Video: Hecklers interrupt Obama’s speech for Coakley

posted at 5:22 pm on January 17, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Mediaite’s Joe Coscarelli captures this rather lengthy moment at Barack Obama’s appearance for Martha Coakley today. The big news here isn’t so much that a heckler appeared at a Coakley rally — with passions this high, it would have been news if one hadn’t — but that a series of hecklers threw Obama so far off his stride. It didn’t matter to the people who attended this rally, of course, but it’s a bit strange to see an experienced politician allow a couple of loud voices to interrupt for as long as this goes … and then to ask “Where were we?”

How long before Democrats start painting this as “thug tactics?” Or have they already? At least no one tackled any reporters.

Update: Via Noel Sheppard at Newsbusters, MS-NBC shot video of the protesters themselves:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

“Marcia, Marcia, Marcia…”
ROFLMAO!

Roy Rogers on January 18, 2010 at 8:27 AM

No! you are not doing fine.

Again, if Demoncrates cannot secure their own speeches, how do they expect to secure U.S.. They don’t. Their stated desire is to tell U.S. what they think we want to hear and tear the Nation apart from within.

MSGTAS on January 18, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Not a fan of heckling like this; unnecessary and impolite (and I don’t care if the other side does it). We need to be better than this. I don’t mind counter-protesting (and I have done it myself; MANY times). But it can be done with manners, ans should be.

michaelo on January 17, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Time for that has long since past, we are in a war for the survival of our nation. The sooner you realize it the clearer things will be to you.

Viper1 on January 18, 2010 at 8:36 AM

When referring to a “Don’t Tread on me” flag, an Obama supporter stated;
“That’s a Confederate Flag” said one African American woman observing the coiled snake on the yellow field. It took the word of several people around her to convince her that the flag was in fact the Gadsden Flag from the American Revolution (an odd thing to miss in Boston).

Jason58 on January 18, 2010 at 8:38 AM

PLEASE SEND $$$$$$$$$$$$ TO SCOTT

OmahaConservative on January 18, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Have the hecklers been hospitalized yet after being escorted from the venue by SEIU thugs, er, “members”?

olesparkie on January 18, 2010 at 8:46 AM

We have to rattle Obama. Inside is an insecure kid raised with abandonment and love issues. The guy is a narcissist. Heckling is just one way to expose him. Malignant Narcissists get enraged when they are ridiculed or when people simply don’t love them. Its like an addict deprived of their drug.

The other way is robbing him of his base. We do that by demoralizing the Fanatics, eeyoring them, trolling them and getting Opposition candidates elected into offices. The support and adulation is necessary to his ego and when deprived of it he will lash out.

Holger on January 17, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I like the cut of your jib, sir!

BlueStateBilly on January 18, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Are you so cool Barry that you could not put on a Tie?

poppieseeds on January 18, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Were those SEIU members escorting that man out of there?

theRealMcCoy on January 18, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Anybody that doesn’t get riled up and speak out at these commies that intend to torture the citizens of the United States with taxation and domination, fully deserves what they get.

Cybergeezer on January 18, 2010 at 9:14 AM

wel; since the adoring ‘crowds’ were bused from town to town in oh so many of his appearances in the Dem primaries it IS unusual for HIM to have a heckler

ginaswo on January 18, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Thank God they had “Marcia’s” name spelled correctly on the teleprompter!

olesparkie on January 18, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Healing takes time.

AshleyTKing on January 18, 2010 at 2:17 AM

I agree.
I think we should give the progressive tards sufficient time to apologize after we take care of the important business of fumigating the NeoMarxists from any position of power.

Itchee Dryback on January 18, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Has anyone found any information on the second Heckler? Watching this live yesterday on FOX they showed a quick clip of a small boy being escorted out. The second Heckler in the above video sounds like a small child. Obama being shouted down by a small boy would make for a good GOP campaign video.

ronnyraygun on January 18, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Heckling is wrong, and a poor strategy. It’s important to make the debate on the issues. Besides, scenes like this can easily be edited to make our side look bad. So it’s rude, doesn’t deliver our message, and is potentially a gift to the enemy.

hawksruleva on January 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM

hawksruleva on January 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I’m not seeing it that way. Too many people have been sanitized.

Are you the person who wouldn’t say anything if someone cut you in line somewhere?

Are you the person who steams but never opens your mouth when you’ve been wronged?

That’s what we’ve become?

uknowmorethanme on January 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Are you so cool Barry that you could not put on a Tie?

poppieseeds on January 18, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Ties are a Western Construct of the Eurochristian hegemony.

bikermailman on January 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM

michaelo on January 17, 2010 at 8:41 PM

If you had been present at the constitutional convention, would we even have had a bill of rights? It’s just so rude to believe in freedom of speech or the right to bear arms. And God forbid we should be protected from self-incrimination or unreasonable searches.

SKYFOX on January 18, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Not a big fan of heckling either but when it’s the libs guy who gets it, it’s entertaining to watch them struggle to raise that bar.

TimBuk3 on January 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I also have to ask, why didn’t he have a comeback on abortion? If abortion or “choice” is so wonderful a policy, why didn’t he say so?

PattyJ on January 18, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Ties are a Western Construct of the Eurochristian hegemony.

bikermailman on January 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Ties, schmies. Respect for a position is universal, it just has different accouterments and protocols.
Maobama is a schmuck.

