Las Vegas mayor: Obama is “a real slow learner”; Update: Reid questioning Obama’s patriotism?

posted at 11:36 am on February 3, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Las Vegas mayor Oscar Goodman lambasted Barack Obama yesterday after Obama made a reference to his city in a speech demanding better fiscal discipline earlier in the day. A year ago, Obama raised Goodman’s ire by demanding an end to expensive corporate meetings in Las Vegas, but smoothed things over with an apology and a clarification. This time, Goodman says an apology won’t cut it and that Obama has proven himself to be “a real slow learner” (via Gateway Pundit):

“I guess you’ve all seen the president’s remarks or read about the president’s remarks, well I’ve got some remarks of my own. I was back in Washington, D.C. about two weeks ago, going up and down the halls of the capitol telling people about our economy here, trying to get them to be sympathetic to what we’re trying to accomplish, then I have to read what President Obama said.

“He has a real psychological hang up about the entertainment capitol of the world. An apology won’t be acceptable this time, I don’t know where his vendetta comes from but we’re not going to let him make his bones by lambasting Las Vegas, that’s why (the press) is here today.

“He didn’t learn his lesson the first time, but when he hurt our economy by his ill conceived rhetoric, we didn’t think it would happen again, but now that it has I want to assure you, when he comes I’ll do everything I can to give him the boot back to Washington and to visit his failures back there.

“I gotta tell you this, everybody says I shouldn’t say it, but I gotta tell you the way it is. This president is a real slow learner.”

I find myself in the odd position of defending Obama on this score.  His speech contained very clear conditionals (emphases mine):

When times are tough, you — you tighten your belts.  You don’t go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage.  You don’t blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you’re trying to save for college.

Well … yeah.  Maybe Obama would have been better advised to keep it generic by saying “in the casinos” rather than “on Vegas”, but otherwise, this is only remarkable for its banality.  You’d hear the same kind of advice from your parents, and probably would have rolled your eyes at its obvious nature.

Just as obviously, Las Vegas doesn’t need any more negative connotations on its gambling business in this tough economy.  In that sense, it’s difficult to blame Goodman for overreacting after last year’s Obama scolding, which really was ill-informed. Goodman won’t lose any popularity points by blasting Obama again, at least not in Las Vegas itself.

But the man who will pay most will be Harry Reid, who has spent the past year carrying Obama’s water on Capitol Hill.  He can’t win re-election without a huge turnout in Sin City and a big spread.  If Obama becomes unpopular in Las Vegas, Reid’s re-election will become an impossibility rather than the improbability it is at the moment.

And of course, Mayor Goodman diagnoses Obama perfectly by calling him “a slow learner” — but does so on the wrong grounds.

Update: Obama clarified his remarks today in a letter to Reid:

After sparking a firestorm of criticism from Nevada’s elected officials for suggesting that people saving money for college shouldn’t blow it in Las Vegas, Obama told U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in a letter that he wasn’t saying anything negative about Las Vegas.

It was the second time since taking office that Obama singled out Las Vegas as a potential example of spending excessively.

“I was making the simple point that families use vacation dollars, not college tuition money, to have fun,” Obama said, according to the letter released by Reid’s office. “There is no place better to have fun than Vegas, one of our country’s great destinations.”

Do you think Nevada Democrats are feeling the pressure?  Rep. Shelley Berkley unloaded on Obama, too, while Reid wondered whether Obama would prefer Americans spend their money in other countries:

“Enough is enough!” Democratic Congresswoman Shelley Berkley said in a statement. “President Obama needs to stop picking on Las Vegas and he needs to let Americans decide for themselves how and where to spend their hard-earned vacation dollars.”

Nevada’s tourism has been hit hard during the past two years as consumers everywhere tighten leisure spending and companies spend less on meetings and conventions.

Reid, one of Obama’s closest allies, issued a statement headlined “Reid to Obama: ‘Lay off Las Vegas’” and was unusually blunt in his reaction.

“The President needs to lay off Las Vegas and stop making it the poster child for where people shouldn’t be spending their money,” Reid said. “I would much rather tourists and business travelers spend their money in Las Vegas than spend it overseas.”

