Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on January 19, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Scott Brown has campaigned hard in Massachusetts by driving across the state repeatedly, meeting the voters and telling his story. He put over 200,000 miles on his truck, which he featured in an ad as a way of showing that he listened to the people he wants to represent. For some reason, this got under Barack Obama’s skin during his appearance on behalf of Martha Coakley on Sunday, as Jim Hoft notes at Gateway Pundit:

Forget the ads. Everybody can run slick ads. Forget the truck. [Laughter] Everybody can buy a truck.

Well, I know over 3.4 million people since Obama’s inauguration who can’t buy a truck any longer, or much of anything else. I’d bet many of them don’t find it a source of laughter, either. Scott Brown teed off on Obama on that same point yesterday:

Brown took that opportunity to slam the president on government spending..

“Mr. President, unfortunately in this economy, not everybody can buy a truck,” Brown said in a statement. “My goal is to change that by cutting spending, lowering taxes and letting people keep more of their own money.”

But the bigger Obamateurism comes from Obama’s dismissive attitude about the truck itself. Brown drives a GMC Canyon, made by General Motors — the very company Barack Obama bought on behalf of taxpayers in his bailout. Shouldn’t we expect some salesmanship from the guy who sunk our money into a losing enterprise like GM and transformed it into Government Motors?

Maybe Brown can explain that to Obama personally … when he takes Paul Kirk’s place in the Senate after today’s election.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

kelley in virginia on January 19, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Heh

OmahaConservative on January 19, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Silly Dems, Trucks are for Chicks.

–kelley in va!

ted c on January 19, 2010 at 8:58 AM

i thought everybody had a truck? (har! i live in the country!)

kelley in virginia on January 19, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Just about everybody I know owns a truck! The one I’m driving right now I bought in 2001. I plan on getting around to washing it this Summer…maybe. The last one I bought was in 1990. When I bought my ‘New’ one I gave the old one to my son…who drove it till it caught on fire and burned up…last year.

Oldnuke on January 19, 2010 at 8:58 AM

where’s my car or truck from the government

blatantblue on January 19, 2010 at 8:59 AM

This truck thing is just an extension of Obama`s rant about middle class, (white), Americans being bitter and clinging to their guns and religion.

Obama did not live or see the America most us grew up with. For a few of his early childhood years (when lots of memories are formed -Christmas, Halloween, school, family, birthday parties, sports, etc.) Obama was living in Indonesia attending a Muslim school living the Indonesian life.

Then later he went from big inner city to big inner city with no extended family that he was involved with (parents gone, no relatives he really knew or visited) and gravitated to be around left-wing, anti-American liberals.

To him trucks and middle-American stuff like that are the basis of stereotypes that he believes in.

albill on January 19, 2010 at 8:59 AM

“Also, Mr. Obama, in this economy, not everyone can run slick ads”=Scott Brown
crr6 on January 19, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Awwww, poor crr6 thinks its so unfair that the S.E.I.U.’s $70 mill in contributions to Obama and the Dems couldn’t buy Massachusetts. Indeed, here is Coakley’s last, desperate attempt to buy votes, promising to unionize Fed Ex.

Buy Danish on January 19, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Where is all those adoring fans that Obama had this time last year? Seems like his cult-like followers have gone to ground. A Brown victory tonight would be the perfect ending to this horrible year.

2010- America strikes back.

highhopes on January 19, 2010 at 8:40 AM

I vote for a combo celebration tonight if Brown wins: Humpbot and the America Rising video (thank you Omaha Conservative for posting that video multiple times too :)

journeyintothewhirlwind on January 19, 2010 at 9:01 AM

I noted this on another thread over the weekend but this truck business is just another example of how out of touch the president is. My son lived a year in MA, there are many many trucks with blades/plows on the front. With the amount of snow they get there is no way the local governments can clear all of the public and private roads and parking lots without the help of private owners. What a surprise that The Won doesn’t realize everyone doesn’t roll out of bed with their surroundings made perfect for them. Does this guy still wipe his own hindquarters? Please excuse graphic language.

