J.D. Hayworth: Where’s the birth certificate?

posted at 3:37 pm on January 27, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via HuffPo, looks like that DSCC memo about making this an issue in the midterms is already paying off. You’re a good soldier, Chris Matthews!

This isn’t going to be a huge issue between him and McCain — there are plenty of other things Maverick can attack him over — but now that Hayworth’s taken the bait, only the very dumbest left-leaning reporter or debate moderator would fail to press the two of them on this subject. Which means more ink for a fringe issue that’s not going anywhere (Obama would be nuts to produce the certificate at this point given the political mileage he gets from it) and plenty of opportunities for the media to convince centrists that the “teabagger” movement is, in its entirety, all about paranoia over Obama being a foreigner. Why Obama’s official state certification of live birth isn’t good enough continues to elude me, but so it goes. I hereby denounce myself for being a RINO. Exit question: FreedomWorks isn’t targeting McCain in the primary? Hmmmm.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Round One

fight!

blatantblue on January 27, 2010 at 3:39 PM

GTFOut of the race. You’re an embarrassment, and not helping.

Abby Adams on January 27, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Good God, when will this issue go away?????? (Face Palm)

search4truth on January 27, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Gee, still think Palin’s dumb for hitching her wagon to McCain in the primary?

Doughboy on January 27, 2010 at 3:40 PM

JD committed a self error.

portlandon on January 27, 2010 at 3:40 PM

And people said Palin was the stupid one… why?

Enoxo on January 27, 2010 at 3:41 PM

So….. While I don’t buy into the whole “Birther” thing, I gotta know. I have a copy of my BC in my WALLET. I carry it around every day. I got a laminated copy from the state when I was 18. Go figure. I’m a nobody, yet I can prove my Citizenship, even though my mother is From Italy, and I was born just a few years after she came to America.

viviliberoomuori on January 27, 2010 at 3:41 PM

So oft in constitutional wars
The disputants, I ween
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean
And speculate about a mysterious Birth Certificate
Not one of them has ever been allowed to have seen!

Cheshire Cat on January 27, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Allah hearts JD

fiatboomer on January 27, 2010 at 3:42 PM

That screencap of Hayworth is way too Jack Nicholson for me.

pugwriter on January 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM

“— but now that Hayworth’s taken the bait…”

J.D., please read Hot Air.

… We gave you the answers to this yesterday.

Seven Percent Solution on January 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Okay… who in here actually sent him money?

upinak on January 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM

See you later, JD.

The Ugly American on January 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Like the Town Halls and the Tea Parties, most Americans agree that, at the very least, The Precedent should have to provide evidence that he is eligible, including passports, other citizenships, college transcripts, …

And most Americans are appalled at the idea that a dual citizen can be President (as the Founders would be totally disgusted by that proposition).

neurosculptor on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Good God, when will this issue go away?????? (Face Palm)

search4truth on January 27, 2010 at 3:40 PM

When Zero finally produces one.

There’s nothing wrong with someone bringing it up. However, I think it’s a good idea (politically speaking) for a candidate for the US Senate not to make an issue out of it.

UltimateBob on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I watched this live. Matthews has been asking EVERY GOP lately if they

A) are birthers
B) think palin can be qualified for president
C) believe in evolution

Hayworth’s answer wasn’t bad. what he SHOULD have said is “obviously obama IS a citizen, but since you asked, it’s annoying i have to show my bc to get a drivers license, and john mccain needed an ACT OF CONGRESS to prove his citizenship, but obama does nothing. what is shows is his LACK OF TRANSPARENCY..” and then go into a tirade about c-span and healthcare, putting bills online for 5 days before votes, etc.

there’s a way out: admit he’s a citizen, but say “isnt if funny mccain had to prove it, and it just shows how secretive barack is”

picklesgap on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I’ll just repeat what I said in the headlines…

Obama’s numbers are falling like rocks! His own supporters are turning on him! Democrats are in danger of losing tons of seats! The country is veering right once again!

SO LET’S BRING UP THE BIRTHER BULLS**T AND F**K IT ALL UP! YAYYYYYYY!

MadisonConservative on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Okay… who in here actually sent him money?

upinak on January 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Not I.

Enoxo on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Has Obama ever said what happened to the original birth certificate? If anyone knows one way or the other or has a link, I’d appreciate knowing. I’m not a birther, but I can’t believe he simply won’t produce it if he has it. Is he that cynnical, witholding it to score political points? Frankly, I’m the same age as Obama and I have no idea where my original birth certificate is. It was lost long ago. When I need proof, I get a certification of live birth from the county where I was born.

WordsMatter on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Chrissy is always at the top of the BHO defense team. He’s wanting to bring back that loving feeling again.

d1carter on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

neurosculptor on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

That’s what I was saying. Great minds…..

UltimateBob on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Um, any “door number 3″ candidates out there?

Count to 10 on January 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM

If Barry were anyone but the God Who Walks, the press would have beaten this drum until a birth certificate was produced. If they weren’t terrified of the possible answer, they’d have done it by now just to rub “Birthers’” noses in it. There are sufficient discrepancies in the documents and their stories to make you at least say, “Huh?”

Sugar Land on January 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Chrissy is always at the top of the BHO defense team. He’s wanting to bring back that loving tingling feeling again.

d1carter on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

FIFY

UltimateBob on January 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM

The same people who were wringing their hands about the “screaming at Town Halls and Tea Parties” are the ones who are trying to convince people that requiring evidence from The Precedent is an unpopular position. They were wrong then and they are dead wrong now. You’ll see in JD’s numbers.

neurosculptor on January 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM

The Right could have money bombed McCain into retirement but they are going to have to find someone who will not fall into every trap set for him.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2010 at 3:46 PM

The other day Hayworth attacked McCain for enabling Obama’s agenda. This is nonsense of course and between this and the certificate we are seeing Hayworth act more like a provocative radio host then a serious primary challenger. That alone should disqualify him, what is striking is that if there was a ever a candidate open a principled challenge from the right on many issues, it is McCain.

rob verdi on January 27, 2010 at 3:46 PM

This is a legit issue because Obama has made it so. He went to school on a foreign student aid program saying he was not a citizen of the US. It is illegal to do this which should exclude him from office. It is also illegal to renounce your citizenship (believe it or not). He should explain this. If he was a republican this would have been HUGE during the campaign. It’s not the liberal media that promotes the double standard, it’s RHINOS like Allah and you. He should also have at least been ASKED once why and when he decided to take his muslim name back after growing up Barry.

Redglen on January 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM

picklesgap,
Step one in showing judgment should be Not Going on the Program.

rob verdi on January 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Exit Question: Should conservative bloggers take a second look at Palin’s endorsement of RINO McCain?

davek70 on January 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I get a certification of live birth from the county where I was born.

WordsMatter on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

You are kidding, aren’t you?
He has produced the actual birth certificate they use in Hawaii…sheeesh!

right2bright on January 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Other than with some at Hotair it’s more like mils than miles.

MB4 on January 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM

The more it gets brought up, the more people wonder what Barry is hiding. I think it is a net gain.

neurosculptor on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Vashta.Nerada on January 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM

He just earned my vote!

PaulMorphy on January 27, 2010 at 3:49 PM

A

bby Adams on January 27, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Agree completely. Anyone else in the primary?

changer1701 on January 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM

UltimateBob on January 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Thanks…it was a reference to the old Righteous Brothers song…

d1carter on January 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM

AP,
as I said yesterday, the state certification is the only one you get. It eludes me as well.

Aloha

alohapundit on January 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Too bad. McCain is part of the problem and Hayworth might have at least forced McCain to move to the right.

Mark Levin has said that McCain and his people are throwing fast and inside at Hayworth to blow him up. I suspect there may be some truth here but Hayworth does himself no favors by getting into this morass.

R Square on January 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I hereby denounce myself for being a RINO.

Classic.

The Race Card on January 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if Hillary brought this up next year?

