Pat Robertson: Haiti made a pact with the devil or something

posted at 4:10 pm on January 13, 2010 by Allahpundit

He may be a crank, but he’s consistent in his crankery. Anywhere there’s human misery — after 9/11, after Katrina, even after Ariel Sharon’s stroke — Reverend Pat will be there to explain to the victims why they deserved it. (And he’s not the only one.) He’s taking a beating on Twitter right now for having said this, including/especially from Christians who don’t want to see the faith smeared by his latest Old Testament thunderbolt theory. No worries there: Other Christian leaders, starting with the Pope and Franklin Graham, are taking a more New Testament view. But even conceding that he doesn’t speak for most Christians, he does still command a sizable following, no? Even after years of barfing up stuff like this.

If you’re wondering what the “pact with the devil” is all about (fact check: roughly 95 percent of Haitians are Christian), Tapper has some quickie background. Tongue-in-cheek exit question from MKH: According to the Harry Reid standard, shouldn’t Robertson’s charitable works absolve him from any and all offensive utterances?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

tetriskid on January 13, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Read Schulz’s biography.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:36 PM

When Pat’s judgment day comes, and he’s sitting next to Orel Roberts, he’s gonna wish he was in Haiti. His comments are specifically why many in the press seek him out when such disasters happen. What a tool.

TQM38a on January 13, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I have no idea what “true story” he’s referencing. If he’s referring to an actual event I would love to know the actual details. I don’t believe Haiti made a pact with the devil anymore than I believe Robert Johnson made one at the Crossroads.

I am amazed that Pat Robertson doesn’t see his theological inconsistency. He seems to believe God is absolutely sovereign over all things. Yet, he denies grace and espouses a freewill gospel.

flyfisher on January 13, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I know some wonderful Pentecostal believers, but they are slaves to superstition.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Yeah, can’t really argue with you there. I would imagine his brand of crazy is a little much even for the majority of them though…

ReformedAndDangerous on January 13, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Some Christians are already sending money, aid, and able bodies down to Haiti to help with the long and difficult process of relief and rebuilding. Others, like Robertson, take wacky theologicals positions that do little but stir up a hornet’s nest of Anti-Christian hate and divert from the real work that needs to be done in Haiti. Which of these groups better represents the spirit of Christ? (For the record, I’m an Agnostic who was raised Conservative Jewish. But I know that Christianity is a powerful force for charity and good works the whole world over. Robertson, for lack of a better world, is an ass)

Good Solid B-Plus on January 13, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I have no idea what “true story” he’s referencing. If he’s referring to an actual historical event I would love to know the details. I don’t believe Haiti made a pact with the devil anymore than I believe Robert Johnson sold his soul at the Crossroads.

flyfisher on January 13, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Has anyone here personally been to Haiti…?

Seven Percent Solution on January 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Went there several years ago. Visited the ruins of the fort. Desperate poverty then, just as now.

Vashta.Nerada on January 13, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Babino on January 13, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I think that’s accurate. He’s blaming their ancestors. Superstitious? Sure. Silly? Absolutely. But Horrifyingly cruel? Nah.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Ok, he didn’t document his ‘devil’ assertion at all, and he needs to do so. But his point is very valid. It’s not just the earthquake, Haiti has forever been a sewer of corruption, poverty and witchcraft. And at the end Robertson says we need to pray for and get relief to the people there.

So most and perhaps all of his statement is verifiable. Taken as a whole, without the sensationalist headline, he pretty much was right on. I’d like to hear more about the pact with the devil. Given the amount of witchcraft, it’s believable, and if true, dealing with it would be the key to getting back on track.

paul1149 on January 13, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I guess this is what happens when you get old

tarpon on January 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Nope, I heard him talk about Haiti’s pact with the devil over 25 years ago on the 700 Club. The media loves to paint all Christians with the Pat Robertson brush. He has not learned a thing in almost 30 years in this regard.

mwbri on January 13, 2010 at 4:39 PM

mmmm, not sure how my post posted twice.

flyfisher on January 13, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Read Schulz’s biography.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Yes, I always relate current events through the prism of cartoon characters.

