Believe it or not: Chris Matthews destroys Grayson over reconciliation on ObamaCare

posted at 9:11 pm on January 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

I don’t know what to think anymore, guys. First he takes Howard Dean to the cleaners over his lame spin on Massachusetts, now this. Meanwhile, Jack Cafferty’s on CNN inveighing against the Democrats and political correctness seemingly every damned day. What’s next? David Shuster laying into some liberal for calling right-wingers “teabaggers”?

Are we seeing … realignment here?

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I saw this on TV when it first aired. Pure Joy. Let’s just hope Chrissie stays on his meds.

CapitalistPig on January 22, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Gotta go through a Carter to get a Reagan.

John the Libertarian on January 22, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Fostering a false sense of security.
Do.Not.Trust.

Mr. Arrogant on January 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Are we seeing … realignment here?

Nah. You’re giving them too much credit. They’re just turning on each other. Simple blame game.

Oink on January 22, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I do think Grayson is bat$h!t crazy though.

Oink on January 22, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Too bad Matthews and Hardball hardly have any viewers.

hepcat on January 22, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Not surprised, even a broken clock gets it right once in a while. He gets no credibility from it though,Leopards liberals do not change their spots.

John the Libertarian on January 22, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Yep.

rukiddingme on January 22, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Why would Matthews put up with DNC patronizing towards the nutroots? He’s one of them, I’d take it personally too.

abobo on January 22, 2010 at 9:21 PM

He’s just a media whore looking for ratings and something to whine about.

bbz123 on January 22, 2010 at 9:21 PM

This was tingly-pi$$y
once upon a time

macncheez on January 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Dogs and cats living together . Peter Venkman PhD .

borntoraisehogs on January 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Gotta go through a Carter to get a Reagan.

John the Libertarian on January 22, 2010 at 9:15 PM

But this time we don’t allow the establishment to take over as soon as the next Reagan finishes his second term.

True_King on January 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM

My God! If we’ve lost Matthews we’ve lost the country!

–not that Chrissie is any Walter, but, then, neither was Walter.

Regards,
Ric

warlocketx on January 22, 2010 at 9:23 PM

They’re just at each others throats for the moment.

GarandFan on January 22, 2010 at 9:23 PM

That was unexpected.

Spirit of 1776 on January 22, 2010 at 9:23 PM

If Matthews would do this more often he might get more than 10 people to watch his show every night.

echosyst on January 22, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I thought you were yankin’ the chain tonight AP, that was pure comedy gold. Ol’ Tingles took the boy to school and stole his lunch money too.

ted c on January 22, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I do think Grayson is bat$h!t crazy though.

Oink on January 22, 2010 at 9:19 PM

I’m pretty sure that’s what got Matthews all fired up. He’s perfectly content to bash Republicans, but wackos like Grayson are doing the Democrats no favors.

Incidentally, this sort of ‘challenging of his own,’ so to speak, used to happen pretty regularly on Hardball back before Fox News took over the industry. It’s a shame that Matthews decided to skip the journalism part of the job somewhere along the way. He was pretty good at it.

vitocorleone99 on January 22, 2010 at 9:25 PM

brutal takedown.

elduende on January 22, 2010 at 9:25 PM

There must be some kind of cosmic realignment or harmonic convergence going on this week after the last twelve months of pure hell we’ve been through.

tru2tx on January 22, 2010 at 9:26 PM

CapitalistPig on January 22, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Saw it on O’Reilly. Never watch tingle-legs myself. But I must admit, I wondered who had taken over Chrissie’s body. I could hardly believe what I was hearing come out of his mouth. Could he actually be converted to a conservative point of view? Nah, but it was fun to watch.

IrishEyes on January 22, 2010 at 9:27 PM

there are citizens who know more than this elected official in terms of our country’s laws. How sad is it that someone we elected to represent us is so clueless in regards to the laws that govern our country. I can’t believe that I am agreeing with Chris frickin Matthews. I think that crissy’s bosses told him that if he didnt start following what fox is doing, that he’d be fired.

viviliberoomuori on January 22, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Am I the only one who does not want this week to end?

Babino on January 22, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Blue on blue…because of Brown.

SouthernGent on January 22, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Wowzer. Chris Matthews just schooled Grayson on reconciliation???? Man, even I’m embarrassed for that dude. This reminds me of a long time ago when Matthews didn’t used to be just another left-wing media tool. Maybe the Brown victory jolted his synapses into alignment again.

cynccook on January 22, 2010 at 9:28 PM

You elect one Republican to the Senate in MA and the entire world flips upside down.

BadgerHawk on January 22, 2010 at 9:28 PM

wow

BKeyser on January 22, 2010 at 9:28 PM

tru2tx on January 22, 2010 at 9:26 PM

+10. At least a full moon or something!

Oink on January 22, 2010 at 9:29 PM

We gotta start a petition to get Grayson is own talk show.

Bruce in NH on January 22, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I hope,”Chris the Tingle”,stops having tingles,and
gets uncontrollable throbbing surges where they have
to do some real serious editing!!(sarc).

canopfor on January 22, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I don’t know if Grayson is pandering here, I think he may be deluded enough to really believe it. Remember, this is a guy who thinks he can have someone thrown in jail for making fun of him on the internet. His understanding of the law is somewhat, shall we say, nuanced.

RINO in Name Only on January 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM

What is it about this week? Brown started the dominoes falling and it has been nonstop ever since then. I’m going to have me some Guinness and just count my blessings. The only saving grace is that there are so few Repubs in DC nowadays that the likelihood that one will step on his crank is lower than usual.

ted c on January 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Blue on blue…because of Brown.

SouthernGent on January 22, 2010 at 9:27 PM

SouthernGent: The Avatar Affect!!I kid:)

canopfor on January 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM

How, in the name of God Almighty, can anyone vote for such an insufferable moron as Alan Grayson?

sondiehl on January 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM

RINO in Name Only on January 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM

In case I never mentioned it before, I love your screen name.

BadgerHawk on January 22, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Am I the only one who does not want this week to end?

Babino on January 22, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Check out the Brooks piece in the headlines.

Three cheers for Incoherent and Internecine!

Regards,
Ric

warlocketx on January 22, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I don’t trust em(the Dems) not for a minute, not for a second. From here until November they will be try to play themselves off as Moderates for votes. Keep your guard up Ladies and Gentlemen.

Dragoonchris on January 22, 2010 at 9:34 PM

They’re going to do it.

unclesmrgol on January 22, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Trying to help their ratings?

Cindy Munford on January 22, 2010 at 9:34 PM

grayson isn’t crazy, he is dumb.

rob verdi on January 22, 2010 at 9:34 PM

2 crazy people hallucinating…

winston on January 22, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Softening the opposition up, challenging the Dumbsh!tocrats to get fired up.

We’ll see, won’t we.

TinMan13 on January 22, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I have to admit,in the last year,I really do
dispise Grayson,on the otherhand,he is the
face of the Liberal Party,and he needs to be
paraded a lot more,so Americans can see the REAL
LEFT!!

canopfor on January 22, 2010 at 9:35 PM

+10. At least a full moon or something!

Oink on January 22, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I think it is because our Saints have a chance to get to the Super Bowl! Wouldn’t THAT be the perfect end to a perfect week!

lukespapa on January 22, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Mean whilst in the real world…

“EPA, congressional Black Caucus announce joint environmental justice tour”

Seven Percent Solution on January 22, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Ass handed on a platter by Crissy. WOW! Stupid is as stupid does. No wonder NAnZI passes stuff.

OmahaConservative on January 22, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Speaking of idiot Grayson!!
============================

Cong Alan Grayson disgusting bite montage
——————————————

canopfor on January 22, 2010 at 9:38 PM

It just tells you how much the scales have tipped. Not going to happen unless they absolutely have to. It’s an interesting thing to observe…you can pretty much gather who’s further left than the next talking hea by how long it takes them to accept something that resembles reality.

So far I’d say Matthews is just to the left of Cafferty, who is just to the left of Stewart. Olbermann, Maddow, and Shuster’s ranks are still to be determined….and likely never will be. They’re in it to the end.

stldave on January 22, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Welcome to the Matthews’ Weather Vane Company.

“We follow the prevailing wind”

BobMbx on January 22, 2010 at 9:40 PM

tru2tx on January 22, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Ah, I b’lieve that would be “Moronic Divergence.”

Wind Chimes. Fruit Loops. And the crowd goes wild…

warbaby on January 22, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I just got a thrill up my leg.

Jorge Bonilla on January 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Best….week…..EVAH!

Jorge Bonilla on January 22, 2010 at 9:43 PM

grayson isn’t crazy, he is dumb.

rob verdi on January 22, 2010 at 9:34 PM

From what I’ve seen he’s both.

thomasaur on January 22, 2010 at 9:43 PM

This reminds me of the Burning Man festival….keynote acts.

ted c on January 22, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Meh, I think they both don\’t know what they are talking about. For Matthews, I think he wants to run for public office someday, and being tough on the nutroots new chosen one will let him, in his mind, point to being a moderate should he run one day.That being said, a lot of the Senate bill can be passed through reconciliation, but the Republicans can gut it using various points of order on measures that don\’t directly effect the budget, this is because of what is called \”the byrd rule\” named after the one and only senator byrd. For those interested, the Congressional Research Service has a good summary here: http://budget.house.gov/crs-reports/RL30862.pdf

schmitty on January 22, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Another Harvard flunky. Seriously though, how is Harvard the number one law school in the country when their graduates don’t understand law at all?

Help me someone!!! I need to know why they are better than you or I.

Lance Murdock on January 22, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Bust out more popcorn!

I hope I laid in a big enough supply of the stuff…

ajacksonian on January 22, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Did you guys see this one?

Biff : “We gotta lotta bums.”

Judy: “Yeah, and my electric bill’s through the roof.”

Mickey: “Hey, gang, my uncle’s got an old barn he’s not using, and Officer Wilson says there’s a bunch of stolen bicycles down at the police station. And Jimmy’s been studying up on generators at the swell Boys’ Club Mr.Boynton opened last week. Let’s put on a show!”

Ten bums, 4 hours a day. Three houses. Oh hell yes, that’ll work.

From Gateway Pundit:

warbaby on January 22, 2010 at 9:45 PM

This tool Grayson posted a diary on Kos yesterday

ArmyAunt on January 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Grayson knows he’s going to lose his seat in Nov, so he’s essentially applying for a job instead of actually campaigning for re-election.

He’s sick and twisted rather than crazy–and it will get Worse

Janos Hunyadi on January 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Girl fight! I was hoping Grayson would come across the table and knock some sense in Chrissy’s head…..darn!!

yoda on January 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I love how Grayson’s defense is that this is what he is being told. That’s all you have? Then why don’t they just get the person who is telling you this on the air. Of course, if that happened the answer would be something like, “Oh we just tell him that so he will leave.”

stldave on January 22, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Hardball used to be a fairly decent program. Of course this was many years ago. This clip is reminicent of how CM used to conduct his show before he went coo coo. I thought CM’s political analysis during the Bush/Gore election 10 years ago was pretty darn good. Then CM went off the deep end and has been drowning in his own spittle ever since. It would be nice to see him be this effective more often.

glennbo on January 22, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Dogs and cats living together . Peter Venkman PhD .

borntoraisehogs on January 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM

We have 4 dogs & 5 cats and thay all get along just fine but were all tea party types

KATDADDY on January 22, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Matthews is just tired of hearing bullsht on one topic on which he has a lot of personal knowledge. Even liberals can be intelligent people when they have the actual facts.

pedestrian on January 22, 2010 at 9:51 PM

I keep getting this feeling that we are being set up…

d1carter on January 22, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Holy schmoke, just move on!
Chrissy just threw you lefties a bone…it was a femor from the humpbot.
Silly fodder to make the masses think they are practicing actual journalism.

Chewy the Lab on January 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Ten bums, 4 hours a day. Three houses. Oh hell yes, that’ll work.

From Gateway Pundit:

warbaby on January 22, 2010 at 9:45 PM

warbaby:Heard that on CoastoCoast a couple nights ago,I nearly died laughing my *ss off!!!

But..but…were doin are part to save Mother Earth!!:)

canopfor on January 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Please, please, please put Grayson on TV more. No Republican ad can do as much to turn people off of libtards as this douchebag can.

Sugar Land on January 22, 2010 at 9:53 PM

RINO in Name Only on January 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM

In case I never mentioned it before, I love your screen name.

BadgerHawk on January 22, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Thanks. Maybe you did mention it before – I remember someone did awhile back.

RINO in Name Only on January 22, 2010 at 9:53 PM

KATDADDY on January 22, 2010 at 9:50 PM

KATDADDY:We have one dog,three cats,I can imagine
what your going through,haha:)

canopfor on January 22, 2010 at 9:55 PM

EPIC!!!

That was pure enjoyment. Grayson is an embarrasment to his district.

phadedjaded on January 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I don’t know what the nutroots did to piss Tweety off, but god they REALLY pissed him off.

Every nutroots darling that’s gone on his show—Grayson and Dean are the alpha and Omega of the DU/Kos folks right now—has been brutallized by Chrissie not because he disapproves of them per se (though he might) but because they were representatives of the DKos/DU Progressive nutroots ppl that Matthews accused of “kids who sit in the backseat and need to grow up”.

Khorum on January 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Sugar Land on January 22, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Sugar Land:Amen,and U-Betcha,get Grayson out there 24/7!:)

canopfor on January 22, 2010 at 9:58 PM

stldave on January 22, 2010 at 9:50 PM

LOL You may be on to something there!

cynccook on January 22, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Used to watch his show fairly regularly until he was frothing at the mouth nightly about the whole Plame/Wilson saga and his desire for Rove to be charged.

Have tuned in, though, since Tuesday night to check-in and see what the lefts next line of attack is going to be. Heard him interview Axelrod and at the end of the interview, he said, “Let me give you some advice. You should go for HC and reconciliation.” Not sure why he was pushing it with Axelrod and then took out Grayson tonight for making the same suggestion.

reallyfive on January 22, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Just wait till,what have you not done for me lately,
ObamaVoterBots wake up from the wearing off KOOL-AID,
and the Lefty Insurrection begins!!!!!(sarc).

canopfor on January 22, 2010 at 10:01 PM

A match to the death!

Mathews vs Grayson

Is it all right to wish them BOTH to lose???

(Tingles 180 has me wondering what that Memo from upstairs really said!)

GoldenEagle4444 on January 22, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Remember when CM used to fill in for Rush? He can speak truth when it suits him. And he’s pretty good at it too. Too bad he sold his soul.

paul1149 on January 22, 2010 at 10:03 PM

the only thing Tingles loves more than Obama is his chance to take someone down, and make them look stupid.

He gets off on it.

Don’t you remember him going after those Obama supporters, trying to get them to name one Obama accomplishment? He never actually put 2 and 2 together and realized that Obama supporters couldn’t name any accomplishments because he didn’t have any.

He did everything he could do get Obama elected, and continue his hatred of Hillary Clinton. He still wants to make sura Obama is a succesful President, remember, he said it was his *job*.

He just likes to get all excited and spittle all over his guests when he realizes they left themselves vulnerable. He’s still a Bot.

sarainitaly on January 22, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Where are all the trolls?

Americannodash on January 22, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Eating their own to survive.

suzyk on January 22, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I don’t know what to think anymore, guys.

Just my take, AP, but if you’ve listened closely to Olbermann, Matthews and Maddow these past few days, I think you will find that ideologically they’re all very, very dedicated Progressives, who think that the Libs have warped the Democratic Party, and that they think that the Democratic Party has blown the chance of a lifetime to enact true socialistic legislation in various forms this past year or so. The Progressives are lashing out fiercely at everyone, from all sides of the political spectrum, for destroying their last true chance for decades to enact their Marxist agenda.

KendraWilder on January 22, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Somebody’s BDS is in remission

phreshone on January 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Am I the only one who does not want this week to end?

Babino on January 22,

Babino, it certainly has been one really glorious week!!!! Maybe we’ll get a few more. Here’s hoping….

chai on January 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Tingles know what happened back in 94 and how Bill C was a two termer because of his walk back to the center. He also knows that Obama and the likes of Grayson would not walk back to center to save the election and hold power. He is trying to warn them to act like slick Willy and say only what they can do and stop promising the world and all that can be deliver is a lump of dirt.

tjexcite on January 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Are we seeing … realignment here?

The self interest survival instinct is what is happening here. All of a sudden Chris Matthews was jolted back into reality. He wants to be relevant, not a joke. This is most certainly aided by John Stewart’s demolition of Olberman whom Crissie just despises.

Matthews also sees the left wing leadership of the Democrats destroying the party and he does not like it and knows that they will sink Obama if they aren’t stopped. Remember protection of The One and his reelection is foremost in the media’s mind.

Theworldisnotenough on January 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Grayson’s such a sleazy piece of filth.

That being said, he looked completely blind-sided by Matthews.

Amazing.

David2.0 on January 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I get the sense that Prissy is like that one crazy-ass soldier who’s standing in the middle of the circle of his fellow soldiers, confronting the lieutenant or the captain who’s trying to sell his troops on the end-around, or the sneak-attack, or something that’s just too clever by half, but in fact the crazy-ass soldier is really just moments away from pulling a couple of grenades from his belt, yanking the pins with with his teeth, and crashing through enemy lines yelling at the top of his lungs, indifferent to his ultimate fate.

greggriffith on January 22, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Ha ha. Loved that clip.

It’s not that hard to decipher what got Matthews going…Grayson tried to play Alpha Wonk with Chris Matthews. And Matthews wasn’t having it. Watch it again and count how often he talks up his resume. Good for you, Matthews, it ain’t bragging if you can do it!

Chris_Balsz on January 22, 2010 at 10:09 PM

This was tingly-pi$$y
once upon a time

macncheez on January 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM

macncheez:Gotta love it,Tingles was pushing for the ZERO’S
zero accomplishments,awesome,haha!!:)

canopfor on January 22, 2010 at 10:09 PM

We gotta start a petition to get Grayson is own talk show.

Bruce in NH on January 22, 2010 at 9:29 PM

no need – it already exists – “Countdown with Keith Olberman”

When Olby had Grayson on his show, they used that good old split screen technology that has been around since Adam West played Batman.

kscheuller on January 22, 2010 at 10:11 PM

When Matthews is good, he’s good! That was awesome!

JellyToast on January 22, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Grayson is such a used-car salesman. Once they bounce him out of office, he can get bit work in Hollywood playing the creepy guy next door who keeps offering kids candy to get in his van and help find his lost puppy.

Asher on January 22, 2010 at 10:17 PM

tjexcite on January 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Exactamundo! Very good analysis of Chris Matthews take on what happened last Tuesday. He is only thinking of Obama again. He truly wants Obama to be successful and he knows it will take at least two terms. Will the rest of the power players see what Matthews sees? We’ll find out. Senator Dodd evidently sees it, doesn’t he?

Americannodash on January 22, 2010 at 10:19 PM

How far gone are the Dems when Chris Matthews is appearing twice in a week as the voice of common sense, and reason? This is sweeter than sugar.

Southernblogger on January 22, 2010 at 10:19 PM

I haven’t watched Hardball since the ugly 2004 Matthews/Malkin incident and Zell Miller’s hilarious duel challenge to avenge Michelle. Previously I watched often enough to know that Matthews has a GOP upbringing and Republican relatives who don’t hesitate to share their perspectives with him. I also know that his partisanship is much more blatant and unchecked during election years, so this is probably his way of trying to save the Democratic majority in November.

Terrie on January 22, 2010 at 10:21 PM

There MUST be some realignment going on, at least internally in Matthews’ head so far.

You gotta remember Tweety pretty much admitted on national television that we was gonna make it his job to make sure that Obama’s presidency becomes a success.

It’s one thing to say that in January 20, 2009 and something else to say it today. Matthews has had a year to reasses his leg-tingles now. They ALL have. At least some of them must be balancing the arithmetic between their careers and credibility versus prolonging MSNBC’s sycophancy to the dems.

When it becomes clear beyond all doubt that Obama and the Democrats are simply incapable of basic governance, not even Olbermann can stay smug.

Khorum on January 22, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Wow. I love when he laughs Grayson. If he keeps this up, I may have to look on on the show.

pearson on January 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM

From now on when I want to call someone a tool I will call them a GRAYSON.

CWforFreedom on January 22, 2010 at 10:26 PM