Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:00 am on January 31, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

It’s time once again to choose the Obamateurism of the Week, and once again, we have so many good choices that one might get a sense of enthusiasm — perhaps even infectious enthusiasm.  Feel free to do your research, but if you do, be sure you’re looking at the correct documents first.  It also helps to remember where you’re at, and if you have to rely on silly crutches, don’t publish the pictures.

Previous 2010 “winners”:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ob*ma’s Obamateurism of the Week was back in Jan. 20, 2009 when he screwed up his oath. Since then it has been an extension of that day, everyday. Like the movie Groundhog Day. Obamahog Day, the gift that keeps on giving.

Electrongod on January 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM

onlineanalyst on January 31, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Read this article this morning. Dana Perino is stepping front and center as an Obama critic.
Notice how an many of his most articulate and fiercest critics are women.
Conservative women absolutely rock!

donh525 on January 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM

I’m sure they were kissing butt and taking names placing blame as usual.

kingsjester on January 31, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Couldn’t help myself

thomasaur on January 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Ed, since you coined the idea and phrase Obamateurism, have you thought about putting them into a book? . . .

katy on January 31, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Not to mention the great graphic (bowing to the teleprompter).

Sowell Disciple on January 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Thanks for the link. Every citizen patriot should work hard in his/her respective state to rid us of these seditious baboons.

onlineanalyst on January 31, 2010 at 11:07 AM

onlineanalyst on January 31, 2010 at 11:07 AM

NE isn’t represented by this caucus, but we’ve got our own Judas to rout out.

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2010 at 11:13 AM

SCOTUS lecture wins by a nose.

dissent555 on January 31, 2010 at 10:57 AM

That would be by the nose of Pinocchio, the only liar more famous than Barack Obama.

backwoods conservative on January 31, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Scolding the Supreme Court over ruling that he got completely wrong during SOTU

Saying the “notion that we are all created equal” is in Constitution rather than Declaration of Independence

Getting real old watching Mr. 57 states show how ignorant he is day in and day out but having the MSM praise him on “style over substance”…

Baxter Greene on January 31, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Did anyone watch Meet the Press? It’s a good thing I don’t throw stuff at televisions.

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Up here you can buy foam rubber ‘bricks’ with the Green Bay Packers colors and logo on them to throw at your TV during the NFL season.

I really wish I had designed and copyrighted foam rubber BAMA BRICKS with Obama’s picture and seal on them. I would be rich. I’m sure somebody probably has already. :-(

Yoop on January 31, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Yoop on January 31, 2010 at 11:15 AM

So a variation on a theme would be copyright infringement? That’s too bad. How about conservative bricks or Constitution bricks?

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2010 at 11:19 AM

President Obama and AG Holder are our man-made disasters. http://article.nationalreview.com/423438/about-saving-face/bill-burck–dana-perino

onlineanalyst on January 31, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Thanks for the link…Great way to start the morning before going to work.

Notice how an many of his most articulate and fiercest critics are women.
Conservative women absolutely rock!

donh525 on January 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM

If only Bush had brought her on a lot earlier instead of the idiot McClellan.

Perino is a super sharp intelligent woman, strong enough to handle any leftist,and absolutely gorgeous.

Glen Reynolds strikes gold with this piece.

Keemo on January 31, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Thanks for the link Keemo….
…Glen’s Instapundit is one he!! of a great blog.

Baxter Greene on January 31, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I would settle for a strong conservative with a backbone being allowed on…..
…….Sarah Palin comes to mind.

Baxter Greene on January 31, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Yoop on January 31, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2010 at 11:19 AM

How about foam rubber chickens? Then we could yell at the TV and say the his chickens are coming home to roost.

thomasaur on January 31, 2010 at 11:28 AM

He used telepropmtrs at a committee meeting?

Bush is Wiley E. Coyote supergenius compared to this empty suit.

daesleeper on January 31, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Or Barry Bricks. :-)

For the generic one we could have Pookie Bricks.

