Video: Tax subsidy critic Michael Moore receives Michigan tax subsidy he criticized

posted at 12:02 pm on January 31, 2010 by Michelle

The Mackinac Center of Michigan exposes crockumentarian Michael Moore’s embrace of government tax subsidies for a deep-pocketed private business.

His business.

Moore applied for and will receive the tax goodies while sitting on Michigan’s Film Office Advisory Council:

The 2009 documentary “Capitalism: A Love Story,” produced by Michigan filmmaker Michael Moore, has been approved for a subsidy from the Michigan Film Office, according to a video released today by Kathy Hoekstra, communications specialist for the Mackinac Center for Public Policy. Moore is a member of the Film Office Advisory Council, which advises the state-run Michigan Film Office.

“While we don’t blame Mr. Moore and his production team for taking what is offered, it’s striking that a movie focused on the inequities of granting taxpayer dollars to private enterprise would apply for and receive taxpayer-funded incentives,” said Michael LaFaive, fiscal policy director at the Mackinac Center. “Government should not be bailing out or subsidizing Wall Street banks or main street filmmakers. As Moore knows, this marriage between government and business — in the name of creating and saving jobs — can facilitate every sort of mischief.”

At a forum in July 2008, Moore seemed critical of the program, which provides filmmakers with refundable tax credits worth as much as 42 percent of expenditures for movies made in the state.

“These are large multinational corporations — Viacom, GE, Rupert Murdoch — that own these studios,” said Moore at the Traverse City event. “Why do they need our money, from Michigan, from our taxpayers, when we’re already broke here? I mean, they play one state against another, and so they get all this free cash when they’re making billions already in profits. What’s the thinking behind that?”

Janet Lockwood, director of the Michigan Film Office, would not disclose how much the payment might be for “Capitalism: A Love Story.”

“Given the state’s precarious fiscal status, should struggling families and businesses continue subsidizing filmmakers?” asked LaFaive. “How can a state with the nation’s worst unemployment rate justify special tax favors to millionaire filmmakers? We already know the incentive fails as an economic development tool.”

More from Mackinac here.

Captain Do-As-I-Say-Not-As-I-Do strikes again.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Leftist elitists do this stuff? Really?

bbz123 on January 31, 2010 at 12:04 PM

What a creep. This guy reeks to high heaven.

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2010 at 12:07 PM

This country would be so much better if we had less of Moore. Cuba would be a nice place for him, but I imagine there he couldn’t own his business in the first place, let alone have it subsidized by government.

Liam on January 31, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I feel sorry for that chair.

Bishop on January 31, 2010 at 12:08 PM

SO now he has the taxpayers buying his pizzas.

perroviejo on January 31, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Jenny Craig and Weight Watcher’s were not available for comment.

Knucklehead on January 31, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Little known fact about the video: That placard MM is wearing… that’s actually the Greater Detroit White Pages.

BKeyser on January 31, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I shall have donut to celebrate how sweet this story is.

myrenovations on January 31, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Leftists do not believe that the rules they champion apply to them.

rbj on January 31, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Hypocrite.

Yellowdog12 on January 31, 2010 at 12:14 PM

O/T (sorry Boss)

Just heard on CNN from Gibb’s mouth: “We’re on the five yard line….we’re ONE VOTE away from passing health care reform in the HOUSE.”

This is getting un-nerving!

Rovin on January 31, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Damn right, he wants that movie subsidized. It bombed at the box office.

Maybe Moore should put his money where his mouth is. The Michigan taxpayers will foot part of the bill for Capitalism, but he has to “spread the wealth around” with his profits from Bowling For Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11. That sound fair?

Doughboy on January 31, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Leftists do not believe that the rules they champion apply to them.

rbj on January 31, 2010 at 12:13 PM

See “Al Gore”.

Del Dolemonte on January 31, 2010 at 12:17 PM

But that’s the, for lack of a better term, beauty of Michael Moore. He’s not a little hypocritical, he’s in your face-shouting from the rooftops hypocritical, which only serves to beclown the idiots who take anything he says or does seriously. It’s like he’s trying to make fools of them. Sometimes I think he’s a Conservative in Donkey drag just trying to see how much he can get away with.

