Paul Ryan tells NRO: The Dems are going to try reconciliation

posted at 7:47 pm on January 21, 2010 by Allahpundit

I feel like Count Rugen: “Good heavens. Are you still trying to win?”

Which is a bad example, actually, because right after he said that he got stabbed in the chest.

Rep. Paul Ryan (R., Wis.), the ranking member of the House Budget Committee, tells National Review Online that House Democrats are planning to use of the budget-reconciliation process in order to pass Obamacare. “They’re meeting with each other this weekend to pursue it,” says Ryan. “I’ve spoken with many Democrats and the message is this: They’re not ready to give up. They’ve waited their entire adult lives for this moment and they aren’t ready to let 100,000 pesky votes in Massachusetts get in the way of fulfilling their destiny. They’ll look at every option and spend the next four or five days figuring it out.”

If the Democrats pass a health-care bill through reconciliation, it means they would need only 51 votes in the Senate for final passage. To start the process, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) would need to bring a new health-care bill to the House budget committee with reconciliation instructions, with the Senate doing the same. “They’d have to go back to the beginning of the process,” says Ryan. “They’d need to affix reconciliation instructions to a new bill.” Doing so, he says, wouldn’t be too hard. “There’s nothing we can do to stop this from a technical standpoint, since all they need is a simple majority vote and our ratio on the committee is terrible. What we can do in the budget committee is pass resolutions for the Rules committee to insist on certain changes in the bill and create a ‘vote-a-rama’ atmosphere.”

Even so, he’s not sure they have the votes to do it given the horrendously awful optics this will have for Blue Dogs. Boehner seemed to know this was coming earlier today, when he warned Pelosi not to ignore the lessons of Massachusetts even though she’d already held her presser saying she didn’t have the votes. But if Ryan’s right that it’s full speed ahead on reconciliation over the weekend, how to square it with this AP story that hit the wires just an hour or so ago?

Though reeling from a political body blow, House Democrats rejected the quickest fix to their health care dilemma Thursday and signaled that any agreement on President Barack Obama’s signature issue will come slowly, if at all

Democrats’ hopes of settling on a strategy by the weekend seemed to fade, as lawmakers struggled to comprehend the drawbacks of every option…

Some lawmakers said it will take time for congressional Democrats, who huddled repeatedly Thursday, to realize how limited their options are. “People are at various levels of the seven stages of grief,” said Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what the AP means by “slowly,” but in any event, Ryan seems to think Pelosi and the caucus have settled on the reconciliation path while the AP’s sources seem to think they’re still undecided. Meanwhile, Gibbs told the media today that Obama wants to “let the dust settle” and move health care to the back burner for awhile while Pelosi and Reid figure out what to do, which is as mystifying to me as it is to Josh Marshall. Quote: “Time is not on their side. I think the everyone moment that goes by, demoralization and panic sinks in further, and action becomes less likely.” Precisely. Why give Blue Dogs more time to think about it, knowing that every day that ticks by gets them closer to the midterms? Earl Pomeroy said publicly over the weekend that he might as well retire if this drags on much longer. How do you think he feels about it now dragging on for weeks more with reconciliation and culminating in a de facto nuking of the newly elected Massachusetts veto?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

No they’re not.

Fortunata on January 21, 2010 at 11:34 PM

God bless this country.

texanpride

Texas?

Grow Fins on January 21, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Tell me they’re not this arrogant. Please. I beg you. Because the alternative means they’re stupid enough to think they can get away with this.

englishqueen01 on January 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Snip the red wire, Nancy.

hoosiermama on January 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM

From time to time we will see the twitching, but it is just gases from decay that are exiting the body.

pedestrian on January 21, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I want my father country back, you son of a bitch!

~Inigo

Christien on January 21, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Gibbs makes my skin crawl. He has been slightly less smug in the last few days though and that’s a refreshing change.

kellyjane on January 21, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Gibbs is the silly old doughboy that fronts this radical administration – he is pasty and somewhat affable. Obama, Rahm, Axelrod, Jarrett, Rogers, et. al., happily use him as their facade.

