Scott Brown elected senator from Massachusetts

posted at 9:51 pm on January 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

With 93 percent reporting, he’s winning by five. The AP called it around 20 minutes ago but Coakley called to concede even before that. Just as I’m writing this, MSNBC is reporting that The One phoned Brown to say congrats. Everything, and I mean everything, has changed.

You’ve been patient. I shall deny you no longer.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9 10 11

I didn’t hear it, but did Obama really take a jab at Brown for driving a truck? I know he’s not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but was he really stupid enough to do this?

Erich66 on January 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM

D2Boston on January 19, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Amazing, huh Bud? Never though I’d live to see this.

TheBigOldDog on January 19, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Great graphic map-this is the same one that mistakenly showed Marcia winning before the polls had even closed.

The most interesting result I saw was that it was almost a dead heat in the city of Worcester-Coakley won by only 5%.

Del Dolemonte on January 19, 2010 at 11:49 PM

You left out teabagger…..just sayin

kcd on January 19, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Yeah, you’re right. DKos called him our “first teabagger senator”.

ddrintn on January 19, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Perhaps the Dem Pols would enjoy hearing these lines from the Tea Partiers about now:

[From Tombstone- Wyatt Earp]

“The law is coming! You tell them I’m coming . . . and Hell’s coming with me! You hear?! Hell’s coming with me!”

“You called down the thunder, well now you’ve got it!”

Yoop on January 19, 2010 at 11:14 PM

That’s awesome – I vote for this to be our new motto!

Thanks Massachusetts – you voted for all of us today! There is hope!!!!

silvernana on January 19, 2010 at 11:56 PM

please Obama stump for russ feingold,please

Gracelynn on January 19, 2010 at 11:09 PM

We can only hope…

WhoU4 on January 19, 2010 at 11:56 PM

You left out teabagger…..just sayin

kcd on January 19, 2010 at 11:42 PM

I think he was just being nice and not reminding the troll he got teabagged.

Fighton03 on January 19, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Erich66 on January 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM

He did and he is.

Knucklehead on January 20, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Thank you Massachusetts voters. Some will never forgive you, but I will never forget you.

jamie gumm on January 20, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Now, Massachusetts single handedly obliterates Obamacare. Its not easy, but this lifelong Steeler fan simply must say…Go Pats!

DrW on January 20, 2010 at 12:02 AM

So, Mr. President, how do you think the Scott Brown’s of this country are going to react to amnesty?

Saltysam on January 20, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Suuuuuu-priiiiii-isssseeeee!!!!!
Parrr-ttty!!!!!

Colorado Anne on January 20, 2010 at 12:08 AM

@Missy,
I dont know if you will read this message – but i hope to God that you do.

THANK YOU and people like you for keeping the faith. There were people on this thread yesterday who were pessimistic about this race – you pointed out that if people remained pessimistic Scott Brown would not have been where he was yesterday – and where he is today – The US Senator who has won the people’s seat !!

Long Live The Republic of the United States – Long Live the New England Patriots !!

nagee76 on January 20, 2010 at 12:09 AM

A historic move to the center from HA commenters! Congrats on embracing a RINO guys! I’m pleased to see you’ve finally taken David Frum’s advice and moved away from the destructive, extremist fringes of your ideology, towards a pragmatic center. A great night indeed.

crr6 on January 19, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Brown was even reluctant to say he magic word “Republican”.

Check out again. MA Tea Party people are actually INDIES: disenchanted conservatives against Establishment.

Frum’s idea is pro-Establishment Republican. Brown represents everything except Establishment Republican.

TheAlamos on January 20, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Sorry I’m late. What a birthday…got my wish!!!!!

America…F*CK YEAH!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Flyboy on January 20, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Pay attention, Republicans. The same thing we did to Democrats in Massachusetts can happen to you.

latinchic on January 20, 2010 at 12:11 AM

The Humpbot just cracks me up !

