Quotes of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on January 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

“Accepting the invitation to speak at the House GOP retreat may turn out to be the smartest decision the White House has made in months. Debating a law professor is kind of foolish: the Republican House Caucus has managed to turn Obama’s weakness — his penchant for nuance — into a strength. Plenty of Republicans asked good and probing questions, but Mike Pence, among others, found their arguments simply demolished by the president. (By the way: can we stop with the Obama needs a teleprompter jokes?)

“More than the State of the Union — or on top of the State of the Union — this may be a pivotal moment for the future of the presidential agenda on Capitol Hill. (Democrats are loving this. Chris Hayes, The Nation’s Washington bureau chief, tweeted that he hadn’t liked Obama more since the inauguration.)”

***
“Pressed on who had the upper hand, Luntz conceded: ‘Obama had the advantage. But he always has the advantage’ because he’s President. Luntz said it was a boon to Obama, because he ‘demonstrated bipartisanship before a national audience.’

“But Luntz said he’d counsel Republicans to do it again. ‘It was good for Republicans — it put them on the same level with the president and it will get their ideas heard,’ he said.

“‘I would advise both sides to do it again,’ Luntz said. ‘It should become a tradition. It demonstrates respect for the political process when both sides engage in debate.’”

***
Today:
“I mean, the easiest thing for me to do on the health care debate would have been to tell people that, ‘What you’re going to get is guaranteed health insurance, lower your costs, all the insurance reforms, we’re going to lower the cost of Medicare and Medicaid, and it won’t cost anybody anything.’ That’s great politics. It’s just not true.”

September 9:
“The plan I’m announcing tonight would meet three basic goals. It will provide more security and stability to those who have health insurance. It will provide insurance for those who don’t. And it will slow the growth of health care costs for our families, our businesses, and our government…

“Now, add it all up, and the plan I’m proposing will cost around $900 billion over 10 years — less than we have spent on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and less than the tax cuts for the wealthiest few Americans that Congress passed at the beginning of the previous administration. (Applause.) Now, most of these costs will be paid for with money already being spent — but spent badly — in the existing health care system. The plan will not add to our deficit. The middle class will realize greater security, not higher taxes. And if we are able to slow the growth of health care costs by just one-tenth of 1 percent each year — one-tenth of 1 percent — it will actually reduce the deficit by $4 trillion over the long term.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Rod on January 30, 2010 at 7:50 AM

I’m still waiting for him to do one thing that I see as honestly good for the country… But then, he is just a watered down anti-Christ to me.
Proof!

RalphyBoy on January 30, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Please stop the palin nonsense.

I am not after her personally but she is electoral disaster.

Suburbanites, urbanites, moderate women, moderate republican women don’t like palin.

Palin is polling the worst against obama losing 55-31.

Palin is a disaster electorally of epic portions. I can’t tell you how many people I run across who voted for Bush in 2004 but voted for Obama because of Palin. One person said he knows 20 people from his small company who did this alone.

Please we can have a conservative who is electable unlike palin. Palin isn’t god.

We need new blood. I hope romney, huckabee, palin don’t run.

If Huntsman won’t run in 2012 we need someone new like John Thune. Pawlenty is too weak and would be a disaster.

John Thune is our best choice if Huntsman won’t run in 2012.

I’m still ticked off at the michigan county gop chair who took back the invitation from huntsman because of civil unions. Who cares. Huntsman was our best chance in 2012.

If not Huntsman Thune is our best chance. Thune is new and doesn’t have the baggage of huckabee, romney and palin.

Thune vs Obama lets get it on

ryandan on January 30, 2010 at 11:34 AM

House GOP giving obama a campaign platform was a disaster.

We have msnbc and the media against us as it is and they don’t focus on issues like dems raising the debt 1.9 billion as it is. We get no attention on Obama and the dems bad policies so the house gop goes out and msnbc will be playing these clips forever.

ryandan on January 30, 2010 at 11:36 AM

I watched and thought it was terrific. And I think the GOP concern over “looking bad” is overwrought thinking.

It was really quite in line with what I thought, anyway. Obama’s dismissal was predictable. There are no conservative economists he respects. OK. Check off why nobody can penetrate.

He put down questioners, taking opportunities that someone with more discipline would have seen, “Easy shot, don’t go for it.”

He went for it.

I recommend the GOP do these types of exchanges often.

AnninCA on January 30, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Agreed, Obama is his own biggest downer. In this engagement his tunnel vision, inflexibility and at times down right negativity pushed more independents away from the dems. The more Obama talks, the more his previous voters will not vote dem next time. All the GOP needs to do for victory is put forth a reasonable agenda and let Obama yammer.

ray on January 30, 2010 at 11:50 AM

robertnyc212 on January 30, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Welcome back SimpleSimon.

angryed on January 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM

karl9000

you scare the living daylights out of me.

You may not have caught my entirely selfish intent in the message.

Obama COULD completely turn around his presidency and help this country to greatness. The operative word here is COULD. As you point out his ideology is completely in the way of this happening.

My point is simply IF Obama could do a 180, he COULD be a great president. I won’t hold my breath waiting for it.

karl9000 on January 30, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Welcome back SimpleSimon.

angryed on January 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Does anybody know where that little jerkwad went anyway? Haven’t read his/her/its painfully stupid drivel in ages.

NathanG on January 30, 2010 at 12:31 PM

what get’s my goat is they never mention that he and his colleagues were in control of congress the last 2 yrs of W’s term and they had a hand in this ‘inheritance’…why don’t they point that out…sheesh!

cmsinaz on January 30, 2010 at 2:04 PM

LOVE IT—- a good ol’ GOP/Conservative beatdown. President Obama is clearly the smartest guy in the room.

robertnyc212 on January 30, 2010 at 10:00 AM

If the president is so smart, then why the need to hide his grades? I’m still waiting for your answer,

redridinghood on January 30, 2010 at 10:46 AM

…….. crickets ……thought so.

redridinghood on January 30, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Again, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Itchee Dryback on January 30, 2010 at 9:36 AM

What victory did 0bamessiah gain exactly? Oh, the MSM and some pundits on both the Left and Right went orgasmic over the mere verbal utterances (LOL!) of someone the general public justifiably has little to no faith in. Now, all of the sudden this is gonna translate into 0bamessiah passing more of his legislative agenda, and Democrat candidates who were fearing for their jobs becoming confident at the prospect of keeping them, right?

Get real! What is it with you Chicken Littles? Oh, how soon you forget…

Bizarro No. 1 on January 30, 2010 at 4:38 PM

What is disturbing to me, as an Independent, is the obvious lack of perspective even by the GOP insiders.

This wasn’t a smackdown. We already knew his talking points.

AnninCA on January 30, 2010 at 10:27 AM

The ONLY thing that really matters to voters is results. They’ll sometimes go for “shiny” ideas, such as Obama’s hope message or some state race where the promise is to eliminate taxes.

That’s politics.

However, if results are produced, people calm down.

Obama could give a nightly speech, and it won’t matter.

Until he/Dems (and I don’t think they can, because the ideas are flawed) turn things around, he’ll lose.

AnninCA on January 30, 2010 at 10:30 AM

I find it humorous that you, who many here consider a troll, are more level-headed about what happened (and didn’t) yesterday than they are.

Bizarro No. 1 on January 30, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I agree with Missy – the Dems could ram this through if they want. What’s stopping them? Must be those GOP lawmakers and their Blue Dog dem counterparts telling horror stories to their constituents about death panels and rationing. Yeah, right. I hope Barry’s tin ear never improves.

Philly on January 30, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Get real! What is it with you Chicken Littles? Oh, how soon you forget…

Bizarro No. 1 on January 30, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I wasn’t referring to Maobama, but the dems in general. Having only seem clips of the talk and some reaction after the talk, the consensus seems to be that a lot of people “out there” are talking it as a victory for ‘reaching across the aisle’. This was right on the heels of 2 weeks of the conservative gaining ground with the people who actually count..the undecideds.
Those pundits on the left and right who went orgasmic are the very ones who will help to shape the image of the debate for weeks to come. Blow it off if you want, but perception does matter, and the gop came off as beta.

I stand by by claim that it was a stupid move by the GOP, just when progress was being made in the minds of the independents. I hope I’m wrong and you’re right. Time will tell.

I’m not saying its going to assure Moabama will be able to pass more of the lefts legislation, just that it was just another dumb move that may, in fact lead to that, or give the dems the courage to cram health care thru. At this stage of reality, where the left has both houses and the WH, no setback is tolerable imo.

Itchee Dryback on January 30, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I disagree with this assessment, and I can actually back it up with data.

I guess you haven’t noticed that 0bamessiah has already lost the Independents, and he doesn’t have the Republicans. Look at the reaction in the polls to his SOTU speech. The only group that was moved by it were the Dems, and that isn’t going to make one bit of difference in passing 0bamaCare. How could it? Dem politicians already had the support they needed from them.

The average person now understands his schtick, and he needs to move the needle a lot more than any speeches or gestures he gives are capable of doing. “reaching out the to Republicans” while being his typical jerky, disingenuous self as he does so simply isn’t going to work for him.

Yep! We’ll see, but I believe the answer is already out there. If I am wrong, come back and tell me, “I told you so!” :)

Itchee Dryback on January 30, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on January 30, 2010 at 6:49 PM

How can you tell? The caucus just happened. I agree that he was losing independent support recently, if that trend stays, then we have a good shot. But we don’t know that yet.

I’m hopeful that you’re right. It just struck me that even giving him the chance to be effective at swaying people with more of his BS was a dumb idea. If thats accurate or not is yet to be seen imo.

You have no idea how I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

Itchee Dryback on January 30, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Well, just recently, Rasmussen indicated that Independents were unmoved by his SOTU speech; CNN indicated that Independents reacted more negatively to his “hope” BS than Republicans did even. What does that say to me? His words are falling on their deaf and jaundiced ears, so more of his talk won’t change anything with them. They need more than that. It is completely incredible to me that the trend of the elections in VA, NJ, and MA could be reversed because ‘this time, he said it right!’.

AnninCA might just be an anecdotal example, but I believe she typifies the average Independent’s attitude about 0bamessiah.

You have no idea how I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

Itchee Dryback on January 30, 2010 at 7:43 PM

The reason I am so confident is because imo, his credibility with non-Democrats is so far shot that the more he speaks, the more their eyes roll; they know how untrustworthy his words are. Yes, I believe it is that bad for him.

Bizarro No. 1 on January 30, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Obama’s proving the one thing he’s good at; Digging holes.

Cybergeezer on January 31, 2010 at 9:31 AM