Post-SOTU poll shows disbelief among most voters on Obama claims

posted at 10:35 am on January 30, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Did Barack Obama sell Americans on his claims of progress in Wednesday night’s State of the Union speech?  According to a Rasmussen poll released today, Obama didn’t get a “good, solid B-plus” for honesty.  Only a fifth of respondents believed that Obama cut taxes for 95% of Americans, and even Democrats couldn’t believe the “two million jobs saved or created” fantasy:

The president in the speech declared that his administration has cut taxes for 95% of Americans. He even chided Republicans for not applauding on that point. However, just 21% of voters nationwide believe that taxes have been cut for 95% of Americans. Most (53%) say it has not happened, and 26% are not sure. Other polling shows that nearly half the nation’s voters expect their own taxes to go up during the Obama years.

The president also asserted that “after two years of recession, the economy is growing again.” Just 35% of voters believe that statement is true, while 50% say it is false.

Obama claimed that steps taken by his team are responsible for putting two million people to work “who would otherwise be unemployed.” Just 27% of voters say that statement is true. Fifty-one percent (51%) say it’s false. …

As for the claim about two million jobs, 46% of Democrats say it’s true, while 77% of Republicans say it’s not. As for those not affiliated with either major party, 24% say it’s true, and 59% say it’s false.

The “saved or created” Porkulus fable gets some interesting results in the internals.  Rasmussen mentions that only a plurality of Democrats believe that, and black voters by an even more anemic 38%, with 47% unsure.  The only demographic that has a majority belief in that claim is self-professed liberals, 58% to 18% disbelief.  In every age and income demographic, a majority or plurality reject that claim, including those who make less than $20K a year — where many of the potential hires for new jobs would come.

The numbers get worse for Obama on whether he accomplished what he set out to do in his first year.  An overwhelming majority of 70% say no, including a plurality of Democrats (49%) and liberals (56%).

Overall, Obama is getting a good, solid F for achievements and honesty, but the SOTU speech did have one salutary effect: it momentarily increased the enthusiasm of Democrats.  Before his speech, only 50% of Democrats strongly approved of Obama; in the two polling cycles after SOTU for Rasmussen’s daily tracking poll, that number increased to 65%.  However, Rasmussen reports that the approval ratings of Republicans and independents didn’t change at all, which may indicate that Obama has done little to appeal to the center with this effort.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama is a narcissistic megalomanic. A similar individual was a key player in a major private organization a few years ago and the pattern was the same. He had his view of the world and his role in it, he knew what was best and disdained any contrary view or advice, he doubled down when challenged, attacked the critics of his policies, and ultimately was kicked out. While most others in the organization grew to understand how bad this guy and his views were, his core supporters repeatedly re-upped their enthusiasm for him whenever he spoke, which was increasingly often, just like Obama.
It is no surprise that democrats reacted more favorably to Obama’s speech, because he doubled down. While that continues to drive more rational people away from him, it is nourishment for his core believers.

GaltBlvnAtty on January 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

US History: F

World History: F

Sports (Hard Pivots): F

Personal Appearance (Pants Crease): A+

Recommendation: Should be held back one grade

Yoop on January 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Greta is a thousand times smarter and better at doing interviews then BOR is.

B Man on January 30, 2010 at 11:10 AM

BOR is ticking me off . I don’t care if he’s independent, and tries to play it “fair, and balanced”, but lately, whenever Obama outright lies, Bill defends it, and makes excuses for it. He’s enabling the bad behavior, and I’m sitting there wondering…why?

capejasmine on January 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Thank God he didn’t move independents. He’s going to ride this phony economic bump for a few months, but unemployment will not move for months–indeed, it will get worse.

Get involved, speak up, and hold on for a rocky 10 months. The guy who wasted $160 million in the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, who spent less than a year in the private sector along with some nonsense years in private law practice as a half-a** civil rights lawyer, and who has his money buried in tax-exempt securities is the guy pulling and pushing the levers for the private sector of this country. What could go wrong?

