Video: Mika Brzezinski picks Lincoln as favorite founding father?

posted at 3:35 pm on January 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Ah, karma.  In the middle of this MS-NBC gigglefest over Sarah Palin’s response to Glenn Beck on which Founding Father she likes best, Mika Brzezinski offers her opinion on the best Founding Father — who wasn’t born until 20 years after the US adopted its present Constitution. As Talking Points Memo and Stormin’s Morning Java warn, you have to listen carefully at the one-minute mark for Mika’s interjection of “Lincoln”:

For what it’s worth, my favorite has been James Madison, mainly for his work on the Constitution, although after reading the latest Samuel Adams biography, I’d call it a toss-up. George Washington is a good, if safe and a bit pedestrian, choice, given the example he set for all future Presidents in eschewing power. But I think Palin would know better than to say “Lincoln,” and it’s hilarious that the chuckleheads in this clip never even caught it coming from their own.

Update: A bit more from TPM:

“Wow, uuummm… Wow, I just need to, let me just process, okay,” Brzezinski remarked in response to the clip. Later Buchanan chimed in, “I would’ve gone with Hamilton, myself, Joe.” Shortly thereafter Brzezinski said from off-camera, “Me, Linc-, Lincoln, but okay.” Sarcastic joke? Or startling lack of elementary knowledge of American history? Hard to tell…

Not really.  Had Palin actually picked someone born 20 years after the Constitution was ratified, then perhaps Mika could be credited with a bit of wit with a Lincoln pick.  I think it’s “startling lack of elementary knowledge of American history,” which prompts the question of why MS-NBC has her  chortling over Palin’s perfectly acceptable selection of Washington — known to history as The Father of His Country.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

My favorite Founding Father? No question, Stephen F. Austin, followed closely by Mirabeau B. Lamar and, of course Sam Houston.

In the last few years, however, I have begun to question whether Houston should retain our admiration since it was he who led the effort to join our Republic with the United States. But I’m sure that if he could’ve forseen the rape of the U. S. Constitution over the last 75 years, he would’ve obtained of a different view.

As to my favorite Founding Father of our adoptive country, George Washington, hands down. Without him, the brilliance, the genious, the Divine Providence that came together in that miraculous time would have gone for naught.

TXUS on January 14, 2010 at 4:58 PM

For me it’s George all the way.
He was THE rock star of his day and could have been crowned King but his country came first!
Men like him were and are rare. I have his picture in my office to bolster my resolve when hearing what bowbama is doing to our country.

faol on January 14, 2010 at 4:58 PM

I am. but shouldn’t be, amazed that the BDS has been transferred to Mr. Salin as PDS>The people who run her down and accuse her of unsubstantiated gaffes think that if they say it enough it will be true (re. alinsky). Unfortunately for all you morons that think she can’t do TV, she has a degree in journalism and has been an on-air broadcaster. How dare yo moronic idiots criticize her for following her trade. I’d like to see any of you bast***s do half as well. And, I am not particularly even a Palin fan, but I believe giving people an even break.

The fact that this thread has Palin in it and it is not written by Allahpundit but Ed Morrissy leaves me non-plussed.

My favorite founding father has to be Washington. First, he slept everywhere in New England. Second look at all the fine athletes (and entertainers) that are named Washington. He had to have some good genes.

Old Country Boy on January 14, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I agree. I’m not that big of a Palin fan either, don’t think she’s a viable candidate for president, but I’m sick of the way people treat her. Treat the woman with some respect, for God’s sake. I just love their feigned amusement at her answer. Does anybody really care about her not having every single founding fathers’ names and lives memorized right down to their time of death? Geez. All I can say is the more these arrogant jerks trash her for absolutely no reason, the more I want to support her just to spit in their eye. Joe Scarborough should know better. Back when his show first started, I enjoyed it. Now, I believe they at MSNBC have stolen his brain and replaced it with some liberal’s masquerading as a conservative.

NathanG on January 14, 2010 at 5:02 PM

The thing I find strange is the amount of test questions, dumb or otherwise, Palin seems to get. Aside from this one, what do you read, name a Supreme Court case you disagree with other than Roe v. Wade, what’s the Bush Doctine, which country is hindering our progress on the Iranian nuke issue (from O’Reilly). If I can fault Palin for one thing, it’s for always playing along. Just once I’d like to hear her get pissed and say “who gives a rat’s rear end, ask me something relevant to doing the job.”

