Hayworth announces primary challenge to McCain

posted at 11:56 am on January 23, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Allahpundit noted the likelihood of J.D. Hayworth’s primary challenge to John McCain last night, and today the AP makes it official … or officially non-official.  While emphasizing that he didn’t want to officially declare his candidacy — which would create a set of legal obligations that he’s not quite ready to assume — Hayworth quit his radio show on air and later stated his intention to challenge McCain:

Former Arizona Congressman J.D. Hayworth says he is planning to run against John McCain for his U.S. Senate seat.

Hayworth, a Republican, told The Associated Press late Friday he stepped down as host of his radio program on KFYI-AM, a conservative radio talk show in Phoenix. Legally, he would not have been able to remain host of the program and be an active candidate. …

“We will formally announce at a later time, but we’re moving forward to challenge John McCain,” he said. “I think we all respect John. I think his place in history is secure. But after close to a quarter-century in Washington, it’s time for him to come home.”

It’s not the first time that a former member of a major-party presidential ticket found himself challenged within his party for his existing Senate seat the next cycle.  The same thing  happened, ironically, to one of McCain’s closest friends in the upper chamber, Joe Lieberman.  Lieberman lost his primary to Ned Lamont, who mostly self-financed from his personal fortune.  Lieberman won the seat in the general election by running as an independent, but still caucuses with Democrats, even though Lieberman campaigned for McCain in 2008.

Hayworth doesn’t have a personal fortune like Lamont on which to run, but he’ll need the money.  According to the AP, McCain already has $5 million in the bank, and he’s already spending it against Hayworth on radio ads.  If Hayworth can tap into grassroots disaffection in Arizona as Scott Brown did in Massachusetts, the money gap may not be as significant as it normally would, but he’ll still need to raise money for organization and GOTV efforts.  His contribution levels will tell a story about his chances against McCain’s entrenched power in the state.

The biggest loser from this may well be Sarah Palin.  Under normal circumstances, grassroots activists would expect Palin to either stay out of the race or support the more conservative, grass-roots candidate against the entrenched Republican establishment.  Michelle has written an excellent column detailing the pitfalls of intervening in a primary fight for Palin, and one has to wonder why she felt the need to do so, and why McCain asked for her help.  Her cachet comes entirely from positioning herself as an outsider, and now she’s rallying to the defense of one of Washington’s insiders.  If that was in the general election, everyone would hail that as an example of realpolitik, but in a primary, she’s going to get some valid criticism for this choice.

Hayworth will still be a long shot, but primaries are a hygienic device that keeps incumbents accountable for their performance.  In this case, the campaign promises to be a long one; the primary election will be held on August 24th.  That gives almost exactly seven months for Hayworth and McCain to make their cases to the voters of Arizona, and they will be the biggest beneficiaries of the process.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

The Maverick has issues, but Hayworth is not a good choice and he would be worse than McCain

georgealbert on January 24, 2010 at 3:28 PM

This is where I disagree. Yes, the entire union would have been destroyed with or without the growth of government had the Southern states successfully seceded. However, the North could have continued in existence even had the South seceded. Why government needed to grow in order for the Union States to survive is not clear to me.

MeatHeadinCA on January 24, 2010 at 2:12 AM

Ah, but the United States would have ceased to exist.

That’s where we differ — I, as Lincoln, count the United States as being all those states in the Union. Any attempt to leave the Union breaks the Union, and denies the citizens in the faction breaking away the protection of the laws of the Union.

Again, the Union was designed to be far stronger than a Confederation, and the Constitution shows it. Once in, you cannot leave.

unclesmrgol on January 24, 2010 at 3:44 PM

According to this AZ Central article J.D. did refund money to the tribes for the use of their skyboxes for fundraisers:

In a major embarrassment involving Abramoff, however, Hayworth acknowledged a year ago that he had held campaign fund-raisers five times from 1999 to 2001 in sports skyboxes provided through the lobbyist but failed to report the value of the accommodations as required by federal campaign finance laws.

