Scott Brown: Romney’s much cooler now than he used to be

posted at 8:25 pm on January 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

Thus prompting the question: How uncool did he used to be?

He’s changed, he’s changed. You know, he’s actually — before he was an outsider coming in and he was, you know, kind of, you know, stiff. But he’s actually, like, funny, he’s like — when he was at my events he was cracking jokes, when we were on the bus — I was like, who is this guy? He’s really kind of, I think, settled into his role kind of being the elder statesman of the party and everything he went through as president. It’s kind of, and once again it’s my opinion but he’s really a different guy than I knew when he was here, and I certainly appreciate everything he did for me. And it wasn’t a lot, he was just there as the initial — you know, ‘here’s a check, go get em!’ And that says a lot, you know, when I signed my contract with the team, you know — I worried about, how am I gonna pay for this? And he was one of the first guys that helped me towards that obligation. And I remember those people who took a chance.

Not only did Mitt help bankroll him, but a lot of the Brown campaign staff overlaps with the Romney campaign staff. Meanwhile, a new PPP poll shows Palin’s favorables down to 47/45 — in Alaska. Via the Right Scoop, here are KP and Krauthammer from tonight’s “Special Report” both listing Mitt as the man to beat on the Republican side. Exit question: If ObamaCare goes down and Mitt pledges, as he can and must, that he’d never support a RomneyCare program for the entire United States, is it time for a second look at Romney?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Mmmmmm… Kirsten Powers.

UltimateBob on January 29, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Of course Mitt’s cooler now. He was a liberal before!

jgapinoy on January 29, 2010 at 8:26 PM

much cooler than now he used to be

Headline needs a fix.

DrStock on January 29, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Yes. He’s stiff but I think he would make a competent POTUS.

terryannonline on January 29, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Meanwhile, a new PPP poll shows Palin’s favorables down to 47/45 — in Alaska.

Of course, Obama is at like -19 in Alaska…

ninjapirate on January 29, 2010 at 8:28 PM

I really don’t have a problem lending an ear to any potential candiate so that they can tell me why I should vote for them. Except for Mike Huckabee.

But let’s see if the Brown win really does save us from ObamaCare. Let’s see if the Brown win gives us more reason to celebrate past the glee of having won a MA seat.

myrenovations on January 29, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Why isn’t anyone (Republican Senators) asking why Scotty B. hasn’t been sworn and seated by now…

… and why hasn’t Hell been unleashed until he is?

Seven Percent Solution on January 29, 2010 at 8:29 PM

No second look at Romney.

First look at Cheney.

clement on January 29, 2010 at 8:29 PM

gee, no surprise Palin’s favorables are down among the very citizens she quit on!

Americans never look favorably on quitters!

Obama ” I DON’T QUIT!”!!

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Meanwhile, a new PPP poll shows Palin’s favorables down to 47/45 — in Alaska.

What are Romney’s favorables in Massachusetts?

ddrintn on January 29, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I smell RNC fishyness.

It’s Romney’s turn… gak!.. and I can’t connect the dots yet but it has something to do with sidelining Palin, edging out the teat party influence and easing Romney into the picture to fool the conservatives…

katy on January 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM

A stiff stuffy managerial type who actually digs into the issues? That is change we can believe in

Resolute on January 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM

ummm that’s tea party not teat party.. hee hee

katy on January 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM

And, as predictable as clockwork, it begins.

ddrintn on January 29, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I wanted Mitt in 2008. Wouldn’t we be in a much better place now if Huckabee supporters had just shut the hell up instead of handing the election to Obama by getting McCain nominated?

I think the approach for 2012 for Mitt is going have to expound on the theme of small government/states rights which would allow California or Mass. to initiate entitlement programs for healthcare if that is what they want to do.

highhopes on January 29, 2010 at 8:33 PM

The sales pitch is on?

heshtesh on January 29, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Romney’s persona in the campaign did not ring genuine, or authentic. It rang “politician to the core”, whether right or wrong. He never connected.

The people are SCREAMING for authenticity in their candidates right now. If they’re not “one of us”, we don’t want nuttin’ to do wid ‘em.

Scott Brown sold himself partly via his authenticity. Mitt Romney does not possess it that I have seen. If ever there was an operator too smooth by half, it is Mitt Romney.

