Cato video-fisks the State of the Union speech

posted at 4:37 pm on January 28, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The one thing that united Democrats and Republicans, Barack Obama said last night, was that “we all hated the bank bailout.” If so, then why is Obama demanding financial reform that would create a perpetual authority to create more bailouts? That’s one of the questions Cato Institute asks in this video fisking of the State of the Union speech, and it’s by far not the only issue Cato found with Obama’s laundry-list agenda:

High points:

• Education – Obama talked about the reform he funded in Porkulus, but as Neal McClusky points out, only a tiny fraction went to any kind of reform program at all, Race to the Top.  The massive subsidies to the states ensured that they put off reforms in education by papering over the budget gaps that might have finally pushed states to start.
  • Student aid – McClusky reminds people that higher education is supposed to make people more competitive in job markets — so why should taxpayers subsidize student-loan defaults?
  • Health-insurance premiums, deficits – Michael Tanner reminds everyone that the bill Obama praised as a way to lower premiums will have the opposite effect.  The CBO has already announced that it will increase premiums faster than if Congress passes no bill at all.  As for trillions of dollars in deficit savings, that’s “smoke and mirrors” accounting, relying on a shell game with the “doctor fix.”

Any good news?  Well, yes, on earmark reform.  It may not be as sexy as a spending freeze, but if one eliminated all earmarks (and then didn’t subsequently appropriate the money from them), we’d save more on that than on Obama’s freeze.

It seems that both the media and the advocates have exposed most of Obama’s rhetorical exaggerations and flights of fancy already.  The most memorable line from the SOTU speech may be two words that didn’t come out of Obama’s mouth: “Not true!”  And Cato doesn’t miss the opportunity to underscore that specific issue, either.  Watch it all.

Update: Darn it, Glenn also called it a video fisking before I had a chance to get the post published.  Well, great minds, etc etc.

Comments

so much news today that you are not able to keep up with Glenn..It’s okay…..we won’t hold this against you…

hawkman on January 28, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Darn it, Glenn also called it a video fisking before I had a chance to get the post published. Well, great minds, etc etc.

I’ve learned a new word today. It’s in wikipedia, too. Poor Mr. Fisk.

unclesmrgol on January 28, 2010 at 4:42 PM

The video would be okay except after watching it live last night I just can’t force myself to suffer more of it.

fourdeucer on January 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM

It’s a payoff to His leftist academic friends.

Not everyone needs to or should go to college.

rbj on January 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM

You know things are bad when you lose your cheerleader …

First, Massachusetts turned on the president.

Now, the bikini-clad “Obama Girl” — who fa mously cooed about her “crush” throughout the presidential campaign on YouTube videos — admits the thrill is gone.

Amber Lee Ettinger — the buxom sensa tion who lip-synched about her love for then-candidate Barack Obama — said she wishes he spent his first year in office more fo cused on fixing the abysmal economy.

“I think he’s doing an OK job,” said Ettinger, whose original “Crush on Obama” video, first shown in 2007, has had more than 16.5 million views on YouTube.

“I know he’s getting a lot of flak for things that he’s not doing,” she told The Post. “In my opinion, I feel like he should be focusing a lot more on jobs and the economy.”

J_Crater on January 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Sad, that so many buy this crap.

Sure, we hated the bailout but we did it anyway.

No, libs–it’s not the same as hating the surgery needed to remove the cancer.

It’s more like, “we hate the taste of shit but we gobbled anyway.”

Necessary surgery isn’t an elective. Eating shit when you have other choices, however, is. Get the difference?

Liam on January 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Not everyone needs to or should go to college.

rbj on January 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Not only would the loans be subsidized they would be forgiven after 10 years if the collegiate entered public service. Now that is just so progressive to encourage more people to become community organizers.

fourdeucer on January 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I agree with all except the last part regarding the current state of Iraq.

Rod on January 28, 2010 at 4:53 PM

“That’s one of the questions Cato Institute asks in this video fisking fisting of the State of the Union speech…”

It’s almost like the Cato Institute thinks that Obowma knows what he is dong in the first place.

Seven Percent Solution on January 28, 2010 at 4:53 PM

we are turning into Japan.

upinak on January 28, 2010 at 4:54 PM

fourdeucer on January 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM

And a total abrogation of personal responsibility, no matter what good parents taught them.

If Big Daddy lets you off the hook, how dare those who raised you complain? Screw their values! Big Daddy matters so much more!

Liam on January 28, 2010 at 4:55 PM

You know things are bad when you lose your cheerleader…

J_Crater on January 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM

That’s one hot chica. She’s a “no-daddy-no” girl, that’s for sure.

Hmmm hmmm hmmm

TXUS on January 28, 2010 at 4:56 PM

you lie!

TTheoLogan on January 28, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Just curious – When Reagan, Bush 1, or Bush 2 gave the SOTU, were media outlets able to pick them apart and expose the blatant lies like they can with OGumbi?

AubieJon on January 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Not everyone needs to or should go to college.

rbj on January 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I totally agree.
Half of my college education (all 7 yrs for an undergrad degree-what can I say? Changed majors.) was a complete waste of time.
The other half was useful.
These tech schools are great for a lot of people & I encourage my students to really consider them over college degrees.
In the long run, many tech programs will get you making more $$ faster.
I can certainly say this is true when I look at my public school teaching salary.
I only do it bcs I get to work a small part of the year.
That’s a bonus for me.
But if I wanted $$, I’d definitely be out in the oil fields right now.

Badger40 on January 28, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Liam on January 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM

+10
LMAO!

Badger40 on January 28, 2010 at 5:01 PM

College is not a right. College is something you achieve, if you elect to go. Obama is Chavez, Jr.

kingsjester on January 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM

But if I wanted $$, I’d definitely be out in the oil fields right now.

Badger40 on January 28, 2010 at 5:00 PM

A routaboubt makes good money. But it is hard work. The trades in oil. to be in.. welding, pipes (plumbers or pipelayers), and last but not least…. techie fields for drilling or other drilling items.

upinak on January 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM

AubieJon on January 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM

There weren’t lies. There was no grandstanding, no casting both aspersions and blame. Not even Nixon railed in the SCOTUS in such an address.

Neither did Carter, nor Clinton. And you know what is felt here about them.

Obowmao hit a new low, and so did an entire political party that claims it loves America and all of us, too.

It all was, in the end, a truly bad show.

Liam on January 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Is anyone distracted by Biden’s hand, about forty seconds in?

I apologize – I know he’s scratching one hand with the other, but it looks like a gesture I’ve seen people make when they’re listening to B/S. : )

capitalist piglet on January 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Neither did Carter, nor Clinton. And you know what is felt here about them.

It all was, in the end, a truly bad show.

Liam on January 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM

That’s what I thought. Last year I missed Reagan. Now I miss Clinton.

AubieJon on January 28, 2010 at 5:05 PM

That’s what I thought. Last year I missed Reagan. Now I miss Clinton.

AubieJon on January 28, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Becareful what you wish for Aubie.

upinak on January 28, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Becareful what you wish for Aubie.

upinak on January 28, 2010 at 5:06 PM

I’m being fassee…I’m being facesci…I’m trying to be funny.

AubieJon on January 28, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Kind of off topic but how could the Democrats get 60 votes to increase the debt limit? I thought Kirk was no longer able to vote.What happened to waiting for Brown?

CCRWM on January 28, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Why is this man still voting in the Senate…

He cast the 60th vote today to raise the debt ceiling by $1.9 trillion. He is now the deciding vote, and his vote is illegal.

Paging OmahaConservative. I’m sorry, maybe my memory is faulty but isn’t there someone else who’s supposed to have this seat from Massachusetts? What happened to that?

UnderstandingisPower on January 28, 2010 at 5:10 PM

techie fields for drilling or other drilling items.

upinak on January 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM

No manual labor for me.
I would be taking my Geo degree for one of those jobs.

Badger40 on January 28, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Cato continues to live in denial about Iraq, though.

amerpundit on January 28, 2010 at 5:11 PM

That’s what I thought. Last year I missed Reagan. Now I miss Clinton.

AubieJon on January 28, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I miss Reagan so bad, but not Clinton. But, at least Clinton had the savvy and–class–to go with the will of the people. And, more to Clinton’s credit than I want to admit (though, to be honest, I have to) Clinton walked up to Rush in a NYC restaurant and introduced himself. According to Rush, it was a good time.

Clinton has a level of class, an ability to be respectful. Obowmao can’t match that in any way.

As for Reagan…I was a lib when Reagan came into Office. He changed me in many ways, as well as my life at the time.

I revere Reagan, and give respect to Clinton. But of Obowmao–never.

Liam on January 28, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Neither did Carter, nor Clinton. And you know what is felt here about them.

It all was, in the end, a truly bad show.

Liam on January 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM

It’s just like Beck said, this speech proves that he isn’t just a politician, he is a radical and he’s following the Saul Allinsky blueprint to the the T. He didn’t try to triangulate, he simple said full speed ahead.

MobileVideoEngineer on January 28, 2010 at 5:13 PM

“Fisking” ???

“Fisk” is the Norwegian word for FISH.

Video Fishing?

HondaV65 on January 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM

UnderstandingisPower on January 28, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Yes, where is he?

Yesterday’s Koterba cartoon.

OmahaConservative on January 28, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Badger40 on January 28, 2010 at 5:10 PM

depends on the geo degree. You have normal geo, petro geo and hydro geo with soil scientist (all low paying, but you will always have a job) then you have petro-chemical, petro-hydro, petro-paleo, petro-seismic, petro-grahic (they are like seismic but make the pretty pics), petro-startagrahic, petro-geo-exploratory, petro-geo… can you tell I can go on and on?

The top jobs in oil and gas are those who 1. can open their own business. 2. petro-engineering (directional) 3. petro-attorney and 4. petro-business management. Yeah… I know.

upinak on January 28, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Any good news? Well, yes, on earmark reform. It may not be as sexy as a spending freeze

I am still an insulation man.

WashJeff on January 28, 2010 at 5:20 PM

HondaV65 on January 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Fisking

OmahaConservative on January 28, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Has anyone comeup with the number of demoncraps who wore the color of thugs ( SEIU), i.e shades of purple, mauve or eggplant ? Both Biden and Policei did, and probably MO too, so did Incompetano ..but I’m pretty sure there were more purple ties and jackets ,blouses, shirts, and scarves yesterday

macncheez on January 28, 2010 at 5:27 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on January 28, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Truly good points, but I see a few things more.

Politics is a vehicle for Obowmao, nothing more. It’s a place for him to win accolades, rather than him having a commitment to the profession. He truly doesn’t seek better for those around him, but rather hungers for the attention.

Failures aren’t his concern, long as people notice him. That’s his thing.

If a person truly wanted to be noted for posterity, he’d be after things that make him worthy; he’d want successes. He’d want to make a mark that gives the most to the most-many.

But Obowmao doesn’t care about that. He wants the notice right now. He refuses to think of the future, or of the many, or of those things that are beyond his mortality–like the United States of America.

You know, you libs–you revile Nixon but at least he had the good grace and sense to resign rather than commit further disgraces. Your Obowmao can never do that.

You libs love your country, you care about the better good? Then maybe bail on this guy who’s using you like a john buys a street hooker.

Quit being prostitutes and do for yourselves, rather than letting a con artist speak for you, an abuser who leaves you to always defend him.

Liam on January 28, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Liam on January 28, 2010 at 5:28 PM

This was not directed at you,

MobileVideoEngineer on January 28, 2010 at 5:13 PM

My mistake for not noting that as an aside. Apologies to you, please!

Liam on January 28, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Liam on January 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I like the cut of your jib, Pilgrim!

BobMbx on January 28, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I’ve learned a new word today. It’s in wikipedia, too. Poor Mr. Fisk.unclesmrgol on January 28, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I did too! I like that word.

scalleywag on January 28, 2010 at 5:37 PM

This was not directed at you,

MobileVideoEngineer on January 28, 2010 at 5:13 PM

My mistake for not noting that as an aside. Apologies to you, please!

Liam on January 28, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Oh I know and a lot of what you say Beck said as well. He and his “progressive” colleagues are taking over the Democrat party and they want the good and honorable Democrats out. Ed Schultz even said that they need to drive the moderates out.

MobileVideoEngineer on January 28, 2010 at 5:41 PM

not sure what it means, but is a fisking like a fisting…? I sure hope not.

ted c on January 28, 2010 at 5:41 PM

UnderstandingisPower on January 28, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Good question. One the media should be raising.

scalleywag on January 28, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Facts, schmacks. If Obama says it, it will happen!

LASue on January 28, 2010 at 5:52 PM

The site is still here:

Look up how Porkulus is spent, and consider this:

“It’s a plan that will save or create 3 to 4 million jobs over the next few years” ~ President Obama in January 2009

Well, THAT plan didn’t work. I know! Let’s throw some more BILLIONS at the problem! That’ll show them I MEAN BUSINESS!

Putz…

Roy Rogers on January 28, 2010 at 5:58 PM

WTF!!!! Why on God’s green earth is Kirk being allowed to vote- isn’t that unconstitutional- oh I forgot, constitutional doesn’t matter anymore – my head is about to explode allover my computer keyboard – I’ll never get all the bits cleaned up!!! Can’t ‘(we) the people’ of Massachusette demand they re vote this, since it should not be a legal vote? Why isn’t Fox all over this- they should NOT be allowed to vote on raising the debt ceiling or ANYTHING else until Scott Brown is seated and sworn in- this is treasonous!!!!!!!!!!!

huskerdiva on January 28, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Quick question on this- someone told me your student loans are null and void 10 years after you start paying, whether paid off or not. That HAS to be incorrect. Anyone know off-hand? If that’s the case I should have been deferring them instead of aggressively paying them off. This Orwellian world is starting to mess with my head.

NTWR on January 28, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Cato continues to live in denial about Iraq, though.

amerpundit on January 28, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Yeah, I hadn’t realized that before. It really ruined the end for me.

29Victor on January 28, 2010 at 6:26 PM

He is STILL campaigning! That’s all the worthless fool is capable of…

jgdp on January 28, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Poor Mr. Fisk.

unclesmrgol on January 28, 2010 at 4:42 PM

No, no, no, no, no, no. Mr. Fisk is a World Class ass-wipe, such that no one else was qualified to have their name serve this purpose. Fisking is the right word.

Jaibones on January 28, 2010 at 7:42 PM

OT:

Mrs. Obama is the new obesity czar.

justltl on January 28, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Question:

Would Federal Student college loans be available to students who attend Catholic/Lutheran/Jewish colleges? With or without strings attached?

journeyintothewhirlwind on January 29, 2010 at 12:39 AM

this is treasonous!!!!!!!!!!!

huskerdiva on January 28, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Welcome to the party. I believe NOW you have your eyes open. No, the senate is not going to send Paul Kirk home. Yes, we will be taking over the house and senate THIS November.
Yes, it is a shame, travesty, and a usurpation. However, try to calm yourself with these thoughts: Imagine what proceedings will begin 1/21/11. Imagine unlimited virtual tar and feathers. Imagine a Conservative controlled congress with veto override voting. Imagine not having to hear from ObowMao ever again. Remember, impeached idiots don’t get retirement packages. They get run out of town on a rail.

Blacksmith8 on January 29, 2010 at 8:50 AM

While I’m on the subject:
Imagine Mike Pence, Speaker of the House
Imagine Jim DeMint, Senate President pro tem
Imagine, after ObowMao is removed, soon to be ex-President Biden suddenly learns of the scandal involving himself, his son Hunter, and some financial investment group that has been operating for five years without the necessary SEC and NASD licenses. Is that a crime? yes Does he know? yes Say goodbye Joe!

For the bonus round: Imagine, whoever you like as the Speaker of the House, because in reality there is no rule that the Speaker be an elected representative from any state whatsoever.

Blacksmith8 on January 29, 2010 at 8:58 AM