Think about it, this is a morbidly obese millionaire who gets people to pay him to rail against the excesses of Capitalism. You might as well walk up to strangers on the street, tell them they’re stupid moronic idiots and then get 20 bucks from them. Yeah, Michael Moore is a gigantic tool, but anyone who listens to him should be declared legally incompetent.

trubble on January 31, 2010 at 12:19 PM

O/T but do we have new bloggers on the payroll today. So far we have one post from Karl, one from Cassy Fiano, two from Ed and two from Michelle? Not that I am complaining, just wondering what is up?

conservnut on January 31, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I’m tired of these sleazy FATcats.

Kataklysmic on January 31, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Born and raised in Iowa it was my observation the fattest pigs push their way to the trough and get their fill while grunting and squealing at the smaller ones trying to keep them from feeding while they got their fill!
Moore literally illustrates the practice nicely!

chickasaw42 on January 31, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Maybe the state can just pay him some “hush” money, so we never hear from him again.

cobrakai99 on January 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Michelle, I can’t say I am shocked by the hypocrisy of Michael Moore. What does surprise me is that you linked to a video of a mudslide …. oh wait…

August Horch on January 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Doughboy on January 31, 2010 at 12:17 PM

How about if he just offers a free rifle to anyone that can sit through any of his movies?

TugboatPhil on January 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM

If you listen closely, you can actually hear him getting fatter.

catmman on January 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM

If he gets any bigger, that limousine liberal will have to become a dump truck liberal.

jgapinoy on January 31, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I’m sure he’ll blow it all on doughnuts and chocolate milk…….

JoeinTX on January 31, 2010 at 12:29 PM

We need an hypocrisy site to keep track of all of these. Like Coakley saying she was against the Insurance and HC companies and then flying down to DC o stuff her pockets with their money in the final weeks of the campaign. There so many of these and they get quickly forgotten as the next one pops up… anybody got the time?

TheBigOldDog on January 31, 2010 at 12:31 PM

The Biggest Loser.

Electrongod on January 31, 2010 at 12:34 PM

But he can’t do that for Fahrenheit
(sarcasm on)
I mean he promised he’d donate all the profits for that movie to somebody or some organization. I mean it isn’t like he’d use Hollywood accounting to have his film never generate a profit or anything
(sarcasm off)

Dave_d on January 31, 2010 at 12:36 PM

He looks as if he needs an enema. His films support this.

SurferDoc on January 31, 2010 at 12:36 PM

is anyone surprised?

rob verdi on January 31, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Hypocrisy much?

darii on January 31, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I’m shocked, shocked I say.

Mojave Mark on January 31, 2010 at 12:39 PM

He looks as if he needs an enema. His films support this.

SurferDoc on January 31, 2010 at 12:36 PM

On which end? Cause both orifices spew crap.

darii on January 31, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Free government money for you, BAD.
Free government money for me, GOOD.

Skandia Recluse on January 31, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Michael Moore….be a kind and giving Democrat and spread your love wealth around.

yoda on January 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Eh.

Par for the lefty course.

uknowmorethanme on January 31, 2010 at 12:44 PM

TheBigOldDog on January 31, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I’m only 28, I don’t think I can do it in my lifetime.

uknowmorethanme on January 31, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Video: Anti-Capitalist Pig Michael Moore embraces hypocrisy again

What a stooge.

hillbillyjim on January 31, 2010 at 12:47 PM

conservnut on January 31, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Other than MM and Ed, the others have been posting in the Green Room for a while. I think AP is getting a much needed break.

conservative pilgrim on January 31, 2010 at 12:47 PM

conservative pilgrim on January 31, 2010 at 12:47 PM

If it means more content on the weekend, then I’m all for it!

darii on January 31, 2010 at 12:48 PM

November can’t come to soon…

d1carter on January 31, 2010 at 12:50 PM

O/T (sorry Boss)

This is getting un-nerving!

Rovin on January 31, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Gulp. When you look up Tone Deaf and Out of Control in the dictionary, you will find a picture of the current Democratic controlled Congress and the Democrat President Obama.