So now Reid is questioning Obama’s patriotism?  Talk about running off the rails!  I know Reid needs to distance himself from Obama, but that’s just ridiculous hyperbole.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Obama is slow but I don’t know about the learner part

nyx on February 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Comment from Mayor of Orlando in 3 .. 2…

Ronnie on February 3, 2010 at 11:40 AM

You don’t go buying a boat

Has the boat industry weighed in on this yet, or are they afraid of being nationalized?

forest on February 3, 2010 at 11:40 AM

That’s the problem with National Socialists like Obowmao – they never can keep their noses out of everyone else’s business and Never learn.

Chip on February 3, 2010 at 11:40 AM

From a previous post:

Everyone Call one of the Top Hotels in Vegas and tell them:

“Due to President Obama’s recommendation; I won’t be spending my vacation dollars
in Los Vegas until the US economy improves and Obama Ok’s travel to your city.”

“What never gets to Vegas… won’t stay in Vegas.” ……. Like $$$$$’s

1. Bellagio 888-987-6667•
2. Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino 877-632-7000
3. MGM Grand Hotel and Casino 800-646-9143

How do you like him now SEIU members?

SayNo2-O on February 3, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Keep on dissing American institutions, 0… ;)

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2010 at 11:41 AM

As both Republicans and Democrats have said, spending money is our Patriotic Duty.

Both sides are wrong, though.

hawksruleva on February 3, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Another solid B+ performance!

percysunshine on February 3, 2010 at 11:42 AM

When times are tough, you — you tighten your belts.

Physician, heal thyself.

rrpjr on February 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM

The President needs to lay off Las Vegas and stop making it the poster child

What is it with these Dems and people with handicaps?
Obama
Rahm
Reid…?
WTFO

ted c on February 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM

So Obama threw Las Vegas under the bus — and Goodman and Reid responded by throwing Obama under the bus? Did I get that right? This is some white hot blue on blue action. You know, they could make a lot of money in Vegas selling tickets to that bout…

jwolf on February 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM

forest on February 3, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Forest? Do you live in Virginia? I have a cousin named Forest.

The boating industry is eager for the next wave of foreclosures, and the rising tide of deficits. But I think they misunderstand those situations ;-)

hawksruleva on February 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM

A very appropriate Goodman tidbit:

Goodman also suggested that whippings or canings should be brought back for children who get into trouble.

Also, this guy is a mob lawyer. Don’t really want to be on his bad side.

he represented defendants accused of being some of the leading organized crime figures in Las Vegas, such as Meyer Lansky, Nicky Scarfo, Herbert “Fat Herbie” Blitzstein, Phil Leonetti, former Stardust Casino boss Frank ‘Lefty’ Rosenthal, and Jamiel “Jimmy” Chagra a 1970s drug trafficker who was acquitted of ordering the murder of Federal Judge John Wood. His most notorious client was reputed Chicago mobster Anthony “Tony the Ant” Spilotro

strictnein on February 3, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Put that on your B+ report card and take it home to Mommy, er.. whoever the hell happens to be watching you this semester

ted c on February 3, 2010 at 11:44 AM

No bow for you mayor!

ted c on February 3, 2010 at 11:45 AM

KSM trial moving to Vegas in 3…2…1…

ted c on February 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I thought we needed to spend our way out of the recession? Wouldn’t going to Vegas be the epitome of spending out of a recession? I mean we’d be giving our money up for nothing tangible. It’s simply giving money to someone else so they can spend it as well.

Of course I don’t agree with this, but I’m trying to understand how this jives with what they’ve been saying and what I just said shows that it doesn’t.

MobileVideoEngineer on February 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Obama isn’t a slow learner! He is the most grotesque Marxist-Alinskyite-Cloward-Pivenesque figure ever to enter “public service” in the history of our republic, but he *is* a principled man. That’s what makes him so dangerous!

How can someone so stupid be so dangerous? I don’t buy it!

gryphon202 on February 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I can picture Iowahawk or the Onion doing their version of the speech like, You don’t buy a yacht when your tennis court needs fixing or you don’t get a second Swiss chalet when you’re saving up for college when the first one will do well enough for now. (ok, their versions would actually be funny but you know what I mean)

At least he didn’t mention using our spare money to buy cupcakes again.

