Michelle urges Palin: Don’t campaign for McCain! Update: Hayworth jumps in?

posted at 8:34 pm on January 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

In which the boss spots a sinister trend: McCain Regression Syndrome.

It’d be just my luck that Meggie Mac is reading the site tonight.

Savor the irony: After a career spent bashing the right flank of the party, Sen. McCain is now clinging to its coattails to save his incumbent hide.

And pay attention to the hidden, more troubling irony: While he runs to the right to protect his seat, McCain’s political machine is working across the country to install liberal and establishment Republicans to secure his legacy…

With all due respect to McCain’s past noble war service, it’s time to head to the pasture. As the Supreme Court ruled on Thursday, he was wrong on the constitutionality of the free-speech-stifling McCain-Feingold campaign finance regulations. He was wrong to side with the junk-science global warming activists in pushing onerous carbon caps on America. He was on the wrong side of every Chicken Little-driven bailout. He was wrong in opposing enhanced CIA interrogation methods that have saved countless American lives and averted jihadi plots. And he was spectacularly wrong in teaming with the open-borders lobby to push a dangerous illegal alien amnesty.

Tea Party activists are rightly outraged by Sarah Palin’s decision to campaign for McCain, whose entrenched incumbency and progressive views are anathema to the movement. At least she has an excuse: She’s caught between a loyalty rock and a partisan hard place. The conservative base has no such obligations – and it is imperative that they get in the game (as they did in Massachusetts) before it’s too late. The movement to restore limited government in Washington has come too far, against all odds, to succumb to McCain Regression Syndrome now.

It might be too late already. According to Rasmussen, Maverick’s up 53/31 on J.D. Hayworth and is already running attack ads against him — before he’s even gotten into the race. Proof positive that he’s worried, which only makes Sarahcuda’s “true conservative” stamp of approval that much more important in possibly warning Hayworth away.

The weirdest part of this? I don’t think anyone will be swayed by Palin’s endorsement. No one seriously believes she’d be backing him if not for her personal loyalty to him, and McCain’s sufficiently infamous for his centrism that even her support won’t scrub him clean in the eyes of tea partiers. Which means this is actually a pretty shrewd move on her part: She gets credit for being a good soldier, especially in light of the sniping at her from his former campaign aides, whereas he gets maybe a few extra votes from conservatives. In fact, someone should make a video at her rally for McCain in the same mold as that now-famous video outside Obama’s rally for Coakley, where college kids babbled about getting to see The One in person while showing no enthusiasm whatsoever for the candidate. That’s what we’re going to end up with here, I think.

We have to poll it. Do your worst.

Update: Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

JD Hayworth quits radio show. To McCain: “It’s time for you to come home.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 8

I like Michele Bachmann even better. Sorry.

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Palin being loyal to McCain and supporting him is the kind of person she is. Palin wouldn’t be the beloved figure she is without showing this class and decency.

rob verdi on January 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Sarah should be campaigning for McCain. McCain is a conservative and a Republican, that is clear. He may not fall in line with conservatives all the time, but he does hold enough of those values to be considered one. This nasty Malkin-”Rino” attacking branch of conservatives is going to be the death of the Republican Party.

Narutoboy on January 22, 2010 at 8:38 PM

“With all due respect to McCain’s past noble war service, it’s time to head to the pasture.”

+7%…!

Seven Percent Solution on January 22, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I’m with Michelle.

Palin shouldn’t put her personal interests above the many Arizona conservatives and Tea Partiers that have been working to replace McCain for years now, and that are, (or were before her interference), on the verge of success.

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I really think this is up to Sarah Palin, maybe she really thinks this is the right thing for her to do. Conservatives had a pretty good week, why make a big deal out of this?

Terrye on January 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM

If he gets reelected, and she runs for reelection, she, by virtue of history, has to help him out. See it from her point of view, ideology aside, and she’d see it as the right thing to do.