Yoop on January 31, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Easy, SCOTU blunder. Wrong in so many layers yet he thought he was so smart.

Got me to thinking that this is Obama’s whole life. He says something he has spent time thinking out but it is completely wrong. Teachers and professors give him a SOLID B+ for it and he thinks his intellect is the greatest ever to have seen the light of day.

If Obama is the success of affirmative action I don’t want to see the failures.

jukin on January 31, 2010 at 11:32 AM

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2010 at 11:13 AM

I will have an opportunity to talk to Jeff Fortenberry and a few State Senators to discuss healthcare and Nelson in a few weeks. It would be interesting to find out what their thoughts are for us here in Nebraska.

Thanks for finding the Nelson sign photo…I bet his staff closes their eyes each time they pass it.

yoda on January 31, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Ooohh! I like “Pookie Bricks”.

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2010 at 11:38 AM

This is just another classic example of the press slobbering over Obama’s “style” to hide Obama’s inept leadership and bogus “intelligence level”…

from story in headlines:

However, a Smart Politics analysis of nearly 70 oral State of the Union Addresses since the mid-1930s finds the text of Obama’s speech on Wednesday evening to have one of the lowest scores on the Flesch-Kincaid readability test ever recorded by a U.S. President.

HAAAAAA!!!……
….HAAAAAAA!!!!..

….Mr. “I am going to change the world”….Obama’s Address has a readability score for an average 8th grader – two grades lower than George W. Bush’s
….Oh God this is to funny!!!.

Baxter Greene on January 31, 2010 at 11:39 AM

yoda on January 31, 2010 at 11:33 AM

This letter in today’s OWH Public Pulse perfectly sums up Joe & Jane Nebraska’s feelings.

Just listen to what we want

Has Sen. Ben Nelson lost his way? Would he please stop his health care TV ads that appear so often? They are driving me and many others in Nebraska crazy. I can’t get to the mute button fast enough.

I wrote Sen. Nelson last May that it is the economy that needs attention and what we need is a cut in corporate and individual taxes, which has worked in the past.

What we do not need in a recession are higher taxes through cap-and-trade legislation and health care reform.

Why does Sen. Nelson continually want to push through a health care bill when the majority of people in Nebraska and the country don’t seem to want it?

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2010 at 11:42 AM

OmahaConservative on January 31, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Nelson is out-of-touch and like the others, he doesn’t listen Joe and Jane, but to Skippy and Buffy of the elite crowd. He should save his campaign money, because he’s going to need it soon. No, Uncle Warren will make large contributions to his 2012 campaign to bail him out.

yoda on January 31, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Not meaning to take traffice away from HotAir, but Glenn Beck’s expose on “progressives” is worth a view: http://videolink.me/flv/gb012910.html

Good program on the “progressive” movement, supported by credible scholars of history.

onlineanalyst on January 31, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff; worth further research.

GB puts up a quote, attributed to Jefferson, that is apparently not his, though he did write something similar.

dissent555 on January 31, 2010 at 11:51 AM

i have a confession to make.

when the daily OOTD was posted for the teleprompter one, i said that it would receive my vote regardless of what else happened.

i lied. i voted for scolding SCOTUS.

that’s not an amateur’s move, that’s a jerk’s move. do people still use the word jerk? hey O…the jerk store called…

toenail on January 31, 2010 at 11:52 AM

As Ed puts it the plethora of follies presesnted by is voluminous. Some are amatuer, some are mistakes and others are misguided but most certainly intentional. I think the situation may call or seperate polling catagoery’s.

This weeks poll was again a hard pick for me, between the amatuer (podium & TOTUS), the citing incorrect founding document (mistake), and the intentional (castizing the Supremes).

Of those 3, the increasingly prevelent crutch of TOTUS is clearly the most embarassing and depicting a man far outside his depth. His fundamental lack of grasp of the founding documents illustrates with cartoon like quality the fraud perpetrated by Obama’s posturing as a “constitutional scholar”, writ large. But the intentionally demogougic attack on the Supremes was niether amatuer nor, by accident. But rather portends the greatest flaw inherent in this administration to demonize, scapegoat and castigate all those that disagree with him.

