Audio: Glenn Beck apologizes to Scott Brown, sort of

posted at 6:10 pm on January 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

Two clips via the indefatigable Right Scoop, the first from Beck’s appearance on Jay Severin’s radio show this afternoon and the second from his own show earlier in the day. He’s not sorry for the jokes about the dead intern or Brown having to wear a chastity belt — nor should he be, as I said in my first post about this — but he is sorry for making a big deal in the first flush of victory about Brown’s own joke on his daughters on election night. Good enough. The only thing left unanswered: Why he thought Brown’s joke was so inappropriate in the first place. The second clip is basically eight minutes of Beck warning his listeners not to be humorless scolds and “machine” hacks by getting on him just because he’s goofing on a Republican instead of a Democrat, but … that wasn’t the problem with what he said. The problem is that he mocked Brown for what was to most people, I think, actually an endearingly human moment at the podium. Quoth Ayla Brown: “My Mom and I said, Dad, ‘You always do that.’ It was really funny.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If this was written into the format of a screen play scene in the movie “Mean Girls,” who in that movie would Allahpundit be? Tina Fey the falsely accused pusher?

I hit submit instead of preview last time.

Americannodash on January 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM

First of all, Beck is old school. He’s got the mindset of people of our grandparents generation. Tell me, can you picture your Grandfather saying something like this about your mom when she was in her teens/early 20s… or ever?

RightWinged on January 20, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Old school? LOL. I guess I should pull up my comment but I don’t feel like hunting it down. What Scott Brown said is not much different than what Mr. Bennet said about his daughters in Pride and Prejudice. That was written in the early 19th century. Back then, it was the father’s duty to find suitable husbands for his daughters. Scott Brown made a joke vis a vis that “old school” role that fathers played.

Beck was not being “old school”. He was being politically correct in the same febrile, paranoid environment that does not allow men to go to parks where children play (as the law dictates in Britain). Even fathers are not permitted to take his children to play in a park in Britain, because he is probably some “pervert”, according to the nanny state bureaucrats there.

Beck was dead wrong. And so are you. Try to go back and catch up with historical cultural mores beyond the past 30 years. It might give you some perspective.

Mr. Bennet:

“My dear, I shall write Mr. Bingley, and inform him that I have five daughters, and he is welcome to any of them that he chooses. They’re all silly and ignorant like other girls… well, Lizzy has a bit more wit than the rest…”

atheling on January 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM

The problem here isn’t that Beck’s joke is offensively offensive, it’s just a mean-spirited thing to do to point at someone’s lighthearted joke about his daughters and then try to give it creepy vibe like their’s something wrong with their relationship. It’s humor, but it’s a jackass kind of humor, and not really all that funny anyway.

RINO in Name Only on January 22, 2010 at 6:56 PM

RightWinged on January 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I’m glad you are not my Dad.

rockmom on January 22, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Anyway, the answer is still, no.

AnninCA on January 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Sad for you. You’ll do more for yourself on liberal sites for now.

Liam on January 22, 2010 at 6:57 PM

AnninCA on January 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM

You qouted me here out of context, and missed my point. And, in so doing, proved it.

TXUS on January 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM

rockmom on January 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM

I think you are right. Don’t hate to say it, this is probably the first big political thing to happen that he wasn’t involved with in some way. He’ll be fine not being the driving force every once in awhile.

Cindy Munford on January 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM

atheling on January 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM

My favorite book Funny how current it is.

Cindy Munford on January 22, 2010 at 6:59 PM

RightWinged

I confess! I could find many pictures of my 3 sisters and I, in bikinis,with my Dad! Mom too! I do not find this odd. Young women wear bikinis (even Conservatives).

IowaWoman on January 22, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Does anybody else of a certain age (like me) remember the over-arching theme in real life families for centuries of getting their daughters “married off” so as not to become “old maids”?

He didn’t say anything wrong or offensive, this country is going off the deep end over-analyzing everything said and finding sexual inuendo or overtones in every damn thing. that’s said.

It’s ridiculous. Shut up already and worry about something important, like getting this guy to help stop the take over of our new socialist over-lords.

Tim Zank on January 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM

This guy is the KO of Fox. Give it up. He’s the epitome of absurd commentary.

AnninCA on January 22, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Your analogy is flawed. Glenn Beck doesn’t take himself seriously. He admits to being part clown, as it’s part of his style. He’s over the top, and makes no bones about it.

KO, on the other hand, takes himself completely seriously, fancies himself a resurrected Murrow, gets far more personal with insults than Beck ever does, and considers himself a pure newsman.

Beck knows what he is, and accepts it. KO is a delusional, petty little jerk who makes ad hominems on his show similar to comments on Democratic Underground.

MadisonConservative on January 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM

RightWinged on January 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I’m glad you are not my Dad.

rockmom on January 22, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Ditto that.

atheling on January 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM

TXUS on January 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Libs can’t be anything other than what they are. They all use the same tactic, to deflect from the matter at hand and score a ‘win’. You mention jihad, they call up the Crusades.

More recently, Olbie noted Scott Brown did a Cosmo spread in 1982. That was 28 YEARS ago! Libs are more F’d up than a touchdown during the World Series.

Liam on January 22, 2010 at 7:02 PM

The problem here isn’t that Beck’s joke is offensively offensive, it’s just a mean-spirited thing to do to point at someone’s lighthearted joke about his daughters and then try to give it creepy vibe like theirthere’s something wrong with their relationship. It’s humor, but it’s a jackass kind of humor, and not really all that funny anyway.

RINO in Name Only on January 22, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Every time I see someone else do this I instantly conclude that they are an idiot who should never have been allowed to graduate from the fifth grade.

RINO in Name Only on January 22, 2010 at 7:03 PM

And as a woman, no, I won’t STFU. I stopped paying attention to men’s orders a long time ago.

However, go right ahead with the pee-pee comments.
AnninCA on January 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM

No one keeping the home fires burning?? You should get ahold of Maureen Dowd and find out how she deals with it. She does have her OpEd thing in the Times to vent her spleen to the entire world.

This guy is the KO of Fox. Give it up. He’s the epitome of absurd commentary.

AnninCA on January 22, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Van Jones is in total agreement with you.

BigWyo on January 22, 2010 at 7:03 PM

If I’m listening btwn the lines properly, based on comments he’s made on his radio show, Beck’s innate overprotectiveness has off the scale in the last couple of months because he’s been warned by the FBI that they are monitoring several threats against him and his family.

It’s in light of that situation that I think his reaction to what was exuberant, guileless joking around on Scott Brown’s part was based.

Brown’s error was that he said what he did on a national stage, and that may (God forbid) cause problems for his daughter in the future; Beck’s error was to see something sinister in Brown’s joke because sinister elements have recently broken into Beck’s life.

Scott Brown’s comments were unwise, but understandable. Beck’s response was hypersensitive, but understandable.

I’m glad to see that Beck has more visibly recanted his response — even though he was already clarifying the limits of his criticism an hour after it happened. The segment that got all the press was hardly the entirety of his comments about it, nor was his opinion at the time set in stone.

Harpazo on January 22, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Exactly! Those who can’t see that are not looking back far enough.

Indeed. It’s sick.

Tim Zank on January 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Amen.

atheling on January 22, 2010 at 7:04 PM

MadisonConservative on January 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Man makes a good point.

TheUnrepentantGeek on January 22, 2010 at 7:04 PM

My favorite book Funny how current it is.

Cindy Munford on January 22, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Yup, that’s why it’s a classic! Human nature never changes.

atheling on January 22, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Not only was Beck’s reaction to Brown’s comment about his daughters over the top, but he only begrudgingly offered congratulations to Brown that day. He ended the program by offering his “sincere” congratulations (with a scowl on his face) and then warned that he’d be watching him like a hawk. It had the threatening tone of a Chicago politician, which is what Beck is supposed to abhor. Very disappointing performance from Beck.

His “Revolutionary Holocaust” special tonight was darned good though – this is what he does best.

Buy Danish on January 22, 2010 at 7:10 PM

But what I really didn’t laugh at was his remarks about women in general. “What do they want? We all know they don’t make sense.”

OK, but that’s not funny, one. Two, it’s just plain ole’ sexism.

AnninCA on January 22, 2010 at 6:17 PM

The irony of this comment is simply beautiful.

Harpazo on January 22, 2010 at 7:11 PM

God people are such idiots. I love how the morons with their minds in the gutter, that have turned a mere joke into something cynical, say people are being oversensitive about Beck’s comments. Sort of like how you’re being oversensitive about Brown’s? Also, why isn’t anybody analyzing Beck’s leap to talk of a dead intern? Is Beck hiding some secret urge to kill women?

Narutoboy on January 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM

AnninCA on January 22, 2010 at 6:17 PM

A lot of women DON’T make sense. Watch Rosanne sometime.

Liam on January 22, 2010 at 7:14 PM

AnninCA on January 22, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Hell, you women can’t even understand each other, as so many women I know say. Where do you get off claiming ‘sexism’?

Liam on January 22, 2010 at 7:17 PM

AnninCA on January 22, 2010 at 6:31 PM

AnninCA on January 22, 2010 at 6:17 PM

I swear, Ann always get’s y’alls’ gander up!

I am a woman, and was not the least bit offended by Scott’s remarks. (I felt they were inartful at the time, and they made me a bit uncomfortable…my kneejerk was, “Oh, Lord, there’s going to be blowback here.”)
However, I took it in context: total euphoria on their part, and understandably so…Like I’ve nevah said something goofy when I was totally pumped??????
I also think Ann, dear, that the holier-than-thou comment about women never talking about men in a derisive way behind their backs???…??? Um, sorry I am totally guilty. But, perhaps you are a better person than I.

I have a hobby which involves jumping insane Labrador Retrievers off of docks into giant pools of water and competing for height, distance or speed achieved.
I recently wrote a satirical article which addressed why it was easier to get my dogs to do this than it would be to get hubby to perform the same trick if I threw a Bud Light and asked him to fetch it.
I laughed, Hubby laughed, everybody laughed. No harm, no foul. I am secure in my femininity, and the men in my life are secure in their masculinity (including two grown sons) we tease each other constantly, and in front of other people, too.
Regarding Beck though, as I give Brown a pass, I also give one to Beck.

Voidseeker on January 22, 2010 at 6:29 PM

said it very well, as did

Speedwagon82 on January 22, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Chewy the Lab on January 22, 2010 at 7:17 PM

A lot of women DON’T make sense. Watch Rosanne sometime.

Liam on January 22, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Annin majored in ‘Don’t Make Sense’.

BigWyo on January 22, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Annin majored in ‘Don’t Make Sense’.

BigWyo on January 22, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Shit. She wrote the textbook for a generation.

Liam on January 22, 2010 at 7:21 PM

I swear, Ann always get’s y’alls’ gander up!
Chewy the Lab on January 22, 2010 at 7:17 PM

‘Stupid And Let Me Show You Just How Much’ on a daily basis can do that to a person.

Dander…..

BigWyo on January 22, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Final thought on Beck-gate:

Everyone who’s saying asinine stuff like “I’ll never watch Beck again!!!1!” because he was raining on the Scott Brown parade is exceptionally foolish for the sole reason that Beck and his team are doing, bar none, the best investigative journalism into the Progressive movement and the ’60s radicals who are the power behind the Bam-Bam’s throne.

To willingly close your ears, out of bruised pride or the fact that Beck expressing a stupid opinion gives you the vapors, to the useful information that Beck presents daily on his radio and TV shows is the height of folly. And it only hurts our efforts to push back against the corrupt Obama/Progressive machine.

So suck it up, get over your outrage, ignore the odd mannerisms, and focus on the content — it’s really the only reason Beck’s been so successful lately.

Harpazo on January 22, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Lol, reminds me of Camille Paglia, who once said, “As a woman, I’m a mystery to myself”.

atheling on January 22, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Shit. She wrote the textbook for a generation.

Liam on January 22, 2010 at 7:21 PM

The title of which is- I may not know but I can make s#!T up.

thomasaur on January 22, 2010 at 7:24 PM

A defensive apology is no apology at all, Glenn.

The dead intern remark was over the line unless there is credible reason to believe Brown is a sleezy womanizer.

From posing semi-nude in ’82 to leacherous creep in ’10 is quite a leep.

I defend you all the time, Glenn, but not this time.

Disturb the Universe on January 22, 2010 at 7:24 PM

atheling on January 22, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Then they get cheesed when men ‘don’t understand’ them.

It’s a rigged game, the rules (subject to change without notice) set by…women!

Liam on January 22, 2010 at 7:25 PM

The title of which is- I may not know but I can make s#!T up.

thomasaur on January 22, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Subtitled “As I Need at the Moment”

Liam on January 22, 2010 at 7:26 PM

I will continue to watch Glenn and defend him when he is right.

But I am no one’s kool-aid drinker, and I will call them as I see them.

Disturb the Universe on January 22, 2010 at 7:26 PM

BigWyo on January 22, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Nope, sorry said Gander, meant Gander, as in a male goose who will get extremely pizzy if the brood is perceived as being threatened…but it’s my expression. I know “dander” is the traditional.;0)

Chewy the Lab on January 22, 2010 at 7:28 PM

For feck sake people, not even 10 years ago you’d be lucky if you could find someone in something that skimpy on basic cable.

RightWinged on January 22, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Two things. First maybe twenty or twenty five, not ten. Second, although I can’t speak for everyone, my problem with Mr. Beck had nothing to do with his displeasure with the remarks made by Sen. Brown about his daughters. The opinions on that are all over the map. I resent the remark about future dead interns in connection to a gentleman he knows nothing about. Terrible “joke”.

Cindy Munford on January 22, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Liam on January 22, 2010 at 7:02 PM

So right you are. If she were young, like in her 20s, I wouldn’t categorize her so much as a lib. Just YDFC.

I just thank God I never met her or married her.

TXUS on January 22, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Chewy the Lab on January 22, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Ok…But in my experience it’s the goose that has a cow if you threaten the goslings…the Gander is usually at the bar hittin’ on the chickens…

BigWyo on January 22, 2010 at 7:31 PM

News Flash: Hot girls these days(and unfortunately the not so hot) like to show off their bodies. It doesn’t matter if they are conservative or liberal or anarchists. The days of modesty are long long over.

Speedwagon82 on January 22, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Cindy Munford on January 22, 2010 at 7:30 PM

In the largest sense, hasn’t Beck gone Olbie in the end?

Liam on January 22, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Beck probably got some bad feed back and now he is trying to make up for it all. who cares?

Terrye on January 22, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Speedwagon82 on January 22, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Like 300lb women wearing Spandex?

Excuse me while I go yak for the memories you brought up of things I’ve seen…

Liam on January 22, 2010 at 7:33 PM

BigWyo on January 22, 2010 at 7:31 PM

The last three years we have had nesting geese on our ranch. When they go from one pond to another the gander takes up the rear and kicks up a fuss when anything threatens the goslings. When they are swimming he takes up the same position.

thomasaur on January 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Liam on January 22, 2010 at 7:32 PM

No I don’t think so. One stupid remark does not a career make or break. I don’t like how emotional he gets but other people do, it means passion to him and them, But my not liking it isn’t a deal breaker because it’s personal preference. Different strokes for different folks and so on and so on.

Cindy Munford on January 22, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Did you watch Beck’s show today, well if you did not find it..
found ht/the right scoop and watch it to know who the real enemy is.

Stalin and Mao used farms to starve and kill, What will Obama will use? health care or the lack of it.

tjexcite on January 22, 2010 at 7:42 PM

BigWyo on January 22, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Sir, I just am so very insulted! Did you just call your wife a water fowl????? Just kidding!

Chewy the Lab on January 22, 2010 at 7:43 PM

thomasaur on January 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Are these wild (Canadian..go Drywall!) geese or domesticated??

(Wow, we’ve gone to parental instincts of….birds….)

Either way, a 12 guage will take care of the whole lot…

Or a hefty stick.

BigWyo on January 22, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Chewy the Lab on January 22, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Wait…What!?!??

Jesus….doesn’t anyone have a sense of humor anymore???

Or know where the kitchen is…and when to stay there???

BigWyo on January 22, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Beck made a BIG F’in deal about his Friday Fox program. Was boring – boring – boring.

Wade on January 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Harpazo on January 22, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I thought his remarks were ill thought out, but forgot about them before his apology or whatever you call it.

I’m not a Beck groupie, but I watch him for his well researched and presented content. He’s the only one out there who religiously backs up assertions with proof.

You can always tell people who don’t watch Beck.
They call him either a liar or an idiot.

He’s neither.

donh525 on January 22, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Wade on January 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM

It was actually very interesting. He discussed every 20th century socialist dictator/murderer, including Hitler, and exposed the truth that so many liberals have tried so hard to hide about them.

Narutoboy on January 22, 2010 at 8:03 PM

BigWyo on January 22, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Canadian geese (wild) and we wait until fall to hunt them during migration. The goose crap on the trails has actually been good for the groundcover.

thomasaur on January 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I will continue to watch Glenn and defend him when he is right.

But I am no one’s kool-aid drinker, and I will call them as I see them.

Disturb the Universe on January 22, 2010 at 7:26 PM

You can always tell people who don’t watch Beck.
They call him either a liar or an idiot.

He’s neither.

donh525 on January 22, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Bingo.

Harpazo on January 22, 2010 at 8:11 PM

A defensive apology is no apology at all, Glenn.

Disturb the Universe on January 22, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Yes. A defensive, begrudging, insincere apology made only because a whoooole lot of people got mad is no apology at all. That’s the very definition of a politician’s non-apology apology — which is more than slightly ironic coming from Beck.

And if the dead-intern comment was his idea of humor, he should resist the urge. There’s already too much garbage on the airwaves masquerading as humor, art, or satire.

“Douche-beck”is my new name for him.

Splashman on January 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I was bewildered at Glenn’s reaction especially considering it went on and on and on. I had to hit mute for a while because he was being bizarre and ridiculous. I was in the mood for jubilation, not stupidity. Sorry. I like Glenn as much as everyone else, but he drove me nuts with all that. (I’m the mother of two daughters, FYI).

Further, don’t insult me Glenn by suggesting I was only mad because he was ragging on a republican.

Oink on January 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM

thomasaur on January 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Yum! I love a good roast goose. Unfortunately, the guys in my family only shoot skeet and golf, and those suckers are awefully tough!

Chewy the Lab on January 22, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Oink on January 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM

I forgot about that — that ticked me off as much as anything else. And notice that Beck complained that the reaction to his “joke” was evidence that Brown didn’t have a sense of humor. Blaming the victim, I think that’s called.

Comparing Brown’s “joke” on his daughters, and Beck’s “joke” on Brown, I’d say that Brown is the one with the good sense of humor, while Beck’s is warped beyond recognition.

Here’s a tip, Beck: If you have to explain that it’s a joke, most likely the problem is you.

Splashman on January 22, 2010 at 8:27 PM

He might owe his fans an apology for that, for a boring show, but not Brown. Since when was it a social offense to refuse to celebrate with other people?

Depends on what you imagine his daughters are available, for.

Chris_Balsz on January 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Eh..I like Beck. I like him alot actually..But I think he stumbled here.
Neither Brown NOR the voters are saying not to make a ‘joke’ about Brown. The problem is that it was such a…weird thing to glom onto so passionately. No one other than the lefty goons are going to glom onto this (joke about the daughters) because there really IS nothing to shoot at yet. Its…petty.

And the whole cosmo thing? To quote beck….”really?”
Comon. Beck should know as well as anyone that stupid things you do in your far past are exactly that. FAR in the PAST.

The only way that it becomes relevant is if someone that posed for a mag in the past does it again NOW.
OR for that matter, if someone who was a heavy drinker in the past….does it again, NOW.

Comon Glen..your smarter, better..and well….FUNNIER than that.

Handel on January 22, 2010 at 8:44 PM

You know..someone may have said this already…but its also WEIRD because, in one sentence Glen says he (Brown) and others that would criticism beck for his ‘joke’ should get a thicker hide, that it was JUST A JOKE.

But its HE that felt some sort of tweak at BROWNS joke.

Hmm..naw, there’s something just weird about it. Almost like he feels…i dunno, threatened maybe by Brown. In some way.
Dunno. But its weird and needless.
Stay focused Glen. Your too good to go nuts this fast.

Handel on January 22, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Glenn Beck is a total flake.

Conservatives who have hitched their wagon to this guy should begin preparing themselves for the day he does a 180 and embraces all of President Obama’s policies. Manic personalities like Beck tend to behave in bizarre and irrational ways that transcend politics.

Mike Honcho on January 22, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Healing.

Um, no, not really. Even though Beck thinks that the plebes overreacted to his, apparent, joking about Brown’s “Oh Dad!” moment on national TV, Beck’s “It was a joke!” was also on national TV via Fox, on top of his diatribe about it earlier on his radio show.

But what was truly over the top was not Glenn’s overly sensitive response to Brown’s joking about his daughters. Rather, it was that Glenn kept tossing snarky comments at Brown throughout his cable TV show the day following Scott Brown’s incredible victory, ending the show with “We’ll be watching you.”, as if Beck and his viewers were some supreme political court that had homed in on a relatively unknown upstart politician who needed an advance and totally unnecessary warning that the powers that be will be scrutinizing his every action and vote closely.

Had Beck merely come out and explained that as a father he was somewhat concerned about Brown’s own daughters being unnecessarily exposed to public scrutiny, possibly including the unpleasant stalker type, etc., and that all he’d, Beck, really intended to do was to give Brown a friendly head’s up…. then followed it with a brief backing off comment, if not a true apology, then I could have lived with that. But Beck has been seriously affected by both the power he yields via his radio and TV shows, and by the threats he and his family have received as a result of them as well.

And I think it all has messed with Glenn’s head in a most unpleasant way, and it is coming through in his mannerisms (notice how he taps the fingertips of both hands off each other a great deal now on his cable show) as well as in his unprepared comments. He needs to fall back and reassess things for a few days, and to try to do so dispassionately and objectively. I don’t think Glenn is capable of that, but we’ll see. He lost me early on, yet I do watch frequently due to the value of the information/facts his show provides that I couldn’t find otherwise in a timely fashion.

KendraWilder on January 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Glenn Darling – next time you have airtime to fill, just start singing until you can think of something worthwhile to say. As has been stated above – we really do have some seriously dangerous stuff to deal with, so let’s stay focused!

redwhiteblue on January 22, 2010 at 9:38 PM

One of my neighbors was stabbed to death by a man while jogging at mid-morning pushing her baby in stroller. The man who did it didn’t now her, and didn’t rape or rob her–he just killed her.

Why do MEN do what they do? I don’t want to hear this crap about why women do what do what they do until you can explain to me why this man did this.

juliesa on January 22, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Chris_Balsz on January 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM

There’s a difference between refusing to celebrate and dropping a turd in the punch bowl.

atheling on January 22, 2010 at 9:59 PM

juliesa on January 22, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I hate to break it to you but women murder too.

atheling on January 22, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Michelle Bachmann was on with him this morning and missed an opportunity to pin him to the wall on this. Beck cravenly made his “people need to have a sense of humor” schtick, and asked Bachmann what she thought. She should have said, “Glenn, YOU’RE the one without a sense of humor. It was a joke and you went ballistic. I’m with your critics on this.” But, no, she chimed in that “the public” needs to lighten up and recognize his humor. Meh. Disappointing. But that’s not what upset me. I woke up on Wednesday morning, as most conservatives did, on a real high, and here was Beck pissing in the punch bowl.

rivlax on January 22, 2010 at 10:04 PM

I swear, I didn’t see that other punch bowl reference until I had written the above comment.

rivlax on January 22, 2010 at 10:05 PM

This anti-Beck stuff is ridiculous. Lets give it a rest!
Look, its his opinion that Brown was being disrespectful wrt his comments about his daughter. That’s it!
Also, I think that he does not want Scott Brown to be an “anointed one” either, since we really don’t know this guy. And it looks like for good reason, as I have heard rumors that Mr. Brown is open to the idea of amnesty for illegal aliens and open to discussing a modified version of the healthcare plan! If these are true, Mr. Beck has pegged him correctly.
Lets not forget that it was Sen. McCain that got him to run for the seat in the first place!

JeffVader on January 22, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Just an FYI, none of you who are replying to me have even come close to actually replying to my argument.

IowaWoman on January 22, 2010 at 6:59 PM

As I said to someone else earlier, if you claim you can’t see the difference in a “bikini” and what Ayla was wearing, then you’re simply being dishonest.

Again, I don’t have an issue with what Brown said… Just the context and setting.

As for this story becoming about Beck, that’s what is what really annoys me. It’s not like Beck is calling for Brown’s head… he just stated what many of us think – the comments were odd. I slightly differ in that I don’t think they’re that odd in a different context. At any rate, I’m just annoyed more than anything about AllahPundit’s hatred for Beck that has him constantly attacking the man.

BTW, does anyone think that the tea party movement, etc. would have grown even close to as powerful as it has without Beck? I would argue that no republican would have stood a chance taking the “Kennedy Seat” without Beck’s influence on the culture. (Before morons claim that I’m trying to say he personally influenced the MA race, that’s not what I’m saying… I’m saying Beck is arguably the leader of the national movement that has lead to all of what we see happening, and without him and his soapbox, this movement would be nowhere.

And again, I have to note that despite being one of the most off-color comedy shows on TV, the Red Eye panel agreed with me.

RightWinged on January 22, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Anyone that saw that innocent banter between a dad and his kids as creepy, must have some seriously creepy thoughts living in their gray matter. Beck pushed this one way too far and made himself look like a complete jackass. A creepy one at that!

joedoe on January 22, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I like Beck. But he was off base on this. I just wish he would fess up. The whole “it was a joke” thing, well, I just don’t buy. If it was a joke, it was a bad one. People say embarrassing things, and I think (agreeing with Beck here) Scott Brown probably regrets saying what he said. But Beck called him out on it, and came across as mean-spirited at a time when most everyone else was willing to give a pass. It came across as almost Victorian. Bad move GB. But I’d be happy to give GB a pass if he would just give SB one.

noworldcitizen on January 23, 2010 at 12:43 AM

I am around Ayla’s age (2 yrs older) and though the joke was embarrassing, I thought it was terribly cute. It showed his ability to be himself, not a scripted robot like every other politician. One who polls everything and anything, from his walk to his hair. It was a real moment, it was adorable, and if my dad did that I would be embarrassed, red from blushing, probably laugh nervously but in the end, it would be a memory of our moment together. A funny family story.
It’s not even the least bit serious…why do people have to pick apart every single thing. I’m sorry but get over it, put your energy into more useful things. There’s so much suffering in our world better yet, our own country. There are so many other things to be annoyed with. Additionally, if I were Ayla, I would tell people to mind their own business (with all due respect). How can you take offense to something that is directed at his daughter and only his daughter? It’s not like it was a general statement about women. We seem to get offended at the slightest things.

Belondy on January 23, 2010 at 1:43 AM

atheling on January 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Source?

Ortzinator on January 23, 2010 at 2:28 AM

Beck is obviously living under some leftist’s threats-which is why he mentioned the FBI, so I cannot blame him for being paranoid. No one wants to exploit their own daughters, even in jest, when there are psycho’s out there who may become stalkers…which I think was Beck’s original point. And Scott Brown is open and genuine, and Brown wasn’t thinking of stalkers and leftist psychos when he was teasing his daughters-he was rightfully filled with joy.
Beck took it way, way to far and crossed the line, and it wasn’t only not funny, it way over the top, insulting and destructive.
I am sure now Beck realizes he should have had his conversation with the mike off, or in reality, not at all.

I think Mark Levin is right, there is a jealousy on Beck’s part here, because Brown is now the superstar who changed it all for us, and thank GOD that Brown IS divine intervention. Beck may have laid the ground work, but Scott Brown winning-I am still jumping up and down, which is what Beck should have been doing instead of putting both feet and both elbows in his mouth.

djn on January 23, 2010 at 6:56 AM

We know what men want. They are very easy to read.

So no, it’s not a mystery.

AnninCA on January 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM

No you don’t.

You know men like sex with hot women. Duh. That’s such a small part of life, and yet it’s all you know about. What does that say about you?

You really, deep down know almost nothing about men. (I’ve got a BS in psych, so I must be an expert, right?)

Squiggy on January 23, 2010 at 7:18 AM

Like Beck hasn’t said stuff like that about his wife in the past. It was a humorous moment at the end of the night after a long campaign. He sounded really proud of his family and their accomplishments.

Kissmygrits on January 23, 2010 at 8:57 AM

For the most part, Beck is OK. Remember that he is a frail and flawed human being like most of us and as liable to say/do stupid things as anybody. Most of us don’t do it in front of millions of viewers though…thank heavens. I value his service to humanity but don’t hang on every syllable like it’s the inspired word of God. He has carved out an anti-political-party niche and sometimes strains to fill it. He also is as likely as anyone to misinterpret the meaning of other’s words, and I agree with others in this thread that he could have paused and considered the context and motivations of the speaker before diving in.
Minor infraction. Five yard penalty.

SKYFOX on January 23, 2010 at 10:10 AM

For me it was almost like he was trying to make Scott Brown look like a pervert. Why would he use such a moment as proof that we need to “watch him” (ie Brown)? Hence the pervert undercurrent is his first response. He could have made the argument for watching Brown’s politics based on anything but that.

xax on January 23, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Mr. Bennet:

atheling on January 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM

thank you for the quote. I had a friend going nuts over the same thing Beck did.

tai-pan on January 23, 2010 at 11:19 AM

djn on January 23, 2010 at 6:56 AM

I’m getting tired of all the Levin projection here. Beck did not joke on Brown out of jealousy; if anyone is jealous its Levin.
He was joking, some jokes land flat, but he was still joking. Look at the video, he wasn’t being serious. The only thing he was serious about was we need to watch Brown…because he doesn’t trust anyone in Washington.

Conservative Voice on January 23, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Conservative Voice on January 23, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Forgot to add, he was also serious when he said it raised a red flag because it was something he wouldn’t do. Red Flags don’t mean get out the tar and feather. But because Beck is being honest about where he is coming from, because it hits their token R guy, they sharpen the claws…Get Him!

Conservative Voice on January 23, 2010 at 1:01 PM

You know, if people put half the effort of distrust they have on a TV/radio personality to the people in government, we wouldn’t need Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh…etc.

