Scott Brown: Romney’s much cooler now than he used to be

posted at 8:25 pm on January 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

Thus prompting the question: How uncool did he used to be?

He’s changed, he’s changed. You know, he’s actually — before he was an outsider coming in and he was, you know, kind of, you know, stiff. But he’s actually, like, funny, he’s like — when he was at my events he was cracking jokes, when we were on the bus — I was like, who is this guy? He’s really kind of, I think, settled into his role kind of being the elder statesman of the party and everything he went through as president. It’s kind of, and once again it’s my opinion but he’s really a different guy than I knew when he was here, and I certainly appreciate everything he did for me. And it wasn’t a lot, he was just there as the initial — you know, ‘here’s a check, go get em!’ And that says a lot, you know, when I signed my contract with the team, you know — I worried about, how am I gonna pay for this? And he was one of the first guys that helped me towards that obligation. And I remember those people who took a chance.

Not only did Mitt help bankroll him, but a lot of the Brown campaign staff overlaps with the Romney campaign staff. Meanwhile, a new PPP poll shows Palin’s favorables down to 47/45 — in Alaska. Via the Right Scoop, here are KP and Krauthammer from tonight’s “Special Report” both listing Mitt as the man to beat on the Republican side. Exit question: If ObamaCare goes down and Mitt pledges, as he can and must, that he’d never support a RomneyCare program for the entire United States, is it time for a second look at Romney?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

james23, good luck with your political fantasies. Huckabee = 4 more years of Obama. Palin = 4 more years of Obama. Some obscure conservative in 2012 = 4 more years of Obama. There is Romney, who is probably 75-85% of your liking, and there is a set of Republican dwarfs.

I wish you well.

ParisParamus on January 29, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Romney exercised his state-level line-item veto power 844 times. But Romney doesn’t note that more than 700 of those vetoes were overridden by the overwhelmingly Democratic-controlled Legislature.

Lines like this are used to deride what a right wing lunatic Romney is. How can so many here even come up with the idea that Romney was anything but a besieged warrior for concervatism. I’m still amazed at this foolishness 2 years after that election. Beacon hill was like the Alamo. Someone wishy washy like Huckabee who just happens to give lip serve to all the correct social positons would have been crushed and totally ineffective in the same position.

Resolute on January 29, 2010 at 10:06 PM

That’s why we need reform. We need to roll the entitlements back, and tighten our belts. We need to take a lot of bitter pills if we want to save ourselves from this socialist cancer that’s eating away at the body politic.

atheling on January 29, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I know deep down you really don’t believe this can be stopped.

wheelgun on January 29, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Americas external debt is its biggest long term problem. How is it going to be payed down?

Crux Australis on January 29, 2010 at 9:42 PM

By strong leadership in the White House, unleashing the American people to do what they have every ability to accomplish.And as far as i’m concearned that would be Sarah Palin.

heshtesh on January 29, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I wish you well.

ParisParamus on January 29, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I respect your enthusiasm for Romney, but your clueless.

wheelgun on January 29, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Oh, you mean the same PPP outfit that had Hoffman winning NY23 by 20 percentage points?

That PPP?

And why doesn’t this top-notch polling outfit poll Romney in MA? He’d probably be thrilled to be 47/45.

And I’m scratching my head as to why this top-notch polling firm is polling a private citizen anyway?

Why aren’t they polling Huckabee, who they’ve been propping up for several months now – their latest even showing that he beats BO.

Which Allah tore a ligament in his haste to get that bit of PPP buffoonery posted here.

hrh40 on January 29, 2010 at 10:11 PM

ParisParamus on January 29, 2010 at 10:05 PM

If you didn’t read exactly like every other establishment GOP pundit for the last 6 years, you might have a shot. Romney is another Whig stiff, just like the last few. Enough already.

james23 on January 29, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Wheelgun, and you support who at this point?

ParisParamus on January 29, 2010 at 10:14 PM

I know deep down you really don’t believe this can be stopped.

wheelgun on January 29, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Lol, nice try, moby.

atheling on January 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Look, both Huckabee and Palin might, MIGHT have a chance to win the GOP nomination; a remote chance, but still a chance. NEITHER has ANY chance of getting to the White House in 2012 (except, perhaps as a visitor).

Maybe there’s some outsider who emerges, but it’s the outside, Romney, or Obama until 2016. DEAL WITH IT.

ParisParamus on January 29, 2010 at 10:21 PM

I see the new troll has a quite the sexist streak.

thevastlane on January 29, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I see the new troll has a quite the sexist streak.

thevastlane on January 29, 2010 at 10:25 PM

thevastlane on January 29, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Scott Brown = Mitt Romney’s Mini Me.

And if Romney is so freakin awesome like the punditocracy claims then why is it that he has largely been MIA in regard to publicly taking on Obama and his progressive agenda? I mean the only Leader in the GOP that I see regularly going after Obama with a big stick and getting results is Sarah Palin.

Besides all this talk from the pundits about Romney being their preference for 2012 just confirms the meme that Romney is going to be the establishment candidate, and I suppose Id rather see him get the nomination then another McCain clone.