His campaign committee amended its Federal Election Commission reports and refunded nearly $13,000 to two tribes for use of the suites.

J.D. also donated to charity the contribution money he received from Abramoff:

Hayworth received $2,250 from Abramoff while representing Arizona’s 5th District, which includes all of Tempe, Scottsdale and Fountain Hills and parts of Chandler, Mesa and Phoenix.

He eventually donated that money to charity while cooperating with federal authorities who were investigating corruption in Congress.

As for the rest of the tribal donations, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington reported:

After Abramoff pleaded guilty to federal crimes, several tribes asked lawmakers to return donations. But Choctaw Chief Philip Martin wrote to at least one lawmaker, Rep. J.D. Hayworth, R-Ariz., and told him he could keep tribal donations. “The Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians has voluntarily contributed to political campaigns and causes along the ideological spectrum for more than a decade,” Martin said in his Dec. 21 letter. “Our decisions on political contributions were made by us. They were not coerced or controlled by our former lobbyist, Mr. Jack Abramoff, with whom we have severed all our ties.”

So it seems they did not ask for it back, and even wanted J.D. to keep the money. I agree it looks bad, but J.D. was cleared by the DOJ and was not the target of any investigation.

It should be noted who was (and still is??- I don’t know) the Chairman of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee pushing for new laws regarding contributions by Indian tribes, and who held a hearing on the relationship between Abramoff and the Choctaws ….John McCain.

According to Arizona Congress Watch, a number of Arizona politicians received donations from Abramoff, even John McCain.

Desert Gardens on January 24, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Sir, you have no shame.

FloatingRock on January 24, 2010 at 2:13 AM

Actually, I do. I just tend to supress it in the presence of others with less shame.

unclesmrgol on January 24, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Sir, you have no shame.

FloatingRock on January 24, 2010 at 2:13 AM

unclesmrgol on January 24, 2010 at 3:56 PM

You are a sad sack, uncle. Sad and pathetic.

HornetSting on January 24, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Desert Gardens on January 24, 2010 at 3:50 PM

A) If it looks bad, it is bad.
B) You can’t be cleared by someone unless they investigate you.
C) Whether or not they want J.D. to keep the money, it’s up to J.D. as to whether he kept the money.

When a government official accepts large donations of money from people who have business before them, the thought that the donation is actually a bribe is inescapable.

and, of course, there’s
D) When an Indian Tribe gives you something, it’s coming from a foreign government.

unclesmrgol on January 24, 2010 at 4:02 PM

You are a sad sack, uncle. Sad and pathetic.

HornetSting on January 24, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Ah. douche bag. sad sack. What is it with you guys and containers?

unclesmrgol on January 24, 2010 at 4:03 PM

As for Lincoln’s position on personal freedom, his writings bear my position out. Any place where the Republican Party of 2009 has deviated from that of Lincoln’s time cannot be a good deviation. The party is still the party of the rights of the individual, not the group. That’s where Lincoln was. Illegal immigration is group-think policy, not “rights of the individual” policy.

unclesmrgol on January 24, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Your Lincoln points are well done. It is true that the Republicans tended to be Hamiltonian on economic issues. But on the great issue of the day, the spread of slavery in the western territories, Lincoln went back to Jeffersonian fundamentals: a man owns himself, a man owns the fruit of his labor. He eloquently made that case in the Lincoln-Douglas debates. Lincoln probably was the most limited-government conservative of the top Republican candidates in 1860.

Instead of criminalizing business and workers who want to work and produce, we ought to be working to liberalize the immigration laws.

AshleyTKing on January 24, 2010 at 4:07 PM

That’s rich! A guy who’s repeatedly made unfounded, defamatory allegations of criminal misconduct concerning a matter that you yourself admitted you knew virtually nothing about only just hours ago—is suddenly a champion of virtue?

