector. Comments like this totally outrage me as BHO’s words are extremely careless and extremely hypocritical since he is spending so recklessly.

We bought a duplex 14 years ago that is small but we nicely refurbished it. It is convenient for casino workers and before December 2008, never had a problem renting out the upstairs (we live downstairs). Since my county has lost so many jobs in the last year, we have had a hard time renting it. It’s now vacant again for the third time since December 2008 and no matter how many times we reduce the rent, no one is looking.

I have never in my life been so depressed and felt so hopeless. I knew things were going to be bad because of OWEbama, but I didn’t imagine they would be this bad. I am willing to take a job with a salary less than I made 20 years ago, despite my education and experience but there are none of those either. I can’t go back to waitress like I did during undergrad because I physically can’t do it after my pancreatectomy and I am willing to do anything that offers health insurance as I am getting close to losing my COBRA.

margategop517 on February 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Obama is probably trying to punish Steve Wynn (owner of many hotel/casinos in LV). Wynn has been quite vocal in his support of capitalism as has at least one other Vegas casino owner I saw on TV a couple of months ago.

I recall talk about how one of them had revamped his business structure, laid off employees, tightened the belt, and now had a better, leaner operation. He also said he would not need to hire workers again.

Obama hates it when the free market/entrepreneurship actually works.

Greyledge Gal on February 3, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Reid is clearly CYAing and distancing himself from Teh Won. Too little too late Harry…

davek70 on February 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Reid knows that his defense of Obama last year is one of the things hurting him now, it was the beginning and it’s not getting any better for him. Nevada is ready to retire him, unless he does it himself to save face.

Jvette on February 3, 2010 at 1:11 PM

The Precedent is retarded. Truly.

neurosculptor on February 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Guest blogger Cassy nailed this. It was a stupid and hypocritical thing for Obama to say.

On top of all this idiocy, these digs at Las Vegas absolutely reek of hypocrisy. Obama has turned the White House into some kind of night club, hosting weekly parties for celebrities and DC insiders. He jets back and forth to Copenhagen on the taxpayers’ dime. He takes his wife and family out to Broadway shows and and concerts. He uses taxpayer dollars to fly to New York for dinner and a play, for Chrissakes. And other Democrats are no better. Nancy Pelosi is the best example, as she’s apparently been using the Air Force as a personal chauffeur for herself and her family. Not too long ago, the House Appropriations Committee was ordering another round of Gulfstream jets for politicians to use. There was an 11-day trip a group of politicians took to New Zealand “to study climate change”, featuring fireworks, snorkeling, reef dives, and a trip to the South Pole. It ended with a stay in a luxury hotel in Hawaii. The government wastes money in a million different ways, yet Obama wants to lecture us about how to spend money responsibly? This from the man who has quadrupled our deficit in just one year?

chunderroad on February 3, 2010 at 1:14 PM

TN Mom on February 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Yes, he has evidence: his saying so. That makes it true, in his head, about the same way God said, “Let there be light” and there was light.

The difference, in reality, is that God created Obama, not the other way around.

Liam on February 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM

This shouldn’t surprise anyone given that Obama’s first, second, third, fourth, fifth and last political instincts are to employ class warfare at every conceivable opportunity and pit groups of Americans against each other for his own presumptive benefit.

I don’t understand the desire to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who’s actively demonstrated several hundred times already that they don’t deserve it.

Cylor on February 3, 2010 at 1:17 PM

This Vegas riff of the Indonesian imbecile sounds eerily similar to his riffs on doctors wanting to chop off feet and remove tonsils .. for the CASH! “$30,000 … $40,000 … even $50,000″ for a procedure that really clocks in around $1,000. Or his musings about storm casualities … “10,000 people just died in a tornado in Kansas.” You mean it was only 12? What’s the problem being off only by 3 orders of magnitude?

This are classic sound bites from the Indonesian imbecile, trying to express some demented and ridiculous idea by lying about everything he can possibly wrap his little pea-brain around.

neurosculptor on February 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM

What the hell, Ed?

His remarks are meaningless. You know damn well they are empty words, why bother go through and try to parse what he said and agree with it?

Especially after seeing the man’s actions and deeds.

This puts you in a position of defending an empty, meaningless statement made by an empty suit president.

You are better than that.

DaveC on February 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Mr. Limbaugh is making me laugh today.

Geochelone on February 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Cylor on February 3, 2010 at 1:17 PM

That’s easy, and the very definition of insanity: Doing the same bad thing over and over, all the time expecting a different result.

Liberals want a certain result, and have decided a narrow course of getting what they want. They’re like Mulder of X-Files: I want to believe!

But, unlike Mulder, they don’t want to do the work needed to hold that belief in truth, because the belief comes first. All else must conform to that decided conclusion–like how numbers were fudged and all else that was done to push ‘global warming’ into reality when true reality denies the theory.

It’s the ‘progressive’ way, and anyone who disputes the conclusions and/or methods is somehow a denier and/or a bigot.

Liam on February 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I don’t mind Obama and Las Vegas damaging each other.

Kralizec on February 3, 2010 at 1:27 PM