Cross-references will include Socialism, Marxism, Causes of Second US Civil War, Fascism, (Insert yours here).

conservative pilgrim on January 31, 2010 at 12:50 PM

No, no NO, NOT AGAIN- CAPTAIN RENAULT- GET OUT OF MY HEAD NOW!!!!!!

Amendment X on January 31, 2010 at 12:51 PM

If it means more content on the weekend, then I’m all for it!

darii on January 31, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Me too!

conservative pilgrim on January 31, 2010 at 12:51 PM

O/T (sorry Boss)

This is getting un-nerving!

Rovin on January 31, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Sounds like a lot of bluster…esp. given how all week we had conflicting reports that health care was dead…then alive…then dead…etc.

darii on January 31, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Michael Moore has been an opportunist capitalist from the start. No surprise the hypocrite is taking handouts. Besides, his movies are crap on a sandwich and his audience has dwindled significantly. Maybe he needs the money.

scalleywag on January 31, 2010 at 12:52 PM

yoda on January 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Well, he does have a lot to spread around doesn’t he…on many levels.

Amendment X on January 31, 2010 at 12:54 PM

It’s good to see The Boss in the byline. Geez, I really miss VENT.

hillbillyjim on January 31, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Micheal Moore embodies everything the left represents…

..lying
…..cheating
……..anit-military
………….demonizing anyone who disagrees
………………and selling out his own country for personal gain.

….a complete liberal loser.

Baxter Greene on January 31, 2010 at 12:57 PM

As always, his excuse will be ” i have to work in the system we currently have blah blah blah….”. And as usual, the mindless lemmings will believe him.

clearbluesky on January 31, 2010 at 1:00 PM

It’s good to see The Boss in the byline. Geez, I really miss VENT.

hillbillyjim on January 31, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Me too.

clearbluesky on January 31, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Maybe he needs the money.

scalleywag on January 31, 2010 at 12:52 PM

He sure doesn’t need it for more food.

docdave on January 31, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Mikey Moore. Hypocrite. Hey Mikey! DONATED any money for Haiti relief? How about Michigan relief? Or does it all go to MIKEY MOORE?

GarandFan on January 31, 2010 at 1:02 PM

He’s your typical liberal. Do as I say not as I do.

jeanie on January 31, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Well thank goodness Michigan can afford it, oh wait…..

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2010 at 1:07 PM

It’s good to see The Boss in the byline. Geez, I really miss VENT.

hillbillyjim on January 31, 2010 at 12:55 PM

VENT was awesome. *sigh* Miss it too.

conservative pilgrim on January 31, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Michael Moore is nothing more than a big piece of…

USMCDevilDog on January 31, 2010 at 1:11 PM

If Moore did not vote on the qualification of his particular film for the tax credit, and if there was no cronyism involved, then there is nothing wrong with his applying for and getting the tax credit, even if he were against giving tax credits to anyone.

That is, even if a person is against the government’s setting up a particular entitlement, there is nothing wrong with that person’s taking advantage of that entitlement just like the people who did vote for it.

So, Michael Moore may be a hypocrite and he may be fat, but neither of those is proved by his applying for the tax credit.

Ira on January 31, 2010 at 1:11 PM

His your typical leftie, USA sucks, his ilk is great.Well Mikie I got news for you. You and your ilk suck and suck big time.

USMCDevilDog on January 31, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Who is surprised by this?

His response will be: ‘I didn’t do anything illegal did I?’ Then he’ll donate the $$$ to Haiti, liberals will praise him for his selfless donation, and all will be forgotten.

ROCnPhilly on January 31, 2010 at 1:14 PM

conservnut on January 31, 2010 at 12:20 PM

conservative pilgrim on January 31, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I think both Ed and AP have been AWOL since last night.

AP’s QOTD post: 9:00pm exactly (last night)
Ed’s Obamateurism post: 9:00am exactly
Ed’s NFL post: 10:00am exactly

These regular features were lined up in the pipe on automatic pilot. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

IrishEi on January 31, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Ira on January 31, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Hey Ira, it is hypocritical to proselytize against something and yet do it yourself.