Vashta.Nerada on January 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I thought they’d at least wait ’til the Sunday Follies to do the DSCC’s bidding. I guess Chrissy got a thrill up his leg or something….

hillbillyjim on January 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM

neurosculptor on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I got mine. You got yours. Where’s Barry’s?

BetseyRoss on January 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2010 at 3:46 PM

True, but how? GOP candidates would have to agree to FOX appearances exclusively. The lamestream media is gotcha-journalism from aplha to omega.

pugwriter on January 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if Hillary brought this up next year?

Vashta.Nerada on January 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Remember when she floated the assassination theory. She’s a future-birther for sure. Bill will do it for her if she doesn’t bring it up.

The Race Card on January 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I still don’t get it. Why is this a disqualifier? I agree that is a non-issue in regards to president, but polls has shown that a majority of Republican Primary voters already share JD Hayworth’s sentiment.

I don’t even think it would hurt him in the general election. No voter is going into the booth saying “Well, I wanted to support the more conservative candidate, but because he asked a question about Obama’s BC I will pull the lever for Democrat”. Sorry, I am not buying it.

Norwegian on January 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I’d be more interested in seeing his grade transcripts and the courses.

AubieJon on January 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Anyone here doubt that these questions will coincidentally be the ones on the MSM’s lips all of a sudden? Can’t wait for the Sunday Follies.

hillbillyjim on January 27, 2010 at 12:11 AM

hillbillyjim on January 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM

WHAT MILEAGE? NO ONE is going to “SWITCH SIDES” because of this!!

gosh, i get so mad at those on our side that are “EMBARRASSED” about the birthers…. yall act as if there is some great mass of suburban moms out there undecided on obama, but hearing someone question barack will send them to cry on pelosi’s shoulder.

did having the left accuse bush of murdering 3,000 new yorkers raise W’s approval rating?

ok, then let the birthers ask, and let him deny.

personally, i think saying “how come john mccain needed an act of congress – literally – to prove his citizenship?” is the bes route

picklesgap on January 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM

davek70 on January 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM

No need to for me. I never had a problem with her supporting McCain. People need to seriously chill out. Everything the woman has done since the 2008 election has worked out brilliantly. Have a little faith.

Doughboy on January 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Allah,

I think you and the dems do not understand what this issue is doing in middle america. its a matter of trust. Many people do not any reason NOt to release the BC therefore they think he has something to hide. Once you go there that Obama is actively hiding something formt he American people then it becomes very very easy to paint Obama has a liar, a person not out for the good of the country. Etc etc. The media calls those that want the BC out in the open nuts crazy people etc much like they called the Tea party people the same thing.

This is another major miscalculation by the dems. If Obama would have produced the BC at the time of the election then alot of the right’s storyline (marxist, muslim, liar, soros funded etc ) would not have had the seed to grow in the minds of middle america. you think his poll numbers do not reflect his failure to show all his consitutional qualifications for the job?

When someone hides something it puts everything else they do in a negative light.

This is a net negative for Obama and the polls show that it is.

unseen on January 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Thanks for the link about Abermoff (sic?) I have wondered why he lost his seat in the house. Party guy and I don’t mean Tea Party.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Redglen on January 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM

You are what gives conservatives bad names…where did you receive such “pap”.
Do you believe everything you read?
This is why birthers are so dangerous, they make all the conservatives look like fools…

right2bright on January 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM

You are kidding, aren’t you?
He has produced the actual birth certificate they use in Hawaii…sheeesh!

right2bright on January 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM

He has? My impression was that it was a certification produced by the State of Hawaii at the campaign’s request based on state records, and that the state’s copy was destroyed when the went fully digital in the 90s. My county does not have a copy of my original BC. They have electronic record of my birth and print out certifications of live birth based on that data.

WordsMatter on January 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM

You know, if people want to hammer Obama about not releasing information… do so on him not releasing his college records or even medical records.

But the birth certificate is folly as he did release it.

Enoxo on January 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I’d be more interested in seeing his grade transcripts and the courses.

AubieJon on January 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Why? We already know he’s an idiot. Do we really need to see the classes he took that helped him become one?

lorien1973 on January 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Thanks Allah for posting it here.

mizflame98 on January 27, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Redglen on January 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Guess what? He’s in office, so none of that matters anyway. Sure I would’ve loved to have known a ton more about his background, including his college transcripts and more of his papers, but in the fall of 2008 the majority of voters didn’t care about that stuff. He won, and he’ll be there at least until January 2013. I don’t know what is to be accomplished by constantly wading into the conspiracy theory stuff, other than to fall right into the narrative the Left likes to paint.

changer1701 on January 27, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Here’s a clue. The Federal Election Commission should have required it, eh?

paul1149 on January 27, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Good enough for what? I think the very first time you mentioned this topic you said the eligibility clause of the Constitution is crap so I guess we would need to feel the same way about the Constitution before we could be as eluded by everything.

It certainly isn’t good enough to prove that Obama is a natural born citizen since it in no way informs as to many citizenships the person was born with. You can’t be a natural born citizen of two or three different nations and still be a natural born US citizen.

Buddahpundit on January 27, 2010 at 3:54 PM

davek70 on January 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I don’t see why.

If they support her because of her LOYALTY, then this doesn’t change anything.

If they support her because of her smart STRATEGY, then it appears JD isn’t picking the right strategy at the moment.

If they don’t support her because they believe she’s INTERFERING in a primary that the locals should be involved in, then well, nothing changes.

Finally, this doesn’t make either McCain or JD more conservative… so…

MeatHeadinCA on January 27, 2010 at 3:55 PM

<blockquoteHe went to school on a foreign student aid program saying he was not a citizen of the US. It is illegal to do this which should exclude him from office. It is also illegal to renounce your citizenship (believe it or not).

What Birther site did you get this from? I have seen ZERO evidence of any of that, and no it is not illegal to renounce your citizenship, and no evidence that any of it happened.

Just when the GOP was making some traction, the Birthers will come along and screw it all up. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory..

firepilot on January 27, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I’ll just repeat what I said in the headlines…

SO LET’S BRING UP THE BIRTHER BULLS**T AND F**K IT ALL UP! YAYYYYYYY!

MadisonConservative on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I seem to recall you making the same prediction every time this matter is brought up yet his support keeps falling anyway.

MB4 on January 27, 2010 at 3:55 PM

This isn’t going to be a huge issue between him and McCain…

It will be with voters tho…

JetBoy on January 27, 2010 at 3:56 PM

picklesgap on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Nah, that makes too much sense.

rbj on January 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM

neurosculptor on January 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM

There’s nothing in the constitution that exempts a person with dual citizenship from becoming president.

mizflame98 on January 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I assume Allah you have actually seen the original ZERO birth certificate and the records of Obama’s citizenship and changes?

You know once your adopted parents change your citizenship to Indonesian you are no longer a natural born US citizen. And I assume you know Indonesia does not allow dual citizenship.

hmmm, maybe this is why ZERO seems so foreign to Americans.

It’s funny how the lame-stream media went after McCain about being born in Panama and gave ZERO a pass. What did they know?

tarpon on January 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Quite simply, the focus needs to be on politically neutering Obama in November, then sending him back to Chicago in 2012. The birther angle won’t do it.

pugwriter on January 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM

The HotAir Civil War begins! Woohoo!

WordsMatter on January 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM

This guy voted for Medicare Part D?! That’s all I need to know. I’ll take McCain, thanks.

Caiwyn on January 27, 2010 at 3:58 PM

certification of live birth = this person was born alive, somewhere

birth certificate = this person was born at this place, at this time, in this hospital, by this doctor, and, sometimes, here’s a ink copy of their baby feet!

it’s like comparing having car keys to having the title. one proves the car exists, the other proves ownership!!!

picklesgap on January 27, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I don’t like Obama, I would not vote for him if you put a gun to my head, but I think he was born in the USA and I also think this whole issue is a gift to the Democrats. It is just bizarre.

Terrye on January 27, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I got mine. You got yours. Where’s Barry’s?

BetseyRoss on January 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Can you think of any circumstance in life that would result in a citizen not having access to the original copy of their birth certificate?

