Oh my: Huckabee 45, Obama 44

posted at 4:54 pm on January 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

The timing’s awkward given Huck’s comment last night that Brownmania has inadvertently set Obama on the path to reelection, but even so, this is the first poll I can remember seeing — anywhere — that has The One trailing a Republican.

Second look at Huckabee?

Mike Huckabee has a 45-44 advantage over Obama, aided largely by a 44-38 lead with independents. There continues to be no evidence of any negative fallout for Huckabee after murders of police officers committed by an ex-Arkansas inmate whose sentence he had commuted. His 35/29 favorability breakdown is actually slightly better than it was in November before that incident.

Mitt Romney does the next best, trailing Obama 44-42. His favorability is 36/32, and he’s the most popular Republican among independents (41/32). Romney actually matches Huckabee with GOP voters this month and gets over 50%, ending a trend in his numbers that had seemed to spell difficulty for snagging a Republican nomination.

Sarah Palin trails Obama 49-41 largely because she loses 14% of the Republican vote to him, making her the only one of the GOP candidates we tested who Obama could get double digit crossover support against. At the same time Palin continues to be the most well liked potential GOP candidate within her party- at 71% favorability. Her problem appears to be that the Republicans who don’t care for her will go so far as to vote for Obama instead of her.

Her favorables stand at 42/51, which is better than they were after she resigned. The recurring problem with trying to compare her data to Huckabee’s and Romney’s is that she’s far more widely known than they are, so the undecided column end up turning things into apples and oranges. For instance, her favorables among Republicans are 71/19/10; Mitt’s and Huck’s are identical at 56/17/27. If 15 of that 27 percent of undecideds breaks into the favorable column, they’re at parity with her (although she’d likely still be ahead given the way her own undecideds would break). Same goes for the Hispanic vote: Head to head with Obama, she takes seven percent more than either Huckabee or Romney do, but in their cases fully 13 percent of Hispanics are undecided. By the same token, Palin is at 26/68/6 among moderates while Huck is at 21/37/43 and Romney at 30/38/33. Her disapproval seems eye-popping compared to theirs, but imagine where Huckabee will be once his undecideds shake out. Not hard to imagine him cracking 60 percent too.

The interesting numbers are how they do head to head against Obama among Republicans. PPP oversells it a bit: It’s true that more GOPers cross over and vote for The One if she’s the nominee, but her numbers aren’t dramatically different from Romney’s. She pulls 77/14/9 and he pulls 77/9/14. Huckabee does noticeably better at 82/10/8, putting him at +72 compared to +63 for her. Fox News posed the same hypothetical match-ups in its own recent poll and it too found more Republican deserters if Palin’s the nominee than if it’s Romney. In the Fox data, against Obama, she pulls 68/17/4 while Mitt pulls 74/9/7. (They didn’t ask about Huckabee, likely because he’s an employee, but Gingrich pulled 63/13/10.) Exit question: What can she do to win back the Republicans who are down on her? Besides campaigning for Maverick, I mean.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 5:33 PM

So…We are very nearly three years from the next Presidential election and you have some idea that this poll is something more than meaningless drivel…Good luck with that…

Huck is a non-starter except in the very small minds of a few…He will get shot down for any number of reasons such as having released bloodthirsty criminals, against the advice of law enforcement who went on to kill again…He is a babtist preacher who has a hate filled heart for Mormons in particular…If you think this is as it should be then take a trip to Utah and educate yourself…Utah is one of the finest places in the world. Amazing in itself since the state was carved out the most god-forsaken wilderness in the Western United States…Utah has many superlatives but one which you may appreciate is that it is the most conservative state. They voted for GW in higher percentages than any other state. Huck’s slanders agains Romney and Mormons was disgraceful and a slap in the face of the good people of that faith…Yeah, Babtist have their snake charmers and mormons have a few who have not given up polygamy. Neither are representative of the their faith and should not be taken for such. Furthermore, Huck has zero foreign policy experience, zero military experience, and zero business experience. It seems that the main thing on his resume’ is that he finally learned how to control a knife and fork, with the help of gastric bypass of course…His family photo looks like the next runner up for an Adams family look alike contest. And, his son narrowly avoided be convicted for killing dogs…Worked out so well for Michael Vick, but alas the Governor stepped in to keep his son out of jail…Huck is a nobody from nowhere. No offense intended to the good people of Arkansas…He does have the gift of gab and he is not unlike a white Obama in that regard, but…It takes more than talk as we are seeing with Obama…Huck for his limited charms is not a serious Presidential candidate. If you think he is then so be it…But, don’t throw this bull$hit poll up as proof positive of anything. It is as worthless as tits on a bull…

Nozzle on January 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 7:22 PM

See how much traffic Allahpundit got out of you today? That’s his job and nothing more. It’s what he is all about. The only subject he is solid on is atheism.