ROCnPhilly on January 31, 2010 at 1:17 PM

IrishEi on January 31, 2010 at 1:17 PM

I don’t know how they do this 24/7 job. We all know AP doesn’t have much of a life. ;-) Ed has a family. A day off here and there should maintain their sanity and keep us satisfied. :-)

conservative pilgrim on January 31, 2010 at 1:23 PM

ROCnPhilly on January 31, 2010 at 1:17 PM

1. I am against ObamaCare; and
2. I tell people that it will hurt America.

So, if ObamaCare passes and I take advantage of some benefit under it which I would not have it it doesn’t pass, would it be your opinion, ROC, that I would be hypocritical?

Ira on January 31, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Ira on January 31, 2010 at 1:11 PM

He didn’t just accept the subsidy, he applied for it. Applying for a subsidy you criticized doesn’t meet the threshold for hypocrisy? What does?

Extrafishy on January 31, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Crockumentary? I love it. That fits his genre.

carbon_footprint on January 31, 2010 at 1:28 PM

I do so look forward to the day when Michael Moore is reduced to nothing less than a question in a future edition of Trivial Pursuit.

Until then, I am proud to proclaim that I have never bothered to even check any frame of film this shill has made and have no plans to any time soon.

pilamaye on January 31, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Weighty people have bad body odors. His is particularly foul. Bad breath too!

wepeople on January 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM

It’s not a simple as hypocrisy. I mean, it is hypocrisy, but it’s more than that.

When you say Capitalism, Moore hears Mercantilism. You could point that out to him and he’d keep making the same mistake, because his brain is miswired.

It’s a “liberal thing,” they always have trouble telling different things apart, that’s why they’re always pulling idiot stunts like comparing US troops in Gitmo to Nazis running mass-extermination camps (Dick Durbin).

He even gets mercantilism wrong, but that’s another matter.

As a side note, I was looking for something on Google Video and found a bazillion copies of the horribly inaccurate conspiracy video “Loose Change,” and no counterpoints. I wonder if that’s an artifact of Google’s well-known proclivities, or it there really is such a large group of ignorant conspiracy theorists out there. Speaking of Farenheit 9/11…

Merovign on January 31, 2010 at 1:34 PM

This giant walking pile of horse manure is not the only one complaining about the tax credit. Most of the conservatives in this state are complaining as well, since the tax breaks don’t necessarily help the state. Of course the property tax abate that went to Government Motors in downtown Detroit at the RenCen that was for 2600 jobs to stay didn’t turn out so well, since they have only have about 1000 jobs there now and don’t really intend to keep any of them there in the future.

flytier on January 31, 2010 at 1:42 PM

See “Al Gore”.

Del Dolemonte on January 31, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I try to watch Al Bore, but as soon as he speaks , I fall asleep ……in fact (yawn) just talking …about…hi–

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

cableguy615 on January 31, 2010 at 1:43 PM

What a leftist, progressive hypocrite!

MeAlice on January 31, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Capitalism: A Love Affair II.

Dark-Star on January 31, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I don’t know how they do this 24/7 job…

conservative pilgrim on January 31, 2010 at 1:23 PM

I’m with you Pilgrim. It’s all I can do to keep up with reading my favorite sites–can’t imagine having to write up thoughtful, analytical blog posts to boot.

I appreciate “our guys” and miss them when they’re not around. But the subs are doing OK today. ;-)

IrishEi on January 31, 2010 at 1:50 PM

The worst part is these film jobs are just temporary jobs. And the state has these tax credit programs or whatever for them. Meanwhile, if someone starts a new company and hires NON manufacturing tech and office jobs in Michigan that pay well and are permanent positions, there is ZERO, ZIP, NADA tax incentives.

Now, why does this seem backwards? No wonder this state is an economic mess. They just can’t figure it all out.

Just as Sarah Palin says, we need COMMON SENSE Americans in charge of all levels of government.

karenhasfreedom on January 31, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Hip O crite, thy name is Michael Moore.

capejasmine on January 31, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Livin’ off the fat of the land.