He is the face of the fundamental transformation of America.

bbh on January 22, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Maybe this is another important (in)decision. Like 90 days or so…

2ipa on January 22, 2010 at 12:14 AM

I don’t see how they do it. They can get 51 votes in the senate. They have 41 to spare in the house. I’m thinking they’d lose at least that many.

chris999 on January 22, 2010 at 12:17 AM

The Stupid(er) Party.

Here comes Picket’s Charge.

Sapwolf on January 22, 2010 at 12:17 AM

I hope it is just twitching. But let’s stay ready to act quickly. We need a plan…

I have been reading leftist forums and blogs, they are mad as hornets and in total denial. Leftist leaders may be smarter, but I wouldn’t count on it. They are talking about their own 3rd party, about smashing the Dem party to smithereens.

They really don’t think the same way we do. What seems obvious to us is invisible to them (and vice versa). I have been trying to understand it, so far no luck.

jodetoad on January 22, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Here Dems. I have this nice collectible Mitsubishi Zero from WWII. Pristine condition all fueled and ready to go. Very easy to fly. You even get this original Rising Sun flag to put around your neck. Here, I’ll help you up. Just fly until you .

.. and then I woke up.

Caststeel on January 22, 2010 at 12:43 AM

I think they will still try to ram their health-care monstrosity through but in smaller chunks. They are not smarter, just more vicious and more willing to cheat and steal to achieve their goals.

After all, we are of the great unwashed and just “stupid knuckle-draggers” as far as they are concerned.

shorebird on January 22, 2010 at 12:44 AM

jodetoad on January 22, 2010 at 12:22 AM

The only way to sincerely understand what they’re thinking is to sincerely check yourself into the same mental ward they’re in… and I’m not up for that.

Chaz706 on January 22, 2010 at 12:47 AM

shorebird on January 22, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Back to the zombie analogy on Obama care…

First we tried hitting it… that didn’t work.

Then we tried shooting it… that didn’t work

Then with our last stand we tried throwing everything we had… it looked dead, but it rose back up again.

Then with the Brown election we blew it up, and were certain we killed it…

… now the bits and pieces are crawling to our door.

What’s it going to take?

Chaz706 on January 22, 2010 at 12:50 AM

It ain’t happening.

galvestonian on January 22, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Back to the zombie analogy on Obama care…

First we tried hitting it… that didn’t work.

Then we tried shooting it… that didn’t work

Then with the Brown election we blew it up, and were certain we killed it…

… now the bits and pieces are crawling to our door.

What’s it going to take?

Chaz706 on January 22, 2010 at 12:50 AM

I see it more like the Death Star. We blew it up once; now the EmperorPelosi and Darth VaderReid want to build a new one.

CatsGodot on January 22, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Back to the zombie analogy on Obama care…

First we tried hitting it… that didn’t work.

Then we tried shooting it… that didn’t work

Then with the Brown election we blew it up, and were certain we killed it…

… now the bits and pieces are crawling to our door.

What’s it going to take?

Chaz706 on January 22, 2010 at 12:50 AM

CatsGodot on January 22, 2010 at 1:09 AM

(oops, sorry about the double-post)

CatsGodot on January 22, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Gibbs … is the face mask of the fundamental transformation destruction of America.

bbh on January 22, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Fify

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on January 22, 2010 at 1:23 AM

bbh on January 22, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Gibbs is the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

ya2daup on January 22, 2010 at 1:36 AM

Gibbs: “Obama has ‘full plate’”

… and like a spoiled brat, he insists that he be allowed to eat dessert – lots and lots of dessert (health care “reform” and Cap-and-Tax) – rather than eat his vegetables (Afghanistan, terrorist attacks, the economy and unemployment).

ya2daup on January 22, 2010 at 1:42 AM

I was going to say unbelievable but… it’s not. It’s predictable now.

petunia on January 22, 2010 at 1:57 AM

We could well be witnessing the end of the Democrat Party. They are simply going to destroy it. We thought the Republicans were finished for awhile. It turns out the Democrats can’t handle success without self-destructing.

