Reunited: Palin to campaign for McCain in Arizona

posted at 8:46 pm on January 20, 2010 by Allahpundit

Dude, I think this officially makes her a RINO.

Welcome to the club, Sarahcuda!

Sarah Palin, McCain’s former running mate and perhaps the most powerful brand in Republican politics, will stump for McCain in Arizona on March 26 and 27, a Palin adviser told CNN. The presence of Palin – and the considerable crowds and media attention she will draw – might give pause to J.D. Hayworth, the former Republican congressman and radio host who opposes McCain’s position on illegal immigration and is mulling a Senate run of his own.

The former Alaska governor will also hit the campaign trail in the coming month for two conservative heroes – Texas Gov. Rick Perry and Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann.

I didn’t think McCain would swallow his pride and ask her, but oh well. Maybe he’s taking that potential challenge from J.D. Hayworth more seriously than we thought. I posed this question back in November, when I first wrote about this scenario, so let’s pose it again: Does this give Maverick political cover to vote a little more centrist-y this year than he otherwise might have given his vulnerability in a primary? Palin’s endorsement is the gold standard among the base; if she says “vote McCain,” it might not be enough to get grassroots righties to actually vote McCain but it might be enough to get them not to vote Hayworth, which is all Maverick needs. In fact, it might convince Hayworth — or any other more right-wing candidate — not to challenge McCain at all.

It’s obvious what he gets out of this. What does she get out of it? Two things, I think: (a) The moral high ground, rushing to his aid after Steve Schmidt et al. have spent months tearing her down, and (b) an inroad into the media narrative that she’s itching to lead some sort of “wingnut apocalypse” or whatever that’ll devour all moderate Republicans in its path. Truth be told, if she was inclined that way, there’d be no bolder statement she could make than by taking on her former running mate, particularly by backing some sort of independent tea-party candidate. Instead she’s being a good soldier, just like she was a good soldier in staying out of the Massachusetts race until it was over, when she called to congratulate Brown. Take this as further proof that she meant what she said to Rush (and to Beck) about working within the party, not outside of it — even if it is a bit odd that Maverick somehow doesn’t qualify as one of those Republicans who’d best be replaced by a more conservative party member.

Here’s video of her talking up Brown last night on Greta.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Good for her.
Ya his campaign was terrible and Schmidt is a royal a$$hole, but I’m glad to see her doing this.

B Man on January 20, 2010 at 8:49 PM

It’s this. It’s called being classy, and it’s something foreign to Steve Schmidt, Nicolle Wallace, and Mark McKinnon.

SouthernGent on January 20, 2010 at 8:49 PM

I think McCain, although a douche in his own right, realized that he too got punked by his campaign managers.

uknowmorethanme on January 20, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Mac needs to retire.

Tony737 on January 20, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Dude, I think this officially makes her a RINO.

Or loyal and greatful for his faith in placing her on a national ticket.

But whatever gets more comments.

BadgerHawk on January 20, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Dude, I think this officially makes her a RINO.

Wrong…It makes Sarah a class act.

SHARPTOOTH on January 20, 2010 at 8:52 PM

She totally took the high road.
Good for you, my girl!

Chewy the Lab on January 20, 2010 at 8:52 PM

WTF? And we want McCain in the next amnesty fight why?

First Beck off his rocker, and now this?

Vigilante on January 20, 2010 at 8:52 PM

All hail the Wingnut Apocalypse!

John the Libertarian on January 20, 2010 at 8:53 PM

McCain’s embarassed by the base. I wouldn’t vote for a guy who insults me all year long, then finds he needs my support to hold onto his office, even if Ronald Reagan himself rose from the dead to endorse him.

Cicero43 on January 20, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Two peas in a pod.

The Dean on January 20, 2010 at 8:53 PM

If she’s a RINO, then I’m an atheist, a humpbot mechanic and a candy ass.
Nope, not feelin’ it.

ted c on January 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM

This makes me sick.

Palin is selling out. JD Hayworth is a conservative. McCain is a RINO.
She is showing she is no maverick. She’s has croni-itis

This is very very bad. VERY BAD!