Erich66 on January 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Washington, he grew Cannabis.

jsunrise on January 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I had hoped for far better from Ms. Palin. I was rooting for her. But now, finally, she’s in over her britches.

Vincenzo on January 14, 2010 at 3:47 PM

If it were possible to be transparently full of crap, that would explain your comment.

pugwriter on January 14, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Queenofcups 4:54– +1
Ulimatebob 4:11–Now I remember what I like about Mika-Hot and Dumb,my kinda woman.

DDT on January 14, 2010 at 5:10 PM

! However, extemporaneous speaking is not her forte.

joedoe on January 14, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Compared to who?

Itchee Dryback on January 14, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Three people may keep a secret if two of them are dead.

Benjamin Franklin

For having such a delightful way of expressing his wisdom, old Ben gets my vote.

backwoods conservative on January 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM

The Cuda was correct and for the correct reason.

Mika and Joe continue to have no clue how idiotic they appear in the echo-chamber of MSNBC.

Sapwolf on January 14, 2010 at 5:14 PM

It’s gotta be Washington. His address to the officers of the Continental Army, who were planning a revolt over lack of payment, saved our nation. In the end, it wasn’t his prepared remarks which saved the day. It was a seemingly accidental portrayal of his selflessness.

“Gentlemen,” said Washington, “you will permit me to put on my spectacles, for I have not only grown gray but almost blind in the service of my country.”

hawksruleva on January 14, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Compared to who?

Itchee Dryback on January 14, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Beck, O’Reilly, Hannity, Greta…… her new co-workers.

joedoe on January 14, 2010 at 5:15 PM

MIKA: “My favorite meat is tofu.”

Sapwolf on January 14, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Ben Franklin….

roux on January 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Erich66 on January 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Agreed. She should impose a moratorium on such questions (though I don’t think Beck was testing her in that way). But it’s a no-win situation for her. If she refuses to answer, or redirects, she looks bad (see the “what publications do you read?” comments). If she does answer, her answer gets savaged as being too simplistic.

Maybe she could start saying “My answer doesn’t matter. People who don’t like me will belittle my response regardless of its merit, and people who do like me have more important issues on their mind.”

hawksruleva on January 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Erich66 on January 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I’ve noticed that as well. She has to feel like they just pulled out a pop quiz especially for her. And, they will never let her blow off a question and move on.

joedoe on January 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM

I don’t have time to watch. Who did palin say her favorite Founding father was?

ramrants on January 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Buchanon: “He’s one of the six.”

Does Buchanon include Samuel Adams or John Dickinson? How about James Wilson or Gov. Morris? What about George Clinton and Charles Carrol? Just what narrow definition of “Founding Fathers” is he using?

pugwriter on January 14, 2010 at 5:20 PM

I watch Morning Joe off and on a lot and Squeaka most definitely said Lincoln…and her dad was sitting right across from her!

marybel on January 14, 2010 at 5:23 PM

She does need to learn a nice way to turn things around and take control.

Like this founding father question, she could have said, “That’s a tough one. Who do you like Glenn and why?”

Suddenly, Beck would have been yammering on about 1776 and she could take control of the interview.

joedoe on January 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM

If I had to pick – I would pick George Augustine Washington.

Dr Evil on January 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM

And…Mika wasn’t being sarcastic.

marybel on January 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Zbig ought to have taken Mika to the woodshed for failing to name Tadeusz Kościuszko at the very least.

ya2daup on January 14, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Washington, he grew Cannabis.

jsunrise on January 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Every now and then I come across a one dollar bill where he’s telling me that!

ya2daup on January 14, 2010 at 5:28 PM

hawksruleva on January 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Or she could just keep on keeping on. Who else could have withstood the barrage of nonsense that she has and be in the position she is in. She’s doing just fine. Does she have an idiosyncrasies? Yes, but I’ve thoroughly looked over Article Two of our Constitution and I haven’t seen anything that disqualifies a person from becoming our chief executive because of an idiosyncrasy.

pugwriter on January 14, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I watch Morning Joe a lot and it pisses me off a lot. But they have more in-depth political discussions in the morning and I don’t care for the foo foo morning shows on the other networks. Mika is a hard core liberal for the sake of being a liberal. Not much beneath the surface.

Scarborough is the one that ticks me off more often than not. He carries on like he is the last surviving conservative and rips into fellow Republicans endlessly. Then he gives all his liberal MSNBC buddies a pass.

joedoe on January 14, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Has anybody here figured that Palin is mostly having a good time doing what she’s doing the way she wants to do it. She marches to the beat of her own drum and I respect her for that.

docdave on January 14, 2010 at 5:32 PM

It’s really a shame how George’s name has been sullied by the maroons and criminals that we’ve allowed to infest Washington. To rectify this, why don’t we rename Washington DC after one of our less successful and influential Presidents? I favor “Fillmore, DC” myself!

ya2daup on January 14, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Ben Franklin….

roux on January 14, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Gotta luv the “Air Baths”!

Romeo13 on January 14, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Okay, I must be missing something. Palin said that the founding fathers worked as a group and all contributed. When pushed by Beck she named Washington. So what is wrong with any of that? Do the idiots at MSNBC have something against giving credit to all of the founders? Do they have something against Washington? Do they have no other hews to discuss?

Deanna on January 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Washington, he grew Cannabis.

jsunrise on January 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM

As did some other Founding Fathers, like Thomas Jefferson and even Ben Franklin made hemp based paper.

The Firesign Theatre did a hilarious bit on their 1975 album “Everything You Know Is Wrong!” about all of the Founders getting high. Still funny after all these years!

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM

ya2daup on January 14, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I hear you. I Do not use “Washington” when refering to the city, I just use DC. It is a disgrace to the General what that city has become.

WashJeff on January 14, 2010 at 5:36 PM

ya2daup on January 14, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Do we have to rename it after a President?

Could we just call it Sleeze City? or Porkbarrel? or Bribesville?

Romeo13 on January 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Ben Franklin, perhaps because I’ve studied him extensively. Otherwise Washington, hands down.

As to importance in our founding, the others take distant thirds, fourths, only as to importance, but the question was which was your favorite founding father, and so it is perfectly legitimate to name any of these very fine and inspiring men.

Palin nailed it IMHO, because Washington:

* #1 reason we won the war of Independence militarily.
* Stellar President.
* He set the precedent of walking away from the office, paving the way for the world’s first modern democracy.

Washington’s religious views helped him in all three. He truly is the father of our country.

Danzo on January 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Hey, guys, Washington was kind of late to the party, remember? For my money, it’s a tie between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.

manwithblackhat on January 14, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Do we have to rename it after a President?

Could we just call it Sleeze City? or Porkbarrel? or Bribesville?

Romeo13 on January 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Whore Haven?

nico on January 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Whore Haven?

nico on January 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Nah, cause at least when a Whore takes yer money, you get left with a smile on your face…

Romeo13 on January 14, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Barack Obama.

ReformedAndDangerous on January 14, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I thought Palin’s answer was perfect.

Norwegian on January 14, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I must’ve missed the joke. It’s almost as if they think she sputtered around with the ‘all of them’ comment because she couldn’t come up with a name before blurting out ‘Washington.’
Or did a guy named ‘George’ just sit around doing nothing and still winding up with a state and a district named after him, and being on the quarter and dollar bill. What am I missing?

TinMan13 on January 14, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Whore Haven?

nico on January 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Romeo13 on January 14, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Or an STD.

nico on January 14, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Madison is my favorite with Washington a close second.

Daemonocracy on January 14, 2010 at 5:53 PM

No Polish jokes.

RobCon on January 14, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Deanna on January 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Washington isn’t a “hip” answer b/c everyone knows him. Ask someone to name the best baseball player of all time and if the person says Babe Ruth, the response would be “c’mon, that’s so obvious.” It doesn’t matter if it’s probably the best answer.

The rule these days is you look good being witty, chic, and different (Madison, not Washington, Musial or Mays, not Ruth). According to the elites, Palin is just an average Jill with nothing “unique” to add; who cares whether her “obvious” answers are right. As a result, she is not worthy of her success.

Erich66 on January 14, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I don’t think of Washington as a pedestrian pick. I have him tattooed on my chest and is the only tattoo I have. It covers the name of an ex.

Contributor X on January 14, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Although I admire all of them for their vision and sacrifice, we wouldn’t be the republic we are today without George Washington. We would either be our own monarchy or a commonwealth of the UK.

We never should have won that war. It was only George Washington, a bit of luck from Mother Nature, the arrogance of the British in underestimating us, and divine providence that saved the day.

Jeff Shaara’s two book set on the American Revolution makes the Founding Fathers come to life. I highly recommend it and all of his books.

Common Sense on January 14, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Mika’s favorite vowel is Q.

What a see-you-in-tea!

omnipotent on January 14, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Contributor X

I hope you’ve learned your lesson. Find a woman with a short name.

Danzo on January 14, 2010 at 6:06 PM

ya2daup on January 14, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Great idea!

Obama, DC it is!!

jana on January 14, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Contributor X on January 14, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Though I’m not optimistic, I’m personally holding out for Obama myself.

RINO in Name Only on January 14, 2010 at 6:25 PM

The next person Palin appears with on Fox should mention to her that Mika said “Lincoln”. Then Sarah should place her palm on her forehead theatrically, roll her eyes, and groan “Just let me process this…”!

Hey Mika, process this, you phoney psuedo-intellectual.

drunyan8315 on January 14, 2010 at 6:34 PM

drunyan8315 on January 14, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Hmmm…. or…

Talk about how anything she says is disected… and then say “well, at least I didn’t say Lincoln!”

Romeo13 on January 14, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Deanna

I agree. Now it seems that these idiots just pick something that she said and laugh at it.

“Hi Glenn, Thanks for having me on the show”

Did you hear that Mika, she said “thanks”…what an idiot!! Giggle…Giggle…Giggle

This is ridiculous!! What a bunch of bottom feeders. And I have just officially lost any respect for P. Buchanan. What a bunch of losers.

Dan Pet on January 14, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Adams. The complex and interesting one. Without a doubt. But I do like the other one’s beer.

spmat on January 14, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Jefferson is my pick. Washington is too obvious. Hamilton got killed in a duel (lame!). The dude who got the U.S. Navy jump-started by kicking pirate-butt gets my pick.

Rightwingguy on January 14, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Danzo on January 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM

As I said in another thread, he turned down a chance to be a king, and our current president bows down to them.

DrAllecon on January 14, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I can’t believe I feel the need to challenge this MORONIC clip….but she did have more of an answer as to why GW was the best. And I believe she had a message in there. She said he didn’t want to serve and had to be coaxed into doing it. This is definitely a metaphor for her own story I think. It was a good answer and that clip doesnt’ show it all.

BUT AGAIN…WHY ARE WE ANALYZING THIS?????????

Dan Pet on January 14, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Lincoln? WTF? She was gonna say Clinton.:)

TheSitRep on January 14, 2010 at 6:51 PM

I don’t get it. Palin picks Washington, probably the most popular pick, and Mika giggles like Palin said something odd or totally ridiculous.

These people see every move she makes, no matter how mundane and unimportant, as utter proof she is stupid. The lack of substance in their carping on Palin just makes them look childish. I’ve seen high school girls have a more mature feuds than this. For Gods sake Mathews hated on her because of her wave!

Ampersand on January 14, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Dan Pet on January 14, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Yes, but Beck himself raised these points earlier in the interview, so its not like her saying it was original in context. And yes, I expect a presidential contender to know our history and our founders. She would have demonstrated far more gravitas if she had mentioned a couple of people (showing she knew some of the founders and was not piggy backing on Glenn’s discussion of Washington) and explained why, in her own words, Washington was her favortite. I’m sorry but this interview was not good. She didn’t clearly articulate her positions and admitted she asked her son to google the Statue of Liberty before the interview. Meh. I had hoped for better and I don’t mind being called [insert whatever] for saying so.

Firefly_76 on January 14, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Palin first answer was the best. All of them. she understands that it was a collection of very extraordinary people coming together that caused the birth of the nation. If no Washington, no country, if no jefferson, no country, no Franklin no country. If even one of the founding fathers was killed or captured during the war the USa would not be the nation it is. Palin understood it took a team. I think politicians today forget that important concept. there is no I in country.

unseen on January 14, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Rightwingguy on January 14, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I like Jefferson too. He moved on up to the east side. It took a whole lot of trying just get up that hill.

He finally got a piece of the pie…

Ampersand on January 14, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Okay, I can understand some picking Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Alexander Hamilton and a few others. But George Washington is head and shoulders above them all. Palin knew him well enough to talk about Mount Vernon…I have met Joe “I sold my soul to be on TV” Scarborough several times here in Pensacola…he would have had no clue where Washington lived or which state he represented at the Philadelphia Convention (Virginia). Someone should check his records at Pensacola Catholic High School or the University of Alabama, his GPA is probably lower than that of George W. Bush.

Sarah, my favorite is also George Washington:

Commander-in-Chief of all Colonial Forces.
Led Continential Army to victory over the British.
Presided over Philadelphia Convention drafting our Constitution abandoning the Articles of Confederation.
Only President elected to office with 100% of the electoral votes; not once but twice.
Set the precedent of the title “Mr.” President.
Was a very successful two term president.
Refused to run for a third term setting the customary policy of two terms maximum – later adopted as 22nd Amendment.

Best proof of all that George is number one: People even know the name of his wife (Martha). How many other FF’s have wife with a known name like Martha?

aigle on January 14, 2010 at 7:03 PM

John and Abigail Adams!
Thomas and Martha Jefferson!
James and Dolly Madison!

:-)

Mary in LA on January 14, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Above in reply to aigle at 7:03pm.

Mary in LA on January 14, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Washington is the only one who’s absence would have meant the failure of this miracle in it’s infancy. They all supplied intellectually and politically important contributions, but in addition to that Washington supplied the moral and physical, and miltary strength that kept them all from being hanged by the crown.

bagoh20 on January 14, 2010 at 7:14 PM

“Oh Yaz Muffy, the buffoon from Alaska picked “Washington” as her favorite founding father. What an utter moron!”

Typical. They elbow each other over some supposed intellectual “gaffe” (because we just wouldn’t understand why picking Washington is just too simplistic) and pass on one of their own picking Lincoln. Like they passed on Biden and his statement about Roosevelt in 29 going on TV to calm America about The Great Depression.

Face it, the things they rolls their eyes over that we “just don’t get” is either opinion or simply things they make up in their minds.

hawkdriver on January 14, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Mika is a Polish nickname for “nice sweater bunnies, empty head”.

gbear on January 14, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Washington, he grew Cannabis.

jsunrise on January 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM

While I would hardly deny the validity of that reasoning, I suspect a lot of the Founders who were farmers grew cannabis (although GW did take pains to separate the females from the males…hmmmmm).

But Washington was a little to stodgy for me. Give me Tom Paine or Ben Franklin…. men who knew how to throw a good party (and I don’t mean a political party :) ).

JohnGalt23 on January 14, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Thomas Jefferson, the standard-bearer of Republicanism.

The Ugly American on January 14, 2010 at 8:43 PM

This is the same woman who has Mandingo dreams about one of the White House worker-bees?

kens on January 14, 2010 at 9:04 PM

The most annoying thing was Mika’s reaction, like she was blown over by the ignorance of it all, then she lets loose with her own personal brand!

Washington, he grew Cannabis.

jsunrise on January 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Washington grew hemp, an incredibly useful plant, used for making rope, clothing, the oil could be burned and was nutritious. It does not produce THC which makes you high.

4shoes on January 14, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Stickeehands on January 14, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Apparently your thoughts are “pedestrian” for those are some (but not all) of what Palin had to say on the matter.

I was stunned to see today how her thoughtful expounding that demonstrated knowledge and contemplation over the years was turned into “she’s stoopid!” crap. Again.

KittyLowrey on January 14, 2010 at 9:15 PM

After reading McCullough’s 1776, I have to pick Washington. When Jefferson, Adams, Hancock, Franklin et al went into hiding with the other “summer soldiers and tavern patriots”, Washington was at Trenton in the face of almost-certain defeat. Among the other main founding fathers, only Hamilton and Thomas Paine were there with him. Washington may not have been an ideological purist, but he was there when it counted.

joe_doufu on January 14, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I agree. I read through the threads first to see if anybody else mentioned McCullough’s ’1776′. Without Washington’s efforts holding everything together during that year, the Revolution’s a failure.

To all HA folks – if you haven’t read 1776, do yourselves a favor and read it – outstanding! Then come back and tell us who your favorite founding father is.

PatMac on January 14, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Beck, O’Reilly, Hannity, Greta…… her new co-workers.
joedoe on January 14

Do you even know what extemporaneous means?

No? Didn’t think so.

It means being able to speak smoothly without a script or teleprompter.

Someone who can’t speak extemporaneous is someone who uses “err, ahhh, uhmmm err” when trying to put a sentence together.

Obama, comes to mind, along with his buddy Gibbs.

Without a teleprompter these guys are babbling idiots.

DSchoen on January 14, 2010 at 9:44 PM

No Polish jokes.

RobCon on January 14, 2010 at 5:54 PM

It’s too late for that.

We never should have won that war …

Common Sense on January 14, 2010 at 5:58 PM

No, we shouldn’t have. And Washington wouldn’t have won it without the help of the French.

manwithblackhat on January 14, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Sam Adams was the the man without whom this nation would not exist.Period. Mika is an idiot Buchanan does.t know his ars from a hole in the ground. Aaron Burr was one of our greatest founding fathers and was bullied by Hamilton for twelve years. Hamilton got what he deserved.

tom0508 on January 14, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Madison for his thoughts.

Washington for his actions.

jaime on January 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I’m with Jefferson on this one…

John Adams

Saltysam on January 15, 2010 at 1:04 AM

The good news?

Glenn Beck demanded she answer, he would allow her to boot the question.

Good going Glenn.

AprilOrit on January 15, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Whoops – meant to say:

The good news?

Glenn Beck demanded she answer, he would not allow her to boot the question.

Good going Glenn.

AprilOrit on January 15, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Sorry if this double posts –

Ben Franklin was in France, trying to raise money for the Revolution. He was at a swank dinner party, when a woman patted his ample belly and said “If this was on a woman, we would know what to think.”

He took a drink and said “Well, madam? An hour ago it was on a woman. Now what do you think?”

How can you not love this guy? Ben all the way.

Squiggy on January 15th, 2010 at 6:14 am

Squiggy on January 15, 2010 at 6:29 AM

what a shockah! the uberidjit Mika who spent 2008 bashing my Clintons and then Sarah is a maroon herself, good to know.

apple, tree, Zbieg….

ginaswo on January 15, 2010 at 7:38 AM

Washington: for his decision to take the fight to the British at Trenton and Princeton. If he hadn’t done that, the Revolution would have ended within a year.

In the last decade or so I have begun to understand how nasty and fierce the combat was in the Southern Colonies during The Revolutionary War and how crucial the outcomes there were to the eventual American victory. Among many who fought there, I especially admire these two commanders…

Daniel Morgan: for his battle plan and use of his forces to best advantage that resulted in his victory over Banastre Tarleton at Cowpens.

Nathanael Greene: for his strategy of drawing Cornwallis further and further from his supply bases that eventually led to the British defeat at Yorktown and for one of the greatest quotes from the Revolutionary War: ”We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again.”

ya2daup on January 15, 2010 at 8:28 AM

The American Education system at it’s funniest.

It must also be true that a polychromatic female on T.V. should keep quite until the voice at the other end of earpiece provides them a correct response.

MSGTAS on January 15, 2010 at 9:39 AM

4shoes on January 14, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Don’t bother trying to educate those potheads, 4shoes. If they had any sense, they wouldn’t be potheads.

SKYFOX on January 15, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Hats off to Mika.

At least she didn’t pick Barack Obama, the Founding Father of the ultra-modern, happy-go-lucky United Socialist States of America.

NB:

I can remember some “Lincolns” in the full list of the founding fathers. But knowing Mika*, she must really be referring to Abraham Lincoln.

* I suspect she hates the Founding Fathers: rebellious of the Establishment, scheming and war freaks against the King,, bible-thumping (In God We Trust, Ordained by God, etc.), anti-elitist, gun-totting … and therefore … no nonsense brave CONSERVATIVE men!

TheAlamos on January 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM

latest Samuel Adams biography

Winter brews. Like ‘em but not good for my Constitution. Gassy.

curved space on January 15, 2010 at 2:04 PM

I can’t stand Mika. She always comes off as though she’s the smartest one in the room. For every “smart” comment she thinks she makes, she subtracts from that every time she oozes “Oh, Willy, is it tiiiiimmee??” when tossing to Geist for his ‘News You Can’t Use’ segments. She sounds like a phone sex operator or some stupid slut, and that is particularly amusing, seeing as how she gets so morally outraged when Willie and/or Joe want to shows babes in bikinis and stuff like that.

Mika’s a loser, northeastern elitist snob.

MsUnderestimated on January 15, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Mika, what do you call that machine they use to process cow manure?

LarryG on January 15, 2010 at 3:08 PM