Suffolk’s bellwether areas showing double-digit lead for Brown on final day

posted at 2:10 pm on January 18, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Suffolk’s poll on Thursday was the first major poll to show Scott Brown with a significant lead against Martha Coakley.  At the time, Suffolk gave Brown a four-point edge with just five days to go.  Today, Suffolk surveyed what it calls “bellwether” counties — areas which reflect the state as a whole best — and finds that three of them show Brown up by double digits.  Ben Smith quotes the release at Politico:

The bellwether polling, conducted Saturday, Jan. 16, and Sunday, Jan. 17, shows:

• Brown (55 percent) leads Coakley (40 percent) by 15 points in Gardner. Independent candidate Joseph L. Kennedy polls 2 percent, while 3 percent are undecided.
• In Fitchburg, Brown (55 percent) has a 14-point lead over Coakley (41 percent), with 2 percent for Kennedy and 2 percent undecided.
• Peabody voters give Brown (57 percent), a 17-point lead over Coakley (40 percent), with Kennedy polling 1 percent and 3 percent undecided.

Peabody is an interesting case.  It is in the MA-06 CD, which elected Rep. John Tierney (D) in six straight elections.  He usually gets 2-1 landslides for re-election in this district.  Fitchburg is in MA-01, represented for almost 20 years by John Olver (D), who usually wins by 3-1 margins — when he’s opposed at all.  Gardner also falls in MA-01.

These districts usually give big turnouts to Democrats.  If I were Tierney and Olver, I’d start updating my retirement plans.

Comments

This is going to be hard for Allah to tamp down. I don’t see how he can continue to be pessimistic about THIS race after all of this.

MobileVideoEngineer on January 18, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Hah! I was just browsing the site if Allah updated his pessimism meter.

MSNBC’s ratings will be sky high tomorrow for the shadenfreud.

jhffmn on January 18, 2010 at 2:57 PM

LISTEN! Can you haer that? That’s the sound of Teddy rolling over (and over) in his grave.

angus mcbeemer on January 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM

He might just be out of ice.

Chuck Schick on January 18, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I’m starting to feel all ‘wee-weed up’….. I mean, ‘all fired up’…

Is it too early to call her Marsha (lol) Croakley? Reminds me of Glenn’s frog. And I feel just fine.

Come on, MA, We the People are counting on you!

Opinionator on January 18, 2010 at 3:01 PM

This will get you fired up!

silvernana on January 18, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Just in…http://www.youtube.com/scottbrownma#p/a/u/0/CCcxxnBNwUM

WOW!! I don’t care anymore about hexes, omens, or anything else that could *possibly* go wrong! I’d rather the polls say 10 up than 2 down!!! :-)

DanaSmiles on January 18, 2010 at 3:06 PM

DanaSmiles on January 18, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Thanks, silvernana! (Might you be nynana from a now infamous blog?)

If there’s a party tomorrow night, count on me to bring the lobster and chowder, pop some corn… Heck, I’ll even be your DD. Wait, I went too far. Scratch that last part.

Opinionator on January 18, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Thanks, silvernana! (Might you be nynana from a now infamous blog?)
Opinionator on January 18, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Sorry, that wouldn’t be me.

silvernana on January 18, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Oblama tried to slam Brown and his truck, to which…

Later Scott Brown responded to the president’s attack.
FOX News reported:

Brown took that opportunity to slam the president on government spending..

“Mr. President, unfortunately in this economy, not everybody can buy a truck,” Brown said in a statement. “My goal is to change that by cutting spending, lowering taxes and letting people keep more of their own money.”

MechEng5by5 on January 18, 2010 at 3:18 PM

It’s ok, silvernana. Clearly you’re a wonderful nana, too.

Opinionator on January 18, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Sorry if this is a repeat:

Coakley turns the MLK breakfast into a campaign stop.

Coakley, in her remarks at the breakfast, linked her candidacy to the legacy of King and Edward M. Kennedy. “If you send me to the Senate, I will be guided by those values,” she said. “It’s not about me anymore. It never was. It’s what Martin Luther King stood for. It’s what Ted Kennedy stood for.”

She said King would have been on the “front lines” fighting for health care “not as a privilege but as a right, as Senator Kennedy often said.”

And in a veiled criticism of Brown, Coakley said she understood that “people are frustrated and angry,” but said there were no “easy answer to the tough questions.”

Brown did not speak from the dais. When not circulating in the room between speakers, he sat near the back, at Table 85. He was a guest of Jane C. Edmonds, a former chair of the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, who called herself ”a Brown Democrat.”

Brown stuck around for a talk by Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino in which he urged the crowd to vote Tuesday to continue Obama’s agenda. Brown left, followed by a horde of TV cameras, before King’s son, Martin Luther King III, told the crowd to do the same thing. “The eyes of the nation are watching Massachusetts,” King said.

After leaving the breakfast, Brown blasted Coakley for using her appearance for “politicking.”

“I didn’t realize that this was a rally for Martha. And I thought it was inappropriate that she started asking for votes,” Brown told reporters, according to State House News Service.

fred5678 on January 18, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Rassmussen is up, but working weirdly… Health Care support is down to 38…

I can’t wait until returns come in towmorrow… woo hoo… American Idol and election returns on the same night.. Life is good.

kringeesmom on January 18, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I guess the polls confirm Stacy’s bylines this week from Fitchburg. We saw it happening firsthand.

It’s odd blogging with a nationally known blogger asleep on the couch behind you.

petertheslow on January 18, 2010 at 3:52 PM

I’m this close to buying some Sam Adams for the celebration tomorrow night, but I’m pretty superstitious and I don’t want to jinx it. I’m not in Barney Frank’s district (thankfully), but I’m pretty sure they will go for Coakley – they (Newton, Brookline) are hopelessly left-wing.

4Freedom on January 18, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Pud (Patrick) Kennedy repeatedly referred to Martha as Marcia during his endorsement of her.

OmahaConservative on January 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Gotcha. I finally caught on to what Coakley’s Fenway Park reference was about yesterday when I watched some of the Brown campaign’s videos – I had forgotten about the NHL Winter Classic game held there on New Year’s Day.

ya2daup on January 18, 2010 at 4:32 PM

petertheslow on January 18, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Do nationally known bloggers have an aura, or has The Won cleaned out the supply of them?

ya2daup on January 18, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Urgent Romney E-Mail – Help Scott Brown Counter the Machine: http://mittromneycentral.com/2010/01/17/urgent-romney-email-help-scott-brown-counter-the-machine/

dnlchisholm on January 18, 2010 at 7:31 PM