Ron Paul: The CIA conducted a coup in the US

posted at 1:25 pm on January 21, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

I remember well during 2007 getting tons of pushback every time I would criticize Ron Paul for his loopy statements on foreign policy or his years of playing footsie with white supremacists while marketing his newsletter. Paul makes good sense often on economics and the intrusiveness of government, but he’s essentially a conspiracy theorist whose presence in Congress is much more problematic than beneficial for conservatives and the GOP, with whom he’s nominally associated. Basically, if you think of Paul as our Dennis Kucinich, then it makes it much easier to understand the following hysterical rant captured at a January 15th appearance in Atlanta at the Campaign for Liberty conference and posted at Weasel Zippers, who provides the transcript:

There’s been a coup, have you heard? It’s the CIA coup. The CIA runs everything, they run the military. They’re the ones who are over there lobbing missiles and bombs on countries. … And of course the CIA is every bit as secretive as the Federal Reserve. … And yet think of the harm they have done since they were established after World War II. They are a government unto themselves. They’re in businesses, in drug businesses, they take out dictators … We need to take out the CIA.

“Take out”? Isn’t Paul a member of Congress? Has he introduced any legislation to stop CIA funding, or demanded any hearings? After all, those are actions that Congress can take short of annihilation. I think the military would laugh at the notion that they take orders from the CIA. They take orders from the President and are accountable to Congress. We know this, because we’re rational adults and not conspiracy theorists.

The only coup that has been conducted is the one that took out Paul’s sense of rationality and judgment years ago. Maybe a primary challenge would be a good idea in Paul’s district.

Update: Good news — there already is a primary challenge in Paul’s district, by Tim Graney:

We need expanded nuclear energy use, additional drilling and continued research into non-petroleum based transportation fuels. We need to reduce the burden of regulation and over-taxation on businesses in the U.S. so we can compete with other nations in this global economy and keep more jobs here in America. American values are something special, but over the years as we continue to tolerate more and different value systems, we almost have become intolerant of where we came from. Toleration is a two-way street and it is time for assimilation to be traveling back on the other side of that road. Assimilation does not mean losing our diverse cultural identities, but it does mean immigrants should absorb some of the very values and traditions that attract immigrants from around the world to the American dream.

There are other major issues that need to be addressed, most notably health care and education.  We did not end up with excess government overnight, it has taken decades to get where we are and it will take years to unwind the amount of government in our lives.  By working together on the issues that are important to all Americans, we can begin this process of restoring the Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness our Founding Fathers envisioned for all of us.

Sounds like Ron Paul without the crazy.  I’m going to have to get Graney on my show — very, very soon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Coup coup.

*snort*

Ed shoots, and scores.

MadisonConservative on January 21, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Put the crazy aunt back in the attic.

Cicero43 on January 21, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Seond look at Ron Paul

Vashta.Nerada on January 21, 2010 at 1:28 PM

I mean, sometimes I wonder how anybody still listens to him. Seems way off in wacko land a lot of the time. Sheesh.

search4truth on January 21, 2010 at 1:28 PM

MadisonConservative on January 21, 2010 at 1:27 PM

totally agree :-)

cmsinaz on January 21, 2010 at 1:28 PM

…kee choup

SnowSun on January 21, 2010 at 1:28 PM

I want to like this guy because of his economic policy, but he just refuses to cooperate.

DFCtomm on January 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Coup Kook.

rockbend on January 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Sigh…

I agree with Ron Paul on so may issues, but I guess I have to face the fact that Crazy Uncle is exactly that…

Theworldisnotenough on January 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Maybe a primary challenge would be a good idea in Paul’s district.

yes, please!!!

cmsinaz on January 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM

if you think of Paul as our Dennis Kucinich

I think we should arrange for a debate between Paul and Kucinich – on Mars, where they belong.

peski on January 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Many of us near his district thought he would be gone after the last election, but he won fairly handily. Apparently the Paulyps in Brazoria and surounding counties don\’t have any problems with his statements…

golfer1 on January 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM

What a nut

Del Dolemonte on January 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM

The Fed is lucky to have Ron Paul as an enemy. He makes any critic of Fed policy and practice look like a loon.

Bill C on January 21, 2010 at 1:31 PM

but, but butbutubut…..

I thought he was the Only True Patriot that could save America?

Might be time to take that campaign sign I found stuck in front of my shop on Caucus Day out for a little target practice….

JamesLee on January 21, 2010 at 1:32 PM

deep end.

james23 on January 21, 2010 at 1:32 PM

This guy is a flaming idiot. Insane. His supporters are even worse.

Go away.

antisocial on January 21, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Nobody from the Ron Paul camp cares to comment?

unclesmrgol on January 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM

LOL…best tagline yet, Ed!

Catherine Wilkinson on January 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM

peski on January 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM

The sudden vacuum created by the lack of intellect in the same room would create a black hole and destroy the universe at the speed of light.

rollthedice on January 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Father Coughlin with some financial knowledge.

kingsjester on January 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Check this out: The Saul Alinksy of the GOP, Ron Paul and Earmark Spending

they only use thug tactics against GOP opponents though of course.

jp on January 21, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I’m a pretty open-minded guy, but any positive thoughts I had about Ron Paul just went flying out the window. He’s freakin crazy.

GoldenEagle4444 on January 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM

peski on January 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Alex Jones moderating.

MadisonConservative on January 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM

What is it with these doctors in politics? We have Dr. Ron Paul and they have Dr. Howard Dean. Talk about a need for health care reform, these 2 are walking, talking proof. Get them the he!! out of there.

Mirimichi on January 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

peski on January 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM

CIA wouldn’t allow it. That’s where their headquarters . . .
gunshot

rbj on January 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

OMG! I have big problems with the Federal Reserve, so I want to like Ron Paul, but he makes it so hard. His foreign policy notions would get us killed. And this…this is total nitwittery.

flyfisher on January 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I, um, am embarrassed to admit I voted for the man. My daughter was disappointed that she turned 18 too late to vote in the 2008 Republican primary. Since my candidate had already dropped out of the race, I told her I’d cast my vote for whom she wanted. When she told me, I had to bite my lip to keep from saying, “You’re kidding, right?”
I love my kid and I’m happy to say she’s grown out of being a Ronulan.

TwilightAuthor on January 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Hey, there are a lot of crazy conspiracy theorists in America. Don’t they deserve representation in Congress? After all, we have communists, La Raza separatists, abortion fanatics, and other weirdos there.

rockmom on January 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

CIA? More like See, I Crazy.

LibTired on January 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Oh YES, Madison. I think I would actually PAY to see that!

JamesLee on January 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Well, technically, isn’t the CIA directing some of the armed UAV’s to take out terrorists???

That’s about as far as I’d go defending him. Yes, the CIA has done most of things he’s talking about in the past. Not so sure that is relevant to today’s problems.

Keith_Indy on January 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Damn! I sleep late one morning, and look what I miss!

MassVictim on January 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

DFCtomm on January 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Yup. I do like him because of his economic policy, but he is just such a raving lunatic on just about everything else that it makes it impossible to support him.

STFU Ron.

russcote on January 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I fondly remember the fantasy during the 2008 presidential race of a Paul/Kucinich ticket. Maybe someone funnier than me can think up the right name for their party.

thuja on January 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

That moo watched JFK,and listened to Alex Jones waaaaaaaaay too many times.I never understood how anybody could take him seriously.

Southernblogger on January 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Jackie Mason

daesleeper on January 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Maybe a primary challenge would be a good idea in Paul’s district.

ED: TIM GRANEY PLUG HIM!!!!!

He’s a Reagan Conservative Tea Party activist!

as important as taking out the Dems is this enemy Within

jp on January 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Will Sarah campaign with him?

txag92 on January 21, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Has Mr. Paul been tested by a neurologist lately?

capejasmine on January 21, 2010 at 1:38 PM

STFU Ron.

russcote on January 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

His views on the Fed cross the line.

he’s willing to be pragmatic with the far-left on ObamaCare if they will work with him to Dismantle the Military also.

