Illinois showdown

posted at 11:28 am on February 2, 2010 by Cassy Fiano

The shockwaves from the Massachusetts have just barely settled, and we already have another showdown in a state that’s especially close to the White House: Illinois.

Tuesday’s crowded ballot will test Gov. Pat Quinn’s popularity within his own party a year after he took over the reins from disgraced Gov. Rod Blagojevich, as well as pare down the field for the surprisingly up-for-grabs U.S. Senate seat formerly held by President Barack Obama.

Mix in the shadow of corruption that hangs over the state and an unemployment rate above the national average and even the political professionals aren’t sure what to expect.

“I have no freaking idea what’s going to happen Tuesday,” said Kitty Kurth, a Chicago-based Democratic consultant. “It’s going to be an election that’s going to have people scratching their heads for a week.”

The White House is paying close attention today. It’s a primary close to Obama’s heart, as it’s his former Senate seat that’s up for grabs. Roland Burris wisely decided not to seek reelection, and if a Republican wins that seat, Obama will be bound to take it even harder than Scott Brown’s win.

State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias is the frontrunner for the Democratic Party, while Representative Matt Kirk is expected to win the Republican nomination. Some conservatives think Kirk is too liberal a Republican, but he seems to be similar to Scott Brown: a fiscal conservative and a social moderate. In these times, that should be good enough for us right now, and regardless, Kirk will likely be the Republican facing Giannoulias anyways. He’s polling well against Giannoulias. There haven’t been many polls yet matching the two of them, but one October poll showed Kirk leading 42-35.

In the race for the governer’s mansion, things are a big more unclear. Rasmussen showed State Comptroller Dan Hynes leading Gov. Pat Quinn. The race is likely to be a toss-up for the Democrats, but what about for Republicans? The tea party candidate is clearly Adam Andrzejewski. A PPP poll showed him trailing State Sen. Kirk Dillard by 8 points. He’s been touting an internal poll showing him trailing by only 2 points on Sunday, though. He also scored the endorsement of Lech Walesa, former president of Poland, a big win in Chicago. Dillard is the most moderate of all the Republicans running, and ads are showing clips of him praising Obama. I’d like to believe that Andrzejewski will pull it out, but it still seems unlikely.

Today’s results won’t have the weight that the Massachusetts election did — it is only a primary, after all, but it will serve as a harbinger of what is to come in Illinois.

Cross-posted from Cassy’s blog. Stop by for more original commentary or follow her on Twitter!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m surprised that Dick Durbin hasn’t recruited another idiot to run for office.

bluegrass on February 2, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Er, Kirk did vote in favor of Cap and Tax, mind you. Not very fiscally conservative there…

I think I shall vote for Adam, as I am no fan of Dillard’s either.

LTC John on February 2, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Vote for Adam!

aic4ever on February 2, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Andrzejewski is pronounced an-jee-EF-skee. Get used to it.

Emperor Norton on February 2, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Well I am proud to say I and my wife just voted, and if there is one assclown who didn’t get our vote, it is RINO Mark Kirk, Mr. “Let’s Vote With The Democrats On Cap And Trade” who wants to be the next Senator from Illinois. Not on my watch, Pal!

Me personally, I voted for Patrick Hughes. Mark Levin is endorsing him big time and anyone who Levin endorses has my vote!

For now, anyone from Illinois reading this, the news is reporting that voter turnout is slow so far.

GET OUT THERE AND VOTE!

This is our one chance before November to send a very clear message to B.O. that We The People are not going to take it anymore!

Come on, Illinois! GET OUT THERE AND VOTE!!!!

pilamaye on February 2, 2010 at 11:51 AM

As reported on the radio in the Chicago area in the morning, turnout has been light due to snow. The snow has already stopped and temps are going up to 33. So, more people will show up in the afternoon and evening. Turnout is estimated to reach a whooping 33%.

I wish we could combine votes for Proft and Adam. My guess is that those two are splitting the tea party vote.

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Here’s what’s going to happen in Illinois Kitty. Every Dem is going down, we’ve had enough of the corruption.

State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias is the frontrunner for the Democratic Party

He may have been the frontrunner until it was revealed that the family took $70 million out of the family bank and is now being threatened with being shut down.

Alexi Giannoulias should be in jail, not running for an elected office.

