Video: George Phillips launches campaign to unseat Maurice Hinchey

posted at 2:55 pm on January 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Hot Air readers will understand the import of mild-mannered Republican George Phillips’ campaign launch this week in NY-22. The man currently occupying the seat, Rep. Maurice Hinchey,has “distinguished” himself over the last couple of years by claiming that George Bush let Osama bin Laden go in order to justify the war in Iraq, called for the US to nationalize the oil industry, claimed Karl Rove planted the Rathergate memos on CBS to discredit them, and talk about reimposing the Fairness Doctrine on talk radio.

That’s a great track record, if one likes to see lunacy in high public office, for a three-year span.  Hinchey has served four terms in office in this seat.  Isn’t it time for a little sanity?  You can see Phillips’ entire speech here, but this is the heart of his fiscal-responsibility platform:

Comments

So this a republican district?

BTW, I like this post, why not make it a regular thing. Feature every young( and old) conservative who’s throwing his hat into the ring, district by district, state by state.

promachus on January 14, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Seems like the people of New York would put aside their D affiliation for some good governance, especially with their budget crisis and democrat, er, I mean Republican Governor.

ReaganConservative3 on January 14, 2010 at 3:00 PM

The media will focus on the fact that he taught theology classes.
He will be regarded as unfit bcs of the ‘separation between church and state’.
Hopefully, that is all they’ll have no him.
Good luck George.

Badger40 on January 14, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Mo Hinkey is one of the crazier of the fringe left’s loony bin. Few things would give me greater pleasure than to see that Fraternity of Douchebags thrown out of office, starting with Hinkey Mo.

Jaibones on January 14, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Michael Steele will help.

dIb on January 14, 2010 at 3:03 PM

ReaganConservative3 on January 14, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I am not holding my breath city people in general who live in highly liberal cities are too stupid to understand their lost liberties.
Perhaps they don’t miss what they never had.
Easterners in general (the libs anyhow) turn my stomach. They have no idea what real life & liberty is all about.
I do hope they see the light, but I’m afraid a lot more bad things have to happen for those people to awaken.

Badger40 on January 14, 2010 at 3:03 PM

If he owns property, he better sell it quick. Otherwise, he may get totally PWNED by huffington post like they did to Brown.

/s

Joe Caps on January 14, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Good. Sane people are stepping up to run to replace the nihilist parasites that are in Congress now.

Aitch748 on January 14, 2010 at 3:06 PM

He needs a DeDe Scozzafava endorsement from not next door NY-23!! Map of NY-22

SouthernGent on January 14, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Encouraging.

OmahaConservative on January 14, 2010 at 3:07 PM

and democrat, er, I mean Republican Governor.

ReaganConservative3 on January 14, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Patterson’s no Republican, not even of the Northeastern subspecies. He’s a party machine, double quota filling Liberal Democrat that the Democrat Party tried to screw over. They say all politics is local, well in his case, it’s not just local, it’s personal. He’s just using semi conservative positions to lay the screws to those that he feels did it to him. He can’t possibly go to the left of many state Dems, so he goes to the right of them and finds himself almost a centrist. Strange bedfellows and all.

trubble on January 14, 2010 at 3:08 PM

promachus on January 14, 2010 at 3:00 PM
Redstate does this too,it does help to know who is running.

ohiobabe on January 14, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I don’t care what kind of Republican he is, because Hinchey is an America-hating communist. But with Jazz Shaw as his contact point, I have no doubt that he’s a moderate and not a conservative, and I say that with no pleasure.

Jaibones on January 14, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Uh… 08?

Abby Adams on January 14, 2010 at 3:11 PM

/s

Joe Caps on January 14, 2010 at 3:05 PM

How stuuuupid! When I lived in MA, my secretary and her toll collector husband owned 3 properties. Two were multifamily rentals they lived in and rented out to ultimately own their single family home. LOTS of people own multiple properties in MA. *insert eyeroll here*

ihasurnominashun on January 14, 2010 at 3:16 PM

promachus on January 14, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Yes, HotAir should consider an new “…of the Week” in which Conservatives running in house races are tallied and added to the list. That way we can support them individually as we get closer to November. We all know the party isn’t going to do it right….

Youngs98 on January 14, 2010 at 3:22 PM

The beginnings of a ‘surge’?

So, who’s next?

CPT. Charles on January 14, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Oh, my. This is where I started my career. For the most part they probably vote Democrat because they always have. It is a conservative area with small towns and lots of space between them. I am sure that they don’t pay that much attention to politics, but maybe after Obama, they are willing to listen to some reason. Lots of folks are most unhappy about what is going on these days. This area had lost its manufacturing base over 45 years ago. It is almost like the Rust Belt. It is a beautiful area and it was a great tourist mecca for folks from the city.

George Phillips has to get his message out there. Republicans have been so lazy about that for the longest time. This is a “teaching” moment for Republicans. Get out there and teach. This could be another pick up.

BetseyRoss on January 14, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Maurice ( the Pompatus of Love ) Hinchey is a troll’s Wet Dream: Hard Left, totally nuts, loves to hear himself rant, Obama Kool-Aid drinker, dishonest, unethical, and overall a worthless bag o’ crap

Good luck, George: You’re on the side of the angels here, but get ready for the Media Blitzkrieg of lying bitter jealous hacks

Janos Hunyadi on January 14, 2010 at 3:29 PM

ihasurnominashun on January 14, 2010 at 3:16 PM

I agree, complete with eyeroll! When I was a young spinster (I just like to say “spinster”!) living with roommates in a heavily student-infested area of Los Angeles, our landlord was a telephone lineman by trade. Not exactly upper-crust!

He and his wife owned the little four-plex where we rented. The rents from the apartments were putting their kids through college. He was a very conscientious landlord — anything that went wrong got fixed quickly, especially the phone wiring. ;-)

Mary in LA on January 14, 2010 at 3:29 PM

By George, I think he’s onto a plan of attack. Outta control spending and jobs and just concentrate on that.

Kissmygrits on January 14, 2010 at 3:30 PM

He sounds like exactly the sort of person we need to run, in pretty much every race.

Then let the chips fall where they may.

Get the professional “strategists” out of the way.

notropis on January 14, 2010 at 3:36 PM

He needs a DeDe Scozzafava endorsement from not next door NY-23!! Map of NY-22

SouthernGent on January 14, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Ah, New York. Second most Gerrymandered state in the union.

Count to 10 on January 14, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I agree with the person above who said this should become a regular feature here. I’d LOVE to see information on all the folks who are NOT getting the publicity others are in races all around this country. It could do a lot to help get conservatives in office. But don’t limit it to unknowns. After all, in some states the races are pretty well-known but nationally there isn’t much information. Scott Brown wouldn’t be doing as well as he is without a little help from the rest of the country, would he? Maybe, maybe not, either way, I’d love to see you guys put something like this together for those of us who don’t have the contacts and information you guys can get.

How ’bout it?

Mad Mad Monica on January 14, 2010 at 3:39 PM

The district Hinchey represents contains Cornell University.

Emperor Norton on January 14, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Hinchey has been a total leftwing maniac on the Financial Services Committee. He makes Maxine Waters look reasonable!

rockmom on January 14, 2010 at 3:45 PM

The district Hinchey represents contains Cornell University.

Emperor Norton on January 14, 2010 at 3:41 PM

And Binghamton University and Ithaca College. Woodstock took place there as well.

RadClown on January 14, 2010 at 3:46 PM

The 22nd District is one of the most convaluted entities that you could ever dream up. Purpose driven to include only the very left portions from several counties. The areas included have nothing to do with each other.

Consider the little chunk of Tompkins County – this is a reltively right of center county for the most part – except for the Ithaca area which leans so far to the left you might as well consider them horizontal and laying on their left side. They love Hinchey and can’t understand why the rest of the area thinks that he’s a wacked out Moonbat. (Well, I gess its cuz weer just dum ass rednicks – not edumacated Cornell tipes like that Olberman guy. Duh.)

I’m sure he’ll be attacked without hesitation by the Ithaca Urinal…uh, “Journal”. Same company owns most of the papers in the district.

keyboarddude on January 14, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Republicans should learn from Brown, and start doing money bombs.

Iblis on January 14, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Hinchey is going to take a beating across the Southern Tier of NY as he’s going to catch the bullet over the loss of the Presidential Helicopter contract, which has had a major impact in the local community with well over 1000 jobs lost.

Hammerhead on January 14, 2010 at 4:11 PM

I have had the pleasure of having Mo Hinchey be my congressman for a long time – much more than four terms as he won this seat almost 20 years ago – only the number on the district has changed. His district has been gerrymandered like most of NY. The lines are drawn to maximize democrat (very liberal) numbers by giving them just enough help to win handily while conservative district – the few that there are are overwhelming.
Hinchey is the worst person representing me – and when you look at the list Shumer, Gillibrand, Paterson etc. – that says something.
If I was wealthy, rather than busted in the depressed southern tier of NY – I would have run against him. Hinchey is a bum – maybe someday I will tell you how I really feel!

StuckinliberalNY on January 14, 2010 at 4:18 PM

So you’re saying a one-eyed frog riding a flying unicorn could get elected now, is that it?

Blacksmith8 on January 14, 2010 at 4:18 PM

He needs a DeDe Scozzafava endorsement from not next door NY-23!! Map of NY-22

SouthernGent on January 14, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Looks winnable for a Republican–part of the Hudson Valley, lots of farm country in between, but gerrymandered to include Ithaca and lots of lefty students at Cornell. It would be interesting to see closer whether it includes West Point!

Steve Z on January 14, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Hinchey has served four terms in office in this seat.

Ed, I believe it is more like 9 terms that Hinchey has been in office. I remember his getting elected first time in 1992 when I was living in his newly gerrymandered district.

simkeith on January 14, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Easterners in general (the libs anyhow) turn my stomach.

Badger40 on January 14, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Hey! Some of us are fighting the good fight.

UltimateBob on January 14, 2010 at 5:02 PM

There are 8 New York congressional districts represented by Democrats which are considered to be “in play” by political analysts on the left (Cook) and the right (Richard Baehr of American Thinker.). They are: 1,13,19,20,23,24,25,29. This is not one of them. This is a D+6, which means the district has voted 6 percentage points greater for the Dem presidential candidate than the national average in the last couple of presidential campaigns. (So probably around 59% voted Obama in ’08.)

I would imagine Hinchey’s extremist rhetoric excites the kooks in Ithaca and Binghamton.

I want to contribute to as many races as possible, but unless Hinchey shows some polling weakness, I would rather contribute to Republicans running in stronger districts. You have to make the best use of your resources.

chris999 on January 14, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Jazz Shaw is helping run his campaign. See the contact information on his website.

Jimbo3 on January 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Then let the chips fall where they may.

Get the professional “strategists” out of the way.

notropis on January 14, 2010 at 3:36 PM

–So you think this type of guy should be running in Massachusetts?

Jimbo3 on January 14, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Easterners in general (the libs anyhow) turn my stomach.

Badger40 on January 14, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Because the Republican party ceded the cities and the coasts to the Dems, a doctrinaire marxist-leninist was able to grab power in the US. Clueless conservatives waged a culture war that left urban libertarians out in the cold.

modifiedcontent on January 14, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Hey Jazz Shaw resembles that remark. LOL

Sorry Jazz, I couldn’t help myself.

But seriously folks, Binghamton and the rest of Broome County used to be a seriously conservative, back when there were some large high tech companies there who employed educated, highly technical people. But since the 90′s, when companies like IBM, Singer-Link, GE, GAF all either left the area or shut down, the educated professionals have been replaced by folks from New York city, and the area looks like a welfare state now.

Ithaca is another story. Think liberal college town. I don’t think a Republican could get elected for anything in the People’s Republic of Ithaca.

Hinchey is from the Hudson Valley, and that seems to be the base for his support, in this bizarrely gerrymandered district.

simkeith on January 14, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Credentials for dumping Hinchey – carries gun though airport – no charges – forgot I had it in my bag – very anti gun for everyone else, contributed big funds to get his district saved in gerrymander after 2000 census, divorces wife (couldn’t be sane woman married to him) to marry his secretary/assistant, I could go on but there is too much to mention. He doesn’t even bring home the bacon, but votes for everyone elses. During his time in congress – incomes in his district have fallen in real dollars – not just in inflation adjusted – Why? The Southern Tier of NY was once a vibrant base of business and was a small silicon valley. Now it is mostly wasteland, a place to dump sex offenders, downstate welfare cases, and parolees.
He is disgusting and must be defeated. Virtually all of his opponants in the last 10 years quit before the election due to no money, no party support and losing faith.
Maybe better this time???

StuckinliberalNY on January 14, 2010 at 9:06 PM

ihasurnominashun on January 14, 2010 at 3:16 PM

I bought my first house from a plumber. Dinky little rowhouse in Grey’s Ferry neighborhood of Philadelphia. 1979. $18,000.

YehuditTX on January 15, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Virtually all of his opponants in the last 10 years quit before the election due to no money, no party support and losing faith. Maybe better this time???

Now that every election can be nationalized via the internet, this next time can be very different. We are getting very good at bypassing the MSM and national Party apparatus to get money and publicity and labor right to the candidate.

YehuditTX on January 15, 2010 at 1:01 AM

YehuditTX on January 15, 2010 at 1:01 AM

The National party, internet and other methods have not yet been tried here. Hinchey won even in 94 with the Contract. He will have more problems this time – maybe. The job losses here have been horrific and the bankruptcies and foreclosures are growing. This area has not recovered from the downturn in 90/91 since taxes and red tape discourage new business. Why would anyone with a brain want to put up with FED NYS and local governments to do business here that can be done anywhere. I can cite specific examples – here is just one – a manufacturing company discharges water to the Susquahanna river – the restriction on what can be discharged on Industry (only) are such that the municipal drinking water is not clean enough. Opening the drinking water hose to the river is in violation of the EPA/DEC rules. That company no longer buys the municipal water or discharges to the river. You will never guess why.

StuckinliberalNY on January 15, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Jaibones on January 14, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Bones – If you listened to Jazz and I on Saturdays you would realize that he is more conservative than he lets on here (sorry old man but your secret is out). He IS however quite the contrarian and he does not often let ANYONE’s talking points go unchallenged.

Yeah he and I disagree on some of the social issues, but I can’t think of anyone better to have in my corner if I were running for office.

Good luck to George and to Jazz.

LL

Lady Logician on January 15, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Yes, but if he wins will he transform into the Republican circa 2006 or does he really mean it when he calls for fiscal responsibility? What proof do we have? Too many burn scars after taking Republicans on “faith”.

SKYFOX on January 15, 2010 at 10:39 AM

The R’s run the best looking people. He needs a little punch and fire in his speaking tho, zzz.

leftnomore on January 15, 2010 at 2:52 PM