We need two parties. We really do. I wonder what the new one will be called.

petunia on January 22, 2010 at 2:01 AM

great. let them do that.

I would love to see the full destruction of the undemocratic party

mooseburger on January 22, 2010 at 2:28 AM

great. let them do that.

I would love to see the full destruction of the undemocratic party

My thoughts exactly. Please…oh please try it. That would be so delicious. We would pick up so many seats in both houses. Then we could have impeachment hearings!

johnnybgood on January 22, 2010 at 2:44 AM

Reconciliation will guarantee the Bamster an early retirement. So be it. Voter backlash will probably be more than enough to roll it back after 2012.

petefrt on January 22, 2010 at 2:46 AM

Healthcare is good, state run healthcare is bad. Believe me, I’m Canadian and living the socialist nightmare that is (so called) universal healthcare. It’s extremely expensive and unsustainable. The unwashed masses must wait in line even if they can afford to step out of line and pay their way. We are NOT ALLOWED to seek healthcare outside of government.

kellyjane on January 22, 2010 at 4:22 AM

They are revealed. They are a one-trick pony, a one-note wonder. Health care “Reform” or bust.

Bust, Nanc. But do it. Please, please, please, please, please do it.

Grace_is_sufficient on January 22, 2010 at 6:17 AM

NOW is the time to use those new rights granted by the SC. The ad – watch as your Democratic Senatora and representatives continue on with Obamacare. They despise you.

Don L on January 22, 2010 at 6:29 AM

Ed, aren’t we near the 1 year Gitmo closure deadline that Mr. Obama so valiantly waved in our faces with that EXORD last year?

I wonder how that’s going?/

ted c on January 22, 2010 at 6:32 AM

This is a warning for us Republicans/Conservatives to not let our guard down and let ourselves be lulled into thinking that we have “won.” The battle has just begun. Sometimes, I think that this momentum we are building now will peak too soon to have an effect on the mid-term elections. I have to just keep praying that the Dems will keep screwing up. Having said that, maybe I should be happy they will attempt something like reconciliation.

NavyMustang on January 22, 2010 at 6:36 AM

Let the bastards try reconciliation, they’ll be skunked in November.

BottomLine5 on January 22, 2010 at 7:11 AM

englishqueen01 on January 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM

I will tell you their arrogance has blinded them. However, don’t underestimate the power of faith in this. They are true believers in Stateism.

Osis on January 22, 2010 at 7:21 AM

Don L on January 22, 2010 at 6:29 AM

Great point. I just wonder if Obama wishes he had not trashed so many of our businesses.

Nah…

CWforFreedom on January 22, 2010 at 7:23 AM

I think they will use the nuke option. I just can’t see them letting this go to waste. This has been their dream and they are mired in groupthink.

gatorfanatic on January 22, 2010 at 7:29 AM

We need two parties. We really do. I wonder what the new one will be called.

petunia on January 22, 2010 at 2:01 AM
—————-

“The Republicans’ Bitches”

fossten on January 22, 2010 at 8:11 AM

We need two parties. We really do. I wonder what the new one will be called.

petunia on January 22, 2010 at 2:01 AM
————–

“The Republicans’ B!tches”

fossten on January 22, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Please do this…please take this step…if they think the American people, after this election, will sit by and idling watch the dems circumvent the constitution with a “loop hole”, they are bigger fools.
They won’t have a seat left after the revolt.
I hope they are this stupid…Mass was not an aberration, it was just the beginning.
Boxer knows this, Reid knows this, Nelson certainly knows it more then anyone.
Please dems, be this stupid, continue not to trust or listen to the people…it will be the conservatives finest hour.

right2bright on January 22, 2010 at 8:22 AM

The Stupid(er) Party.

Here comes Picket’s Charge.

Sapwolf on January 22, 2010 at 12:17 AM

It is not stupidity. Attributing stupidity to the socialists in America is like attributing stupidity to the Bolsheviks during their revolution, that is to say, it is not stupidity, it is a cold and calculating grab for power.

True_King on January 22, 2010 at 8:38 AM

I get the feeling that the Dem caucus is in total disarray. Different parties are talking about plans, but there is no central authority declaring, this is how we are going to proceed. (Goes back to another post today, ripping the Dem leadership for not having a plan B in case Brown won.)

I suspect that there was one group of Democrats (the ones Ryan talked to) who were hyped up to persue the reconcilliation route. And there’s another group of Democrats who have steped back and done a head count, realizing that even reconcilliation might not work.

All in all guys. Keep your guard up. No matter what you may hear, until Nov. it will never be the last word.

MarkTheGreat on January 22, 2010 at 8:57 AM

We need two parties. We really do. I wonder what the new one will be called.

petunia on January 22, 2010 at 2:01 AM

I hope and pray that it will be called Libertarian.

MarkTheGreat on January 22, 2010 at 9:00 AM

This move would put republicans in for 50 years.

I don’t think they do it because they know that there too many dems that see it as toxic.

TheSitRep on January 22, 2010 at 9:18 AM

TheSitRep on January 22, 2010 at 9:18 AM

On the other hand, it gives a lot of the Blue Dogs and others with their sanity intact a golden opportunity to impeach Botoxi’s ass as Speaker of the House. I perused impeachment articles for the speaker and proceeding with reconciliation with such a major bill, however piecemeal, may qualify the leadership to get tossed.

Botoxi and co. should proceed with great caution.

RepubChica on January 22, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Of course they will try to push it through! All the public statements to the contrary are just smoke and mirrors.

modifiedcontent on January 22, 2010 at 9:28 AM

We need two parties. We really do. I wonder what the new one will be called.

petunia on January 22, 2010 at 2:01 AM

I say we need 4 parties. Keep the two we have now, but add one party for libertarians and one party for the socialists. Give people a chance to vote for someone not a vote against someone. The more dysfunctional our government is the happier I will be.

txaggie on January 22, 2010 at 9:28 AM

We are NOT ALLOWED to seek healthcare outside of government.

kellyjane on January 22, 2010 at 4:22 AM

–Kellyjane, I had employees in Canada. You are allowed to have private insurance policies. There was a significant court decision (I think the Canadian Supreme Court) on this about three years ago.

Jimbo3 on January 22, 2010 at 9:31 AM

So Obamacare is only “mostly dead“?

Terrific…

catmman on January 22, 2010 at 9:32 AM

I’m on the fence here. I want this thing dead – and yet, the fallout from watching them actually do (or try to do) a reconciliation on this would be interesting as well.

Midas on January 22, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Reconciliation can be a two edged sword – the Republicans can use it to de-fang Gov healthcare.

fossten on January 22, 2010 at 9:43 AM

100,000 votes in MA won’t stop them… How about 100,000 votes in their own districts. I hope Zero dithers for a long time before trying something on this in the house. We won’t let the dust settle either.

Kissmygrits on January 22, 2010 at 9:48 AM

MarkTheGreat on January 22, 2010 at 8:57 AM

This was Rush’s theme yesterday: Disorganized Dems and their Drive-by buddies spinning in Discombobulation, Disarry and Dismay.
It’s a beautiful thing to hear them contradict each other!
Like the days of the Dem primaries when Hillary V Obama produced CHAOS!

kooly on January 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM

For Dems, reconciliation = hara kiri, so GO FOR IT!

BottomLine5 on January 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM

how to square it with this AP story that hit the wires just an hour or so ago?

Disinformation! That’s how I square it. They know they can’t distract us with another manufactured disaster. Now they are trying a head fake — oh we give up on health care — in hopes that we will quit paying attention and let up on the pressure. Don’t let up until it stops twitching!

bitsy on January 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM

The sword is theirs to fall upon. I double(blue)dog dare’em.

la.rt.wngr on January 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Lesson learned

When I was growing up my mother said politics was like making jam, you had to let the scum rise to the top before you could scrape it off.
I FINALLY GET IT, the scum is finally at the top, time to scrape:):) Look back to when the Dems.took control of the house in 2006, been downhill ever since.

concernedsenior on January 22, 2010 at 10:24 AM

It takes a few days to line up the bribes.

WisCon on January 22, 2010 at 10:26 AM

From what I’ve read, the rules on passing bills by “reconciliation” to circumvent a filibuster are more restrictive than those for ordinary bills.

Does Ed or Allah or other commenters here know the details of the rules, what the Democrats could or could not do and pass under “reconciliation”, and what techniques are available to Republicans to either water down the bill (make it less harmful) or drag things out so long that public pressure forces them to abandon it?

We could really use a well-informed post from Ed or Allah or the Green Room as to how reconciliation works, and what is and what isn’t allowed, specifically as it pertains to the health-care bills.

Steve Z on January 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I can’t believe this is the advice that Bill Clinton gave Barack H Obama a couple of weeks ago, unless he is trying to torpedo the Democrat Party, for not electing his wife to run for President of USA.

The socialist are at the gate, and they won’t be ignored….Time for the Democrats to clean house, and get rid of the Progressive Leadership.

Dr Evil on January 22, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Winners never quit.

Quiters never win.

But those that never win, and never quit, are idiots.

percysunshine on January 22, 2010 at 10:50 AM

The Dems have tried continually to weaken opposition by hinting that a bill is dead, then passing it in the middle of the night. They’ve done this how many times now?

The “play dead” tactic works by lowering your opponents adrenaline. We need to stop falling for it. Cap-and-Tax and Obamacare will not die until they’ve lost a majority in one house or the other. Period.

theCork on January 22, 2010 at 10:59 AM

You know, I was worried that the Dems would come to their senses on this, and we the people would lose our anger before November.

Personally, though, I think they are simply posturing for their left wing, only to say ultimately, “We tried, but the evil Republicans killed it.”

There may be some Dems that are willing to go out Thelma/Louise style; but don’t count Nancy among them.

Droopy on January 22, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Here comes Picket’s Charge.

Sapwolf on January 22, 2010 at

I fully appreciate the analogy, and in one important way it is an apt one, but damn sam! I cringe at the thought of Democrat politicians being in any way associated with the courage and honor of those brave but doomed men on that field of battle. They may have been Confederates, but they were still Americans, imbued with a dignity and love of country that modern Democrats cannot fathom.

SKYFOX on January 22, 2010 at 11:10 AM

this isn’t going to happen…

NRA Lifer on January 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM

***
Bring it on! Follow Comrade Obama (PBUH), SanFranNan, and Dirty Harry Reid over the cliff with the rest of the lemmings. Banzai!
***
Captain Obama–Iceberg dead ahead! Tsunami coming in 2010 and 2012.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on January 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I believe Paul Ryan is right about some of them. For many Democrats, this is the moment they’ve been waiting for their entire adult lives, and this time they know it will never come again. Some of them would sacrifice their careers to get it done.

Fortunately I doubt this applies to anything close to a majority.

joe_doufu on January 22, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Ohhh, do it, you bastards. This is going to have a backfire of nuclear proportions, so I just dare you.

evergreen on January 22, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Yes, let’s let the dust settle.

About six feet of dust.

connertown on January 22, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Steve Z on January 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM

The bigger question is how anybody can make them follow the rules for reconciliation. I remember Jim DeMint showing very clearly that Reid’s bill sought to change a rule but even though the bill directly referenced the rule it wanted to nullify, the parliamentarian said it wasn’t a rule, it was a procedure.

Total lawlessness. Unless we can make the laws and rules stick they don’t exist. So what we need to ask ourselves is how we can make the rules and laws stick. As long as lawless people are in charge of policing themselves, we live in a lawless place. Congress is anarchy with lawless people in charge.

justincase on January 22, 2010 at 1:51 PM

The government was designed to be cumbersome and inefficient to make it extremely difficult to pass anything too harmful. I hope that will operate here, as it has so far (if only by the skin of our teeth). If it doesn’t, the statists will remake our country into something none of us will recognize.

I think we should encourage the Dems to form another party. It would operate the same way Perot did for the Republicans — ensure the election of the Republican candidate.

Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom. Stay vigilant.

hachiban on January 22, 2010 at 2:10 PM

If they fanatically persist with this turkey that cooked Coakley they will definitely lose both house in the next election. First came the Louisiana Purchase followed by the Cornhusker Kickback. Then came the Union Exception to a 40 % tax on Cadillac Health Plans. Season this gruel with late night secret meetings, porkulus add-ons and other chicanery.

The people have spoken in Massachusetts. To use further dirty tricks to get this junk legislation passed would be suicidal folly. Let them try it!! PS THEY WON’T. Obama and his White House team may be suicidal fanatics but most congressmen aren’t.

MaiDee on January 22, 2010 at 2:21 PM

“We are the people we have been waiting for.”

And when he says we, he does not mean any of you.

MarkT on January 22, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Do yourselves a great favor and watch Hitler’s take on Brown’s election. This is the funniest video I’ve seen in a long time!

SoldiersMom on January 22, 2010 at 2:55 PM

this isn’t happenng why is HotAir keeping this thread open?

NRA Lifer on January 22, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I don’t trust the libs on this at all. I will never believe one thing they say, evah! If this week has not proven to them to stop trying to transform our great nation into the Socialist paradise that they want it to be, nothing ever will.

Their agenda must be stopped & I believe we are doing that in a “civil” manner as best we can. Not fast enough for me, but we are getting there!

margategop517 on January 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Someone better alert Chris Matthews…

Midas on January 22, 2010 at 9:35 PM

“They’ve waited their entire adult lives for this moment…”

How true. They’re committed Marxists whether they themselves buy into that label or not. You can window dress and Americanize them all you want, but that’s what they are.

They risk setting back Socialism for decades if they blow this and make it difficult for fellow Socialists to get elected in the near future, and they know it.

I don’t trust them and believe they have much up their sleeves and we probably aren’t aware of a fraction of what they’ve been doing behind the scenes to cement their power and advance their ideology. It will take at least months to figure out whether or not they will be able to pull this off or if they will give in and accept going underground again. In that case, they will have a better chance next time around (maybe 15 or 20 years from now) because they’ve come to this power not openly, but by infiltrating all the influential aspects of our society.

People didn’t learn from Johnson, Carter or Clinton so they will have forgotten much of what is going on now and will in all likelihood fall for a similar “hope and change” message years from now.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 22, 2010 at 11:50 PM

. . . They’ve waited their entire adult lives for this moment and they aren’t ready to let 100,000 pesky votes in Massachusetts get in the way of fulfilling their destiny.

Okay . . . wait. Apparently I missed something? When exactly did this happen? No . . . I’ve been around, you know! Heck, we all would have noticed that one!

It seems to me there are usually a few levels on which the Democrats commit their economic pilfering through policy.

The public reaction usually depends on how far they go.

One approach they use is simply demanding what does not belong to them on behalf of some constituency or constituencies that have never earned the access.

They always do that. They never just legitimately remove inappropriate or artificial roadblocks, and open the doors to access.

But another “process” they are fond of is to openly pillage among what others have. That one usually gets them into some level of trouble . . . when they start marauding around like so many brigands. That was one of the images conveyed by both of theses huge bills — they went behind closed doors, forcibly picked all the visible coverage fruit, and demanded that “the rich” pay for it all going forward. And then they wrote in the blatantly unconstitutional “exceptions” on behalf of their constituencies — the Louisana purchase, etc.

A third form is actual ravaging, or sacking what is there. After taking what they want, they sometimes destroy or at least severely hobble what remains. That was also an image these bills created. The “public option” was seen as a mere precursor to a “single payer” system.

The public could plainly see, even with the Senate bill, that they were intentionally planting an invasive crop, one that would sooner or later overrun and destroy whatever beneficial system was currently in place. And, the public had in mind a few recent reminders — including the housing bubble — of what can and will happen to the entire economy when government sets out to write a new lunch menu, one on which all entrees are listed as “free.”

Trochilus on January 23, 2010 at 9:54 AM