Romney had his chance to sell himself, and he didn’t just fail. He never had a prayer.

IronDioPriest on January 29, 2010 at 8:33 PM

… and why hasn’t Hell been unleashed until he is?

Seven Percent Solution on January 29, 2010 at 8:29 PM

You beat me to it! I do not understand why this is not being discussed at all. What is going on here?

lukespapa on January 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Of course, Obama is at like -19 in Alaska…

ninjapirate on January 29, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Wow! Didn’t know some Alaskans liked him that much!

katy the mean old lady on January 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Resolute on January 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM

That is change we cannot afford to be without once the children running the White House vacate and the adults have to clean up all this mess.

highhopes on January 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM

heshtesh on January 29, 2010 at 8:33 PM

yup

katy on January 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM

The Donny Osmond method.

Maquis on January 29, 2010 at 8:35 PM

No to Romney. Sucked as governor in Massachusetts and is a mushy moderate.
If Romney is our nominee, he’ll lose to Hillary or Obama.
All the democrats will do is play this video, and he’s done.

cubachi on January 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Wouldn’t we also be in a much better place now if Romney supports had just “shut the hell up” instead of handing the election to Obama by getting McCain nominated?

Your logic suffers, my friend.

IronDioPriest on January 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I think that’s a smart guess there, KP.

As the Obama economic program progresses, perhaps the appeal of bizness Mitt increases. I certainly would think so, and the DC ‘conservatives’ are ready to get behind him, obviously.

haha @ “outside the galaxy”.

Spirit of 1776 on January 29, 2010 at 8:37 PM

ummm that’s tea party not teat party.. hee hee

katy on January 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Are you sure?

thomasaur on January 29, 2010 at 8:38 PM

is it time for a second look at Romney?

Is it time for AP to launch Operation Undermine Romney?

Stephen M on January 29, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Americans never look favorably on quitters!

Obama ” I DON’T QUIT!”!!

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Oh, so that’s why Obama’s approval ratings are in the dump — he quit his job as a senator, then moved into another job that was above his abilities.

Narutoboy on January 29, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Kirsten Powers gaining some pounds…

carbon_footprint on January 29, 2010 at 8:40 PM

No to Romney. Sucked as governor in Massachusetts and is a mushy moderate.
If Romney is our nominee, he’ll lose to Hillary or Obama.

To be honest I think all the names being touted as potential nominees will probably lose to Obama. I don’t think any of the have what it takes.

terryannonline on January 29, 2010 at 8:40 PM

thomasaur on January 29, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I knew someone would make a wise crack ;o)

The teat party is the lefty version. Boobs and suckers.

katy on January 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Slick Willard is a NO-GO.

Fletch54 on January 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Romneycare… small government… does not compute.

ajacksonian on January 29, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Seven Percent Solution on January 29, 2010 at 8:29 PM

lukespapa on January 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM

What they said. What’s the deal?

Knucklehead on January 29, 2010 at 8:43 PM

They can pitch Romney till the cows come home,can someone remind me of his input during the Obamacare debate,as i recall only one person stepped forward initially to show leadership and it was’nt Romney.

heshtesh on January 29, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Romney is kewl now
Does that mean that now he sings ” pants on the ground” instead of “who let the dogs out” when he visits the hoods ?

macncheez on January 29, 2010 at 8:44 PM

We have a cool President now. No thanks.

chief on January 29, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Mitt was a nice guy at the Brown celebration. Made a point of sucking up to the bloggers, who make the news these days. He wasn\’t cool and louche, the way Carl Cameron was, but he answered people\’s questions and suggested that states rights was the way forward on HCR, which is hard to argue with.

Dan Collins on January 29, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Conservatives truly strike me as self-destructive fools.

You have Romney, a successful man with high intellect who actually can prob do a good job as president…but he’s too elitist for you.

Then you have Palin, a dumb bimbo hick who quits at first chance and runs after $$$, and you guys can’t get enough of her.

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:48 PM

If more Dem women looked like Kirsten ObamaCare would be law by now.

angryed on January 29, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:48 PM

And then we have you… a member of the teat party.

katy on January 29, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Let’s make a deal! All the Palintas and the mitt bots should unite as one and support Paul Ryan candidacy.

Palin is doing fine right now cashing in on her brand she decided against running when she left her office.

Mitt is seen as a big phony amongst the grassroots so we need someone new like Paul Ryan

TimeTraveler on January 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Conservatives truly strike me as self-destructive fools.

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:48 PM

And then slime like you promotes Romney, Hmmmmm..

the_nile on January 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Look kids, having interacted with “Plasticman” as we used to call him during the ’08 primaries, revealing my gear-head roots as a teen, the man is all show and no go. A $10K paint job with a 4cyl, 2 litres of pure terror under the hood. There’s no there.

The guy is a gutless wonder. Abortion… against, for, against. ObamaCare is nothing more than RomneyCare recycled. If he’s such a champion of free markets how in the hell did he not veto that abortion, let alone be the guy who created it?

Romney is the Republican version of Edwards, $400 haircuts, $100K glow in the dark smile and a Hindenburg sized ego. If he’s nominated he’ll go down in flames, just like the zeppelin. Bank on it.

Archimedes on January 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM

TimeTraveler on January 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Or, all conservatives/Republicans start supporting Hillary Clinton!

Narutoboy on January 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM

“…he’s kind of settled into his role kind of being the elder statesman of the party”

Nice try.

And the more I see and hear Scott Brown the less impressed I am with him.

Is it too much to expect your senator not to talk like a 15-year-old girl?

rrpjr on January 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM

And then slime like you promotes Romney, Hmmmmm..

Why am I slime?

simply because I support OUR President? yeah, ok.

And yes, Romney would be someone I would support for Presidency.

He’s competent, unlike Palin.

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:48 PM

What is the obsession with quitting?

Obama QUIT the Senate after 2 years
He QUIT teaching law
He QUIT being a community organizer
He QUIT being a state rep in IL

You were saying….

angryed on January 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Anyone but Obama!

WisCon on January 29, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Archimedes on January 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM

LOL…harsh, but I tend to agree.

ddrintn on January 29, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Romney, suddenly cool…hip…

Michael Steele finger prints all over this one..

katy on January 29, 2010 at 8:54 PM

To the HA crew…is Palin Steele, our newest troll

a) Bleeds Blue
b) Grow Fins
c) ??

angryed on January 29, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Relevance:

Brown – frequently (lately) declared RINO that represents the 41st vote agains ObamaCare.

Romney – ZERO

Facts: Any of the losers that lost to McCain are just that… losers. Explain exactly what purpose do they serve other than to supply a candidate acceptable to the news?

CC

CapedConservative on January 29, 2010 at 8:55 PM

And yes, Romney would be someone I would support for Presidency.

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Heh…of COURSE you would. So would most of the Dems. Up until the election, of course.

ddrintn on January 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM

is it time for a second look at Romney?

I’ve never bought anything that I didn’t know what it was first, and that includes Romney.

FloatingRock on January 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM

What is the obsession with quitting?

Obama QUIT the Senate after 2 years
He QUIT teaching law
He QUIT being a community organizer
He QUIT being a state rep in IL

You were saying….

jeez, you totally don’t understand quitting do you? well, Im not gonna waste time explaining you troll bag.

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM

To the HA crew…is Palin Steele, our newest troll

a) Bleeds Blue
b) Grow Fins
c) ??

angryed on January 29, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Doesn’t matter. They’re interchangeable.

ddrintn on January 29, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Let me go ahead and declare myself suspicious of anyone who was on the ballot in 2008. They were all fantastically lame and stupid candidates (which was an amazing feat considering there were like 10 of them and they were sharing a stage with Ron “WE DESERVED IT!” Paul, Sam “I Only Half Voted for Amnesty” Brownback, and Duncan “Who??” Hunter).

Let’s try and find someone new, please. Romney will do in a pinch, but I’m not relying on anybody on TV to tell me so.

Lehosh on January 29, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Your paycheck is ready. You can pick it up at MediaMutters office Monday.

katy on January 29, 2010 at 8:57 PM

ddrintn on January 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Yup. Just like John McCain was every lib’s favorite Republican…until the election, when none of them actually voted for him. Which makes sense since all liberals are lying piece of dung, never to be trusted.

angryed on January 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Your logic suffers, my friend.

