Howard Dean: Brown won because ObamaCare isn’t liberal enough or something

posted at 8:14 pm on January 20, 2010 by Allahpundit

Behold the eternal leftist domestic-policy CW, that all Democratic setbacks derive from their failure to push an even more socialistic agenda. Funny thing: If the deciding votes in Massachusetts were cast by disgruntled liberals who wanted to kill the bill because it lacks a public option, why wasn’t there a grassroots “vote Brown” movement in the lefty blogosphere? Did I miss that? The nutroots don’t much like the Senate bill either and, last I checked, their leading lights are all pretty reliably liberal, but as far as I know the party line among them was that everyone should hold their noses and vote Coakley. Or does Dean seriously believe that Massachusetts Dems were so ticked about The One’s supposed centrism that they turned out in droves to … destroy the Democrats’ supermajority?

Believe it or not, Matthews does a pretty bang-up job here of grilling him. Money quote: “If she wins, it’s a victory for your side. If he wins, it’s a victory for your side.”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

How stupid do you have to be to let Chrissy Pissy Mathews tear you up. If Dean were any dumber, he would have to be watered once a week.

mwdiver on January 20, 2010 at 10:17 PM

ROFLMAO!!!

capejasmine on January 20, 2010 at 10:21 PM

My dad told me about this and I swear my brain had a Operating System error of some sort.

People voted against socialism because we aren’t socialist enough.

Holger on January 20, 2010 at 10:21 PM

What’s with Pelosi’s tomahawk chop move in that video Matthews played?

BTW Lanny Davis has the same skewed reasoning that Dean uses. Their view is that America really wants the strange brew that the progressives are pushing, but the masses haven’t yet glommed on to that better idea because ObaMao hasn’t been a good salesman.

onlineanalyst on January 20, 2010 at 10:28 PM

YEEEAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!

Look at Dean’s eyes. He actually believes what he’s spewing.

TinMan13 on January 20, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Did I miss something in that clip with Chris and Howard? Howard Dean says they took a poll last night and of the 18% that voted for Brown voted for 0bama and that 3 out of 5 of them said that they wanted the Health Care bill and it should have included more? And that is the argument Dean is using that they are sending a message to Washington that they want more change? Is this true? Did I misinterpet that?

I think Dean is certifiably (real word?) crazy. Absolutely no logic to back up with his “facts”.

Mirimichi on January 20, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Fragged.

hillbillyjim on January 20, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Tuning Spork on January 20, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Thanks. I didn’t read any of the posts b4 I posted mine. I thought I heard him say that.

Mirimichi on January 20, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Wow. Dean’s only rebuttal was “You’re being silly.” Where do these guys come up with this stuff? Don’t they know it’s garbage in/garbage out? And Dean was no worse than Pelosi, “We heard what the voters in MA were saying, and we’re moving forward (with what we were planning on doing anyway).” We’re heeding it, but we’re ignoring it. Good luck with that, you dopes. I guess we don’t have to worry about the Dems begin seized with a fit of genuine shrewdness here. Floor it Thelma! You got it Louise!

smellthecoffee on January 20, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Unbeknownst to myself, I must have subconsciously voted for Obama because I wanted a more conservative candidate to win the presidency. I hope I don’t vote like that again

tommer74 on January 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM

tommer74 on January 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Yeah, I hate it when that happens! LOL!

NightmareOnKStreet on January 20, 2010 at 11:55 PM

tommer74 on January 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I’m in the same boat as you are.

So…. did I vote for McCain because Obama was not conservative enough or McCain was not liberal enough?

I know! I wanted for Obama to win, but I wanted to send him a message that I thought he wasn’t conservative enough and that McCain was too liberal so he should become more liberal and little Timmy was trapped in a well…..Got it.

Rightwingguy on January 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM

It’s a world gone mad…

Hog Wild on January 21, 2010 at 12:17 AM

I hope most Democrats keep this up… I hope it never passes but I hope they keep trying and keep saying the country wants to be more liberal… cuz then we can get rid of them for a generation with the next two election cycles.

I’m really starting to fear that Obama is going to triangulate, like Clinton… until he gets a second term then really turns us Socialist.

I just want these stupid people out of office and back to their little cocktail parties of the cool out of touch elites… Hollywood…. Academia… and let the grown ups write the laws we all have to follow.

Even if they got the most liberal laws in the world they will not be satisfied. There is no satisfying this kind of powerlust. Unless they gas us all. Then they would only be happy for a day or so.

petunia on January 21, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Global temperature went down? Sure proof of Global Warming… and proof that it’s caused by man and CO2 as well, right?

I’d love to have beliefs that would incorporate any possible action as proof of them; I’m just not capable of that level of faith I guess.

gekkobear on January 21, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Dean pulled a fast one on Matthews. Listen again to the key part which Dean uses to build his foundation. He says it incredibly fast so that Matthews won’t be able to do the math.

He says:

18% of Brown voters were Obama voters.
Of those 18%, 3 out of 5(or 60%) wanted a public option.

In other words, roughly 10% of Brown voters wanted a public option.

That means 90% of Brown voters DIDN’T want a public option, and Dean is using the 10% to build his case!!

He tried to fool Matthews by saying it super fast, he succeeded, and Dean was able to stick to his talking points because he wasn’t challenged on his bullshit.

Unbelievable.

Sixth Guard on January 21, 2010 at 2:46 AM

I bet his alma mater, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, is real proud of this idiot. Hard to believe he graduated was ACCEPTED!

fred5678 on January 21, 2010 at 3:54 AM

I’m going to bookmark this interview because I was laughing so hard. Dean’s either denial or spin is so insane that it’s got to go down in history as one of the worst blue on blue beatings evah! High-larious!

Renwaa on January 21, 2010 at 4:14 AM

Apparently they all got copies of the WH talking points and are trying desperately to spin the quake to some positive advantage.

This is quadrupling down on stupid. They will continue to drive the electorate into a rage. The Rage Vote, yeah thats what it is.

dogsoldier on January 21, 2010 at 7:38 AM

Just think: this idjit was almost the Democrats’ presidential nominee and could quite possibly have beaten Bush in 2004. We were possibly one “YEEAAARRRGGGHHH!!” away from have a certifiably insane Dolt-in-Chief.

Howard Dean: everything looks better in Crayola.

Physics Geek on January 21, 2010 at 7:52 AM

I see Howard finally got that frontal lobotomy.

sdd on January 21, 2010 at 9:07 AM

I feel like I’m a proctologist since I just saw two a$$holes.

Torch on January 21, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Dean :”You know voters as well as I do.”

At least he got that right.

The people who told him they want a public option want lower cost health care and lower cost health care insurance and bought-in that the public option would lower premiums.

If they want to continue to completely miss the growing disgust and disconnect with voters go right ahead.

MarkT on January 21, 2010 at 10:32 AM

So the dems elect a republican planning to kill Obamacare because they feel Obamacare is not liberal enough. Whatever floats your boat. And here I thought libs were sooo smart that they would pass a halfway measure and tack on all the liberal goodies later rather than voting to kill the entire project. But I guess if you’re willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater, then you are a liberal progressive.

eaglewingz08 on January 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM

He says:

18% of Brown voters were Obama voters.
Of those 18%, 3 out of 5(or 60%) wanted a public option.

In other words, roughly 10% of Brown voters wanted a public option.

Unbelievable.

Sixth Guard on January 21, 2010 at 2:46 AM

Pretty much what I was thinking as I listened to it. So let’s see a poll now about what people believe a public option really is. Politicians (all sides) just throw these terms around like they are all talking about the same thing.

And they aren’t.