Hellrider on January 29, 2010 at 10:26 PM

thevastlane on January 29, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Yup. I noticed too.

atheling on January 29, 2010 at 10:29 PM

The winner of the republican primary will be the next president no matter who it is. This country will be in a full blown depression by then.

wheelgun on January 29, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Palin will not run in 2012
csdeven on January 29, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I disagree. She’s running.

rrpjr on January 29, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I honestly don’t think she’s decided yet. I think she’s aware of the potential negatives, and has decided to first get involved in the 2010 election and try to influence the composition of Congress. After that, and after seeing how successful she is, she’ll be able to decide if 2012 is the year or not.

But she is definitely keeping her options open.

There Goes The Neighborhood on January 29, 2010 at 10:32 PM

OK ParisP, where’s your guy been for the last year or so? People who’ve been busting their ass to defeat *Romneycare* on the national level want to know where your guy has been? Mitt Romneycare had better have a dam good excuse, or people are within their rights to draw an adverse inference.

james23 on January 29, 2010 at 10:36 PM

James23, since no one, with the possible exception of Sarah Palin, has had a higher profile in the media for conservative causes than Romne, and a more prominent critic of Obama and Congress; and no one has helped Republicans running for office more, please tell me why I should not assume you are a troll?

ParisParamus on January 29, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Of course. Romney’s probably the GOP’s best shot at winning in 2012.

Sorry, Palin fans. I know you love her, and that’s good and all, but I don’t know how many times independents like me (or Allah) have to keep telling you that we just DO. NOT. WANT. HER. We could get on board with you for Romney, but not her.

Vyce on January 29, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Romney is the man. Don’t agree with him on everything. But he’s hella smart, and a da mn good executive.

therightwinger on January 29, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Of course. Romney’s probably the GOP’s best shot at winning in 2012.

What makes you think we need you, do you speak for all independents.

wheelgun on January 29, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Sorry, Palin fans. I know you love her…

Moreover, I LOVE HER. But so what? She can’t win, at least not in 2012, not President.

ParisParamus on January 29, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Meanwhile…back in the REAL WORLD;

Sarah Palin Drops The Hammer: “President Obama You Have A Credibility Gap”

Zogby: Sarah Palin Front Runner For 2012 GOP Nomination

Sarah Palin Leads Latest Iowa 2012 Republican Presidential Polling

Sarah Palin: Stay Focused People! Moving The Terror Trial Doesn’t Fix The Problem

gary4205 on January 29, 2010 at 10:14 PM

So so true Gary!

I love Sarah Palin…she is always one step ahead of Obama!

CCRWM on January 29, 2010 at 10:48 PM

The answer is yes Allahpundit.

It is time to look at Romney again.

scotash on January 29, 2010 at 10:48 PM

I’m getting a little tired of Scott…he’s gotten way ahead of himself…

CCRWM on January 29, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Sorry, Palin fans. I know you love her…

ParisParamus on January 29, 2010 at 10:47 PM

There can be miracles when you believe.

Narutoboy on January 29, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Intellectual depth is gravy.

She is a LEADER.

Mitt is a CEO.

Obama is a child.

Sapwolf on January 29, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Very well said sir, very well said….

BTW:

Sarah’s natural gas pipeline just got a little closer to reality:

By ELIZABETH BLUEMINK
ebluemink@adn.com

(01/29/10 12:22:56)

TransCanada Corp. today filed a detailed plan for holding an open season this summer to seek commitments from potential shippers to supply gas for the proposed North Slope pipeline.

The Canadian pipeline giant filed its plan, which comprises hundreds of pages, with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. The plan, requiring FERC approval, includes a proposal to deliver the North Slope gas to a pipeline hub in Alberta, Canada, or at the Alberta-British Columbia border, and an alternative proposal to pipe the gas to a liquefied natural-gas terminal in Valdez, where it could be exported by tankers.

In its filing today, TransCanada estimated the cost of building the Alaska-Canada project at $32 billion to $41 billion and the Valdez project at $20 billion to $26 billion. Either project could start delivering gas by 2020 and be fully in service by 2021, according to the filings.

TransCanada is pursing the pipeline project with ExxonMobil Corp., a major holder of gas leases on the Slope. TransCanada holds a state license granted by the former Palin administration to develop the pipeline, entitling it and Exxon to receive up to $500 million in incentives from the state government for their spending to advance the pipeline.

Two other North Slope heavyweights, BP and Conoco Phillips, are pursuing a competing North Slope pipeline project called Denali. They also plan to hold an open season to seek gas commitments, right after TransCanada’s.

TransCanada said its proposed open season will run a minimum of 90 days and is expected to close July 30.

The open season for the Denali project would begin in July and also run for 90 days, according to its project leaders.

Gov. Sean Parnell and Sen. Mark Begich, D-Alaska, both said Monday morning they are pleased that the TransCanada project is progressing.

This is a breaking news story. Check back later for updates.

gary4205 on January 29, 2010 at 10:59 PM

What makes you think we need you, do you speak for all independents.

wheelgun on January 29, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Because you DO need us. How do you think things like Scott Brown winning happen? There aren’t enough Democrats OR Republicans out there to individually get their candidate elected in most elections, let alone trying to get their candidated elected President; independents need to be courted.

Vyce on January 29, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Elections are won when you have a conservative with true core beliefs, who lives those beliefs. Not by courting anyone.

wheelgun on January 29, 2010 at 11:06 PM

wheelgun on January 29, 2010 at 10:30 PM

And this is precisely the reason why it is time for the conservative wing to dominate the GOP.

Saltysam on January 29, 2010 at 11:09 PM

So so true Gary!

I love Sarah Palin…she is always one step ahead of Obama!

CCRWM on January 29, 2010 at 10:48 PM

She’s going to be the next President.

You think she’s ripped into Obama? Wait ’till she hammers this idiot Romney over RomneyCare! Or Huckabee for, well…being Huckabee.

All folks have to do is go back and look at the 2006 gubernatorial debates in Alaska. She destroyed two crusty old Republicans, including the sitting Governor, and then wore the democrat, a popular former Governor out.

You know, I was neutral on the Fox News gig until this week. Seeing her slice and dice….Oh man.

Romney, Huckabee, et;al should just save the effort. She’s running, and she will be the next President. That’s etched in stone!

gary4205 on January 29, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Vyce on January 29, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Well good thing there are more of us than there are of you. And Sarah has been winning over the independents who are actually independent, you know, instead of you beta boys who are scared of a strong woman.

atheling on January 29, 2010 at 11:11 PM

How do you think things like Scott Brown winning happen?

Vyce on January 29, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Because conservatives around the country got involved with money and time. Conservatives drove that election home.

Saltysam on January 29, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Who said

I love Sarah, but I am concerned she cannot win. But Romneycare can.

Romneycare’s HA spokesman, that’s who.

OK Romneytroll, where’s your guy been for the last year or so? People who’ve been busting their ass to defeat *Romneycare* on the national level want to know where your guy has been? Doesn’t the author of Romneycare have an obligation to speak up against it, if he now opposes it? Afraid he will be blamed for Obamacare? Your guy is a fraud, and a coward.

Answer Romneytroll?

james23 on January 29, 2010 at 11:14 PM

How do you think things like Scott Brown winning happen?

Vyce on January 29, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Saltysam on January 29, 2010 at 11:13 PM

And now Mitt Romneycare and his Whig mouthpieces intend to push you aside. Remember: Mitt Romneycare didn’t invent Romneycare; and conservatives didn’t defeat Romneycare, either. Mittens did. You can go ahead and send him money now. He’ll take it from here.

james23 on January 29, 2010 at 11:18 PM

How do you think things like Scott Brown winning happen?

Vyce on January 29, 2010 at 11:01 PM

…and I’ll add, two lines that were very Palinesque.

1: “Hi, I’m Scott Brown, I’m from Waltham. I drive a truck and I;m asking for your vote.”

2: “With all due respect, it’s not Kennedy’s seat. It’s not the Democrats seat. It’s the people’s seat.”

After that, all the Palin fans opened their checkbooks.

Saltysam on January 29, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Willard Romney “Authentic Man of the People</em>”

Mitt Romney – Who Let the Dogs Out?

gary4205 on January 29, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Vyce on January 29, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Before you get excited lets see you get him thru a primary first.

heshtesh on January 29, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Krauthammer uses some strange logic in his reasons for picking Romney. He thinks we need a candidate with no charisma to go against a charasmatic President? Is that all he can come up with?

takeamericabackin10 on January 29, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Vyce on January 29, 2010 at 10:45 PM

So you’ll take Obama over Sarah Palin? Really? Because how many times do conservatives like me have to keep telling you that we just DO. NOT. WANT. ROMNEYCARE. AND. HIS. 50. DOLLAR. ABORTION. PLAN?

You think we can’t do it without you ‘independents’? Well try to do it without us Conservatives.

And you know, like I don’t like to be, you know, critical over you know like petty stuff, but I’m like, Scott Brown sounds like he could you know, use like a teleprompter, you know?

>.<

/crankiness

pannw on January 29, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Vyce on January 29, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Thanks for you independant opinion,but i’m thinking thiers probably a lot more independent opinions out there than yours.

heshtesh on January 29, 2010 at 11:34 PM

If you think Romney’s “lack of charisma” will be a liability in 2012, you are clueless. Charisma in 2012 will be a liability, because Obama has, or had it. You will want nuts and bolts competence, sobriety, private sector orientation, and maybe some cred re privatizing GM.

ParisParamus on January 29, 2010 at 11:36 PM

private sector orientation

snort! Romneycare

james23 on January 29, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Charisma in 2012 will be a liability, because Obama has, or had it.

ParisParamus on January 29, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Charisma is never a liability. In this day and age, it’s essential.

ddrintn on January 29, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Romeny was my choice in 2008 and I think the would have done a heck of a lot better than Obama, but it’s kind of early to lock in on a candidate, but willing to give Romney another look in 2012. Mormon belief doesn’t bother me. Having to work with Dems in Massachusetts doesn’t either. Rush and Hannity liked him too in 2008. Who would be my dark horse? How about Thune of South Dakota?

WyoMike on January 29, 2010 at 11:55 PM

wheelgun on January 29, 2010 at 10:30 PM

I disagree. I thought the same thing in 1996. “There’s NO WAY the country will vote for Clinton again!” Nominate another vanilla candidate who doesn’t provide the needed contrast, and Obama’s in again.

ddrintn on January 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Its so funny how people here speak of Romneycare in some deragatory form. We the citizens of Massachusetts are pretty pleased with our healthcare plan. We also voted in Scott Brown to stop Obamacare, which hurt our plan.

SED on January 29, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Meanwhile…back in the REAL WORLD;

Zogby: Sarah Palin Front Runner For 2012 GOP Nomination

gary4205 on January 29, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Real world and “Senator Coakley” Zogby are contradiction in terms.

bayview on January 30, 2010 at 12:16 AM

I dread the dirt that will be thrown at my religion as soon as… well probably now… I haven’t read all the pages… I wish there was someone else.

I don’t think the country or the Republican Party deserves Romney. He is entirely too well prepared and experienced and all they can do is sling dirt. Or at least that is how 2008 felt. I wish he could just give advice behind the scenes out of the spot light. That is always a safer place for us.

Come on Romney–let someone else get the glory! Just provide the smarts. If you get the credit it really isn’t service anyway. You want to serve so do it behind the scenes dont’ rock the boat there’s too many who hate us.

petunia on January 30, 2010 at 12:19 AM

petunia on January 30, 2010 at 12:19 AM

As if Palin’s evangelicalism came away unscathed. Give me a break.

ddrintn on January 30, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Vyce on January 29, 2010 at 11:01 PM

That is the thing that galls me about independents – “that they have to be courted”. You either have core beliefs or you don’t. These people that are always in the Luntz poll a week before an election and still haven’t decided who they are going to vote for, when one is an obvious communist and the other one isn’t, irritate me. I think they do it for the attention.

silvernana on January 30, 2010 at 1:33 AM

I know deep down you really don’t believe this can be stopped.

wheelgun on January 29, 2010 at 10:07 PM

It can be stopped, but are the people of the US up for the FIGHT? My bet is they are too comfortable and unwilling to risk their 3 bed/2 bath house, 2 kids and their two cars, their big screen tv. Most would rather become slaves. The people who paid for our freedom in blood are rolling over in their graves.

jwp1964 on January 30, 2010 at 1:40 AM

Palin can win if she puts the Reagan coalition back together: conservative Republicans, independent conservatives, fiscal conservatives, national security conservatives, pro-life movement, PUMA’s, evangelicals, gun owners,and Reagan conservatives.

technopeasant on January 30, 2010 at 2:00 AM

I have been very impressed with Romney for a long while now. I don’t get it when some say “Where has he been?” during the last little while… Huh? He’s everywhere! He’s been campaigning for conservative candidates across the nation.

I am a regular at many Mitt Romney fan sites. He is doing much for the Conservative movement. In my opinion, he is a financial genius and I truly hope that he does run in 2012!! He’s definitely got my vote if he does.

I would vote for the following tickets:

Romney/Liz Cheney
Romney/Michelle Bachman
Romney/ Mike Pence
Romney/John Boehner

GO ROMNEY 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snicker_Snort on January 30, 2010 at 2:11 AM

I would vote for the following tickets:

Romney/Liz Cheney
Romney/Michelle Bachman
Romney/ Mike Pence
Romney/John Boehner

GO ROMNEY 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snicker_Snort on January 30, 2010 at 2:11 AM

You sure picked the right screen name, because reading your post I snickered, then snorted.

Mitt has been hiding under his desk hoping no one asks he about RomneyCare!

There’s only been one person out there layin’ it on the line every day, and that’s Sarah Palin.

She’s the only one in the country that has any balls.

And Romney “financial genius” really. REALLY. REALLY?

mmmm mmmm mmmm

gary4205 on January 30, 2010 at 2:23 AM

gary4205 on January 30, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Oh gosh, he’s (Romney) been everywhere!! The only place you see Palin is on FOX. (Not slamming her for that, by the way… I think she does a great job). That’s all fine and good but Romney is on CNN a lot. He was also on GMA the other morning. Our conservative voices need to get on the more liberal media outlets as often as possible. When they’re on FOX time and time again, they are just preaching to the choir. Not completely… I know there are plenty of Independents that watch FOX too. But I still believe it’s good to get on other media outlets as much as possible!

I really like Palin. I mean I think she’s a great Conservative and will likely help many conservative Repubs get elected this year. I have no problem with her being president eventually but not in 2012. Down the road a little more maybe. I’d even be fine with a Romney/Palin ticket! I’d vote for that!

As far as who is “layin’ it on the line every day” as you suggested. Here’s my theory… depends who you’re a big fan and supporter of. I’m a huge Romney fan so I can visit many Romney sites and news sites and see just how often he is out there and where. He writes op eds often too. It all depends what and who you are searching for.

I’m sure since you’re a Palin fan then you follow her sites and facebook pages perhaps and you “see her layin’ it on the line”. Same goes for anyone else’s fave candidates.

K, now go ahead and slam me away. Doesn’t bother me. I was very nice to you and will continue to be. And as for your question about my REALLY thinking Romney is a financial genius??? My answer is YES!!! ABSOLUTELY!!! Yes, I do.

We need someone to beat Obama in ’12 and I believe Romney is the man that can do it. *Yawn* I’m off to bed now. G’night everyone!!!

Snicker_Snort on January 30, 2010 at 2:39 AM

Yawn…

Romney will never be the nominee, no matter how hard the MSM elites & the GOP Establishment push him.

Norwegian on January 30, 2010 at 2:54 AM

instead of you beta boys who are scared of a strong woman.

atheling on January 29, 2010 at 11:11 PM

I’m a strong woman, and I don’t want her. She is a tremendous asset to conservative punditry, but the masses will NEVER accept her.

anniekc on January 30, 2010 at 8:05 AM

Late to the thread, but just for the record Romney never intended the Mass program to be a federal program, and always stressed that each state had to come up with a program which fit their needs, so this is not a flip flop.

The successes and failures of the Mass plan can give guidance to other states (as Mitt has said, the states are “laboratories for ideas”), and the Feds can do things to facilitate the states in their desire to set up a state program, but he has always opposed a federally run health care bureaucracy.

Buy Danish on January 30, 2010 at 8:23 AM

The Democrats & media pushed McCain in the Presidential election. Look what happened there. Now Kirsten Powers backing Mitt Romney. He may have been on my list of prospects. Maybe not so much now.

kitkat-n.c. on January 30, 2010 at 8:52 AM

I voted for Romney. I would vote for him again. He understands what is necessary to support a robust economy and real employment. Plus he is actually intelligent, unlike the many mental midgets on both sides of the aisle running DC the last decade. Hopefully someone with similar capabilities and intelligence will be the GOP nominee in 2012. Perhaps after 2010 elections we will see some real contenders.

ray on January 30, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Romney simply isn’t interesting to me, as a voter.

If he gains insider support, OK.

But he’s the insider guy to me.

AnninCA on January 30, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Don’t have time to respond to all the idiotic comments, so I’ll stick with this one since it says it all:

The guy is a gutless wonder. Abortion… against, for, against. ObamaCare is nothing more than RomneyCare recycled. If he’s such a champion of free markets how in the hell did he not veto that abortion, let alone be the guy who created it?

Romney is the Republican version of Edwards, $400 haircuts, $100K glow in the dark smile and a Hindenburg sized ego. If he’s nominated he’ll go down in flames, just like the zeppelin. Bank on it.
Archimedes on January 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM

1. What is it about a State program versus a Federal program that you and others fail to comprehend? Conservatives are for States rights. States have the right to enact legislation like this. States have the right to amend, or repeal it if they don’t like it at some point. This has nothing to do with ObamaCare or any federal program.

2. So, a guy who doesn’t even drink freaking coffee or tea is like the phony, philandering Edwards and will implode like the Hindenberg? What could the scandal be? A dust mote found under his bed? You hate him because he has nice hair and has been a successful businessman and is an evil rich guy? This criticism is based on conservative principles.

Buy Danish on January 30, 2010 at 10:05 AM

ParisParamus on January 29, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Huh? Charisma will be a liability…because Obama has it? Are you a plant or something? In the words of Doc Brown, “No wonder your president has to be an actor, he’s got to look good on television.”

I can see the Tea Partiers now, “Charisma? Charisma? WE DON’T NEED NO STINKING CHARISMA!”

Goldenavatar on January 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Romney is an anachronism — an inteligent and talented man unsuited to his times.

To think that this conservative base, at this moment in history, after what it has seen and suffered through from the Left and from a complaisant GOP establishment in the past 10 years, will choose Mitt Romney, is, I think, to seriously misread our times.

rrpjr on January 30, 2010 at 10:22 AM

rrpjr on January 30, 2010 at 10:22 AM

What principles does Romney hold that are “unsuited to this time” and “anachronistic”?

Buy Danish on January 30, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Buy Danish on January 30, 2010 at 10:32 AM

I don’t think Romney’s “anachronistic” at all, but I do think his fatal problem is that he doesn’t have support from the “base”. Minimizing the “base” or pretending that it doesn’t exist won’t make that problem go away, either.

ddrintn on January 30, 2010 at 10:38 AM

ddrintn on January 30, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I’m part of the “base” and at this point in time (or looking forward to 2012 to be precise) I support Mitt over Palin or Huck. I’m sure I’m not alone. Moreover, as Scott Brown demonstrated, you have to have independents to win elections. That is not to say that we have to support someone like McCain who betrayed us on ANWR and campaign finance reform.

Buy Danish on January 30, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Mitt was my pick for the ‘08 elections. What his dissenters don’t understand is, a business person or an executive leader has to have an understanding of how to actually “run” things, unlike someone we know who never ran anything. Lack of experience shows up immediately in any job. He’s presidential looking has a quiet charisma. Romneycare and his religion shouldn’t hurt him. Massachusetts residents do appear to like their healthcare in spite of its shortfalls. I love Palin but I don’t think she wants to run for anything at the moment. We’ll see how her stint as a political commentator on Fox goes.

Nalea on January 30, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Flip Romney couldn’t even win the 2008 nomination against a weak field. What makes his supporters think he’ll do better in 2012 now that Obama most certainly is a lame duck?

RedRobin145 on January 30, 2010 at 11:38 AM

anniekc on January 30, 2010 at 8:05 AM

So you don’t want her because the “masses will never accept her”? You are hardly a “strong woman” because you’re no independent thinker. What is it with women and the herd mentality?

atheling on January 30, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Jenny Sanford will be a great candidate to primary Lindsey Graham. I believe she will do it.

SouthernGent on January 30, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Buy Danish on January 30, 2010 at 10:32 AM

As to why he is an “anachronism,” he represents to me the composite of the stylistic and characteristic elements of the classic Republican “virtuous politician” — but such as people or the body politic (on the Right and on the Left) no longer will intestinally accept. It is “out.” This is a revolutionary epoch we’ve entered, or are at the edge of entering, and Mitt Romney, while standing there alongside us, is standing looking backwards.

I supported Romney early in 2007. In 2008, I listened to his speeches and watched every Republican debate. The one element I kept hoping to see, but consistently failed to see, was some hint beneath the practiced, crisp, sunny and mostly perfect enunciations of value and virtue and conservative “truths,” was the underlying magma of the man, the flint and fire of, for lack of a better word, intolerance. At every point in a good politician’s career, and even at many points, the veneer must crack (he must crack it) to reveal his limits, his intolerances (those he’s willing to reveal in the name of his beliefs and himself). Style and appearances must be risked in the name of.. something, honor, cause, truth, or just plain cussed refusal to take it any more. This doesn’t mean lapsing into ugliness or vulgarity or even incivility. It just means, there is a hard surface there. But all I saw with Romney was one layer after another of smooth, seasoned, well-treated leather. I never hit a hard surface.

With Reagan, of course, we saw this enough to know who the man was, really. The moment in New Hampshire when he siezed the microphone was only the most dramatic example. There were many others. Some of them were channeled through his sense of humor and ridicule, as we saw the bite behind them.

But I don’t believe it is there in Romney. He is like his father — good, capable, virtuous in the public realm, but really unable to comprehend or manifest the ways and uses of ferocity. Brutally speaking, I’d call him ultimately “weak.” It crystallized for me in the final debates, when McCain and Huckabee were openly deriding him. I remember his averted glances. He couldn’t defend his own political manhood.

2012 will be a ferocious election, and the winning conservative candidate will have to understand the nature of the designs of the Left, will have to have absorbed them into his/her being and know how to respond, and be unafraid of this ferocity. Conservatives want and need and will not settle for less than a fighter, not this time around.

I actually think Sarah Palin does understand this, and brings to the fight not only a kind of natural (endearingly self-effacing) kind of self-confidence but also a distinct, feminine style ferocity which is utterly baffling to liberals.

rrpjr on January 30, 2010 at 12:31 PM

atheling on January 30, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Bite me, Pal.

anniekc on January 30, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Romney/Perry in ’12…

eanax on January 30, 2010 at 1:02 PM

…because they seem to be the only adults in the room.

eanax on January 30, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Scott Brown’s been impressive so far — but he sounds like a Valley Girl here.

What’s with the: “You know…and he was, you know, kind of, you know …he’s actually, like, funny, he’s like…I was like, who is this guy?…kind of being the elder statesman of the party…It’s kind of…a different guy…you know, ‘here’s a check, go get em!’…you know…you know — I worried about, how am I gonna pay for this?” Pull it together, don’t expose yourself to ridicule from the mainstream media blowhards.

It makes Caroline Kennedy sound statesmanlike. Cut the Valley Girl crap. Let Sarah Palin play the ditzy common person.

livetsown on January 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM

livetsown on January 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Did you even follow the links to the interview? Didn’t think so.

ray on January 30, 2010 at 1:11 PM

anniekc on January 30, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Thanks for proving my point, herder.

atheling on January 30, 2010 at 1:18 PM

SouthernGent on January 30, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I hope so too, Grahamnesty needs to get the boot.

RedRobin145 on January 30, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I’d vote for either Palin or Romney in a general election. I expect they’ll end up on the ticket together in some way. I know some people believe they wouldn’t have anything to do with each other, but they both strike me as pragmatists and if one thought putting the other on the ticket as VP nominee would be a good move, they would do it.

The only potential candidate who would force me to vote for a third party candidate or stay home is Huckabee. I hate the guy.

NoLeftTurn on January 30, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Krauthammer Says Romney Top Candidate 2012, Warm Words from Senator-Elect Scott Brown, Free and Strong America PAC Raises $3 Million: http://mittromneycentral.com/2010/01/30/romney-top-candidate-2012-warm-words-from-senator-elect-scott-brown-free-and-strong-america-pac-raises-3-million/

dnlchisholm on January 30, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Everybody put your pom poms and nightsticks down and desist. It’s a year too early for this and we all know it. This is just another thread where Allahpundit the “I don’t know what blonde to chase this month” blogger has again goated people with similar goals to go for and undermine each other. Allahpundit is a pretender with a gift to agitate, antagonize and instigate. Allahpundit only cares about traffic. He doesn’t care if dessension within the ranks happens.

Americannodash on January 30, 2010 at 2:19 PM

RedRobin145 on January 30, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Reagan couldn’t knock off Ford during tougher economic times. Often a candidate has to take a lap through the primary process before running a winning campaign. Romney has likely studied the operational aspect of the primaries and will have the most knowledgeable people employed.

He may lack the charisma to seal the deal with voters, but his previous campaign will help rather than hinder him.

dedalus on January 30, 2010 at 2:22 PM

How about we try to elect someone with a record this time???I respect the position of palinistas and am a fan of hers but…Her resume is as thin as Obama’s…Yes, she was a governor of a great state, however, Alaska has a population of just 686000. About the population of a small metro area. She’s a good girl but she’s not ready to run a Superpower…

Nozzle on January 30, 2010 at 3:19 PM

The only reason I say no to Romney is because I am not sure he would take on the GOP, and in addition rip apart the entrenched entitlement programs. To make a serious dent in the deficit we need the federal government to be cut by at a minimum of a third. I am more for cutting it to the bare bone, and cutting it down so far that there is not even an IRS entity.

Can Mitt do this?

Let us look at WHO might do this. Thinking. Pondering. Who has cut waste significantly in their state? Hmmm. Wait for it… oh yeah, that would be 1) Sarah Palin and 2) Bobby Jindal.

With that being said, (my shields are up), it is one thing to print a response, and another to say it. What I mean by this is I have watched Mrs. Palin being interviewed, and she seems to somewhat have the same problem as Obama. In the interview with Greta on Thursday night she said, “common sense solutions”, or some version of that at least 7 times. Now I know she knows what these “common sense solutions” are, but for the love of Pete would she PLEASE become more detailed and specific as to WHAT THEY ARE when she speaks to the public. And also for the love of Pete, could it not involve gas or oil for a change? Not all the folks across the fruited plains KNOW what these are, and they need some specifics as to what she thinks or would do. Spelling them out in vague terms such as, “common sense solutions which have been tried and are proven to work” is not exactly an answer anymore. People are so desperate for specific solutions, and thirsty for targeted ideas. I just wish she would speak to the Fox audience as if it was filled with people who have no idea as to what she has achieved or believes because in reality, there are many who do not know any of these things about her. There are also many independents who want specifics as well. So other than cutting capital gains taxes, and reducing taxes overall, which parts of the federal government would she target first, and would she include defense spending in her ideas of how to reduce the deficit? National Endowment for the Arts?

She did do a good job in quickly responding to questions after the State of the Unicorn address. That was much better.

And Bobby Jindal cannot run period. He is a genius, a strong Conservative and I like the man. However, the response to Obama’s tomfoolery speech was painful, and whether we like it or not, this POTUS race does come down to appealing to the shallowness of voters who do not vote on substance over appearance. Marketing a candidate is a big part of winning. Palin and Mitt win that category hands down.

Will broken glass Conservatives come out and vote for Mitt? This has nothing to do with religion, but more about how strong of a Conservative they believe he is. It is going to take Reagan Democrats, Independents, Hillbuzz Democrats, Tea Party folks, Glenn Beck’s libertarians, Blacks, Hispanics, Republicans and all stripes of Conservatives to beat back President OneNote. We are going to need a landslide/mandate to put this nation back on solid ground. We are going to need a win that the MSM cannot claim was close, and one that the Dems cannot remotely challenge via ACORN or recounts.

I will probably vote for any of them but Huckahu Ackbar. There are some in the Conservative wing which need to stop watching him twirl the shiny object of a flat tax in front of them, or basing their opinions of him on an interview. There is a REASON many here at HotAir, in Arkansas and many in the Conservative wing of the GOP despise the man. Be a serious political activist/journalist/pundit, and find out why this is a fiercely held sentiment. Some of us have worked with Mike on elections, and some of us have lived in his state. Some of us KNOW this guy has some serious skeletons in his closet and it will not take the Obama machine long to air them. He will not win against Obama. He is not who you think he is, but he is who we thought he was.

freeus on January 30, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I have nothing against Romney, and I’m not even an aging psychiatrist.

Seth Halpern on January 30, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Until we get a congress and president who will turn our energy companies loose, we will limp along in a Democratic hobbled economic nightmare.

It really is as simple as that. That one step alone will pull America out of the doldrums, cause oil prices to plummet and put tens of thousands of Americans back to work.

