Video: Stewart slams Olby

posted at 10:12 am on January 22, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

I saw mentions on Twitter that Jon Stewart went after Keith Olbermann in last night’s Daily Show, and wondered just how hard Stewart would hit him over his hysterical, over-the-top tirades this week. Answer: no haymakers, but plenty of hard jabs. The best part for Hot Air readers comes at the end, when Stewart comes closest to a knockout by pointing out the MS-NBC “news” host’s hypocrisy for calling Brown sexist and supportive of violence against women for a comment someone yelled out at a rally after Olbermann’s super-special Special Comment about Michelle Malkin:

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c
Special Comment – Keith Olbermann’s Name-Calling
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political Humor Health Care Crisis

Give credit to Stewart for getting laughs out of some very unfunny source material. I’m wondering why Stewart missed the opportunity to go after Olby’s assertion (with agreement from Newsweek editor Howard Fineman) that trucks represent racism, which could have made for some blockbuster comedy. But do notice where his audience laughs and applauds, because even though Stewart got a good response from them for himself, it becomes rather obvious where their sympathies lie — except when Stewart quotes Olby on Michelle, which gets a very gratifying gasp.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

That Stewart seems to actually get that, at least enough for five minutes out of an episode every once in awhile, doesn’t really prove much. He still shills for the Dems. He just understands the need to be more understated about it.

Esthier on January 22, 2010 at 1:31 PM

What’s interesting is that credibility depends on the performer having a point of view that isn’t simply tethered to the success of a political party.

Stewart will lampoon the left when they are in power and will also give right wing guests a fair shake. Olby seems content to be simply a self-aggrandizing member of the Dem Party choir.

dedalus on January 22, 2010 at 2:41 PM

O’Reilly had a montage of the left’s meltdown on his show last night. Surprisingly, I don’t think Uberwoman was included though.

Doughboy on January 22

That’s intentional , nothing goads Uberidiot more than being ignored by the guy he thinks he is in competition with.

DSchoen on January 22, 2010 at 2:45 PM

He’s still a “Richard Cranium”

Sir Richard Head?

DSchoen on January 22, 2010 at 2:59 PM

So all it takes for Stewart to notice Olbermann is when he makes one of the most absurd ad hominem statements of his career and no convenient Republican scandal is taking place? Doesn’t fill me with much optimism.

Speedwagon82 on January 22, 2010 at 3:51 PM

omg -

Olbermann has “intellect”.

who knew?? /sarc

dissent555 on January 22, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Keith olberman is certifiably insane. Stewart is not funny.

Basilsbest on January 22, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Stewart’s done as much to destroy civil discourse in America as anyone. And that’s saying a lot with competition from Maher, Moore, Maddow, Moulitsas, Sullivan and Schultz.

Basilsbest on January 22, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Here’s an Olbermann special comment on Scott Brown that you do not want to miss, I promise:

OxyCon on January 22, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I fail to find this whole exercise funny at all. Stewart is just giving a larger audience to Olbermans classless infantile rants!
How funny would it been had Rush or Hannity or Levin used much the same words to describe Coakley?

I wish just once one of these imbiciles would have the courage to say these things to a persons face.
I for one could guarantee Mr. Olberman a trip to the dentist for dentures and he’d learn to keep his foul mouth shut!

dhunter on January 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Listening to Stewart denounce Uberdouchebag reminds me of listening to CAIR denounce Terrorism… It’s all show. Having said that… I think it was hysterical. Stewart’s clip was pretty funny too.

ronnyraygun on January 22, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Good thing this is NOTHING like saying “I hope he fails”

lovingmyUSA on January 22, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Stewart pulls the punches; after all, Keef is a fellow traveler, not a subhuman like Limbaugh. It wasn’t all that funny, either. The glasses thing. The constant mugging. Come on.

ddrintn on January 22, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Stewart pulls the punches
ddrintn on January 22, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I agree.

Just a way to showcase what ‘O’ says while letting ‘O’ take the blame for being hysteric

This is like the old Bible blockbusters, which used the pretext of teaching the stories, Samson, Solomon and Sheba etc to shovel up dancing girls in risque costumes

Basilsbest on January 22, 2010 at 5:42 PM

All cynics in a world that cannot be whole unless the other side is purged. They live is a negative context, and the venom has poisoned them.

I hadn’t watched Maddow until this week. I wasn’t sure if Maddow was male or female, given the times we live. What got me was the delivery. It was like the old slow talking style of burlesque…..

What’s – a – sweet – Goil – like – Youse – doing – in – a – place – like – this? Drum roll Kaboom Mug to audience.

Maddow would talk faster with a teleprompter.

entagor on January 22, 2010 at 11:39 PM

SIR!

RobCon on January 22, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Olberman is an evil person, not insane, there is a difference.

scotash on January 23, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Stewart? Thought it was Libowitz?

tbear44 on January 23, 2010 at 12:21 AM

This is nothing more than Stewart taking the opportunity to replay Olbermann’s remarks. He’s aware nobody was watching MSNBC and wanted to give it more air time.

Stewart is just one more in a long line of Liberal commedians who make their names by bashing Republicans. Every once in a while they poke silly fun at one of their own, but it is only for show.

Sorry Ed, but it seems you were duped.

ConservativeTony on January 23, 2010 at 3:54 AM

Jon is okay here. At least he is reflecting the comedy part of “comedy central,” although he ain`t my favorite “comedian” or anywhere within a million miles of him.
Olbermann, on the other hand, is a comedian, an evil clown, of a so-called . . . uh . . . news network. And that latter is a bold assertion itself by that . . . whatever it is.
Olbermann has made his pact with the devil. Sold his soul long ago. This has ramifications.
I wonder if Olbermann will survive the year on MSNBC IF that network survives the year in its present form . . . .
I hope not on both accounts.
I think Olbermann will get what is coming to him.
He will take it and like it and so will we.
I despise Olbermann.
Evil clown.
Not funny.

Sherman1864 on January 23, 2010 at 4:17 AM

Great! A**hole on a**hole action.

elderberry on January 23, 2010 at 7:36 AM

For those of us (me?) in Canada, it would really help if HA would include the Show date and clip# for Daily Show links. We get a screen telling us to go to Canada’s Comedy Network for Daily Show content, and sometimes there is a lot to search through. (I found this one easily, and thanks for linking to it! But often it’s more of a chore.

brambo_42 on January 23, 2010 at 9:46 AM

I rarely post but I’m feeling like an old-timer around here

Ugly on January 23, 2010 at 11:30 AM