Jim DeMint: Of course I endorse Scott Brown!

posted at 5:36 pm on January 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Andrew Wilkow’s producer Nick Rizzuto. Er, wasn’t DeMint the guy who said last year that he’d rather have 30 principled conservatives in the Senate than a filibuster-proof majority riddled with RINOs (my paraphrase)? Is Scott Brown, who’s pro-choice and who voted for RomneyCare — which is so toxic to the base that it may end up destroying Mitt’s presidential bid — really a “principled conservative” in the DeMint mold? To put it another way, with DeMint on one end of the spectrum and McCain and Graham on the other, which end would Scotty B be closer to? Hmmm.

If he is a principled conservative, let’s keep it a secret for a few hours longer. Because Massachusetts voters seem to have a different idea:

A Scott Brown victory tonight will certainly be huge for Republicans- but will it be big for conservatives?

In the sense that it could kill health care and other major Democratic initiatives of course. But in the sense that Republicans are best off nominating far right candidates who the party base is completely comfortable with not so much.

Consider this: 41% of Massachusetts voters either think that Brown is a liberal or moderate and with them he holds a 79-18 lead. 59% think he’s a conservative and with them Martha Coakley has a 63-32 lead.

None of this is meant as criticism, mind you; I am, of course, famously a Chamberlain-esque RINO candy ass myself. But it seems we’ve moved pretty quickly from “no more moderates!” to “let’s agree on the big things.” It ain’t pure, but it sure will get you a lot more seats.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Heh. That’s funny that the press release Coakley’s campaign put out about voter fraud is dated yesterday.

Almost like they were planning it, or something.

BadgerHawk on January 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Knock it off AP!

*flashes the back-hand!*

abobo on January 19, 2010 at 6:06 PM

You’re gonna have to take a number and get in line, abobo!

HornetSting on January 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Read this, then tell me how I’m wrong.

spmat on January 19, 2010 at 6:02 PM

So you’re counting on voter fraud? Beautiful.

Esthier on January 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM

But then again, if he were available, we could always point to him as our guy and ask the Dems, “What would Jesus do?”

VoyskaPVO on January 19, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Fillibuster ObamaCare?

BadgerHawk on January 19, 2010 at 6:09 PM

lets get it right people

Rino means

republican IN NAME ONLY.

blatantblue on January 19, 2010 at 6:09 PM

I’m telling you people, capes are the answer…

If every Conservative would start wearing a cape, we would know each other on site!

Capes, people, CAPES!!!

Seven Percent Solution on January 19, 2010 at 6:10 PM

If Brown is elected and the people of Mass. don,t want him.I will swap my senator Lindsey Graham a real Rino for him.

thmcbb on January 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM

I would gladly give up Benedict Arlen sphincter D Pa for Scott brown…

SHARPTOOTH on January 19, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I think your wild-eyed optimism and fanboi slavishness is as childish as it is misplaced. Brown is a nascent Gang of 14 RINO. He’s also the only hope we have of forestalling SovietCare, if the Stalinists in the Democrat party don’t force their Great Leap Forward down our throats anyway and if they don’t cheat Brown out of a win that he rightfully deserves.

Oh, and get bent.

spmat on January 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM

What’s your point? Ron Paul, maybe?

fiatboomer on January 19, 2010 at 6:11 PM

This ultra-conservative-right-wing-Christian-pro-life-kook thinks this is great!

kirkill on January 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM

AP I’m about as conservative as they come. Fiscal Con, Small Government Con, National Defense Con and Social Con. I prefer that social issues remain in the realm of the state (10th amendment). If moderates and liberals want to push social issues at the national level then I’ll push right back against them. Brown has a plank that encompasses the first 3 above. That is conservative enough for me at a national level. If he begins pushing socially lib issues I’ll speak out but as long as he stays with the other issues he is no RINO or in my thoughts he is no DICC (democrat in conservative clothes).

The DICC’s of the Republican party have not held the line on fiscal or small government issues and they should be called on it. If they want to be spendthrifts and expand government then they don’t belong in the GOP.

chemman on January 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM

HornetSting on January 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM
I think your wild-eyed optimism and fanboi slavishness is as childish as it is misplaced. Brown is a nascent Gang of 14 RINO. He’s also the only hope we have of forestalling SovietCare, if the Stalinists in the Democrat party don’t force their Great Leap Forward down our throats anyway and blah blah blah blah blah blah………
if they don’t cheat Brown out of a win that he rightfully deserves.