Knucklehead on February 2, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Oh, and Kirk Dillard is a dillweed who endorsed B.O. for President.

’nuff said, don’t waste your vote on that fool!

pilamaye on February 2, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I was listening to a talkshow this weekend where the host asked for Tea Party people to call in and let him know whether they would vote for Kirk if he was on the ballot in the General Election in Nov. I was glad to hear that the handfui of callers that I heard all stated (A) they were not voting for Kirk in the primary and (B) would vote for him in the General if he wins today. That is that rational thing to do.

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Presuming Kirk wins the primary, I will gladly vote for him in November. But in the primary, no way will I vote for someone who voted for Cap & Trade. I voted for a more conservative, but probably hopeless, candidate.

jwolf on February 2, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Obama goes and campaigns for Quinn.

C’mon Illinois. Vote for Quinn. You know you don’t need to eat, or have a roof over your head. Or even drive a car. Raising your taxes ten fold is a good thing. You can’t go around being selfish, and racist. Government will do that for you!

capejasmine on February 2, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Dem der Kanadiens comin down fer some medical perks, eh?

Hening on February 2, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Andrzejewski is pronounced an-jee-EF-skee. Get used to it.

Emperor Norton on February 2, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Another tongue-twister, like Blagoyavich. Hopefully less corrupt!

Steve Z on February 2, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Conservative voters on the down-ticket should take a good look at Jason Plummer the young, conservative candidate for Lt. Gov. He’s a Heritage Foundation and Navy veteran who is a rising star in GOP circles. He comes from a well funded family and has a firm grasp of what is necessary to get Illinois moving back to fiscal sanity.

flyoverland on February 2, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Oh, and Kirk Dillard is a dillweed who endorsed B.O. for President.

’nuff said, don’t waste your vote on that fool!

pilamaye on February 2, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Didn’t know that, although I’m not terribly surprised. I hope he’s not our candidate in November.

jwolf on February 2, 2010 at 11:57 AM

capejasmine on February 2, 2010 at 11:55 AM

The other Democrat running for Gov, Hynes, wants to alter the IL constitution so marginal tax rates can be applied to income. Currently, marginal tax rates are unconstitutional in IL (ie, IL can only have a flat tax). In terms of Demsm Quinn is better on taxes. Of course I want neither.

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I voted for Hughes, and Angee-efski!

Queen0fCups on February 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM

At the rate we are going, are we going to take the Senate back BEFORE the election this fall?

JamesLee on February 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Regardless of who wins the primary, remember that 2010 starts the redistricting season. A Republican governor can help to moderate the tendency of a heavily Democrat legislature to gerrymander in their party’s favor.

MarkTheGreat on February 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM

This has bugged me long before the MA race. It was and always will be Illinois’ Senate Seat. It never belonged to Obama. He never owned it. It wasn’t his to pass down to one of his spoiled brats. And, beyond all that, Burris is the predecessor of Obama, not whomever wins the election in November.

I’m not a big Kirk fan but as long as he brings an R with him and enough other social liberals join the herd to render the rats useless, that’s okay with me.

highhopes on February 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Alexi Giannoulias should be in jail, not running for an elected office.

Knucklehead on February 2, 2010 at 11:52 AM

So should Daley, and Obama, and Rezko, and Bill Ayers, but this is Chicago. The ghost of Al Capone still rules.

Steve Z on February 2, 2010 at 11:59 AM

jwolf on February 2, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Dillard is at the bottom of my list also. It would surely be same-o same-o in IL if he was Gov.

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Gee, folks, this discussion would have been better to have last week!

I had a hard time finding any discussion of candidates.

Queen0fCups on February 2, 2010 at 11:59 AM

With a $13bn deficit this year we can’t afford another Democrat in state office.

The state is behind on paying everyone. My rural county is owed +$200,000. My school district +$100,000. UofI and other schools aren’t getting state payments and they are furloughing employees. Obama, Quinn and Madigan have taken our $change$ and left us with nothing to believe in.

Adam for Illinois!

Hendo on February 2, 2010 at 11:59 AM

JamesLee on February 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Don’t get ahead of yourself, this is only the primary.

MarkTheGreat on February 2, 2010 at 12:02 PM

That is that rational thing to do.

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I would have preferred to hear the reverse of that question. If these social liberals who favor Kirk had to vote for a more conservative candidate in November, would they or would they pout and whine and vote for the Democrat like the McCain wing of the party is apt to do when they don’t get their way.

highhopes on February 2, 2010 at 12:02 PM

My school district +$100,000.

Hendo on February 2, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Consider yourself lucky. The Lincoln-Way High school district (Frankfort, New Lenox, Mokena, & Manhattan) has not received $5,000,000 from the state.

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 12:04 PM

MarkTheGreat on February 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM

My state rep was getting signatures in all of his counties to put a referendum on the ballot to make redistricting non-partisan. Needs 400,000 signatures so go sign it.

Hendo on February 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM

The best part of the election today………..

Hopefully Todd Stroger is going down

The man who single handedly raised sales tax to 10.2% and drove thousands over county and state lines to shop in order to avoid that crazy tax.

Knucklehead on February 2, 2010 at 12:06 PM

When is the election in Illinois?

hawksruleva on February 2, 2010 at 12:06 PM

highhopes on February 2, 2010 at 12:02 PM

A good question. I am in the camp that social conservative should never try to impose their morals at the national level. Social conservatives suold fight for the freedom to have a chance to impose their morals at the state level (i.e., the federal government should not bar such laws as Row v. Wade does).

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 12:07 PM

JamesLee on February 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Huh? This is just a primary, dude. The election for the seat is in November as usual.

KeepOhioRed on February 2, 2010 at 12:08 PM

When is the election in Illinois?

hawksruleva on February 2, 2010 at 12:06 PM

The primary is now. The general is like everyone else, November. We just have a super early primary (really stupid timing).

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 12:09 PM

I got my vote in for Andy and Kirk. Turnout is low and I really think Andy can pull it out.

In the words of Don Wade on WLS this morning, “Don’t complain if you don’t vote! Get out and vote!”

JAW on February 2, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Yes, I knew that. Just a lame attempt at a little humor.

JamesLee on February 2, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Kirk is NOTHING like Brown. Kirk is a fence-sitting, finger in the air rino. Kirk is not “good enough”.
It’s not like there isn’t any other candidate to pick from. There are other candidates that should get the conservative vote such as Pat Hughes.
Pat Hughes has the endorsement from the IRA, the leading Illinois PRO-Life organizations, the Tea Party organizations in Illinois, Mark Kevin, Laura Ingraham, Dennis Miller and Mike Ditka.
Mark Kirk is endorsed by the GOP leaders and John McCain….’nuff said.
If Kirk wins this primary I will not vote for him. I voted for the “good enough” candidate once already with McCain…I will never do that again.

tencole on February 2, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Kirk is no friend of the second amendment, or of freedom for that matter.

GaryC on February 2, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Don’t forget Matt Burden, Blackfive, who is running for state representative.

Just A Grunt on February 2, 2010 at 12:13 PM

JamesLee on February 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Uhhh, we can’t take the Senate without elections, but Dick Morris told Hannity on Fox he thinks Republicans could take the Senate by 2 seats. I’m not sure whether he means by 51-49 (2 seats difference) or 52-48 (2 seats above the majority), but either would require a win in Illinois.

Morris might be too optimistic. According to current polling, Republicans will probably win in NV, AR, CO, ND, PA, and DE, and if they can hold open seats in MO, NH, OH, and FL, they would have 47 seats. From there on, things get tough, and strong Republican challengers are needed. There might be possibilities in Illinois, as well as IN (against Bayh), WI (Feingold), and NY (Gillibrand), but in each case, the only Republican that polls ahead of them (Pence, Tommy Thompson, and Pataki, respectively) has not yet declared his candidacy.

It’s important that these challengers, fresh from the momentum of Scott Brown’s victory in MA, sense the political wind at their backs, and organize their campaigns early enough to win these races.

Steve Z on February 2, 2010 at 12:15 PM

I don’t think there’s ANY school district in the state that has received any money. Along with hospitals and clinics.
We’re broke folks.

tencole on February 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM

We’re broke folks.

tencole on February 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I wonder what bankruptcy would look like in IL. The state’s A/P probably gets wiped out, but what happens to the pensions? The pensions are the biggest problem in IL. Any Gov that is worth his salt, will go to the mat to change the retirement system for all public employees from defined benefits to defined contributions. Until that change is made, IL is screwed.