Americannodash on January 22, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Why should I care how much traffic Allahpundit gets “out of me today”? Besides, do you not think the very first poll to show a Republican challenger leading Obama is news worthy?

And my comments have had nothing to do with anything AP wrote, they have had everything to do with the utter silliness of the Huckabee=Obama’s worst qualities, Palin=Obama’s best qualities sentiment here at HA.

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM

I have a confession.I would vote for Obama in the unlikely event that he was running against the NY. Yankee’s.The only way I’d vote for Huckabee is if he proves he’s not a fake poser, by skinning a squirrel without getting hair all over it, and whipping up some proper biscuits and squirrel gravy.

McBride on January 22, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Of the 500+ posts dripping in ignorance, venom and immaturity, I finally found one to which I can completely concur:

“There must be some real idiots in this party.”

nyvoter on January 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Nozzle on January 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Get up on the wrong side of the bed there, buddy? It probably doesn’t help that your bed’s up against a wall, does it?

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 9:06 PM

my comments have had nothing to do with anything AP wrote.

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM

What was that? So you want to go off topic now? I missed the point of your last post.

Americannodash on January 22, 2010 at 9:29 PM

By the way, arguing Palin would “mop the floor” with Huck in the South without providing any data to back up your assertion is pretty weak. At least get a PPP poll or something. ;)

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM

It’s as legit as handing Huck the presidency on the basis of a PPP poll.

Nominating someone just because, “Ooo-ooo, the Left really hates her!” is not going to give us a decent shot at beating Obama in 2012. Glad to hear others here who recognize that. Keep turning down the Kool-Aid!

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM

You still haven’t set forth any compelling arguments for Huckabee. He has a TV show! He’s glib! I guess those are good enough reasons.

And when all else fails he will ask you to name your “pick” so he can criticize instead of answer your question. What he doesn’t understand is that just because he has made his “pick” it doesn’t mean the large of majority of people have emotionally committed themselves to the idea of a particular individual being the next president.

Bradky on January 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM

I’ve already said I don’t think she’s running. But I would have to have some sympathy for you. Tearing down Palin is certainly easier on you than having to defend Newt as a “pick”.

ddrintn on January 22, 2010 at 9:32 PM

I want the Democrats out of my pocket and Republicans out of my bedroom

windansea on January 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM

I want the Democrats out of my pocket and Republicans out of my bedroom

windansea on January 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM

How are Republicans in your bedroom?

ddrintn on January 22, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I don’t want us to have to go through this every couple of decades. But the more I see, the more hope I am gaining that the people are really beginning to pay attention and think about things. I pray I’m not wrong.

JamesLee on January 22, 2010 at 7:09 PM

And I’m kneeling right beside you.

Blacksmith8 on January 22, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Thanks Bradky. It’s good to hear a conservative progressive troll commenting on this site who still has some sense. Keep turning down the Kool-Aid!

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I’ve got a news flash for you cschande. The bradster doesn’t drink. He’s got a intravenous drip with the button for dosage control. His worst nightmare is if the duct tape holding his thumb down ever wears out, his thumb might come up off the button. HEH, as if.

Blacksmith8 on January 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Some Republicans don’t care for her.

These Republicans would vote for Obama.

The Republican Party is finished.

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up AP.

Dongemaharu on January 22, 2010 at 10:01 PM

my comments have had nothing to do with anything AP wrote.

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Americannodash on January 22, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I was responding to a commenter who wrote that AllahPundit got me to provide a bunch of traffic for him with his post. My point was that I wasn’t responding to anything AP wrote, I was responding to what some wrote in the comments. That is all.

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 10:17 PM

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM

It’s as legit as handing Huck the presidency on the basis of a PPP poll.

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Bradky on January 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM

ddrintn on January 22, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Who “handed Huck the presidency on the basis of a PPP poll”? I thought Obama was still in the White House. Oh, you mean someone said, “Huckabee will be the next President” on the basis of a PPP poll. Hmm…nope, didn’t read that either. Oh, wait, that was just supposed to be a convenient straw man? Oh, ok, I see. In that case, have fun tearing it apart. I’ll just watch.

