Politico: House Dems already starting to run from ObamaCare

posted at 10:28 pm on January 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

Abandon ship.

Democratic leaders and the White House insisted ahead of the vote they aren’t preparing to desert health care. They admit they’ll have to come up with a new strategy to win passage, but said they didn’t want to allow one Senate race to take them off-course on the president’s top legislative item for the year.

But several House members said Tuesday night that they had no interest in pursuing the most likely scenario for moving ahead with a bill — approving the already-passed Senate version of health reform in the House – and some said President Barack Obama should step back and start over.

In fact, early signs of split emerged as the polls closed in Massachusetts – between leaders like Majority Leader Steny Hoyer who said “the Senate bill is better than nothing,” and individual members who didn’t want to swallow the Senate’s version of health reform whole…

“If it comes down to that Senate bill or nothing, I think we are going to end with nothing because I don’t hear a lot of support on our side for that bill,” said Rep. Stephen Lynch (D-Mass.)

Remember, Lieberman and Bayh all but warned Obama earlier today to back off. About an hour ago, just as news of Brown’s victory broke, Jim Webb chimed in: “[I]t would only be fair and prudent that we suspend further votes on health care legislation until Senator-elect Brown is seated.” That wouldn’t solve the ping pong problem, but the more Senate centrists there are speaking out against the bill, the softer the House Blue Dog coalition will get. Every last member of the 60-vote coalition needs to be asked if they’d be willing to vote for Reid’s bill again in light of what happened in Massachusetts. I’d be awfully curious to see how close you get to 60 again. Or 50, for that matter.

Supposedly Jon Karl of ABC is being told by Dems that they don’t know what they’re going to do now. Exit question: What do Blue Dogs stand to gain by still voting yes? A promise from Obama that he’ll campaign for them? How did that work out in Virginia, New Jersey, and Massachusetts?

Update: If you’re wondering why you can’t comment, we’ve had to disable that feature for awhile due to the massive traffic load. If we turn it back on, the site goes down. Please be patient…

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

That on is, by far…
The best ABBA Waterloo
I have ever seen…

Haiku Guy on January 19, 2010 at 11:34 PM

And OmahaConservative?

Knucklehead on January 19, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Didn’t he mention something about a date with Helen Thomas if Scottie won?????

huskerdiva on January 19, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Scott Brown is a good start. DKos seems to think he is a Tea Party conservative.

Holger on January 19, 2010 at 11:37 PM

The worse part about the Waterloo video was that, after doing a bit of research, I realized that I was only 4 years old when the song was recorded—yet it still makes me feel old. :(

Great song, though.

FloatingRock on January 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM

A couple of graphs to help them understand what Obama coming to “help campaign” means:

UnderstandingisPower on January 19, 2010 at 11:40 PM

According to Juan Williams it’s full speed ahead. If he’s correct they are insane.

flyfisher on January 19, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Not insane. Revolutionary.

Glenn Beck pointed out this morning that if Scott Brown won, Obama’s response to the result would tell you a lot about Obama. A politician would take this as a cue to move back to the center (e.g. Clinton) while a revolutionary would take it as a sign to double down and push even harder. Watch for an answer in the next few days.

bofh on January 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM

It is really scary listening to the committed “progressives”. There was a “repeater” from CQ on Greta, he thinks that give their “principles” they’ll have to split the bill and go thru the Senate with the Tax and budget portion using the 51 vote route.

I think we are at a fork in the road…the Left vs. the rest of the US.

r keller on January 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM

What Scott Brown thinks about Sarah Palin.

That would earn him a “Palinbot” rating at HA

notropis on January 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM

AllahPundit, I hope you guys find a good video reprisal of lib-media disappointment at the election returns for us tomorrow.

FloatingRock on January 19, 2010 at 11:45 PM

I tuned in MSNBC for a heapin’ helpin’ of schadenfreude and Olbermann, Maddow, and Matthews were actually saying that Democrats should try to push an even MORE progressive health care bill through via reconciliation. They still don’t see the freight train bearing down on them.

rsrobinson on January 19, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Well, as AP pointed out, they might have a hard time getting to 50 votes now.

ddrintn on January 19, 2010 at 11:46 PM

One minor thing that I noticed was his use of the TelePrompTer during his speech. Please someone tell me he can speak off-the-cuff.

I loved the Frank Luntz group and the four Obama voters that are NOT happy with the Caliph. Bad news for Michelles husband.