BuckeyeSam on January 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Now I know what it feels like to have a dictator from a third world country outright lie to me.

sonnyspats1 on January 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

He actually said, “I thought I would get applause for that”?
kscheuller on January 30, 2010 at 11:11 AM

He actually said it, during the speech.
RushBaby on January 30, 2010 at 11:40 AM

He really said “I though I would win a Nobel Peace Prize for that.”

Mojave Mark on January 30, 2010 at 11:46 AM

What we’ve got here…is a failure to communicate!

All non-progressives: A night in the box!

Stepan on January 30, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Just read this from the headlines.

Veeeerrrrrrry interesting, and a great catch by RCP.

capejasmine on January 30, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Recommendation: Should be held back one grade

Yoop on January 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

The purpose the the SOTUA. Ob*ma was resetting his presidency back one grade (year). All is fine. We just need to slow down so He can catch up.

Electrongod on January 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM

BuckeyeSam on January 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Thanks for the Mark Steyn update. Steyn rocks!

In the article, Steyn said Obama does a good Nixon impersonation, saying “We don’t quit.” I’ve been hearing echoes of Nixon every time Obama says, “Let me be clear.”

kscheuller on January 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I don’t believe the 2 million. It’s really 3 million because Obama is THAT awesome.
– Liberal Trolls 1, 2 and 7

angryed on January 30, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Of course he has cut taxes for those that no longer pay taxes because they are now unemployed, and don’t forget the others that are now making less than they used to due to underemployment.

Does that add up to 95%? Yeah, that’s what he was trying to say.

b3026 on January 30, 2010 at 11:56 AM

In Obama’s socialist utopia, the masses must suck on big government’s teat. How will we survive another 3 years of this moron?

kscheuller on January 30, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Four words: Republican Congress in 2010.

tigerinexile on January 30, 2010 at 11:58 AM

He’s lost Obama girl’s support, and I think she symbolizes the average first time voter who’s basically apolitical or moderately lefty without much thought. They are finally realizing what a phoney Obama is.

Disturb the Universe on January 30, 2010 at 10:50 AM

But will she still vote for him in 2012? I think the answer is yes. She may not be head over heals in love anymore with The O, but I can’t see her voting for the ‘Pub either.

angryed on January 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Republicans eye high-profile US Senate races

OmahaConservative on January 30, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Now we know why we never saw his grades from that little liberal arts school up Chuck River.

Done That on January 30, 2010 at 12:02 PM

kscheuller on January 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM

You’re welcome. And my thought whenever I hear Obama (or some Obama acolyte) say, “Let me be clear,” is “Let me be opaque.”

I think conservatives and independents are banding together in the same belief.

BuckeyeSam on January 30, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Anyone think that next year he’s going to get another Nobel Prize, this time for economics?

b3026 on January 30, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I suspect Democratic approval had more to do with the gratifying spectacle of the Prez chastising Republicans and the Supreme Court than actual job approval per se.

JM Hanes on January 30, 2010 at 12:11 PM

f.w.i.w., Scott Rasmussen was on Fox yesterday and he said that the polling took place over a number of days, some before the SOTU speech, some after…

Buy Danish on January 30, 2010 at 12:16 PM

NO Hope ‘n Change

Schadenfreude on January 30, 2010 at 12:17 PM

and I’m sitting there wondering…why?

capejasmine on January 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Ever since Obama granted an interview with O’Reilly, Bill treats him with kid gloves. He has bent over backwards so far to give the appearance of being fair that he sounds like Katie Couric when it comes to Obama. Maybe there was some sort of Chicago deal associated with the interview. Hmmmm….

Christian Conservative on January 30, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Christian Conservative on January 30, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Agreed. O’Reilly had no problem laying blame at Bush’s feet, but when it comes to Obama, even if we know it’s factually true, he’ll pass the buck, much like Obama does. I don’t know why, but it’s gotten to the point, where I don’t want to watch anymore, because I don’t think he’s being fair. Obama is culpable for some of these things, and when the host is just passing it off onto others as he is….I’m done. O’Reilly may as well go to work for MSNBC at this point.

capejasmine on January 30, 2010 at 12:26 PM

capejasmine on January 30, 2010 at 12:26 PM

O’Reilly is a Dem no matter what he tries to say. I no longer watch him because his bias shines through however subtly. Watching him interview conservatives and then watching him with Marc Lamont Hill is all one has to do to see which way he really leans. He cuts off conservatives when they begin to answer one of his questions in a way that he doesn’t like, but only interupts libs when they are beginning to make fools of themselves. So he interupts his guest in a seemingly fair and balanced way.

thomasaur on January 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I think when you suffer from a credibility gap, it is important that you not contradict yourself when giving a speech of this importance.