It pisses me off!!

katy on January 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I hope people ignore her and vote him out anyway.

FloatingRock on January 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM

What is morally superior about promoting liberal Republicans? McCain is an enemy of national soveriegnity, the free market, and the First Amendment.

Chris_Balsz on January 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Dude, I think this officially makes her a RINO.

Welcome to the club, Sarahcuda!

You sir, are a treasure!

And I admire her loyalty. But I`m thinking I agree with Ton737. McCain is approaching his mid-seventies. He`s doing well for that age, but go home and kick back.

ThePrez on January 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Loving this ain’t ya AP?

conservnut on January 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Principles over personality, even when it’s Palin.

Weight of Glory on January 20, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Two peas in a pod.

The Dean on January 20, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Just like you and any given troll on HA…

SHARPTOOTH on January 20, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Mac needs to retire.

Tony737 on January 20, 2010 at 8:50 PM

I totally agree, but Sarah, as SHARPTOOTH said, is a class act.
She does NOT eat either her young or abandon the one that “brung” her to the dance.

Chewy the Lab on January 20, 2010 at 8:56 PM

C’mon, guys! She owes her skyrocketing career to his selection of her. Of course she’s going to stump for him.

John the Libertarian on January 20, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Personal loyalty is such a unfamiliar thing for many people…

d1carter on January 20, 2010 at 8:57 PM

I hope people ignore her and vote him out anyway.

FloatingRock on January 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I think they will, but I’m glad she’s doing it anyway. Back biting will get you nowhere. PLUS, I think she really, honestly admires the guy. Maybe not his campaign, but him personally.

UnderstandingisPower on January 20, 2010 at 8:57 PM

McCain would not allow his campaign to discuss Obama’s lifelong work alongside racists, Communists, and terrorists. His failure to discuss these extremely relevant facts hurt America immeasurably. McCain then let his campaign managers savage Palin in the media for months without defending her. She should not be campaigning for him.

Cara C on January 20, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Palin I would go to see speak in a heartbeat, even if it was over 50 miles away!

MopeyDick McCain?

Even if his daughter, Meghan Thunderthighs, showed up wearing nothing but a thong, I wouldn’t even walk across the street to see.

pilamaye on January 20, 2010 at 8:58 PM

What can I say? It’s what you got to do to get the nomination. You got to play the game. I hope he doesn’t turn around and screw her come the South Carolina primary (he and Grahamnesty).

milemarker2020 on January 20, 2010 at 8:58 PM

She’s loyal to McCain. I can respect that. The guy did put her on the map nationally when he chose her as his running mate.

And BTW, McCain has been anything but a RINO since Obama was inaugurated. Does that make up for his past dealmaking? No. But let’s give him some credit for being one of the most vocal critics of the current administration and Congress.

Doughboy on January 20, 2010 at 8:58 PM

I don’t think this will carry much weight with the Tea Party crowd. Hayworth will be their natural choice.

I understand her loyalty, and that is admirable. But sorry Sarah, you are wasting bullets here.

conservnut on January 20, 2010 at 8:59 PM

It pisses me off!!

katy on January 20, 2010 at 8:54

I’m with you. I lived in AZ for 30 years. McCain in the Ted Kennedy of Arizona, he needs to go. The only explanation is that he begged her and she felt obligated.

Vigilante on January 20, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Good for her.

B Man on January 20, 2010 at 8:49 PM

*facepalm*

No. Stupid move. After what his campaign did to her, stupid move. He should have demonstrated some loyalty after the election instead of dithering.

MadisonConservative on January 20, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Cicero43 on January 20, 2010 at 8:53 PM

In 2007, McCain wouldn’t publicly show at CPAC. He planned to get a suite in the hotel so he could privately hold court. By the time he contacted the hotel, it was booked solid and his plan failed.

Wethal on January 20, 2010 at 8:59 PM

She needs to go away.

happyfeet on January 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM

pilamaye on January 20, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Careful you just gave AP a gratuitous image, and he still has to do QOTD. AP, STOP SLOBBERING!

alohapundit on January 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM

First, the moral high ground is usually a disaster for the GOP. This will be a disaster for her. Yes, he put her in the spotlight. But then he screwed her to the wall, and let his staff screw her to the wall.

She needed to politely decline behind the scenes. That would have been the only smart move. Now, she needs to express that while she is grateful, she just cannot abandon her principles and support a RINO. This will damage her.

Spartacus on January 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM

It was classy of Palin to do this after his campaign staff behaved like a$$hats and tried their best to destroy her. They punked themselves, the losers.

Philly on January 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Dude, I think this officially makes her a RINO.
Welcome to the club, Sarahcuda!

Then you should no longer have any problem supporting her.
Back atcha catdog!

Amadeus on January 20, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Sarah’s a loyal gal. She doesn’t agree with everything that McCain does – but she’ll stand with him as long as he stands with her.

And besides – he’s going to OWE her now – and politically – that’s a savvy move for her.

Fact is … McCain is a loudmouth RINO who doesn’t care if he looks crazy. Better to have him on the ‘cuda’s side than against her.

HondaV65 on January 20, 2010 at 9:01 PM

This was a question of judgment, and she failed like she failed at her governorship and like she failed in her vp campaign and how she fails to come across as anything other than a vapid opportunist.

happyfeet on January 20, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Sarah Palin endorsing the senator who has led the fight against Obamacare, cap-and-trade, the stimulus bill, tax increases, wasteful government spending, lobbyist influence, and helped put Scott Brown on the map? Hmmm….that’s odd.

DarkKnight3565 on January 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Most normal people can’t wait to retire. Most politicians refuse to retire. Says something about them. Should be a clear indicator their time is up.

Kelligan on January 20, 2010 at 9:03 PM

She’s loyal. He’s not (he stood by and let her and her family be viciously smeared, including those from his own former staff).

But the fact that he wants her to compaign takes some of the credibility out of Schmidt’s smears. If she’s so bad, why did McCain ask her again? It now reflects on McCain’s judgment, which is something Schmidt has tapdanced around.

Wethal on January 20, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Personal loyalty is such a unfamiliar thing for many people…

d1carter on January 20, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Principles are such unfamiliar things for many people…

stenwin77 on January 20, 2010 at 9:03 PM

So Palin being forgiving and classy is more important than the RINO McCain taking our country further and further into lefty territory through his G.D. mantra of working together with a tyrannical party of communists?

B.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

katy on January 20, 2010 at 9:03 PM

DarkKnight3565 on January 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Yes, but…PUKE!

Western_Civ on January 20, 2010 at 9:03 PM

McCain is on Hannity now. Yawn.

Philly on January 20, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I think Sarah agreed to this deal before Scotty B. won in Massachusetts…

Sarah would be wise to take the pulse of the nation again, and feel the rage.

Don’t misunderstand me, she is free to do what ever she wants, but Mr. John “My friends…” McCain represents the gang of 14, reaching across the isle when the Dems wouldn’t budge and inch, one too many terms being too cozy with K-Street, and 9 years after 9/11, our borders are still not secured.

I love you Sarah, but choose your path wisely…

Seven Percent Solution on January 20, 2010 at 9:03 PM

She’s going to campaign for Slick Rick Perry as well, instead of one of the better candidates for our governorship. Time for the hockey mom to mind her own business.

The Dean on January 20, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Revenge of the RINOs? RINOs can’t win without conservatives. Conservatives can’t win without RINOs. Time to stay together for the kids?

rhombus on January 20, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Monday night: Palin Tweak
Tuesday night: Server Fail
Wednesday night: Palin Tweak
Thursday night: ?

ted c on January 20, 2010 at 9:04 PM

happyfeet…shut up.

katy on January 20, 2010 at 9:04 PM

She needs to go away.

happyfeet on January 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Tightly reasoned. I’m convinced.

Cicero43 on January 20, 2010 at 9:04 PM

McAmnesty needs to go. I can’t believe she agreed to campaign for his sorry, RINO a$$.