Now, I will spend the rest of my evening trying to force a die-hard, starry-eyed Palin supporter why Huckabee is the better candidate, at his request. Ahem…actually, on second thought, I have better things to do with my time.

And didn’t Bradky just say he doesn’t have a “pick” yet? Or does the fact that you’ve emotionally attached yourself to a candidate already mean everybody else had better do the same so you can attack them the same way everybody else picks on you and your beloved candidate?

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Blacksmith8 on January 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Name-calling…how sophisticated.

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Oh, come on. You spend several comments pimping Huckabee and then back off. Go back and read your own statements.

Suuuuuure you do. Come on. Give it a try. Huckabee doesn’t have baggage? Huckabee is REALLY viable nationally? I don’t think so.

cschande on January 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM

No, he doesn’t. He’s only sure that he doesn’t like Palin. That’s the easiest way to be, you see? Don’t have to go out on a limb. I’ve already said I don’t expect Palin to run, so you can put up your own little straw man.

ddrintn on January 22, 2010 at 11:22 PM

My dogs would probably poll better than The One at this point (and they’re way cuter!).

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 22, 2010 at 11:29 PM

ddrintn on January 22, 2010 at 11:22 PM

You sure it’s not easier just to say “I don’t expect Palin to run,” that way you “don’t have to go out on a limb”?

cschande on January 23, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Blacksmith8 on January 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM

News for ya honey buns. Reliable info says you keep your head buried in the porcelain bowl to keep up the Palin koolaid you love.

ddrintn on January 22, 2010 at 11:22 PM

The sad part is you have convinced yourself I have a pick. Denial denial denial from ddrintn. Because I am critical of her I “don’t like her”?
That is as weak as saying if someone disagrees with you and sends you an email it is hate mail.

Face it ddrintn you are a Palin tool.

Bradky on January 23, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Face it ddrintn you are a Palin tool.

Bradky on January 23, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Not really.

Face it, Bradky. You are simply a tool.

ddrintn on January 23, 2010 at 12:27 AM

cschande on January 23, 2010 at 12:11 AM

What’s so friggin’ mysterious about “I don’t expect her to run”?

ddrintn on January 23, 2010 at 12:33 AM

ddrintn on January 22, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Face it ddrintn you are a Palin tool.

Bradky on January 23, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Hey, at least he hasn’t called you sexist yet. Wait for it…

cschande on January 23, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Liberace 45, Obama 44

AshleyTKing on January 23, 2010 at 1:22 AM

I fear I’d have to commit suicide if I had to make a choice between Huckabee and Obama. Surely Republicans can do a whale of a lot better than a bigoted criminal lover.

{^_^}

herself on January 23, 2010 at 4:29 AM

If Sarah is going to campaign for him, why not just nominate Maverick Senator John and get it over with. As my High School Algebra teacher used to say, “Fail now and avoid the rush”

Mr. Grump on January 23, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Mr. Grump on January 23, 2010 at 8:32 AM

“Why not” indeed. Independents looooooove them some McCain. So…give it another try, GOP geniuses!

ddrintn on January 23, 2010 at 9:21 AM

This poll three years out from the next Presidential election is meaningless drivel…Huck is a nobody from nowhere…No offense meant to the good people of Arkansas. He would be shot down for any number of reasons if he were to run again. For one, he was a serial releaser of murderous criminals. Some of whom went on to murder again as we have seen. He is a babtist preacher who has zero business, foreign policy, or military experience…The only noteworthy thing of his resume is that he finally learned to control a knife and fork, with the help of gastric bypass of course…He talks a good line. In fact, all he does is talk…In this regard, he appears to be the white version of Obama with a southern accent. As with Obama, the American people are acutely aware that it takes more than talk to run this great nation…For those who are fans of Huck and see some glimmer of hope in this poll…Good luck with that!!! My only hope in this regard is that Huck gets the hell out of the way of a viable candidate and that he not conspire to make trouble as he did with McCain…

Nozzle on January 23, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Oh, noes! As an Arkansan conservative I caqn tell you this guy was an enormous disappointment. He gives a great speech, but his appointments are lousey – no, worse than lousy, abysmal. And he is no leader.

Honestly, I found myself relieved that a good ol’ corrupt Dem was elected governor so I would at least have someone competent in office. Disregard this at your peril!

Venusian Visitor on January 23, 2010 at 2:56 PM

I think Huckster would be hostile to businesses and investors like Obama.

Seems like there are better candidates.