Cindy Munford on January 19, 2010 at 9:01 AM

huskerdiva on January 19, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Today is going to be a exciting day. If you’ll notice, the only time our Trolls come out anymore is on Palin Threads , usually. However, since it appears that Brown might pull this off, you’ll see them popping their heads up from under their bridges from time to time, trying to ruin the day for Conservatives. They are a whiney, miserable bunch.

kingsjester on January 19, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Scott Brown has a public servant’s heart and a hero’s testicles. Independent, liberty-loving Americans are cheering you on to victory.

The bully in the WH needs to grow up.

onlineanalyst on January 19, 2010 at 9:01 AM

albill on January 19, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Well in that case I HOPE we can give him some CHANGE he can BELIEVE in!

Oldnuke on January 19, 2010 at 9:01 AM

My parents raised eight of us, and we were all hauled around in the back of old pickups without (GASP!) seatbelts or carseats.

OmahaConservative on January 19, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Add “truck drivers” to bitter clingers

ted c on January 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM

“Forget the truck.” [Laughter]

And, his Kool-Aid drinkin’ Idolitarians are just as pathetic as he is.

franksalterego on January 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM

BTW, we’re heading to the polls with the neighbors in tow. Total of 7 votes for Brown!

Light snow here in South Easton, MA.

BROWN WILL WIN! BROWN WILL WIN!

singer on January 19, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Bring it home! My brother in Franklin, Mass. has seven votes in his group too.

PatMac on January 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM

As I said yesterday, this may be the Obamateurism of his presidency.
I think it is like Howard Dean’s scream. Brown and that fantastic situation aside, “anyone can buy a truck” is offensive to me on such a basic level I can’t shake it. No, Mr Pres, very few people can buy a truck.

ORconservative on January 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM

ladyingray on January 19, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Thanks, m’lady. It’s going to be a fun day. I fully expect all the remaining Trolls around here to make a grinchy appearance.

kingsjester on January 19, 2010 at 9:04 AM

no one can buy a truck
or a jeep
or honda accord
or prius

blatantblue on January 19, 2010 at 9:05 AM

canopfor on January 19, 2010 at 8:28 AM
Bet that remark by Obama went over well with the Teamsters.

Wethal on January 19, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Wethal: No kidding,UPS Delivery,he can kiss those votes
bye bye!!:)

canopfor on January 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Cut to the President’s core defect: he lacks the discipline to regulate his destructive impulses, he appears unable to forgo or rise above the cheap shot. He takes that cheap shot any time he feels the impulse. Acted stupidly, etc.

jeff_from_mpls on January 19, 2010 at 8:28 AM

That’s pretty much it, although some would argue it is a symptom of a more general mediocrity, combined with monumental hubris. How can he expect to control government when he can’t even control his own tongue?

mr.blacksheep on January 19, 2010 at 9:07 AM

we all have a unicorn that sh!ts rainbows.

milwife88 on January 19, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Mistook mine, in the dark, for “government beef”. Tipped it over, field dressed it, and put it in the freezer.

Any idea where I can get another one. I miss the rainbow.

Yoop on January 19, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Liberals mindset,

only peasants,I mean bitter clinging peasants
drive trucks!!:)

canopfor on January 19, 2010 at 9:07 AM

idk about y’all
but trucks are freaking expensive

blatantblue on January 19, 2010 at 9:08 AM

canopfor on January 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM

O/T Will there be an online guest book for Sargeant Faught? I would love to send my condolences to the family.

Cindy Munford on January 19, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Oh, it is the truck!

The talented Sally Quinn mentioned the idea that Colonel Brown was a hunk. She was on The Factor last night.

(Sigh) Republicans always have meretricious reasons for success.

IlikedAUH2O on January 19, 2010 at 9:17 AM

canopfor on January 19, 2010 at 8:48 AM
————————————–
me thinks you speak truth….

huskerdiva on January 19, 2010 at 8:52 AM

huskerdiva:I’m working on it!!(I kid):)

canopfor on January 19, 2010 at 9:19 AM

John Fund is expecting a ‘clean’ race w/o voter fraud since they (ACORN) never dreamt they would be needed, and then it was too late to organize. Prayers ascending that he is right…

OmahaConservative on January 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Does the truck have the special amphibian (floating) package for Massachusetts politicians?

