Obama robocall for Coakley: The outcome of ObamaCare depends on this

posted at 8:14 pm on January 15, 2010 by Allahpundit

I’m flagging this now because you’d better believe that if Scotty B shocks the world, the very first words out of Gibbs’s mouth at the next presser will be to deny that the outcome had anything to do with ObamaCare. Quote:

In Washington, I’m fighting to curb the abuses of a health insurance industry that routinely denies care. I’m fighting for financial reforms to stop Wall Street from playing havoc with our economy. I’m fighting to create a new clean energy economy and it’s clear now that the outcome of these and other fights will probably rest on one vote in the United States Senate.

Follow the link for audio. We’ve had so many Brown posts on the site today that I’ve lost track of what has and hasn’t been posted yet. Did Ed catch this little detail earlier?

According to strategists familiar with internal polls conducted for Coakley’s campaign, the consequences of Obama’s visit could produce a net-negative effect on Coakley’s campaign.

Obama has a net favorable rating in MA, according to public and private polls. A Suffolk Univ. poll out today shows 55% of MA voters viewing him favorably, while just 35% see him unfavorably. But the intensity of voters who view him unfavorably, or who disapprove of his job performance, is so high that an appearance with Coakley could bring out more GOPers ready to vote for Brown than it could Dems set on their nominee.

“Obama is radioactive in polls,” said one senior Dem operative who has seen the campaign’s internal numbers. “Every time they dropped his name in a poll, it was awful. So you just can’t take those kinds of chances.”

If he’d decided not to go up there, it could have been taken as an admission that he’s become ballot-box poison, which only weakens his grip on panicky centrist Dems in Congress. If he does go and she wins, he’s the savior; if he goes and she loses, he looks bad but can claim — entirely credibly — that she was an awful candidate who ran an irredeemably awful campaign. (Some Dems are ahead of the curve in pushing that explanation.) Given his support among young and minority voters who might not otherwise turn out, it’s probably worth the gamble. And hey — if nothing else, this suggests that the Dems really do believe that the race is winnable, bad polls and momentum notwithstanding. I think he’ll win her more votes than he’ll lose. Exit prediction: Coakley 51, Brown 48.

Update: Just occurred to me: What if the Dems reach a deal on ObamaCare this weekend? Will The One postpone the announcement until he’s in Massachusetts, in hopes that the buzz surrounding their “accomplishment” will be enough to push Coakley over the top?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Someone commented earlier this week – sorry – can’t remember which wise reader it was – so I’m paraphrasing:

…maybe some of the robot drone voters will vote for the Kennedy on the ballot -purely out of Pavlovian response.

Well, we can always hope.

tru2tx on January 15, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Obama robocall for Coakley: The outcome of ObamaCare depends on this

I am warning all you voters. If you don’t vote for Coakley I won’t be able to pull the plug on your grandmother! She will get that operation and be able to go on for years telling you to eat all your veggies!

MB4 on January 15, 2010 at 8:57 PM

I saw part of Chris Matthews show tonight and I think he’s practicing saying “Senator Brown”. He looked quite distressed.

Marcus on January 15, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I caught that (I can’t explain why) and I thought he was going to cry.

So, out of morbid curiosity, I watched for a few minutes until my wife caught me.

turfmann on January 15, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Wouldn’t that news have the opposite affect? Most Mass voters don’t want Obamacare.

AnthonyK on January 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I’m sure that Mass voters will appreciate how white he sounds in that robocall and give him many of their votes because he doesn’t sound black.

29Victor on January 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Well, we can always hope.

tru2tx on January 15, 2010 at 8:57 PM

That would be me. I called them idiots.

Knucklehead on January 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM

But nobody wants Obamacare, especially in MA. Why would he use that to convince voters?

ctmom on January 15, 2010 at 9:03 PM

What if Barney was giving out Bacon Popcorn with Bacon Mayo….would you knock on THAT door?

HornetSting on January 15, 2010 at 8:53 PM

HornetSting: I don`t think my wife would let me go!!hehe:)

canopfor on January 15, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Exit prediction: Coakley 51, Brown 48.

The 51/48 split sounds right but Brown is the 51.

farright on January 15, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I don’t see how an annoucement of a “deal” on Bama’s socialist wet dream is going to help Coakley. If anything, combined with Bama’s “radioactive” touch, I think it will energize further those opposed to this monstrosity.

The appellation of Coakley as Obama’s “ally” is pretty hilarious in the circumstances. Obama has been the best salesman against “his” program with his incompetent representations of what it is. It is clear to most all sentients that Pelosi and Reid are designing this travesty, not Bama…so being his ally is like sitting on the sidewalk applauding the parade. Coakley is coming in at the end and simply will be a drone voting however instructed. This is about her capacity on a good day, but I digress.

I suspect and hope Bama will have another “Copenhagen moment” of negative utility in MA. His arrogance is wearing on people. His vision of the US is now pretty clear and resistance is growing in numbers of disappointed people and the intensity of disappointment. While for some reason many people continue to like the man, his agenda is tanking. I am not understanding this.

Pitching a vote for Coakley as a way to ensure passage of “his” healthcare mess is a great idea…it ties Coakley to Obamacare. He would do better trying to make her out as a brilliant person and a real asset to Congress, more maybe a mutual admiration comment to play on his sole asset, but her actions as AG and before blow that idea up like a cheap balloon.

God willing, Brown wins.

Harry Schell on January 15, 2010 at 9:08 PM

All these polls are making me dizzy. Anecdotal accounts in Boston relate more enthusiam for Brown. My cousins live in Boston and most of them are COPS. Guess who they are voting for. It aint Coakley…

Just get your azz out there and vote. I hope it rains or snows.

AnthonyK on January 15, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Keep it up, Obamacrats.

Your agenda is SOOOO POPULAR that you’re in danger of losing Ted Kennedy’s barstool former seat.

That’s gotta be like, a majority somewhere.

These idiots don’t seem to understand that 49% of the nation didn’t vote for this clown, and also that the United States of America isn’t Daley’s Chicago.

Good Lt on January 15, 2010 at 9:09 PM

If she loses, the one good thing about Obama coming in to stump is that he will own the size 13 odor of defeat.

unclesmrgol on January 15, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Watch the Brown video, Momentum showing him walking around being warmly greeted in Southie. If you are not from here it would be really easy to not understand the significance of this Ad.

Southie, is deep blue. It is the home of Billy Bulger who was the Senate President and most powerful person in the state and godfather of corrupt democratic patronage for decades.

Basically, that Ad means a significant portion of the most reliable Democratic base has defected. Otherwise, you’d be reading stories about Scott having been assaulted that day trying to campaign in the Democrat strong hold.

Remember the video of Reagan having a beer at the Erie Pub in Dorchester, MA in the early 80s? Reagan being greeted by his new coalition of “Reagan Democrats?” This is exactly the same thing and is likely why this Ad was made.

This campaign feels exactly like every significant win – be it a ballot petition or a candidate like Ronald Reagan – we’ve ever had here.

If Brown does not win at this point I’d be shocked.

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:09 PM

…in hopes that the buzz surrounding their “accomplishment” will be enough to push Coakley over the top?

To the contrary, it will nail her coffin shut!

GarandFan on January 15, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I noted someone asked what are the rules in MA for electoral recounts. I believe MA state law says you may challenge (be entitled to a re-count) if the margin of victory is 1/2 of 1% or less.

alwyr on January 15, 2010 at 9:10 PM

If you can get 108% of the voters out, you deserve more then just a thread.

Spirit of 1776 on January 15, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Why not? Here in Illinois, they’ve got that down to a science.

RINO in Name Only on January 15, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Huckabee just said that this is going to be a textbook case on how NOT to win a senate race in a state where you can’t lose! LOL

AnthonyK on January 15, 2010 at 9:10 PM

ctmom on January 15, 2010 at 9:03 PM

He’s not saying that or going there to inspire the voters, but to gin up SEIU, ACORN, and the other vote thieves.

TXUS on January 15, 2010 at 9:11 PM

ANybody who wants a little more insight can tune into WTKK, Boston right now and listen to Michele McPhee for a sense of what is happening here. You can listen to he live on their website.

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM

At this point, I bet the Dems are trying to figure out if they can steal enough votes to make it look like a respectable loss for Coakley…

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Obama has to be nuts making this about health care. If the polls are correct, health care reform is trailing by 15, he is telling people they have an opportunity to kill it by voting for Brown!

patrick neid on January 15, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I would love to see the average ‘listen’ time on these calls. If they are less than 15 seconds…Then Coakley and the Democratic party are doomed!

Rndguy on January 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM

MB4 on January 15, 2010 at 8:57 PM

God Bless Grandma!

OmahaConservative on January 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM

TXUS on January 15, 2010 at 9:11 PM

There’s not enough of them outside of Boston. Union people have fought hard for their HC benefits. They’ve given up wage increases for them. They aren’t about to give them up or be taxed on them by Obama. Look at the video of the union guy admitting he was being paid to hold the sign but would be voting for Brown. That’s a peek under the covers…

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:20 PM

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Bless you

EZnSF on January 15, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Sorry, I played cheerleader for McCain/Palin as well as Hoffman. Momentum doesn’t beat GOTV which i’m sure is much better on the DEM side in MA. for the last 100 years (or however long Kennedy held the seat) I’m confident that there was very little in terms of infrastructure that got build in MA from the Repuke perspective. This would have to be won on pure grassroots and although I hope that happens I’m not so confident, inspite of the polls

wiseprince on January 15, 2010 at 9:22 PM

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Can you tell us if this is a widely listened to station back east? or some secondary. Tanks.

EZnSF on January 15, 2010 at 9:26 PM

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Thanks for pointing that out. Been to Southie myself, some years ago, and that’s no easy place. Almost got in a fight because I told the Big Mouth yelling at me from the corner to eff himself. He charged, then stepped away and ran when I pulled heat.

If Southie is target rich for Brown, man I’m impressed.

TXUS on January 15, 2010 at 9:26 PM

McPhee WTKK: Coakley just dismissed Curt schilling as “another Yankee fan. “>> WTF? She’s cracking under the pressure

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:29 PM

So Obama is saying Coakley is a YEA vote for ANY bill Obama persues! What about what the PEOPLE of MA want???

TN Mom on January 15, 2010 at 9:31 PM

EZnSF on January 15, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Yes. The two largest are WTKK and WRKO. Equally powerful in different time slots.

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:32 PM

These truly are the times that try men’s souls… Local talk radio jocks like Carr, McPhee and Severin have you up one minute (Brown’s up in the polls!,) down the next (The One is coming.) Drove to work this morning on a major route (3A, south of Boston) that sees 40,000 vehicles a day, and passed three separate groups of Coakley sign holders with not a Brown in sight. Tried to get through to the Brown camp to beg them to redeploy some troops and can’t leave a message, all the boxes are full. Full because they expected to run a statewide campaign that has exploded into a national one.

Guess I picked a bad time to give up heroin…

CaptFlood on January 15, 2010 at 9:32 PM

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I’m with you dude, there was significance to showing the street signs, that wasn’t an accident, it was marking his territory deep in enemy territory. Shoulda showed him chowin on some steak tips and sluggin a shot at the Quiet Man for the icing on the cake.

Alden Pyle on January 15, 2010 at 9:34 PM

BREAKING: McPhee WTKK Cambridge Police patrolman Union endorse Scott Brown. Coakley’s husband is a retired Cambridge Cop!

Get the butter. She’s TOAST!

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:35 PM

CaptFlood on January 15, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Fear not Capn, get off the highway and there is not a Coakley sign in a yard, all Brown signs. This is grassroots baby.

Alden Pyle on January 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM

What did I tell you: The main reason is, they don’t want to give up their hard earned, bargained benefits. Told ya. Do I know my people or do I know my people?!

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Ha! Wanna bet her husband votes for Brown?!

Alden Pyle on January 15, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Alden Pyle on January 15, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Exactly. You know the deal…

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Just got this in my email box from…joe biden????? uh, thanks, are ya kiddin?

Alden –

Yesterday, Scott Brown showed his true colors.

Given a perfect opportunity to show where his loyalties lie — with working families in Massachusetts or with the bankers on Wall Street who helped lead us into the mess we’re in — guess who he chose?

Even though the banks received billions of dollars from American taxpayers to prevent the collapse of our financial system, Scott Brown doesn’t think it’s fair for us to get it back — when they’re paying out billions in bonuses with our money.

But as President Obama said yesterday, “We want our money back, and we’re going to get it.”

And Massachusetts voters need to know that Scott Brown is going to do everything he can to stop our progress — just as he’ll do everything he can to stop health reform, our efforts to build a clean-energy economy, and so much more.

Martha Coakley will be a strong ally in the Senate and a powerful force for change and progress. That’s why it’s vitally important that you vote for her this Tuesday, January 19th — and that you do everything you can to make sure others get out and vote, too.

Please sign up to help her final push for victory.

Unlike Scott Brown, Martha Coakley’s career has been spent taking on powerful interests.

From holding corporate polluters accountable to reining in the abuses of Wall Street titans, she’s been fighting for the people of Massachusetts the whole time.

And with health reform and basic fairness to American taxpayers on the line, I hope you’ll do everything you can to help get her over the finish line in the final days.

Click here to find and RSVP for an event near you in these final days:

Thanks for getting out there,

Vice President Joe Biden

Alden Pyle on January 15, 2010 at 9:39 PM

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Criminal stupidity. Are these the mad political skillz she’s bringing to the Senate to fight for her state?

I love how she tries to backtrack it, after the interviewer says he played for the Red Sox, and she says “well, maybe at one time, but not anymore.” They have the clip at politico.

RINO in Name Only on January 15, 2010 at 9:41 PM

RINO in Name Only on January 15, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Thanks!

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Get the butter. She’s TOAST!

TheBigOldDog on January 15, 2010 at 9:35 PM

That’s huge. Maybe the next beer summit needs to be up there, with us peeps. Let’s roll!

TXUS on January 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM

You know this Cadillac plan deal? Why don’t we start a campaign of not “buying union?” Let the union workers think about that for a while!

Oink on January 15, 2010 at 9:45 PM

MA has a large percentage of unaffiliated voters. They appear to be in Scott Brown’s camp. With their turnout and a strong Republican turnout, Brown has a good chance to win.

onlineanalyst on January 15, 2010 at 9:50 PM

You know, this lie irks me the most. They practically scour the entire country looking for 3 or 4 anecdotes to use illustrating this lie, and they all get shot down as exaggerations or worse.

This will not stand.

Thank you, GnuBreed. Obamao is famous for his lies by anecdote. In place of the fine system that we have with its myriad choices, ObaMao wants to create a system where bureaucrats on a panel will routinely determine level of care (or non-care) and get between the patient and his doctor.

onlineanalyst on January 15, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Alden Pyle on January 15, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Of course, what crazy Joe didn’t say was that the Obama administration and Goldman Sachs are fused at the hip.

How Goldman Sachs Made Tens Of Billions Of Dollars From The Economic Collapse Of America In Four Easy Steps

Goldman SachsInvestment banking giant Goldman Sachs has become perhaps the most prominent symbol for everything that is wrong with the U.S. financial system, but most Americans cannot even begin to explain what they do or how they have made tens of billions of dollars from the economic collapse of America. The truth is that what Goldman Sachs did was fairly simple, and there may not have even been anything “illegal” about it (although they are now being investigated by the SEC among others).

The following is how Goldman Sachs made tens of billions of dollars from the economic collapse of America in four easy steps….

Step 1: Sell mortgage-related securities that are absolute junk to trusting clients at vastly overinflated prices.

Step 2: Bet against those same mortgage-related securities and make massive bets against the U.S. housing market so that your firm will make massive profits when the U.S. economy collapses.

Step 3: Have ex-Goldman executives in key positions of power in the U.S. government so that bailout money can be funneled to entities such as AIG that Goldman has made these bets with so that they can get paid after they win their bets.

Step 4: Collect the profits – Goldman Sachs is having their “most successful year” and will end up reporting approximately $50 billion in revenue for 2009.

MB4 on January 15, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Alden Pyle on January 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM

You’re right-on there, Alden. I have seen plenty of Brown signs on the backroads, even in towns that were formerly awash in ‘Hope and Change…’ I guess I’m just having some pre-fight jitters: I’ve donated, I’ve asked everyone within ear-shot to get out the vote for Brown, I’ve debated ad-nauseum with friend, foe, and family (just had a doozy with a liberal cousin from Milton,) and now I’m in that amped-up, awful state of daring to hope…

Guess I picked a bad time to give up crack cocaine…

CaptFlood on January 15, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Hey Barry…pack up the wife and kids…we’re going to Boston baby and I’m driving. ROAD TRIP! Let’s kick this b!tch!

milwife88 on January 15, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Anybody else see this re Bill Clinton, the UN Special Envoy to Haiti?

BOSTON—In a conversation with National Review Online, former president Bill Clinton defended his appearance today at a rally for Democrat Martha Coakley while Haiti is recovering from Tuesday’s earthquake. When I told him that some had been critical of his decision to stump for Coakley while hundreds of thousands are still trapped under rubble, he responded with annoyance: “Who?” he challenged, “who is criticizing me? It’s your problem if you can’t see how these things aren’t mutually exclusive.” Electing Coakley, he said, will “help lead to good governance” that will support Haiti while it rebuilds. When Congressman Ed Markey told Clinton that I worked for National Review, Clinton concluded with this: “See, it’s you guys who are saying this stuff, I don’t hear it.” With that, he jumped in his SUV, on his way to Worcester for another rally. Haiti, it seems, can wait.

onlineanalyst on January 15, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Allah is predicting Coakley 51-48 just for the sake of maintaining his Eyeore rep. Nothing to see here folks.

Mayhem on January 15, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Send another lapdog to help me destroy the capitalist system. I mean, what has it done for our 57 states? We need to bankrupt the country so we can clean out the corruption and start over.

Basilsbest on January 15, 2010 at 10:18 PM

If the crap care passes…just try to keep it quiet til next Tuesday. I personally believe that dems in Mass. are going with Brown, and don’t want the health crap darkening their doorstep. If they push this thru, I really don’t think Coakley has a chance in he!! of winning.

capejasmine on January 15, 2010 at 10:24 PM

The Dems I know are at the breaking point. They know O’s agenda is destructive. They make pleading statements about how taxes are really not that bad, how some kind of health reform is necessary, how he’s just careful not detached.

I bet many Dems lied when they said they still supported him. They will vote for Brown in the booth.

PattyJ on January 15, 2010 at 10:24 PM

What if the Dems reach a deal on ObamaCare this weekend?

I don’t know if this is of any importance, but Hannity had Bob Beckle (sp?) on his radio show this week, and Bob said that the Dems will get this done over the weekend.

Some may say Beckle doesn’t know what he’s talking about, but he claims to be on the inside.

Anything is possible.

Mark Boabaca on January 15, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Nope, they will turn out to see him. They will not turn out to vote.

Nope, this is CYA. If she loses, he can be blamed for not showing up. If she loses, so does Obamacare and he will be blamed for the failure of Obamacare because he did not show up. He has to show up. Imagine if he didn’t and she loses. I think everyone has it wrong. He has to show up.

bloggless on January 15, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Mark Boabaca on January 15, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Beckel is an ass.

bloggless on January 15, 2010 at 11:03 PM

The outcome of ObamaCare depends on this

For the 56 to 71% [depending on the poll and question] who have no high regard for Oobaka’s totalitarian fantasy, that statement is a death warrant for O-care.

|||||||

To the citizens of Massachusetts:

Wanna spit in Oobaka’s eye?

Vote for Scott Brown.

CPT. Charles on January 15, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Exit prediction: Coakley 51, Brown 48.

Unfortunately, that sounds about right.

ddrintn on January 15, 2010 at 11:23 PM

But if Coakley does end up winning after all, what does that do for the “the GOP has to moderate in order to win” mantra?

ddrintn on January 15, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Time for every Congressman who voted for the absurdly unconstitutional bill to go to jail, and throw Obama in with them – before it passes. (Hey, you have your fantasy, I’ll have mine.)

JDPerren on January 15, 2010 at 11:47 PM

The kiss of death

bluegrass on January 16, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Let me be perfectly clear,

I will get the best deal for the unions, especially SEIU and the UAW and ACORN employess, illegal aliens.

Get in their face at the polls and intimidate them. You have no worries, Eric Holder is at your back and he does as I say.

I am putting out an executive order today stating that this is Ted’s seat and the democrats seat and this dizzy broad I support is going to sit in it.

I promise that this will be televised on C-Span in the year 2022 and I will negociate this best deal that Harry , Nancy and myself can put together behind closed doors.

Now you elected me to change and change you are going to get so calm down and quit trying this government by the people BS, it just won’t work. You are acting stupidly to behave in this manner. It is a new day in America.

bluegrass on January 16, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Odumbo is an arrogant fool. He totally ignores the wishes of the people, and that will bring the stupid SOB down. The nation has never seen arrogance like this.

ultracon on January 16, 2010 at 7:46 PM

ultracon on January 16, 2010 at 7:46 PM

And it’s not just that he’s so totally tone deaf, although he certainly is that, painfully so. You have to be dumb as a stump to say this. Stupidity is the only explanation.

Jaibones on January 16, 2010 at 8:28 PM

The ONE may think he was recording an ad for Coakley, but it sounds like an ad for Brown to me.

MJBrutus on January 17, 2010 at 5:38 AM

I need you to make me look good and accomplish what I have been trying to do all of my life. This is the original sound bite to support Ms. Coakley.

Boston, is going to show the nation what a Tea Party movement is, and it is nothing close to a Demoncrat’s version of a “Tupperware”, “AMWAY”, “Fuller Brush”, or “Avon” party.

MSGTAS on January 17, 2010 at 9:40 AM