IronDioPriest on January 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM

McCain was the wrong candidate but Huckabee is nothing a liberal idiot (far more liberal than anything Romney is being accused of). Frankly, I would have stayed home if that moronic faux Christian from Arkansas had gotten the nomination. Let’s not forget that Huckabee released not one but two killers who went on to kill again.

highhopes on January 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM

angryed on January 29, 2010 at 8:54 PM

What? …can’t you smell him?

katy on January 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:48 PM

What do you do when you are not smelling your fingers…?

Seven Percent Solution on January 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM

terryannonline on January 29, 2010 at 8:40 PM

To be honest I think you had one too many hits on the crack pipe, Oboobi is a junior senator with no executive experience who become our first affirmative action potus…And it shows. He also demonstrates daily his ignorance,arrogance and inability to learn. he’s done in 2012….

SHARPTOOTH on January 29, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM

LOLZ…the troll is accusing others of trolling. Well, OK, you got me. I have no response for this one. Good day to you.

angryed on January 29, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I am NOT voting for Romney. I swear I will stay home AGAIN!

Jayrae on January 29, 2010 at 8:59 PM

um, no most dems hate romney.

thing is, I’m not a dem. I hold both liberal and conservative views, unlike most folks here, who can only agree with one side.

I honestly can’t tell you who I would vote for between Mitt and Barack…they’re both intelligent and competent. Barack is more genuine, but Mitt is stronger in terms of economy.

It would be a damn tough choice…hard to see how I would lose with either pick though. WIN WIN!!! :)

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Seven Percent Solution on January 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Stinking up his keyboard I would imagine.

katy on January 29, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Palin will not run in 2012 and would get crucified for resigning from her Governorship if she did. She knows it ans that is why she wont. She will be key in getting the eventual nominee through the primaries.

csdeven on January 29, 2010 at 9:00 PM

angryed on January 29, 2010 at 8:59 PM

This guy has to be Simplesimon. Only he/she/it would make such idiotic statements.

NathanG on January 29, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Good lord.. at least Grow fins and Bleeds Blue were of drinking age.

katy on January 29, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Lehosh on January 29, 2010 at 8:57 PM

There isn’t much time to find that person. The elections really begin about a year from now. If not one of the usual suspects, the potential candidate has to start sucking up to the idiots in Iowa and New Hampshire and getting a national reputation.

highhopes on January 29, 2010 at 9:02 PM

AH, HAHAHAHAHAHA

Leftiepundit heartthrob KP and Charles Krauthammer, both of whom were pulling for Maobama in 08, are now telling Fox listeners its time to jump on the Romney bandwagon.

No worries conservatives: who better to trounce Obamacare than the Godfather of the Individual Mandate Himself, Mittens Romneycare!

Can we just fast forward past all of the bulls**t, Mittens is the GOP’s boy: smart socialism and great hair, in one shiny, plastic package.

(btw, has everyone heard? That Tea Party Convention is smelling kind of shady. too expensive. and for profit. Plus, CPAC tickets are still available! Call Federal Express for details)

james23 on January 29, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Barrack is more genuine????? Your on a first name basis??????

Your liberal and conservative??????

Sounds like a troll to me.

SHARPTOOTH on January 29, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Your liberal and conservative??????

Sounds like a troll to me.

OHMIGOD…I have both liberal and conservative beliefs!!! GASP

I must be a troll!!!!

idiot.

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Translation: I see myself having sex with Barack and Mitt

Translation: Palin reminds me of the pretty high school girl that is mean gets everything that she wants without working hard for it.

TimeTraveler on January 29, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Uh oh, OT but good.
George H W Bush to visit With Obama on Saturday at the WH. No press invited.
It seems to me our Precedent is just a little nervous about his agenda and the anger he’s feeling. LOL

elclynn on January 29, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Well if a Scott Brown vouches for him, lets just forgo the primaries and just give it to Romney.

It IS HIS TURN. /

portlandon on January 29, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Ok, Your a confused troll.

SHARPTOOTH on January 29, 2010 at 9:08 PM

It’s OK, folks…

… I was able to track down Palin Steele.

Enjoy!