IlikedAUH2O on January 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM

canopfor on January 19, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Keep up the good work :-)

huskerdiva on January 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM

OmahaConservative on January 19, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Riding in the back of Dad’s pickup was the ultimate treat….I believe the entire floorboard was rusted out and he was still driving it…

huskerdiva on January 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM

huskerdiva on January 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM

We just reinforced the rust with plywood. Grew up with plenty of splinters in the cheeks.

OmahaConservative on January 19, 2010 at 9:30 AM

canopfor on January 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM
——————————-

Cindy Munford on January 19, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Cindy Munford: I’m still trying to find out,as soon as I
know,I will let you know,and thankyou Cindy.

canopfor on January 19, 2010 at 9:32 AM

canopfor on January 19, 2010 at 9:19 AM
——————————
Keep up the good work :-)

huskerdiva on January 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM

huskerdiva:)

canopfor on January 19, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I’d love to see a motorcade of trucks escorting Brown to DC tomorrow.

katy the mean old lady on January 19, 2010 at 9:39 AM

I’m already voting this OOTW and it’s only Tuesday.
What a low-functioning putz we have for president.

SKYFOX on January 19, 2010 at 9:40 AM

canopfor on January 19, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Thanks, considering some people in the world it could be problematic so I would understand if they didn’t.

Cindy Munford on January 19, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I’m already voting this OOTW and it’s only Tuesday.
What a low-functioning putz we have for president.

SKYFOX on January 19, 2010 at 9:40 AM

If Marcia loses you don’t think that Bury can top this? Totus will have something up his sleeve.

thomasaur on January 19, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Silly people. Elites don’t drive trucks.

n0doz on January 19, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Obama thinks trucks are just for stupid rednecks and other commoners.

la.rt.wngr on January 19, 2010 at 9:58 AM

What would BO say if Brown had a Bible on the dash and a gun in the back window.

la.rt.wngr on January 19, 2010 at 10:00 AM

All I can say is that like the other famous socialist scum who took over a country (Hitler), Obama is asleep at the switch. If Hitler had listened to competent advise, he would have achieved his 1000 year Reich. Obama’s amateurism assures a epic failure in achieving his goal of being the Messiah.

Now tell us there isn’t a God Allah.

csdeven on January 19, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Trucks are racist!

jukin on January 19, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Only racist, homophobe, knuckle-dragging, women hating, teabaggers clinging to their guns and bibles drive trucks. I just so happen to have 3 of them…all GM products.

Wyznowski on January 19, 2010 at 10:33 AM

OmahaConservative on January 19, 2010 at 9:01 AM

huskerdiva on January 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Dad put our legs thru the rusty bottom of his truck bed. We were the brakes. Ala the Flintstones. lol.

Sorry. I always laugh at my lame jokes.

As for Obama….he’s an insipid, spoiled, arrogant, dipstick, who probably doesn’t even know how to open the hood on a car.

capejasmine on January 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Wow, a 2010 GMC Canyon will set ya back around 30 G’s. Don’t think “everybody” could buy a truck. I know as I am on precipice of unemplyment, I sure couldn’t afford one.

jbh45 on January 19, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Can’t afford a truck but even if I could, I wouldn’t buy a “Government Motors” truck and support The One. He should work on doing his job instead of snubbing his nose to every American that voted for him. It must be nice to be so perfect, get paid to campaign for everything, and do nothing.

Conservican on January 19, 2010 at 12:17 PM

“Also, Mr. Obama, in this economy, not everyone can run slick ads”=Scott Brown

crr6 on January 19, 2010 at 8:26 AM

You ‘clever’ person, all Obama ever is is a “slick ad”

Schadenfreude on January 19, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Cavuto delivered a wonderful closing comment on this yesterday. Framed it as a worthy (?) encore to Obama’s “Damn arugula is expensive, isn’t it?” elitism.

I do believe Neil thinks Barry is out-of-touch with the average American. Here’s hoping the average Americans in MA send The Elitist a clear message today.

Meredith on January 19, 2010 at 1:02 PM

“There’s no reason why white guys who have a Confederate flag in the back of their pickup truck shouldn’t be walking side-by-side with blacks, because they don’t have health insurance, either.” — Howard Dean.

Freebies for everyone, even racist truck drivers, if you’ll just vote Democrat!

Meremortal on January 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Dear RNC -
Please save this clip for 2012. Horrifying and priceless at the same time!

redwhiteblue on January 20, 2010 at 12:31 AM