Conservative Voice on January 23, 2010 at 1:16 PM

atheling on January 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM

atheling, you are AWESOME! Thanks again for your comparison of Scott Brown and Jane Austen’s Mr. Bennett. Spot on and nicely done!

margategop517 on January 23, 2010 at 2:28 PM

The only jealous conservative radio personality is Mark Levin.

mobydutch on January 23, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I no longer listen to Levin, but from what I am hearing on this blog, he is still trashing Beck. I seriously think that Levin is more concerned about Beck’s popularity than Obama’s mess. Levin used to say Beck was copying him. I guess he is looking for new material. Levin must spend hours listening to Beck because he is ready to pounce at all times.

mobydutch on January 23, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Dead interns are not really funny Glenn.

You blew it, own it, apologize for it and move on.

AprilOrit on January 23, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Glenn quoting Lindsey Graham, “Let’s not take down our own…”

How does Reagan’s 13th Commandment come into play here?

AprilOrit on January 23, 2010 at 7:18 PM

I like Beck. . .Always have but this is the first
time I thought he was out of it. Glenn, please go back to
doing what you do best. Energize us, smash the commies,
stay on the bad guys a$$’s . Scott Brown deserves a
congrates from you . . .Not a smack in the face.

C’mon Glenn. Gezzz

Texyank on January 23, 2010 at 7:41 PM

The only jealous conservative radio personality is Mark Levin.

mobydutch on January 23, 2010 at 4:17 PM

You are leaving out the one that everyone leaves out…Michael Savage. He whines about the other radio hosts every single show.

daesleeper on January 24, 2010 at 1:36 AM

I found Scott Brown’s goofing on his daughters by announcing that they were available as charming and the symptom of a close knit family, of a man who deeply loves his daughters and who holds them dear to his heart.

I’ve seen and heard people goof on their sons and daughters like this since I was very young.

It is an innocent expression of love for their offspring. It is as if they are saying “Oh, I LOVE my kid so much!!!! They are wonderful!!!! Can you see how wonderful they are?”

It is an expression of “I want them to be soooooo very happy!”

There is no harm in it.

No, Scott Brown wasn’t pimping out his daughters. He was merely elated, and love them dearly, and expressed that in a humorous, affectionate manner.

William2006 on January 24, 2010 at 4:10 AM

It’s also an expression used by adult women to propose a casual sexual relationship to an adult man. “I’m available”. Hence the mockery by a lot of people who either have no daughters, or, intend to let their daughters pick their own husbands.

Chris_Balsz on January 24, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I have been a member of HA since the 2008 elections and my vote was for SarahCuda. I haven’t posted since BO got elected but I read your posts every day.

Today I felt I needed to express my thought regarding Levin/Beck comments.

I was/am a fan of Mark Levin but he started turning me off with the constant Beck bashing. He is a master nevertheless.

Glenn Beck is responsible for opening our eyes (on national TV) by exposing the “Acorn” tapes, the unvetted Czars such as Jones, the car dealership disclosures on the “Cash for Clunkers” websites…etc…etc and now his documentary “The Revolutionary Holocaust”. (Hearing the cuban mother & daughter comments hit me real hard because I speak spanish and it was difficult to listen to them speak with so much pain).

I love Glenn’s chalk boards, his magnets, his red phone, his pies, the barbie doll house and car, drinking wine with “Stretch” (Pelosi), his personal stack of books and all his provocative guests such as Horowitz, various authors and foreign commentators. He is a world of information.

I especially like his shows that started movements such as “The 912 project”, “As a Mom” & the “Black Conservatives” discussions.

Yes, he is “Passionate” and yes he goes bonkers once in a while but this is what keeps us glued to the TV because in the end, we learned something new about American history, our founders and all the underground “progressive” activity going on in the White House. The MAO X-Mas ornament is unforgivable.

Sean Hannity screamed to the top of his lungs in 2008 about BO’s radical pals starting with his interview with Reverend Wright. Glenn Beck is just continuing to unravel not only the past but the present dangers that threaten America today.

I was very happy when Scott Brown won and I was a bit surprised at his comments regarding his daughters (I’m a bit old fashioned I guess), but I justified it by thinking that he was so happy and just got caught up in the moment. I briefly thought that maybe he had received numerous emails curiously asking about his girls, so, he thought he’d just (literally) hit 2 birds with one stone. For me, the relationship he has with his family and their opinion of what he said is what truly matters and we should only be concerned with his representation in the Senate. That’s all.

Glenn, I am sure the reaction your wife had when she found out what you said, was enough for you to know that not everyone that loves you laughed at your comments, but we forgive you because everyone has a brain fart once in a while.

America needs you and I look forward to your “PLAN” for 2010.

(P.S.) When I previewed my post, I noticed there were no spaces in between my paragraphs. How do I do this??

Country First on January 25, 2010 at 6:38 AM