Groundhog Day!

posted at 6:00 am on February 2, 2010 by Karl

Rise and shine, campers! And don’t forget your booties, ’cause it’s cooooold out there today.

It’s cold out there every day.

Today, Punxsutawney Phil — the Seer of Seers, Sage of Sages, Prognosticator of Prognosticators, and Weather Prophet Extraordinary — will predict whether we will have six more weeks of winter. According to the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club, Phil has seen his shadow 97 times, and hasn’t seen it (predicting an early spring) only 14 times. Phil’s track record is hotly disputed, though he’s has had a pretty good run recently. Nevertheless, thousands will await the sunrise and the groundhog at Gobbler’s Knob in the tiny Pennsylvania hamlet that has become known as the “Weather Capital of the World,” due in no small part to the movie that makes every day Groundhog Day.

This is o­ne time where the Internet really fails to capture the true excitement of a movie about a large squirrel predicting the weather. However, you can see the trailer as a refresher:

The appeal of the film transcends ideology. In 2005, Roger Ebert revisited it:

“Groundhog Day” is a film that finds its note and purpose so precisely that its genius may not be immediately noticeable. It unfolds so inevitably, is so entertaining, so apparently effortless, that you have to stand back and slap yourself before you see how good it really is.

Certainly I underrated it in my original review; I enjoyed it so easily that I was seduced into cheerful moderation. But there are a few films, and this is one of them, that burrow into our memories and become reference points. When you find yourself needing the phrase This is like “Groundhog Day” to explain how you feel, a movie has accomplished something.

At the other end of the political spectrum, Jonah Goldberg also revisited the movie in 2005, with an equally effusive meditation that grabbed the cover of National Review:

When I set out to write this article, I thought it’d be fun to do a quirky homage to an offbeat flick, o­ne I think is brilliant as both comedy and moral philosophy. But while doing what I intended to be cursory research — how much reporting do you need for a review of a twelve-year-old movie that plays constantly o­n cable? — I discovered that I wasn’t alone in my interest. In the years since its release the film has been taken up by Jews, Catholics, Evangelicals, Hindus, Buddhists, Wiccans, and followers of the oppressed Chinese Falun Gong movement…

Indeed, in 2004, the Independent observed that the Harold Ramis comedy has been hailed by some religious leaders as the most spiritual film of all time. In addition to the examples given in that article, another can be found at the Christian Science Monitor.

But maybe the last word should be given to Phil Connors:

When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But standing here among the people of Punxsutawney and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, I couldn’t imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter.

Update: Phil saw his shadow, signaling six more weeks of winter.

Comments

I have this reoccurring dream that every time the Democrats and Obama face any issue they spend a couple hundred billion dollars, weird huh?

rob verdi on February 2, 2010 at 6:27 AM

“Don’t drive angry.”

SurferDoc on February 2, 2010 at 6:28 AM

Phil will see Obama’s shadow, which means six more months of unemployment.

Enoxo on February 2, 2010 at 6:31 AM

It’s Groundhog Day everyday for the Democrats….spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush,spend, Bush, spend, Bush,
spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush,spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush,spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush,spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush,spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush,spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush, spend, Bush,

yoda on February 2, 2010 at 6:35 AM

I prefer the alternative, Woodchuck Day.

trubble on February 2, 2010 at 6:41 AM

I love winter and am not nearly ready to see it go.

myrenovations on February 2, 2010 at 6:46 AM

yoda on February 2, 2010 at 6:35 AM

spot on

cmsinaz on February 2, 2010 at 6:46 AM

Groundhog day always confuses me. If he sees his shadow, there is six more weeks of winter. If he doesn’t then spring starts in a month and a half. Is that how it works? ;)

As for the movie, Groundhog Day is one of my favorites and my wife’s favorites. Its funny, sweet, poignant, Bill Murray is in top form and Andy McDowell is stunningly beautiful!

Spectreman on February 2, 2010 at 7:05 AM

I love that movie, but whenever I think about it, I get The Pennsylvania Polka stuck in my head. I’ve known about Groundhog day all my life, but until I saw the movie, I had no idea it was such a party. My wife’s sister lives in Philadelphia and having visited and come to know Pennsylvanians, it now makes sense. Those people will party at the drop of a hat or, apparently, a rat crawling out of a stump.

Kafir on February 2, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Phil will see Obama’s shadow, which means six more months of unemployment.

Enoxo on February 2, 2010 at 6:31 AM

Bravo! Though I think Phil may be on the low end of that estimate.

highhopes on February 2, 2010 at 7:09 AM

Kafir on February 2, 2010 at 7:06 AM

In New Orleans, they don’t even need the hat.

highhopes on February 2, 2010 at 7:10 AM

I inherited this weather from the past 8 years, but I promise to spend $150B to stimulate spring.

angryed on February 2, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Rise and shine, campers!