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Come on, Illinois! GET OUT THERE AND VOTE!!!!

pilamaye on February 2, 2010 at 11:51 AM

..and our chance to send a message to the powers that be in the IL Republican party to wake the heck up and stop running crappy and/or rehashed candidates.
Aaron Schock was the only person in IL I happily voted for in a long time. I used to skip that box when LaHood was in office.
….off to vote

tehd on February 2, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Mark Kirk is my US Congressman and I’ve generally been pretty happy with his voting record (except for his Cap & Tax vote, which he has since admitted was the wrong thing to do). He has voted the conservative line with respect to cutting income and death taxes and cutting spending and foreign policy issues. He is still in the Navy Reserve and recently did a short stint in Afghanistan. He is a strong supporter of veterans and has done a lot of good things for our retired vets.

Illinois is not a Red State and I think that Kirk represents his district very well, as his constituents are fiscally conservative, strong for defense and socially moderate. I’m more interested in gaining the senate seat and I think that Mark Kirk is our best chance of flipping the seat to the GOP in 2010.

Old Fritz on February 2, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Cassy, I enjoy your commentary, but please proofread your copy more thoroughly. I’ve read several of your submissions, and they are rife with grammatical and typographical errors. Thanks.

College Prof on February 2, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I heard on Fox this morning that seiu was getting the d’s to the polls by bus. They want the d’s to win one for this bho!
L

letget on February 2, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Old Fritz on February 2, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I don’t see Kirk as the type of Senator to buck the GOP senatorial leadership. So if the leadership is conservative, I do not see him as “Maine Sister” type. If Kirk wins today, do NOT sit out the general election. Vote for Kirk in Nov and then work to replace him in a primary in 2016.

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I voted for Republican Bill Brady for Governor. He is the only candidate on the ballot who is not from Chicago. We have enough Chicago liberals in office already.

litebrite on February 2, 2010 at 12:27 PM

L

letget on February 2, 2010 at 12:24 PM

The polling place made me dip my finger in purple ink since I took a GOP ballot. I guessed is was an SEIU trace\identification. ;-)

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 12:27 PM

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 12:04 PM

As much as I don’t like Quinn…gotta give him kudos in trying to change the teacher’s union pension stuff….very, very difficult and needless to say unsuccessful.

tencole on February 2, 2010 at 12:28 PM

tencole on February 2, 2010 at 12:28 PM

A vaguely remember this. Did he try to make a new hires go into a defined contribution plan?

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 12:32 PM

As much as I don’t like Quinn….gotta give him kudos in trying to change the teacher’s union pension stuff…very, very difficult and needless to say unsuccessful.

tencole on February 2, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I voted earlier. PROFT!! and HUGHES!!!

exceller on February 2, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I live here and I’m still undecided about what ballot to pull. Can’t stand Gionoullis (spelling is bad but I don’t care), so I’m almost tempted to vote for him, because I think his bank dealings make an attractive target, so Kirk can win in November. Do I take GOP (where I’ll probably go for Dillard — can’t stand any of them, to be honest, but a friend really likes AA and saw him with LW last week. She said it was fabulous) just to vote AGAINST Jim Ryan, which would be for his disgraceful role in railroading men onto death row when he was AG. Don’t want Ethan Hastert (Denny’s son) to get the 14th District, where I live, so maybe I should go GOP to vote in that race.

I am, by the way, fairly liberal, but the Dems have so turned me off … And I think Mark Kirk can win. He’s moderate enough to pick up lots of people like me.

I cannot recall when I was so undecided …

lizzieillinois on February 2, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Thank you Cassy for putting up this thread for all of us poor suckers stuck living here in Illinois

Knucklehead on February 2, 2010 at 12:35 PM

What makes you think the White House will be paying close attention.

They’re marching for marxism regardless of what the people say.

notagool on February 2, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Old Fritz on February 2, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Kirk may win the primary…but he isn’t the best choice.
Voting for him because you think he has the “best chance to take the seat” is just settling.

tencole on February 2, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Doesn’t any IL election outcome depend on ACORN / DEM get-out-the-vote efforts?

Laura in Maryland on February 2, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I cannot recall when I was so undecided …

lizzieillinois on February 2, 2010 at 12:35 PM

if by “fairly liberal” you mean you like liberty, please do not vote for Dillard. Dillard seems to be the consemate politician. Do not make any group angry. Go along to get along. No principles that are worth fighting for. Adam or Proft is better for people that like freedom.

But if you mean by “fairly liberal” that you do not mind spending other people’s money on things you agree with, then I have no advice on who to vote for.

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 12:41 PM

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 12:32 PM

This was one of the first things he tried to do and unfortunately also one of the last…..

….”Teachers will have to increase their current retirement contribution by two percentage points (a 21% increase).

….Future employees would receive lesser benefits, including a requirement that a full pension (70% of average salary over last eight years) can be collected no sooner than age 67, regardless of years of service.

I’m afraid it went over like a lead balloon with the teacher’s union

tencole on February 2, 2010 at 12:44 PM

You guys are dreamin’…

“I don’t care who does the voting as long as I get to do the nominating.”

“The policeman isn’t there to create disorder; the policeman is there to preserve disorder.”

“We shall reach greater and greater platitudes of achievment. ”
– Mayor Richard J. Daley

mojo on February 2, 2010 at 12:47 PM

As a middle-aged white guy, I have to say I’m tired of all of the same candidates, all middle-ages white guys like myself. I vote for Andrzejewski for R Governor candidates and Hughes for R US Senate candidate.

Kirk’s cap-and-trade vote made my voting for him impossible.

Dillard is a retread. Ryan should hand his head in shame for trying to kill two innocent men. McKenna is a nobody.

Sheerq on February 2, 2010 at 12:50 PM

The Thrill is Gone…

paragon27x on February 2, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Andy and Kirk got my votes. I know Kirk is squishy, but I don’t believe Hughes can win a general election here.

In my district, I’m hoping Maria Rodriguez is tough enough to take down Melissa Bean. Cautiously optimistic.

ElectricPhase on February 2, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Kirk’s cap-and-trade vote made my voting for him impossible.

Sheerq on February 2, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I feel your pain. ;-(

tencole on February 2, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Yes, I knew that. Just a lame attempt at a little humor.

JamesLee on February 2, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I got it. I laughed a little. Some folks just need bells, whistles, tags, signs, billboards to understand some of the more nuanced humor often found on these threads.

/s/ former Lnoiboi

davidk on February 2, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I’m afraid it went over like a lead balloon with the teacher’s union

tencole on February 2, 2010 at 12:44 PM

The teacher’s union will fight this type of reform hard. A governor must take the fight to the people until the teacher’s are viewed as the “bad guys.” Not easy by any stretch, but it must be done or selling a house in this state is going to very difficult since there won’t be enough people that want to be in IL (heck, even Obama does not come here).

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I just returned from voting and if I understood the election official marking my paperwork I was the 70th vote.

Had one guy ahead of me arguing with the election official about not being able to vote split ticket.

One guy behind me, “I am definitely voting Democrat.”

I voted for Adam and Hughes (if Kirk wins this round I hope the message is received that the cap and trade vote was unacceptable)

journeyintothewhirlwind on February 2, 2010 at 1:02 PM

ElectricPhase on February 2, 2010 at 12:55 PM

You’re kidding, right???
Winning the primary is the hard part.
Look who the possible democrat primary winner could be….Quinn has no love and Giannoulias is a crook, plain and simple.
The general election will be a piece of cake.

tencole on February 2, 2010 at 1:04 PM

All the local media is pushing the “low turnout” meme, but that’s bull. There were record # of early votes, and the polling place I went to was crowded. Get out there and vote! Let’s make the Dem’s know this is the land of Lincoln not Obama.

chicagojedi on February 2, 2010 at 1:06 PM

As a social conservative, I would vote for a social liberal but fiscal conservative…for the sole reason the smaller we make government…the more freedom we the people have.

Conservative Voice on February 2, 2010 at 1:06 PM

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Under normal circumstances, I’d agree with you on the timing. But right now, conservatives are on a roll, fresh off major wins in MassachesettEs, New Jersey, and VA. They need to keep up the momentum and keep the heat on the Dems.

In politics, a few months is a lifetime because voters tend to have very short memories. I fear that if, by some miracle, the economy begins to show signs of recovering, then the momentum will swing back towards the Dems as they try and claim credit for it.

UltimateBob on February 2, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I might also opine that people should vote for whoever they believe to be the better candidate, not for who they think can win the general election.

We have to put the best people in a position to win – the rest is up to them as the candidates.

Sheerq on February 2, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Giannoulias is a crook, plain and simple.
The general election will be a piece of cake.

tencole on February 2, 2010 at 1:04 PM

When did that ever stop anyone getting elected in our state? I think we have a good chance in November, but no way will it be a cakewalk. It’s going to be down and dirty — count on it.

jwolf on February 2, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Kirk’s cap-and-trade vote made my voting for him impossible.

Sheerq on February 2, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I feel your pain. ;-(

tencole on February 2, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Me too. My congressman, Mike Castle (RINO-Delaware) also voted for C&T. And now he wants to run for Senate (Joe Biden’s old seat). Sad part is that I’ll probably hold my nose and vote for him, unless a stronger conservative candidate suddenly pops up.

Such is life in a blue state.

UltimateBob on February 2, 2010 at 1:19 PM

You’re probably right about Kirk being the nominee, but I’m real uneasy about him seeing his support for cap and tax legislation last year. He stated he won’t support it as a senator, but this is Illinois… it’s just understood here that things candidates say on the campaign trail can’t possibly be expected of them in office. Nothing personal, just business, you understand.

ReformedAndDangerous on February 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Sheerq on February 2, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Careful, that’s the kind of thinking that gave us a “president” Barack Hussein 0bama.

UltimateBob on February 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM

UltimateBob on February 2, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I would also rather the general elections were around the corner instead of nine months away, but that is fantasy land stuff. Having our primary way away from when other states are having their primaries means less “buzz” and less people participating.

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM

UltimateBob on February 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM

All I meant is that it has been the same cast of clowns on the R side for 20 years. They are just as corrupt as the Ds.

Sheerq on February 2, 2010 at 1:23 PM

ElectricPhase on February 2, 2010 at 12:55 PM

You’re kidding, right???
Winning the primary is the hard part.
The general election will be a piece of cake.

tencole on February 2, 2010 at 1:04 PM

This cycle could probably elect a conservative. If the indys, repubs, and disaffected Dems rallied around the Repub nominee in Nov, I think it could happen. However, Kirk is probably as good as we get for right now. And he is better than ANY Dem.
One problem we have are those idiots that won’t vote for the lesser of two evils because of principle.

tencole- please give me your address, so I can send you my version of a thank you card when Giannoulias wins the election because of the”principled” ones.

chicagotrauma on February 2, 2010 at 1:33 PM

UltimateBob on February 2, 2010 at 1:15 PM

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Illinois moved their primaries WAY up to help keep incumbants in office. Much less time to get in good with the public for the Newbies. Just shows you how the R’s and the D’s in this state are scumbags.

chicagotrauma on February 2, 2010 at 1:35 PM

I made my mind up a long time ago not to vote for Kirk due to his Cap and Trade vote. Illinois is in a bad spot. We have a powerful liberal city at the helm simply due to numbers. Even when we have a repub, or supposedly conservative candidate, the choices are not so good. Kirk is the example. I dont know if Mr Kirk would vote again for cap and trade as a member of the other chamber, but that should be illegal anyways. Why should anybody be allowed to vote for the same legislation twice? Just doesnt seem right, but if the senate votes after the Nov election and he should win that seat, thats precisely what would happen. Im heading to the polls shortly and he wont get my vote. Im voting for a guy named Adam, for both the senate and the house seat in my district. The chance of Illinois electing a repulican to a state wide office is slim thanks to the brainwashing the dems have done to the minority “majority” in cook county. We are a welfare state. Republicans might actually expect people to work for a living. I got a call from my union rep last night, telling me to vote for Hynes. they think we are lemmings.

CriticalUpdate on February 2, 2010 at 1:38 PM

chicagotrauma on February 2, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Totally agree that was the motive. You can see that at work in the GOP Gov primary. Form the polls I have seen. the establishment candidates lead: Ryan, McKenna, and Dillard.

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 1:39 PM

The general election will be a piece of cake.

tencole on February 2, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I’m hoping for Quinn and Giannoulias because I believe that they’ll bring bad mojo to the Dems in November, but a piece of cake? Really? I’d like some of whatever you’re smoking.

