Politico: Democrats’ ObamaCare talks collapsing?

posted at 9:21 pm on January 21, 2010 by Allahpundit

I know, I know — “but what about what Paul Ryan said?” I don’t know whose information is most current right now. All I can do is show you what I’m seeing.

Believe it or not, this rather significant tidbit is buried about halfway down in Politico’s story:

Part of the negotiations center on whether Reid can provide an ironclad guarantee that the Senate will not leave the House in the lurch, aides said. If the House agrees to pass the Senate bill with a companion measure — or a “cleanup” bill — to make fixes, they want to know that the Senate will indeed pass it, too.

There was some talk among Senate leadership on Thursday of putting together a letter signed by 51 Democratic senators pledging to pass a cleanup bill if the House would pass the Senate bill. But that effort fizzled when support for it didn’t materialize, insiders said.

“The Senate moderates’ viewpoint is, ‘We passed our bill. We’re not going to spend three weeks on some other bill,’” said a Democratic lobbyist who represents clients pushing for reform.

“There’s a real possibility it doesn’t get through,” said another Democratic lobbyist.

TPM’s hearing something similar about Senate Dems having “moved on to other, newer priorities,” with even Durbin sounding noncommittal about whether the House should press ahead. The million-dollar question: If they’ve got 51 true-blue Dems (or 50, with Biden as the tiebreaker) willing to go to the mat for the dream of Ted Kennedy’s life or whatever, why can’t the lucky 51 simply pledge themselves to reconciliation now? Are they … short of 51?

A Senate staffer told TPM yesterday that the feeling among the Democratic caucus at Brown’s victory was actually relief that in Brown’s victory they finally had an excuse to step back from the ledge. I figured at the time that it was garbage aimed at stirring up nutroots readers to inundate congressional Dems with “pass this or else” threats, but after Politico’s story, now I’m thinking maybe it’s true. Maybe Senate Dems are already in the lifeboats and waving bye-bye to Pelosi and Obama on the deck of the Titanic. Exit question: How to square this with Ryan’s account? Did Reid wrangle 51 votes sometime during the interim?

Update: Unity.

“There’s a lot of anger at the Senate,” said Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., a liberal who wants to push ahead with healthcare reform, but loathes some of the Senate bill’s provisions, especially a tax on expensive health benefits packages. “They’ve wasted six months and done nothing, and they subject themselves to undemocratic rules that frustrate the will of the majority of the American people and of them. And we can do all kinds of things but in the end, it doesn’t matter what we do if they don’t go along with it. We pass a lot of good things, and it goes over there to die.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

by the way, the “war” on wall street Obama and the left have started is a colossal misjudgment. They have really convinced themselves that its purely grassroots anger and not a Conservative ascendancy they face. They really are in their own bubble and the lasting impact will be to turn the Financial Houses into mortal enemies.
P.S. They are going to destroy New York City with their anti-bank tactics.

rob verdi on January 21, 2010 at 10:01 PM

New York state will be hit hard also through lost tax revenues.

ICBM on January 21, 2010 at 10:21 PM

This is the time the narcisstic liar becomes dangerous!

His personality disorder demands that he lash out when injured. He cannot show hurt or humility!
He will lash out to hurt those he percieves caused the harm.
I hope the CIA has the profile and the answer!

This man is dangerous and should have never gotten anywhere near this much power.
He may try to destroy our whole econmy in retaliation for being denied the spoils he thinks he deserves!
Ironically his policies would do so anyway!

dhunter on January 21, 2010 at 10:21 PM

House vs. Senate: Back in the 1980s, a senator who had previously served in the House, said this:

“The House is a legislative assembly line and the Senate is designed to bring a more analytical view to the process. Using the automobile as an analogy, you could say the House is the gas pedal and the Senate the brake.”

It was Tom Daschle. Of course, a more apt analogy in the context of ObamaCare would be that the House is a kid running with scissors, while the Senate is a kid sitting in the corner and pulling off his scabs. A more analytical view indeed.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on January 21, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Reid doesn’t have 51 anymore. Or even close, I’ll wager. The ship is going down and I think they’re in the lifeboats paddling like mad.

dogsoldier on January 21, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Rational Thought on January 21, 2010 at 9:29 PM &
TN Mom on January 21, 2010 at 9:58 PM

I’ve also been wondering what in the world will Obama say in his State of the Union next week.

INC on January 21, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Denial(the weeks leading up to Tuesday.)
Anger (Tuesday night and Wednesday.)
Bargaining (Present moment until ?).
Depression (Please let it be long and miserable).
Acceptance (Wednesday, November 3).

Bruno Strozek on January 21, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Never spent any time at Democratic Underground, have you
Bruno? They have all of those emotions, plus a few more every single day. They still deny Bush was elected, that fire can melt steel, and contrails arent chemtrails. They are angry 24/7, they live in the constant state of mouth frothing. It’s like a big insane asylum that got WiFi. (However, dont wait for them to accept a damn thing. It will never happen).

di butler on January 21, 2010 at 10:30 PM

P.S. They are going to destroy New York City with their anti-bank tactics.

rob verdi on January 21, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Yes and how ironic that they destroy their own backyards first and worse!

Just like their African American 90% supporters who when, in the past felt wronged, burned their own houses and neighborhoods down!

America had to see who the socialists are who were hiding behind the lies and now that they have the American people will not soon forgive or forget!

Perhaps the Dems could salvage some of their miserable hides with introspection and acquiesence to middle class American desires, but Obama and the leftists cannot that abide.
They want all out full blown Socialism if not Fascism and destruction of the middle class to make us all poor and beholden.
They want us to be slaves on the Dem plantation and have Damn near spent us there.

The Repubs need to fight the 1.9 trillion dollar debt limit increase! They need to shut down DC to make the point it is too much we cannot afford the Democrats folly!

dhunter on January 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM

He still is yet to go after Big Oil

I wonder if he’d dare. Think what that would do to Wall Street, the price of gas,employment, the portfolios of all of the pols in both wings et al. If any industry is too risky to go after it’s that one. Look what his proposals for the banks are doing right now. Actually, I agree with some of the restrictions he’d put on banks… but the financial markets don’t like it and O cannot afford to cause even a semi-melt down in this climate.

jeanie on January 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM

If they decide to approach this from the GOP plan, they can get progress made on some important issues for people.

The GOP may not benefit as much politically from that capitulation, but people would.

I agree with Laura Ingraham, however.

That’s not looking like the approach.

AnninCA on January 21, 2010 at 10:34 PM

jeanie on January 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Yeah he will go after anyone making a profit. Trust me if gas goes up this summer he will go after Big Oil.

Dire Straits on January 21, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Good Post! I only disagree with one part.. He still is yet to go after Big Oil. It is coming. Plus look for Wal-Mart to some how get drawn into the Obie bashing also.

Dire Straits on January 21, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I disagree to an extent, he has had his effect on oil. I just escaped round two of so called streamlining and job elimination. His policies have certainly kept the economy stagnant and if things do not turn around quickly US Refiners will not exactly be hanging around for him to go after except to be rescued and owned by Gov`t. Now, I know we are not the major oil companies but he has done damage indirectly already. Just this week Chevron and Conoco have also announced layoffs in the downstream businesses and they are Big Oil. He certainly had us targeted in the Cap and Trade bill as well. In my opinion it was meant to bankrupt the US Refiners within a few years. Extra costs we estimated for our company alone were 7 Billion and not all of that was going to be able to be passed back to the consumer. So, I hope you are wrong and that we don`t face a full brunt attack.

bluemarlin on January 21, 2010 at 10:37 PM

I think they will try to pass something, just so 0bama has something to chortle about in his SOTU speech next week.

Mirimichi on January 21, 2010 at 10:37 PM

INC on January 21, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Over\Under
Let me be clear:               5
Last eight years:             3
Clean up this mess:        3
Deficits we inherited:    4

WashJeff on January 21, 2010 at 10:40 PM

………and

“There’s a lot of anger at the Senate,” said Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y.,

…..Greatest Administration Evaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

Waterloo!

Robert_Paulson on January 21, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Man I know this is getting a lot of play because of the Health Bill…..but ABBA has got to be one of the worst acts I can remember.

Maybe it’s because I grew up on the Doors,Zeppelin,Sabbath,Ohio Players,and Marvin Gaye, but when I see this video,I just cringe.

I know there are a lot of ABBA fans and I mean no dis-respect, but their act on that video looks like it should be playing at a water park on Saturday nights and doing jingles for cat food during the week…..

…just dam#…no timing or rhythm in their dancing….

……….and man,where did that guy get that cape.

…..I know “waterloo” has caught on pretty well…
….But I think of this watching Obama’s agenda crumble around him:

I know it would be no fun watching these guys getting into a pillow fight like the ABBA girls but they sure as he!! rock.

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 10:41 PM

INC on January 21, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Blame Bush The Buck stops at my desk

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 10:46 PM

WashJeff on January 21, 2010 at 10:40 PM

:-)

I suppose if Gibbs can continually give non-answers to questions, then Obama can certainly give a non-speech (he seems to have had practice!).

What do you bet that the SOTU is going to sound like his campaign warmed over?

Hope/Change/Bush’s Fault/GOP Obstructionists/Jobs Created-Saved/We will Work Hard-Communicate More

INC on January 21, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I was writing my comment while yours posted!

INC on January 21, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I disagree with the “The Buck stops at my desk” unless you are predicting a turrets syndrome attack, then he may mistakenly say that again.

bluemarlin on January 21, 2010 at 10:49 PM

INC on January 21, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Talk about being on the same page!!…..

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Good Post as always. You must have been a fan of Doctor Johnny Fever of WKRP in Cincy. I like some of their songs but most of the ABBA music videos are cheesy and very Euro.

Dire Straits on January 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Dire Straits on January 21, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Yup! The big bad oil companies can’t make a profit, but Obama will sure as hell tax it to the point of $8 dollars a gallon. That’s the moral thing to do.

capejasmine on January 21, 2010 at 10:51 PM

bluemarlin on January 21, 2010 at 10:49 PM

The buck gets printed here?

WashJeff on January 21, 2010 at 10:53 PM

bluemarlin on January 21, 2010 at 10:49 PM

I know…I know….and you are right.

But you know how liberals work.

He will spend 98% of the time blaming all his failures on what he inherited from Bush but get one line in there taking responsibility so that his activists friends in the press can provide cover by saying “he did take responsibility”.

It’s typical liberal word games…
….like the pathetic”we support the troops,we just don’t support their mission” kind of drivel we here from the “smart ones”.

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 10:54 PM

INC on January 21, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Whatever He says I bet Chris Mathews gets soo excited he pisses himself!

dhunter on January 21, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Dire Straits on January 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Right on the Mark…..

Doctor Johnny Fever was cool but I liked Wolfman Jack the best.

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 10:59 PM

“He still is yet to go after Big Oil”

I wonder if he’d dare.

He’s going after the banks, isn’t he? Despite the alleged credit freeze, etc. Never underestimate the nihilism of a committed Progressive.

JDPerren on January 21, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 10:59 PM

I concur. Wolfman Jack was the best DJ on Radio in the day.

Dire Straits on January 21, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Dire Straits on January 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM

…If we ever run into each other …. The first round of brews and the tequila shots to wash it down,are on me.

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Sounds great! I’m game.

Dire Straits on January 21, 2010 at 11:27 PM

The thermometer is going lower, more than it went higher before.
Time there was warmth and plenty, but that cup soon runneth no more.
Though we could not caution all, we still might warn a few:
Dont lend your hand to raise no flag atop no Ship of Obama Fools.

Ship of Obama Fools on a cold cruel sea
Ship of Obama Fools sail away from we.
It was later than we thought, when we still might have believed as you,
Now we can no longer share your delusions, Ship of Obama Fools.

MB4 on January 21, 2010 at 11:38 PM

We pass a lot of good things, and it goes over there to die.”

And thank God for that, at least when those clowns are in charge.

irishspy on January 21, 2010 at 11:42 PM

okay Dire Straits and Baxter Greene – get a room you two.

kscheuller on January 21, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Baxter Greene on January 21, 2010 at 10:54 PM

If that’s the case then your presentation of his speech, to offer all it will take to satisfy the media, will probably look like this:

Blame Bush,Blame Bush,Blame Bush,Blame Bush,Blame Bush
Blame Bush,Blame Bush,Blame The Bush,Blame Bush,Blame Bush, Blame Bush,Blame Bush
Blame Bush,Blame Buck Bush,Blame Bush,Blame Bush,Blame Bush
Blame Bush, Blame Bush,Blame Bush
Blame Bush,Blame Bush stops,Blame Bush,Blame Bush,Blame Bush
Blame Bush,Blame Bush at,Blame Bush,Blame Bush,Blame Bush, Blame Bush,Blame Bush
Blame Bush,Blame my Bush,Blame Bush,Blame Bush,Blame Bush, Blame Bush,Blame Bush
Blame Bush,Blame Bush desk,Blame Bush,Blame Bush,Blame Bush

Yoop on January 21, 2010 at 11:48 PM

okay Dire Straits and Baxter Greene – get a room you two.

kscheuller on January 21, 2010 at 11:44 PM

No Room… Sorry I don’t swing from that branch but I’m all about Beer drinking.

Dire Straits on January 22, 2010 at 12:04 AM

INC on January 21, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Sometime during the SOTU, he will mention how we, the bitter clingers, “tea-baggers” and other unpatriotic riff-raff, are being obstructionists for piurely for obstruction’s sake. As he says this, he will perform his subtle “give them the finger as I scratch my head” act.

ya2daup on January 22, 2010 at 12:40 AM

okay Dire Straits and Baxter Greene – get a room you two.

kscheuller on January 21, 2010 at 11:44 PM

…well we certainly did not mean to leave you out….
………there would be plenty of beer and tequila for you to……
…………which is the only thing we were talking about getting.

Baxter Greene on January 22, 2010 at 1:17 AM

Yoop on January 21, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Heh!!!
………..much better.