I’ve always had a soft spot for Meatballs, as well.

Wethal on February 2, 2010 at 7:13 AM

Phil will see Obama’s shadow, which means six more months of unemployment.

Enoxo on February 2, 2010 at 6:31 AM

Bwahahahahaha!!! Thread winner!

csdeven on February 2, 2010 at 7:17 AM

As someone enduring their first North Dakotan winter..all I can say is please, please, please let it be cloudy in Pennsylvania! It is negative 5 this morning and I have to clean all the freaking snow off my truck..again..

TXMomof3 on February 2, 2010 at 7:21 AM

Holy hell

early post on HotAir
I love wakin up to an early post

blatantblue on February 2, 2010 at 7:23 AM

TXMomof3 on February 2, 2010 at 7:21 AM

I was wondering how you were doing. 8 years here in Nebraska….love Nebraska, but sure do miss San Antonio.

yoda on February 2, 2010 at 7:24 AM

blatantblue on February 2, 2010 at 7:23 AM

Morning, Sunshine!

TXMomof3 on February 2, 2010 at 7:24 AM

yoda on February 2, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Honestly? Some days aren’t half bad. Last night as we were going to dinner it was snowing and I thought it was absolutely beautiful. Other times, when I am picking my a$$ up off the parking lot, not so much…

TXMomof3 on February 2, 2010 at 7:26 AM

TXMomof3 on February 2, 2010 at 7:26 AM

It was -22 here several weeks ago…froze my behind off! We even stuck a pair of my husband’s Wranglers and cowboy boots upside down in a large snow bank by the house. I’m trying to come up with a frame to put a hula skirt and lei up as a “it’s too darn cold” protest in the snow bank.

yoda on February 2, 2010 at 7:35 AM

Morning, Sunshine!

TXMomof3 on February 2, 2010 at 7:24 AM

morning
im glad to be a awake

had the worst dream EVER. dreamt i was working at planned parenthood cause i was forced to. awful

blatantblue on February 2, 2010 at 7:35 AM

Winter, slumbering in the open air, wears on its smiling face a dream of spring.

Ciao!

Jaibones on February 2, 2010 at 7:41 AM

“Don’t drive angry.”

SurferDoc on February 2, 2010 at 6:28 AM

Not bad for a quadruped.

Jaibones on February 2, 2010 at 7:42 AM

blatantblue on February 2, 2010 at 7:35 AM

That might be a sign you need to step away from the political arena for a while.

angryed on February 2, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Well, did he see his shadow or not?

BacaDog on February 2, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Well, did he see his shadow or not?

BacaDog on February 2, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Yep

JetBoy on February 2, 2010 at 7:44 AM

yep, with complete cloud cover, and flurries over all of PA…what a crock.

bernzright777 on February 2, 2010 at 7:48 AM

In the frame of mind of Larry, “people think all I do is hold the camera (keyboard); but there’s a lot more to it than that”.

Robert17 on February 2, 2010 at 7:48 AM

I had the weirdest and longest dream ever.
We elected some unknown, anti-American Marxist to be president.

*shudder*

justltl on February 2, 2010 at 7:49 AM

yoda on February 2, 2010 at 7:35 AM

Our worst night was -36. It was a wakeup call for a Texas girl!

TXMomof3 on February 2, 2010 at 7:51 AM

justltl on February 2, 2010 at 7:49 AM

I have been having that same nightmare! Scary, huh?

TXMomof3 on February 2, 2010 at 7:52 AM

I love that flick! “I Got You Babe” is even my ringtone.

KS Rex on February 2, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Gotta love Western Pennsylvania. Except that they keep electing John Murtha.

IlikedAUH2O on February 2, 2010 at 7:57 AM

OT, but the mayor that Obambi bowed to will be on FOX in 20 minutes for an explanation…

bernzright777 on February 2, 2010 at 7:58 AM

I love that stupid movie.

Cindy Munford on February 2, 2010 at 8:10 AM

They do the same thing in Kresgeville (I hate when people feel that they have to copy something else)not too far down the road from my town here in PA. They even covered it on the TV station out of Scranton this morning. But they had to use someone’s pet raccoon because their groundhog died this past weekend. Are we losers or what?

Jeff on February 2, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Had a dream…We elected some unknown, anti-American Marxist to be president. He was a pathological liar and nearly brought the country down after only a year in office. (justltl on February 2, 2010 at 7:49 AM)

But, then WE THE PEOPLE got together and booted his sorry a** out because he wasn’t Constitutionally qualified. (Needs a happy, hopeful outcome-and it could happen)

indypat on February 2, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Groundhog Day is probably in my top 10 of all time. Amazing movie.

madne0 on February 2, 2010 at 8:30 AM

I’m going to go out on a limb and predict that we here in southern AZ have about two weeks of winter (defined as temps below 75) left to go.