Loyalty.
Forgiveness.
Character.
Ideology—last place.

ted c on January 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM

She’s pretty much damned if she does, damned if she doesn’t so why not, the guy chose her as his running mate. She would not be where she is today had he not done so. Not even close.

scalleywag on January 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM

If Palin wants to support McCain she should wait until after the primary is over and Arizona Republicans have decided for themselves.

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Narutoboy on January 22, 2010 at 8:38 PM

NOTHING is NASTY about Michelle Malkin. Got it???
I just happen to think Michele Bachmann has a better resume than Sarah, whom I love.

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2010 at 8:41 PM

looks neck-n-neck for 1 and 2 there. Not as “palinbot-ish” here as you think, eh AP.

ted c on January 22, 2010 at 8:41 PM

yeah sure, Palin should listen to talking(writing) heads ..sure.

abobo on January 22, 2010 at 8:42 PM

I’m with Michelle.

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 8:39 PM

+ 1 and + about a million Tea Party members. From your Number 1 supporter…..bad move Sarah.

Wolfen on January 22, 2010 at 8:43 PM

It’s funny that the GOP Presidential candidate can’t even get 1/5 of the vote in this poll.

BadgerHawk on January 22, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Narutoboy on January 22, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Boo frikkin’ hoo hoo.

thomasaur on January 22, 2010 at 8:44 PM

JD Hayworth for the win!!!!!

Sarah Palin is doing this out of honor. I have no clue why she is supporting him other than that reason. But she should support people who are good for this country not because of loyalties.

cubachi on January 22, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I don’t think we have to worry about negative fallout from this. Sarah is her own girl. I WOULD like to see the Mac lose though. This old school thing is old.

Mojave Mark on January 22, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Palin owes it to McCain.

Here’s the line in my mind: Say good things about McCain, but no negative things about Hayworth. Say negative things about JD and then she’ll effect my opinion.

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM

It will be interesting to see if Meghan can resist doing any more hit jobs on Palin until the campaign is over.

Mistake for Palin, and a mistake for the conservative movement.

Vashta.Nerada on January 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I have always believed, for right or wrong, the NVN messed up McCain’s head while they held him for what–five years? Not quite a Manchurian Candidate, but…

I was neutral about Palin but now I have to lean against her.

Liam on January 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I’m presuming that those who want her to run from McCain now also urged her to run from him when he first brought her into the national spotlight, yes?

Patrick S on January 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM

And as for the Supreme Court ruling on McCain/Feingold, a lot of people like Fred Thompson supported that at the time because of the issue of corruption etc. There are times when the Supreme Court rules against conservatives too, this time they got a ruling they liked, fine..but what about Kelo and the rulings against military tribunals for detainees? If not for the fact that the Supreme Court dragged all that out for years KSM would have been tried years ago. And McCain was on the right side of that issue, he did support military tribunals. So while I will not and do not agree with McCain on everything, I don’t always disagree either, and neither does Sarah Palin.

Terrye on January 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM

She’s pretty much damned if she does, damned if she doesn’t so why not,

scalleywag on January 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Because by doing so she is betraying the very people of Arizona that she had claimed to represent, conservatives and Tea Partiers, in order to return a favor to a political crony, a crony whose political machine is also attacking the interests of conservatives and Tea Partiers in other races across the country.

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Sarah should agree to campaign for McCain in the general election, not in the primaries.

mydh12 on January 22, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Sarah should stay out of it until the primary is over, then campaign for the winner. Like I said in the headline thread, I would contribute to a conservative primary opponent.

The people of the state of Arizona can do better than a RINO that supports amnesty and big government.

farright on January 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM

and McCain’s sufficiently infamous for his centrism

Huh. Is that what that was?

Weight of Glory on January 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM

…this is actually a pretty shrewd move on her [Palin's]part

Yes, for the reasons mentioned. Plus, it further dilutes any residual Schmidt sh!t. (Was Levi a useful role model? Point guards are quick studies).

Barnestormer on January 22, 2010 at 8:49 PM

I figured she would campaign for him–which is why he was being all nice-nice. Would I rather McCain go away? Sure. But I always knew Governor Palin would help him just like he helped her in a way.

I’ve no problem with it.

Enoxo on January 22, 2010 at 8:49 PM

That is the best position.

Palin is her own person though, so the idea that she is betraying someone doesn’t resonate with me. I don’t find her hypocritical as she follows her own beat, and for that reason I appreciate her energy whether or not I agree on a specific action.

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Well, if she’s given him (McCain) her word, I bet she will… and I’ll respect her for it. “Let your ‘yes’ be ‘yes’ and your ‘no’ be ‘no’…”

dtestard on January 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Narutoboy on January 22, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I would submit it is those like McCain who were nearly the death of the republican party. Where have you been for the last year?

catmman on January 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Can she endorse both of them. ie: I personally know and trust Senator McCain, but regardless of who wins, Arizona will have a fine Republican to represent them in the Senate.

El_Terrible on January 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Exactly. It is the world of politics. They can claim ‘Maverick’ all they want but at the end of the day they are still playing the same old game.

sammypants on January 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM

I don’t have much use for McCain, but the fact is he is the one that gave Sarah her big break.

She has to be loyal to him. She doesn’t have to say she agrees with all his policies – I’ve never heard her do that. But she does owe the loyalty.

If you’re in a foxhole, and a guy saves your skin, you return the favor – you don’t make it contingent on his philosophy. She owes him – he’s never joined the crowd blaming her for this and that; he’s been loyal to her. She doesn’t have much choice.

ManUFan on January 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM

You people do realize she ran on his ticket, right? Why is the idea that she would support him during one of his elections so shocking to you?

Narutoboy on January 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Yes. We understand. Neither Mac nor Fred respected freedom of speech.

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Yes if he wins the primary. That’s enough.

tru2tx on January 22, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Just because Sarah Palin is returning a political favour by campaigning for McCain doesn’t mean she cant do a crappy half arsed job of it. Besides has anyone stopped to think that maybe the Saracuda really means to bring McCain’s campaign down from the inside and make it look like the fault of his campaign staff. Remember revenge is a dish best served cold.

Hellrider on January 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Voted “Sarah, no!”

No harm to her maybe. Some harm to those of us near the southern border who have to put up with his garbage 5 out of 6 years per term.

exdeadhead on January 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I don’t think Palin sees it this way. Most of the Tea Party people are primarily concerned with the issue of fiscal conservatism…and she might well feel that McCain is enough of a fiscal hawk to pass this test.

Terrye on January 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM

It’s right for Palin to do this, out of a sense of loyalty and gratitude. It’s right for the Tea Party to oppose it, out of principle. I’m not seeing a problem here.

Splunge on January 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Palin is right to support and show loyalty to McCain. Just wish she had negotiated harder in terms of his own support of her (very lukewarm to date), and the timing of her involvement and/or announcement.

csThor on January 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM

If McCain wins on his own, fine. Sarah has her own reasons for supporting McCain and that’s fine, but choices have consequences. No telling what will happen to her current level of support.

This move just seem so out-in-left field. Pun intended, I guess.

Oink on January 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Barnestormer on January 22, 2010 at 8:49 PM

The problem that you guys have is that you’re looking at this purely from the perspective of Palin’s own selfish interests, whereas what should concern you is: what is in the best interest of conservatives, Tea Partiers and Republicans in Arizona.

By washing your hands of them and only concerning yourself with Palin’s quest for power, you are defeating the very essence of what Palin fans have claimed she represents, the little people.

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I don’t care, I’ll leave it to the folks in Arizona.

Cindy Munford on January 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Hellrider on January 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Revengs? If not for McCain, Palin would not be where she is. And those staffers with lose lips did as much harm to his reputation as they did to Palin’s, maybe more.

I think she respects and feels she owes it to him.

Terrye on January 22, 2010 at 8:54 PM

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Do you think she’s going to have an impact?

What I mean is, don’t you think people understand that it’s natural she campaign for him – I don’t see why people would be swayed by it.

I think people can both appreciate her loyalty and hope JD beats McCain simultaneously.

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM

I don’t care, I’ll leave it to the folks in Arizona.

Cindy Munford on January 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Actually, that is a very sensible idea.

Terrye on January 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Terrye on January 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM

So you’re saying that Cap and Trade is conservative, then?

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM

I don’t care, I’ll leave it to the folks in Arizona.

Cindy Munford on January 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Wisest voice in this thread. God’s Blessings.

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM

I’d agree with AP about Palin not making nuch difference here. Some races she does, some she doesn’t, and some it is counter productive. This is clearly in the second category.

csThor on January 22, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Have there been any polls out yet showing Hayworth could win in a general? He lost his congressional seat in ’06, right? Just curious…

rightheaded on January 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I agree. It’s the perfect compromise.

SouthernGent on January 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Splunge on January 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM

It’s no more or less wrong than the NRSC supporting Crist over Rubio in the Florida primary, which I’m sure many Palin fans were highly critical of.

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Hayworth hasn’t even declared, it is a bit of a straw man argument here by MM, and I’d say Hayworth has a few personal/scandal issues. Could he even win, either against McCain or against a democrat? Simcox of course has no chance.

csThor on January 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I am not washing my hands of anybody. Both Hayworth and McCain are very well known in Arizona and the people who live there can make this decision without any help from us.

Terrye on January 22, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Remind me …all of you…how noble it was for Palin to show loyalty and class next time McCain freakin’ BETRAYS this country with his crap AMNESTY votes, or crap global warming votes or maybe his next gang of G.D. compromisers with the commie leftist trying to tear out republic apart piece by piece.

Please tell me how decent and classy Palin was being….won’t you?

Time to stand up for principles and stop with the old crony crap!

katy on January 22, 2010 at 8:58 PM

JD Hayworth may have been forced off the air by the McCain team: http://seeingredaz.wordpress.com/2009/12/16/grant-woods-grandstands-accuses-hayworth-kfyi-of-violations/

Is this an insiders game or what? You McCain supporters have no clue what kind of politician he is.

True_King on January 22, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I voted for JD when I lived in AZ and would love to see him replace McCain. He does have a problem. From wikipedia.

During the campaign, Hayworth was dogged by controversial affiliation with Jack Abramoff and over questions of propriety of payments to his wife from Hayworth’s PAC (see above). In a leaked internal email from the National Republican Congressional Committee, G.O.P. spokesman Carl Forti suggested that Hayworth’s defeat was caused by the “scandal factor”.

derft on January 22, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 8:49 PM

I told you she was a “maverick” instead of a conservative. She’s basically a Gingrich/McCain creation. It’s all about pushing them and their “conservative” radical agenda. It’s not like she’s Goldwater or anything.

The Dean on January 22, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Palin is awesome.
Malkin is awesome.
Bachmann is awesome.
McCain…not so much.

I’ll give Palin some points for loyalty.

justltl on January 22, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Maybe Palin is as stupid as the libs have been saying .

borntoraisehogs on January 22, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Maybe it’s more like McCain Stockholm Syndrome?

missl on January 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I try to stick to the rule about choosing battles carefully so that you won’t spend your entire life fighting. Therefore, eh.

redwhiteblue on January 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I hope J.D. Haywoth beats McCain’s ass like a bongo drum. I’m giving this guy some serious bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

katy on January 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Aren’t you the one with the continual ‘donate to Scott Brown’ links? How is that congruent with leave it to Arizona.

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I like Michele Bachmann even better. Sorry.

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2010 at 8:36 PM

OmahaConservative: Thats,Bachman Overdrive,tee-hee!!:)

canopfor on January 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM

“She gets credit for being a good soldier, especially in light of the sniping at her from his former campaign aides, whereas he gets maybe a few extra votes from conservatives.”

Sarah has to back John McCain, for putting her on the map…

But what happens if John drops out, due to J.D. beating him in the polls?

Seven Percent Solution on January 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM

JD Hayworth quits radio show. To McCain: “It’s time for you to come home.”

Put the old RINO out to pasture!

farright on January 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Spot on!

Joy on January 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Do you think she’s going to have an impact?

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Yes, I do. I think there is a share of her supporters that will do whatever she says, and that it could very well make the difference. In fact, apparently McCain and Hayworth were polling about even, (not sure of the details), until the last week or so and now McCain is way ahead in the most recent poll.

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM

katy on January 22, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Palin ran.on.McCain’s.Ticket. What don’t you get? If you have a problem with Palin supporting McCain now, then you had no reason to like her to begin with.

Narutoboy on January 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM

At least Fred said McCain/Feingold was a mistake that didn’t do what it was intended to do, and he wouldn’t do it again.

apollyonbob on January 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM

The Dean on January 22, 2010 at 8:59 PM

A Gingrich/McCain creation? You have not been paying attention.

I don’t want a Goldwater, necessarily. I’ll take Reagan.

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 9:02 PM

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM

yeah, and who is looking better in that primary right now? I think the NRSC supported Crist way too early, because they thought he was a sure thing. That was a mistake, obviously. But Palin is not the NRSC. She is a private citizen and she can campaign for and support anyone she likes. Has Hayworth actually said he was running? And if he has not officially joined the race, then why get after Palin for this now?

Terrye on January 22, 2010 at 9:02 PM

I was neutral about Palin but now I have to lean against her.

Liam on January 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Yeah, moron-in-chief. For the guy who advocated surge in Iraq when no one else had the balls to do. He saved a war!

And who he should be dumped for? Some two-whack radio host!

rightistliberal on January 22, 2010 at 9:02 PM

JD!

backwoods conservative on January 22, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM

These two guys have ‘R’s behind their names. MA rarely has an ‘R’ with viability in any race.

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Scott Brown was running against a Democrat in a general/special election.

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 9:03 PM

True_King on January 22, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I wouldn’t put it past McCain to pull crap like this.
He’s a NASTY piece of backstabbing crap!

katy on January 22, 2010 at 9:03 PM

And the McCain Mutiny is still on the high seas,
never to find a port,and Capt’n McQueeg is still
hoping for another come back!!

canopfor on January 22, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Ideology—last place.

ted c on January 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I think you’ve labeled it wrong. I call it principles.

It ranks #1. She could have stayed out of the race easily until after the primaries.

Sorry, but SarahPac get no more $$$ from me. Hayworth will get it.

stenwin77 on January 22, 2010 at 9:03 PM

apollyonbob on January 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Yeah. Doesn’t negate very poor judgment though. Kind of frightening when authors can’t determine what their legislation will do.

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Interesting. I don’t live in Arizona, so I don’t have a good feel on the local sentiment. I take your word for it.

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I am not a Arizona voter. Nor do I fawn over McCain. I would like to know more about Mr Hayworth- I gave a little to Brown’s campaing, a first for me and if I send money for this race, I would like to know I am picking the right candidate.

From McCain’s ad:

He sounds conservative on the radio, but J.D. was one of the biggest spenders in Congress. In 2005, they passed a bill with six thousand five hundred pork barrel earmarks worth more than twenty four billion dollars. J.D. voted for every one.

Would he have voted for the Stimulus? especially if there were perks for Arizona?

journeyintothewhirlwind on January 22, 2010 at 9:04 PM

canopfor on January 22, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Yep. Heard her on Beck’s radio show. She was tickled.

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2010 at 9:04 PM

New Freeper thread here:

True_King on January 22, 2010 at 9:04 PM

You dance with the one who brought you…

Why would this be any different than the ’08 campaign?

John will go out and bore the audience to tears.

Sarah will draw the big crowds and fire up the faithful.

Don’t overanalyze this.

Just watch and enjoy.

turfmann on January 22, 2010 at 9:04 PM

campaign. Distracted fingers and sleepy brain.

journeyintothewhirlwind on January 22, 2010 at 9:05 PM

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2010 at 9:02 PM

So no endorsement during primaries, only endorsements during generals. Which is to say, worthless endorsements since they will be down the party line.

Thanks for squaring your circle for me.

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM

I think that’s true of many/most of them, but there is a significant share of her fans that believe she is infallible.

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 9:06 PM

The old McCain (pre-1998) has been out during the current Congress, not the 1998-2008 RINO sucking up to the Beltway crowd. Maybe he learned that selling out isn’t the way to achieve your goals.

pdigaudio on January 22, 2010 at 9:06 PM

As President of the Palinista Nation – I don’t understand why people are upset about this.

Hey look – we want Sarah to run don’t we? Well, as good as she’s doing – she can still has some negatives among independents who have bought in to the whole Socialist Media line that she’s a fascist or something.

McCain IS seen as a “moderate” among people who lean a bit to the left side – she benefits from this. When she endorses him – he’s also endorsing her.

And … she has to reach out – if not accross the isle to the Democrats – then at least to the wayward RINO’s a bit. Who else would you have her campaign for? Grahamnesty? Collins? Snowe?

Or how about John McCain – a RINO that we can all stomach because of his service to our country?

This is a win for her – and he’s going to OWE her for this. If there is one thing about John McCain – he’ll pay back his debts. Somehow he took a liking to the President of Georgia – and he was willing to go to war for the guy.

This is ONLY positive for Sarah.

HondaV65 on January 22, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Scott Brown was running against a Democrat in a general/special election.

FloatingRock on January 22, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Meaning?

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 9:06 PM

If not for McCain, she’s still be the unknown governor of Alaska.

She pretty much has to do it.

Don’t like it much, but I can understand it. I’ll give her a little credit for loyalty.

tsj017 on January 22, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Narutoboy on January 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Read my post again and use the deeper recesses of your brain before you expose yourself like this.
So what if she ran on his ticket. So what? She is compromising her core principles of conservatism for cronyism…
I liked her to begin with BECAUSE of her prinicples. Now I question them and how firmly she is entrenched in them.

katy on January 22, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I don’t care, I’ll leave it to the folks in Arizona.

Cindy Munford on January 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Actually, that is a very sensible idea.

Terrye on January 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM

I could be wrong but I don’t recall either of you saying that about Massachusetts.

sammypants on January 22, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Sorry, but SarahPac get no more $$$ from me. Hayworth will get it.

stenwin77 on January 22, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Same here, I still support Sarah but think that she has made a mistake here. Hayworth will get some $$ from me when he gets a donation site set up.

farright on January 22, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I have a teensier different take than y’all.
I think Sarah was kind of poleaxed in the interview, and said she would campaign for McCain…and she meant it. Yep, she is very loyal. But McCain LET HIS HANDLERS throw her under the bus, post-election.
That sort of gives her an out, and actually, puts her in a position of strength. She can say to McCain (vs. Heyworth in the primary), “OK, fine, I’ll campaign my rogueish can off for you IF you promise not to cross over and make nicey-nice with the goofy left, and IF you promise to stay true to conservative values…and IF…yada, yada.”…you get my point.
If he doesn’t agree, she’s free. If he does…what a delicious turn of events and he is totally beholdin’ to her!
She can call the shots here, and I love it!

Chewy the Lab on January 22, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Thanks for squaring your circle for me.

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Oh, please. I prefer JD if you want the truth. Is his hat even in the ring? Find me where to send money and I’ll bombard with $$$$$$$$$$$$ bold again.

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Uhm, I don’t remember her ever espousing the label “true” conservative. It has been “common sense” conservative.

Remember that “true” conservatives HATED Ronald Reagan when he was governor of California, when he ran for the Republican nomination in 1976, and when he finally won the White House in 1980.

I see some of the same thing in Palin. Now the far right likes to hang their star on the legacy of Reagan but at the time “conservative” Republicans couldn’t stand Reagan and thought he was too tolerant of liberal Republicans.

crosspatch on January 22, 2010 at 9:08 PM