What percentage of people do you think have the hard-copy of their birth certificate?

This comment is not proof of Obama’s birthplace, obviously. Rather, these are context questions that will help me understand you people.

The Race Card on January 27, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Oh, this is just another tactic to paint anyone who disagrees with Obama as a right-loon.

It could even work. Those blasting Palin these days for doing the obvious, which is to support McCain, are a bit loony.

It’s a cracked window.

AnninCA on January 27, 2010 at 3:59 PM

lorien1973 on January 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I just believe the fact that he’s refused to make them public signals a point of embarrassment for him. I agree that he’s an idiot. It would just add more fabric to the growing opinion that the clothes have no emporer.

AubieJon on January 27, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Even if the birthers are correct, how does that help the situation we are in now? He is not going to be removed from office, all this does is take credibility away from conservatives. We need to stay on his policies and prove him wrong at every turn just as we have been doing. Look at the results: Miracle in Massachusett(e)s, Virginia, New Jersey, etc. That is the way to go, and that is the only winner. Arguing about his birth certificate is a distraction. Stay on point people it’s working!

alohapundit on January 27, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Instead of talking about cutting taxes, reducing government – let’s all obsess over a stupid BC. Cuz that’ll win the election.

lorien1973 on January 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM

You are kidding, aren’t you?
He has produced the actual birth certificate they use in Hawaii…sheeesh!

right2bright on January 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Absolutely correct. In any case, the short form is THE legal document in Hawaii…not the long form. His short form, which we’ve seen, is legit and legal.

Every time a birfer speaks up, the GOP sinks a little more. It’s ridiculous and a total non-issue at this point.

JetBoy on January 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I watched this live. Matthews has been asking EVERY GOP lately if they

A) are birthers NO
B) think palin can be qualified for president Palin meets the constitutional qualifications to become President.
C) believe in evolution I believe in intelligent design.

Matthews’ questions aren’t so hard.

mizflame98 on January 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Conspiracy thinkers are just a huge part of blog-life. They are everywhere, on the right, on the left, and even sometimes, in-between.

AnninCA on January 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I’d give him a B

blatantblue on January 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM

the other proves ownership!!!

picklesgap on January 27, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Proof of ownership has been problematic for blacks in the past.

The Race Card on January 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM

certification of live birth = this person was born alive, somewhere

picklesgap on January 27, 2010 at 3:58 PM

No, that is not what a certificate of live birth is, in fact if Hawaii considers this kosher then there really is no argument. BTW, that certificate of live birth states that Obama was born in Hawaii, not that he was born somewhere. Add to that the fact that the birth announcement was published in the local papers at the time and there really is no story here. Unless of course you think that Obama got in his way back machine and put the ad in the papers himself.

Terrye on January 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Nor is there any evidence he is a citizen from anywhere else. Just birthers using their own speculation as evidence.

firepilot on January 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I also think this whole issue is a gift to the Democrats. It is just bizarre.

Terrye on January 27, 2010 at 3:58 PM

how does it help the dems?

what kind of voter will become a dem-for-life upon hearing a birther speak? seriously, describe that voter to me.

also, i guess having all those truthers out there raised W’s approval rating to 90% when he left office, right? because surely accusing a president of murdering americans would be more sinister than saying “you werent born in hawaii”. where was the disgusted voter swoon to W after hearing truthers/?

picklesgap on January 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Allah,

unseen on January 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM

So simple and so obvious a truism and yet some remain oblivious to it.

MB4 on January 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM

The HotAir Civil War begins! Woohoo!

WordsMatter on January 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Very true.

Sort of like the great “Teaparty Convention” debate. *haha

AnninCA on January 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM

alohapundit on January 27, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Exactly.

changer1701 on January 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I just believe the fact that he’s refused to make them public signals a point of embarrassment for him. I agree that he’s an idiot. It would just add more fabric to the growing opinion that the clothes have no emporer emperor.

AubieJon on January 27, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Sorry.

AubieJon on January 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM

pugwriter on January 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I can’t watch the video because I am at work, so I am not quite sure how Mr. Matthews brought up the subject. That said, I would have answered the question from a media stand point. Mr. Obama was not required to produce documentation that most candidates have voluntarily submitted such as school transcripts, client lists, results of his physical, thesis, etc. etc. Why the special treatment from a group of people who sent eleven reporters from one publication to Alaska for the V.P. office but managed to miss an affair and pregnancy of another presidential candidate? I think Mr. Hayworth is too easy a mark, with less experience Sen.-elect Brown has not let anyone put words or his foot in his mouth.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Not this birth certificate crap AGAIN! When will Republicans ever learn?

SoulGlo on January 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM

alohapundit on January 27, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Exactly Right…

SHARPTOOTH on January 27, 2010 at 4:03 PM

mizflame98 on January 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM

The Founders rejected the idea of American dual citizens, which is why it wasn’t in the Constitution, the same way that everyone used to know that marriage was always between a man and a woman and we all know that any time someone talked about marriage before it was a heterosexual marriage.

neurosculptor on January 27, 2010 at 4:03 PM

yup

What percentage of people do you think are elected POTUS?

The Race Card on January 27, 2010 at 3:58 PM

No, it’s not proof of Obama’s birthplace… Now… “you people?”

MeatHeadinCA on January 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM

JetBoy on January 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM

The point I raised wasn’t that the document The Won’s campaign wasn’t legal and proof of his U.S. birth. My point was that, has he ever offered an explanation for where the original BC is that his mother and grandparents obviously had after he left the hospital. They must have had possession of a paper BC. Where is it? I don’t necessarily want to see it, I just want the man to explain what happened to it. The explanation could be as simple as my own: “I’ve lost track of it, it could be somewhere, I simply have no idea where it is. It may be lost.”

WordsMatter on January 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I’m not sure the Abramoff route is the best route to take given McCain’s role in the Keating five.

clement on January 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Here’s a clue. The Federal Election Commission should have required it, eh?

paul1149 on January 27, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Bingo! Somebody should have.

BetseyRoss on January 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Where Obama was born is immaterial to me as he is a U.S. citizen regardless and therefore eligible to be president.

What puzzles me about the whole thing is why they were so reluctant to release it in the first place, and why once they agreed they took so long in doing so. It’s a little like Bush declaring war on Iraq. Even though it was a perfectly legitimate decision, it’s hard to escape the appearance of impropriety for some who will always believe the only reason he did it was to prove something to Daddy. It’s ridiculous of course, but it is what it is. By the same token, if you’re going to run for president, you should expect that requests to see all of your official records will be made and you should be ready and prepared to release them. The fact that he has resisted doing so — and in the case of his school records, has yet to comply — is a little suspect, I think. Why not just put it all out there and neutralize all the wingnut charges that you’re hiding something? I don’t get it.

Having said that, +10 for Palin for getting behind McCain in this primary. The old man may be squishy, but at least he’s not wearing tinfoil.

NoLeftTurn on January 27, 2010 at 4:05 PM

WordsMatter on January 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Your information is wrong.
He produced the BC (called a Certificate of Birth then, now called a Birth Certificate) that Hawaii has used for over 60 years, recognized as being the only valid ID needed for passport, citizenship, anything the government needs. It is accepted by every country in the world, and every government agency in the world, for over 60 years.
No passport has ever been denied (at least no record has surfaced), no government agency in the world has ever rejected it as not being legitimate and accurate and consistent with all other BC’s. No court has ever rejected it as not being valid…including every probate judgment case in Hawaiian history….but that doesn’t matter because you feel the burning in your breast that it isn’t accurate.

The only other BC that is used is to determine the % of Hawaiian heritage, and that is rare and for land ownership and certain Hawaiian native privileges.

right2bright on January 27, 2010 at 4:05 PM

mizflame98 on January 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM

To be more specific, for the Founders a natural born citizen was someone who was born American and had never been anything but American. Just because we decided to allow American dual citizens (much, much later) doesn’t mean that the class of natural born citizens changed, at all.

neurosculptor on January 27, 2010 at 4:05 PM