The average attentive viewer could easily see Obama would either contradict himself factually or put on contradictory airs. Criticizing Republicans for not being part of HC reform when they were shut out of the process while calling for an end to politicizing really got my ire up.

Same goes for misrepresenting the SC case.

Then there were other factual missteps, like saying the AGW science is settled after a year when it has come under the closest scrutiny yet. Or claiming the economy is recovering when unemployment is over 10%.

He comes off as supremely misinformed/out-of-touch at best.

StubbleSpark on January 30, 2010 at 12:51 PM

capejasmine on January 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I quit watching BOR last year. I don’t like how he cuts people off before they get a chance to finish answering a question. That’s just plain rude where I come from.

Anyway, my point – the missus and I swear he has crush on Obama. He gets all dreamy-eyed and defensive any time the prez is criticized, which is pretty much all the time. My border collie gets that same dreamy-eyed look when I scratch her ears.

Proud Texan on January 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Dims….willfully self-delusional

notagool on January 30, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Sociopath!

DavidAllen on January 30, 2010 at 1:04 PM

This guy and his administration are nothing more than parasites! They need to be treated as enemies of state and a national threat to this country!

xler8bmw on January 30, 2010 at 1:07 PM

He actually said, “I thought I would get applause for that”?
kscheuller on January 30, 2010 at 11:11 AM

He actually said it, during the speech.
RushBaby on January 30, 2010 at 11:40 AM

He also said: “Take my wife. Please! No, ha, ha. Listen you’ve be a great crowd. I’m here every Saturday night. Try the veal. I hear it’s great. Good night. God Bless. And remember, wherever you go tonight, there you are! Ha, ha. Ba da bing!”

Rod on January 30, 2010 at 1:13 PM

The man is either completely delusional or he has another plan that he is keeping close to himself. It’s either one or the other. Neither are very good.

JellyToast on January 30, 2010 at 1:20 PM

“You won’t have Barry Obooba to kick around anymore,” -Barack Hussein Obooba, eventually.

Akzed on January 30, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Is he going to take Sarah’s advice on ksm trial? She’s in his head, along with Rush. Must be lots of empty space there.

Kissmygrits on January 30, 2010 at 10:56 AM

You forgot Scott Brown, and Dick Cheney.

It’s filling up quick!

massrighty on January 30, 2010 at 1:29 PM

BTW, in his harangue yesterday to the Republicans, 0 cribbed a line straight from President Andrew Shepherd in The American President. Not the first time he’s done this either.

rockmom on January 30, 2010 at 1:39 PM

JellyToast on January 30, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I’m going with delusional. His plan has already been blown up and what’s left of it can’t pass now without 60 votes in the Senate.

rockmom on January 30, 2010 at 1:41 PM

I’d vote for the delusional Won, however, he’s such an idealogue, although his claims to the contrary. He really believes in what he’s doing. Remember you can’t argue with a liberal or an idiot. I know, it’s the same thing. Moving along to college football, Pelosi’s saying ‘wha’s that’.

Kissmygrits on January 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM

capejasmine on January 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

More interviews with Obooby.

fogw on January 30, 2010 at 2:40 PM

The president salutes the GOP, yesterday, again.

Schadenfreude on January 30, 2010 at 2:44 PM

The guy who wasted $160 million in the Chicago Annenberg Challenge.. BuckeyeSam on January 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Thanks for the reminder. Too many don’t know about the Annenberg Challenge fiasco, in which Obama helped to squander millions on radical pet causes. His one executive role, a complete bust.

rrpjr on January 30, 2010 at 2:55 PM

“It’s not my fault, and please ignore your lying eyes.”