But Barry doesn’t care.

God help the USA from a hacked off thug in the WH!!!!

PappyD61 on January 19, 2010 at 11:50 PM

After one year, the people saw that Obama’s hope and change were nothing but political rhetoric.

Worse than that – he brought Chicago politics to DC.

Of course I knew who he was last summer, so I wasn’t buying his rhetoric, but it provided the perfect rationale to vote for him: transparency and bipartisanship etc.

disa on January 19, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Scott Brown will roll into DC with the world’s largest humble-pie in the back of his pickup.

Maquis on January 19, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Glenn Beck said on his show today that tomorrow, no matter who won, the dems were going to start separating themselves from the progressives.

I love it.

Mirimichi on January 19, 2010 at 11:54 PM

I’ve took flack for it in the past….

ABBA rocks….

BigWyo on January 19, 2010 at 11:54 PM

rsrobinson on January 19, 2010 at 11:09 PM

And let’s hope they don’t—until it’s too late.

FloatingRock on January 20, 2010 at 12:00 AM

What Scott Brown thinks about Sarah Palin.

That would earn him a “Palinbot” rating at HA

notropis on January 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM

I’m really starting to like this guy…that was excellent…

BigWyo on January 20, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Prepare to be disappointed

Turd_King.

Did anyone get sick of that Bull$hit??

BigWyo on January 20, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Happy anniversary, Mr. President!

Slublog on January 19, 2010 at 10:33 PM

+Infinity

Lance Murdock on January 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

AND BEYOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freeus on January 20, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Great song, though.

FloatingRock on January 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM

And on the other hand, I was 17 – so I am old (but happy). The life lesson here is – enjoy wearing those hotpants while you can! I agree with you FR – it is a great song – especially now!

redwhiteblue on January 20, 2010 at 12:09 AM

I think the O will double down…hit the gas,..full speed ahead…

If that happens there will be an insurrection…kick the tires and light the fires baby!!!

PatriotRider on January 20, 2010 at 12:10 AM

I look forward to some in-depth team coverage of the developing “Progressive” – Moderate split in the Democratic Party. Will the AP assign 5 reporters, will we see a CNN/60 Minutes joint investigation? Hmmmm? (That last in Stewie’s voice).

motionview on January 20, 2010 at 12:18 AM

What Scott Brown thinks about Sarah Palin.

That would earn him a “Palinbot” rating at HA

notropis on January 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM
I’m really starting to like this guy…that was excellent…

BigWyo on January 20, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Me too. He recognized her hard work and that Todd and the family are behind her, supporting her work for our country and that Todd can take care of the kids! Imagine if that message had taken hold of the country instead of the all slime they threw at her.

But, tonight is a happy night. Thank you Mass. voters! Thank you Lord for opening another door for us to renewing our country. Help us work hard to undo the damage brought upon it by reckless policies and arrogant politicians so that we proudly leave it to our children an grandchildren.

journeyintothewhirlwind on January 20, 2010 at 12:21 AM

bofh on January 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM

This moron is going to take it down the revolutionary path instead of the politician path because he’s listening to Rahm.

Rahm is convinced that the reason the Dems lost in 1994 was that they didn’t actually pass any of the far-left stuff they proposed like nationalized health care, NOT that they were ignoring the will of the people saying “Hey, @$$hole$, you got elected by promising tax cuts instead of socialized medicine!”

teke184 on January 20, 2010 at 12:27 AM

WATERLOO

JIM DEMINT IS THE MAN WHO KNEW THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anti-Harkonnen Freedom Fighter on January 20, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Abandon ship.

Elections have consequences. The PEOPLE of Mass have voted a mandate to change Washington’s status quo! I suggest that the Dems grab a mop and clean out their ears and start listening to the PEOPLE! Stop the secret backroom deals: WE’re coming to Washington and HELL’s coming with US!

TN Mom on January 20, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Over at MSDNC, Maddow and Kos took this election outcome as a sign that Democrats must now pass HCR even if it means “reconciliation”

Let’s seeRepublican running as 41th vote against HCR in “bluest” state wins .. it’s a sign the “blue” team must pass HCR by all means necessary. Talk about dense. To call these people stupid would be an insult to stupid people.

Guess maybe I will get my wish to have the Democrats complete their “lemmings” death march as they kamikaze their way into the history books.

J_Crater on January 20, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Is it too much to hope that they could also cancel the rest of the Porkulus and end TARP????

PattyJ on January 20, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Prepare to be disappointed

Turd_King.

Did anyone get sick of that Bull$hit??

BigWyo on January 20, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Why would you get sick?

True_King on January 20, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Majority Leader Steny Hoyer who said “the Senate bill is better than nothing,”

Dynamic Democrat leadership. And BTW Stimpy, nothing would be better than the steaming piles cobbled together in both the House and the Senate.

Mallard T. Drake on January 20, 2010 at 1:20 AM

well if this doesn’t stop Obama I say take the congress in 2010 and impeach the marxist

unseen on January 20, 2010 at 1:21 AM

How about this one as a theme song for Ogabe and his true-blue Kool-Aid chuggers:

Fernando

Ogabe on January 20, 2010 at 1:34 AM

Yea. Never knew how much I loved that song. Or what it represents and all. But I don’t read none o’ that $#17- and I don’t plan on startin’ neither. I’m talkin’ about the movie.

ChipDWood on January 20, 2010 at 1:36 AM

“When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
Yogi Berra

Lummox on January 20, 2010 at 2:15 AM

Good news, but we can’t let up. Reid, Pelosi, Boxer, Frank, etc. must go. We cannot relax our guard and we cannot let Republicans back into power unless they have a plan AND a commitment to limited government, fiscal responsibility and even (GASP) the Constitution.

tballard on January 20, 2010 at 2:46 AM

Woo Hoo! A Republican won the seat that Senator Kennedy used to occupy! Wow!

Now if my Saints can win The Superbowl, then I’ll know that The Armageddon is coming. LOL! :) :) :)

Theophile on January 20, 2010 at 2:49 AM

I’d like to be a fly on the all in Rahm’s house right now. Or even the White House.

That would be mighty interesting.

jedijson on January 20, 2010 at 3:06 AM

Lame duck obama got a fork in him..

More ABBA , winner takes it all:

the_nile on January 20, 2010 at 4:35 AM

Just imagine what Pelosi’s going to look like this morning.

Mr. Arrogant on January 20, 2010 at 5:05 AM

Woo Hoo! A Republican won the seat that Senator Kennedy used to occupy! Wow!

Theophile on January 20, 2010 at 2:49 AM

Point 1 – Indeed. When it sunk in that Brown had really won and that horrible leftist tricks would not and could not steal this, I didn’t know whether to happy dance or cry (because of the HOPE I now felt)

Point 2 – Nay my friend….. don’t want to burst your bubble, but my beloved Blue Horse is going to win!!! Go Colts! :-)

ladyhawke53 on January 20, 2010 at 5:20 AM

As Winston Churchill said…

This is not the end. Nor is it the beginning of the end. But it is perhaps the end of the beginning.”

We have won a very important battle. But the evil that is liberalism/progressivism and latent fascism must be defeated at every turn. Yes let’s win the Congress and White House. But saving the republic begins with saving the school house.

WELL DONE MASSACHUSETTS!

J.J. Sefton on January 20, 2010 at 5:39 AM

When I realized that Congress ignores my screams and the politicians here in NYS ignore me I have one vote like everyone else. These votes are ammo for this year need I say Mass., Virginia, Jersey. The GOP better put people in the primaries this fall even though they hold the office. The revolution started last year, “Let’s roll”.

mixplix on January 20, 2010 at 6:00 AM

All those ABBA clips are making me feel very, very old. Damn.

UndertheBridge on January 20, 2010 at 6:09 AM

Democrats were THUNDERSTRUCK! Can you hear us now????

yoda on January 20, 2010 at 6:32 AM

The ‘Rat Firing Squad
Is drilling on the Green.
A Circle, of course…

Haiku Guy on January 20, 2010 at 7:10 AM

AP, thank you for that version of Waterloo. A good video covers a multitude of sins.

pugwriter on January 20, 2010 at 7:17 AM

The biggest problem I have with the Dem strategy of simply having the House adopt the Senate version is that when the Senate passed their version they admitted it wasn’t perfect but that the details would be worked out in committee. That appears the first and last time this administration ever considered subjecting Obamacare to normal legislative process. Even before the Congress reconvened, the Dems were skulking the halls and attempting ping pong legislation that would hide most of the details of healthcare until actually on the floor for a vote.

It is time to kill Obamacare. If healthcare reform is a pressing need (I have my doubts) let the administration start over with leadership from the President, a commitment to bipartisanship, and an end to exclusions for special interests and deals for individual lawmakers.

highhopes on January 20, 2010 at 7:18 AM

Abandon ship.

Speaker “Captain Queeg” Pelosi…..you’ll never be closer to enacting socialized medicine. The football is on the One yardline, and it’s first and goal, and you’re going to punt because some of the offensive lineman are feeling queasy? Go for it! Force it down our throats! Even though Americans will initally be very angry, they’ll get over it. In fact, you must pass the bill now to give the public more time for their anger to subside. Then, in time, Americans will come to love socialized medicine every bit as much as the people of Canada and Great Britain!

olesparkie on January 20, 2010 at 7:32 AM

ABBA was so talented that they could pull off “fading” the song out even when performing LIVE!

I can not see Obama moving to the center like he should, with the writing on the wall this clear. He is trained as a radical activist, and does not know how to do anything else. Obama should press for small issues and centrist, bipartisan legislation at this point if he wants to be re-elected, the kind of stuff that would not “fundamentally transform this nation,” and so watch for: regulating the internet, fairness doctrine, smear campaigns against FOX, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and anyone else who challenges the agenda, hate crime legislation and much, much, more.

You can take the radical out of Chicago, but you can’t take Chicago out of the radical.

Greek Fire on January 20, 2010 at 7:56 AM

What Scott Brown thinks about Sarah Palin.

That would earn him a “Palinbot” rating at HA

notropis on January 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Dude, it’s Palinista and yeah, he’s one of us.

Blacksmith8 on January 20, 2010 at 8:35 AM

unseen on January 20, 2010 at 1:21 AM

SHHHHHH. Stop reading the playbook out loud.

Blacksmith8 on January 20, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Let’s see … Republican running as 41th vote against HCR in “bluest” state wins .. it’s a sign the “blue” team must pass HCR by all means necessary. Talk about dense. To call these people stupid would be an insult to stupid people.

J_Crater on January 20, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Well, if they keep up this Washington Death March over the cliff, the Repubs/Indies will be running Washinton for the next 50 years! We have seen their ultimate agenda and IT SUCKS!

txdoc on January 20, 2010 at 8:40 AM

olesparkie on January 20, 2010 at 7:32 AM

Okay, how is it you recorded my dream?

Nance, the missing village idiot from Cali, I have just one thing to say: Bring it on!

FREEDOM!

Blacksmith8 on January 20, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Wonder how many dems are doing facepalms this morning after a night of pouring scotch. What a way to go. We will find out in the coming weeks if Juanito is correct. The real progressives will show us how deep and wide the radical stain runs. All the rest will show us their yellow stripes.

Kissmygrits on January 20, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Ok, I retract the Cone of Shame nomination. The cat tshirts and knee high boots are sufficient redemption.

ted c on January 20, 2010 at 8:49 AM

The bigger message ought to go to republicans – make no compromise, no sell out in the form of a mongrel, but fight this entire idea that government is the solution, when it is the problem.
There is, and never was, any healthcare crisis, any more than global warming and CO2 are killing us. Work on cutting taxes especially for the small businessman, and getting jobs. Seek energy independence by a dual program of drilling and inovating, ignoring the impulse to destroy our economy with greenjob think.Defend our nation and stop the idea that fanatics who seek the destruction of this nation and our way of life are mere criminals, rather than enemies.

Don L on January 20, 2010 at 8:57 AM

The Stonewall Jackson version of “Waterloo” is the best.
Listen here.

Cybergeezer on January 20, 2010 at 9:01 AM

I hear Brown’s forming a new party — the tailgate party.

Don L on January 20, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Rats deserting their ship; This is what it takes to get Dumocraps to listen to the people. They’ll only hold this attitude until they get their mojo back. Then you’ll see them being just as dictatorial as this time, maybe more.

Cybergeezer on January 20, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Running like cockroaches when the lights are turned on. LOL!

jistincase on January 20, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Dems running from Obamacare???…..Typhoid Barry…

PatriotRider on January 20, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Obama, Emanuel, Pelosi, and Reid are going to show “We the People” some genuine Chicago Politics now.
It’ll be their Jihad for the Party.

Cybergeezer on January 20, 2010 at 9:20 AM

“JIM DEMINT IS THE MAN WHO KNEW THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

I’ve said it before and I’m sure I’ll say it again, Jim DeMint for President!

ncjetsfan on January 20, 2010 at 9:24 AM

If the house dims have any hope of keeping their seat, they will drop Pelosi by the end of the month. Talk about a toxic asset!

