Murray in trouble in WA?

posted at 12:55 pm on January 29, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Until today, Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) seemed safe from the backlash gathering against Democrats.  No Republican has managed to win a statewide election for either Governor or Senator in more than a decade, and Washington is a safely liberal cog in the Left Coast machine.  However, according to a new poll among registered voters, Murray trails Dino Rossi, who lost two close elections to Governor Christine Gregoire:

In what is becoming a familiar refrain for Dems, Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) could be facing a tough re-election fight, according to a new poll released today by a GOP survey firm.

The poll, conducted by OR-based Moore Information (R), shows Murray trailing two-time GOV nominee Dino Rossi (R) in a hypothetical matchup. Rossi, Moore Information pollsters Bob Moore and Hans Kaiser note, is the state’s best-known GOPer, though he has not been mentioned as a potential candidate against Murray. Rossi has lost two close elections to Gov. Chris Gregiore (D); he notably declined to run in ’06 against Sen. Maria Cantwell (D) to challenge a second time Gregoire in ’08.

Moore Information surveyed 500 WA registered voters on Jan. 23 and 24, with a margin of error of +/- 4.4%.

There is no word on the partisan split in the sample.  Interestingly, their poll shows a 35/35 split on a generic Congressional ballot among Washington voters, which is better news than Democrats hear nationwide.  However, the voters do have a preference for Republicans in order to put a check on Barack Obama’s agenda rather than Democrats to advance it, 45%/39%.  That shows a lack of enthusiasm for the Obama-Pelosi agenda in a state that should be more sympathetic to it.

Independent voters are once again the key to the election.  They support Rossi, assuming he enters the race, by 17 points.  Rossi also has better base enthusiasm, with even moderate Republicans supporting him in the high 80s.  Democratic moderates are more likely to cross over — and perhaps less likely to vote at all.

Rossi only narrowly lost both of his statewide elections to Gregoire, including a 2004 election that prompted a turbulent and messy recount in which Rossi lost an Election Day lead.  He already knows what it takes to challenge Democrats in Washington, and this year the winds would finally be at his back.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

hung his sneakers on a telephone wire.

Akzed on January 29, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Was he still in them?

MarkTheGreat on January 29, 2010 at 1:46 PM

First Boxer’s in trouble, now Patty Murray? That’s just plain IQ-ism. Those darn bigots.

RBMN on January 29, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Don’t forget Russ Feingold! This can’t be good for Dems because Murray’s seat isn’t low-hanging fruit like the one in Arkansas.

highhopes on January 29, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Good Lord let this be true. I have lived under this stupid witch since she was elected and cannot wait for someone to shove her red tennis shoes where the sun don’t shine. The progressives in this state have turned it from a must move to state to a get the hell out of here state. I am sick and tired of us in the eastern part of the state paying for all the tax and spend liberals on the west side.

jistincase on January 29, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Seriously! My grandma lived on an island there. It started out great, as a child it was a fun place to fish, have a campfire, hike and just enjoy the outdoors. Twenty years later my folks inherited a property tax larger than that of their land in California (for 2 lots!) and I don’t even like to visit anymore. It’s like a moldy, musty San Fransisco with more pissed-off liberals. They’re trying to get into every aspect of the locals’ lives. It’s sickening. I like the Eastern part of the state so much more.

NTWR on January 29, 2010 at 1:40 PM

For those who aren’t aware, WA is really two states, glued together with the Cascade mountain range. West of the mountains is mostly lib with a few conservative bastions. East of the mountains is mostly conservative. The east gets screwed, of course, because most of the population is in the western half.

Weather-wise, the western half has the moderate weather and all the rain because the clouds coming off the Pacific have to dump their moisture to get over the mountains. The eastern half is much more extreme — very hot in summer, very cold in winter, like the midwest.

Are there are other states that are so clearly divided politically and geographically? Let me know, I’m curious.

Splashman on January 29, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Electrongod on January 29, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I have a friend that lives on Camno Island.
I used to love to go clamming & dump my crab pots around there.
Now I wouldn’t go there for $$.
I used to go riding (horses) near Stanwood.
I bet that isn’t possible anymore.
It’s so extremely sad to see what liberals have done to such a wonderfully beautiful place.
They have RUINED it with their high-priced condos & their Starbucks on every corner with a Wal-mart to boot.