Baxter Greene on January 22, 2010 at 1:19 AM

“Sometime during the SOTU, he will mention how we, the bitter clingers, “tea-baggers” and other unpatriotic riff-raff, are being obstructionists ‘purely for’ {EDITED} obstruction’s sake. As he says this, he will perform his subtle “give them the finger as I scratch my head” act.”

ya2daup on January 22, 2010 at 12:40 AM

——————-

Yep! And then demand that us “tea-baggers” who want to make a “better America,” MUST cave to his agenda and support Marxism. Ideas about individualism, liberty, and capitalism are “the failed policies of the past.” BUSH’s FAULT!!!!

shorebird on January 22, 2010 at 1:21 AM

A Senate staffer told TPM yesterday that the feeling among the Democratic caucus at Brown’s victory was actually relief that in Brown’s victory they finally had an excuse to step back from the ledge…now I’m thinking maybe it’s true.

HELLO!? This is what I’ve been saying here for how long now? Brown was THEIR PREFERENCE… at least for this moment.

leftnomore on January 22, 2010 at 3:20 AM

Hey, that 6 months was worth it in a way. It showed the Democrats for what they are, people who have NO regard for the law, the Constitution, or anything other than getting their way like a batch of squabbling little babies.

{^_^}

herself on January 22, 2010 at 4:20 AM

Hey Obama , the debate is OVAH.

the_nile on January 22, 2010 at 4:44 AM

As has been stated many times in many different places, what 0bama is doing is either out of sheer stupidity or by design. Either way, the result is still the same. I believe it to be the latter based on what he has said and with whom he has associated.

When people like this are cornered, the end will not be good. On that note, I’m looking forward to Glenn Beck’s special tonight.

I concur. Wolfman Jack was the best DJ on Radio in the day.

Dire Straits on January 21, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Wolman Jack reigns supreme. But I was also a fan of Charlie Tuna (not to be confused with Charlie THE Tuna of Starkist) and Oogie Pringle.

J.J. Sefton on January 22, 2010 at 5:58 AM

Please come to Boston in the springtime
The hotels are half-empty and there’s lots of room
You can sell your programs with your sweet talk
Show how the economy is set to boom.
Please come to Boston, He said no.
From an undisclosed location in D.C.

And He said, Martha, you really let us down
It’s now clear that this fellow, Brown
Has poked a hole in my grand strategy
Big enough to drive a truck through–literally.

Barnestormer on January 22, 2010 at 6:39 AM

I thought this might happen. Many, not all of course, but many were looking for a way out.

Missy on January 22, 2010 at 8:12 AM

I think it’s as you said, just a mattern of currency. Reconciliation was on the table for a few minutes until Nancy talked to enough people to realize it wasn’t going to happen.

I think the wheels are officially off now.

Missy on January 22, 2010 at 8:14 AM

and it goes over there to die

Which is precisely what the founders intended the role of the Senate to be.

MarkTheGreat on January 22, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Today’s funny one-liner:

Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., a liberal who wants to push ahead with healthcare reform,said “We pass a lot of good things, and it goes over there to die.”

WOW

Blacksmith8 on January 22, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Blacksmith8 on January 22, 2010 at 8:54 AM

It’s very clear now that the Dems are just plain insane and stupid.

BetseyRoss on January 22, 2010 at 9:10 AM

A Senate staffer told TPM yesterday that the feeling among the Democratic caucus at Brown’s victory was actually relief that in Brown’s victory they finally had an excuse to step back from the ledge. precipice of the doorstop.

FIFY.

SKYFOX on January 22, 2010 at 10:48 AM

We pass a lot of good things, and it goes over there to die.

Oh, just die already, and get it over with….

bandarlog on January 22, 2010 at 12:29 PM

okay Dire Straits and Baxter Greene – get a room you two.

kscheuller on January 21, 2010 at 11:44 PM
…well we certainly did not mean to leave you out….
………there would be plenty of beer and tequila for you to……
…………which is the only thing we were talking about getting.

Baxter Greene on January 22, 2010 at 1:17 AM

welll – since you put it that way, you know I was only kidding ;-)

I’m not a big tequila drinker, but I do like beer and single malt scotch.

kscheuller on January 22, 2010 at 1:14 PM

BTW – you can’t take away ABBA’s rightful place in the rock and roll Hall of Fame. You may not like their style, but millions did. Sweden’s #1 export throughout the 70′s. Sure some of their videos were cheesy – so were most 70′s videos.

Besides, the cheese cake – gorgeous Agnetha and Anifried and their equally gorgeous voices were the biggest selling points, along with complex composition in their later years.

Anyway – I like Zep and classic rock too – but Robert Plant aalso wore glittery spandex, you may recall

kscheuller on January 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM