Reid: Doc-fix? What doc-fix?

posted at 2:55 pm on January 13, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

There’s disingenuousness, and then … there’s Harry Reid. Six days ago, after Reid attempted to rally the faithful at UNLV to support ObamaCare, he got asked about the parallel attempt to rescind deep cuts to Medicare reimbursements, promised by Democrats to the AMA in exchange for their support. The Nevada News Bureau has the audio and the transcript:

Listen to the audio of the question(s) about Medicare cuts and Senator Reid’s answers from Thursday night here. Following is the transcript (Reid was exiting the auditorium so the audio contains background noise):

Q: Isn’t it true that if the doctor’s fix for Medicare reimbursements for doctors is taken out of the bill that all of the budget savings would disappear? And that there’s already pending legislation to do that – to reverse that?

Senator Reid: No, because we pay for that. It’s going to be something we’re paying for.

Q: But it’s included in the bill, and that’s part of the CBO scoring for that savings.

Reid: Our bill has nothing in it for the doctors.

Q: It doesn’t reduce, the twenty, the reimbursements to Medicare doctors by 21%?

Reid: Anything we do for the doctors is going to be paid for. We disagree with the House.

Q: Okay. But it does not reduce the Medicare reimbursements to doctors, your bill?

Reid: No. Nothing, there’s nothing, there’s not. And the doctors endorsed our bill because they know we’re going to do something to take care of them. The AMA endorsed our bill.

To make this clear, the reimbursement cuts are already law.  Congress has done this before; they pass cuts to reimbursements that take effect in the future, and then rescind them under pressure from the medical industry.  However, Reid wrote the Senate bill under the assumption that the cuts will take place, and reported the bill to the CBO as such.  That allowed Reid to argue that the bill won’t impact the deficit.

However, at the same time, Reid promised to rescind the cuts in a separate bill — the Doctor Fix — which the House has already passed.  That would cost $210 billion over the next ten years and blow a big hole in the ObamaCare financials.  Reid failed to get it passed, however, and has flip-flopped on the rescinding of the cuts a number of times.

The doctors support the bill because they know that Congress will eventually rescind the cuts; otherwise, providers will follow the example set by Mayo and simply stop treating Medicare patients.  When Congress rescinds the cuts, ObamaCare becomes a deficit-expanding program.  Harry Reid’s double-talk should be a giant red flag for anyone interested in honest government, fiscal responsibility, or both.

Comments

Side note:

Can somebody clue me in as exactly when, where, and for what purpose that Reid picture was taken? Why such a face?

Sir Napsalot on January 13, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Dingy harry is lower than pond scum.

OmahaConservative on January 13, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Sir Napsalot on January 13, 2010 at 2:59 PM

`
He was having a staring/blinking contest with Nancy Pelosi. He would stop staring when she stopped blinking.

CBP on January 13, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Shell games.
And the truth is still ever elusive.
Talking out of both sides of their mouths.
That is what politicians are best at.

Badger40 on January 13, 2010 at 3:00 PM

You lie! In related news, dolphins can swim.

GnuBreed on January 13, 2010 at 3:02 PM

So is the plan for them to ram this through and just hope that no one notices the higher taxes, reduced access to health care, and even larger deficits?

Doughboy on January 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Why such a face?

Sir Napsalot on January 13, 2010 at 2:59 PM

He drank from the wrong Cup of Christ.

WashJeff on January 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Isn’t that much more accurate?

Juno77 on January 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Dingy harry is lower than pond scum.

OmahaConservative on January 13, 2010 at 3:00 PM

At least the slime in pond scum contains bacteria that’s actually useful and productive. Reid is more like a tick or flea.

Monica on January 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Sir Napsalot on January 13, 2010 at 2:59 PM

This is a glamour shot.

lorien1973 on January 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Harry, Harry, Harry, we are all NOT tourists that will blindly play a game of $2 trillion dollar 3 card monty. Enjoy your retirement. On second thought NOT!

Deckard on January 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Side note:

Sir Napsalot on January 13, 2010 at 2:59 PM

OT but you have one of the funniest names on here. I smile every time I see your screen name.

Monica on January 13, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Harry talks out his arse cause his mouth knows better…

SHARPTOOTH on January 13, 2010 at 3:05 PM

He is about the lowest form of life on the planet…my apologies to bacteria…

PatriotRider on January 13, 2010 at 3:08 PM

So, Reid is a proven, certified, blatant liar

another Dog Bites Man story………….

Breaking news: The sky is blue; Winter is cold; gravity weighs you down

Janos Hunyadi on January 13, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Doughboy on January 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM

That is the Turd cake they are baking.

Basil Fawlty on January 13, 2010 at 3:11 PM

OT but fun — AP is reporting that the guy shoved to the ground while Coakley watched ‘stumbled’ and was helped by Meehan?

GnuBreed on January 13, 2010 at 3:11 PM

I think the proper word is — LIE!

tarpon on January 13, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Side note:

Sir Napsalot on January 13, 2010 at 2:59 PM

It was shortly before Harry tricked Malfoy into freeing him, I believe.

Asher on January 13, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Reid: Doc-fix? What doc-fix?

Nevada voters, November 2010: “Harry who?”

UltimateBob on January 13, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I am a doctor…and let me tell you, most doctors DO NOT support the bill. Even within the AMA, there is a huge fight going on between the leadership and members. I would bet almost anything that about half of AMA members (who only make up a third of all doctors in the US) are for the Obamacare bill.

neoavatara on January 13, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Congress Daily is reporting that union lobbyists on Capitol Hill today scored a tentative deal that would exempt “collectively bargained healthcare plans” from the so-called Cadillac Tax on high-cost policies.

As The American Spectator’s Philip Klein notes, this means that two Americans receiving identical health-care benefits could be taxed differently if one happened to be a member of a union and the other not.

NRO.

Slightly OT, but relevant. So they have to find taxes elswhere to make up for what they’re not collecting on the union plans.

May be an Equal Protection problem here, too.

Wethal on January 13, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Monica on January 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I vote for tapeworm, since its exit is from the area of the body that best describes this whole mess.

kringeesmom on January 13, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I think we should be able to use a buzzer, a la Family Feud, everytime these crooks blatantly lie to us. Granted, we would wear out the buzzers quickly, but it would be satisfying to watch them try to finish a sentence before getting buzzed.

search4truth on January 13, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I can’t wait to see the kissers on all of these people next Wednesday morning. I really can’t.

LibTired on January 13, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Ok, ok, I got it.

/note to self: don’t ask this crowd for any clues

Sir Napsalot on January 13, 2010 at 3:19 PM

In Texas, the AMA represents less than 20 percent of the physicians. And Perry is practically campaigning on stopping ObamaCare at the State border.

Marcus on January 13, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Given that they have just struck a deal to exempt unions from the cadillac health plan tax, where will they get the additional needed funding from for socialized medicine?

Vashta.Nerada on January 13, 2010 at 3:20 PM

no worries, dear leader along with the rest of the(D)s will rally around him once again!

cmsinaz on January 13, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Ok, ok, I got it.

/note to self: don’t ask this crowd for any clues

Sir Napsalot on January 13, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Sorry, we will let you go back to sleep.

WashJeff on January 13, 2010 at 3:21 PM

May be an Equal Protection problem here, too.

Wethal on January 13, 2010 at 3:14 PM

I think there will be many lawsuits if this piece of crap is shoved down our throats.

txag92 on January 13, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Monica on January 13, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Thank you, meow.

Sir Napsalot on January 13, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Vashta.Nerada on January 13, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Don’t be silly. They’ll just tax everyone else’s health care even more.

BTW, I knew the Dems would exempt the unions. But do they not understand how much more they just screwed themselves? The vast majority of Americans don’t belong to a union.

Doughboy on January 13, 2010 at 3:23 PM

CMS has already updated the 2010 Relative Value Units (RVUs)used to calculate work, malpractice, etc. adjustments to the various CMS physician fee schedules, which should result in only very minor adjustments. However, The “Medicare fee schedule” cuts have been delayed by Congress until March 1 when the various 2010 geographic area-specific Conversion Factors are slated to be reduced around 21%. Interesting timing…

Tongueboy on January 13, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Keeping up w/ all these numbers and shell games is making my head explode. These politicians are unreal. Not only the corruption, but the complexity of the corruption. No wonder we need some average small business and average citizen types who know how to balance a simple budget in charge.

EPIC. FAIL.

davek70 on January 13, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Will someone PLEEEAAASSSE give this guy a prune? He looks really constipated.

PappaMac on January 13, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Well the die is set. If Conservatives take over they can now tax Union Healthcare plans at 350%.

barnone on January 13, 2010 at 3:30 PM

If only we could replace him with a used car salesman. That would cause the honesty quotient in Congress to go up.

rbj on January 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM

If the medicare cuts go into effect at the end of February like they are supposed to, Medicine as YOU know it will cease to exist. This will be the nail in the coffin of YOUR Dr and YOUR Hospital.

Redglen on January 13, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Can we just skip ahead to convening a grand jury to get some RICO indictments? Honestly, every time one of these clowns ‘splains something, it’s the lying and corruption that stands out. They’re practically begging to be indicted, tried, convicted and imprisoned.

ya2daup on January 13, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Deckard on January 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Unfortunately, he will.

Midas on January 13, 2010 at 3:38 PM

In 2000 Time Warner CEO Gerald Levin engineered the $14 billion buyout of AOL.
Many regard this as the worst corporate boondoggle of all time.

Harry Reid is the Gerald Levine of our government. A man waaay over his head and is selling our government down the road.

Today Levine is repentant, I doubt Reid has the capacity to comprehend at any time in the future the stupidity he is engaged in today.

FireBlogger on January 13, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Vashta.Nerada on January 13, 2010 at 3:20 PM

They have?!??!? WTF?!??!?!

Midas on January 13, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Is Harry Reid considered a Mormon in good standing? Serious question for any in-the-know LDS who may be around. No follow up point from me. Have just been wondering about that.

splink on January 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM

He is as good a Mormon as Richard Nixon was a Quaker or John F. Kennedy a Catholic.

sabbahillel on January 13, 2010 at 3:40 PM

txag92 on January 13, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I have no confidence that anything would come of those. Hell, we can’t get action on open voter fraud, financial fraud, and more on the part of these politicians to begin with.

Midas on January 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Unions to be exempted.

CBP on January 13, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Vashta.Nerada on January 13, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Start bumping up taxes for the evil rich and work back down through the income levels, ‘natch!

ya2daup on January 13, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Unions to be exempted.

CBP on January 13, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Midas on January 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Were politicians always this corrupt or are we just hearing more about their slimy deals because of blogs?

scalleywag on January 13, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Motherf@#$ers. I know I can’t say what I’m thinking, so let me just ask – how much of this bulls@#$ are we supposed to take?Midas on January 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM

All of it I think. At least thats what our duly elected overlords have in mind.

Aviator on January 13, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I mean, seriously, when does some nut get so fed up with this criminal stealing their family’s hard-earned money that they just choke this crook out? I can actually see that happening. I personally pray for their infirmity every night. Eh, that, and VOTE is all I’m prepared to do.

marklmail on January 13, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Unions to be exempted.

CBP on January 13, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Of course they are. So is Congress.

scalleywag on January 13, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Midas on January 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE, except for here???

RICO investigations long overdue here folks!!!!!

huskerdiva on January 13, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Unions to be exempted.

CBP on January 13, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Midas on January 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I just wonder if this has anything to do with the pow wow the dems had with Obama at the WH this morning.

milwife88 on January 13, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Unions to be exempted.

CBP on January 13, 2010 at 3:42 PM

“Let me be clear. I you make under $250,000, you will not see any increase in your taxes”.
What he failed to mention is that you need to find a job that is unionized.

Electrongod on January 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM

The man is either a liar or stupid…I personally believe both are true.

JIMV on January 13, 2010 at 4:40 PM

We have to consider something…when Reid is history next November, Chuckie Schumer wants the job….would you buy a used car from that man?

JIMV on January 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Side note:

Sir Napsalot on January 13, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Isn’t that how he always looks?

Ann on January 13, 2010 at 4:43 PM

The whole “ObamaCare” financial package is smoke and mirrors. Were the true cost to come out, Barry would be faced with saying that he’s signing a bill that violates his first promise that it would be deficit neutral.

Not that Barry cares about “promises”.

GarandFan on January 13, 2010 at 5:23 PM

So approximately 1/6th of the doctors in the US support the government taking over 1/6th of the economy?

Awesome. Simply AWESOME.

Dominion on January 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Quadruple-talk harry is a worthless LIAR! I dare anyone to prove me wrong!

jgdp on January 13, 2010 at 9:51 PM

…Side note:
Sir Napsalot on January 13, 2010 at 2:59 PM…
Harry just discovered he’d mistakenly confused Preparation H for lip balm.

trl on January 13, 2010 at 10:15 PM