Livefreeordie on January 20, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Sarah Palin is classy. McCain shut up and didn’t defend her against his idiot campaign aides. But Palin always defended McCain and stood by his side.

Good for Palin too. She’s an asset and I wish more people in the GOP can embrace her. She’s not scary. People love her. The idiot elites in Washington might not, but the average American does.

cubachi on January 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM

I, too, think she feels she owes it to McLame. I just hope she does as good a job campaigning for him as his staffers did to her.

rmgraha on January 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Well done Sarah.

My estimation of her just improved immeasurably.

JohnGalt23 on January 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM

katy on January 20, 2010 at 9:03 PM

One doesn’t equate to acceptance of and help in the other. Some very flawed logic you got there.

Ryan Anthony on January 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Lesson learned: Respect the ‘Cuda or the server gets it. Simple as that.

Philly on January 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM

She needs to go away.

happyfeet on January 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Why?

unclesmrgol on January 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM

McCain is on Hannity now bloviating how DC isn’t listening to “the people”.

I seem to recall during the amnesty nightmare trying to get through to his office. Voicemail full, email full, faxes didn’t go through… what a joke he is.

I’m VERY disappointed in Sarah. She should have stayed out of this race.

stenwin77 on January 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Keep your enemies closer. Not sayin’ he is one but anyone know anything about this Hayward dude? He could be a bigger rino than Mac. Besides she hasn’t gotten on the plan for AZ yet.

Kissmygrits on January 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM

IF McCain was half as tough during the campaign as he seems to be lately we may have gotten somewhere last year.

He’s running scared. He’s a political phony balony

katy on January 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM

What would Reagan do?
McCain brought Sarah into the national spotlight.
She is not going to trash this man or turn her back on him if he requests her help. Imagine what the media would do to her then?
She has little choice.
Knowing when to be loyal to a friend can be just as important as knowing when to go rogue.

JellyToast on January 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM

I admire Sarah’s loyalty but think that she should have passed on supporting McCain in the primary.

farright on January 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Maybe Sarah can do a helpful interview with the press in Arizona, katy. She really sparkles in interviews. Cause she’s so smart.

happyfeet on January 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I keep hearing that Hayworth really isn’t that much of a conservative either… can anyone confirm or deny, with explanation?

BPD on January 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM

L love Sarah.
Never been more disappointed in her.

McCain has got to go.

The Rock on January 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM

*Sigh*

But she will be in Houston to support Gov. Perry, so I’ll have another chance to see her.

I hope they allow cameras this time.

madmonkphotog on January 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM

pilamaye on January 20, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Stopped reading and started drooling.

MadisonConservative on January 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Very disappointing.

califcon on January 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

It’s called loyalty.

wildcat84 on January 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I hope people ignore her and vote him out anyway.

FloatingRock on January 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I think they will….

UnderstandingisPower on January 20, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Hopefully it will be like when Obama campaigned for Coakley and the drones went to go see him with no interest in her.

FloatingRock on January 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Ryan Anthony on January 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Have another drink honey and join in a bit later.

katy on January 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

She’ll do this one favor for him. Then he won’t need to or dare to ask again.

Wethal on January 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

As I said in the other thread…Good thing Sarah Palin isn’t like her support. She has class, dignity, and knows how beneficial and effective John McCain is in the Senate.

You’ll never once hear Palin call Mac a “RINO” or “McShamnesty”. If only her support could be more like her.

JetBoy on January 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

DarkKnight3565 on January 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM

This. Say what you want about limp-wristed McCain, but he’s been one of the few assets the GOP has in Washington this year.

uknowmorethanme on January 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

LMAO…Allah? That opener made me laugh. Because I know you.

And appreciate you.

So there.

radioboyatl on January 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Can I has drink too?

happyfeet on January 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

It’s called misguided loyalty.

fify

califcon on January 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

FYI, Mrs. McCain is the newest “NO H8″ poster girl.

txag92 on January 20, 2010 at 9:09 PM

McCain’s one of the few Repub’s that can still generate heat on Obama. Good for her to see the bigger issue.

budfox on January 20, 2010 at 9:09 PM

AP logic:
Sarah Palin, not a RINO, associates with McCain, a RINO, then is transmorgified into being a RINO-by-association?
cf
AP, a RINO, associates with Michelle Malkin, not a RINO, then is AP transmorgified into being “not a RINO?”

Associations.

ted c on January 20, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Personally, I think Sarah just stepped in it big time. I think it will hurt her – it pisses me off too. I understand why she’s doing it, but aren’t we all ready for John McCain to quit sticking the shiv to the Republicans with all his reaching across the aisle? At least that’s what I’ve gathered reading the comments the last year with people saying it was time for him to be defeated. I was hoping for J. D. Haworth to knock him out. Now he may not even consider running? That would really piss me off.

silvernana on January 20, 2010 at 9:09 PM

On a brighter note, Gov. Palin will be campaigning for…
wait for it…
Michelle Bachmann.

mizflame98 on January 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM

happyfeet on January 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Definitely. I read her blog all the time, and agree with nearly everything she says:

The special election yesterday in Massachusetts was truly amazing. It is a clear indication of things to come and a demonstration of the momentum we all share in the fight for the values and policies that will get our country back to work. The commonsense conservative principles of liberty and fiscal responsibility are on the rise, and that’s why I’m going out and campaigning as hard as I can to make a difference. I can’t wait to join all of you in supporting these great candidates and many more over the coming months.

In the meantime, visit the websites of Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann, and John McCain. And join us as we embark on America’s journey to November!

unclesmrgol on January 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM

happyfeet on January 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

No. Your job is to shut up.

katy on January 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Once again, Palin makes the right decision. McCain is the only Republican running right now in Arizona. Palin also shows real class here, because if it wasn’t for John NcCain, she’d still be back in Juneau cooking mooseburgers. Meanwhile, supporting a known RINO helps her combat critics who regard her as too conservative.

Emperor Norton on January 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Please don’t lump us all in together with “we”. I’ve posted that here in AZ that McCain has been airing LOTS of ads during Rush and today (perhaps before but today I heard it for the first time) he aired one specifically naming JD Hayworth.

Yes, he’s worried.

And no, Palin is not RINO (I realize you were being tongue in whatever).

KittyLowrey on January 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I hope they allow cameras this time.

madmonkphotog on January 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I wish she would come and help out Medina.

conservnut on January 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Doughboy on January 20, 2010 at 8:58 PM

I can’t stand the guy and would never vote for him again!
I think he is a dumba$$ panderer and a simple dupe for the Dems.
He loves the sound of his own stoopid voice and face on TV, BUT,

Everything you said is true. He was probably pawned by Pinnochio!
Could not believe that someone would blantantly lie and hide who he was to the American electorate!
So, now, McDumb has been his biggest, most vocal opponent!

Sarah shares some of the same sense of Honor, but is not so easily duped!

SARAH 2012…. Hayworth 2010

dhunter on January 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM

katy on January 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

And what’s that supposed to mean?

Ryan Anthony on January 20, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Unless you live in AZ, your opinion is basically irrelevant, and if you do live in AZ, vote or stfu, it’s not like he’s been getting appointed to the Senate for all these years.

uknowmorethanme on January 20, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Here’s the picture of Mrs. McCain.

txag92 on January 20, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I’m sure it’s been noted already katy but a huge takeaway from the Brown campaign is how much Team R can achieve without any involvement from Sarah Palin whatsoever.

It’s really astounding how much.

happyfeet on January 20, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Michelle Bachmann.

mizflame98 on January 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM

1 out of three decisions isn’t bad I guess.

-Helping McCain
-Speaking at the National Tea Party Convention

katy on January 20, 2010 at 9:12 PM

JetBoy on January 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Hear Hear!!

JohnGalt23 on January 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Sarah has class, this was a sure thing.

That said, bring on Senator J.D. Hayworth!

RJL on January 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Possibly having a trade off where he will steer to the right on amnesty/immigration?

Silverwolf on January 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Who’s Allen West or JC Watts associating with these days? Those guys could be some contenders!

ted c on January 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM

You have got to be kidding me!

canopfor on January 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM