Scarborough blasts Olbermann for smearing Brown

posted at 2:10 pm on January 19, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Reaction to Keith Olbermann’s special comment about Scott Brown calling him “homophobic” and “racist” on the basis of … well, nothing, brought a swift reaction from fellow MS-NBC host Joe Scarborough. Scarborough blasted Olbermann for his smear last night on Twitter, and then followed up this morning with a shot at him on Morning Joe. Mediaite’s Steve Krakauer has both videos:

This isn’t the first time Scarborough has essentially called out Olbermann, but on-air, it is never by name. His one reference on Morning Joe today to the Olbermann comment followed the same model. “A certain person on this network, whose name will not be mentioned, went on a tirade the likes of which are sad and pathetic,” he said.

But even on Twitter, the comment is out there, and the shot is direct. Is it MSNBC civil war? Not quite. But we’ll see if Olbermann has a response tonight – especially if the “bad joke” ends up winning.

As Steve mentions, Joe was more direct on Twitter:

Obermann calls Brown a “homophobic racist reactionary” who “supports violence against women.” How reckless and how sad.

It is no longer enough to simply disagree with someone. These days some feel the need to call opponents evil. It happens on both extremes.

Just as when Beck called the President racist, this sort of rhetorical extremism must be discouraged. It cheapens the debate.

What are the odds that Olby names himself the “Worst Person in the World” for his transgressions? I’d say a lot lower than “honoring” his fellow MS-NBC host. Kudos to Scarborough, though, for making the obvious plain on his network, which shows guts that others on that network apparently lack — including its management.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

ronnyraygun on January 19, 2010 at 3:24 PM

I’m with you. If only MSDNC was in 3D, it would make the head explosion so much more enjoyable!

milwife88 on January 19, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Yah, I’m torn by this. Whenever I see a steaming pile of dung on my hiking trail, I don’t want to call attention to it, but I don’t want anyone to step in it either.

John the Libertarian on January 19, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Why would Scott Brown call Olbermann a homophobe and a racist?

YYZ on January 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Beautiful display of fake outrage and ignorance. A colossal glittering jewel of ignorance.

daesleeper on January 19, 2010 at 3:35 PM

MassVictim on January 19, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Ever seen enything like this here, voters coming out en masse in MA?

BROWN WILL WIN GOING AWAY!

singer on January 19, 2010 at 3:37 PM

NBC drives me nuts. It is hard for me to believe that intellegent people watch that trash. I hope Comcast slashes and burns all those deadheads.

I can’t even watch football on NBC because of that moron.

saiga on January 19, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I can’t even watch football on NBC because of that moron.

saiga on January 19, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Me too. How can the NFL put up with that?

Christian Conservative on January 19, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I liked the ‘nice liberal comment’ … “they look normal”.

What the hell does a conservative look like? A person with horns and a tail?

These sorry bastards need to be turned out and ignored. After 2010, will MSNBC even be alive?

GarandFan on January 19, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Scarborough blasts Olbermann for smearing Brown

It’s a pity dueling has been outlawed.

ya2daup on January 19, 2010 at 3:47 PM

BROWN WILL WIN GOING AWAY!

singer on January 19, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I’ve been saying that exact phrase for two weeks.

MassVictim on January 19, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I’m tired of the equivalence crap. When does it happen on the other “extreme?” Examples? When Beck called Obama “racist” he cited statements and policies, and a specific pattern. And the “extreme” on the Left is now installed in the mainstream, where conservatives are basically censored.

rrpjr on January 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I’ve just about quit watching O’Reilly because he is the worst at doing this. Beck does it occasionally also. There is no comparison – not even close.

silvernana on January 19, 2010 at 3:57 PM

rrpjr on January 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Me, too. Joe S. rightfully condemns Crazy Keith for his libelous rant, and then cowardly dials it back with the equivalence crap, as you say. The libs, like Kerry, say the Brown campaign (and every other GOP campaign) is fostering violence, and then it’s ALWAYS the libs who turn violent. The libs call GOP candidates racist, and then it’s the libs talking about presidents with “light skin” and “no negro dialect.” The libs call conservatives “homophobes,” and then it’s the libs who adopt a homophobic slur to attack tea partiers — essentially saying, “Voting conservative? That’s so gay!”

If Joe S. has such a serious issue with Olbermann’s outburst, as he well should, have him take it upstairs to the bosses where it belongs. Olbermann should be fired. We know it. Joe Scarborough knows it. Why hasn’t he asked his bosses why they don’t know it?

Rational Thought on January 19, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I can’t even watch football on NBC because of that moron.

saiga on January 19, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Yep. I refuse to watch ANY football broadcast that Bathtub Boy is a part of.

BlueStateBilly on January 19, 2010 at 4:03 PM

I get my news about Olberman from Internet forums and blogs.

I don’t seek out the information. The information is incidental to my reading the blog, as occurred here on HotAir.

I have no interest in Olberman per se, so I don’t seek him out. Whenever I tried to watch Olberman in the recent past I had to leave MSNBC and do something else, like watch FOX News, or read a book, or home school our children, or kick box, or write a paper on Human Embryonic Development, or take a walk in the woods to the lake and look for Bald Eagles, Osprey, or other birds, or go swim laps at the local YMCA, or hug my wife, or play with our children … something fun, constructive, and enjoyable.

I am aware of Jane Maddow, Chris Matthews, and others at MSNBC. What a gang of haters, with their furrowed brows, always in a state of hostility and angst, hatred and elitist condescension, arrogance and fabrication, misinformation and disrespect.

Perhaps MSNBC can be referred to as “The Hatred Network.”

William2006 on January 19, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Is Scarborough looking for a job on Fox News Network?

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 19, 2010 at 4:25 PM

It’s a pity dueling has been outlawed.

ya2daup on January 19, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Dueling was conducted by gentlemen, with rules and honor; Honor being the entire purpose of the event.

These two hags? Well, you can still get a good drive-by shooting in LA. When the rats are killing each other, they aren’t bothering you. Leave’em be.

BobMbx on January 19, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Olbermann’s usual hyperventiliation about any Republican candidate sounds especially silly when Scott Brown ran such a positive race.

Speedwagon82 on January 19, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Speedwagon82 on January 19, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Speedwagon82,

Well said!

As I type this response-comment to you (and everyone else) I wonder, how painful it must be to live embracing such hatred, animosity, and malevolence as Olberman (and Maddow, and Matthews, and Garofolo, etc.) embrace so deeply.

William2006 on January 19, 2010 at 4:45 PM

BobMbx,

Regarding your comment above – on January 19, 2010 at 4:32 PM on to topic of dueling, I have wondered about the UFC style fights in regard to the likes of John F’in Kerry, Obama, and others.

They are arrogant, condescending bullies and liars, mean spirited and snobbish.

When I watched and listened to Hugo Chavez spewing his acid tongued diatribe demonizing the USA, again, I recalled that he is claimed to be a military officer and special forces, commando type guy. I wondered how he would fare in a no-holds barred hand-to-hand combat situation to the death, carried live throughout the world on television, the Internet, and in theaters, etc.

He is a big mouthed, arrogant, mean spirited, hate filled, dictatorial, fascist bully.

Watching him be reduced to a blubbering, crying baby begging and pleading for mercy from someone, even if it is me, beating him to a pulp before the entire world, humiliating him into submission, removing his masque of power in the process, could be a delight.

Seeing the same happen to Kerry, Pelosi, and the rest of the gang, in some form or another, would be wonderful also, for they have more arrogance oozing from every single pore than an entire stage full of Broadway or Hollywood stars!

William2006 on January 19, 2010 at 4:52 PM

MS-NBC doesn’t care what trash comes from Olberman’s big mouth, but ESPN should (and demand an apology!). Olberman crossed the line. Where are you, ESPN???

TN Mom on January 19, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Has anyone thought to ask Assclown Olby if he even knows what “homophobe” means?

pilamaye on January 19, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Lets see Joe. Do you now know why you would call yourself a Republican?

PappaMac on January 19, 2010 at 6:03 PM

actually watched PMSNBC tonight! Olby doubled down on his name calling adding the charge Sexist.

There was no joy in Muddville tonight! Madcow looked like she had just sucked a lemon. Olby was dour. Matthews was waxing poetic about the glory years when votes were more easily bought.

jpmn on January 19, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Come on Joe, you wouldn’t hesitate to use a clip of Beck saying something over the top. Olby, Schuster and Chrissy are over the top just as often and you can and should call them out too.

jpmn on January 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Peggy was up there keeping her silly little mouth shut along with the other weak-kneed Liberals. Peggy’s gone into the sink hole. Unbelievable she used to write for RR. But then again, it was the more touchy feely type speeches and reminiscing about JFK. I should have figured how she’d end up since she also wrote Bush Sr.’s famous “Read My Lips” speech and worked for “The Best Boss”–Dan Rather.

Sultry Beauty on January 20, 2010 at 1:56 AM