In this tradition walks every malignant tyrant in history, when policy failures arise to distract with perceived enemies, to lay blame on those that oppose philosophically, to look to anyone but yourself for the blame is the mark of messianic narcissism. It is the carachter trait of the truly dangerous.

So while in my opinion the comically capturing of Obama in front of perhaps, a dozen of his own cabinet with lectern and prompters gives the most amatuerish image and gives hint to his sense of his own grandiosity, it is not of the greatest import. To attempt to subject 1/3 of our governing structure before populist belittlement and rancor as he did in the SOTU most clearly depicts his disdain for the very pricples he is sworn to protect.

Hmmm, I am feeling another treatise of political commentary coming on. Think I’ll continue this in my next posting on the web-page most of tirades reside.

To summarize, while its most enjoyable to poke fun at Bam-bam’s ineptitude, there should also be a poll of what is his most dangerous actions of the week are.

Cheers!

Archimedes on January 31, 2010 at 11:58 AM

On MTP this morning Mr. Axelrod continued the foreign corporation scare tactic.

Cindy Munford on January 31, 2010 at 11:59 AM

In line with what I said above, the potentiallity of Obama being a tyrant in the making. I see this up on the reader board,

This is what I am talking about, this kind of thing along with the book published…

for kids 6-10 bespeaks to me a man setting the foundation of which alludes, of a president for life. 6yo’s will not be able to vote, and ostensibly Obama will have moved on 12yrs hence. Yet he is recruiting followers that will not come of age for many years!

It reminds one of Disraeli’s old maxim:

“Wherever is found what is called a paternal
government, there is found state education.
It has been discovered that the best way to insure
implicit obedience is to commence tyranny in the nursery.”

Archimedes on January 31, 2010 at 12:10 PM

S.Ct. Dear Liar is not a constitutional scholar. He might be a Das Kapital scholar however.

rbj on January 31, 2010 at 12:16 PM

SCOTUS scolded by unqualified, incompetent, over-promoted clown.

Baracked up, again.

Obama has more gaffes than a fleet of fishing boats.

profitsbeard on January 31, 2010 at 12:20 PM

After so many tough weeks, it’s about time we got an easy pick. This fool goes for the cheap shot every time, it’s incredible. Everywhere he looks (within the USA) he finds enemies.

Meremortal on January 31, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Yoop on January 31, 2010 at 11:15 AM

A quick Google of “Obama Brick” doesn’t return any hits on a product like you describe. You should do some research and go for it.

It did, however, uncover the fact that Barry likes to play Brick Breaker on his Blackberry, and his high score is only around 15,000. Let the derisive laughter commence.

mrpeabody on January 31, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I voted for the big SNAFU by POTUS directed at SCOTUS during STOTU.LOL

Pazman on January 31, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Once again, I would LOVE an all of the above option on this subject. Especially those choices today. All are worthy of a vote. However, I had to go with the Supreme Court. Over all, I think it was in the poorest of taste, and lacking in professionalism, and decorum. Obama still has sooooooo much to learn, and one day he may just get a taste of his own medicine.

I have to say thanks Ed. This is by far my favorite thread when I come here, and I look forward to them daily.

capejasmine on January 31, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I went for the SOTU scold from our constatushinal skollar president, but the infectious Magic Johnson was really, really tempting me! LOL!

TeeDee on January 31, 2010 at 1:44 PM

mrpeabody on January 31, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Maybe a set of collectibles:

Bama Bricks

Barry Bricks

Pookie Bricks

MO Bricks

Gibby Bricks

Nanny Bricks

Harry Bricks

Libby Bricks

… the possibilities are endless.