My motto: “Earth first, we’ll drill the rest of the planets later on”

E9RET on January 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Will broken glass Conservatives come out and vote for Mitt?

freeus on January 30, 2010 at 3:29 PM

No, and that’s going to be Romney’s fatal weakness. I think he’ll be the nominee in 2012, then the GOP will be banking on an anti-Obama turnout. Obama will be re-elected by a large margin.

ddrintn on January 30, 2010 at 4:49 PM

rrpjr on January 30, 2010 at 12:31 PM

A GOP candidate who knocks off Obama will have to slice and dice Obama (figuratively speaking, of course). Of the potential candidates right now, only Palin and Bachmann fit that bill. But Palin has too much resistance from within the GOP and voters who usually vote for the GOP candidate to win in 2012. There are still too many who are too ready to let the MSM choose our candidates and still too ready to buy into MSM memes. It will take another shellacking of the GOP to change things in a big way. In the meantime, I’m just going to be more concerned about the congressional and local races. Obama’s going to be re-elected.

ddrintn on January 30, 2010 at 4:56 PM

rrpjr on January 30, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Ah, so it’s the era of the pit bull with lipstick. Being incredibly competent and statesmanlike is not enough if you’re not “ferocious”. And as I recall, at the California debate he did reveal some of that fire you yearn for, but I do think he is uncomfortable attacking other Republicans. In a debate with Obama I think you’d see it very quickly and effectively, and he could do it without sounding like Barry – the stern parent scolding his children for not following his orders.

As for Sarah being endearing – yes is, but when her extemporaneous sentences start wandering off the plantation, she becomes annoying and open to ridicule. She can work on that of course and has gotten better, but I’d recommend that she avoid one-on-one interviews with Glenn Beck as they are not helpful (to either of them).

Buy Danish on January 30, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Yes, I think its time for a second look at Romney. Lets look at the facts:

1) Without Romney, Scott Brown wouldn’t have won MA and more importantly, ObamaCare would be alive today.

2) Without Mitt Rommey, conservatives wouldn’t have won NJ or VA either…both of which Romney supported and financed.

As a side note, please name me one conservative who has helped 3 conservative win a public office. Mitt Romney is the only conservative who is actually helping other conservatives get into office.

2) Mitt Romney’s Health Care plan shouldn’t be called RomneyCare but MassDemCare.

3) Romney is a conservative who supports federalism and state rights. Every state has the right to enact its own laws regarding including health care.

3) Mitt Romney has experience. He has executive and private sector experience. He has the credentials to help fix this economy.

4) Just because Mitt Romney lost in 2008 doesn’t mean he can’t win in 2012. Reagan lost in 1976 but won in 1980. Don’t count Romney out.

5) Any criticism of Romney is a liberal criticism of Romney. People who criticize him for his wealth is a liberal. Anyone who criticizes him for his personal and public success is a liberal.

Liberals complain about rich and successful people and want to penalize their successes. Is that what you all really stand for?

Tell me, what is “conservative” in criticizing a man who has built his success on his own merits and who has lived a good clean moral life?

The fact that Romney is so successful in his personal and public life shows that he is the embodiment of what conservatism should be.

Conservative Samizdat on January 30, 2010 at 5:49 PM

We need someone to beat Obama in ‘12 and I believe Romney is the man that can do it. *Yawn* I’m off to bed now. G’night everyone!!!

Snicker_Snort on January 30, 2010 at 2:39 AM

Sorry Snort Man…but Sarah’s Fox gig is a very small part of what she does. Again, where has Mittens been?

He’s been AWOL.

Look, this guy was a so-so manager. His only real big claim to success was turning the Olympics around a few years back. That’s commendable. But past that, he’s just another mediocre politician.

This is a guy that can’t even draw a crowd when he’s handing out free pizza!

Palin fills stadiums. People drive hundreds of miles and stand out, overnight, in freezing weather just to get a chance to be in her presence!

People love what Sarah is selling. She brings energy, vitality.

Romney is not a bad guy, but he brings nothing, absolutely nothing to the table that every other hack politician doesn’t also bring.

Willard is just another face in the crowd.

Sarah Palin has the jazz!

While Mittens is hiding:

Sarah Palin: Obamacare = Stray Dog, So Says President

Palin is a leader…Mittens is well…NOT!

gary4205 on January 30, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Palin is a leader…Mittens is well…NOT!

gary4205 on January 30, 2010 at 6:02 PM

She had been one of 50 governors. Now she is one of 300 million Facebook posters. She’s an effective voice, but she’ll have a tough sell running for office again, after resigning from her previous job. It will be especially difficult if that run is for the country’s top job.

dedalus on January 30, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Mitt Romney has been AWOL?!

I seem to remember seeing him in MA a little over a week ago after having helped elect Scott Brown.

The Proof.

Mitt Romney and his team have been busy running Scott Brown’s campaign for the last few months.

“Romneycare” beat “Obamacare” those are the facts here in MA.

SED on January 30, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Romney pines for the presidency in a way what belies dignity.

Cable news superstar Sarah P also pines for the presidency in a way what belies dignity.

In this way they are very similar.

happyfeet on January 30, 2010 at 6:31 PM