Spathi on January 23, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Hey, at least he hasn’t called you sexist yet. Wait for it…

cschande on January 23, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Nah, that would be sort of on a par with saying that people who don’t like Huckabee are only following Rush’s orders.

ddrintn on January 23, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Hmm…let’s see what PPP has got to say about huckabee’s numbers not declining after the man whose sentence huckabee commuted assassinated four police officers:

Looking at Huck
December 8, 2009

“After Mike Huckabee’s bad news week his poll numbers must be completely shattered, right?

Not so much. Our monthly look at the 2012 Presidential race, due out Thursday, will show Huckabee’s favorability at 35/35, pretty much unchanged from 36/37 on our November poll. And not only does it show him once again as the Republican who comes closest to Barack Obama, but it also shows him coming closer to Obama than he has in any of the previous nine monthly polls.

Does that mean he’s getting a free pass on the Washington cop killings by an inmate whose sentence he commuted? Probably not. I’m sure that would be a massive liability if he did get into the 2012 Republican field, and used effectively against him by his opponents. But it’s a good reminder that the vast majority of Americans do not live and die by the 24 hour news cycle. Huckabee’s numbers haven’t changed because more than likely few voters who didn’t already have their minds made up about him are familiar with his connection to last week’s tragedy.

The incident will probably hurt Huckabee’s political standing in the long run, but for now it’s not having an impact on him.”

Shelby on January 23, 2010 at 4:13 PM

What I foresee for 2012:

It’s a hard-fought battle in the primaries, primarily between Palin, Romney, and Huckabee. Contrary to popular belief the split vote comes from the anti-Palin crowd, instead of the Evangelical vote. Thus, Romney and Huck split the moderate vote and Palin takes the nomination. She shrewdly selects Romney as her running mate, because he props up her economic credentials while bringing in the independent vote with the conservative base that she already holds. If they can deflect enough of the “religious crazies” accusations (as an Evangelical and a Mormon, this will be their biggest vulnerability from a PR standpoint), they’ll crush Obama in the general election. Congressional wins add to the seats already won in the 2010 election, Michele Bachmann becomes Speaker of the House, and a new opportunity for a Conservative correction of government is born.

Thoughts?

Animator Girl on January 23, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Animator Girl on January 23, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Huckabee has not gotten a boost at Intrade from the apparent high regard the electorate has for him against Obama. This leads me to believe the politicos in the know don’t believe the results.

I am of the opinion now that it will come to a two person race between Mitt and Sarah; Huck will not have the money to compete and I do think the clemency issue will come back to bite him eventually. It will be a replay of the 1980 election between Reagan and Bush Sr.

I will not pick a winner. There are too many variables and after all it is 2 years to the first primary.

technopeasant on January 23, 2010 at 6:27 PM

What can she do to win back the Republicans who are down on her?

Finally a good question from AP.

RobCon on January 23, 2010 at 8:04 PM

What can she do to win back the Republicans who are down on her?

Finally a good question from AP.

RobCon on January 23, 2010 at 8:04 PM

The answer is “die”, probably.

ddrintn on January 23, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Huckabee is against the Scott Brown Senate win because Romney orchestrated that win from start to finish.

Romney just saved the country from socialism with Brown and Huckabee is nasty and spiteful about it. I think Huckabee is sick in the head, and these polls about Huckabee are very disconcerting.

Huckabee is not an asset to the country, but Romney is.

scotash on January 23, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Any GOP voter who votes for a second term for Obama instead of Palin (assuming Obama doesn’t improve much) deserves to be drawn and quartered….slowly.

Sapwolf on January 23, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I wouldn’t campaign for Mitt or Huck, but if they were in the general vs. Obama I’d vote for them without even thinking.

We really need TeaCon’s to further infiltrate the GOP at the precinct level and get our people into the county chairman positions.

Sapwolf on January 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM

The reason Sarah is not polling as good head-to-head vs. Obama is because she is attacked relentlessly because the LSM knows she is the dangerous one.

If Mitt or Huck won the primary, they’d be savaged once the entire navy of S.S. LSM and their guns turn on them.

Their numbers would plunge overnight.

Sarah fights, the Dems/LSM know it, and despite it, her numbers have improved.

She is reaching out to TeaCons and Indies and will gradually improve her numbers here.

The real question is whether Obama will pull to the middle or will he and the Dems launch Pickett’s Charge.

Sapwolf on January 23, 2010 at 10:03 PM

PPP oversells it a bit:

Ya think? PPP has clearly chosen Huckabee as their “Anybody But Palin” candidate.

Mr. Wednesday Night on January 24, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Why, oh why is Intrade not responding to the fact according to PPP that Huckabee has been the GOP frontrunner in 10 successive monthly polls. I would call that a trend, wouldn’t you?