DrAllecon on February 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Biden sinkering in another room.

Who’s looking down his nose to(at?) whom now?

Sir Napsalot on February 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM

snickering

Sir Napsalot on February 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Why is it not a porblem for BO to spend OUR money on HIS vacations? Or for Nancy Pelosi to spend OPUR MONEY on her booze and dinners on Air Force jaunts for friends and family?

This would be a nice “shout out” for the Prez, dont you think?

SayNo2-O on February 3, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Just a year in and this train wreck is reaching a crescendo. When will we witness heads literally exploding in both chambers of congress? I don’t think any of them can keep laughing at this joke for another three years.

joedoe on February 3, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Pass
The
Popcorn

This is getting good….

UltimateBob on February 3, 2010 at 11:47 AM

No teleprompter – no discipline – no script – no good.

jake-the-goose on February 3, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Now do you understand why he has to use a TelePrompter all the time? Imagine how many other cities and groups he would piss off if he said what he really thinks of America all the time!

rockmom on February 3, 2010 at 11:47 AM

When he shows up here in Vegas, I’ll be sure that me and my family are there to let him know how unwelcome he is. We love our city and it is on the hardest times anyone can remember here, and we certainly don’t need this imbecile going out of his way to make it worse. Leave us the hell alone!

Clownballoon on February 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Well … yeah. Maybe Obama would have been better advised to keep it generic by saying “in the casinos” rather than “on Vegas”, but otherwise, this is only remarkable for its banality. You’d hear the same kind of advice from your parents, and probably would have rolled your eyes at its obvious nature.

Yeah, the irony here is that Obama is right. When times are tough(hell, at all times really), people should be responsible with their money and not piss it away at casinos or betting on sports.

But he got himself into trouble for 1) singling out Vegas by name and 2) not recognizing his hypocrisy for gambling away our children and grandchildren’s futures by spending like there’s no tomorrow.

This is what happens when you live in the fantasy world he appears to reside in. When you’re running up trillion-plus dollar deficits, it’s best to just shut your hole about being responsible with money.

Doughboy on February 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I have to fault bambi completely here. I don’t care if it was conditional or not, but singling out boating and Vegas was the wrong thing to do, period. I live in a vacation area, and I rely on the boating industry to bring home a paycheck. So do many many other people here and believe me we’ve been hit hard enough already, thank you very much. That he was stating the obvious is not an excuse for what bambi said.

Researcher...MO on February 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Is the LV mayor a Dem? Get more of the popcorn goin…

Reid is clearly CYAing and distancing himself from Teh Won. Too little too late Harry…

davek70 on February 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Fixed.

mankai on February 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I find myself in the odd position of defending Obama on this score. His speech contained very clear conditionals (emphases mine):
When times are tough, you — you tighten your belts. You don’t go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage. You don’t blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you’re trying to save for college.

While on the surface, I too agree with your assessment of Obama’s words Ed. But…..I also take umbrage. For Obama to preach about belt tightening, and such, and throw in the massive budget, and spending he’s been doing with all of OUR money…he’s the last person on earth who should be preaching to anyone about how, and where they can spend THEIR money.

I do NOT blame the mayor one bit, for getting angry. I don’t blame Reid for spouting either. For some odd reason, I question Obama’s patriotism as well, and while I’m not sure Obama wants us going over seas….the way he’s going about running this country, is in itself destroying it. So let the anger out. I think it’s high time people on the left start grumbling outloud, instead of pandering to this doofus, and keeping quiet about how they REALLY feel about it.

capejasmine on February 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM

President Obama needs to stop picking on Las Vegas everyone and he needs to let Americans decide for themselves how and where to spend their hard-earned vacation dollars

Fixed it for Democratic Congresswoman Shelley Berkley

WashJeff on February 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I think these guys need to have James Clyburn on national TV as much as possible.

d1carter on February 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM

“When you’re shedding jobs by the millions and your economy is in the toilet, you don’t go out and buy a fancy new government health care plan.”

VelvetElvis on February 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM

mankai on February 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM

It just write’s itself.

Time to ask Barkley if this is only true for vacation dollars or all of our hard-earned money.

WashJeff on February 3, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Obama is a slow learner on
protocol
economics 101
constitutional law (oh wait..)
humility

Christian Conservative on February 3, 2010 at 11:50 AM

This is the problem with politicians who have always had the press cover for them. They get lazy.

I believe George Bush stumbled over his speech so much because he was always aware of how every word would be taken by the press and twisted. Obama has never had to worry about that.

One day soon though, the gaffes will become too insurmountable, and he will suffer the same fate, lest the press be caught having a John Edwards style affair with him.

These clips will make great campaign commercials for Harry Reids opponent.

MagicalPat on February 3, 2010 at 11:50 AM

New Vegas slogan

“Come to Vegas – it will tick Obama off”

gophergirl on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

KSM trial moving to Vegas in 3…2…1…

ted c on February 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM

UFC 110. KSM vs. Randy Couture. I’d love it!

VegasRick on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

I have to agree with Obama 100% here and defend his statement 200%. He said something that is quite sensible, though something that should be common sense already. If you’re in a bad spot, instead of saving for college, you don’t go to Vegas and blow your money. Good advice.

In fact, forget the stipulations- going to Vegas to blow your money is bad ANYTIME. The saying goes, the house always wins, and it does indeed. Gambling is, generally speaking, an idiotic way of spending your money no matter what the economy is like.

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

If Obama waits until the economy finishes tanking, he can then swoop in and radically change America. Bolshevik Plot, anyone?

kingsjester on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Blue on blue on blue. Me likey.

angryed on February 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Forest? Do you live in Virginia? I have a cousin named Forest.

hawksruleva on February 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Nope, I’m a PA/WV guy. Named after my great-gramps.

forest on February 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Now if B.O. had chosen to say Casinos instead of Las Vegas he would have just pissed off the American Indians instead. I’m sure in his calculated thoughts he chose not to offend the American Indians but rather failing Reids failing state.

multiuseless on February 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM

The same can be said for buying lottery tickets, can’t it? The states would lose tons of cash if Obowmao’s ‘advice’ were taken to the next level. I’ve had people who just bought $20 in lottery tickets grub a cigarette from me on my way out of a store. Not everyone can go to Vegas but lottery tickets are available to all, and the people buy them like crazy at their corner stores.

Liam on February 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Is the LV mayor a Dem? Get more of the popcorn goin…

davek70 on February 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM

From wiki:

Oscar Baylin Goodman (born July 26, 1939) is an American attorney and politician who has been the Mayor of Las Vegas, Nevada since 1999. Mayor Goodman is an Independent and a former member of the Democratic Party.

The last part is an understatement.

WashJeff on February 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Btw- to hell with these dumbass politicians who take a comment directed at their state, think it will make them look like bigshots to twist the comment and attack a strawman. Get a life, morons. Goodman, Reid, and Ensign have basically put themselves in a situation where they’re now on the side of blowing your money on Vegas trips and scrapping the college fund. Clueless.

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Yeah, Obama is technically right. When times are tough(hell, at all times really), you don’t p-ss away your money at casinos or betting on sports.

But he got himself into trouble by 1) singling out Vegas by name and 2) not recognizing his hypocrisy of gambling with our children and grandchildren’s future thanks to his record deficits.

Doughboy on February 3, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Obama shouldn’t be talking to America as if we are all teenagers. Stop freakin’ lecturing us.
Who is he to talk about SPENDING money, anyway?

bridgetown on February 3, 2010 at 11:54 AM

You’d hear the same kind of advice from your parents,

Paternalism is a large part of the problem!

His constitutional job is to run the executive branch, foreign relations, and the military – not to tell Americans how to live.

He’s never run a business and he’s telling businessmen what they should and shouldn’t be doing. So another problem is hubris.

He is in now position to tell anyone how to do his job.

Akzed on February 3, 2010 at 11:54 AM

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Maybe you should tell this to all the Democrat Governors who keep shoving gambling down our throats as a way to raise revenues and keep their bloated state governments from shrinking.

rockmom on February 3, 2010 at 11:54 AM

New Vegas slogan

“Come to Vegas – it will tick Obama off”

gophergirl on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Pretty clever. You should be working on Madison Ave!

jwolf on February 3, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Unfortunately Mr. Mayor, one of the few groups who are still listening to this man is the business community who are scared to death of him and your Senator Mr. Reid. See, they are afraid if the have a convention in your city, despite its near ideal suitability to conduct such events, the President and Democrat delegation will demonize them with the help of their allies in the Corrupt Media Establishment. Then legislation will be passed and actions taken to destroy them. Sorry Mr. Mayor, you people backed him and now you have to live with the results.

TheBigOldDog on February 3, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Considering Obama’s proclivity for denouncing foolish spending on gambling and entertainment during these difficult times, one would think he would drop the idea of spending billions on a high speed rail taking people from the land of Mickey Mouse to the land of Bugsy Seigel.

Go figure……

joedoe on February 3, 2010 at 11:55 AM

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

We still have the freedom to make stupid choices last I checked.

bridgetown on February 3, 2010 at 11:55 AM

He added: “You don’t go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage. You don’t blow a bunch of cash in Vegas go on a Hawaiian vacation when you’re trying to save for college your country is drowning in debt.”

fixed that for you, Mr. President.

vermillionsky on February 3, 2010 at 11:55 AM

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Well I think camping, fishing and hunting is a bad way to blow your money. I don’t think Obama should come out and say that.

If people choose to spend their money in Vegas – it’s their choice. You know we still have choices here in America contrary to Obama’s wishes.

gophergirl on February 3, 2010 at 11:55 AM

If Oscar Goodman is just figuring out that Barry is a slow learner, than Oscar is also a slow learner.

Sarah Palin is going to have a blast with the Tea Party Express when they visit Dingy Harry’s hometown next month.

Knucklehead on February 3, 2010 at 11:55 AM

As Beck pointed out this am,Obama needs to take his own advice. Telling US not to spend ourselves into debt during tough times, all while spending our children’s future incomes for “health care” and “green jobs” today.

ihasurnominashun on February 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM

UFC 110. KSM vs. Randy Couture. I’d love it!

VegasRick on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Now THAT’d be a great way for KSM to hear from the American people!

Stimulate the economy, jobs, interest, and the outcome would be delicious….

ted c on February 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM

You don’t blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you’re trying to save for college.

Why did he have to say Vegas when he could have said “You don’t blow a bunch of cash on lotteries when you’re trying to save for college”

How often do you see people buying stacks of lottery tickets who look like they probably don’t know where their next meal is coming from?

behiker on February 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Dear Liar will make up for it by having His next “Date Night” in Las Vegas — courtesy of the US taxpayers — especially the ones who are under one year old.

You don’t expand government when you are already $12 trillion in debt. Incompetent and malevolent.

rbj on February 3, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Everyone keeps telling me Obama is such a smart guy and a great politician. I have yet to see the evidence, but I’ll keep looking.

Mord on February 3, 2010 at 11:57 AM

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

We still have the freedom to make stupid choices last I checked.

bridgetown on February 3, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Please reference those who voted for Obama as an example.

kingsjester on February 3, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Everyone missed the money quote, which was the first part of his statement:

Obama: “Responsible families don’t do their budgets the way the gov’t does.”

Connie on February 3, 2010 at 11:57 AM

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

So what if blowing money in Vegas is idiotic to you. It’s not your money. Bambi may have said something that anyone with the sightest bit of grey matter should know, but that does not excuse him from singling out any industry or location. If people want to spend hundreds of dollars in gasoline, service, repairs, etc. after spending many thousands and sometimes millions of dollars on boating, I imagine that’s pretty idiotic too, but a lot of people make their living that way, you seem to miss this point.

Researcher...MO on February 3, 2010 at 11:58 AM

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

D@mn near as risky as the stock market.

joedoe on February 3, 2010 at 11:58 AM

The Vegas thing is similar to his preoccupation with slyly scratching his face with his middle finger whenever he’s speaking to or of the opposition. It’s bizarre, and I thoroughly enjoy how the mayor responded. Right on, Oscar!

changer1701 on February 3, 2010 at 11:58 AM

The Bottom Line that Obama needs to grasp is:

It’s not his decision where anyone spends their money. If someone shoose to blow their life savings in Vegas, then so be it. It was their decision no matter how bad it was.

jeffn21 on February 3, 2010 at 11:58 AM

You know what Reid needs? Someone to come to Searchlight and rile up the troops. Someone like,… the’Cuda.

a capella on February 3, 2010 at 11:58 AM

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

See, that’s the problem with Libs. They have no idea how business actually works in this country.

Vegas was BUILT to cater to the business world. It’s built for CONVENTIONS. You know, those often huge events where products and services are displayed. Contacts are made. Order are taken. Products are launched. It’s not simply about gambling. It is about business. Events like COMDEX made Vegas and Vegas made COMDEX. To think it’s just some place to drink, gamble and whore around is plain ignorant.

TheBigOldDog on February 3, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Obama is a slow learner and the problem/reason is very simple. Obamaa are you listening?
He uttterly fails when he tries to be like everyday people. Because he is not. No amount of sympathy or false emapthy is going to change that. He needs to just stay on his self imposed pedestal and be who he is. Trying to be what he is not is a bigger loser for him than his elite narcissitic self.

ORconservative on February 3, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Obama’s not my mommy.

amerpundit on February 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I’m saving my money for increased energy costs, increased gasoline prices, increased federal, state, and local taxes and fees, road and bridge tolls, light rail taxes, pop and candy taxes, increased tuition costs, cost of living increases, increased property taxes, light bulb taxes, recycling taxes, vehicle taxes, plastic grocery bag taxes, latte taxes…..

I don’t have anything left over for Las Vegas.

SouthernRoots on February 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM

If you take out the people/place/strawman that Obama attacks in every speech he gives, all you would have is “blah, blah, blah”. He has nothing of substance unless he has someone to put down to make himself look good. It’s what Community Organizers do…

TN Mom on February 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM

jake-the-goose on February 3, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Spot On!

PappaMac on February 3, 2010 at 12:02 PM

reid.. you are dead in the water and obama is draggin you down. Have a nice swim.

upinak on February 3, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I just figured out why he keeps pounding on Vegas. If people lose money in Vegas, that’s more money that he won’t get in taxes. Yeah, he’ll get it from the casino, but then the government will have to take less taxes from the people that lose money and maybe even subsidize some people. So that means he is simply looking out for himself and the government. He’d rather you give that money to the government instead of private business.

MobileVideoEngineer on February 3, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I don’t know how this would be implemented, exactly, but there should be a concerted effort on the part of the Republican (and Tea Party, for that matter) leadership to call on people of like-minded principles to vacation in Vegas. Advertise it, hold conventions there, have people who do visit express their desire to support Vegas, in spite of Obama’s idiocy, etc.

Someone else said that the Republican party should hold its 2012 convention there. That’s a brilliant idea. Make it known to the residents and business owners that conservatives of all stripes will spend their vacation and business time and dollars there.

nukemhill on February 3, 2010 at 12:03 PM

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Better for the government to take that money , then redistribute it, eh? But, then it’s called a stimulus program, alloted to non existing zip codes..

a capella on February 3, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I’m running out of snarky comments to keep up with the Obama stupidity tsunami.

bloviator on February 3, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Obama said this? Obama?

Heh.

capitalist piglet on February 3, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Seems kind of harmless. But the mayor called him a “bone making slow learner”. Isn’t that PC speak for “Mafia Retard”?

BL@KBIRD on February 3, 2010 at 12:03 PM

When times are tough, you — you tighten your belts. You don’t go buying a boat univseral healthcare when you can barely pay your mortgage the interest on the national debt. You don’t blow a bunch of cash on trips to Vegas Copenhagen when you’re trying to save for college fighting two wars.

Edited by me.

BobMbx on February 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Everyone missed the money quote, which was the first part of his statement:

Obama: “Responsible families don’t do their budgets the way the gov’t does.”

Connie on February 3, 2010 at 11:57 AM

And, this was right after a 50ton crawler crane dropped off his proposed budget on Capitol Hill.

joedoe on February 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I think Obama deserves every bit of criticism he gets and more so. He is deliberately trying to destroy the economy. No more benefits of the doubt on his intentions are deserving.

Sporty1946 on February 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM

“Screw Vegas, ever vacationed in Kenya? You should check it out,” -Mbama.

Akzed on February 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Some of you guys are blind partisans who would attack Obama for saying the sky is blue.

It’s absurd. Americans have a right to stupidly gamble their money away. Yeah. And Obama has a right to have a set of beliefs on what is a stupid idea when you’re in a tough financial position.

Singling out industries? Going to Vegas is a figure of speech. I’m pretty sure he meant gambling in general. And, who cares? If it’s good advice, single out whatever industry you want.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with what he said. Only pandering politicians from Nevada and people who will hate Obama no matter what he does (read: unreasonable people) will attack what is simply good advice.

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM

that Obama has proven himself to be “a real slow learner”

The art of the obvious is indignant.

Schadenfreude on February 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM

The IRS —The New Vegas. “You put your money in, and you’re guaranteed a hatful of jack ‘n squat”

ted c on February 3, 2010 at 12:05 PM

He added: “You don’t go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage. You don’t blow a bunch of cash in Vegas on military flights to jettison every last member of your family hither and yon when you’re trying to save for college your country is drowning in debt.”

wait, maybe this is what he really meant to say.

vermillionsky on February 3, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Highly hypocritical comments…coming from Mr. Profligate himself. Hey Mr. President, your arrogance is showing again!
How about we have a beer summit about the Copenhagen junket!

scalleywag on February 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM

And they call Sarah Palin dumb?

Is Sarah Palin smart enough to be President?
Hey, she is smart enough for that job. We’ve got the genius in there now. How’s that working out for ya?

The Rock on February 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM

“So now Reid is questioning Obama’s patriotism? Talk about running off the rails! I know Reid needs to distance himself from Obama, but that’s just ridiculous hyperbole.”

I doubt Reid is so ballsy as to be taking a swipe at Obama’s upcoming trip to Indonesia for vacation. How sweet it would be though.

Bonhomme on February 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Eductae yourself libs. Or better yet, get a job in the real world. This was written in the NYT nearly 1 year ago. I didn;t even know it was written until just this minute when I googles after my previous post. It’s common sens to any business person:

Las Vegas Sags as Conventions Cancel

Published: February 14, 2009

A rash of conference cancellations, and a presidential admonishment peppered with a Las Vegas reference last week, has unnerved politicians and resort executives who are fearful that the all-important convention industry could be on the verge of collapse.

“It’s certainly a moment we should all pay great attention to,” said Jan L. Jones, senior vice president for Harrah’s Entertainment, which had a 30 percent decline in convention business in January compared with a year ago at its seven resorts on the Strip. “Las Vegas has long tried to balance the image of party town, serious town. This is an opportunity for us to remind business why they do business here, and it’s because it’s the best value.”

In the last month, 30,000 hotel room nights booked for conferences have been canceled at an estimated loss of $20 million to the city, according to the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority…

Anxiety over the matter escalated last week after President Obama told an audience in Elkhart, Ind., that companies “can’t go take a trip to Las Vegas or go down to the Super Bowl on the taxpayer’s dime.” The remark was taken by many here as an attack.

“The mayor heard the words ‘Las Vegas’ — he didn’t hear any other city — and people are telling me that they’re not coming to Las Vegas because the president doesn’t want them to,” said Mayor Oscar B. Goodman, who at first demanded a White House apology but later in the week said he just wanted a clarification.

“There’s an impression out there,” Mr. Goodman said, “that somehow if you come to Las Vegas, it’s going to reflect on your business culture, and that’s a bunch of hooey.”

TheBigOldDog on February 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM

TheBigOldDog on February 3, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I think we can safely assume, as his statement was pretty clear, that he was speaking of gambling. I’m certain he wasn’t speaking about conferences, expositions, etc. Of course those aren’t bad ideas.

TheBlueSite on February 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM

the mayor called him a “bone making slow learner”. Isn’t that PC speak for “Mafia Retard”? BL@KBIRD on February 3, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I noticed that, I was awaiting a “bada bing,” or “fuggedabouwdit” next.

Akzed on February 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM