Video: Coakley associate shoves Weekly Standard reporter; Update: Photo of assailant

posted at 8:48 am on January 13, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

What is it about my friend John McCormack and campaign panic? He’s actually one of the nicest, mild-mannered people you’d ever want to meet, and yet for the second time in three months, John finds himself at the center of controversy. But at least with Dede Scozzafava, she didn’t have campaign thugs rough him up:

After Coakley finished her answer, she began walking away from the restaurant, and I walked behind her asking why health care industry lobbyists were supporting her at the fundraiser. She didn’t reply.

As I walked down the street, a man who appeared to be associated with the Coakley campaign pushed me into a freestanding metal railing. I ended up on the sidewalk. I was fine. He helped me up from the ground, but kept pushing up against me, blocking my path toward Coakley down the street.

He asked if I was with the media, and I told him I work for THE WEEKLY STANDARD. When I asked him who he worked for he replied, “I work for me.” He demanded to see my credentials, and even though it was a public street, I showed them to him.

John has a good idea who the thug might be, but I’ll let you check out his post at TWS for that twist. Irony alert: it might be the man sent by the DSCC to help with “messaging.” I guess he’s on the job, huh?

Needless to say, just as with Scozzafava calling the cops on John, this overreaction appears to come from a sense of panic. Martha Coakley spent all day yesterday with lobbyists trying desperately to raise money as her campaign sinks in Massachusetts, or as Coakley’s campaign puts it, Massachusettes. John, who is a credentialed reporter with a legitimate media outlet, asked her questions that Coakley should have answered, even with a “No comment.” The fact that people who work either for or with the state’s Attorney General feel free to commit assault and battery on a reporter should tell Massachusetts voters all they need to know about Coakley and her views on public accountability.

Every reporter should be outraged at this treatment — and someone needs to get booked for battery.

Update: Here’s a pretty good photo of the assailant:

Say, doesn’t he look an awful lot like this guy (on the right)?

That would be Michael Meehan of Blue Line Strategic Communications, who has worked for John Kerry, Maria Cantwell, and was sent to Massachusetts by the DSCC to handle “messaging” for Coakley.

You know, a state Attorney General should be the person to enforce the law — especially, as this photo shows, she witnessed the assault and battery …

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Look at the comments regarding Coakley in the BOSTON GLOBE – the paper that SUPPORTS her. Of course, they are ignoring the Assault and Battery incident, but judging from the comments of a Feel Good story about her, she does not have the support of the people.

Jimmy Doolittle on January 13, 2010 at 8:00 PM

You showed him your credentials when he demanded them?
You should have said,’sure’ kicked him in the blog, then said, “youse want my credentials? I’ll show you my credentials.”

lizzee on January 13, 2010 at 8:11 PM

MSM folks have no conscience. The silence in the face of a blatant battery on another member of the press is deafening declaration of journalistic malpractice.

bayview on January 13, 2010 at 8:24 PM

What is kind of amusing about this is that the whole thing is just like the Democratic plan. Push you down, and then try to help you up. All that gets reported is them trying to help you up after you fell.

Life imitates, well, Life

WoosterOh on January 13, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Damn I hope she loses. I hope she loses by three or more points. I also hope that Meehan gets a taste of what he’s dishing out.

trapeze on January 13, 2010 at 8:44 PM

WoosterOh on January 13, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Well put. The assault and battery is a microcosm of the Democrat party. They keep pushing us down, act as though they are simply a bystander, and then cynically offer to “help” us up. This event could be a metaphor for the 2010 election.

Mojave Mark on January 13, 2010 at 11:06 PM

This thug is….surprise! an Obama appointee!

Michael P. Meehan, Member, Broadcasting Board of Governors
Michael P. Meehan currently serves as President of Blue Line Strategic Communications, Inc. and as Senior Vice President at Virilion, a digital media company. For over two decades, Meehan served in senior roles for U.S. Senators John Kerry, Barbara Boxer, Maria Cantwell and former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, two presidential campaigns, two U.S. House offices and congressional campaigns in 25 states. Mr. Meehan earned a B.A. in political science from Bates College.

gordo on January 14, 2010 at 1:15 AM

WASHINGTON – Today, President Barack Obama announced his intent to nominate the following individuals to the Broadcasting Board of Governors:

Walter Isaacson, Chair, Broadcasting Board of Governors
Michael Lynton, Member, Broadcasting Board of Governors
Susan McCue, Member, Broadcasting Board of Governors
Michael P. Meehan, Member, Broadcasting Board of Governors
President Obama said, “I am grateful that these distinguished individuals will be a part of this vital agency that has done so much to promote freedom and democracy around the world. I look forward to working with them in the months and years ahead.”

Yeah, he’s doing a bang-up job promoting freedom and democracy so far.

gordo on January 14, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Life imitates, well, Life

WoosterOh on January 13, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Worth repeating… right on Target.

ronnyraygun on January 14, 2010 at 6:55 AM

gordo on January 14, 2010 at 1:18 AM

And we need to stay on top of this until the Senate goes through the approval process. Encourage your Senator to NOT let this Thug anywhere near a position of power in Washington.

ronnyraygun on January 14, 2010 at 7:00 AM

The important lesson here is that when some Progressive Thug hands you a “Punch Me in the Face for Free Card“… you need to use it right then and there. Meehan is lucky he isn’t drinking his breakfast through a feeding tube this morning.

ronnyraygun on January 14, 2010 at 7:18 AM

Every reporter citizen should be outraged at this treatment — and someone needs to get booked for battery.

Alot of squishy’s said the exact same thing during the 30′s in Austria until it was too late. This guy needs to have the crap beat out of him.

peacenprosperity on January 14, 2010 at 7:35 AM

Please donate to Scott Brown. Let’s take back MassachussetEs.

OmahaConservative on January 14, 2010 at 9:09 AM

If I hadn’t known better, I would have thought the incident occurred in Berlin. It’s comforting, too, to know their goons have degrees.

LarryG on January 14, 2010 at 2:19 PM