Video: Theissen rips Amanpour on false reporting

posted at 10:12 am on January 21, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

This is an amazing nine minutes of video, with most of the fireworks coming in the second half. Marc Thiessen rips Christiane Amanpour for falsely reporting that the CIA use of waterboarding was the same as the Khmer Rouge technique for submerging people in boxes of water — and when he does, her other guest, Phillipe Sands, accuses Thiessen of cowardice. Sands also engages in a bit of intellectual cowardice himself by saying “some” would accuse Thiessen of complicity in torture by writing about it, while hastening to assure everyone that Sands himself would never dream of such as suggestion. It’s a tour de force of stupid on the part of CNN, and Amanpour makes it worse when she continues to talk over Thiessen rather than let him make his point:

It calms down a little in the second half, but Thiessen takes control of the debate rather well. And the last question Thiessen gets to ask is simply a game-over moment. “Which of these attacks would you prefer we hadn’t stopped?” Sands says it’s a fallacy, but the fact remains that those interrogations stopped those attacks — and without them, we would have been blind to the plots.

Don’t miss the part where Amanpour wonders why we don’t just arrest terrorists and stick them in prison “until the end of the war,” either. The Bush administration did do that — in Guantanamo Bay. Obama wants to let most of them go, and Amanpour has certainly been one of the cheerleaders of that effort, too.

As for the Geneva Convention, Marc has it exactly correct, but the effort by Amanpour and the most of the media in desperately demanding that the US apply those standards to terrorists and unlawful combatants has made it much more likely that we’ll simply kill terrorists rather than capture them and get that kind of critical information. That may feel more satisfying, but it leaves us unable to connect the dots.

Be sure to read Marc’s book, Courting Disaster: How the CIA Kept America Safe and How Barack Obama Is Inviting the Next Attack. RedState and Human Events has more.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Video: Theissen rips Amanpour on false reporting

More like:

Amanpour tears Theissen a new one!

Norman Blizter on January 21, 2010 at 11:07 AM

LOL!

bridgetown on January 21, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Um I don’t know how to break this news to you, but, to this administration……YOU ARE THE ENEMY!

IlikedAUH2O on January 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM

OT but related to CNN, I saw this comment on another forum

At about that time, Wolf Blitzer announced that Coakley was behind by about 100,000 votes and, if Boston hadn’t fully been counted yet, there still may be a chance for her to pull it out. [Note that this was about 30 minutes AFTER she had already conceded.]

Del Dolemonte on January 21, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Amanpour tears Theissen a new one!

Norman Blizter on January 21, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Great example of the delusional world that Useful Idiots like Blitzer are forced to live in after succumbing to years and years of lies rammed down their throats by their puppet masters.

ronnyraygun on January 21, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Amanpour makes it worse when she

[fill in the blank]

Branch Rickey on January 21, 2010 at 1:03 PM

If he doesn’t believe that waterboarding is torture, why doesn’t he submit himself to that technique? My God, that is the stupidest question I’ve ever heard. I don’t believe that being imprisoned or publicly held up to ridicule in a reality show is torture, but it doesn’t mean that I’d subject myself to either.

morganfrost on January 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM

My exact thought.

29Victor on January 21, 2010 at 1:09 PM

So 5 seconds of water on someone’s head is EXACTLY the same as being handcuffed in a box of water? What an idiot this woman is! That’s like saying burning someone with a match is no different than pouring gasoline on them and lighting them afire. Again, this woman is a complete IDIOT!

ihasurnominashun on January 21, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Ammanpour: The facts don’t matter, it is only how I feel about my view of the facts that matter.

Gheesh, this woman finally gets called on the carpet and she is totally defensive and then tries to cut off debate. So much for her belief in free speech. And then as the Jew hater she is, she tries to convict Israelis of her crimes.

She is disgusting

georgealbert on January 21, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM

IlikedAUH2O on January 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Exactly…..
…..thing is in this administration,the terrorist will get much better treatment and higher level legal representation than the vast majority of us can afford.

….smart power!!!!

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 1:27 PM

She didn’t look happy. I watched this at Michelle Malkin’s other site.

But then again, why would she. She got PWNED!

madmonkphotog on January 21, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Perfect representation of the flacid thinking of this administration. Absolutely the worst people in the world to entrust your country’s safety. Excellent job sticking it to the talking head

R Square on January 21, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I really don´t like to say it, but Amanpour is as dumb as a post.

el gordo on January 21, 2010 at 2:22 PM

apparently “obfuscating” and “splitting hairs” can also mean “confusing things with facts”

TTheoLogan on January 21, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Idiotic. So the “new” definition of torture doesn’t require any pain?

Gee, I feel discomfort during a trial so maybe I can just get it banned as “torture”. Handcuffs are probably not too comfortable either. Ban those too?

For the record: If I commit terrorist acts against a foreign country in collusion with others, I AGREE TO BE WATERBOARDED.

Note that I refuse to be waterboarded until I commit those acts, which DOESN’T MAKE ME A HYPOCRITE. Except maybe to a 5 year old.

DavidM on January 21, 2010 at 2:38 PM

What a revolting woman. I hadn’t seen her in years, and it’ll be at least that long before I subject myself to that again. Talk about torture.

Scott P on January 21, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Her face and lips are so injected with fillers I hardly recognized her.

You just know when she and Rubin fight the accent flies out the window….

When can we start kicking these people off the air and out of our country.

They have committed treason straight up.

nondhimmie on January 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM

I really don´t like to say it, but Amanpour is as dumb as a post CNN’s Chief International Correspondent.

el gordo on January 21, 2010 at 2:22 PM

FIFY. Of course, you’re right too.

Del Dolemonte on January 21, 2010 at 3:42 PM

morganfrost on January 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM

My exact thought.

29Victor on January 21, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Thousands of SEALs and other SF operators have submitted to it. Were they tortured?

Tim Burton on January 21, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Wow! That was Classic “How dare you talk to me like that, I work for CNN” arrogance. Sill tied for last place with MSDNC for most irrelevant News Organization.

ronnyraygun on January 21, 2010 at 4:43 PM

She’s .5 Brit, .5 Iranian, and all see you next Tuesday.

McBride on January 21, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Thiessen, speaking truth to morons…

Zorro on January 21, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Thiessen, speaking truth to morons…

Zorro on January 21, 2010 at 6:44 PM

…or possibly Arguing With Idiots

landlines on January 22, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Methinks that Phillipe Sands squats to pee.

UndertheBridge on January 22, 2010 at 4:26 AM

Amanpour is one of the enemy.

TrickyDick on January 22, 2010 at 8:25 AM