But Obama has another priority – namely, passing a new health-care entitlement. He attributed its difficulties to his failure to explain it “more clearly.” The real problem is that he can’t explain it more honestly.

Liar, liar, liar. He’ll never be trusted again. The people feel fooled and are fully awaken.

Schadenfreude on January 30, 2010 at 3:00 PM

angryed on January 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM

True, but only if she makes it to the polls. Obama Girl and people like her are probably not going to turn out in the same numbers in 2012 (or 2010, obviously) as they did in 2008.

Missy on January 30, 2010 at 3:01 PM

The hustler running out of cons?

bayview on January 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM

The largest tax paid is the tax paid by someone laid off due to ObamaNomics. That tax runs up to about 100%. Most of those types of taxes are paid by folks making less than 200,000 dollars before they lost their jobs. Don\’t look for that in the stats.

stefano1 on January 30, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Advice to Bambi: Please put a bag over Nancy Pelosi’s head in your next State of the Union speech. It’s as bad as looking at Osama Bin Laden…

Travis1 on January 30, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Obama be stunting now. My guess is it’s going to be harder and harder for him to play the blame game. He tried playing the global warming card and, I do believe, there was more laughter than applause. Things are getting so bad even the LSM is having a hard time covering up for it.

Yesterday, he tried the, “Meet with Repubicans stunt” in Baltimore. Brought in the cameras so he could do a little editing and had a little back and forth with the opposition. The problem, if you listened to him, was he still takes little responsibility for his first year in office. Can anyone, anyone, show me who, in the White House, would encourgage the president to play fair? I can’t imagine Axelrod or Rahm Emanuel doing that.

If he wants to keep this up, it looks like 2010 is going to be an easy year for Republicans. Even the LSM is being cautious about how much they cover up for him, there are just too many fact checking outlets out there happily exposing their mis-reporting.

bflat879 on January 30, 2010 at 4:08 PM

“0″bama is not afraid of LYING … he still thinks he is in Illinois, where he got away with it. But now even leftwing rags have begun to wonder about him. I hope he does not stop LYING !!!

aniladesai on January 30, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Before his speech, only 50% of Democrats strongly approved of Obama; in the two polling cycles after SOTU for Rasmussen’s daily tracking poll, that number increased to 65%. However, Rasmussen reports that the approval ratings of Republicans and independents didn’t change at all, which may indicate that Obama has done little to appeal to the center with this effort.

And I bet that in a couple of weeks it will be right back to 50%. The Democrats polled were just feeling pumped by all the lying, finger pointing, blaming, and posturing their dear leader was doing. That will fade with time.

Terrye on January 30, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Folks it is going to boil down to one word..JOBS. As long as Obie’s answer to this word is “High Speed Rail” and “Green Jobs” He will continue to sink like a stone. “High Speed Rail”! Good Lord has this loon ever heard of Amtak and what a debacle it has become.

Dire Straits on January 30, 2010 at 5:11 PM

capejasmine on January 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I really believe they have something on him… The thing is that just enough of everybody can live with his BS to the point he is always number 1 so it’s working for him…

CCRWM on January 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Disturb the Universe on January 30, 2010 at 10:50 AM

angryed on January 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM

“Fortunately” that’s not needed – all that’s needed to shift the outcome of the election is for her and her homies to stay home on Election Day.

Basically, what Missy suggested. :-)

RD on January 30, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Let me be clear = let me lie with a straight face.

Dhuka on January 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM

unfortunately
there is a lot of time left for him to improve his standing

blatantblue on January 30, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I don’t believe time has anything to do with it – 0bamessiah could be given an eternity, and he still wouldn’t be able to figure out how to improve his standing. Excessive pride is funny like that!

Bizarro No. 1 on January 30, 2010 at 5:45 PM

This is choice. WSJ cites “The Hill” with another of Pelosi’s delusions…and has some fun with the O’Keefe story at the same time, especially since most of the major media have had to retract many of the claims against O’Keefe.

The Associated Press, however, reports that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says she will do whatever it takes to impose ObamaCare on America:

“We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in,” Pelosi said. “But we are going to get health care reform passed for the American people.”