Yoop on January 31, 2010 at 1:47 PM

all the lefts horses
and all the lefts men
couldn’t put egghead
bacg together again

mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm

bluegrass on January 31, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I want to pick more than one !! The constitutional scholar screws up on a basic tenet of the Declaration; durrrh! I am just so tired of his constant screwups, I am having a hard time making fun of them anymore.. (specially since reading this..)

grasshopper68 on January 31, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I voted for:

Scolding the Supreme Court over ruling that he got completely wrong during SOTU

My Second Place vote goes to:

The dangerous part about this, is not that he got the document wrong, it’s the use of the word ‘notion’.

From dictionary.com (emphasis mine):

no⋅tion
  /ˈnoʊʃən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [noh-shuhn]

–noun
1. a general understanding; vague or imperfect conception or idea of something: a notion of how something should be done.
2. an opinion, view, or belief: That’s his notion, not mine.
3. conception or idea: his notion of democracy.
4. a fanciful or foolish idea; whim: She had a notion to swim in the winter.
5. an ingenious article, device, or contrivance; knickknack.
6. notions, small articles, as buttons, thread, ribbon, and other personal items, esp. such items displayed together for sale, as in a department store.

Which one of these definitions did Obama mean (my money is on #4)? Of the four that are relevant, none are really all that flattering. I was always under the impression that our equality was a fact, not a notion. But then again, I’m not a Constitutional Declaration of Independence scholar.

Oh, and a 3-way tie for Third Place.

Left Coast Right Mind on January 31, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Back to the weekly debate over the definition of Obamateurism…
I think the shameful, populist scolding of SCOTUS was his most egregious act this week. It once again revealed his contempt for America and our institutions and his agenda to demonize an aspect our society so as to stir up anger against them. It is one thing to voice one’s disagreement over a decision, but to hold the Court up to a Public Shaming as he did was insulting. However, it was deliberate, planned and intentional. In my opinion not an ‘Obamateurism,’ but another indication of his agenda to Fundamentally Change the country.
My vote for ‘Obamateurism’ went to the CSOTUS’ (Constitutional Scholar of the United State) remarks showing that he isn’t as intellectual as he wants the uneducated voting masses to think he is.

“Constitution? Declaration? Whatever… Both words sound important, and my voters won’t know the difference.”

– O’s thought process

Tom_OC on January 31, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I think we should all mail Mr. Obama a copy of The Constitution. Seriously.

redwhiteblue on January 31, 2010 at 3:54 PM

SOTU – easy.

RedNewEnglander on January 31, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Had to vote for scolding SCOTUS. Actually, I was hoping for the photo of BHO using his teleprompters to speak to a classroom full of kids! What a weeney!

indypat on January 31, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Obama says “here in Michigan” at an Ohio event

= Ignorance

Praising Magic Johnson’s “infectious enthusiasm

= Miserable attempt at comedy

Using a TelePrompter to address a committee meeting

= Immaturism

Scolding the Supreme Court over ruling that he got completely wrong during SOTU

=Once a thug , always a thug

=Arrogant and clueless (from a lecturer of constitutional law)

macncheez on January 31, 2010 at 5:04 PM

This is like having to choose at the end of the year, again…and it’s only week 4!

MNHawk on January 31, 2010 at 5:46 PM

My vote: ENTIRE SOTU Address

OSUBuciz1 on January 31, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Once again, this week….he acted stupidly.

Hugh Hewitt, a REAL con law professor, would destroy Obowma in a debate….unless it’s above Obowma’s paygrade?

dthorny on January 31, 2010 at 8:25 PM

At the next SOTU address, will Obowma blame the teleprompter for his mistakes?

dthorny on January 31, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Scolding the Supreme Court over ruling that he got completely wrong during SOTU

Barack behaved stupidly when he scolded the Supremes during the SOTU. This was not the venue for such remarks. He was petty, whiny, and wrong.

TN Mom on January 31, 2010 at 11:41 PM

A POTUS, a Constitutional Law Professor, and a former Legislator betraying he has’t a clue about what is in the Constitution has got to be the worst mistake he’s made yet. Both the SCOTUS ruling criticism and his quoting non-existent contents in the Constitution vie for the top. Making up Constitutional contents took my vote. It portends times ahead.

{^_^}