Highplains on January 20, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Obooba will explain everything during his weekly press conference Q&A session.

Akzed on January 20, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Run, feeble statists, run!

Track-A-'Crat on January 20, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Obooba should put Hillary in charge of healthcare reform now.

Akzed on January 20, 2010 at 9:33 AM

For the first time in a long time I am really proud of my country.

bluegrass on January 20, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Its all been said…but the blond is hot!

bhawknine on January 20, 2010 at 9:41 AM

The Dems can run but they can,t hide.They and they alone own this bill even if it,s dies the Rep can say in the 2010 election.You can,t trust them because given the chance they will try to do it again.It,s in there DNA .

thmcbb on January 20, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I’m a New York Mets fan, but I LOOOOVE Massachusetts!

J.J. Sefton on January 20, 2010 at 10:01 AM

CAN YOU HEAR US N O W ??????????????

bluegrass on January 20, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Rasmussen poll today on health care back to 56% against 38% favor this ties the high back in nov.

thmcbb on January 20, 2010 at 10:05 AM

House Dems already starting to run from ObamaCare

They’ve been shying away from it for a while now or it’d already be law. What we’re seeing is the beginning of a stampede. Note to politicos everywhere “Don’t get in the way!”

Oldnuke on January 20, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Its all been said…but the blond is hot!

bhawknine on January 20, 2010 at 9:41 AM

So’s the brunette.

rbj on January 20, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I hope my Congressmen in ND jump ship on this.
What za perfect opportunity for them to save face from being the schmucks that they are.

Badger40 on January 20, 2010 at 10:10 AM

What are the repercussions?

Who in the White House will be retiring soon?
(Is Obama vulnerable to a Democratic challenger in 2012? Hillary, if you do good in Haiti, your chances look better…)

Will Pelosi and Reid be “asked” to step down as heads of the House and Senate?

Which Democrats will say they are not going to run for re-election in 2010? (Reid…)

Does Obama get a B+ on this?

albill on January 20, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Gotta love it!

ladyingray on January 20, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Hey Obozo – How is that cram down working out for you so far???

WATERLOO BABY!!!

highninside on January 20, 2010 at 10:19 AM

FNC: King Obama plans to go forward with his agenda as planned. Just as we knew this uber-arrogant super mess of a of a leader would try to do. He just refuses to realize A) This is not Chicago B) Our gov’t works FOR US. Somebody needs to school him AND QUICKLY or We the People will do it ourselves.

NightmareOnKStreet on January 20, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Personally, I consider the liberals in this country and particularly the man in the White House a greater danger to myself, my family and the country than ANY foreign threat including Islamic Terrorism.

My life is at greater risk from Obama than Osama.

He has already destroyed by personal economy. My lifestyle is 1/2 what it was 2 years ago. My life is in greater danger from his death panels, and my lifestyle is likely to plunge further with Obama in charge.

I wouldn’t go so far, yet, to say he is a greater danger then Hitler or Communism was, but he seems to want to get to that point pretty quickly.

And I haven’t missed the fact that he is choosing to ignore the ringing clarion bells of the VAST MAJORITY in this country.

It is absolutely clear he intends to push forward and sieze even more power. He is the most dangerous person to appear in many decades, not because he is sadistic like the dictators of the 30′s, but because he is a committed amoral idealogue who is serving himself and his masters, not the people of this country.

notagool on January 20, 2010 at 11:49 AM

***
Come on “democRATs” / liberals / socialists / statists / marxists / communists. Embrace Comrade Obama (PBUH) and his congressional / government ilk. Continue to vote in his agenda to change the U.S.A. into the new United Socialist States of Amerika.
***
Embrace the cross between the skunk and porcupine. And march over the cliff–like lemmings–in the 2010 and 2012 elections. Keep on doing the same things.
***
Make our day!
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on January 20, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Its all been said…but the blond is hot!

bhawknine on January 20, 2010 at 9:41 AM

So’s the brunette.

rbj on January 20, 2010 at 10:08 AM

You guys are fairly young I take it. That’s ABBA, they stopped performing in 1983. The Brunette, Frida, was born in 1945. The Blonde, Agnetha, was born in 1950. You’re right they’re both hot, but would be more appealing to someone my age I’d think.

Oldnuke on January 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM

massive traffic overload on Hot Air, huh? good times in America…

mperek on January 20, 2010 at 4:42 PM