Seven Percent Solution on January 29, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Translation: I see myself having sex with Barack and Mitt

lol, I’m a straight guy.

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Why are you guys feeding the trolls? Palin Steele is the probably the lamest troll ever to troll at Ace of Spades… (S)he is barely even coherent most of the time.

Lehosh on January 29, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Mitt is the Republican’s Al Gore. I don’t care how his team is. The candidate is the message, and he’s just not there. It’s not even his record, it’s his personality.

JeffWeimer on January 29, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Can someone please waterboard the troll?

Black Ice on January 29, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I think people should worry about the 2010 elections first.

RedRobin145 on January 29, 2010 at 9:11 PM

It’s getting the the point where it’s an unnecessary gambit, but Romney definitely, and I am still intrigued by a Romney-Palin ticket. But the duo doesn’t have the luster it had, to me even a month ago, because Obama is now so obviously a failure.

I am interested in seeing how Rick Lazio does in the NY Gov race. Obi-WanMitt is at work there, as with Scott Brown. Obi-WanMitt also has Whitman in CA, and by 2012, we could see a network of Romney cheerleaders that could put him over the top.

I still love the idea of Romney-Palin because, it would energize everyone to the right of Romney, and help kill the Left for a generation.

ParisParamus on January 29, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Quitting means exactly that: quitting. Moron. It doesn’t matter if you’re moving up or down in terms of your job. Also, Obama didn’t just QUIT and then immediately become president. He ran a campaign. Palin, in a similar fashion, is trying to build back some credibility, and it’s very likely that she will run come 2012.

Narutoboy on January 29, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Romney is still stiff Scottie.

Guy wins a Senate seat and thinks he’s a God.

Scottie,

Just sit your moderate a*s down in the Senate and kill Obamacare like you promised.

Sapwolf on January 29, 2010 at 9:13 PM

bizness Mitt

Right. Here we go again. Who better to “run the economy” than a businessman like Mittens? that’s what conservatism is all about, right, finding the smartest bureaucrat to “run the economy?”

Now that the fight against Obamacare is over, or at least stayed, Mitt emerges from his fortified bunker, where he has been hiding for a year, to stake his claim to leadership. After all, nothing says leadership like disappearing when the fighting starts, right?

james23 on January 29, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Barack is genuine?

Oh, do tell.

With links, please.

JeffWeimer on January 29, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 9:06 PM

It looks like you are gay you don’t even know it. I could sense the sexual tension from a mile away.

TimeTraveler on January 29, 2010 at 9:14 PM

More Palin Steele…

Seven Percent Solution on January 29, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I would rather have Pawlenty than Romney….period.

deidre on January 29, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Seven Percent Solution on January 29, 2010 at 9:09 PM

HA!!

katy on January 29, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Painful Stoole is a Maobama troll who was banned at Ace’s a while back. It answers to “Dum Dum.”

james23 on January 29, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Narutoboy on January 29, 2010 at 9:12 PM

No it doesn’t dipsh*t.

Palin stepped up and is the one beating O-man up while Mitt chickens out like usual.

He is not Presidential. He looks good and is tall but he is not the right man for President.

People need to match the people to where they would best be utilized.

Romney is the guy who gets the job of divesting all the businesses that Obama bought.

That is the perfect job for him.

Sapwolf on January 29, 2010 at 9:15 PM

jeez, you really DOn’t understand quitting huh?

Obama didn’t quit the Senate seat. He was senator WHILE campaigning. Once he won, then he HAD to vacate. But in essence, he’s still serving the citizens of Chicago, but only in a higher capacity.

Palin quit Alaskans to hawk her shitty book and make money as a sex object on Fox. Do you not see the difference?

Palin Steele on January 29, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Sarah, Will be an excellent tv show host in the future. Like I said before, Palin decided against running for national office when she left her governorship in ak.

TimeTraveler on January 29, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Seven Percent Solution on January 29, 2010 at 9:14 PM

KILLING. ME.!!

katy on January 29, 2010 at 9:16 PM

It’s OK, folks…

… I was able to track down Palin Steele.

Enjoy!

Seven Percent Solution on January 29, 2010 at 9:09 PM

That was mean… hilarious though…I loved it.

Les in NC on January 29, 2010 at 9:16 PM