Olby: Massachusetts suddenly turned racist!

posted at 12:15 pm on January 20, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Howard Fineman of Newsweek calls this “a good question.” Perhaps, only if you’re a blithering idiot, or if you’re shilling for the world’s worst news anchor of all time. Keith Olbermann’s question? It comes at the very beginning (via The College Politico):

OLBERMANN: The Republicans and the Tea Partiers will tell you what happens tonight with Scott Brown tonight, whether he wins or comes close, is a repudiation of Obama policies, and surely one of Obama’s policies from the viewpoint of his opponents is that it’s okay to have this sea change in American history, to have an African-American President. Is this vote to any degree just a euphemism the way state’s rights was in the 60s?

FINEMAN: Wow, that is a good question.

Yes, because the state that gave Barack Obama a 26-point win in November 2008 has suddenly discovered its inner Bull Connor.  That’s not “a good question,” it’s a baldfaced smear on the people of Massachusetts.  They elect one Republican, and suddenly in Keith Olbermann’s eyes, everyone there wears a hood and burns crosses. It’s absurd, and Fineman should have said so immediately instead of playing along with Olbermann’s vicious fantasy world in which 201o Massachusetts has become 1966 Mississippi.

Fineman himself goes off the rails with this, however:

FINEMAN: Maybe not in Massachusetts, but maybe in some places, there are codes, there are images, ah, you know, there are pickup trucks, uh, you could say there was a racial aspect to it one way or another.

OLBERMANN: What were the Scott Brown ads, though?  Every one of the Scott Brown ads had him in a pickup truck.

FINEMAN: That’s why I mentioned pickup trucks.  I mean, my mind goes back to Fred Thompson down in Tennessee.

Pickup trucks are now racist?  I’m curious; do the people who make trucks also qualify as racists?  How about the truck manufacturers that advertise on NBC and MS-NBC?  I wonder if they like the implication that pickup trucks and the people who buy them are really latent haters and bigots.    Maybe someone should let them know about it, huh?

Update: Jim Treacher notes that for a sportscaster, Olby’s not much of a sport.  He cut away for most of Brown’s acceptance speech.  Good thing no one expects actual news any more at MS-NBC.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

I don’t understand the reference to Fred Thompson, either. He’s racist now? Why? Because he’s from Tennessee?

bamaconservative on January 20, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Think, older red ford truck… in which he campaigned in.

upinak on January 20, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Sounds like Keith is getting his scripts from Little Green Footballs.

irishspy on January 20, 2010 at 12:34 PM

If your looking for someone to not do business with… Weight Watchers is a proud sponsor of Meltdown with Keith UberdoucheFA&.

ronnyraygun on January 20, 2010 at 12:34 PM

For now, Brown deserves to savor a truly historic victory.

seven on January 20, 2010 at 12:26 PM

perhaps even, unprecedented? Most certainly it was “unexcpected”.

MarkTheGreat on January 20, 2010 at 12:35 PM

This response – while disgusting – is very heartening to me. If this is the best response Olby has then this is a good sign. I hope other liberals and Democrats follow suite and get nasty and pull out the race card while sticking their heads in the sand – it will only increase opposition.

gwelf on January 20, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I wonder if Olby knows that of the 6 people who watch his show, 3 tune in just to laugh at his idiocy and the other 3 are reporters researching a story on his lunacy?

stvnscott on January 20, 2010 at 12:29 PM

At least one has to be a Masters of Pyschology student getting ready to write a doctoral thesis on Olby’s screwed up psychology.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on January 20, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Olbermann is a huge pile of rancid left wing rat dung.

rplat on January 20, 2010 at 12:35 PM

GE — We bring good THINGS to life. Olby definitely qualifies. His foot/mouth coordination seems especially deft.

GnuBreed on January 20, 2010 at 12:35 PM

They’ve descended into self-parody now.
The Dean on January 20, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Perfect comment.

PoodleSkirt on January 20, 2010 at 12:36 PM

My husband wants to run for congress and plans on campaigning on his motorcycle. I wonder if that will make him a racist.

mizflame98 on January 20, 2010 at 12:36 PM

FINEMAN: That’s why I mentioned pickup trucks. I mean, my mind goes back to Fred Thompson down in Tennessee.

We love Teh Fred here in Tennessee!!!

ladyingray on January 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Does Olbermann read Iowahawk?

MAN
Say, I really like Scott Brown’s pickup truck. It’s wicked pissah!

WOMAN
Sure, Ted. If you like lynchings.

MAN
Whaddaya mean?

WOMAN
Just look at the record, Ted. From James Byrd to Matthew Shepard to the last scene in Easy Rider, pickup trucks are the official vehicles of Southern Republican lynch mobs. So are you still voting for Scott Brown?

MAN
No truckin’ way!

LASue on January 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I own a truck and ride around in it with a little white dog (he’s only 1/2 white but I think that is enough to make him a racist little bugger)……. Wait a minute, my co-worker of 20 years is a black man & he also has a pick up and a white dog…….I am such a confused redneck racist……..

(someone PLEASE give olberdouche-nozzle a really BIG pain pill & then we can steal his tonsils and his feet)

Ris4victory on January 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM

mizflame98 on January 20, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Only if he’s white.

Thunderstorm129 on January 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM

mizflame98 on January 20, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Only if he is a proud member of some “motorcycle gang”! Hurry… hold his hair back and tell him to join the Patiot Guard!!!! You know so he can be part of a “gang”.

upinak on January 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin type of vehicle that their parents drive but by the content of their character.”

shick on January 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Yes it’s racist that MA voted for the white guy instead of the black guy in the election…what do you mean the other candidate was white too? Next you’ll tell me MA voted overwhemlingly for a black candidate for president about a year ago!

DrAllecon on January 20, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Let’s see. I drive a truck, live in Texas, and want Obama’s agenda to fail.

Where can I buy my white sheet and really cool looking hood like Robert Byrd wore?

Do they have next-day delivery?

/s

TXUS on January 20, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Sick bastards.

the_nile on January 20, 2010 at 12:38 PM

These two winners think that only whites drive trucks?? Apparently, they have never spent any time in the rural south.

Bru on January 20, 2010 at 12:39 PM

shick on January 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Perfect.

Thunderstorm129 on January 20, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I have a Pickup…it’s also a GMC. It’s huge and whenever I pass a pruis, I turn the AC all the way up and floor it.

Perhaps I should run for something here in VA?

Youngs98 on January 20, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Wow, how can they keep this low life on the air? He’s operating at the same level as other intolerable bigots.

dogsoldier on January 20, 2010 at 12:39 PM

TXUS on January 20, 2010 at 12:38 PM

It was replaced with flannel. SO if you own flannel shirts drive a truck…. you might be a racist!

upinak on January 20, 2010 at 12:40 PM

How can anyone watch NFL football with clown around?

Caper29 on January 20, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Bru on January 20, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Fred Sanford had one too.

ladyingray on January 20, 2010 at 12:40 PM

It must be killing Olbie that he can’t say Brown has a Confederate flag and gun rack in the back window of his pick up.

And then the resurrected accusation of talking in ‘code’? I guess it’s not code if everyone knows it, now, is it?

More baseless accusation from the Left. I like how they accept and repeat notions they themselves can’t prove, especially in a court of law under the rules of evidence.

Liam on January 20, 2010 at 12:40 PM

From Reuters…

“We’ll have to think through this next year from the standpoint of tactics but in substance the mission can’t change,” Obama senior adviser David Axelrod told reporters.

Obama is now officially a radical progressive…

PatriotRider on January 20, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Meanwhile, Ted Kennedy was reported as saying “this whole thing is killing me”.

hip shot on January 20, 2010 at 12:41 PM

You have to hand it to Olbermann. Every time he opens his mouth, there are ten less votes for Democrats.

JeffB. on January 20, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I don’t think you can smear people with a comment that stupid and immature. If a five year old calls me a Poo Poo Head I might be amused, but I wouldn’t feel smeared.

RadClown on January 20, 2010 at 12:41 PM

How about the truck manufacturers that advertise on NBC and MS-NBC? I wonder if they like the implication that pickup trucks and the people who buy them are really latent haters and bigots.

What about those who have propt up those truck manufacturers (chevy, gmc, et.al) like the Democratic President and the Democratic House & Senate?

So Obey is calling Obama and all the Democrats in the US Government Bigot’s also, Not?

PappaMac on January 20, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Holy cow.

I hate at some level to take pleasure in the mental handicap of others, but Olby/Fineman delusion there is pretty freaking hysterical.

Midas on January 20, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Fred Sanford had one too.

ladyingray on January 20, 2010 at 12:40 PM

shhhhh, we know not of that 4 wheel drive vehicle youspeak of.

upinak on January 20, 2010 at 12:42 PM

This kind of talk could fire up all 12 of Obby’s viewers.

The Reasonable Man on January 20, 2010 at 12:34 PM

This dude “Howard” dozed off last week during Olby’s broadcast, and slipped out of his chair and hit his head. Until he gets home, it’s only 11 viewers.

JetBoy on January 20, 2010 at 12:43 PM

You mean the Obama’s don’t own a truck? How’d they get the White House produce to the farmer’s market?

Lily on January 20, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Do these cretins really think this is helping anything?

drjohn on January 20, 2010 at 12:43 PM

pick-up truck = scott brown & his supporters are racists….

Is someone seriously paying these people to be on the air?

D2Boston on January 20, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I would love to see MS-NBC declare that from now on it will be a REAL news organization, and to prove their serious, begin by firing this blathering idiot.

JayVee on January 20, 2010 at 12:44 PM

The more Olberdouche talks, the better I like it. I hope he keeps talking all the way through the 2012 election. If he does, conservatives are likely to have huge numbers in the House and a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate!

mwdiver on January 20, 2010 at 12:44 PM

The ultimate one-trick pony.

Track-A-'Crat on January 20, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Watching progressive Olby tie himslf in knots using his own ideology is going to be terrific entertainment for the next 3 years. Unless GE cans him first.

booter on January 20, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Man, this is such a LOAD-o-horsesh*t!!!

jgdp on January 20, 2010 at 12:45 PM

JetBoy on January 20, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Tell me you have a link to a clip of that!

Track-A-'Crat on January 20, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I guess I’m really a racist,I drive a Toyota pickup truck. Thanks Keith for helping me realize the errors of my ways. What a total idiot he is!

hip shot on January 20, 2010 at 12:46 PM

This is mental illness.

nico on January 20, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Only if he’s white.

Thunderstorm129 on January 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM

That goes without saying then. Nevermind the fact that his spouse is black, I’m obviously a self-hater for marrying a white conservative. Looking forward to being on Bathtub boy’s worse person in the world list.

mizflame98 on January 20, 2010 at 12:47 PM

In fairness, trucks (much like dogs) hate black people.

RightWinged on January 20, 2010 at 12:47 PM

These Leftist morons only have two answers: More government, and racism.

Daddy-O on January 20, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Barack-suckers.

SwampYankee on January 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Are all the black people I know that have pickup trucks also racist? Dude.

How about we turn this around and say the people who don’t like pickup trucks are elitist. And that’s putting it nicely.

SnowSun on January 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I’m sorry, I hate giving in to ad hominem attacks and resorting to the kind of shrill politicking Olbermann does…

but Keith Olbermann can go straight to hell.

somewhatconcerned on January 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Do these cretins really think this is helping anything?

drjohn on January 20, 2010 at 12:43 PM

They really aren’t thinking at all. They themselves are demonstrating hatred.

This display seems ridiculous but I think it is only the beginning of what will turn into a much stronger form that will be directed against those who they disagree with.

shick on January 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Think I’m gonna buy me a Ford truck.

And ram a Chevy with it.

noblejones on January 20, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Olberman is desperately in need of an intervention…like a pink slip, maybe.

AubieJon on January 20, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Keith continues to confirm that he is dead inside and does not know it.

wtng2fish on January 20, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Blah blah blah racist blah blah blah racist….

sonofdy on January 20, 2010 at 12:51 PM

This seems to be the penultimate example of the lefty spin that any sort of disagreement with their agenda is automatically racist.

The only thing I can think of that might top it is if KO called Obama himself racist for failing to close Gitmo.

Ferris on January 20, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Senator Elect Brown also wears a barn jacket in most of his commercials… And barns are sometimes used to store cotton and tobacco crops… And cotton and tobacco used to be picked down South by?

Don’t laugh. If that sick b*st*rd Olby can try to damn-by-association a choice in transportation, can the aforementioned barn jacket be far behind?

How much money does NBC lose on their continued support of this maniac?

CaptFlood on January 20, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Looking forward to the day where somebody actually runs NBC as a BUSINESS and brooms these morons. No way are they getting enough advertising revenue given the ratings on that network. If pickup trucks are racists, why is Obama helping the people who make them?

echosyst on January 20, 2010 at 12:52 PM

upinak on January 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Maybe they can say that my husband wearing protective gear and a helmet it code for the white sheet and hood.

mizflame98 on January 20, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Hmmmm…

Kind of confused now… can my NISSAN Pickup truck be RAAAAACIST? (obligatory 5 A’s).

Romeo13 on January 20, 2010 at 12:54 PM

As usual, Keith Olbermann’s communications eduaction at a non-Ivy Lague school has left his understanding of history clearly lacking.

In 1966, had there been a backlash against civil rights, then the American people would have been voting for the Democrats who were opposing civil rights legislation, rather thann for Republicans who were in fact supporting civil rights legislation.

Dumbass!!

JohnGalt23 on January 20, 2010 at 12:54 PM

What a strange creature is this ‘Olberman’ that you speak of…

Apparently, it is a hermaphrodite that continues to attempt self fornication.

Seven Percent Solution on January 20, 2010 at 12:55 PM

C’mon folks, Olbermann was just asking a question. He didn’t mean anything with it.

That has always been his defense when he’s been asked about his smears. ‘I’m just raising the issue,’ he’d say.

SteveMG on January 20, 2010 at 12:55 PM

These geniuses cracked it. Owning a pickup truck is code for “I’m a racist”. Brilliant!!

Sorax on January 20, 2010 at 12:56 PM

WTF? Didn’t the Republicans vote overwhelmingly for Civil Rights?

Holger on January 20, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Well how does it feel to be treated as a southerner? We have endured this sort of smear for decades, always accompanied with a wink and a nod from our northerner brothers. Are you beginning to see how the whole thing is a farce or do you still believe that only southerners are worthy of being smeared as racists?

Want to raise a fuss, talk about repealing the Voting Rights Act that afflicts the south. Guaranteed every race warlord and his brother will descend upon your head like lice at Woodstock.

Just A Grunt on January 20, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Ah, Keith Olbermann. Providing every village that doesn’t already have one its own idiot.

God bless him for showing us that, if you ever doubt yourself, your abilities, your morality, your ability to think clearly and logically, you could always be worse. You could be Olbermann. No matter how bad you think you are, at least you can walk away with the fact that you are, thankfully, not him.

Sorry, I see him as a national joke. Every word he says is a punchline. It’s like having our own little nationwide troll to laugh at. Anyone who really gets upset at him, just remember: look at his ratings, and ask yourself if anyone takes him seriously.

I watched the clip of him from the other day, regarding Brown, and I’m surprised he didn’t also slip in: “And, also, I’ve seen him puppies. Live. Whole, live puppies. Don’t like it? PROVE ME WRONG.”

CatsGodot on January 20, 2010 at 12:56 PM

ra-cist: 1. n. Anybody who isn’t an authoritarian collectivist. 2. adj. having the characteristics of a Pick-up truck.

forest on January 20, 2010 at 12:57 PM

All of a sudden I feel the urge to buy a pick up truck.

mizflame98 on January 20, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Rachel Maddow smirked that confusing telephone surveys by Brown’s org caused Coakley to lose.

The same geniueses who went crazy for Obooba a year ago are now hypnotized dolts.

Akzed on January 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM

The southern Democrats at that. Republicans didn’t start making any inroads in the South until 1980 with Reagan’s election. Nixon won most of the south in ’72 running against McGovern but Carter won the south back in 1976.

Other than getting his facts wrong, the parties wrong and his timeline wrong, Olbermann raised a good question.

SteveMG on January 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Ugh~too much celebration last night! Yeeee-Haaaaa!

Scott should auction the truck on E-Bay and give the money to the troops, for children’s scholarships, dogs for disable vets, homeless vets, etc…..

HornetSting on January 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM

WTF? Didn’t the Republicans vote overwhelmingly for Civil Rights

Well, Goldwater ran against the legislation in ’64 even though the vast majority of Congressional Republicans voted for it.

And, of course, Goldwater got trounced in the 1964 election.

SteveMG on January 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM

BTW, all the Mexicans I see driving in pickups around here will find it very humorous that Bathtub Boy considers them racist too.

mizflame98 on January 20, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I’ll bet he had this racist Senate campaign all planned out when he bought that racist truck 10 years ago or whenever.

forest on January 20, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I don’t like to pay attention to this turd, but is he worse since Russert passed away?

I imagine Russert would have forced him out by now. Him and the other madman.

Obama also has the nerve to call out Fox, while saying nothing about this sort of BS? Obama is as much a failure as a leader as Olbermann is as a person.

Any of the so-called black leaders on the left always seem to remain silent when these kind of talking points are circulated.

reaganaut on January 20, 2010 at 1:01 PM

portlandon on January 20, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Funniest Hitler spoof I’ve ever seen. Sent it to all my friends. Thanks!

hoosiermama on January 20, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Ugh~too much celebration last night! Yeeee-Haaaaa!

HornetSting on January 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Great idea. And, whoever buys it hopefully should donate it to the Smithsonian.

TXUS on January 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM

All of a sudden I feel the urge to buy a pick up truck.

mizflame98 on January 20, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Make sure it is 4 wheel drive. Then you will be a REAL redneck aka racist!

upinak on January 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Not just in Keith Olbermann’s eye’s….this is the thought process of the liberals in general.
If you go against party ideology and their agenda…you are an idiot,racist,homophobic,nazi.

Pickup trucks are now racist? I’m curious; do the people who make trucks also qualify as racists? How about the truck manufacturers that advertise on NBC and MS-NBC?

Nothing new here either…just a different target.

liberals have to demonize anything and everything about their opponents to justify their own lies,bigotry,use of violence,voter fraud,bribes,and just about anything else they will do to win elections and get power.

liberals will commit any crime or say anything to defend against the so called “crazy,militant,right-wing nazis” that don’t want their taxes raised and the private sector destroyed.

The olbermann crowd feel they are righteous,intelligent,and on the side of justice, so anything goes as long as it furthers their agenda.

This is the same type of liberal pretzel logic and hate that was used against Bush,Cheney,Palin,Rush,Steele,Wal Mart,oil companies etc…etc…etc….

This hate and idiocy is nothing more than a political tool to energize their base with hate and get the bigoted talking points out for their activists friends to repeat in hollywood and the MSM.

Baxter Greene on January 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM

SteveMG on January 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I don’t care if Olbermann declares that chocolate is GREAT~he’s still 100% wrong.

Stop eating paint chips.

HornetSting on January 20, 2010 at 1:03 PM

We’re all racists now.

LibTired on January 20, 2010 at 12:24 PM

And when everyone’s a racist… Heh, heh… No one will be!

newton on January 20, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Truck you, Olberman, and the Prius you rode in on.

TXUS on January 20, 2010 at 1:04 PM

JeffB. on January 20, 2010 at 12:41 PM

While I agree that he might send some that direction, I think he also hardens others to agree with him. There are many more like him.

I think he needs to be treated for rabies. (It’s not my intent to insult others who have had the disease)

shick on January 20, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Leftists have a limited playbook, which, along with a very limited intellect, lead to absurdities like that above.

Picture Olby sitting there in a straight jacket, eyes glazed and slightly crossed, staring off at some spot on the floor, tongue protruding slightly and drooling a bit.

The television is on in the ward room. Each time the word Republican issues from the TV, Olby snaps his addled response. One time it’s “Racist”. Next time “Bush!” Next time “Teabaggers!” Next time back to “Racist!”

justltl on January 20, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Sounds like Keith is getting his scripts from Little Green Footballs.

irishspy on January 20, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Or, from a pen-pal who happens to be a clinically insane mental patient.

Oh, wait… same dif.

jana on January 20, 2010 at 1:06 PM

KO’s philosophical world is a very small imaginary place. It’s a shame he takes his ability to analyze events seriously because he has even more potential for comedy than Pee Wee Herman.

ontherocks on January 20, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I guess all these black guys around here that drive pickup trucks are racist. Of course if you are a cool east coast dude, you wouldn’t be caught dead in a pickup or any American vehicle. Got to have that BMW look.

boater1217 on January 20, 2010 at 1:07 PM

In a particularly small state, it might be feasible to use a mule and wagon. I’m not sure what message that might send. Probably not to elect whatever dimwit had the idea but it’s interesting to play “Match the Symbol.”

I suggest a Hot Air game… Match the Symbol.

Symbol on one side / multiple choice answers on the other:

Pickup Truck =
Motorcycle =
Tricycle (with Bell) =
Mule and Wagon =
Private Helicopter (M. Bloomberg only) =
White Horse =
Ferrari (Hollywood voters only) =
Yugo (if you can find one) =
Military Transport (Madame Speaker) =
Bicycle w/Training Wheels (POTUS) =

IndieDogg on January 20, 2010 at 1:07 PM

WTF. They have a serious problem.

Esthier on January 20, 2010 at 1:08 PM

God Bless Mary Jo~this one’s for you, doll.
You are not forgotten.

HornetSting on January 20, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Immelt to Zucker: “PULL UP! PULL UP! We Are Spiraling In!
aghhhhhhhhhh!!!

percysunshine on January 20, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Poor Keith. His canckles must have been killing him last night.

WarEagle01 on January 20, 2010 at 1:13 PM

If riding in a pickup truck turns people into cross-burning sheetheads, then eating arugula makes people a bleeding-heart libtard.

What a retarded equation, Olby…even for the realm of politics!

Dark-Star on January 20, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Well, Goldwater ran against the legislation in ‘64 even though the vast majority of Congressional Republicans voted for it.

And, of course, Goldwater got trounced in the 1964 election.

SteveMG on January 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Next thing we know, Goldwater will be called a Segregationist by Olby…

MeatHeadinCA on January 20, 2010 at 1:14 PM

God Bless Mary Jo~this one’s for you, doll.
You are not forgotten.

HornetSting on January 20, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Listening to Rush?

MeatHeadinCA on January 20, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Keith, when did you stop beating your wife?

shick on January 20, 2010 at 1:15 PM