Sir, you have no shame.

FloatingRock on January 24, 2010 at 2:13 AM

Actually, that comment was directed toward SaltySam, who went on at length about how honest he is, while at the same time claiming that, due to potential threats on his life from illegal aliens, he could not turn them in, even though he believes that to be the best course of action for the nation.

A man who changes his moral behavior in the face of threats is not an honest man. As I told Mr. Salt, that word does not mean what he thinks it means.

As for Hayworth, the electorate in his state will choose. I don’t think he’s a wise choice, just as some of you don’t think McCain is a wise choice. If you are in Arizona, you trump me, because you have a vote. Go use it.

unclesmrgol on January 24, 2010 at 4:10 PM

AshleyTKing on January 24, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Agreed. Since you mention Jefferson, these words from his first inaugural address come to mind:

Still one thing more, fellow-citizens — a wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities.

That sentiment fits your words exactly.

unclesmrgol on January 24, 2010 at 4:14 PM

unclesmrgol on January 24, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I agree, J.D. should have given the money back to the tribes, or maybe donated it.

That being said, he did refund the tribes for the use of their skyboxes and he did given the Abramoff donation he received to charity. I’m still searching to see if he did keep the remainder of the tribal donations, or eventually gave that away too.

Desert Gardens on January 24, 2010 at 4:20 PM

MeatHeadinCA on January 24, 2010 at 2:14 AM

My answer got swallowed by HotAir’s “nasty word” machine, so I had to post it on my own blog. If you read the link, you will find a respectful response to your position.

unclesmrgol on January 24, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Desert Gardens on January 24, 2010 at 4:20 PM

A finding that way would alleviate my concerns as to his honesty. The media is like a dog with a bone — they chew on it a bit, bury it, and then never dig it back up again.

unclesmrgol on January 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Sherlock, is that you?

Saltysam on January 24, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Heh. Good one. Don’t spoil the movie for me — I haven’t seen it yet. You think they’ll come out with a book?

unclesmrgol on January 24, 2010 at 4:25 PM

unclesmrgol on January 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I will post info if I find it.

Regardless, I cannot bring myself to support McCain. He claims to stand for conservative values, but on the big issues, he runs to the left. The Gang of 14, opposing Bush’s tax cuts, amnesty, and cap’n trade are continual signs that he goes against his own party more willingly than he goes against the Dems.

A previous poster pointed out that although J.D. hasn’t even officially announced, McCain has already started running attack ads against him. This is the same McCain who refused to “go negative” against Barack Obama last year!

McCain breaks Reagan’s commandment about not speaking ill of other Republicans. And he is the go-to guy of the media any time they want a Republican to bag on his own party.

Now he is calling in Palin to campaign for him in order to give himself more “conservative” credentials. He is trying to come back to AZ and claim he’s a strong conservative, even though, behind the scenes, the Politico reports, he’s trying to remake the GOP to be center-right, like McCain really is. McCain only seems to do what best suits himself, imo.

Desert Gardens on January 24, 2010 at 4:39 PM

As one of Palin’s biggest fans, I do not fault her for supporting McCain. We would not even know she existed if it were not for him. She tirelessly campaigned for his presidential hopes. This is consistent with that effort. Maybe she knows Hayworth is worse. I just don’t get the discontent over this, she’s loyal and giving some payback, big deal.

leftnomore on January 24, 2010 at 4:42 PM

BTW, I despise McCain and wish he’d just retire.

leftnomore on January 24, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I want to see Michelle endorse Hayworth…. I dare her!!!!

conservador on January 23, 2010 at 11:38 PM

I’ll second that dare.

Boxy_Brown on January 24, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I’m out for now. Bye all.

Desert Gardens on January 24, 2010 at 4:53 PM

There is some kind of joke in this Meghan McCain blog post…I wish we did have Boob Police, talk about emptying out Congress.

Dr Evil on January 24, 2010 at 5:19 PM

even though he believes that to be the best course of action for the nation.

unclesmrgol on January 24, 2010 at 4:10 PM

You need this little comment to build your fantasy against me.

Go ahead, show me where I said I believe that turning in illegal aliens is the best thing for this nation.

That’s right…you can’t. Complete fabrication. Yes, a provable lie. You know there is a name for people that use lies to discredit the credibility of others. Hypocrite comes to mind. Some might say, scumbag. I prefer my original assessment of you, due to the ridiculousness of your outspoken idiocy….douche bag. Yeah, douche bag, that’s fitting.

This is the second time you used an untruth to continue your fictional case. The first time, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and gave you the chance to admit is was a mistake. And you, quite conveniently, left the question unanswered.

Saltysam on January 24, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Que onda paisano!

The problem with us Mexicans, in particular with those that are here illegally, is that we have become a little radicalized based on the educational system but mostly based on the groups that blast propoganda at us all day – La Raza, Lulac, Chicanos Por La Causa, Univision, Telemundo, etc. Everything that white America suspects they teach us, well, they do. Though they have an overwhelmingly tendency, based on what they’ve been propagated their whole lives, to vote the marxists into power. This is exactly what The Planners had in mind. Flood the states and force integration much like they’ve done in Europe with Muslims, the chaos that ensues makes it much easier for the marxists to gain power.

People who support Amnesty don’t understand that they are simply following a plan that they are unaware of. It is the purposeful attempt to dilute or overwhelm the white races and to destroy Christianity. Yes, it’s unpopular to say that but that is one of the primary tenets of the marxist plan.

As a Mexican, born in Mexico, immigrated to America by a Mexican mother, and lives, breaths, and walks the American-Mexican experience, I know what the marxists are trying to do to us brownies. The marxists desire to create racial strife is offensive and evil and I will fight it with every fiber of my being!

Que La Revolucion Pacifica Americana Viva Por Siempre!

True_King on January 24, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Yes, I see this, and when the opportunity arises, I try my best to explain the concepts of the American experiment to Mexican illegals that would give me the time of day.

Most of the time, they just write me off as the crazy gringo, but every now and then, someone will actually engage in the conversation.

Two things that I have noticed, in slight contradiction to your comments. One, you say “most are family oriented”, which is true, but the irony is their families and traditions are being devastated by popular culture, here in America. Of course, I realize that opens up an entirely different conversation. The second thing, which was interesting for me to learn, (you probably know all about it), is that it seems that a lot of the illegals haven;t a clue who “La Raza” is. It seems that it is the seocnd generation, and those more “Americanized” that are familiar with these types of groups.

Anyway, I wish you and your mother well. And it is Americans like you that give me great confidence that our children have a fighting chance.

Saltysam on January 24, 2010 at 11:13 PM

True_King on January 24, 2010 at 9:57 AM

God bless you, True_King.

Eren on January 24, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Saltysam on January 24, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Aren’t you aiding and abetting lawbreakers? Why haven’t you turned them in?

Bradky on January 23, 2010 at 11:15 PM

I value my life.

Saltysam on January 23, 2010 at 11:17 PM

You’d do it, but for the risk to yourself and your family.

No lies here at all. Your heart is shown in every comment you’ve made, just as mine is.

unclesmrgol on January 25, 2010 at 12:24 AM

BTW, I despise McCain and wish he’d just retire.

leftnomore on January 24, 2010 at 4:42 PM

If us Arizona voters have their way, we will retire McCain for you. His stance on illegal immigration and “not many would pick lettuce for $50 an hour” irked many voters combined with his poorly run presidential campaign. He is tacking to the right to get re-elected, we see through him though.

dthorny on January 25, 2010 at 6:50 AM

Saltysam on January 24, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I doubt God will let that happen, He is in total control.

dthorny on January 25, 2010 at 6:53 AM

I doubt God will let that happen, He is in total control.

dthorny on January 25, 2010 at 6:53 AM

I doubt God has anything to do with the racism underlying these comments; his adversary is more apt to be involved. God’s style of group-ism is that of believers vs. non-believers.

unclesmrgol on January 25, 2010 at 7:50 AM

This is good news. McCain has lost his way in D.C. Palin aside, who is probably responding to McCain’s decent spirit, it is long past the time to have new blood in the Senate.

