Police unions endorse Brown over AG Coakley

posted at 10:55 am on January 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

When unions endorse a Republican over a Democrat in any race these days, it’s news.  When two police unions in Massachusetts endorse Scott Brown over Attorney General Martha Coakley, the state’s highest ranking law-enforcement officer, it should be a big signal to voters (via Michelle and Ben in New England):

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Scott Brown yesterday accepted the endorsement of the Police Department’s two major unions [in Worcester].

Local 911, New England Police Benevolent Association, and Local 504, International Brotherhood of Police Officers, handed their endorsement to the state senator. The endorsement comes one day after a debate in which Mr. Brown and his main opponent, Democrat Attorney General Martha Coakley, squared off. The special election to fill the seat formerly held by Sen. Edward M. Kennedy will be held Tuesday.

Sgt. Donald E. Cummings, president of Local 504, said Mr. Brown’s service in the National Guard shows that he knows the threat of terrorism is real, and understands the role public safety personnel play in protecting residents.

Stephen Gunnerson, president of Local 911 patrolmen’s union, called Mr. Brown a “tireless advocate for public safety.” He cited Mr. Brown’s support for Jessica’s Law and Haley’s Bill and his support for sex offender and CORI reform.

In a rather interesting twist, the IBPO is an affiliate of the SEIU — not normally known for its pro-Republican tendencies.  In fact, its president, Andy Stern, visits the White House on a weekly basis.  The SEIU has been lobbying to pass the very bill Brown says he’ll oppose when he gets to the Senate, hoping to be the 41st vote against cloture and the man who can end the government takeover of health care.  An endorsement of Brown seems to be a repudiation of both Coakley and the parent union’s political ambitions at the same time.

This is Worcester, and some may wonder whether this is a bastion of conservative thought.  It wasn’t for Coakley in her last election.  In 2006, while winning her race for the AG spot handily over her GOP opponent, Coakley got over 30,000 votes in Worcester, while Larry Frisoli got less than 10,000 — about the same percentage as the vote went across the state.  The MA-03 Congressional district, in which Worcester sits, is so safe for Democrats that Rep. Jim McGovern ran unopposed in the last two elections.  It’s a very safe Democratic area … until now.

But the worst part of all is that law-enforcement unions have rejected Coakley.  One would expect police officers to trust an AG — if the the AG in question performed well.  While the unions are smart enough not to criticize Coakley in public (after all, they’ll be stuck with her if she loses the election), their endorsement of Brown is an obvious slap in the face to the person who sits atop the law-enforcement chain of command in the state.  They’re calling Brown a “tireless advocate of public safety,” which is supposed to be Coakley’s current job.  In effect, they’re giving her a very public “good, solid B-plus” for her efforts, in the most ironic sense possible.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I would love it if the “fevah” that is seemingly sweeping across Massachusetts and other parts of the nation might spread here – to NEW YORK!

Go Scott Brown!

J.J. Sefton on January 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Irony of Ironies is that Martha is married to a Cambridge Cop. I think he might be retired.

Rich on January 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM

It doesn’t hurt that he absolutely destroyed Coakley in the debate. I think the debate was the turning point. Nobody could have possibly spun that debate in favor of Coakley and Brown totally owned the moderator.

MobileVideoEngineer on January 14, 2010 at 11:46 AM

When I first clicked on the video clip on HA showing this debate, not knowing who Coakley was, I thought Coakley was a guy since Brown was having a heated debate with the moderator.

Electrongod on January 14, 2010 at 11:53 AM

*sabot round*

Ted, please explain that to us non-military types. Does a Sabot round cost $35?

ConservativeTony on January 14, 2010 at 11:55 AM

I gotta say, even if Brown loses, these daily little surprises have got to be cause for underwear changes throughout the Democratic caucus. It’s showing that the usual suspects are not lockstep with the party in a race that should have been nothing more than a formality.

I’ll close with this one observation. An AG who spends her time tracking down gangs of gardeners instead of gangs of drug dealers shouldn’t expect the cops’ endorsement. Particularly when she belongs to the party that called the Cambridge police stupid.

highhopes on January 14, 2010 at 11:56 AM

How’s that Beer Summit workin for ya, libwits?

notagool on January 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Rich on January 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Well, clearly he chose stupidly!

highhopes on January 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Why Scott Brown is Competitive in the Massachusetts Senate Race
| Robert Schlesinger in US News & World report.

OmahaConservative on January 14, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Well, clearly he chose stupidly!

highhopes on January 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I love Conservative humor. Nicely done. +1000

ConservativeTony on January 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM

When I was in NH I told people, “Ohio has an actual city called Wooster, Worcester should not be pronounced like Wooster.”

MobileVideoEngineer on January 14, 2010 at 11:06 AM
Actually the people who live there call it something closer to “Wistah.”

rockmom on January 14, 2010 at 11:32 AM

You’ve got that right! Wistah in the hills, Glawsta (Gloucester) on the sea, Hahvid in between, nowhey to pahk yaw cah on Cape Cad. Still, hope that Brown can get “maw than hoff” the votes!

Steve Z on January 14, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Rep. Jim McGovern

McGovern = FARC sympathizing commie traitor scum.

If Brown is doing well in a district that reelects that filth to congress every 2 years, stick a fork in Coakley she’s done.

elduende on January 14, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Martha’s new campaign slogan: Tora, tora, tora

OmahaConservative on January 14, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Maybe if Obamao invites the policemen to the Whitehouse for a beer, they’ll change their endorsement to the correct party and stop being so stupid.

txdoc on January 14, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Please send Scott money!
OmahaConservative on January 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I know I sound like a broken record here, but…
OmahaConservative on January 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM

You do, but I happen to like the tune so play on.

It is important to note that the police unions in Massachusett(e)s are particularly strong. For example, you wouldn’t think of starting road work, even for something as simple as tree trimming without having an officer on traffic detail with you at $45+ per hour. They say it’s for public safety… It really is a sacred (cash) cow.

Also, Brown has a new radio spot going. It is a response to the relentless negative ads that Coakley, et al are running. His two daughters narrate. They did a great job. A rebuttal without being negative.

turfmann on January 14, 2010 at 12:13 PM

*sabot round*
Ted, please explain that to us non-military types. Does a Sabot round cost $35?

ConservativeTony on January 14, 2010 at 11:55 AM

the guy that sent it was “tank_killer”—and he sent $35 downrange. Sabot rounds are fired by tanks, and can destroy tanks. They cost more than $35. Then again, so do Democrats.

ted c on January 14, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Well, clearly he chose stupidly!

highhopes on January 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM

haha

I wonder if he pushes reporters around like the rest of her guy friends do.

ted c on January 14, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I’ve only been to Worcester a few times, but don’t they have a UMass branch and a few other colleges? I know Holy Cross is the major college, but I thought they had quite a few schools for a city their size.

MobileVideoEngineer on January 14, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Yeah, besides Holy Cross there are Clark, Worcester Poly, and Worcester State. Also Assumption, which has an even larger campus than Holy Cross does.

Del Dolemonte on January 14, 2010 at 12:34 PM

The only reason Coakley has for anyone to vote for her is that she thinks she is “smarter than everybody else”. Why can’t these libs face reality?

volsense on January 14, 2010 at 12:37 PM

turfmann on January 14, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Finally. What the people really want.

OmahaConservative on January 14, 2010 at 12:42 PM

!!!OUCH!!!

Oh yeah, now that’s definitely gonna leave mark.

That’ s not just a slap in the face, that’s getting B*&%h-slapped!

Archimedes on January 14, 2010 at 12:55 PM

I’m Massachusetts born, but raised in Pennsylvania, which is probably why I’m missing the accent and the liberialism (thank God). However, since I’m a glutton for political frustration, I went to Worcester Polytech and now live in Boston. I must say that the last time I’ve felt energy like this was when the Sox won the World Series in 2004.

It is very frustrating at times (well…all the time basically) being a young conservative in the cesspool of liberals. Though it’s times like right now…with the energy and excitement for Scott Brown…that make it worth living here (I guess I enjoy being the underdog).

I have spoken with many of my young (20-something) liberals friends and the vast majority are either for Brown or not voting at all. This has never happened since I’ve been here and it gives me confidence that we have a shot at this.

I’ll be volunteering all weekend…and…of course…voting on Tuesday! Go Scott Brown!

MattyIce17 on January 14, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Another Bush/Lieberman candidate. Anyone who believes this phony liberty posturing at this point gets what they deserve.

The Dean on January 14, 2010 at 11:39 AM

You again?!? I’m amazed you have the gall to show your face around here, Mr. “Hitler did some bad things probably.” I could never take anything you say seriously again after that gaffe, and I doubt anybody else around here can either. You’re laughable.

Mary in LA on January 14, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Martha’s new campaign slogan: Tora, tora, tora

OmahaConservative on January 14, 2010

The article claims that Tora, tora, tora translates to attack, attack, attack.
I thought it translated to tiger, tiger, tiger and was a code phrase radio’d to begin the attack. Did the Military Channel lie to me?

SKYFOX on January 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Mary in LA on January 14, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I went back to that link and found the following gem.

Thank you. Buchanan finally tells the truth that the U.S. and the Allies were the aggressors in WWII. Very good piece.
Now, Hitler was not a good guy. But that doesn’t change the facts on the ground.
The Dean on September 2, 2009 at 12:00 PM

At least he does say that “Hitler was not a good guy”. I guess old Adolph was “nuanced”.

SKYFOX on January 14, 2010 at 1:52 PM

The White House has just issued a statement: The police unions are acting stupidly.

RightWinged on January 14, 2010 at 1:53 PM

ted c on January 14, 2010 at 12:20 PM

The M1 Abrams is a smoothbore. Does the sabot help stabilize the round or is it only there to fill the bore?
Pardon my ignorance but I was a clerk-typist in a HAWK missile group and the Abrams didn’t even exist when I served.

SKYFOX on January 14, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Does the sabot help stabilize the round or is it only there to fill the bore?

Fills the bore. Basically, both he sabot and the round exit the barrel, the sabot seperates and falls away, while the round continues.

It comes in a few varieties.

reaganaut on January 14, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Maybe the police should go knock on Meehan’s door and rattle his cage a little. Put a stop to this nonsense before someone gets hurt.

Kissmygrits on January 14, 2010 at 3:51 PM

MattyIce17 on January 14, 2010 at 1:09 PM

It’s people like you who are going to win this. HA posters need to send in $17.76 (at least) to Brown’s campaign. I know he’s not a 10/10 as a conservative but he will turn the takeover-of-medicine beast around.

I was a tank commander on the M1A1. Think of a sabot round as a very fast dart going about a mile a second. It hits with such speed and force that very bad things happen on the receiving end. This shows a cutaway view.

Mojave Mark on January 14, 2010 at 8:59 PM