I like the Eastern part of the state so much more.

NTWR on January 29, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I do, too.
E. WA is awesome.
You can still be normal there.

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Uh.. that is Camano Island.

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 1:52 PM

We’re moving to MD. I’ve been heartened to see that there is a part of MD that is tea-partied up.

Christian Conservative on January 29, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Where in MD are you moving to? It’s quite blue here (not just talking about the crabs!) — so keep your expectations in check as to the effectiveness of the tea party presence.

Mikulski has high approval ratings here. She will be tough to unseat. Steele almost squeaked out a victory over Cardin in 2006 for the former Sarbanes (Oxley’s friend) seat, so there is some hope that the GOP can win a statewide election. Would have been a nice opportunity for Ehrlich to run against Mikulski this year if he were finishing up a 2nd term as governor. Unfortunately, he lost his re-election bid in 2006. He’s a bit RINO-ish, but that’s probably the only kind of R that has a shot to win a statewide MD election. If he runs for anything, he probably has a better shot of re-taking the reigns in Annapolis from O’Malley.

DOOF on January 29, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Splashman on January 29, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Besides Oregon?

Virginia. Everything north of the Rappahannock River is blue. Because those people aren’t from Virginia…. although Bob McDonnell did get a pretty good chunk of them to vote GOP.

fiatboomer on January 29, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I was called for this poll on Sunday night. They had more than a few questions about lower taxes vs higher taxes to help out the oppressed peoples and whether or not increasing tobacco taxes would lead to reduced revenues. That poll summary doesn’t mention any of that, so I would guess that the numbers are in line with expected WA results on those topics.

rw on January 29, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Splashman, SW Washington doesn’t consider itself a part of “West Washington”. It’s mostly everything outside of the Seattle/Olympia area that is it’s own “state”. We just have to put up with the BS that they spew on us. Like idiots from Evergreen College showing up to protest troops deploying to Iraq by trying to block their shipments of Stryker vehicles.

Kaitian on January 29, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Splashman on January 29, 2010 at 1:51 PM

N. & S. Dakota.
They both should have been divided E. W.
We in the W. parts of both ND & SD call people who live in the glacially flat eastern portions “East river” people.
They are farmers & city people for the most part.
W. there are many ranches (though still a lot of farmers).
And I don’t mean to demean farmers, bcs many of them are my neighbors & friends.
But when you are a rancher only, it is a totally different mentality than a farmer mentality.
But ranch life is a lot more rugged than farm life & it sure does shape the attitude of people who live in this country.

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I love the Evergreen state. I really hope they can crawl out of the liber hell hole they are in.
Maybe dreams do come true.

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I hear you Badger, WA ex-pat here, born and raised in Renton. Back then, I would have called the area Democrat, but Liberal? Left wing? Nope. That is a recent shift, at least in jusdreamin years.

JusDreamin on January 29, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Splashman on January 29, 2010 at 1:51 PM

And many ranchers tend to be conservative, whereas from my personal experience, more farmers tend to be more liberal.

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I have to give “Patty Cake” credit for her support of our troops “personnel issue’s”. However, “On everything else she is Clueless”.
Now would be a good time to: “Replace HER”.

bucko36 on January 29, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Best thing BHO did for us was to make all of us start paying attention. I know more liberal senators names, where they are, and what dumb things they’ve done and said than ever in my 45 years of life…plus now I know where to send my money for support…heh…

Ltlgeneral64 on January 29, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Oh, and while we’re talking about Washington, could the state GOP PLEASE put up a real challenger to Jay Freakin’ Inslee? The guy has been virtually unopposed in the last years. There are too many military votes in WA-1 to write it off.

fiatboomer on January 29, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Renton.

Whenever I think of going to Renton, I think of the S-curves at rush hour.
Dreadful.
Ugh.
Too bad radical libs can screw up so many good things.

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I’m hoping to raise the median IQ of the Senate significantly through kicking out Patty Murray and Barbara Boxer in the same election.

teke184 on January 29, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Sorry to pick your statistical nits, but the MEDIAN IQ is halfway between the IQs of the 50th and 51st smartest Senators, which wouldn’t change much if Murray and Boxer dropped off the bottom of the curve. However, the MEAN (arithmetic average) IQ would be greatly improved, but that would require a massive increase in the IQ of California voters, and there are many millions of them…

Steve Z on January 29, 2010 at 1:44 PM

OK, I’ll clarify… I want to help fix the “mode” IQ of the Senate by removing two people who scored a 0.

teke184 on January 29, 2010 at 1:58 PM

footsteps are a comin…..hear them…. here they come…

ted c on January 29, 2010 at 1:58 PM

There are too many military votes in WA-1 to write it off.

fiatboomer on January 29, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Curiously, how many military people consider their duty station home enough to vote & get their license in that state for?
My ex, when we were stationed at Ft LEwis, always kept his native WVA & would vote accordingly that way.
A lot of the military I knew would opt to keep with their state elections.
Anyone know the stats on this?

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 1:52 PM

My parents still live outside of Stanwood. They moved there from Everett to get away from the influx of population back in 1983. It was a small town and very nice. Now…it has grown 6x and my parents property taxes have quadrupled in the last 10 years. Beautiful farm houses on many acres now are surrounded by 10 foot spaced cookie cutter houses. So much for Norman Rockwell look.

Electrongod on January 29, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Whenever I think of going to Renton, I think of the S-curves at rush hour.
Dreadful.
Ugh.
Too bad radical libs can screw up so many good things.

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Ha! I still have family there. Hasn’t changed a bit! traffic that rivals LA, truly awful. In fact, it doenst even need to be rush hour.

JusDreamin on January 29, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Ltlgeneral64 on January 29, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Perhaps all the bungling will hold a silver lining?

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Dino has tried for many years to right the wrongs of Washington State…..I commend him on another adventure into unseating this twit Murray!…I hope that all Washingtonians will rise up and boot this Liberal out of office…..
Murray and the Democrats have hurt the state for so many years……

hawkman on January 29, 2010 at 2:01 PM

In fact, it doenst even need to be rush hour.

JusDreamin on January 29, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I know it.
That was a major reason for me moving from Bellevue on Coal Creek Parkway, up from the Factoria mall, over to Monroe.
I could not stand the traffic.
It was at least manageable in Monroe at that time.
I bet it’s all bad,now.

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 2:03 PM

fiatboomer on January 29, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I’m one of “those people.” Not everybody is a transplant.

highhopes on January 29, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Electrongod on January 29, 2010 at 2:00 PM

My girlfriend’s from Everett-went to Cascade HS.
But she lives in AZ now & I know doesn’t want to go back-although I can hardly tell the difference, really.
Honestly, Everett scared me bcs when my friends & I went out, there’d be all these desperate sailors to contend with in the bars! LOL!

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I’m one of “those people.” Not everybody is a transplant.

highhopes on January 29, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Sorry. Alexandria native here – I just have a hard time finding anyone else from NOVA who’s actually…. Virginian. I’m still bitter about my hometown’s insane habit of returning Jim Moran to Congress.

fiatboomer on January 29, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Not everybody is a transplant.

highhopes on January 29, 2010 at 2:03 PM

One can only run for so long.
Many states I have lived in I have run from, being just ahead of the liberal tidal wave.
I think I may be safe here in the stix of SW ND, but you never know.
It is admirable that you haven’t fled the oppression!

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 2:07 PM

fiatboomer on January 29, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Alexandria-perhaps my only E. seaboard link: born at DeWitt Army hospital.

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I knew an idividual that registered his vehicles locally when he was transferred South. He believed, rightfully so IMO, that he would have less trouble with the local police if he didn’t have New Jersey plates on his car.

highhopes on January 29, 2010 at 2:08 PM

fiatboomer on January 29, 2010 at 2:07 PM

My Congressman and you are right, it is insane that Jim “Moron” keeps getting his job back. But driving around Alexandria I can easily see why. They’ve gerrymandered so many areas that are conducive to liberal candidates that he is bulletproof.

highhopes on January 29, 2010 at 2:14 PM

highhopes on January 29, 2010 at 2:08 PM

We did that, too.
Duty station times now tend to be longer, making that more practical.
But WA DOT is so ungodly expensive on vehicles.
This is why I love ND-cheap, & no emissions inspections.
I can still drive my little piece o’ crap car.

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Nah this seat is safe. Washington Democrats are good at stealing elections. Without a few more high profile races with Democrats in trouble in the state She will win a “close” race. If it comes down to a recount absentee ballots will all of a sudden appear and put her over the top.

Theworldisnotenough on January 29, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Washington state in play, eh?

Q13 Fox News reported the Seattle “homeless count” just this morning. They counted over 9000 people sleeping on the streets in the Seattle area last night. What do you bet that every one of them that can, votes Demonrat?

My collie says:

I sleep on the street all the time. Maybe Senators Cantwell and Murray should be sleeping on the streets, too.

Maybe if Washington state’s voters relieve them of their jobs, they WILL be sleeping on the streets, collie. We can only hope.

CyberCipher on January 29, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Theworldisnotenough on January 29, 2010 at 2:15 PM

ACORN is probably busy all across America producing absentee ballot requests and bogus voter registration cards to gear up for the mid-term elections.

highhopes on January 29, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 2:15 PM

You make no sense in that other thread. Go answer the question.

AubieJon on January 29, 2010 at 2:21 PM

After the deliberate attempt to degrade, demean, and disparage SCOTUS in the style of Chavez during the SOTU, I say take’em all down!

These people should be considered the next closest thing to a domestic enemy of the Constitution! I say the next closest because their status is only exceeded by Narcissist-in-Chief Zero himself! In fact, they should all be wearing red shirts!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on January 29, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on January 29, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I really can’t get behind the idea that the SCOTUS should become a cause. They are, after all, the ones who made the Kelo ruling, refuse to acknowledge that a fetus should be protected, and have steadily eroded individual freedoms by their judicial activism. That being said, even for a Chicago street thug, it was low-class of the filthy lying coward to get his co-conspirators in Congress to jeer them when they were his guests at the SOTU.

highhopes on January 29, 2010 at 2:28 PM

highhopes on January 29, 2010 at 2:14 PM

It was actually the GOP legislature that reduced VA-8, Moran’s district, to Alexandria and Arlington only. I guess they figured they would never beat him.

VA-11 was carved out of much of VA-8 and is more purple. Galactic POS Gerry Connolly represents it and has no business being in Congress. The GOP absolutely needs to pry that crook out of his seat. Keith Fimian came close to beating him in 2008… Connolly needs to go.

fiatboomer on January 29, 2010 at 2:30 PM

What good is this poll if Rossi is not running against Murray?

Several GOP candidates have thrown their hats into the ring to run against Murray: Clint Didier (yes, retired pro football player), Sean Salazar, Chris Widener, and Craig Williams. Any would be a vast improvement over that stupid rubber stamp.

atheling on January 29, 2010 at 2:30 PM

What good is this poll if Rossi is not running against Murray?

Shows that Murray may be vulnerable and helps attract funding and resources to whoever her opponent ends up being.

fiatboomer on January 29, 2010 at 2:32 PM

E. WA is awesome.
You can still be normal there.
Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 1:52 PM

But you can’t dig clams or crab there :)

What a mess they have made of a place which cannot support more than a million people due to lack of soil and high errosion rates. As much as I miss WA, and am glad I moved, what it was in the 70s, when I moved there, is what will live in my memory.

Friendly21 on January 29, 2010 at 2:42 PM

But you can’t dig clams or crab there :)

Friendly21 on January 29, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Another reason not live there is that I truly believe one day ‘soon’ (geologic soon) there will be a major nasty earthquake there.
Liquifcation, high pop. density, old buildings & roads= recipe for disaster.
As for clamming-I never liked to eat them-just dig them. I always gave them to the oriental people there.
But crab… ah how I miss Dungeoness crab… :(

Badger40 on January 29, 2010 at 2:46 PM

And yet, BHO practically repremanded the GOP retreat today, while Boehner, instead of getting on camera at noon and standing up to bullying and for the people, took on the same demeanor that we GOPers hate and said nothing about it. If the GOP hasn’t gotten the message from the American people yet (FIGHT BACK!), it never will.

madmonkphotog on January 29, 2010 at 2:48 PM

atheling on January 29, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Salazar’s a Ron Paul guy. I’d vote for him, but I’d have to clamp my nose with pliers.

nickj116 on January 29, 2010 at 2:48 PM

This statist is marked and she WILL be defeated. Obamamadinejad has created advocates up here in the liberal northwest to fight against his restructing of this great country. No one is this stupid, tonedeaf…which leaves the option of what he and Murray are doing to this country is on purpose…ie. health care, cap and trade, immigration come one come all, constitutional rights to terrorists. Nothing more than Wealth Redistribution/Statism cloaked in
the falacious idea of compassion.

goldwaterpunk on January 29, 2010 at 2:52 PM

much more extreme — very hot in summer, very cold in winter, like the midwest.

Splashman on January 29, 2010 at 1:51 PM

California is a lot like that. Close to the ocean it’s liberal and mild weather. Inland it’s conservative and desert (south) or cold and mountany (north)

Florida weather is more or less the same throughout the state. But politically north is very conservative, south is very liberal.

angryed on January 29, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I was stationed in Yakima, WA for three years. Pretty solid conservative place. They loved the Marine reserve company there and couldn’t do enough for them during the Gulf War. The other side of the Cascades was a different planet. When we returned from the war there was an initiative to have a welcome back ceremony in the capitol with a parade including the troops marching by. But, the city said we could only do it without our weapons. Told em no thanks and the initiative died.

Now live in No VA (sort of). Young couple on the right of me moved in about a year ago. Both educators from New Jersey. Loved NJ, but no jobs. Another young couple moved in to the left last week. Both medical professionals (nurse, physical therapist) from Philadelphia. Same story, no jobs in PA.

SoonerMarine on January 29, 2010 at 3:00 PM

nickj116 on January 29, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Me too. I prefer Clint Didier.

atheling on January 29, 2010 at 3:01 PM

JusDreamin on January 29, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Ha. Born and raised in Burien and just flew up today to visit family – S curves are still bad, but at least the drivers here are polite. And I agree -years ago, Wash was solidly democrat, but not liberal.

LASue on January 29, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Hey there Badger, I was one of those “desperate” sailors!

Grew up in Edmonds, then Seattle in the 70′s and 80′s. Graduated form O’dea high school, then enlisted in the Navy. I always wanted to move back when I ended my got out or retired. I even got stationed in Everett in 98-99, and still thought it was fine up there even if traffic had gotten somewhat worse.

That all changed when I went back for the first time since in 2008. I don’t really care to go back any more. It’s like the let all the nuts out of Fremont and put them in charge. There is no such thing as an ideological balance or even give-and-take. The old mayor wanted to stop bonfires on the beaches because of global warming (everyone has a wood fireplace), and refused to salt the roads during last winter’s snowstorm – he was worried about all that salt washing into Elliot Bay. A saltwater bay.

I still vote there (someone has to try to keep them in check), and get my car tabs cheap. At least until August, when I retire and have to declare residence either here in Virginia or wherever my new career takes me. But it won’t be WW. Eastern Washington, maybe.

JeffWeimer on January 29, 2010 at 3:57 PM

And I agree -years ago, Wash was solidly democrat, but not liberal.

LASue on January 29, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Two shining examples of non-liberal WA Democrats: Warren “Maggie” Magnuson and Henry “Scoop” Jackson. Didn’t always agree with them, but they weren’t corrupt anti-American nitwits like most libs nowadays. Both were very strong on national defense, for instance.

Splashman on January 29, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Does this mean democrats will to spend lots of money all over the U.S. come November?

Dhuka on January 29, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I’d really like to see her ship sink. She was one of the traitors who “rationalized” the 9-11 attack only days after it happened by saying that “Al Queda built schools” in the middle east and that is why people over there admire them. Which was complete hogwash.

HondaV65 on January 29, 2010 at 4:06 PM

i.e, he lost by the margin of fraud.

AZfederalist on January 29, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Splashman on January 29, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I’ve always considered myself a Scoop Jackson Democrat, and so would my folks. But I think the Democrat party has moved so far away from his pragmatism that I think he’d be a Republican in this day and age. And I’m old enough to remember him and his primary run for President.

JeffWeimer on January 29, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Splashman on January 29, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Yes! (My mom knew Scoop Jackson back when he was a sports reporter.) I liked Dixie Lee Ray, too – another conservative democrat.

LASue on January 29, 2010 at 4:52 PM

oh my!

BigMike252 on January 29, 2010 at 5:24 PM

As I’ve done in the past couple of elections, I’ll be happy to throw away my vote to Dino this November.

Look, Dino’s a good guy (I met him the first time he ran for governor) but he’s gonna lose because there’s absolutely no swing vote here; it’s 70% libtard and 30% normal Americans… that’s not even counting all the dead voters.

The only thing moderate in western Washington State is the climate.

ScottMcC on January 29, 2010 at 5:27 PM

For more info on the 5 (so far) candidates running against Murray go to Shoreline Caucus. One candidate against Inslee is James Watkins.

valentine on January 29, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Oregon voted for a higher income tax on Tuesday. I heard Portland talk show host Lars Larson say that there are 3M adults in Oregon. Out of that, 10% are employed by the government with another 15% on a government pension. 20% are on food stamps or state assistance. Teachers urged students to tell their parents to vote ‘yes’ and unions yelled ‘stop the bleeding’ so the marketing for higher taxes was ‘excellent’. Oregon has the 2nd highest tax rate in the WORLD with Denmark being 1st. Larson suspects that Oregon has reached the tipping point and may be the bellwether for the rest of the nation.

He commented that government taxes cigarettes to discourage smoking, casinos to discourage gambling, pollution to reduce CO2, liquor to discourage drinking and now small business to discourage/reduce employment. He concluded with ‘government kills its host’. How simple! How succinct!

valentine on January 29, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Oh please let this hag be voted out of my state!

MichelleC on January 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM

I remember when Patty-cake (thanks!) got into the news for telling some highschoolers about how Bin Laden did so much for the Afghans after the Soviets were ejected, like building daycares, etc., which “we didn’t do”.

So I asked her if it was our job to build daycares everywhere, and get attacked for failing to do so. She said she was trying to coach “critical thinking” among the highschoolers, and I asked her how she was qualified to coach at a sport she had never played. What a toolette.

She is just another example of the fatuously foolish who are just certain that if we are nice to everyone, they will love us. The idea that there are those who hate us because of our religion, political system, or wealth, and find those things complete justification for killing us is just beyond their comprehension.

They are like children in a kindergarten who have no idea of how dangerous it is outside the schoolyard unless you have a grownup along to protect you. They find that reality so saddening that they deny it is reality, and mock the grownups who protect them for inventing boogey-men.

drunyan8315 on January 29, 2010 at 5:48 PM

vote them out, or wind up needing to burn them out.

rayra on January 29, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I haven’t been following closely, but I’m guessing Rossi is more likely to make a third attempt at the governor’s office (against Gregoire to who is signaling she plans to run for a third term) then run for senator.

Sackett on January 29, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Retiring Patty Murray would be a great start. Retiring Maria Cantwell, and our governor, Christine “Call-me-Chris-I’m-one-of-the-boys” Gregoire would be very helpful. Unfortunately, I’d say it isn’t likely. The Dems found manufactured enough votes to steal the election from Rossi, and I’m sure the nice folks in Seattle will manage to do it again. As noted, the rural areas are moderate or conservative, but all the urbanized areas on Puget Sound and in Spokane are way off the left margin of the chart.

Orson Buggeigh on January 30, 2010 at 10:29 AM

I’m all for getting the this tennis shoe wearing lib out of the Senate. Give a choice I’d rather see Cantwell go first, the gob-stopping moron. But beggars can’t be choosers!

hburns on January 30, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Yes,in Washington state where I live it seems like its impossible to elect a Republican candidate for national office. If we could snip off King, Snohomish, Pierce, counties we could have a possibility of a red state. I live in the south central part near the Oregon border so its rather conservative. All of our ladies are pro amnesty, state income tax, and against nuclear energy. All are pro abortion as well.

garydt on January 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM

atheling on January 29, 2010 at 2:30 PM

nickj116 on January 29, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I just came from a Salazar meet-and-greet in Mason County. Deb (his campaign manager) was adamant that he is NOT a Paulbot. I can tell you this much – he is as refreshing as Sarah is. He has good solid plans (not just ideas) and he flat out promised to NEVER vote for taxes or increased gubmint spending. He also said no earmarks.

I sense he is going to take her out. And I’m always right. :) BTW, Rossi is not running against Murray. He has said so privately (to Luke Esser, IIRC). I do not think he is willing to run against Queen Christine again, either.

Patty is having a fund raiser at the Westin on 2/12 and we will throw a tea party for her out front. We just want her to feel the love.

platypus on January 31, 2010 at 12:04 AM

As I recall, Patty had no idea what a payroll tax is. She is hardly the person you want making economic decisions.

diogenes on January 31, 2010 at 2:07 AM