McCain was an embarrassment to the party in ’08. A reminder of a type of politics where victory was decided by how much the other guy beat you silly.

Crazy talk.

archer52 on January 25, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Saltysam on January 24, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I don’t disagree at all. Hollywood/Pop Culture (one and the same) is a tool used by those that control it as a means to destroy the family. You see it’s not the actors who are the primary attackers of Christianity, though they of course play a role, it’s those in charge/own Hollywood and those that bankroll it’s attempt to destroy God, morality, and family who are the force behind its purpose – The goal is the implementation of marxism. Minority’s are a specific target for destruction, and it has worked. We Mexican’s, especially the Americanized ones like myself, are end products of this propagation. We are materialistic and lustful.

As for La Raza, yes you are correct, it’s mostly run by American-Mexican’s and known primarily by that community and not the illegals. Which is the point! Once Mexican’s are Americanized they are steered towards supporting socialist organization like La Raza.

And no, your not a crazy gringo, your more informed than most.

God bless you, True_King.

Eren on January 24, 2010 at 11:17 PM

God bless you Eren.

True_King on January 25, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Saltysam on January 24, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I doubt God will let that happen, He is in total control.

dthorny on January 25, 2010 at 6:53 AM

That is my quote, not Saltysam’s.

God will not let it happen if you fight for your heritage. Remember, God’s plan is implemented by the individuals who do His work, it is not some abstract miracle or God’s snapping of His fingers that makes it come to pass. You ARE the miracle and God’s plan is implemented through ACTION! If you sit around thinking God is just going to make it happen your are leaving your heavenly rewards on the table.

True_King on January 25, 2010 at 9:09 AM

unclesmrgol on January 25, 2010 at 12:24 AM

1. You accused me of changing friends, into “few” friends.

2. You said I went against my belief that turning in illegals was the best course of action for the nation.

Which one of these is a display of your heart?

Saltysam on January 25, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I’ll vote for Hayworth. If for no other reason than he isn’t McCain.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 25, 2010 at 10:21 AM

The biggest loser from this may well be Sarah Palin.

Didn’t read all the comments, and I’m sure others have listed why they agree and disagree earlier. However…

This is quite a reach, Ed. She ran beside him recently, and I don’t think she’s going to get a lot of blowback for supporting him now.

It’s not like it’s going to hurt her like quitting the governorship took her out of her previous status as a leading GOP figure… (ahem)

cs89 on January 25, 2010 at 10:50 AM

unclesmrgol on January 25, 2010 at 12:24 AM

1. You accused me of changing friends, into “few” friends.

Which one of these is a display of your heart?

Saltysam on January 25, 2010 at 10:04 AM

And furthermore, these two baseless accusations , are your foundations for attacking my credibility.

In the process, you’ve completely misread my explanation that I’m straight up with the Mexican illegals on my opinions about their being here. You’ve attempted to turn that into some larger claim that I’m bragging about my honesty in general, so I’m not to be trusted. And therefore, my “story” is not credible.

All this, because you can’t handle that I think your theoretical notions on the guy standing at Home Depot are romantic, or should I say, nostalgic. Some heart you’ve got there.

I have something to offer, in terms of a perspective that I think adds to the discussion. Anecdotal yes, but real experience over many years. If you’re interested about a discussion on turning in illegals, whether or not I think it is the best course of action, why fear is a component of my answer, what my experiences are with illegals, what the extent of my relationships are, the debates I’ve had with them, the joys and disappointments I’ve experienced with them, how I’ve arrived at the realization that they, in general, are not interested in “leaving” Mexico and making their lives as Americans, I’d be happy to answer those questions.