29Victor on January 31, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Michael Moore can repent for the err of his capitalist ways by sending his fortune to me.

englishqueen01 on January 31, 2010 at 1:51 PM

It would not be that big a deal except for the fact that they took the time and effort to apply for it. I know, stating the obvious, but it is difficult for me to get my mind to comprehend the extent of hypocrisy of the bleeders…

yubley on January 31, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Probably both.

clearbluesky on January 31, 2010 at 1:55 PM

pants on the floor
pants on the floor
tingle up my leg and
pants on the floor

bluegrass on January 31, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I say let two of this state’s famous people square off against each other with weapons of their choice. The loser is exiled.

Michael Moore vs. Ted Nugent

Yoop on January 31, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Fat Cat Bankers Michael Moore

Herb on January 31, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Dust off your copies of Do As I Say, Not As I Do: Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy by Peter Schweitzer, and add this clip inside the back cover. (If Nancy Pelosi’s recent outrages don’t already fill up that area.)

Of course, Moore will plead his “independent” status, and his struggling everyman identity against the corporate greed machines, and his excuse for this hypocritical cash grab. He is quoted as saying that he’s under pressure from the studio; nobly turning down subsidy would burnish his appearance of independence.

brambo_42 on January 31, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Moore is the ultimate dirtbag

bill30097 on January 31, 2010 at 2:39 PM

He looks as if he needs an enema. His films support this.

SurferDoc on January 31, 2010 at 12:36 PM
BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

KATDADDY on January 31, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Hey, Michigan Film Office: grow a pair! Here’s your response to Mr. Moore, gratis …

Dear Mr. Moore,
Thank you for applying for a rebate from the Michigan Film Office (MFO) for your latest work, “Capitalism: A Love Story”. As it so happens, we here at MFO actually viewed this work. Having done so, we were struck by the opinions you expressed in this film concerning “facilitat[ing] every sort of mischief … [through] the marriage between government and business.” You are, of course, well aware that filmmaking is a business. This, coupled with your strongly and deeply held views related above, leads us to conclude that your application for a subsidy either (1) was submitted by an acquaintance of yours as a practical joke, or (2) was in fact submitted by you in a moment of weakness or forgetfulness. No matter how it came to be, we know that a filmmaker of your stature and with your high standards of conduct and honesty would be thoroughly embarrassed and humiliated were we to grant you this subsidy and the matter became public knowledge. Accordingly, and to preserve your good name and reputation, we are returning your application and hope that you will appreciate our having done so.

Sincerely, etc.

P.S., We here at MFO will remain watchful and vigilant against further oversights of this nature and will continue to reject these clearly fraudulent and unintended applications submitted in your name. You are one of Michigan’s greatest treasures and an inspiration to us all in this present fiscal crisis.

———
Those of you here at HA must please pardon me, I have to go rinse out the acrid taste in my mouth from the series of “vurps” that struck me as I penned the postscript …

ya2daup on January 31, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Well, he does have a lot to spread around doesn’t he…on many levels.
Amendment X on January 31, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Michael looks like he could skip a few meals…..he’s livin’ high on the hog. ( :

yoda on January 31, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Hey, the film was a flop. Gotta make a profit somehow. Now that’s love.

spmat on January 31, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Moore. A Hippocrit.

Hyunchback on January 31, 2010 at 5:29 PM

He is the best example of the Left. What a turd.

WWCathodeRay on January 31, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Maybe,Moore could start up his own HealthCare in Cuba,
for the ones,Castro doesn’t cover!!(sarc).

canopfor on January 31, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Moore. A Hippocrit? No just a hippo.

Hummer53 on January 31, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Michael looks like he could skip a few meals…..he’s livin’ high on the hog. ( :

yoda on January 31, 2010 at 4:23 PM

yoda: Yup,and he’s starting to look like a cow too,oops,
thats being mean!:)

canopfor on January 31, 2010 at 6:43 PM

yoda: Yup,and he’s starting to look like a cow too,oops,
thats being mean!:)
canopfor on January 31, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Is this too mean?

yoda on January 31, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Nothing like looting a sinking ship.

T J Green on January 31, 2010 at 6:53 PM

But Moore has the pre-reqmagical good intentions, so his failure to follow his own hypocritical rules is deemed okay by the pimp MSM.

profitsbeard on January 31, 2010 at 7:28 PM

The link to this story does not work.

atheling on January 31, 2010 at 8:07 PM