Oh, and get bent.

spmat on January 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Get bent?
If I drink enough……

HornetSting on January 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Give it up, AP.

This is a special election, at a time when the Senate has a bill and the House has a bill, in Massachusetts, and for the seat once held by Kennedy the Liberal Lion…the Mascot for Government Run Health Care.

Demint said, specifically, a filibuster proof majority riddled with RINOs.

Just give it up.

Saltysam on January 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I think BBlue may have started the celebration just a little teeny bit early… :) You go Blue! (Just dont drive)

JusDreamin on January 19, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I second this. Exactly right. I don’t understand where the idea came from that a litmus test on a few social issues is the important thing.

I think we’re in danger of blurring the distinction between RINOs and moderate Republicans. They’re not the same thing.

A RINO is a hypocrite. (That’s one thing that perplexed me about our troll Proud RINO. How can someone be proud of being a hypocrite?) A RINO will say one thing and vote the other way. A RINO prefers to caucus with the Dems when they are in power. A RINO is a suck-up.

A principled, honest moderate Republican is IMHO the best we can hope for from MA, and I think Scott Brown is that. At least we will know where we stand with him, where we agree and where we disagree. That’s better by far than someone who will pretend to kiss our butts while studying our backbones to see which two vertebrae would be easiest to stick the dagger between.

Mary in LA on January 19, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Resolute on January 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM

When do the early results start before the polls close. 45 minutes? 30 minutes? News will come out before 8:00.

Oil Can on January 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I am, of course, famously a Chamberlain-esque RINO candy ass myself

Yes you are AP. Quit throwing cold water on this. Go do a Palin post or something.

davek70 on January 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Almost like they were planning it, or something.

BadgerHawk on January 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Hawk, yer jokin’, right?

JusDreamin on January 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Is Brown better than Coakley?

Juno77 on January 19, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Amen, brother. THAT’S the question. And yes he is.

By a mile.

nickj116 on January 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

chemman on January 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Bingo.

Saltysam on January 19, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Almost like they were planning it, or something.

BadgerHawk on January 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Hawk, yer jokin’, right?

JusDreamin on January 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Nope.

Coakley press release. Dated the 18th.

Coakley and Franken’s lawyer planned this.

tetriskid on January 19, 2010 at 6:19 PM

A candy ass is a little punk

A Rino is something i’d like to hunt

What is Chamberlain-esque?

SHARPTOOTH on January 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

You’re really grasping here. If we can STEAL a seat in a bastion of liberalism like Massachusetts and prevent the government take over of 1/6 of our economy then that is a no brainer for conservatives.

There is NO inconsistancy with DeMint here, he is a Common Sense Conservative. They actually do exist, it is not just a slogan. Guys like Brown in a place like Mass and Giuliani in a place like New York are more than welcome and not RINOs. Brown is embracing his role as the killer of Obamacare from Ted Kennedy’s seat…that takes stones.

Daemonocracy on January 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

davek70 on January 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM

AP, better yet, get to work on firing up that Humpbot!!!!!

huskerdiva on January 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

What’s the matter, Allah?

Run out of ‘Palin’s-a-loser’ loser material?

CPT. Charles on January 19, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Yeah, what’s up with this? Why take a swipe at DeMint who is willing to accept the “big tent” concept?

Too bad there were no Palin polls today. There’s nothing like beta males channeling their inner misogynist, is there?

Cody1991 on January 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Bwaaa! They can’t even cheat correctly.

Bishop on January 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Bwaaa! They can’t even cheat correctly.

Bishop on January 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM

That’s a good thing.

SHARPTOOTH on January 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM

You give me true conservative senators and congessmen in every red and purple state, and RINOs in every deep blue state, then I’ll worry about getting rid of the RINOs.

My problem is RINOs coming from red and purple states, and who lie to me about their conservative principles to get elected in the primaries.

TXUS on January 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM

SHARPTOOTH on January 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

A little clone wanna be of Neville “Peace in Our Times” Chamberlain.

chemman on January 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I’m telling you people, capes are the answer…

Capes, people, CAPES!!!

Seven Percent Solution on January 19, 2010 at 6:10 PM

You’re probably right. The wide utility belt look is already owned by Michelle Obama so we can’t go there. How about we compromise? I always liked the head gear the worn by the french foreign legion, you know the ones that had a small cape attached [sahara desert version]?

Americannodash on January 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM

JusDreamin on January 19, 2010 at 6:13 PM

No, that’s just our BB.

HornetSting on January 19, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Americannodash on January 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM

No, Horned Helmets, chain-mail, fur cloaks and battle-axes. Grow long beards and long hair. Not only would we identify other conservatives on site, we’d scare the bejebus out of the Proggies.

Holger on January 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Sorry Allah, but your example doesn’t work. McCain and his Mini-me can’t be on the opposite end of the spectrum from DeMint. Their on some sort of mavericky tangent.

Spider79 on January 19, 2010 at 6:30 PM

DeMint lost my respect when he voted for pork hound Rubio.

Squid Shark on January 19, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Sorry replace “voted for” with “endorsed”

Squid Shark on January 19, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Hopefully this will be plain enough for the simple-minded, like Allah:

South Carolina + Grahamnesty = Unacceptable
South Carolina + Brown (if Brown as liberal as some want to claim) = Unacceptable

Massachusetts + Grahamnesty = Acceptable (possibly more so, if Brown as liberal as some want to claim)
Massachusetts + Brown = Acceptable

Bottom line: Circumstances + Candidate = Acceptability

Really, it’s not such a hard concept to grasp. I don’t know why Allah can’t get his pea brain around it.

mwdiver on January 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Brown’s run represents the 41st vote against Obamacare, the Great Brown Hope. That is a laser focus; his other views we can worry about tomorrow. Other RINOs had better have a similar vow up their sleeve if they want to be elected in a general election.

PattyJ on January 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Allah, it’s either Coakley or Brown. Yes, he may be a RINO, but that’s better than another Marxist in the Senate. Considering it’s Massachusetts, we need to take what we can get. Other than Colin Powell, you won’t find many RINOs that spent 30 years in the military. At least we know that the guy understands discipline.

orlandocajun on January 19, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Brown is running as a Moderate Republican? I heard he is calling himself Independent :) Lots of Independents out voting today who are going to decide this race. I am an Independent, I am whole lot more Conservative than a lot of RINOS.

Down here in Texas the race for Governor is heating up there isn’t much of a choice on the Republican side Hutchinson or Perry. I wonder who is running on the Libertarian and or the Independent ticket? I won’t vote for Kay Bailey Hutchinson, that just ain’t gonna happen.

Dr Evil on January 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Oh, and get bent.

spmat on January 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Funny you should talk, considering the knees of your jeans are worn from being in one postition for so long…oh, and by the way–you have something on your chin….

Love the Gang of 14 reference, one would think that your google cut and paste skills would be better…..

lovingmyUSA on January 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Okay, okay, we get the RINO joke. Brown is hardly a conservative (he is a moderate), but he is a hell of a lot more conservative than Coakley. Hell yes we want him to win.

Mr. Joe on January 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Principle 1 is throwing the drooling fascist criminals out of office.

notagool on January 19, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I had been planning on sitting back until this was over but allah brought this up, so: The same people who had been foaming at the mouth to derail John McCain because he was a “RINO” and helped elect Obama have been pushing Scott Brown who is arguably left of McCain to stop the Obama agenda.

The same people (ie Malkin) who have been singing his praises because he can toss a monkey wrench in the works are a bit late to the realization that you can’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good non cataclysmic.

Had this been a year ago the brain trust would have been calling him a socialized medicine pushing, baby killing, meterosexual cosmo posing, masshole RINO. 12 months of unmitigated disaster seems to have gotten some minds right. Too bad that’s what it took.

Boxy_Brown on January 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM

There’s nothing wrong with having differences, the problem is the moderates in the party take those differences and beat the party over the head with them and make that their whole identity in order to be popular with the media. If Brown disagrees with the party on some issues, fine, as long as he doesn’t insist on making an ass out of himself like McCain, Voinovich, et al.

Jim-Rose on January 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Is Brown going to vote for ObamaCare, Cap and tax, Amnesty, huge stimulus bills, etc.? I don’t think so. He may be a social RINO, which is completey fine in MA. I agree with Michelle’s take on this whole Brown RINO thing.

deidre on January 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Mary in LA on January 19, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Resolute on January 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Thanks, Resolute! I will add that one of those social issues that divides our body politic — namely, abortion — is important, very important indeed. But even as a confirmed right-to-lifer, I can respect and support moderate Republicans like Mr. Brown and Rudy Giuliani because, even if they are pro-choice and I am pro-life, they have both made it plain that they believe their first duty is to uphold the laws of the land, whatever they are, regardless of their personal views. Rudy expressly said as much in the 2008 primary campaign. I don’t see either of them going along with “legislating by judiciary”, which has been the problem all along.

Many students of jurisprudence, even some who are personally pro-abortion, hold the opinion that Roe v. Wade was a terrible decision, arrived at very badly and sloppily by the Supreme Court. If we can change the law in accordance with Constitutional principles, I don’t see wy honest moderates such as Scott Brown seems to be would stand in the way. It’s possible we might even be able to change his opinion with reasonable arguments. And wouldn’t that be refreshing? :-)

Mary in LA on January 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I can spell “why”, I just can’t type it. :-P

Mary in LA on January 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Bottom line: Circumstances + Candidate = Acceptability

mwdiver on January 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Exactly and it really shouldn’t be that hard to understand. What other choice is there?

njpat on January 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM

RINOs are great if they come from blue and purple states or districts. In fact, they’re essential to building a large enough majority to get stuff done.

It’s only when they come from red parts of the country and start shaping the larger party policy (or providing the Dems cover for theirs) that there’s any issues at all.

BadgerHawk on January 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Yes. A thousand times yes.

gwelf on January 19, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Is it throw conservatives under the bus day here?

njpat on January 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM

AP, I think we can all agree on what planks really matter; small government and lower taxes.

liquidflorian on January 19, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Holger on January 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Not that my ancestors wouldn’t mind a few extra modern day posers, but C4P already does the ordinary barbarians thing.

Blacksmith8 on January 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Is it throw conservatives under the bus day here?

njpat on January 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Yeah, man, its Allahpundit.

liquidflorian on January 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM

DeMint is doing what it takes, wouldn’t you?

froginthesky on January 19, 2010 at 7:01 PM

You need to stop dwelling on your Chamberlain-esque RINO candy a** status, AP. Just let it go. We’ve got a nice big tent here at HA. :-)

KS Rex on January 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM

All three panelists on FOX said Scott Brown wins Krauthammer was least enthusiastic he said he will go with his heart the other two flatout Brown.

dhunter on January 19, 2010 at 7:03 PM

It is Mass. I think it was Buckley who said that the idea was to elect the most conservative candidate who was electable. Brown is a vote against cap and trade and Obamacare and that is nothing to sneeze at.

Terrye on January 19, 2010 at 7:03 PM

dhunter on January 19, 2010 at 7:03 PM

I wonder if they have information we don’t have. I hope so. I hope Brown wins.

Terrye on January 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Down here in Texas the race for Governor is heating up there isn’t much of a choice on the Republican side Hutchinson or Perry. I wonder who is running on the Libertarian and or the Independent ticket? I won’t vote for Kay BAILOUT Hutchinson, that just ain’t gonna happen.

Dr Evil on January 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Her name is Debra Medina and she comes highly recommended.

Blacksmith8 on January 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

DeMint is doing what it takes, wouldn’t you?

froginthesky on January 19, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Conservatives like DeMint will work with RINOs. RINOs, on the other hand, behave like liberal Dems. They treat everyone as they treat Palin. Their “tent” isn’t big enough for non-elites – especially women.

Cody1991 on January 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM

RINOs Moderate Republicans are great if they come from blue and purple states or districts. In fact, they’re essential to building a large enough majority to get stuff done.

BadgerHawk on January 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM

FIFY. Moderate Republicans are great under exactly the circumstances you describe. RINOS are never great. :-)

Mary in LA on January 19, 2010 at 7:08 PM

I wonder if they have information we don’t have. I hope so. I hope Brown wins.

Terrye on January 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Me too but it was just a prediction the guy said Brown by 6 I think the gal said Brown by less than 5 and Krauthammer was reluctant but said he would go with his heart Brown.

No indication they know anything. I take the looks and sounds of the Dems as more concrete evidence that Coakley is toast.

dhunter on January 19, 2010 at 7:09 PM

LIVE ELECTION RESULTS & CHAT: Scott Brown vs Martha Coakley: http://mittromneycentral.com/2010/01/19/live-election-results-chat-scott-brown-vs-martha-coakley/

dnlchisholm on January 19, 2010 at 7:21 PM

LOL, weak post. As others have commented, Brown does not appear to be anything like a RINO. Brown appears conservative on fiscal policies, taxes, government power and defense; while moderate on social issues. RINO’s are conservative on nothing.

ray on January 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Thank God there’s no Hoffman in the race.

mike_NC9 on January 19, 2010 at 8:03 PM

RINO’s are conservative on nothing.

ray on January 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I think you miss the entire point. RINO stands for Rino In Name Only now and the political reality is that all politics is local. We need to tread lightly when it comes to nationalizing all political races because Americans by nature are stubborn and don’t like being told what to believe and who to vote for.

mike_NC9 on January 19, 2010 at 8:10 PM

One more South Carolinian who would trade Graham for Brown.

tmitsss on January 19, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Being a resident of Columbus, OH I remember people always saying they would rather the OSU Buckeyes go 1-10 but beat Michigan than 10-1 and lose to Michigan as the Buckeyes seemed to do most years. Then OSU went like 4-7 but beat Michigan, do you think fans were happy? (HINT: They were not)

Moral of the story, reality changes things.

jarodea on January 19, 2010 at 8:18 PM

njpat on January 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Since you’ll settle for Brown because its too late to do any better than a liberal Republican, why not imagine it’s too late to do any better than Romney for 2012?

Does it make sense now?

Chris_Balsz on January 19, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I don’t understand this posting by allah.

DeMint said he wanted PRINCIPLED CONSERVATIVES in the Senate with him.

Is Allah saying that Scott Brown IS NOT a Principled Conservative?

Scott Brown = Olympia Snowe, Arlen Spector, Susan Collins???

Is this what Allah is saying?

HondaV65 on January 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

So you’re counting on voter fraud? Beautiful.

Esthier on January 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM

From the dimocraps, absolutely.

Slowburn on January 19, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Moot point. Brown won’t win.

spmat on January 19, 2010 at 5:46 PM

A “Dewey” moment if there ever was one.

TQM38a on January 19, 2010 at 11:09 PM

HondaV65 on January 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

From what I have gathered from reading the comments and the article, it is assumed that because he is in Mass., Brown is a liberal/RINO Republican. The onyl thing I can see that this opinion is based on is his stance on abortion, for it, and RomneyCare, voted for it. The key that seems to be missed here is, does he believe it is the Fed’s role to get involved in health care? I heard him state in one speech that he felt it was not the Fed’s role to get involved in health care, that it was a state’s decision. That tells me he has some knowledge of the 10th Amendment, and that is VERY important.

TQM38a on January 19, 2010 at 11:13 PM

It’s official.

Scott Brown is America’s favorite Rino.

Cool. A purple Rino?

Tonight, I will not badmouth McCain. Can’t make the promise by dawn though.

Sapwolf on January 19, 2010 at 11:25 PM

I don’t understand this posting by allah.

DeMint said he wanted PRINCIPLED CONSERVATIVES in the Senate with him.

Is Allah saying that Scott Brown IS NOT a Principled Conservative?

Scott Brown = Olympia Snowe, Arlen Spector, Susan Collins???

Is this what Allah is saying?

HondaV65 on January 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Scott brown is not a wingnut loon, he’s a Moderate Republican and I am glad he won.

AprilOrit on January 20, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Scott Brown is America’s favorite Rino.

Cool. A purple Rino?

Tonight, I will not badmouth McCain. Can’t make the promise by dawn though.

Sapwolf on January 19, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Nope, Sap. He’s not a RINO. He’s a Republican who acknowledged his wrong participation in voting for RomneyCare.

He’s an Independent Republican.

TheAlamos on January 20, 2010 at 1:04 AM

He’s an Independent Republican.

TheAlamos on January 20, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Plus,

RomneyCare is not his fault. It was Romney who was leading the Republicans in MA at that time. Plus, any politician at that time who would go against the Establishment would be ostracized.

Romney’s gone. Brown has a fresh record to start with.

I just hope Brown will remember that it’s the people who REALLY helped him during those days when “hope” seemed so low.

TheAlamos on January 20, 2010 at 1:08 AM

I totally disagree with the Establishment pundits.

Brown’s win means only one thing:

Anti-Establishment and Anti-Status-Quo and Anti Business As Usual is the KEY TO SUCCESS.

It works for any candidates:

VA: Conservative won. Deeds was seen as the Establishment candidate.

NJ: Moderate-to-liberal won against establishment: Corzine.

MA: Independent Republican won against Obama/Dem pick Coakley.

NY23: Hoffman almost won. But the Democratic winner also used “anti-establishment” theme in his campaign.

and…. let’s not forget:

2008 Election: The incumbent/establishment ticket was Republican (i.e. McCain/Palin). Obama won by the platform of Hope and Change.

Sadly for Obama, HE’S NOW THE HEAD OF THE ESTABLISHMENT OF STATUS-QUO.

There’s always a “Winner’s Curse” in Politics.

It’s a lesson that many politicians have forgotten. Elected Politicians should always be “cautious”. They are just “tenants”.

TheAlamos on January 20, 2010 at 1:32 AM

It’s freaking a Senate seat held by the Kennedy’s for decades! Be realistic. No one but no one expected this to EVER go red. And he’s a freaking pol. What’s he suppose to say about a new colleague who just pulled out a Hail Mary? Does it mean where driving Brown to be the next John McCain. John McCain and Meghan may think so but I think the GOP as a whole will be happy if he simply stays in MA keeping the peace along with Mitt. We already expressed that view to Mitt is you remember–primaries ring a bell?

Sultry Beauty on January 20, 2010 at 3:35 AM

I have a message from Jim Demint dated January 12th that says he does NOT endorse Scott Brown but asking people to send money to Scott Brown’s campaign in order to defeat Obamacare.

No more money to PACs!!! From now on, support candidates directly no matter where they are. Sending money to a local candidate who is already a sure winner will not help take back congress.

LonelyMassRepublican on January 20, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Brown is definitely a small government, state’s rights conservative. He’s aggressively against the Obama/Holder Justice for Terrorists policy. His economics are clearly conservative and pro-business. To me that’s close enough to pass the Reagan test.

As for abortion; I believe he’s against Roe v. Wade but pro-choice in Massachusetts. I’m pro-life but his is a fair decision based on the law as it stood before the corruption of Roe v. Wade. Once R v. W is overturned the abortion law reverts to the states as it should be.

RINOs like Snow and Voinovich are totally willing to extend more and more power and money to the Federal government. They continually bargain away individual liberty for their own job security. I don’t consider Brown a RINO.

Nor AP for that matter. A Candy Ass, yes, but a RINO, no.

rcl on January 20, 2010 at 8:02 AM

AP, you’re assuming that us True Conservatives view this as a V-I-C-T-O-R-Y for Conservatism, when in fact I see this as simply a resounding vote against Obama and his efforts to implement Statist ideals.

The problem with these kinds of “victories” is that similar Statist notions desired by the same electorate will push Brown to vote against his party’s platform.

It just means that people like voters in MA do not vote according to convictions, whether Conservative or Liberal, but instead with the populist sentiment at the time. In Fairfax County, for example, during the Gubernatorial election last fall, the same people who voted against more taxes at the state level (by electing McDonnell) then voted for HIGHER taxes at the county level (by passing a school bond referendum that will NOT benefit the schools, but the administrators).

Explain these people to me, please, that convinces me my opinions expressed in this post are wrong. PLEASE.

I actually respect certain Liberals, because at least they have convictions, unlike so-called “Independents,” who love to tout their intelligence and objectivity, but actually just fall for the same populist crap over and over.

Miss_Anthrope on January 20, 2010 at 9:37 AM

For me, the most important word is “principled”.

I’d rather have a principled moderate like Scott Brown than an unprincipled conservative like Trent Lott.

sandberg on January 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I don’t know enough about Brown to evaluate his qualification for “principled”, but I’m definitely with you on preferring “principled” to “conservative”.

Count to 10 on January 20, 2010 at 9:44 AM

I’m definitely with you on preferring “principled” to “conservative”.

Count to 10 on January 20, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Principled is a good way to put it.

Regardless affiliation if the legislator honors his oath and represents his “people” then the rest will work out. Putting in self-serving crooks and liars like we have now defeats the whole purpose of having a “democracy”.

rcl on January 20, 2010 at 11:34 AM

De Mint for President!

Watch out Romney fans! De Mint is now at the top of his game as GOP 2012 dark horse.

TheAlamos on January 20, 2010 at 5:08 PM