I’m off to work.

Saltysam on January 25, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I held my nose in November, but as an Arizonan, I am going to take a breath of fresh air and finally get to vote for a true conservative, JD H.

Cleaning house, and Senate, feels so-o-o-o-o good!!

neoSon of Liberty on January 25, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Which one of these is a display of your heart?

Saltysam on January 25, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Both. They serve as a commentary on your heart. You have “a few” friends, but many acquaintences who are illegals, if we are to take your honest worlds about how extensive your experience is with them as gospel.

If you don’t believe that turning in illegals is the best course for our nation, than the converse is that you believe that they should stay — have an amnesty.

You are all over the map on this one. Honestly, which “you” is “you”?

unclesmrgol on January 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Saltysam on January 25, 2010 at 11:18 AM

You betcha!

unclesmrgol on January 25, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I can forgive her on this one for if it were not for McCain she would not have the national stage. I could be wrong but I think she might have lost some of the peoples respect if she had chose not to help him. The dem’s propaganda machine would definately spin it out of control if she did not help McCain. So i can give her a pass on this one.

lwssdd on January 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM

If the cost of getting McCain out of Congress is Palin, I’m happy to pay it.

I love you, Sarah, but your 15 minutes are up for all but the die hards.

You cast your pearls to swine.

Angry Dumbo on January 25, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Go for it, man! At his farewell dinner you can give McCain a medal, a bottle of rot gut, and a key to a cheap hotel room where I hope he spends the rest of his life.

kens on January 25, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Somewhere Sgt. Joe Friday, ICE, frowns in frustration. He knows his beat like every good cop. He knows what’s going on down at Home Depot. He knows he could wrap up the whole gang tonight if he were allowed to. But his hands are tied. Some good citizen has to phone in a complaint. If only SaltySam would make that call, tomorrow would see Los Angeles freed of the illegal alien underworld. But somehow that phone never rings.

Chris_Balsz on January 25, 2010 at 7:36 PM

I love you, Sarah, but your 15 minutes are up for all but the die hards.

You cast your pearls to swine.

Angry Dumbo on January 25, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I do not think those words mean what you think they mean.

unclesmrgol on January 25, 2010 at 8:33 PM

meh.. another smokescreen. Hayworth will get the conservatives all hot and bothered thinking they’re doing something “grassroots” in defeating the neocon McCain and then, just as with Scott Brown, they’ll wake up a few months later and find that they helped elect another neocon.

AIPAC will be the winner in that race.

popularpeoplesfront on January 25, 2010 at 9:29 PM

unclesmrgol on January 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Wrong. The implication here is that if something is not the best course, then the complete opposite is the best course, straw man.

Try again.

Usually, if I’m unclear on someone’s position, I ask for clarification. There is the “know-it-all” approach, but I find that’s like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer…seems like it might work at first, but quite painful and unnecessary…and you end up looking like a douche bag.

They serve as a commentary

unclesmrgol on January 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM

No, they serve as deception. That’s the operative character of your “commentary”. Apparently, from some of the comments I’ve seen from others that know you here, this is a common occurrence?

unclesmrgol on January 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM

We?

Looking for allies?

If you doubt my experience, that’s fine. That does not make me a liar. But using fraudulent accusations because you don’t like my opinions, makes you a hypocrite.

You betcha!

unclesmrgol on January 25, 2010 at 12:54 PM

ROFLMAO!

Admitting that you’ve lied because you can’t handle my opinion of your theory does not mean you’re honest.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

You’re a gem.

Saltysam on January 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

You’re a gem.

Saltysam on January 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM

You have many goats, and I have got at least one of them.

unclesmrgol on January 26, 2010 at 1:52 AM