ElectricPhase on February 2, 2010 at 1:41 PM

ReformedAndDangerous on February 2, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Kirk is socially liberal, and a hypocrite. What Navy person would get a zero rating from the NRA?
I was on a telephone townhall with him and he skirted the 2nd amendment questions with skillful omissions of truth.
“I support the 2nd amendment” and ” I own two guns myself”
When asked about carry laws for Illinois he stated that gun laws are a states issue and he wouldn’t have to deal with it. Any gun question he dodged “as a states issue”. He was artful. He is a scumbag, but he’s better than most Democrats and certainly any Progressive.

chicagotrauma on February 2, 2010 at 1:42 PM

My problem with Kirk and cap-and-trade is this – ‘global warming’ and/or ‘climate change’ is a farce, always has been. If he can’t clearly think his way through on an issue as important as that, I don’t want him to be the R standard-bearer. If he cynically voted for it to make him more acceptable to the media and idiots voting int he general election, I don’t want him to be the R standard-bearer.

Sheerq on February 2, 2010 at 1:46 PM

ElectricPhase on February 2, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Agreed. these pieces of garbage would be gifts for the Repubs and they are awful enough that true Cons like Adam or Pat Hughes could win. Quinn wants to raise taxes and let out thousands of criminals early. Giannoulis is a scumbag.
However, once milquetoast Kirk is in there we will probably be stuck with him.

chicagotrauma on February 2, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I’m not feeling well – I know general election voters are not idiots.

Sheerq on February 2, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I voted this morning at 7:15 for Adam and Pat Hughes. Turnout did indeed look light (I was one of two voters).

kbfntc on February 2, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Sheerq on February 2, 2010 at 1:46 PM

It is becoming more apparent to me that Kirk will win the primary. I know he’s a loser, but imagine these things..

1 imagine how much it will sting The Won if an R takes his seat.

2 imagine how much damage an entitled scumbag like Giannoulias could do if elected.

3 would you rather worry about how much damage G would do everytime he voted, or worry a little bit every so often if Kirk were in place?

chicagotrauma on February 2, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I too am in the 14th and will vote for Hultgren, not an inexperienced Hastert. I just want Foster out! I am surprised how many Adam and Hughes votes there are in this post so far. That was the way I was leaning. I really didn’t think either had a chance. I will be voting tonight as I suspect many will since the snow has stopped.

My Dem friend said she wasn’t even voting today and hasn’t even paid much attention to the candidates. I think the R’s are energized for this primary! Hope that rolls into November!

shades of red on February 2, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I didn’t say I wouldn’t vote for Kirk if he wins the primary. However, he is not deserving of support in the primary solely because he may be able to win the general election. The media loves to say someone (Hughes) is too conservative to win a general election. They said the same thing about Reagan, too.

Sheerq on February 2, 2010 at 1:54 PM

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Have you heard of Adams internals… He’s within 2 pts of the leader
Man up, make sure everyone you know votes.

chicagotrauma on February 2, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Sheerq on February 2, 2010 at 1:54 PM

This is the one cycle where Dems (progressives or now populists) will be hated enough that indys, repubs, real dems can pull a Scott Brown in November. VOTE FOR Adam A and Pat Hughes.

chicagotrauma on February 2, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Just got back from casting my vote… Andy Andrzejewski for Gov., Patrick Hughes for Senator… fingers are crossed… nothing would please me more than to see the People’s Republic of Illinois elect a few conservatives.

Or, even one, for that matter.

jana on February 2, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Well let’s stay realistic – we are all like-minded here so a landslide for Andrzejewski and Hughes is sadly unlikely.

Sheerq on February 2, 2010 at 2:06 PM

chicagotrauma on February 2, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Then present him with this clause of the IL constitution:

SECTION 22. RIGHT TO ARMS
Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I know the right to bear arms is being infringed in Chicago.

WashJeff on February 2, 2010 at 2:11 PM

IDK, call me old fashioned, but I don’t think anything should be posted for others to read that isn’t up to par with freshman high school English standards. Its hard not to criticize when there are glaring grammatical errors in every single one of your posts.

thphilli on February 2, 2010 at 2:11 PM