Cuban cold snap kills 26 patients in mental hospital

posted at 12:15 pm on January 16, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Like my friend Bruce McQuain at QandO, I’m wondering whether Michael Moore will add this to a later edition of the Sicko DVD.  Twenty-six patients in a Cuban mental hospital died from hypothermia during an unusually cold winter in Havana:

Twenty-six patients at Cuba’s largest hospital for the mentally ill died this week during a cold snap, the government said Friday.

Human rights leaders cited negligence and a lack of resources as factors in the deaths, and the Health Ministry launched an investigation that it said could lead to criminal proceedings.

A Health Ministry communique read on state television blamed “prolonged low temperatures that fell to 38 degrees Fahrenheit (4 Celsius) in Boyeros,” the neighborhood where Havana’s Psychiatric Hospital is located.

It said most of the deaths were from natural causes such as old age, respiratory infections and complications from chronic diseases including cancer and cardiovascular problems.

The statement came in response to reports from the independent Cuban Commission on Human Rights that at least 24 mental patients died of hypothermia this week, and that the hospital did not do enough to protect them from the cold because of problems such as faulty windows.

My goodness, it’s a good thing that Michael Moore decided to lecture Americans on the superiority of the Cuban health-care system in his feature-length diatribe, isn’t it?  Otherwise, we wouldn’t be demanding a government takeover of our own health-care system to achieve parity with Fidel’s paradise.

I live in Minnesota, where it gets considerably colder than Havana for about six months out of the year.  Our hospitals manage to keep patients warm, clean, and safe.  When was the last time anyone heard of patients dying in an American hospital of hypothermia caused by their stay in the facility?  According to my recollection, that would be, uh … never. Where were the staff at this Cuban paragon of medical care?  When it got cold, no one apparently thought to close windows, or give out more sheets and blankets, or bring in more heaters … for hours.

What does it take to die of hypothermia?  Let me offer you a personal anecdote.  When we first moved to Minnesota, the First Mate was still an insulin-dependent diabetic, and one day she had big problems with her insulin dose.  While I was at work, she tried relieving the dogs out of the back door of the condo we were renting at the time, and passed out in the snow on a 30-degree day.  It took over two hours for someone to find her (after I frantically called the rental office when she wouldn’t answer the phone, whose maintenance man ended up saving her life).  She had a core body temperature below 80 degrees, and another 15 minutes outside would have been fatal.  And she was seriously ill before passing out in the snow that day as it was.

If 26 people in a mental hospital died of hypothermia, that means the staff at that facility engaged in malicious neglect.  And I wonder whether those people were truly mentally ill, or whether they were political prisoners, because even the least-engaged staffer at any kind of medical facility would have had hours to correct that kind of situation before anyone died.

Addendum: It’s also worth pointing out that a mass of people dying of hypothermia in the tropics doesn’t exactly bolster the claims of global-warming activists.

Addendum II: Why is the First Mate no longer an insulin-dependent diabetic?  She got a pancreas transplant, a procedure developed in the US and conducted by an American hospital, with complete success.   Just sayin’.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Hi Liam!

You’re right – liberals are all about appearances. They’re nothing by hypocrites when people actually need help.

AsianGirlInTights on January 16, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Why didn’t Hugo Chavez send them some heating oil?

Disturb the Universe on January 16, 2010 at 2:42 PM

He will, when he can make money off it. And liberal Americans will go wild!

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Maybe it was the staff, too.

bloggless on January 16, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Only if the “staff” does double duty as “patients” as well.

Hog Wild on January 16, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Dr. Ezekiel Emmanuel, medical advisor to Obama, has written his thoughts about those who are worthy of healthcare:

“those who are irreversibly prevented from being or becoming participating citizens….An obvious example is not guaranteeing health services to patients with dementia.”

Interestingly, those in that Cuban hospital got just what the doctor ordered according to this administration. I don’t think your going to hear any outrage from the White House on this.

caygeon on January 16, 2010 at 2:53 PM

AsianGirlInTights on January 16, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I’ve heard over and over that Christians like me are heartless, that we don’t care. The reality is that we’re first to open our wallets and take care of those in need.

Funny–I can live comfortably on $35K a year, yet when libs who makes millions demand tax increases while holding their money, I have to wonder. What is wrong with them?

And then the trolls who post here with all their vitriol: they claim Wall Street is greedy but what about Bono?

I have yet to hear an MSM accolade about a Hollywood type who sent any money to Haiti. And it’s what–five days?

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 2:53 PM

To each according to his needs, unless he needs a blanket.

BDavis on January 16, 2010 at 2:55 PM

caygeon on January 16, 2010 at 2:53 PM

That includes my beloved mom.

So much for liberal ‘compassion’.

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Cue the PSA:
In a recent cold snap, 26 patients at a mental hospital in Cuba died if hypothermia…
They didn’t have to…
But the facility lacked sufficient fuel for heating…
For a quantity of fuel oil equivalent in weight to Michael Moore, these patients would have survived…
If you can find it in your hearts, please give generously to “The Michael Moore Fuel Oil Equivalence Program”…
Give now, because “climate change” is a treacherous thing…
The patients will thank you, but Michael Moore won’t give a rat’s a$$

ya2daup on January 16, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Things I’d like to see:

Clooney slips telethon, donates millions to Haiti and takes jet to help with reconstruction

Streisand sells island, gives money to Haitians and refuses tax deduction

Bono leaves Netherlands, gives all his fortune to Haitians, and goes there to help rebuild houses.

Clintons liquidate their fortune and go with Carter, hammers in hand, to rebuild Haitian homes.

I call all libs to make these ‘headlines’ come true.

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Bush’s Fault, no doubt.

And according to Danny Glover, the Cuban cold snap is because we haven’t given in to the demands of the ‘Copenhagen Global Warming Crowd’.

LegendHasIt on January 16, 2010 at 3:07 PM

LegendHasIt on January 16, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Trite, isn’t it?

When was the last time Glover landed a top slot in a film? Seems even H-wood doesn’t want him around all that much.

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Addendum II: Why is the First Mate no longer an insulin-dependent diabetic? She got a pancreas transplant, a procedure developed in the US and conducted by an American hospital, with complete success. Just sayin’.

Thank God, and God Bless your wife, and all those whom are organ donors. I’m donating myself, if any of my organs can be used, I want them to go to someone in need. I think it’s noble, and I am so happy your wife was able to benefit from the program, and so many others.

I am going to go off topic here, to make my point. I watched Obama today, with Clinton, and Bush by his sides. I agree we need to pitch in, and help Haiti, but I resent some of the words Obama uses to express that. As if he’s God, and the moral compass for the world, considering all the lies, manipulations, and destruction he’s doing, and causing. It made me so angry I was ready to spit nails.

As if Clinton, and Bush were brought in, to make sure Americans did what they’re supposed to do. When did he coronate himself King, and when did he annoint himself God? Long before anyone even knew Obama existed, America has been giving, and doing, and taking care of…to the best of our abilities, those in need. We’ve been there for years, and will be there long after Obama is a foot note in History….God willing. So for him to exert so much arrogance, as if he has to tell the citizens of this great country what is required of us…he can rot in hell first, for all I care. Sorry. I had to rant that. I also want to add though, I thought , after all the crap Bush has had to put up with this past year, with EVERYTHING being his fault….he was gracious, and far above anything Obama could ever achieve as a human being, for stepping up, and being the stand up person, and doing this when asked, by a man who’s done nothing but hurl the fault, and blame on him for so long.

As for Michael Moore. He’s a putz. Either he’s fully aware of the harsh conditions in Cuba, and hiding those facts, to prove his absurd point….or he’s only been shown what the Cuban govt. wants him to see. Either way, it’s a lie. That goes for Danny Glover too. If you think it’s so damned grand there, go live there for a few years. You don’t see boat people from America trying to get to Cuba….do you?

capejasmine on January 16, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Knucklehead on January 16, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I should have read the comments first, Should have known someone would beat me to it.

GMTA

LegendHasIt on January 16, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Something about libs, for illustration of them:

When asked by a rich man how he might go to Heaven, Jesus said to sell all he has and give it to the poor, and to follow Him.

And the rich man walked away, shaking his head.

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 3:03 PM

It’s enough that they get in front of a camera and ask others who don’t make near the money they do, to give, give, and give some more. Which most of us are happy to do. But when it comes to giving, and sacrificing personally…oooooooooh peeeeeeeshaaaaaaaw. That’s just asking to much.

capejasmine on January 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM

The end game to all collectivist schemes is death and misery.

jukin on January 16, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Until Glover started opening his yap about politics, I liked him… well, at least his characters.

Funny how a guy can become rich and famous playing wise, kind, honorable characters with mostly conservative values yet not take away ONE lesson from his parts, and be such a hypocritical leftist loon in real life.

LegendHasIt on January 16, 2010 at 3:19 PM

capejasmine on January 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM

So true! And I call them on it, using celebs against those other libs I meet.

Amazing, I see, that those leftists who make demands can’t match to their own requirements. Then, when called on their own values, they hem and haw. Then come excuses, false justifications.

Disasters happen, which also offers chance for better people to shine. Most often, dimness comes from the Left.

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 3:21 PM

LegendHasIt on January 16, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Exactly. Chavez is now trying to tell Soap Operas in Venezuela to be more socialist, and less capitalist in their story lines. Imagine that kind of control, and tyranny being asserted on Hollywood. Would they still spew their liberal rantings, or scream for the violations is poses on their first ammendment rights?

capejasmine on January 16, 2010 at 3:22 PM

LegendHasIt on January 16, 2010 at 3:19 PM

He’s an actor. He can get into being someone else. In that, as I see it, he can’t be willing to find his truest self.

He falls into a role, among those in Hollywood. He follows the meme, never having secured his own heart. In the ned, he’s submissive to others.

Which is why, I think, he’s basically time-tested and the test leaves him lacking and without important roles.

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Madonna sent a quarter mil and Sandra Bullock sent 1 mil.
Your over generalizations are ridiculous.

rjl1999 on January 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Madonna sent a quarter mil and Sandra Bullock sent 1 mil.
Your over generalizations are ridiculous.

rjl1999 on January 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Good! It’s about time.

But where are Moore, Bono, Streisand, and the others like them? Those last are the most populist, aren’t they? The most advertised? Those are the ones I was talking about.

Where are they?

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Madonna sent a quarter mil and Sandra Bullock sent 1 mil.
Your over generalizations are ridiculous.

rjl1999 on January 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Nice try, BTW, to devalue me. But, where are your deepest liberal heroes? Got figures on them?

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Madonna sent a quarter mil and Sandra Bullock sent 1 mil.
Your over generalizations are ridiculous.

rjl1999 on January 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM

And, being like a lib, where is the evidence of your assertion? I haven’t seen it in the MSM, and celebs LOVE the press accolades.

Show me, please.

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 3:36 PM

rjl1999 on January 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM

And HOW did they donate? Through PETA? The DNC? I would like the details, to prove me wrong.

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Go to new-spider.com and search for celebrities Haiti. You’ll get at least 20 hits. Here are a couple of the links.

rjl1999 on January 16, 2010 at 3:50 PM

rjl1999 on January 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Well? Madonna and Bullock are minor players, really. And I never mentioned them. What about those I did mention?

And where is your further evidence? If you have to take time to back yourself, then you’re the one in question. What about it?

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 3:51 PM

You said:

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 2:53 PM

You grouped them all together as ‘hollywood types’.

rjl1999 on January 16, 2010 at 3:53 PM

That’s great! I’m all for it.

You are right in your assertion, no question.

But, too, where are the most rich among celebs? Those who are most liberal?

Thanks for the links.

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 3:56 PM

rjl1999 on January 16, 2010 at 3:53 PM

There’s a meme, and I go by it right or wrong.

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Don’t know if anyone already posted this link, but it shows the reality of Cuban hospitals. It’s bad there.

GnuBreed on January 16, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Three suggestions for Moore:

Bariatric surgery for your fat ugly body.

Lobotomy for your fat ugly brain.

Go to Cuba and stay there, jerk.

And Hannity played softball with this destructive slob when he was on the show.

IlikedAUH2O on January 16, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Since Moore praised the Cuban medical system over ours, then Moore should donate all his wealth to Cuba the same way all American CEOs should, according to him and the Dems, surrender to Democrat-controlled Washington.

It’s the socialist thing to do.

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Andy Stern released a statement that said in part, “Those Cubans on duty at the time of the multiple deaths were working harder than can reasonably be expected from a government employee. . . Such criticism of SEIU workers will not be tolerated. . . Condolences for your loss.”

snaggletoothie on January 16, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Has anyone ever noticed that those who complain most about other people attaining wealth are already wealthy? And, too, the wealth the complainers have is invariably inherited?

Liam on January 16, 2010 at 4:20 PM

One point I think you missed, Ed, is that in Cuba a “mental hospital” usually equates to a special place for political prisoners, in other words a prison. The fact that these poor souls died of hypothermia could very well have been as a result of negligence and abuse, not to mention torture. We’ll never know, since the Castro regime has about as much transparency as the Obama administration.

simkeith on January 16, 2010 at 4:28 PM

This probably happened in the 19the century in America when our health care system was a total free market like you conservatives want again. If you get your way, this will be the norm again.

– Liberal troll that has not commented in the last week since things are not going well on my side

WashJeff on January 16, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Wrong again, troll. The 19th century is not noted for ANY organized sense of medical care – it was mostly hit or miss with lots of ineffective to dangerous treatments.

If you think mental illness is stigmatized now, well our stigmas look like medals of honor compared to how these patients were treated in the 19th century.

It was NOT a matter of money but of philosophy.

And YOUR philosophy has set free lots of people who needed to be in supervised settings to wander the streets, homeless and dangerous to themselves and others.

Mommynator on January 16, 2010 at 5:02 PM

This is the Cuban Health Care System. Very ideal. Obama is surely thinking of Castro’s Socialist Health Care System for his constituents. Castro’s is the ideal.

Support Obamacare! It’s will be “fair” and “equitable” just like the Cuban system!

Just make sure that you won’t go “nuts” later.

TheAlamos on January 16, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Cuban cold snap kills 26 patients in mental hospital”

Think about it. This is a metaphor for the entire Marxist movement from the beginning.

If it weren’t so bloody, tragic, and destructive, it would be an hysterical farce. Much like a Marx Brothers movie (I know Karl Marx…Marx Brothers…I couldn’t resist).

DeathB4Tyranny on January 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM

WashJeff on January 16, 2010 at 12:27 PM

So you support “distorted” market instead of “free market”?

Gosh. Now I believe that all liberals’ logic have been fully “distorted”.

Even the Economics books of the Liberals in Harvard say this:

FREE MARKET = A COMPETITIVE MARKET, THE MOST EFFICIENT MECHANISM!”

When the market returns to a very competitive level, Government intervention should cease!

TheAlamos on January 16, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Too bad Mikey wasn’t in the ward with those patients.

GarandFan on January 16, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Hey, has anyone asked the members of the Congressional Black Caucus about this? There were a dozen of them or so that came back from a trip to Cuba last year, singing Fidel’s praises.

PatMac on January 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Did U.S. hospitals cope with extreme weather condition’s?

mags on January 16, 2010 at 6:39 PM

OK, but at least it was free.

Jaibones on January 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Speaking of media ho’s, No mention despite Bill Ayre’s attempts to be a mainstream media prop

Obummer’s buddies and former Weather Underground terror leaders Bernadine Dohrn and William Ayres along with Code Pink founder and California Democratic fund-raiser Jodie Evans were surrounded by riot police and barbed wire as they demonstrated outside the US and French embassies and the UN Development Program’s headquarters in Cairo for hamas and against Israel .

Code Red on Code Pink

Reality Check on January 16, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Let’s ice this lard-ass for incompetent ignorance. Better yet, let’s just ignore his blathering stupidity.

jgdp on January 16, 2010 at 9:09 PM

From a liberal and green perspective, how many rolls-o-toilet paper should this lard ass be allowed to use daily? Currently his “tissue footprint” is close to that of a giant sequoia!

jgdp on January 16, 2010 at 9:14 PM

“Government intervention (some form of regulation) is necessary for a distorted market in order to make it a real FREE MARKET.”

TheAlamos on January 16, 2010 at 5:19 PM

And that is the proper role of the government – impartial referees on the sidelines. Not micromanaging over people’s shoulders.

Capitalism and Communism have one very important thing in common: neither system has a snowball’s chance in hell of working in a fair and efficient manner if the participants can play dirty whenever they feel like it. The difference is that the latter system provides no method of eliminating the conflict of interest.

Dark-Star on January 16, 2010 at 10:16 PM

GnuBreed on January 16, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I have posted that link each and every time I’ve gotten into an argument about Cuban health care with an online lefty. In each and every case they either ignore it or claim that the photos aren’t from Cuba. They’re the most deluded people on Earth and terminally stupid.

Sharke on January 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM

The reformed lefty Ron Rodosh tells a great story about a socialist pilgrimage to Cuba he went on in the 60′s. As related by Mona Charen in “Useful Idiots”:

In the course of the visit, despite their Communist tour guide’s manly attempts to obscure reality, Radosh at least was able to perceive that the Cuban people were suffering. Most of the other members of the delegation, however, chose to check their consciences at the door. After visiting a Cuban mental hospital, members of the group were a little dismayed to learn that lobotomy was a widely practiced “therapy” for mental patients (long after the practice had been abandoned in the U.S.). In fact, most of those commited to mental hospitals in Cuba were lobotomized. One member of the group protested, saying, “This stinks. Lobotomy is a horror. We must do something to stop this. It’s exactly what we’re working against at home.” But another pilgrim, Suzanne Ross, was unperturbed: “We have to understand that there are differences between capitalist lobotomies and socialist lobotomies.”

:) :) :)

Sharke on January 16, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Ed do you have anymore info on this? Was it at the Mayo? I have a young family member who is a mother to young kids who is type I. Please let me know where to find out about this. Thanks and God Bless your family.

bloggless on January 16, 2010 at 12:47 PM

FYI on pancreatic transplants. If it is a PANCREAS ONLY transplant, it has a 100% failure rate (5 yr), regardless of tissue match. In order for the tranplant to be a success, you must get a kidney FROM THE SAME DONOR AS THE PANCREAS, and get it transplanted at the same time. Donors are usually victims of some tragic trauma that leaves the organs unharmed. This means that P & K donors are EXTREMELY RARE. I hope your family member is responding well to insulin therapy, because docs usually only recommend transplants if pancreatic cancer is involved and it hasn’t metasticized.

sawbuck on January 17, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Cool, two myths busted in one shot — global warming and the superior Cuban health care system.

Daggett on January 17, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Anybody ever hear of someone dying of hypothermia when the temperatures are in the 40s? I’m not buying it. I’m betting this was a convenient way for the Cubans to rid themselves of inconvenient citizens. Yes, I’m saying they were all murdered.

orlandocajun on January 17, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Gee, anyone see new procedures like this being developed under Obamacare? I thought not.

conservnut on January 17, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Nothing like taking a slap at Michael Moore AND Al Gore at the same time.

It just came to me that if both of those self-serving idiots were visiting Cuba at the time of the cold snap, there would be enough Hot Air to save those unfortunate patients.

ArmchairEnergist on January 17, 2010 at 8:43 AM

While I did not see “Sicko”, the fact that 26 Cubans died of Hypothermia in a mental institution tells me two things. One the dead were in the right place for treatment and being treated by their peers, and second that Michale Moore knows how to pick em.

MSGTAS on January 17, 2010 at 9:32 AM

And the hits keep on coming:

“Two years ago the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) issued a benchmark report that was claimed to incorporate the latest and most detailed research into the impact of global warming. A central claim was the world’s glaciers were melting so fast that those in the Himalayas could vanish by 2035.

In the past few days the scientists behind the warning have admitted that it was based on a news story in the New Scientist, a popular science journal, published eight years before the IPCC’s 2007 report.

It has also emerged that the New Scientist report was itself based on a short telephone interview with Syed Hasnain, a little-known Indian scientist then based at Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi.

Hasnain has since admitted that the claim was “speculation” and was not supported by any formal research. If confirmed it would be one of the most serious failures yet seen in climate research. The IPCC was set up precisely to ensure that world leaders had the best possible scientific advice on climate change. ”

More at:

Gee, the way things are going, we may next find out is that Danny Glover’s claim that the Haiti earthquake was caused by global warming is wrong; that it was based on speculation, rather than on his scientific research.

LegendHasIt on January 17, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Perhaps we have stumbled on the reason why we haven’t seen an exodus of boat people storming the shores of Cuba since Moore’s film came out??

flyoverboy on January 17, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Michael Moore will send complimentary DVD’s of his work to all surviving mental patients.

His best audience.

profitsbeard on January 17, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Madonna sent a quarter mil and Sandra Bullock sent 1 mil.
Your over generalizations are ridiculous.

rjl1999 on January 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Why is Madonna so cheap?

unclesmrgol on January 18, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Torture!

HonestConservative on January 18, 2010 at 12:04 PM

When it works in their favor, the Warm-mongers can claim that increased hurricanes activity means Global warming or Climate change.

Juno77 on January 16, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Small nit, there hasn’t been an increase in hurricane activity. The studies that tried to prove there has been, have been well and thoroughly shredded.

Most of them just looked at the number of recorded hurricanes, without adjusting for the fact that in the age of satellites, a lot of hurricanes that used to be missed because they were small and stayed well out to sea, are now being counted. Better satellites have made it easier to spot hurricanes that only last a few hours as well.

MarkTheGreat on January 18, 2010 at 12:45 PM