FAIL

jp on January 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

peski on January 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM

What have you got against Mars?

chemman on January 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Seond look at Ron Paul

Vashta.Nerada on January 21, 2010 at 1:28 PM

I just did…and he is still nuts.
It just shows how really stupid you can be, and still be a Senator or congressman.
Intellect, obviously, has nothing to do with it…

right2bright on January 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Will Sarah campaign with him?

txag92 on January 21, 2010 at 1:38 PM

She needs to campaign with Tim Graney and take him down

jp on January 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Leon Panetta is in charge?

mchristian on January 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Paul/Coupcinich 2012!

This time, why not vote goofy?

rihar on January 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM

The truth is out there.

(It’s just not returning Paul’s calls)

reaganaut on January 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Paul/LaRouche 2012!

/sarc

swash_plate on January 21, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Oh boy, here come the PaulBots and another headline over at LGF by Chuckles calling Ed crazy for posting this.

Knucklehead on January 21, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Ground Control to Major Nut……Ground Control to Major Nut……

Patrick S on January 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Maybe a primary challenge would be a good idea in Paul’s district.

ED: TIM GRANEY PLUG HIM!!!!!

He’s a Reagan Conservative Tea Party activist!

as important as taking out the Dems is this enemy Within

+100

BobOfTexas on January 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM

His views on the Fed cross the line.

FAIL

jp on January 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I don’t know about that. I agree with the Austrians who argue that the Fed is the most culpable party with respect to both the Great Depression and the shit in which we find ourselves today. I’m not ashamed of being a laissez-faire capitalist.

But on national defense and foreign policy issues, (with the sole exception that I agree with him that we have too many foreign entanglements insofar as we financially aid the world without any discernible coherent strategy) he’s a complete loon who would get us all killed.

russcote on January 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM

rollthedice on January 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM

That’s great…but you do realize, with a black hole the speed of light is reduced to zero…which would allow them to re-enter the universe they both escaped from…

right2bright on January 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I WISH our CIA was competent enough to stage a coup.

boko fittleworth on January 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I like the language he uses. Take out. It sounds like he wants to set up a murder for hire with the Mob. Comedic relief, sort of.

Cindy Munford on January 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM

DONATE TO TIM GRANEY!!!!!

jp on January 21, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Next week: Paul talks at length about the ace of spades.

Sharke on January 21, 2010 at 1:44 PM

He is the egg man…he is the walrus…

Coup coup ka-joo

JetBoy on January 21, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Overheard Ron Paul saying to Brown: “Hab SoSlI’ Quch!”

right2bright on January 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Sadly, I live near his district. Luckly, I’m in Rep. Pete Olson’s district (R-22).

Paulnuts weird me out.

madmonkphotog on January 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Ron Paul is a fn kook that is right about a bunch of stuff and he is a guy with a first name for his last name.

And that’s all I got to say about that.

But we all know it’s the Juice that control the CIA.

TheSitRep on January 21, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Doctor – medicate yourself – quickly.

jake-the-goose on January 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Yeah, you are right. We need to get rid of guys like Ron Paul and his son. We don’t want no stinking fiscal conservatives in ‘our’ conservative movement.

Ron Paul has as big and loyal of a following than Palin. Irrelevant people who post here would be lucky to see his success and try to figure out what he’s doing right. He had NO support and still got more votes than RUDY (front runner) in the primaries.

The only reason we are in Afghanistan and Pakistan now is the CIA. We would have conducted the war through Pakistan with India as an ally if we didn’t have some sort of ‘important’ covert operation in the region that we didn’t want to destroy.

We have nothing to gain by wasting time and money in Af/Pak. We will be there until the CIA says we should not be there.

This site hates Ron Paul. Anyone who spits as much vitriol toward one congressman who has championed conservative values for his entire (post medical) career shouldn’t consider themselves conservative.

No, Ed, you are not conservative. Nor is (gay marriage) Allah Pundit.

Why not applaud someone who has actually been in the ring fighting for YOUR rights instead of figuring out how to put up a RINO in their place. If everyone in DC were like Ron Paul, we wouldn’t be voting to raise the debt ceiling another 2 T dollars.

I doubt this comment will stay in. I boycotted because of the heavy handed censorship on this site. But saying that Ron Paul is a ‘bad’ representative because he thinks the CIA has a hand in wasteful spending and conflicts around the world is why this site isn’t as important as it would like to think it is.

ThackerAgency on January 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

russcote on January 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM

first of all, Paul’s Austrian views aren’t in line with all Austrians. He is a Rothbardian, not a Hayek or even Von Mises who disagreed with Rothbard on mnay things.

As for the Fed, first of all if you “Abolish the Fed” as he would like, all it does is place full Monetary making powers into the hands of Congress and Political Campaigns. Its bad enough what they did with Fannie/Freddie and the CRA. Imagine Pelosi/Frank and company with those powers.

As a Conservative, I see a need for a Central Bank in the world we live, in part because of what I write above, however I do not think the Fed should have a mandate to reduce Employment and baffled by some policy decisions. Though I still think Inflation would be far worse if COngress took over.

His views on the Gold Standard go against everything learned about Gold and Milton Friedman taught on also. I trust Friedman much more than Paul, the ultimate anti-govt. wingnut.

jp on January 21, 2010 at 1:48 PM

The CIA works under almost complete secrecy and actively manhandles foreign, sovereign, countries.
It sounds about right that you guys call him a loon. After all, I imagine there is almost 100% support of both wars here.

antoniojvr on January 21, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Nervous Laughter folks…When you wake up with all of your rights gone and under complete control it will be a bit late. You will say WTF? If you actually do some reasearch on the CIA you will come away with a new viewpoint I assure you. Learn a bit of real history for yourself and you will never be the same or just go on living in the Matrix. I sometimes wish I was still in the Matrix as ignorance was closer to bliss

Reality Checker on January 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM

antoniojvr on January 21, 2010 at 1:48 PM

You forgot the “Gentlemen don’t read other gentlemen’s mail.” meme.

unclesmrgol on January 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Oh for the love of God shut the f#ck up,put on your “code pink” outfit and hit the road you pathetic mental midget!!!!

When is his district going to get their collective heads out of their a$$es and vote this Cynthia Mckinney wanna be out of office?????

…..what a complete moron.

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM

he is no Fiscal Con and is the Saul Alinsky of the GOP. One of the biggest R Porkers last year.

btw, the claim he has as many supporters as Palin is extremely laughable.

jp on January 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM

antoniojvr on January 21, 2010 at 1:48 PM

It’s one war. And I support it.

LibTired on January 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

ThackerAgency on January 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

You’re a Paul-bot?

That explains quite a lot…

JetBoy on January 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

This reminds me of a Bill Hicks joke about JFK assassination conspiracy theory.

“You DO know that there were anti-Castro pigeons seen drinking in bars the night before the Kennedy assassination, don’t you?

They were overheard saying ‘Coup! Coup!’

Hey, don’t you people groan, that’s the best g0dd*mn pun you’ll ever hear!”

teke184 on January 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

jp on January 21, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Spot on!

madmonkphotog on January 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

What’s he trying to do, start a rEVOLution or something?

/rimshot

cs89 on January 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Reality Checker on January 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM

You sure you still aren’t in the Matrix?

unclesmrgol on January 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

It’s 18 years late for this loon to be kicked out of office, but better late than never.

I personally find it amusing that when Paul first ran all those years ago, he was a big proponent of… term limits. Past time to make him keep that promise – after 20+ years it would be the only one kept.

Rebar on January 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

the crazies have arrived.

jp on January 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

He’ll fit in with the John Birch Society..

the_nile on January 21, 2010 at 1:51 PM

ThackerAgency on January 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I would have expected you to cut Sarah a bit more slack than that. After all, she’s ex-Catholic.

unclesmrgol on January 21, 2010 at 1:51 PM

He needs to expose the International Jewish bankers!

/s

mankai on January 21, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Reality Checker on January 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM

What color is the dot on your mailbox?

JetBoy on January 21, 2010 at 1:51 PM

the crazies have arrived.

jp on January 21, 2010 at 1:50 PM

A money bomb went off underneath them somewhere.

unclesmrgol on January 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM

ThackerAgency on January 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Heavy handed censorship? Are you kidding me? Care to show some examples?

This isn’t LGF in case you hadn’t noticed. Boycott away.

Knucklehead on January 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Will his district vote for someone normal? I don’t know, but what I’ve seen in Galveston has a lot of Hillaryite yuppies and the sort of people who insist on riding out a Cat-3 hurricane in their trailer.
I love Galveston and hope that there are lots of normal voters who want the chance to send a great guy to Washington, but I fear Ron Paul is the type of Republican who could win for his area.

TwilightAuthor on January 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM

ThackerAgency on January 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Are we reading the same site?

cs89 on January 21, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Sounds like he had a lot of support of his views from the audience. Admittedly a really close friend of mine agrees with most of Ron’s views. I don’t get it.

watson007 on January 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Donate to TIM GRANEY for CONGRESS

Chris Peden ran against paul in 2006 with <100k and still got 30% of the vote. How easy would it be with funding to get that other 21% needed to take the clown down.

jp on January 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM

About as sane a statement as that uttered by Mehmet Ali Hagca a couple of days ago, upon his release after 29 in prison for the attempted assassination of Pope John Paul II:

In the name of God Almighty, I proclaim the end of the world in this century. All the world will be destroyed, every human being will die. I am not God, I am not son of God, I am Christ eternal.

A hearty rriiiiiiigghttt in both cases.

Track-A-'Crat on January 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM

He’ll fit in with the John Birch Society..

the_nile on January 21, 2010 at 1:51 PM

he speeks at their conventions, and they at his.

WFB and company were so wise to blackball Rothbard and the Birchers out of the Conservative movement. Now its our turn.

jp on January 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

ThackerAgency on January 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Ron paul has good ideas on economy. The rest is pure delusion.

the_nile on January 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

rockmom on January 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I got a liberal over at a site that says Coakley defeated Brown—diebold conspiracy. But she’s also been a lifetime 9/11 truther to boot. It must be tough for some people to go through their misrable lives living in an alternate world.

Rovin on January 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Actually, Paul isn’t too far off. The media pulled off a coup in Nov 2008. That is the truth of the matter.

neurosculptor on January 21, 2010 at 1:56 PM

ThackerAgency on January 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

The guy is certifiably paranoid! And it sounds like you are flirting with the same issue.

Ron Paul is a kook and his supporters border on deranged.

Nineball on January 21, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Check out Tim Graney’s Facebook page:

jp on January 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM

neurosculptor on January 21, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Beware the Government-Media complex.

daesleeper on January 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM

jp on January 21, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I can accept that, insofar as you distinguish the Austrian schools. However, Mises and Hayek, from what I’ve read, did not and would not support a central bank either.

And why would monetary policy fall to Congress? The point of abolishing the Fed, the way I understand it, is to return the process of interest rate setting to the private sector, where it belongs. I agree, I don’t want Congress anywhere near monetary policy.

I just don’t get why so many people are afraid of capitalism in its rawest form. I have no reason whatsoever to believe that it couldn’t and wouldn’t work today like it did in the past.

I have nothing but respect for the Chicago school also, except I still agree with the Hayek/Mises camp that says the monetarists still misdiagnose the Great Depression and our problems today. Free money is the problem. From free money comes misallocation. From misallocation comes bubbles and from bubbles comes busts.

That’s the Austrian business cycle as I get it and at the bottom of it all is always stupid Fed policy.

Good points jp. Thanks.

russcote on January 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I doubt this comment will stay in.

ThackerAgency on January 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Oh, yeahhhh…..because who’d want to hear from the little coup-coups, too? BTW I’m right behind you!

I boycotted because of the heavy handed censorship on this site.

ThackerAgency on January 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Yeah, like the “heavy-handed censorship” that didn’t allow Loony Ron’s word to be posted here, or that got rid of your comment, right, coup-coup? Next time, make your boycott a permanent one, ‘kay, Champ?

dmh0667 on January 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Spook Coup.

cntrlfrk on January 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Bildebergers

SouthernGent on January 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I think Ron Paul is really the Bunny in the jobs thread from this morning…

SHARPTOOTH on January 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM