Inevitable: Ben Nelson asks for bribe to be removed from ObamaCare bill

posted at 6:25 pm on January 15, 2010 by Allahpundit

What doth it profit a man if he gain a Medicaid buyout but lose his table at the local pizzeria?

Sen. Ben Nelson of Nebraska is asking Senate leaders to eliminate a controversial Medicaid deal for his state in the health care bill…

Nelson’s been arguing ever since [he voted yes] that he never wanted a special deal for Nebraska and that he wants all states protected from burdensome new costs.

That didn’t quiet the controversy so Nelson took it one step further on Friday and asked for the deal to be withdrawn and replaced with a provision treating all states equally.

I spent a lot of time goofing on Lincoln, Bayh, et al. for not squeezing sweetheart deals of their own out of Reid, but given the total, utter, potentially career-ending clusterfark this has become for Nelson, it looks like they played things smart. Or at least, as smart as people who are facing career-ending votes of their own in the next few years can be.

As I’m writing this, news is breaking that yet another tree has fallen in the great Democratic forest. Farewell, Vic Snyder, newest casualty of the GOP’s smoke-and-mirrors midterm hype machine. Exit question: Is Nelson’s offer to give back his bribe a sign that he’s fully committed to ObamaCare and wants his hands as clean as possible when he votes yes? Or is it a sign that he’s wetting his pants over the backlash at home and is prepared to bolt if Scott Brown shocks the world?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Whatever happen to Midwest common sense?

chickasaw42 on January 15, 2010 at 8:20 PM

WE still have it. he has just become an out of touch Washington insider.

OmahaConservative on January 15, 2010 at 8:22 PM

PLEASE SEND SCOTT BROWN $$$$$$$$$$$$$

OmahaConservative on January 15, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Wetting his pants over the backlash at home and is prepared to bolt if Scott Brown shocks the world.

kg598301 on January 15, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Judas

OmahaConservative on January 15, 2010 at 8:34 PM

WE still have it. he has just become an out of touch Washington insider.

OmahaConservative on January 15, 2010 at 8:22 PM

The proof will be in the pudding by making him a Washington outsider come his next election.

chickasaw42 on January 15, 2010 at 8:48 PM

chickasaw42 on January 15, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I lived in San Diego when he was elected governor twice and then senator. I have only had the opportunity to vote against him once, and Pete Ricketts was a weak candidate with zero charisma.

OmahaConservative on January 15, 2010 at 9:02 PM

OmahaConservative on January 15, 2010 at 9:02 PM

We will see you and huskerdiva tomorrow morning about 9:00. We’ll be looking for HA signs, tall men and the smell of tator tot casseroles.

yoda on January 15, 2010 at 9:20 PM

What an incredibly stupid jerk. He’s toast.

ultracon on January 15, 2010 at 9:26 PM

yoda on January 15, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Cannot wait to meet you all! Can’t wait!

OmahaConservative on January 15, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. If Brown wins, the House votes for the Senate bill. ObamaCare passes, the camel’s nose is under the tent, try for what they want in down the road.

mwdiver on January 15, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I swear….every time I log on and catch up on the Democrat Party shenanigan of the day I feel better. Sometimes it’s downright funny.

“But Judge….what if I give the money back to bank…call it even, eh?”

So it seems Nelson would vote for ObamaCare without a bribe. That will play well in his re-election bid.

Dolt.

BobMbx on January 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Matthew 27:3 Then when Judas, who had betrayed Him, saw that He had been condemned, he felt remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders

Was that over the top? I can never tell.

Mojave Mark on January 15, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Was that over the top? I can never tell.

Mojave Mark on January 15, 2010 at 9:59 PM

I’m a Missouri Synod Lutheran and I approved that ad quote.

OmahaConservative on January 15, 2010 at 10:03 PM

I think “wetting his pants” is happening.

antisocial on January 16, 2010 at 1:46 AM

I think “wetting his pants” is happening.

antisocial on January 16, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Nelson is getting all wee-wee’d up?

What an incredibly stupid jerk. He’s toast.

ultracon on January 15, 2010 at 9:26 PM

No, stuffed pizza.

dthorny on January 16, 2010 at 2:02 AM

…and Pete Ricketts was a weak candidate with zero charisma.

OmahaConservative on January 15, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Absolutely. Even I couldn’t bring myself to vote for that guy.

Nelson wasn’t such an obvious liberal until Obama became Pres. and when that happened it’s like something clicked and Nelson started voting uber liberal.

Yakko77 on January 16, 2010 at 2:55 AM

Democrat’s Apocalypse Now

Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Anchovy Pizza, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of Anchovy Pizza in the morning.

yoda on January 16, 2010 at 5:46 AM

The sky is falling
The sky is falling

We gotta pass this socialist health control bill!

The sky is falling

bluegrass on January 16, 2010 at 7:42 AM

I am a native Iowan, and it is impossible to fathom how “Toupe Ben”, or Harkin keep getting elected from clearly conservative farming states.

Nelson is toast, and I bet Marxist Harken is also.

Cleveland Steamer on January 16, 2010 at 8:47 AM

A cheap whore is still a whore.

cntrlfrk on January 16, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Out… out, damned spot.

SKYFOX on January 16, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Obama Says “A Giant Pork Sandwich” Will Lower Health Care Costs http://optoons.blogspot.com/2009/12/obama-says-giant-pork-sandwich-will.html

Mervis Winter on January 16, 2010 at 12:17 PM

If everyone gets a bribe, can we call it an entitlement?

If this gets Nelson back to where he can order a pizza in peace, what the hey

Every real man has to draw the line somewhere, and for Nelson, it is the right to buy a pizza in peace

Will Governor Schwatzenblabber calm down and take his piece of the pie, now that he is invited to the feast? I need a stop watch

entagor on January 16, 2010 at 1:39 PM

This is more crap from Nelson. No matter what – and he knows it – he has already supplied the 60th vote to allow our prince-of-darkness president’s health care bill to go into secret negotiations and “reconciliation” that will require only 51 votes.

I trust the voters of Nebraska will not forgive him.

Chessplayer on January 16, 2010 at 9:48 PM

They should put Nelson in a suicide watch.

miron on January 17, 2010 at 3:05 AM

You mean Nelson can not even order pizza delivered to his home?

miron on January 17, 2010 at 3:07 AM