Itchee Dryback on January 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM

bikermailman on January 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I’m guessing it was sark. :)

Itchee Dryback on January 18, 2010 at 11:17 AM

It’s important to make the debate on the issues.
hawksruleva on January 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Yeah..hows that been workin out?
That said, I basically agree, but don’t see it in the black/white sort of way. Anything that dents the armor is good. They can also edit completely valid points and debate tactics to look and sound bad, so thats not that big of a concern imo.

Rotten tomatoes in the face?…well thats getting close to the line and I hope people stop a bit short of that.

Itchee Dryback on January 18, 2010 at 11:23 AM

were they wearing little pink negligees?

Jewels on January 18, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Sheesh. It’s almost as if my mother starting posted here.

SagebrushPuppet on January 17, 2010 at 10:07 PM

And what’s wrong with your mother?

unclesmrgol on January 18, 2010 at 12:34 AM

You know, that was really supposed to be a joke. Sorry it fell flat.

SagebrushPuppet on January 18, 2010 at 12:32 PM

It’s probably Larry Sinclair.

That’s why Obambi was distracted.

TheAlamos on January 18, 2010 at 3:06 PM

hawksruleva on January 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I agree that “Heckling Obama is WRONG” for a different reason.

The man is Obama. There are really “Chicago thugs” willing to kill for their man.

So, people please, stop heckling Obama especially in front of his crowd. IT’S DANGEROUS.

TheAlamos on January 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Usually I go for propriety, yes I’ll often just accept someone cutting in line in front of me, as not being worth having a conniption about.

But there are things worth being improper about, there is a time for making an issue of things, and this is it. This bill, and the behavior of our present government, is worth it.

I have been wondering what the public will do if they shove this bill through. They think we are mad now… I’m thinking of ways to react, both for myself and to suggest to the Tea Party people I’m involved with. Be prepared. Obviously they are willing to go to the mat.

jodetoad on January 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Wowee! They didn’t put that in the ad did they. Obama really doesn’t handle critics well.

petunia on January 18, 2010 at 4:51 PM

you you you you you……….

Neo-Chase on January 18, 2010 at 9:01 PM

“We’re doing okay”

“You, you, you, you”

“That’s alright”

“We’re okay, we’re okay, we’re okay”

“I uh, I uh, you uh, you couldn’t, I, I, I”

“We’re doing fine”

“Now listen”

“Now. Where were we?”

“Alright, let’s go”

“That’s alright buddy”

Doesn’t he remind you of the ineffective dweeb in the movie where there’s a crisis, and he just stands around and stumbles, uttering inane babbling? Everyone usually leaves him in the dust.

atheling on January 18, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Don’t taze me bro… Why, if as Obama says we need to hear the people speak did the man get kicked out for speaking out? And didn’t you love how Obama referred to people who like to blame others instead of offering solutions? I guess we have heard the last it’s Bush’s fault from God’s son… Right!

Bert Convy on January 18, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I have a suggestion for the blogmaster: can we do polling on hotair to vote people off the site?

I want to nominate terryannonline for the first contestant of the poll.

It would add some fun to this usually boring site. It used to be very very funny and witty but now is mostly political wrangling.

Since I am in a theater of warunexplained disaster’s I want to cast my absentee ballot for the boot of good ole terryannonline.

jarhead0311 on January 18, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Add steveMG to the poll of most useless dweebs on this site.

jarhead0311 on January 19, 2010 at 12:10 AM

The one heckler was proclaiming the fact, that abortion takes the life of innocent human beings and spills innocent blood.

The response from the crowd, with the “boos” revealed the sick, perverted, hate filled, cruel mentality of Coakley’s and Obama’s devotees. They just don’t give a rat’s ass about the fact that one of their pet causes, the slaughter of innocent human beings via induced abortions, does kill innocent people.

Yes, induced abortion does cause the spilling of innocent blood, or blood of innocents, and it causes their death. It is an atrocity and a vile act and should NOT be permitted under the law, nor should it be funded by taxpayer money.

Again, Obama and Coakley and their claques revealed their malicious, mean spirited heart and mindset!

If a Conservative were on the stage, or anywhere near, they would have booed them off, and probably attacked them, visiting violence upon them also, as happens to Conservative speakers, conservative protesters, etc., at the hands of leftists-liberals-Democrats, another example of the intolerance, cruelty, and hatred from the left!

William2006 on January 17, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Well said my friend. It should be said by conservative politician’s and news casters but will not happen due to lack of heart. Thank you for giving me something to email my list. I am going to quote you.

jarhead0311 on January 19, 2010 at 12:19 AM

No disrespectful hecklers here:

Of course dissent was allowed after the speech, in an organized forum under the parental guidance of a million-strong security forces. Some subversive survivors participants call it gulag.

Rookie on January 19, 2010 at 4:19 AM

jodetoad on January 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM
I agree about not being un-civil, but I find it hard to listen to lies/spin and keep quiet. Rather than yell at my TV or politicians, I have gotten off my couch and now Stand Up For Freedom at a busy street corner with my flag and sign educating and challenging the American people 4 times a week snow, rain or shine. It is hard to standing politically naked out side of a TEA Party or any other comfort zone, but I receive much more positive shout outs than negative. And at a busy intersection the thugs seem leery to do much that would exposure them, so far any way.

amr on January 19, 2010 at 6:49 AM