ALLAH, rejoice !!! No mo pessimism !!!!

nagee76 on January 20, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Third martini, half a botlle of clos duval and 2 mic ultras in. blackout imminent

Chuck Schick on January 20, 2010 at 12:12 AM

I LOVE CAKE!!!

das411 on January 20, 2010 at 12:12 AM

“First, Ohio sends Kerry packing and I have to begin loving the hated home of the Buckeyes.

DrW on January 20, 2010 at 12:02 AM”

We just won the Rose Bowl. Scott Brown just won the Senate race in Massachusetts. This is already shaping up to be a good year.

Go Bucks!

poplicola on January 20, 2010 at 12:12 AM

You’re forgetting this is the same man who sneered at “bitter” people who believe in God and the Second Amendment; mocking someone for driving a truck is no surprise.

See, because most people who have a truck use it to do heavy work – construction, landscaping, that sort of thing. The concept of working for anyone other than the government is completely foreign to Obama; ergo, a truck is the equivalent of a spaceship to him.

englishqueen01 on January 20, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Hope he gets on a plane tomorrow AM for DC, and camps out with the press.

PatriotRider on January 20, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Sarah Palin, you have a sidekick!

petefrt on January 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM

LOL Yeah right, Palinbot. Scott Brown has already accomplished more than The Quitter ever will.

voxpopuli on January 20, 2010 at 12:13 AM

DrW on January 20, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Let’s not get carried away.

IlikedAUH2O on January 20, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Now THIS is historic! The day American rejected Tyranny.

long_cat on January 20, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Sen. Brown (R-MA).

And with a big enough margin that the Dems can’t cheat.

Shot heard from sea to shining sea.

Okay. Who’s next?

Mew

acat on January 20, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Fascinating county map of the Bay State that compares ’08 HopeyChangey vote vs. 2010 Tea Party Massacre. From Reason.com

Western_Civ on January 20, 2010 at 12:18 AM

So sweet. Brown in MA and HA overload. Love it capitalism.

Caststeel on January 20, 2010 at 12:20 AM

We can only hope…

WhoU4 on January 19, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Hopenchange GOP-style! Yeehaw! I’m sure he’ll be coming to IL (my home state) to campaign, teehee! I just know we’ll be getting a GOP governor this year already, so I’m hoping for more :)

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on January 20, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Thanks Allah, been waiting for the humpbot. Awesome day today with Mr. Brown taking Massachusetts. And the country takes a step back from the brink of Socialism. You need to make sure the humpbot gets a good rest cause come November he’s going to be in high demand, the peoples’s tsunami is coming to Washington and we won’t be denied, our conservative voices will be heard. There will be a lot of unemployed critters running around DC in November wondering what hit them if they don’t wake up and begin listening to the folks out here.

nwsseeker on January 20, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Test.

TXUS on January 20, 2010 at 12:22 AM

So, I assume his wife wiil have to resign her post at the TV station?

SouthernGent on January 20, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Coakley got Pwnd!!! Thank you Massachusetts voters, it is “The People’s Seat”

Mini-14 on January 20, 2010 at 12:22 AM

‘A GOP win in Massachusetts would be a particularly dark sign representing “not just the canary in the coal mine,” said Wade Randlett, a leading Silicon Valley fundraiser for Obama. “It’s the flock of dead ravens landing on the lawn.”‘

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.’

cool breeze on January 20, 2010 at 12:25 AM

How about 10,000 trucks to escort Mr. Brown to Washington? I am in and I live in OK.

farright on January 20, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Hell Yeah, ALRIGHT!!!

It’s business time!!

DrRansom on January 19, 2010 at 9:57 PM

OT but not really…of all the drech that HBO creates and offers, they go and discontinue one of the few Series that was excellent (“Flight of the Conchords”).

“Everything ends,” to quote Carmella from THE SOPRANOS, including THE SOPRANOS and FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS, while the drech never seems to run out of runway…

Sorta’ like life, I think. Just not tonight.

Lourdes on January 20, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Well that was a sawbuck well spent. Way to go Scott!

exdeadhead on January 20, 2010 at 12:27 AM

I can usually hold it together until humpbot goes one-handed, but it gets funnier as time goes by.

Thanks, Allah.

And thanks to the people of MA.

Well done.

Readymade on January 20, 2010 at 12:29 AM

It’s glorious, and, I am quite drunk at this point, but a few unimportant things to say.

Thanks to everyone who made this possible. I know Brown is not perfect, but he is a sight better than what we have up here in my liberal state of Vermont. I am a recently disabled vet, and I didn’t have much to give, but I was able to send ten bucks Brown’s way, and I would like to think I played my part.

Next, let’s send these other politicians a message! I have lived in the South, and have thought of moving there given how much I love their history and culture, not to mention the similar values I share with them, but you know what? Screw that. We can do it. We can take back our land. I love this land; let’s send the [expletive deleted] [Expletive deleted] running.

They have us surrounded? Sucks to be them. Fired up now!

[I have had a few celebratory beers, so, excuse any typos. Hopefully I didn’t embarrass myself]

Angry Sapper on January 20, 2010 at 12:29 AM

How about a 10,000 truck escort for Mr. Brown goes to Washington? I’m in OK an ready to go!

farright on January 20, 2010 at 12:30 AM

This is amusing – the seduction of the Mass. electorate:

disa on January 20, 2010 at 12:33 AM

THANK YOU Massachusetts voters for making history!

NTWR on January 20, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Amazing. I’m so very, very happy! God bless US Senator Brown & the wise people of MA. While I may wish he was even more conservative, I think we should be happy that the Kennedy throne has been snatched for the next 6 yrs. If he’s a RINO then so be it. At least he’ll vote against Obamacare. It is a historic eve despite how moderate Sen. Brown may be.

I admire Croakley for being gracious in defeat. The rest of the Dem’s should follow her example in the future.

The best thing that can happen for Obama is for the Repub’s to pick up one house in Congress & close to the other which would pull him towards the middle. It was a blessing for Clinton.

I can’t wait to hear Neil Bortz or Rush tomorrow.

Did I say I was happy? haha Hurrah!

PalmettoPatriot on January 20, 2010 at 12:34 AM

We shall dispose of Kerry and Frank next, God willing.

Hening on January 20, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Erich66 on January 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Of course he did. Real men drive Volvos.

AshleyTKing on January 20, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Am I the only one who thinks Matthews is drunk?

Hard Right on January 20, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Hello?

Intrepid on January 20, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Probably already been said, so apologies, but…

Mary Jo Kopechne could not be reached for comment.

Blacklake on January 20, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Ok, as someone who reads vicariously at work and can’t post there, I’m home now and sublimely wrapped in the warm glow that only a couple of 12yr scotches can deliver. Also, as a Humpbot virgin, although I had inklings of what to expect, the splitting pain in my sides was worth it. What a ride. Thanks to all on HA who provide me with so much distraction (MUST. STOP. READING. AT. WORK)during my day. Your insight, analysis, and yes your banter, makes it all bearable.

Hey, where are the trolls???

I tried to watch some MNLSD and it was like a train wreck stuck in a loop. They actually felt that now was the time to push the agenda ahead as this somehow showed that sub-Zero hadn’t gotten far ENOUGH and voters wanted to send a message. To survive, the demonrats would have to deliver on HC this year. Huh? Are you friggin’ kidding me! So much Kool-aid, so little time. Let them fall on their own swords.

Thanks to all (with no small help from Omaha…) who contributed. This too sends a powerful message. OFA is in the weeds while this train barrels down the tracks baby!

OK, I’m in AK time so I’m watching some of this delayed on the tube… back to your banter. Reaches for the Glenfiddich…

“What did Brown do for you!”

turn_right on January 20, 2010 at 12:42 AM

bernzright777 on January 19, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Thank you bernzright777. That is the kindest thing anyone has said to me in a long time, and the highest compliment I could ever want.

And thanks to all the people in MA! Tomorrow, our peaceful revolution begins to restore our country to Traditional Regan American values!

margategop517 on January 20, 2010 at 12:46 AM

My question is: Should we stay relaxed? Are the adults still in charge?

johnnybgood on January 20, 2010 at 12:47 AM

I read a rumor that a Boston TV station reported that Deval Patrick will not seek reelection for Mass. Governor.

LINK HERE, see the comments section

commodore on January 20, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Your comments seem to be hung up around 12:03. What’s the scoop?

Intrepid on January 20, 2010 at 12:48 AM

this will further energize the people, many of the team party folks, who have seen the contribution that they can make, even if they can’t get to the venue. We can help select the candidates and then help them get elected.

GaltBlvnAtty on January 20, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Thanks, Obomba.

More campaigning, please.

hillbillyjim on January 20, 2010 at 12:50 AM

It would be nice to see Roland Burris lose 0bama’s former seat…

tehd on January 20, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Dopenstrange on January 19, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Thank you and God Bless you and America as well! Tomorrow, our non-violent revolution begins!

Two great things today! We got ourselves a new Governor in NJ and now Scott Brown. Pinch (not NYT’s Pinch) me to make sure this is not a dream!

margategop517 on January 20, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Does this make Obama a lame duck?

faraway on January 20, 2010 at 12:58 AM

HUMPBOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dIb on January 20, 2010 at 12:59 AM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HA server??

I missed everything!!!!

I don’t care if it has already been posted……….

FIRST shot across the bow of the socialist movement in these United States.

UNPRECEDENTED! HISTORIC!!

WE WIN!

Talon on January 20, 2010 at 1:03 AM

The levees have been overtopped and the flood has started. Brown started it, but he won’t be the end of it. You Blue Dogs better run for the hills or you will get swept away.

Conservatism on the rise!

Mallard T. Drake on January 20, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Hi, my name is David Gergen and I single handidly gave Brown the biggest boost his campaign had, just barely ahead of Obama stumping for him and mocking his truck.

TheAudacityofNOPE on January 20, 2010 at 1:16 AM

Everyone close your wallets and reload, ’cause we need to take out Boxer and some of the low-hanging fruit like Reid next.

JEM on January 20, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Mass voters turned him into a lame duck tonite, less than a year since he took office. Now its up to us to finish breaking him. for good.

elduende on January 20, 2010 at 1:23 AM

Thank you, Massachusetts. We can never repay you. Thank you Scott Brown and all who worked to make this great day happen.

Providence has smiled upon these United States once again!

Missy on January 20, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Ah, Hump-Bot…how I’ve missed you so.

Good times ahead, folks.

I’m putting a Webb Aisle Jump at 4-1.

Any takers?

SuperCool on January 20, 2010 at 1:38 AM

What NTWR said! Dkos called him the first teabagger Senator. They should have added, “…of many to come”!

elifino on January 20, 2010 at 1:44 AM

This comment I read at ABC News made me smile

There goes the world. Massachusetts voters will go down in history as ‘The Bomb’ that destroyed hope

El_Terrible on January 20, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Found link from twitter, seems appropriate.

“Christopher Walken Reads Lady Gaga Lyrics”

Every time I listen to Christopher Walken, I think about AllahPundit. I can’t help it, it’s that broken soundtrack sound that keeps playing in my ear whenever I read anything from AP.

Lourdes on January 20, 2010 at 1:59 AM

Related: I also just heard on Fox that Massachusetts went for Reagan on both elections. So the later story about MA having become “a Democrat state” is a myth, apparently, and I blame Kerry and Kennedy for that.

Lourdes on January 20, 2010 at 2:01 AM

Rest in Peace Mary Jo.

Fighton03 on January 19, 2010 at 11:20 PM

A long time coming.

Amen.

Roy Rogers on January 20, 2010 at 2:06 AM

Anyone else here?