Triple digits, here we come!

AZCoyote on February 2, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Such a great movie.

mbs on February 2, 2010 at 8:40 AM

And here are the five pictures nominated for Best Picture Osacar the year “Groundhog Day” was released:

Schindler’s List
The Piano
The Fugitive
In the Name of the Father
The Remains of the Day

Schindler’s List deserved the Oscar and won it. I think you can argue Groundhog Day is a better film than any of the other four nominees. Good Lord, I enjoyed The Fugitive, but that certainly isn’t an Oscar caliber picture.

radjah shelduck on February 2, 2010 at 8:41 AM

“Have you noticed there is something wrong with Phil?”

“There are a lot of things wrong….with Phil”

DeweyWins on February 2, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I love the movie too.

But as far as winter goes, the big rat $#CKS.
Its ok though. Winter here in Michigan has not been so bad.
I was going to take the car to the car wash last week to get rid of the road salt, but it rained and washed it away.
Rain in the last week of January in Michigan.

But my big regret this year is that I paid my 14 year old son for snow removal for the entire season and it only snowed once that needed shoveling. I pray for snow now just to get my moneys worth.

mechkiller_k on February 2, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Speaking of Pennsylvania parties, don’t forget Wing Bowl on Friday!

either orr on February 2, 2010 at 9:29 AM

You want a prediction about the weather, you’re asking the wrong Phil. I’ll give you a winter prediction: It’s gonna be cold, it’s gonna be grey, and it’s gonna last you for the rest of your life.

I love this movie.

Jaibones on February 2, 2010 at 9:30 AM

I liked the movie, and watched it again the other day.

Also, today would have been my father’s 93 birthday. He fought and was wounded in WWII. He passed on November 12, 1994. If he were alive today, he’d be marching on Washington with the other Tea Partiers and, knowing him, with a shotgun.

And we’ve been lucky the last 5-6 years in Virginia with mild winters. However, now it’s our turn in the barrel. 12 inches last weekend, snow/rain today, 12 more inches Friday/Saturday. I haven’t seen this much snow since the winter of 1979, when I was trapped in an apartment with a 4 year old, a 3 year old, a newborn, and my mother for two solid weeks.

I still have nightmares.

Sarah2053 on February 2, 2010 at 9:56 AM

For years I had stated this was one of my all time favorite movies and people thought I was nuts.

Sheerq on February 2, 2010 at 10:29 AM

How is it that Murray from the movie is now an old man and Andie McDowell is doing skin and hair ads for l’Oreal?

Christian Conservative on February 2, 2010 at 10:32 AM

This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype. Groundhog Day used to mean something in this town. They used to pull the hog out, and they used to eat it. You’re hypocrites, all of you!

This is one time where television really fails to capture the true excitement of a large squirrel predicting the weather.

Great movie.

Left Coast Right Mind on February 2, 2010 at 10:36 AM

“I’m a god.”

“You’re God?”

I’m a god. I’m not the God…. at least I don’t think so.”

JohnGalt23 on February 2, 2010 at 10:43 AM

If you like your health plan, you can keep it… (I’m lying)

If you like your health plan, you can keep it… (I’m lying)

If you like your health plan, you can keep it… (I’m lying)

If you like your health plan, you can keep it… (I’m lying)

If you like your health plan, you can keep it… (I’m lying)

…..

gridlock2 on February 2, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Phil saw his shadow, signaling six more weeks of winter

However, Georgia’s rodent weather prognosticator, General Beauregard Lee did not see his shadow this morning! Spring is on its way to Dixie!

Brat on February 2, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I didn’t have a groundhog this year. Two years ago, when my ground hog came out, my five pointers jumped him and ate him. I ain’t got no more ground hog.

Old Country Boy on February 2, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Love that movie, of course, but thanks a lot, fellas – I just realized I have The PA Polka in my head, too!

Jaclyn on February 2, 2010 at 12:59 PM

“Believe it or not I was a 19th Century French Poetry major.”

“What a complete waste of time. I mean for somebody else that would be a waste of time, but you must be a very strong person.”

[paraphrased]

Branch Rickey on February 2, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Sarah2053 on February 2, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Your Dad is with us!!!

Branch Rickey on February 2, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Nuts. Groundhog Day is actually one of my favorite holidays (thanks in no small part to the movie). I just wish that he hadn’t seen his shadow because it’s cooooooold here. LOL!

Theophile on February 2, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Where I’m from (Michigan) 6 more weeks of winter does mean an early spring.

Goldenavatar on February 2, 2010 at 4:12 PM