Breaking: Bachmann withdraws from Tea Party convention

posted at 12:55 pm on January 28, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The controversy over next week’s Tea Party Convention in Nashville has generated a major change in the agenda.  Rep. Michele Bachmann has withdrawn from the event after questions were raised over the handling of revenues by the organizers.  David Dziok, Bachmann’s Communications Director, sent me a message just a few minutes ago:

Due to conflicting advice on whether Congresswoman Bachmann’s participation in the upcoming Tea Party Nation Convention would be in line with the Committee on Standards, Congresswoman Bachmann has decided not to participate in the event. There is uncertainty about how any proceeds from the event may be used, and we must err on the side of caution. Some will want to portray her withdrawal as a repudiation of the Tea Party Movement, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. Congresswoman Bachmann remains encouraged by all Americans, regardless of political party, who are concerned about this nation’s future and dwindling prosperity, and continues to be inspired their passion.

Bachmann was one of two featured speakers at the event, the other being Sarah Palin, who is still scheduled to appear at the convention.

I have asked Judson Phillips, the event’s organizer, for his reaction and will update this post as developments occur.

Update: For more on the background of the controversy, please see this post.  The biggest issues were the fact that the event charged $500 per attendee on a for-profit basis and that organizers reportedly used personal PayPal accounts, at least initially, to process purchases.  I interviewed Eric Odom of the ALA, one of the sponsoring organizations that pulled out, and also got a full response from Judson Phillips at that time.

Update II: I spoke with Judson on the phone, who had yet to hear directly from Bachmann’s office.  Marsha Blackburn also withdrew, but told Judson that she supported the event, but the House Ethics Committee told her they would not approve her appearance.  Whether that had anything to do with Bachmann’s decision is unclear, although Bachmann’s statement does mention the Committee on Standards and may have been told the same thing.  Judson will have a statement later today when he catches up with all the developments.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

No biggee…I’ll just have to catch Michele Bachmann at some other venue. I’m still going and looking forward to it. Should be lots and lots of interesting people there to discuss strategy with.

speed on January 29, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Now that it’s becoming part of the GOP establishment I am quickly losing any support I had for it.

rjl1999 on January 29, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Its becoming part of the GOP establishment? How so?
Itchee Dryback on January 29, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Well if the Republican party merges with the Tea Party as Palin suggests how does the Tea Party not become a right wing group?

rjl1999 on January 29, 2010 at 2:49 PM

rjl1999 on January 29, 2010 at 2:49 PM

It was by definition always a conservative group. Right from the first moment. Why not show a little backbone and embrace it?

el gordo on January 29, 2010 at 5:06 PM

el gordo on January 29, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Yes it was always conservative but it was also grassroots. I am showing backbone, by embracing it as long it is about doing whats right for the citizens and doesn’t become an offshoot of the same old politics and ditching it if it does.

rjl1999 on January 29, 2010 at 6:20 PM

I can tell you that when I attended a tea party here in MI, I met lots and lots and lots of Democrats. It is grassroots, and it is conservative in the message of fiscal responsibility. The GOP had better not think this movement is all about them. Palin does attract the independent voter as well as fiscally conservative Democrats. Personally if I were a sitting senator, I would not attend. Palin’s keynote speech should be very interesting to watch.

shar61 on January 30, 2010 at 8:08 AM

This convention needs to die, and I’m glad that Bachmann pretty much kills it. Palin is gonna look dumb being there still.

Apologetic California on January 28, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Yeah , not like super genius Bachman.

I don’t get our side’s obsession here, I am sorry. This is not an earth-shattering catastrophe here is it ?

cableguy615 on January 30, 2010 at 10:32 AM

F the Democrat, F the Republican, F the Tea, F the Libertarian.

Vote IndividualsConservative.