Intrepid on January 20, 2010 at 2:08 AM

TheAlamos on January 20, 2010 at 12:10 AM

IowaWoman on January 20, 2010 at 2:11 AM

As Ann Coulter said-It’s like Ramadan in January. That or taking a virtual dump on the Swimmer’s grave.

Lou Budvis on January 20, 2010 at 2:12 AM

Money question:

On what axis is Ted Kennedy spinning, horizontal or vertical?

lpierson on January 20, 2010 at 2:13 AM

I was on a plane all day and found out when I got home the news. In my travels I talked to people from all over the country. They were tuned into this election. Tiny blue Massachusetts. These were random people and when they heard I was from Massachusetts brought the election up,always with hope in their eyes. It was amazing the support for Scott to win. People do not want Obamacare. They do not want him spending this country into oblivion and want the country back.

I am so grateful for this win. For the first time my one little vote meant something big. What an extraordinary day!

Miss Molly on January 20, 2010 at 2:29 AM

The Democrats had forgotten history because, after all, Boston was the site of the great Boston Tea Party, and once again the people have risen up in protest against those in power who would lord it over the common man.

Democrats sit, rapt in listening to their fevered dreams and misguided ambitions, secure that they know best by virtue of liberal-inundated education and political beliefs. They believe that we are the Great Unwashed, the masses of common citizens who, like children, they must make all the decisions for because it is ‘for our own good’

Those of us who resist, of course, they deem teabaggers, obstructionists, shortsighted, and the angry mob. They want to believe us to be the barbarians at the gates of their liberal socialist utopia – their paradise.

They also hold certain members of their own as if they are airstocracy – the Kennedy family – an idea which would have made the blood boil of our FOunding Fathers if they could see how they touted this Senatorial seat as the ‘Kennedy Seat.’

This was a fatal error in their campaign because it makes us all the more determined to finally end this notion of aristocracy.

Teddy Kennedy was one ofthe most liberal of all the Democrats, their lion, their king, their Kennedy nobility – he was the last of the fabled ‘Camelot’ era.

Now their nobleman Kennedy is dead.

And we ‘barbarians’ have torn down the gates of Camelot.

Thus is the future of the Democratic Party.

theflyonthewall on January 20, 2010 at 2:32 AM

Obama will be really radioactive for his allies campagins now.

theflyonthewall on January 20, 2010 at 2:39 AM

Had to work so I missed the party, but when I heard the news a few hours ago I knew AP would have the ‘bot ready to greet me when I got home.
This is great first step toward taking the country back to values of individual liberty and personal responsibility.

So how is Barry Obrawndo’s record looking?
0 for the olympics…
0 for Copenhagen…
0 for Massachusetts…
At least that speech in Cairo worked out for us, right?

Tom_OC on January 20, 2010 at 3:09 AM

Is that the robot that raped the child and Coakley refused to prosecute?

Or, is that the robot who had the sentence commuted by Huck?

Sapwolf on January 20, 2010 at 3:18 AM

I love Marcia’s line: “Sometimes it is better to travel hopefully than to arrive.” Ok, really now — what the f!#$ does that mean???

Dopenstrange on January 20, 2010 at 3:18 AM

Hey, checkout this VidSweet Youtube. A rip on the Motorola Droid add.

Sapwolf on January 20, 2010 at 3:19 AM

Dopenstrange on January 20, 2010 at 3:18 AM

Ignorance is bliss.

neurosculptor on January 20, 2010 at 3:22 AM

Money question:

On what axis is Ted Kennedy spinning, horizontal or vertical?

lpierson on January 20, 2010 at 2:13 AM

Horizontally. On a spit.

Dopenstrange on January 20, 2010 at 3:23 AM

Now their nobleman Kennedy is dead.

And we ‘barbarians’ have torn down the gates of Camelot.

Thus is the future of the Democratic Party.

theflyonthewall on January 20, 2010 at 2:32 AM

He is in HELL, based on his final letter to the Pope, assuming he wrote it.

Sapwolf on January 20, 2010 at 3:25 AM

Er … I meant that as the meaning of Marcia’s wistful musing.

neurosculptor on January 20, 2010 at 3:25 AM

Besides the voters themselves and Scott Brown, this victory can be attributed to one man: Mitt Romney.

Excerpt from Brown victory speech: I’m grateful to all those from across Massachusetts who came through for me even when I was a long shot. I especially thank a friend who was there with encouragement from the very beginning, and helped show us the way to victory – former Governor Mitt Romney.

Romney passed the Massachusetts health care that allowed Brown to say NO to nationalized health care.

Romney provided the staff and seed money to Brown from the very START. Brown would not have run otherwise.

Romney’s presence caused the idiot Democrat legislature to remove the ability of the Governor to appoint interim Senators in the case of a vacancy, which allowed Brown to run.

Thank you Mitt Romney!

scotash on January 20, 2010 at 3:26 AM

Er … I meant that as the meaning of Marcia’s wistful musing.

neurosculptor on January 20, 2010 at 3:25 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. I have to admit – I was kind of wondering if that was directed at me… :-)

Dopenstrange on January 20, 2010 at 3:29 AM

Dopenstrange on January 20, 2010 at 3:29 AM

The other possible meaning hadn’t struck me until after I read it again. A one minute edit feature would be so nice … But, I guess just having the site up is good enough. Heh.

neurosculptor on January 20, 2010 at 3:34 AM

Humpbot!

I mean Brown wins!

- The Cat

MirCat on January 20, 2010 at 3:47 AM

WE WON!

OmahaConservative on January 20, 2010 at 4:09 AM

I’m Scott Brown,

I’m from Wrentham,

I drive a truck, and I am nobody’s senator but yours.

Thank you very much.

OmahaConservative on January 20, 2010 at 4:10 AM

Scott Brown – Not Bush’s fault.

Well I love that dirty water !!!!!!!

Thank-You Massachusetts

StockOption on January 20, 2010 at 4:16 AM

Thank you Mitt Romney!

scotash on January 20, 2010 at 3:26 AM

Like Cavalry general Buford at Gettysburg, Sarah Palin’s ‘death panel’ FB was what held off the enemy giving the TPM and conservatives invaluable time to marshall forces to join battle with the Dems and Obamacare.

“Buford was the first to make contact with Lee’s army, and became the first hero of the battle. Knowing that Lee’s infantry would be coming on July 1, and having decided that Gettysburg was good defensive ground, Buford decided to resist the enemy as long as he could in order to give the rest of the Union army time to concentrate. His men used dragoon tactics–three-quarters of his troopers fighting in a heavy skirmish line while the remaining quarter held their horses–and held the advance of A.P. Hill’s infantrymen to a crawl until Maj. Gen. John Reynolds arrived with the advance units of his First Corps. When the infantry deployed, Buford’s men dropped off to their flanks to provide protection, while at the same time continuing to provide timely intelligence on the arrival of new Confederate units. It was an example of a consummate professional showing an eye for good ground, tactical sense, and tenacity at a moment of crisis. When the Federal infantry retreated to Cemetery Hill in the late afternoon, Buford helped deter a Confederate advance by taking a menacing position on the Union left, near the Emmitsburg Road.

The next morning, July 2, Buford’s men were the only cavalry on the field, patrolling a broad area around the Peach Orchard, performing the valuable duty of guarding the army’s left flank and reporting enemy movement. Pleasonton, however, withdrew Buford’s entire force to Westminster to refit in the army’s rear. Buford’s 2,600 troopers rode off the field in the late morning of July 2 with nobody to replace them–a fact that would have dire consequences for the Union left later that day. They would never reenter the battle.

A man that never quit driving himself, Buford contracted typhoid in the fall, and, exhausted, died in December.

Sapwolf on January 20, 2010 at 4:21 AM