J.D. Hayworth: Where’s the birth certificate?

posted at 3:37 pm on January 27, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via HuffPo, looks like that DSCC memo about making this an issue in the midterms is already paying off. You’re a good soldier, Chris Matthews!

This isn’t going to be a huge issue between him and McCain — there are plenty of other things Maverick can attack him over — but now that Hayworth’s taken the bait, only the very dumbest left-leaning reporter or debate moderator would fail to press the two of them on this subject. Which means more ink for a fringe issue that’s not going anywhere (Obama would be nuts to produce the certificate at this point given the political mileage he gets from it) and plenty of opportunities for the media to convince centrists that the “teabagger” movement is, in its entirety, all about paranoia over Obama being a foreigner. Why Obama’s official state certification of live birth isn’t good enough continues to elude me, but so it goes. I hereby denounce myself for being a RINO. Exit question: FreedomWorks isn’t targeting McCain in the primary? Hmmmm.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

“Nothing up his leg?”

Nothing but same-ol-same-ol tripe up his sleeve. √
Very little in his pants. √
Nothing between his ears. √

Yup, rest assured, it’s Chris Matthews alright.

MB4 on January 27, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Listen carefully, at the time of his birth (and for 60 years prior) only one certificate was given for birth, the one he has.
The other info, once again, is used only to determine % of Hawaiian heritage.
Since then they have changed the names (as gov. agencies tend to do) from Certificate of Live Birth, Certificate of Birth, Birth Certificate, they are all one and the same.
Only one type is issued…the other is by request and once again, used only for Hawaiian heritage. That is not pre-requisite information outside of Hawaii.

right2bright on January 27, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Once again, you’ve missed my point entirely. My issue is not with the CB or BC. The issue is whether we have seen the original CB that Obama’s mom and grandparents received back in 1961. Is that the one that the Obama campaign scanned in and posted on the internet? If so, end of story. If not, then has Obama or his minions offered an explanation as to why it hasn’t been produced? But I am not asking this b/c I doubt his birthplace. I ask it b/c if the original no longer exists, then why wouldn’t Obama just say so? Is he playing a political game by taking advantage of the birther paranoia.

WordsMatter on January 27, 2010 at 6:46 PM

RINO in Name Only on January 27, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Section 1 of Article Two of the United States Constitution sets forth the eligibility requirements for serving as President of the United States:
“ No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.”

DNC Failed to Certify Obama as Eligible in MOST States!

The Theory is Now a Conspiracy And Facts Don’t Lie

Califemme on January 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM

How does that contradict anything I said?

RINO in Name Only on January 27, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Personally, I think I’d like to know where everybody stands on this issue, as a country. We are either a nation of laws or we are not. Requirements for being POTUS can only be changed with an amendment. So, if everybody’s ok with, “Oh well, he PROBABLY is a citizen” then I want to name them and shame them. E Pluribus Unum. If the “One” is not even from here, I have a lot of revenge to plot for being ridiculed as a birther.

Califemme on January 27, 2010 at 6:34 PM

For the vast majority of laws in this country, you do not have to prove that you are following them. The law in this country says nothing about the president needing to prove anything to hold office.

As for naming and shaming, I can tell you already that most people are o.k. with him probably being a citizen. I imagine most of them are fine with any kind of certificate saying when he was born.

RINO in Name Only on January 27, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Obama SOTU prep notes:

Got Teleprompter. √

Got backup Teleprompter. √

Got Hillary out of town. √

Got duct tape in case needed for Joe’s mouth. √

Remember to keep thinking that the American people who are listening and watching me are all naked and clueless. √

MB4 on January 27, 2010 at 6:51 PM

We have to get it done,” the speaker said. “What the process is doesn’t matter. The outcome is what is important, and what it means to working families in America.”

That’s Nancy- today- about the Healthcare debate-after she has been pummeled for 7 months and just won’t wake up to reality. And antibirthers trust her about O’s BC.

journeyintothewhirlwind on January 27, 2010 at 6:52 PM

This poor sick Republic is on the verge of shattering and collapsing . . . let’s hope there’s enough freedom loving patriots left to sort through the rubble and rebuild her.

rplat on January 27, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Yes, this is the JD we all know in Az. There are probably people who could beat McCain. But not JD. Because of this type of thing. He is just not that smart sometimes.

I’m not saying that Obama shouldn’t have to prove anything… just that he doesn’t have to. The American people spoke on that when they elected him. That is a very strong position. When faced with the choice people voted for him. That makes this issue dead.

The American public doesn’t care! It is just not that important. The exact definition of “Natural Born” is just not something people care about! Obama’s genealogy goes back to the Mayflower! Or at least the Puritans. I saw it once but I forget.

People dislike technicalities.

petunia on January 27, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Requiring IS in the constitution, but the Party Headquarters are legally obligated to get PROOF. Neither did in this instance. Its common knowledge in most parts of the world that the One is not from America. In fact, before the presidential primary, it was common knowledge in most American circles too.

See for yourself, this site has a nice round up of why he is NOT a natural born citizen. http://24ahead.com/s/obama-citizenship

Califemme on January 27, 2010 at 6:59 PM

1. Barry Sotero’s father WAS NOT AN AMERICAN CITIZEN. Barry told us himself. Sooooo, Barry IS NOT A NATURAL BORN CITIZEN. It takes BOTH parents to make you a N.B.C.

2. NO COURT has determined that he is. All cases have been denied before the MERITS of the case can be heard.

Rainboskies on January 27, 2010 at 7:00 PM

petunia on January 27, 2010 at 6:58 PM

No offense, but f**k you. I grew up with the knowledge that I could never be President, because one of my parents was not American. Perhaps if you had ever left your village to go explore the world, you might know that just because you don’t think a law can affect someone, it DOES affect people. There are millions of military raised children who are ineligible, and our parent served in the damned Armed Forces. You should think before you shoot off your mouth petunia.

Califemme on January 27, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Actually, if they press this too hard it could backfire. As Obama’s numbers drop I could see the a lot of people asking themselves, “why hasn’t Obama released his actual cetificate?”

If people start asking that question it gives the conspiracy some legitimacy and Obama will have to not only release the certificate, but everything he is keeping secret as well such as his College Transcripts.

Daemonocracy on January 27, 2010 at 7:05 PM

I STILL trust Sarah.

And I will continue to trust her.

YOU should too.

Sapwolf on January 27, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Califemme on January 27, 2010 at 6:59 PM

What law is that? Or do you have a link? The one you provided didn’t appear to address the issue of whether proof was legally required.

RINO in Name Only on January 27, 2010 at 7:16 PM

didnt you hear the next big thing is immigration reform? they need MAC…..

ginaswo on January 27, 2010 at 7:31 PM

The CB that was released by the Obama campaign is not the original CB but is a certified copy. The original is kept in the files of the State of Hawaii. A state employee has sited the original and confirmed its existence. Here’s the link:

It still doesn’t answer my question: Where’s the original that Obama’s mom took home with her when he was born?

WordsMatter on January 27, 2010 at 7:33 PM

You don’t get it? Try not to be so dismissive and come up with a clever bloggity word for the double standard of Obama not having to provide his long form birth certificate while my standard birth certificate, divorce records, and death certificate wasn’t good enough to renew my drivers license. Long form and certified it had to be!

Maybe you need to have a child and be told they can’t join band because they are special needs and no one wants to work that hard. Or have it acknowledged speech services are required by law but the school can’t pay for them despite their awesome Holiday party.

Fair is fair. No double standards. Transparency!

It is not that the long form will prove Obama isn’t a US citizen, I’m sure he is, it’s that he refuses to release it! Along with his medical, school or state senate records. Do you get it now? It’s not whether we are birthers but that Obama is the birther.

FeFe on January 27, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Rainboskies on January 27, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Utterly and completely false.

From the 14th amendment:

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

RINO in Name Only on January 27, 2010 at 9:30 PM

The American public doesn’t care!

Excellent – it’s great to know that a simple vote by the American people can circumvent the American Constitution. Heck, why don’t we put all types of anti-Constitutional measures to the people to vote – and if they pass, well ‘the people spoke’!

Obama will be thrilled to hear your brilliant analysis – he can stop spending the more than 2 MILLION dollars he’s spent so far protecting a $10 document. As for most of the ‘conservatives’? They’ve all bought into the lie that Obama actually wants this – which is why his Big Daddy Soros violently attacks anyone who raises it, which is why they’ve been misrepresented in the media, which is why EVERY single document in Obama’s past has totally VANISHED.

Which is why we have no idea where Obama got the money for Columbia, or for his little vacation across Asia, when he was supposedly so poor he was sleeping on the street at one point.

I’ll repeat it for AP and the drones who actually listen to him; a Certificate of Live Birth can be given to ANYONE.

ANYONE.

You don’t have to be born in Hawai to get a COLB.

It doesn’t matter, anyways – self-crowned ‘conservatives’ have failed us in the past, so it’s no surprise they’d fail us again. We’ll just have to save the republic on our own and leave fools like AP poring over how to set a personal best on his CTR with his latest snide/snooty/oh-so-above-it-all headline. The lawsuits are piling up, and eventually even Obama’s millions and the ENTIRE media covering his ass won’t save him. The truth will come out.

For those actually in digging deeper into the rabbit hole, I suggest starting with a man named Tom Fife.

Sixth Guard on January 27, 2010 at 9:35 PM

RINO in Name Only on January 27, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Okay. 14th Admendment states you are a citizen. To be eligible for President, you have to be a N.B.C. Not just a citizen.

Rainboskies on January 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM

RINO in Name Only on January 27, 2010 at 9:30 PM

This reminds me of the Chester Arthur controversy. Amusing.

unclesmrgol on January 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM

US Constitution (1787 )
Section II, Article 1, Clause 5
http: / / www .usconstitution.net/xconst_A2Sec1.html”>www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A2Sec1.html

“No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.”

WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF A NATURAL BORN CITIZEN?

“Law of Nations” Book One, Chapter 19, 212 (1758)
http :// www. constitution.org/vattel/vattel_01.htm

“The citizens are the members of the civil society; bound to this society by certain duties, and subject to its authority, they equally participate in its advantages. The natives, or natural-born citizens, are those born in the country, of parents who are citizens. As the society cannot exist and perpetuate itself otherwise than by the children of the citizens, those children naturally follow the condition of their fathers, and succeed to all their rights. The society is supposed to desire this, in consequence of what it owes to its own preservation;

Rainboskies on January 27, 2010 at 9:54 PM

RINO in Name Only on January 27, 2010 at 9:30 PM

This reminds me of the Chester Arthur controversy. Amusing.

unclesmrgol on January 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Yeah, because President Arthur is so relevant to all this.

I haven’t read a biography on Chester A. Arthur recently, but I’m pretty sure he didn’t hate America and wasn’t a Marxist who sympathized with Muslim terrorists. Could be wrong…

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 27, 2010 at 11:19 PM

See, its this kind of ignorance that gives Obama opponents a bad name. If this was the case, almost no one of Mexican heritage would be a natural born citizen.

Speedwagon82 on January 27, 2010 at 11:24 PM

WordsMatter on January 27, 2010 at 7:33 PM

I know this will come as a shock, but not everyone is careful about keeping old documents. Barry’s mom does not strike me as someone who would keep it secured either. She did a lot of moving.

Speedwagon82 on January 27, 2010 at 11:29 PM

I actually like J.D.’s stance on this, I always said I think everyone who runs for office, from President to local city councils, should have to prove they are a citizen, just like I need to if I want a Driver’s License or Passport.

Is getting a license a more secure procedure than becoming President?

Rbastid on January 27, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Obama already has a passport. You have to show your birth certificate to get one. Ergo, there is proof he is a natural born citizen. Unless you think the passport people are in on the conspiracy.

Speedwagon82 on January 27, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Obama would be nuts to produce the certificate at this point given the political mileage he gets from it… I hereby denounce myself for being a RINO an a-hole.

FIFY Allah.

NightmareOnKStreet on January 28, 2010 at 12:04 AM

“No person except a natural born Citizen, OR a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.”

WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF A NATURAL BORN CITIZEN?

“Law of Nations” Book One, Chapter 19, 212 (1758)
http :// www. constitution.org/vattel/vattel_01.htm

Rainboskies on January 27, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Doesn’t matter what a natural born citizen is, either a natural born citizen OR a citizen of the US is eligible.

Incidentally, though this isn’t as relevant to this exact issue, the naturalization of children of foreigners born here goes back much further than the 14th amendment. It goes all the way back to English law.

From your same source:

§ 214. Naturalization.(58)

A nation, or the sovereign who represents it, may grant to a foreigner the quality of citizen, by admitting him into the body of the political society. This is called naturalization. There are some states in which the sovereign cannot grant to a foreigner all the rights of citizens, — for example, that of holding public offices — and where, consequently, he has the power of granting only an imperfect naturalization. It is here a regulation of the fundamental law, which limits the power of the prince. In other states, as in England and Poland, the prince cannot naturalize a single person, without the concurrence of the nation, represented by its deputies. Finally, there are states, as, for instance, England, where the single circumstance of being born in the country naturalizes the children of a foreigner.

RINO in Name Only on January 28, 2010 at 2:23 AM

“Law of Nations” Book One, Chapter 19, 212 (1758)
http :// www. constitution.org/vattel/vattel_01.htm

Rainboskies on January 27, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I do have to say, though, that your source is a great read.

RINO in Name Only on January 28, 2010 at 2:50 AM

I still despise Matthews.

Stick a fork in him and tell me when he is done.

I don`t despise Hayworth and I still like him more than McCain.

Simple.

Sherman1864 on January 28, 2010 at 4:12 AM

WordsMatter on January 27, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Speedwagon82 on January 27, 2010 at 11:29 PM

I mention this in an earlier post on this thread. I am not shocked at all. I am Obama’s age, I have no idea where my BC is. It may be lost, it may still exist. I just don’t know. My point is, why hasn’t he or one of his minions explained what happened to the original that his mom or grandparents had possession of? And that gets to my larger point. If Obama doesn’t have the original anymore, then is he playing a political game by not saying anything about it, taking advantage of birther fever.

WordsMatter on January 28, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Not following the CONSTITUTIONAL DUTY for congress to VERIFY, and for the registrars of EVERY STATE to verify the elegibility of a president and for people to say it is OK because the people voted is the stupidist thing I have ever heard.

You report here every day how this president is anit-American in his values. In his foreign policy, in his apologies for America, in his bowing to kings, in his anti-capitalist ideals, you now outright call him marxist and communist.

Have you even stopped to wonder WHY he is anti-American? Have you ever even considered the possibility that the reason he is anti-American is BECAUSE HE IS NOT AMERICAN?

It is true as the saying goes, “the first answer and the easiest answer is usually right”. The easiest answer and the first answer of why this man is a communsit, radical America hater, British hater, muslim lover is because THAT IS WHERE HE IS FROM!

He STOOD BY while campaigning for his cousin in Kena while CHRISTIANS WERE HACKED UP by these people and did not say a word! He knew this man would impose sharia law on this country and suject women to the tortures this imposes and was PERFECTLY FINE WITH IT!

STOP CALLING US STUPID, and TIN FOIL HAT wearers. You pepole are the blind stupid ones. We could be rid of this fraud overnight instead of having to suject this country to 3 more years of this communist crap if people would just stand up and DEMAND to see his LEGITIMATE CONSTITUTIONAL REQUIREMENTS just as John McCain HAD to do. And demand to see his college transcripts JUST AS EVERY PRESIDENT IN RECENT HISTORY has done!

No we are not crazy, you people are blind and stupid!

patriotparty1 on January 28, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Barack Salahi Obama.

Akzed on January 28, 2010 at 11:24 AM

If his mother lost it years ago, then how would he know what happened to it? I would think that most people understand what it’s like to not have the original and thus don’t really need an explanation like this.

WordsMatter on January 28, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Possibly, but saying he lost it wouldn’t likely stop birther fever either. They still want to see the original, and a copy of it is in Hawaii. The governor himself testified to this. He just hasn’t released it.

Esthier on January 28, 2010 at 12:00 PM

It’s important to me in b/c my larger concern is that he’s playing politics with the whole CB issue.

This is a great point, although irrelevant to my concern.

WordsMatter on January 28, 2010 at 12:06 PM

He probably is, but I don’t think refusing to explain what happened to it is part of that, which was the only reason I brought it up.

This is a great point, although irrelevant to my concern.

WordsMatter on January 28, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I’m not trying to refute your concern. I believe it’s an accurate one. This is working for him so far.

Esthier on January 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Well, I think MM attracts this fringe group, so I’ll shut up.

AnninCA on January 27, 2010 at 4:52 PM

All joking aside, state your case. Your flyby snark won’t stand on its own.

Laura in Maryland on January 29, 2010 at 2:37 PM