Huckabee is still mired in the single digits and even Pawlently’s last selling price is higher.

technopeasant on January 24, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Huckabee is sickening bleeding-heart. I don’t want a bleeding-heart for a President & Commander In Chief – I’d rather have a tough-hearted kick-ass. Huckabee might pardon the Islamic underwear bomber because he was, well, young & immature and might still find Jesus. Damn the bleeding hearts! they’ll get us all killed or Sahriaized yet.

Chessplayer on January 24, 2010 at 10:33 AM

God help us if Huckabee is the only choice other than Bambi!

Hobbes on January 24, 2010 at 12:08 PM

My pet chiuaua 47, Obama 42.

This is about Obama, not the Huckster.

ElectricPhase on January 24, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Those Republicans who don’t care for her are the elitist scumbags who end up voting for liberals anyway. they also happen to make up the majority of the beltway establishment that handed this election to Obama and the Democrats by not sticking to principles.

They’ll turn on Huck too when they are reminded he is a *gasp* preacher from the bible belt.

Daemonocracy on January 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Obama = Socialism
Huckabee = Socialism Lite

gbear on January 24, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Sapwolf on January 23, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Interesting… There is no longer a need for primaries, debates and determining the best candidate that the majority of the GOP want?
And your response is they should be executed if they don’t back Palin. What a very strange brand of conservatism you promote…

Bradky on January 24, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Bradky on January 24, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I feel fairly certain it was hyperbole, and I’m sure you are too, but I think the gist of the post was that voting for Obama over (hypothetically) Palin would be insanity. You know, the same sort of insanity that would be apparent in voting for Obama instead of Romney or Newt or Pawlenty.

ddrintn on January 24, 2010 at 6:58 PM

ddrintn on January 24, 2010 at 6:58 PM

He stuck to one name, not the party nominee, just Palin. Now I know that he got to meet her and got on television or something to talk about the experience. Maybe he has more stardust in his eyes than the average Palinbot.

When Obama said things to the effect of “getting in your face” did you give him the same benefit of the doubt? “Why he is just passionate about his position and wants to engage in a constructive dialog…” Of course you didn’t. Sapwolf specifically said people who don’t vote for Palin need to be killed by being drawn and quartered.

And you jump to his defense?? Incredible!!

Bradky on January 24, 2010 at 9:24 PM

He stuck to one name, not the party nominee, just Palin.

I haven’t heard very many say “If Romney’s the nominee, I’m voting for Obama!” Have you?

And you jump to his defense?? Incredible!!

Bradky on January 24, 2010 at 9:24 PM

A couple of things. 1. Work on your reading comprehension. And assuming that’s OK, then work on being honest in interpreting what someone types. 2. Sapwolf isn’t the president or a presidential candidate.

ddrintn on January 24, 2010 at 11:10 PM

ddrintn on January 24, 2010 at 11:10 PM

My reading comprehension is just fine. What is not fine is the reality check ability you and SapWolf have in regards to Palin.
You let it color everything you see. You dodged the central question once again.
Bradky: Sapwolf suggested people should die if they don’t vote for Palin
DDRINTN: Well I like broccoli!

Bradky on January 25, 2010 at 5:04 AM

After looking at his history in Arkansas if the Huckster is our only choice I will stay home on voting day. If Bush didn’t fracture the conservative movement enough (we are seeing healing now) the huckster will kick dirt on the conservative movement’s grave and we will forever be under some sort of socialism. He didn’t get his name the ‘Huckster’ for nothing. Ask anyone who has experienced his govonorship.

train on January 25, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Daemonocracy on January 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Venusian Visitor on January 25, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Bradky: Sapwolf suggested people should die if they don’t vote for Palin
DDRINTN: Well I like broccoli!

Bradky on January 25, 2010 at 5:04 AM

Maybe your reading comprehension isn’t as keen as you imagine. As I already hinted above, maybe you should look up the word “hyperbole”.

ddrintn on January 25, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Huckabee is not an asset to the country, but Romney is.

scotash on January 23, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Bingo!!

I don’t think people will ever appreciate what Romney has done for the country and for the GOP.

And that’s a shame. Because he deserves all the credit he can get for what he did in Mass.

Conservative Samizdat on January 25, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Conservative Samizdat on January 25, 2010 at 10:52 PM

I think we could also thank David Gergen even more for leaving a hanging curveball right over the plate for Brown.

ddrintn on January 25, 2010 at 11:07 PM