If the parachute doesn’t open, maybe they can get in by pretending to be phone-company workers.

Can we call Madame Speaker Nancy Imposi?

onlineanalyst on January 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Most of us Conservatives DO think he’s a Bolshevik. The only problem is his followers now view him as a Menshevik.

abobo on January 30, 2010 at 10:39 AM

I think that he is following the Chavez model of socialism/communism myself.

onlineanalyst on January 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM

I think that he is following the Chavez model of socialism/communism myself.

onlineanalyst on January 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM

To parody an old automotive ad: “See the USA…in the Chavez way…”

onlineanalyst on January 30, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Obama must already think that the Republicans will take control in the mid-term election. That is why he is finally talking to the party.

Highplains on January 30, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Highplains on January 30, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Obama is only pretending to talk to the Republicans. What he is actually doing is talking at them.

Read the fine print and notice that he has at no time given the slightest consideration to any thought or idea originating from a Republican…or even a “moderate” Democrat.

landlines on January 30, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I was polled by this Rasmussen pull around 5 pm the day of the SOTU address. So my answers are part of the baseline data that came in prior to the address.

The Obama girl told Hannity on his show that she probably won’t vote for obama again in 2012. She asked who will be her other choices, but then said, it didn’t matter, she wasn’t going to vote for him again.

I think O’Reilly has his head up O’s ass because he is fawning for another interview. Pathetic.

karenhasfreedom on January 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM

BOR is exactly like BHO- They are both Narcissist. They are never wrong – in their own mind. GlenBeck may look and sound GOOFY but he is very intelligent, He knows what he is doing. GRETA is GREAT. Very practical and talks for US.

BOR – Wants to keep OBAMA happy and wants to earn his interview all the time so he can brag about it. He puts Hannity down, He really berates GLEN BECK on his show, but great thing is Glen knows it and he plays with BOR like CAT plays with its Catch the MOUSE before she eats it. When BOR tries to argues with Mr. Gingrich and The ” ARCHITECT” Mr. ROVE he looks totally Foolish!!

These are my observations and Mine only!! and as MR. BOR will ask ” AM I WRONG???!!!”

deeshant48 on January 30, 2010 at 11:15 PM

BHO talking to Republicans is a ” UNMITIGATED PR STUNT” This a total phony and I call it a ” PLUFFERY” INVENTED BY Obama’s PSEUDO ARCHITECT MR. PLUFFER??. I hope and pray that Rebublicans do not fall for it. This Mr. Pluffer’s and Obama’s ” Alinski – Lesson # 1 – “.Identify the target” Ultimate Goal is to Neutralize the target in time before NOV 2010 election – make them look ” Prove Republican the party of “NO” AND “OBSTRUCTIONIST” IN the eyes of the people by showing look how hard BHO is tryng for “BIPARTISIONSHIP” AND BENDING OVER BACKWARD TO GET THEIR i.e. REPUBLICANS SUPPORT” This is all PHONEY BALONEY – “Listen, GOP – DO NOT FALL FOR IT. -LOOK OUT, IT IS A TRAP AND NOTHING ELSE.”

deeshant48 on January 30, 2010 at 11:37 PM

O/T TV’s Andy Levy just admitted he’s AP! I knew it!!!

margategop517 on January 31, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Awesome. Barry’s is a one-termer.

TN Mom on January 31, 2010 at 3:01 AM

“Dead Cat Bounce” defined.

SuperCool on January 31, 2010 at 3:25 AM

Tonight we saw Bill O’Reilly and Glenn Beck’s show “Bold Fresh Tour” at a theatre here in Las Vegas. It was great and eye opening because BOR thinks very much like Glenn. BOR didn’t go soft on Obama. See one of those shows sometime soon. We are all wiser because of Glenn asking the questions and opening our eyes to what is happening in America. What was started in Massachusetts will hopefully be a tsunami across the country in November. I for one will be very proud to vote Harry (the war is lost) Reid OUT.

KCinLV on January 31, 2010 at 3:28 AM

Obama’s legacy: GRIFTER. Plain and simple.

Cybergeezer on January 31, 2010 at 9:06 AM