Still time for a few dirty tricks in MA

posted at 12:15 pm on January 19, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

You didn’t think the Democratic monopoly would go quietly in Massachusetts just because the voters don’t want them any more, did you? According to Life News, supporters of Martha Coakley launched an effort to suppress the pro-life vote in Massachusetts today by broadcasting disinformation about Scott Brown and his support from Citizens for Life:

Behind in the polls to Republican Senate candidate Scott brown, supporters of pro-abortion candidate Martha Coakley have evidentially reached into their bag of dirty tricks. A Washington, D.C. based company is making calls to Massachusetts residents pretending to represent a prominent pro-life group.

The calls, from 202-461-3441, a Washington number registered to a company called SOOH, claim to be from Massachusetts Citizens for Life.

The caller claims the pro-life group is opposing Scott brown because of his stance against the health care bill, but as MCFL president Anne Fox told LifeNews.com late Monday, the opposite is true.

“Pro-lifers are receiving phone calls from people claiming to be Massachusetts Citizens for Life. The callers say that MCFL is not supporting Scott Brown because of his position on health care,” she said. “The truth is that Massachusetts Citizens for Life is supporting Brown because of his position on health care.”

The same number is also making calls to other state residents with various messages all attacking Brown.

“Pro-lifers are not the only victims of this scam. Our MCFL sleuths have found that this same number is calling people across the state claiming to be different groups with different messages — all anti-Brown,” Fox added.

Does anyone pay attention to Election Day calls from people with obvious axes to grind?  These attempts are so clumsy that it’s laughable.  After all, the Coakley campaign launched ads over the last week accusing Brown of being in the pocket of the pro-life groups while misrepresenting his vote on emergency care so badly that even liberals objected.  Now he’s suddenly anathema to the pro-life crowd?  Can’t Coakley and her allies get their smears straight?

Besides, Coakley is more than just a Democratic candidate.  She’s also the chief law-enforcement officer in Massachusetts.  I’m not familiar with election law in the Bay State, but I’d guess that some regulation prevents or at least discourages this kind of last-minute false advertising.  Does it bother Massachusetts voters that the person who would pursue that kind of investigation is the one conducting the disinformation campaign?

Update: Jim Geraghty wonders why Isabel Melendez is handing out absentee ballots on the street:

Could this be the same Isabel Melendez who considered a run for Mayor of Lawrence nine years ago?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Sure wish I could listen to Rush here in MA. Pre-empted by Charlie Manning, a Republican campaign strategist. Uugh!!!

singer on January 19, 2010 at 1:01 PM

How can this be legal?

Falsely and fraudulently trying to get people to do something financially on in the name of Haiti that actually benefits the fraudulent caller, for example, is illegal.

Openly and fraudulently getting someone to throw their vote to the benefit of the person committing the fraud? That seems worse.

Midas on January 19, 2010 at 1:03 PM

AsianGirlInTights on January 19, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Well, when she posted that she thought we were being paranoid, and the proof of fraud and illegal activity is going on comes in…..she’s been proven, that no one is paranoid, but dead on accurate. I’d hide too, if I’d taken that tack.

DanaSmiles on January 19, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I agree. In my district I always have to whip out my drivers license. I think ID is a must. Especially now days.

capejasmine on January 19, 2010 at 1:03 PM

singer on January 19, 2010 at 1:01 PM

You are on the net homeslice! You’re just a few mouseclicks away.

daesleeper on January 19, 2010 at 1:04 PM

singer on January 19, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I think on Rush’s website he has a streaming feed, and you can listen directly from the site?

capejasmine on January 19, 2010 at 1:04 PM

PLEASE SEND SCOTT $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ TO FIGHT LEGAL CHALLENGES

singer on January 19, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Rush, live streaming

OmahaConservative on January 19, 2010 at 1:04 PM

daesleeper on January 19, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Even better! Thank you! :)

capejasmine on January 19, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Where’s our Mike Eruzione?

Who is our Herb Woods Brooks?

What team do you play for?

ted c on January 19, 2010 at 12:28 PM

FIFY

VoyskaPVO on January 19, 2010 at 1:06 PM

daesleeper on January 19, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Alas, no speakers on my computer! Maybe I can glom on to my boss’ while he’s away. He’s a Brown supporter so I’m okay.

Thanks.

singer on January 19, 2010 at 1:06 PM

singer on January 19, 2010 at 1:01 PM

http://www.wbap.com, look for the ‘listen’ link near the top…

8-11 Mark Davis in the morning (subs for Rush on occassion
11-2 Rush
2-5 Hannity
5-8 Levin
8-10 Ingraham

Midas on January 19, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Have you ever wondered why the dems have fought against all forms of voter authentication?

We know why.

Geochelone on January 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Thanks.

singer on January 19, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Time to stash some headphones in the desk, unless your job keeps you on the phone.

daesleeper on January 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Rumors have it that Teddy has voted.

Oopsdaisy on January 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM

daesleeper on January 19, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Thank you!

DanaSmiles on January 19, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Paging Ann~does anyone see Ann?

HornetSting on January 19, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Midas on January 19, 2010 at 1:07 PM

You get Mark Davis? Sweet.

ladyingray on January 19, 2010 at 1:10 PM

HornetSting on January 19, 2010 at 1:10 PM

She came, tossed her grenade water balloon, and ran away like the yellow-bellied coward that she is…

ladyingray on January 19, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Thank you!

DanaSmiles on January 19, 2010 at 1:09 PM

And if you use an iphone: talkstreamlive or wunderradio

daesleeper on January 19, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Paging Ann~does anyone see Ann?

HornetSting on January 19, 2010 at 1:10 PM

My guess: she’s outside, hiding in her TRUCK.

Yoop on January 19, 2010 at 1:16 PM

capejasmine on January 19, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Hopefully she’ll hide forever

AsianGirlInTights on January 19, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Speaking of dirty tricks, Rush just reinforced my suspicion that Obama will turn the Haiti disaster to his advantage. I thought iniatlly about massive refugee relocations to USA. Rush suggests more — he may try to make Haiti some kind of a U.S. (voting) territory.

petefrt on January 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Between this and the fraudulent fliers claiming that Brown wants to deny rape victims medical care, I would think that the State AG would be actively investigating criminal charges for . the .. people … respon……

OH, Never mind.

OBQuiet on January 19, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Democrats are teetering on the verge of collapse because of their massive spending, corruption and push towards big government, not to mention slobbering over lobbyists and special interests. Interfering in this election would pretty much just be nailing their own coffin shut.

Slightly OT, this was a good article. I had to comment that she left a gaping hole by not mentioning another incident of Americans for change..tea partiers.

scalleywag on January 19, 2010 at 1:27 PM

FIFY

VoyskaPVO on January 19, 2010 at 1:06 PM

thanks. my bad.

ted c on January 19, 2010 at 1:30 PM

petefrt on January 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM

If its’ a territory, I actually wouldn’t mind that. Puerto Rico is a territory and has no real vote in government affairs.

SouthernGent on January 19, 2010 at 1:30 PM

SouthernGent on January 19, 2010 at 1:30 PM

The French wouldn’t like that one bit!

ladyingray on January 19, 2010 at 1:34 PM

My wife and I voted this morning -heavy turnout. Several Brown backers were holding signs by the driveway, but no sign of any Coakleyites….

They haven’t been raised from the dead yet. Check it out about 4pm EST

dirtseller on January 19, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Rumors have it that Teddy has voted.

Oopsdaisy on January 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM

LOL. As many times as he could.

shick on January 19, 2010 at 1:37 PM

petefrt on January 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Funny, on MSNBC of all places, I saw Schuster interviewing some Massachusetts parents who have some university students down there, and the parents are p***ed that the feds haven’t gotten them out yet. I realize the logistics are awful and I feel bad for the parents, but watching the parents beg and ream Obama about doing something was interesting to see.

BuckeyeSam on January 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM

You don’t think Obama went to Mass just to give a speech do you? I’ll bet he had on his plane all the usual characters who specialize in “get out the vote” after the election.

richardb on January 19, 2010 at 1:41 PM

I don’t know why anyone watches that guy, he’s the male equivalent of Rosie or Joy whatshername. He probabaly wears thong underwear.

scalleywag on January 19, 2010 at 1:42 PM

It looks as if there is a large “X” in the white area under the vote checkboxes.
That would indicate that Ms. Melendez is holding a sample ballot to explain the procedure which can obviously lead to intentional misinformation but is perfectly legal.
Absentee ballots are NOT accepted on election day in MA. As far as same-day registration, one must prove that they reside at the address provided.

Is there a more complete version of that video posted anywhere which includes her entire explanation and a full view of that ballot and the other papers in her hands?
Was the person filming this actually handed an absentee ballot or just sown one?
Do we know where this event occurred?

If someone can provide me with any of that info I have a family member who can officially have the matter investigated immediately.

Without any actual proof that she was indeed handing out absentee ballots this video is pure propaganda and I would be so let down by Hot Air for posting it as some sort of proof of malfeasance.

racecar05 on January 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM

There are only two types of Democrats, evil and stoopid.

justltl on January 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Independents (not the modern version of pissed off Republicans claiming to be Independents, but the more old-style ones) are mostly just stoopid.
If there are evil ones, they’ve already joined the Democrat Party.

justltl on January 19, 2010 at 1:56 PM

richardb on January 19, 2010 at 1:41 PM

He didn’t go to Mass. He just went to Massachusetts.

unclesmrgol on January 19, 2010 at 1:57 PM

racecar05 on January 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Nice try at outrageously outrage troll. Ed didn’t post the video as evidence of any chicanery but rather as part of a story currently evolving.

smfoushee on January 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Republicans, on the third hand, are doormats with brains and morals.

justltl on January 19, 2010 at 1:59 PM

racecar05 on January 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Sorry but Democrats have proven themselves corrupt and untrustworthy when it comes to holding honest elections. The burden of proof that they aren’t trying to hijack the democratic process is on them since they are the ones who time and time again get caught doing illegal things.

highhopes on January 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM

He didn’t go to Mass. He just went to Massachusetts.

unclesmrgol on January 19, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Actually he went to Massachusettes, America’s 53rd state.

highhopes on January 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM

I am ready to Unleash the Snoopy (dance) when we get the word tonight….

GOTV!!! Go Massachusetts!! Go Brown!! woot!
Scott Brown – Get this Party Started

ginaswo on January 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Wow, I am so not a troll.

This election is means a lot to me not only for the obvious reasons, but because my father served on the Board of Selectmen in my town, about 8 minutes down 495 from Wrentham, for most of my life and knew Scott Brown well. Besides his political activity, my dad held him in high regard for his service to our country.

My dad was excited to find out that Scott was running for the U.S. Senate. Unfortunately my father doesn’t have the opportunity to cast a vote in this election. He passed away in October after a miserable fight with pancreatic cancer due to lugging around barrels of Agent Orange and other herbicides while proudly serving as a Navy Seabee in Da Nang.

I have done so much work for this campaign and the fear of voter fraud throwing off this election has felt like a big rock sitting in the pit of my stomach for days.
Many of my family members work or have worked for the government at various levels (police officers, fire chief, town clerk…) and are in positions to have a situation such as this investigated immediately.
My post was sincere.

racecar05 on January 19, 2010 at 2:50 PM

I believe I just heard Rush saying at the end of his show that one of the Boston papers – maybe The Globe – had up an election map showing Coakley had won by 1 point. 50/49. If I understood correctly, he said you could check to see how each city had voted. It is down now.

I expect this to be the skunk in the woodpile foretelling of a dirty election. I certainly hope not, but I’d not be surprised.

PalmettoPatriot on January 19, 2010 at 3:08 PM

It ain’t over ’til it’s over, and I am not celebrating until Croakley concedes.

Philly on January 19, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Sorry to hear about your father, Racecar05.

I read elsewhere that absentee ballots have to be received by election day, unless a person lives abroad, in which case they have to be postmarked by election day. You would certainly hope nobody would be able to pass out illegal ballots right out in the open.

The sad thing about America today is that nothing seems impossible to the crooks who run this country. We all watched Al Franken steal the Minnesota election right in front of our eyes. We knew he was going to do it, we knew how he was going to do it, and we watched him do it with no way to stop it.

Part of the Cloward-Piven Plan is to make sure that elections can’t be trusted, and I think we’re pretty much there. I hate having to tell my kids that Republicans have to win by 10% in order to win at all, simply because the zombie vote and ACORN can steal anything within 10%.

And what we saw in Kenya with Odinga we’ve also seen in America. Poll numbers can be fabricated in order to make a stolen election not appear stolen. Coakley saying the polls are wrong seems to me to be a set-up for that scenario.

Whether she can get it to work depends on whether democrat poll workers are ever left unobserved so they can stuff ballots. That’s what I worry about. I think we need to have store surveillance cameras with seconds being counted off the entire time, so every moment is accounted for. No trunkloads of ballots showing up from nowhere.

justincase on January 19, 2010 at 3:12 PM

PalmettoPatriot on January 19, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Somebody check Manuel Zelaya’s laptop for the real results.

justincase on January 19, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Rumors have it that Teddy has voted.

Oopsdaisy on January 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM

He did, along with Mary Jo Kopechne, Elmer Fudd and Betty Rubble. Then they all got into a car, drove off a bridge and disappeared.

RadClown on January 19, 2010 at 3:16 PM

They all know me, I’ve voted there for over 30 years, YET *I*, as well as the next person, MUST show some form of ID.

DanaSmiles on January 19, 2010 at 1:01 PM

You still have to prove that you haven’t moved since the last election.

MarkTheGreat on January 19, 2010 at 4:14 PM

he may try to make Haiti some kind of a U.S. (voting) territory.

petefrt on January 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Territories don’t vote, only states do.

MarkTheGreat on January 19, 2010 at 4:16 PM

BuckeyeSam on January 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Obama doesn’t care about college students.

MarkTheGreat on January 19, 2010 at 4:19 PM

There is some speculation on the local talk radio that the hysterical level of smears really could derail the Democrat machine even beyond this election. The description used was this is like Toto pulling back the curtain on the Wizard of OZ, revealing all his tricks.

Resolute on January 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Rumors have it that Teddy has voted.

Oopsdaisy on January 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM
LOL. As many times as he could.

shick on January 19, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Massachusetts, election law states clearly, One Corpse, One Vote, anyone else, and pets, feel free to vote to your hearts content.

M-14 2go on January 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

It’s never too late for a scumbag to do a dirty trick, It’s what they do. Gaming the system is their whole life. Corruption their goal.
America is good at catching turds. So America must be destroyed for turds to flower? Errr stink?

BTW HA high load – rejoice. And I with you. Well done all.

Caststeel on January 20, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Thank you Hot Air. I was waiting for the outcome to be a bit closer so I could see what new dirty trick of smoke and mirrors (legalese or outright lie) Dem folk will come up this time to convolved the election results in their favor.

MSGTAS on January 20, 2010 at 9:23 AM