Hmmm I wonder how Marmaduke relates to this situation.

tetriskid on January 13, 2010 at 4:39 PM

birdhurd on January 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM

you do realize it is fiction. right? He made a few too many mistakes for anything good.

upinak on January 13, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Can we get Fred Phelps and Pat Robertson to sign onto a no-holds barred cage match?

I don’t see a way that we can lose that, regardless of the outcome.

gekkobear on January 13, 2010 at 4:40 PM

AnotherOpinion on January 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Best ever: “I see a man in a yellow VW Beetle, whose hemerroids are being healed as I speak.”

Not everyone considers Pat an exemplar Christian, any more than Stalin was a typical atheist. Well, he pretty much was though.

Akzed on January 13, 2010 at 4:40 PM

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM

ReformedAndDangerous on January 13, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I’ll agree with that. I shouldn’t have burdened all Pentecostals with his statement. However, there are elements of that brand of thinking in every corner of the movement. Even my “Charismatic Catholic” relatives buy into a lot of that way of thinking.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:41 PM

I thought quoting Popes was tantamount to “Catholic bashing”? Oh, only when it’s not convenient. I forgot.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Or when its relevant. Boo-hoo.

Just remember, this thread is not about you.

darclon on January 13, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion. Pat, please take your opinion and shove it.

Love, Everyone.

search4truth on January 13, 2010 at 4:41 PM

How, exactly, does one go about making a deal with the devil?

Is there a form somewhere?

Joe Caps on January 13, 2010 at 4:41 PM

tetriskid on January 13, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Logical fallacy.

Nice try though.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Geez Pat. If you’d just said “Goddamn Haiti!” everything would have been alright.

BacaDog on January 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Basil Fawlty on January 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Spot on, sir!

The case against religion.

mazer9 on January 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM

The case against athiesm?

KinleyArdal on January 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Nuttier than a Stuckey’s log.

Asher on January 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM

But fighting with the French worked out SO much better for all those other former French colonies.

/s

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Leave it to Pat Robertson to try and make this tragedy about himself.

Good grief.

Bruno Strozek on January 13, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Pat Robertson strikes me as one of those types who went into the clergy to do good, and somewhere along the line decided that it was better to do well.

What a headful of fecal matter…

JohnGalt23 on January 13, 2010 at 4:43 PM

With whom did Robertson make his pact? :-|

Robertson is so relevent he’ll be on “Dancing With The Stars” next, next season.

SouthernGent on January 13, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Pat means well. He doesn’t like to see people suffering, but he should keep his explanations for suffering to himself.

I don’t need Pat to tell me why certain countries or people get more pain than others. I can try and guess for myself, in a private setting.

iamse7en on January 13, 2010 at 4:44 PM

BacaDog on January 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Can’t forget, “Haiti’s chickenssss are comin’ home to roooossssst.”

Babino on January 13, 2010 at 4:44 PM

darclon on January 13, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Thanks! So the next time I quote a Pope on Israel, AGW, immigration, HCR, liberty, state-religion issues, the role of civil authority in relevant threads… you’ll be the first to back me up.

Thanks!!

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:44 PM

BacaDog on January 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM

No, because he would be labeled a racist. Reverend Wright however is black and said that about a county that has a white majority so it’s not racist at all.

MobileVideoEngineer on January 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM

1″Do not judge so that you will not be judged.
2″For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.
Matthew7:1,2

I wonder if Pat would like to discuss these verses?

Crux Australis on January 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM

It is clear from the Bible that many natural “disasters” are the result of direct intervention by God. A cursory reading of the following passages will demonstrate this: (ESV) Eze. 2:5; 6:14; 24:27; 25:11,17; 26:6; 28:23,24,26; 29:9,16,21; 30:8,19,26; 32:15; 33:29,33; 35:15; 36:38; 38:23. And it is clear from those passages that God is specifically bringing judgment upon Israel and the surrounding nations for their presumptuous sin and pride. BUT, how does one know if ANY particular disaster, such as this earthquake, is directly from God… or the result of living in a fallen world where tectonic plates rush up against each other? without direct revelation, one cannot know. Sure, many Haitians are involved in pagan religions: Santeria, Voodoo, witchcraft, etc. But there are also strong Christians from many denominations there as well. Is God taking it out on them? Yes, the righteous often suffer along with the unrighteous. But without a specific prophecy from a biblical prophet, saying things that Robertson has said is just harsh and judgmental. In the clip, you can see that they are soliciting money for Haiti. If Haiti is being judged as Robertson says, then why bother helping them? Wouldn’t that be going against God? You can see where this eventually goes.

All suffering and bad things are a result of the Fall of Man and the Broken world we live in. Including Tetonic Plates.

jp on January 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I question Robertson’s grasp of God’s tactics. The crucifixion seems to run remarkably counter to any cursed nation contingency plan.

Keljeck on January 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I don’t know what is more pathetic:

Pat Robertson trying to drive the attention away from the victims in Haiti.

OR

People screeching “Christianity is evil” trying to drive the attention away from the victims in Haiti.

Pathetic.

tetriskid on January 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM

The Archbishop of Haiti was killed.

Plenty of Santaria devotees lived.

What’s that mean?

Akzed on January 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Disgraceful. No real Christian would say such a thing in the face of such suffering.

Terrye on January 13, 2010 at 4:46 PM

The Archbishop of Haiti was killed.

Plenty of Santaria devotees lived.

What’s that mean?

Akzed on January 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM

God isn’t Catholic? I dunno…?!?!!?

SouthernGent on January 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Doesn`t the liberal press bring him on because they know he will saying something stupid and then the media can`t paint all conservatives with what he says?

albill on January 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Is he still alive?

dmnari on January 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM

jp on January 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Yes all pain, etc. is the result of the fall… but God doesn’t work today as he did in other ages.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Fearing God’s Wrath should be man’s default position, especially those that beleive in Inalienable Rights which our Country was founded on.

“Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with his WRATH? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice can not sleep forever- …. that it may become probable by supernatural interference!”
Jefferson, Notes on Virginia

jp on January 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM

If you’re wondering what the “pact with the devil” is all about

Wow – long time grudge holding.

katiejane on January 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM

And when the next major disaster hits, the 700 club will still be there to broadcast his next rant.

RightOFLeft on January 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM

The Archbishop of Haiti was killed.

Plenty of Santaria devotees lived.

What’s that mean?

Akzed on January 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Again, a lot of Christians don’t see Catholicism as Christian.

MobileVideoEngineer on January 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM

jp on January 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Keep whoring.

tetriskid on January 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM

jp on January 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM

You’re nuts.

fogw on January 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM

very interesting article:

God, Satan, and the Birth of Haiti
Part One
Jean R. Gelin, Ph.D.

whatzit2u on January 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Why do earhtquakes and tidal waves never hit Pat?!?!

Akzed on January 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM

If Pat Robertson were even 1/3 of the Christian he claims himself to be, instead of heaping scorn and condemnation on the people of Haiti, he would be pooling the resources of his Christian Broadcasting Network to get aid out to those people are quickly as possible.

Instead, he once again assumes the delusional role of appointed and anointed judge, just as he has done in the past again and again and again, and in the process he puts yet another black spot on the face of Christianity.

Pat Robertson is now pretty much the Jimmy Carter of the Christian Faith, and is someone I sincerely wish would go into obscurity.

pilamaye on January 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM

tetriskid on January 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Damn, you are sharp. How do I respond to such witty repartee?

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Terrye on January 13, 2010 at 4:46 PM

You know Christians are still sinners, right? Even the “real” ones. Sheesh.

Babino on January 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM

oops – the linkage didn’t work

whatzit2u on January 13, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Akzed on January 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM

They donated money to Pat Robertson?

Holger on January 13, 2010 at 4:49 PM

I heard the second part of this at the tail end of Shep Smiths show, (waiting for Cavuto), and missed the devil reference. I assumed he was talking about Marxism and tyranny, which would have been the truth with regard to the extent of the aftermath as a result of poverty and unsafe buildings.

But the devil? Maybe the devil is where Pat Robertson has been getting his talking points from.

FloatingRock on January 13, 2010 at 4:49 PM

According to scripture, satan’s ministers are “the ministers of righteousness.”

I’m just sayin’, Pat.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Maybe a little background would help the discussion…

I found this interesting article.

Seven Percent Solution on January 13, 2010 at 4:51 PM

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:44 PM

If it is on topic, sure.

Doesn’t mean I’ll agree with you though…

Last I checked it was Robertson who said the idiotic thing about Haiti. The Pope made a commendable statement and other statements (by both men) do not change this one for good or ill.

darclon on January 13, 2010 at 4:51 PM

You’re nuts.

fogw on January 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM

So was Thomas Jefferson then and all the God Fearing Founding Fathers, who created a nation based on Inalienable, God-Given rights, all God-Fearing men.

So were all the founders of the major branches of Science and Mathematics. the Founders of our Hospitals and Charities and everything else God-Fearing people have given to the world. Include all the Christian Aide being sent to Haiti at this moment.

jp on January 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM
Keep whoring.

tetriskid on January 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM

WTF? Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Testament

ReformedAndDangerous on January 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Again, a lot of Christians don’t see Catholicism as Christian.

MobileVideoEngineer on January 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I’ve never met any.

MarkTheGreat on January 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM

jp on January 13, 2010 at 4:45 PM

That’s explains why he’s a global warming nut. And a nut. And apparently, so are you.

MadisonConservative on January 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM

darclon on January 13, 2010 at 4:51 PM

just laying out the ground rules.

If we’re talking AGW and I quote the Pope on AGW, I don’t want to hear any grief. If we’re talking… well, you get the point.

I’m just saying that when I quote an inconvenient statement from a Pope, I get blasted as a “Catholic basher.” Gotta play it both ways.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:54 PM

I don’t agree with his view either. Is it okay to bash him then? Does that make me more Christian or more right if I do? Is this some huge doctrinal hill that somebody needs to die on? Ever been wrong? Did someone bash you over the head with it? I believe it was Jesus who said, “do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

johnnybgood on January 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Pat Robertson is like the crazy unle that all the people in the neighborhood thinks the rest of your family acts like.

it’s people like him that make it really hard to defend my faith.

Pcoop on January 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM

ReformedAndDangerous on January 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Are you suggesting God works today as he always has?

I’ll give one glaring example… he can’t flood the world today as he once could. There are scores more examples.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM

The Divine Hand of God? Or plate tectonics and building codes? Or are they just sides of the same coin?

hawksruleva on January 13, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Pat, tell us the one again about how “the gays and the lesbians” caused 9/11.

/gathers round.

July 10 on January 13, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Ipinak

NON-FICTION pal. I haven’t read a novel in over a decade. What the hell was your point anyway?

birdhurd on January 13, 2010 at 4:56 PM

This kind of rabid stupidity from any religious extremist is why I am a Buddhist hanging out in the foothills of the mountains of enlightenment.

Wolftech on January 13, 2010 at 4:57 PM

I’ve never met any.

MarkTheGreat on January 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Can I quote the Popes who said that all non-Catholics are not Christians? In fact, just praying with a non-Catholic is heresy? Would that be relevant?

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:57 PM

If the Haitians turned to devil worship in order to get rid of the French, it seems like God should give them a one-time exemption. I mean Satan is evil but the French are intolerable.

dedalus on January 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM

oops – the linkage didn’t work

whatzit2u on January 13, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Fascinating read, I’ve always heard Haiti was the hell hole of the Carribean and very dangerous. Had no idea about this curse theory. Haiti is also the only reason half the Country isn’t French, they forced Napoleaon into selling the La Purchase

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM

NO more floods, next time is Fire

jp on January 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Back in 2005, a Haitian pastor pointed out what bunk Robertson’s pact story is, both from the historical record and from a theological standpoint:

DRPrice on January 13, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Sounds nuts . Only one way to find out . Make a pact with the devil and see what happens . i am sure the devil doesn’t have anything i want , I am already pretty good telcaster twanger . What else is there ?

borntoraisehogs on January 13, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I’ve never met any.

MarkTheGreat on January 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Let me introduce you.

MadisonConservative on January 13, 2010 at 4:59 PM

As a semi-professional theologian, let me say this:

MarkTheGreat on January 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM

You have now.

As for Pat Robertson, unless he has changed his beliefs in the past several years, he is not a Christian – his biblical anthropology is heterodox at best, and heretical at the worst. For more information, you may want to refer to “The Agony of Deceit” by Michael Scott Horton, ed.

psrch on January 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I like to think of myself as an “enlightened” atheist who is quite reluctant to give religious people a hard time. But this guy gives me the douche chills.

RWLA on January 13, 2010 at 5:01 PM

jp on January 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM

I’ve heard from missionaries who’ve served in Haiti for many years how strong the demonic forces are in Haiti. But they never mentioned any pact with the devil.

Daggett on January 13, 2010 at 5:02 PM

A Reformed, well known Pastor on Haiti from his blog today: John Piper

A Poem About Jesus in Haiti
January 13, 2010 | By: John Piper | Category: Commentary

Jesus in Haiti
After the Earthquake

Do you consider safety, or your health,
A sign from me?
I am not awed by might, nor struck by wealth,
Or poverty.

O, I am struck! And crushed. Buried, I wince,
And dying, pray,
A sympathetic Priest in Port-au-Prince,
Even today.

But there, in those United States the boot
Is on my face.
“Saul, Saul,” I ask, “Why do you persecute
And not embrace?”

Your King, I lift my arms to you in peace
And patient grief;
And summon now to Haiti enemies
For my relief.

jp on January 13, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Wolftech on January 13, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Buddhists can get ugly too. Just read up on Myanmar and their government’s persecution of Christians. It is in the name of Buddhism.

mwbri on January 13, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Pat Robertson should know that if voodoo really worked, Haiti would be a superpower. He should be praying for those people.

chunderroad on January 13, 2010 at 5:03 PM

95% of Haitians Christian? Ridiculous! Whoever wrote that got that from a ten-second google search and has utterly no idea what he’s talking about. One thing about Haitians is that they believe or claim to believe a lot of things, simultaneously.

In Haiti reverence for God is more often than not divided between Christ and voodoo and many other non-Christian religions. In a Scriptural view, this is not Christianity and not worship of the true God. God made a big deal about idolatry and demonic worship several times with the Jews, and he may continue to do this today.

If Robertson is wrong: okay. But don’t try to refute him with such tripe.

flicker on January 13, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Let me introduce you.

MadisonConservative on January 13, 2010 at 4:59 PM

From a pro-Papal site:

Only Catholics can worship God.
Gregory XVI

The Holy Spirit does not give life to heretics.
Leo XIII

If anyone prays with heretics, he is a heretic.
St. Agatho I

Liberty of conscience is insanity.
Gregory XVI

Only Catholics can be Christians.
Pius VI

True Faith cannot be found outside the Church.
Pius IX

Without the Catholic faith, it is impossible to please God.
Paul III

Christ’s Body is only the Catholic Church.
Pius XII

All outside the Catholic Church cannot be saved.
Eugene IV

etc……

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 5:05 PM

NO more floods, next time is Fire

jp on January 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM

There have been plenty of floods, killing millions since Noah. If the all powerful God is taking life as punishment, a more targeted approach would seem within his means.

dedalus on January 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM

seriously, there is a reason many Missionaries get sent to Haiti and its not because its 95% Christian.

jp on January 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM

What rules can bind God, the Creator of all things, including the rules?

As for Pat, I’ve always wondered why people enjoy listening to guys like him. I don’t believe God wants us to spend our time trying to decide what God’s message is in [insert event here]. Bad things happen. They don’t only happen to bad people. Such was the lesson to Job. And later, to Paul.

hawksruleva on January 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM

dedalus on January 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM

as Judgement as opposed to just being part of a fallen world. and wiping everything out, not just a small area.

jp on January 13, 2010 at 5:07 PM

dedalus on January 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM

The reference was to a worldwide flood, which God has limited himself from bringing.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 5:07 PM

What rules can bind God, the Creator of all things, including the rules?

Fidelity, he made a covenant with man.

Man is fallen to Infidelity, not God.

jp on January 13, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Okay… I’m gonna stick my neck out here, and say something that’s obviously out-of-sync with the rest…

I don’t see what or where Pat said anything to be vilified for. He recalled history, citing a specific moment in time when certain Haitians took charge, based on voodoo rituals and beliefs (which are still very strong, today). So, in essence, they did in fact “sell their souls to the devil”. And, since the majority of people living in the world today believe in a spiritual life/world, you’re either on the side of good, or evil. I think it’s safe to assume which side the Haitians chose. History holds this to be true.

Now… Pat did not say that this was God’s wrath or judgement, he simply said “they have been cursed by one thing after the other”, as a result of their “deal with the devil”.

God does not “pour out His wrath” on anybody, today. He is reserving His judgment until the end time (of course, many would say we’re already living in the end times…). God did not make this happen, but He allowed it to happen. If a person, people, or a nation, is not actively seeking Him, how can anybody honestly ask or expect His benevolence and grace? How is it that the Dominican Republic suffered virtually no death and destruction, yet Haiti is now living in the aftermath of an event of (dare I say it? I dare!!) Biblical proportions?

Here’s what I believe: God doesn’t actively “strike people/nations down” in this point in time. That time has not come, yet. But, He also doesn’t offer any protection for those who don’t seek after Him. You wanna play voodoo witchdoctor? You get what you ask for. Think playing up to Satan, the “father of lies” is cool or wise? He has no hope for eternity, and neither will you.

Pat didn’t condemn them, or say that they “brought God’s judgment down upon themselves”…

…if he thought they were worthy of “judgment”, would he be actively raising relief funds for them, and sending aid and supplies to Haiti? I think not…

(For the record, I can’t honestly say I’ve ever watch more than 5 minutes of Pat Robertson, and I’m not pentecostal, or a fan of “prosperity doctrine”. So, in short, I’m not a PR “fanboi”. I just think he’s getting a bad rap for comments I think people are twisting and contorting into something he didn’t actually say, but I have to say I agree with him, here.)

That being said, my prayer is that God helps the people of Haiti, through all those rushing to their aid, and those doing what they can to send aid and support. May those suffering from this disaster seek Him

Shepherd Lover on January 13, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Why does anyone allow this comment to distract from a disaster and suck up media oxygen when thousands of people are dying in Haiti? HotAir shouldn’t even link it.

Missy on January 13, 2010 at 5:08 PM

What rules can bind God, the Creator of all things, including the rules?

hawksruleva on January 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM

His own rules and his attributes.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Oh, good: mankai is here to dump on Catholics again.

Nice to see you can’t manage to plowshare the sword even today. So, the fact the Roman Catholic archbishop and approximately 100 seminarians have been crushed to death means the earthquake has an upside for you, eh?

DRPrice on January 13, 2010 at 5:09 PM

If your argument requires you to Capitalize Excessively Every Word, then you’re not serious. I mean, Not Serious.

Apologetic California on January 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM

DRPrice on January 13, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Logical fallacy.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM

One more thing about tragedies:

Luke 13:3-5

3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
KJV

flicker on January 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM

seriously this post needs to be corrected.

Here is an Atheist website for you AP:

The majority of Haitians believe in and practice at least some aspects of voodoo. Most voodooists believe that their religion can coexist with Catholicism. Most Protestants, however, strongly oppose voodoo

It would take a very liberal and deceitful definition to categorize a Voo Doo nation as also a Christian Nation.

jp on January 13, 2010 at 5:11 PM

dedalus on January 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM

But, it’s not like there are any diseases that target individuals who engage in particular lifestyles, right?

hawksruleva on January 13, 2010 at 5:11 PM