Pat Robertson: Haiti made a pact with the devil or something

posted at 4:10 pm on January 13, 2010 by Allahpundit

He may be a crank, but he’s consistent in his crankery. Anywhere there’s human misery — after 9/11, after Katrina, even after Ariel Sharon’s stroke — Reverend Pat will be there to explain to the victims why they deserved it. (And he’s not the only one.) He’s taking a beating on Twitter right now for having said this, including/especially from Christians who don’t want to see the faith smeared by his latest Old Testament thunderbolt theory. No worries there: Other Christian leaders, starting with the Pope and Franklin Graham, are taking a more New Testament view. But even conceding that he doesn’t speak for most Christians, he does still command a sizable following, no? Even after years of barfing up stuff like this.

If you’re wondering what the “pact with the devil” is all about (fact check: roughly 95 percent of Haitians are Christian), Tapper has some quickie background. Tongue-in-cheek exit question from MKH: According to the Harry Reid standard, shouldn’t Robertson’s charitable works absolve him from any and all offensive utterances?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

He’s a douche.

freedomplow on January 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Can we sell him on eBay ?

brewcrew67 on January 13, 2010 at 4:14 PM

LOL. This dude is batshit insane.

ReformedAndDangerous on January 13, 2010 at 4:14 PM

He’s a douche.

freedomplow on January 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM

And a 9iu11ani supporter to boot! Christian values in action; to hell with the poor.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on January 13, 2010 at 4:14 PM

The problem is Robertson believes this. Just a surely as any Muslim believes they are killing in the name of Allah. Anyway, I wish they would quit sticking a microphone in front of him.

Sue on January 13, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Pat, from one Christian to another, please shut up and go away now.

Dino64 on January 13, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Scum. Pure and utter scum. And no, I don’t care if the 700 Club is raising money for them. All that means is he’s shelling out money to make people shut up about what scum he is.

Fred Phelps could give a million to the Salvation Army. He’s still an underwear stain.

MadisonConservative on January 13, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Meh.

It’s what the man does for a living.

Aquateen Hungerforce on January 13, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I just had my 50th birthday – I hope to God I don’t become a sick old man.

jake-the-goose on January 13, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Made a deal with the devil? The Tea Party was involved?

Doughboy on January 13, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Whatever…the guy has been insane for decades.

neoavatara on January 13, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I guess Scott Brown\’s not the only one! /

4shoes on January 13, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Even a smartass like me is struck with nothing to say, other than “Really? Really, Pat? Really?”

Nethicus on January 13, 2010 at 4:17 PM

The devil? Why is Pat Robertson bringing Scott Brown into this?

Buy Danish on January 13, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Standard, everyday, on every channel Pentecostal Charismatic theological thinking.

This should surprise exactly no one.

“I perceive you are a superstitious people.”

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Haiti is 80% Catholic and 50% practice voodoo. Unfortunately he has a point.

The 50% voodoo is ommitted from the original post

Christianity and Voodoo do not truly blend.

seven on January 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM

An absolute embarassment to Christianity and conservatism. What an obnoxious, cold-hearted troll.

fusionaddict on January 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Isn’t he a fake? “I see a woman in a red dress with arthritis somewhere listening right now being healed.” Or was that not him? Initially, I’d be suspicious of anything he had to say.

AnotherOpinion on January 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Hey Pat. You’re not helping.

Gymkata on January 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Being a bible-believing Christian since 1989, I can say without a doubt that Pat Robertson needs to shut his piehole. If you believe these things, keep them to yourself. I imagine him to be one of the ones standing around the prostitute caught in the act of adultery, judging and ready to carry out the penalty.
Robertson needs to remember that he (like all of us) are sinners, and in need of a savior. To pronounce judgment on an entire nation of people is irresponsible in the least, and an example of a$$hattery in the extreme. Mercy and grace is what the Haitians need now, and physical help – not judgment from a doddery old coot, sitting comfortably in a TV studio. Go down there, Mr. Robertson, and pronounce your judgment to the dust-smeared faces of the people devastated by this. You are scattering, Mr. Robertson, when you should be gathering. Get on Christ’s side for once!

txrmctague on January 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM

the guy is old and thinks that everything happens for a reason concerning God and whatever. People who get older become like this.

upinak on January 13, 2010 at 4:19 PM

♪ ♫ It’s time for lobotomy. That’s just Pat. ♪ ♫

LibTired on January 13, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Fail.

Track-A-'Crat on January 13, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Only the devil would beg poor people to help him buy a TV network “for God” then make himself the sole owner and turn around and sell it for a cool $1B… pocketing every dime.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Sue on January 13, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Unfortunately, Rev. Bobblehead pays good money for that microphone.

Money donated by the gullible, but still…

Spiny Norman on January 13, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I’m guessing most of his following now is with senile old people.

Mark1971 on January 13, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Had he called them “light-skinned”, there’d be no problem…right?

catmman on January 13, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I think it’s time for him to retire… like Dobson is from Focus on the Family…

ninjapirate on January 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Someone who loves him needs to let him know that he is not helpful.

Cindy Munford on January 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Pat Robertson would know what a deal with the Devil looks like, he made one. Look up his dealings in Africa with Charles Taylor and Mobutu Sese Seko, look up his attempts in Diamond Mining. When Rwanda was going to hell he took money meant to fly refugees out of country and used it to transport his diamond mining equipment. The man probably bankrolled abuses of human rights in Liberia and Zaire.

Holger on January 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Christianity and Voodoo do not truly blend.

seven on January 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM

On that point, I agree.

On the main point (that God is punishing Haiti with poverty and death)… you might want to consider the slaughter of the Armenian Christians at the hands of the Muslims from approx 1895-1915. Do you want to blame them for their own genocide?

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Haiti is 80% Catholic and 50% practice voodoo. Unfortunately he has a point.

The 50% voodoo is ommitted from the original post

Christianity and Voodoo do not truly blend.

seven on January 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM

And a lot of Christians don’t see Catholicism as the same thing as Christianity. Now that’s not to say that there aren’t a lot of Christians that go to a Catholic church, but nevertheless, Catholicism isn’t exactly the same.

MobileVideoEngineer on January 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Oh, like we SO expected him to say something different in his dotage.

tree hugging sister on January 13, 2010 at 4:22 PM

he needs to retire…..

I do not appreciate the things he says, he honestly don’t think before he speaks. Since AP is saying he’s taking more of the OT route, he should start reading Proverbs.

Proverbs 10:19 (NLT)
Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut.

deidre on January 13, 2010 at 4:22 PM

he does still command a sizable following, no?

Shades of “nobody I know voted for Nixon” but… does anyone know anyone who supports this loon? I’ve been a Christian for 20 years, more or less, lived in 4 states and attended a variety of churches, and I’ve never met a Pat Robertson supporter in all that time.

Laura on January 13, 2010 at 4:22 PM

So, what is he saying? That we should just ignore them and nobody should show compassion?

Some fine form of “christianity” ya got there, Pat. He is an embarrassment to kind and loving people everywhere and to America.

But, I guess the press looooves to hear from him….so they can bash Christians.

bridgetown on January 13, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Why bring Robertson in on this?He was one,s a great man and speaker but time and his age have clouded his mind and he says thing that years ago he would not have said.I remember the late Barry Goldwater a great conservative but in his later years said and did things that were not conservative to say the least.

thmcbb on January 13, 2010 at 4:22 PM

fusionaddict on January 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Beat me to it.

Meremortal on January 13, 2010 at 4:22 PM

People around here are saying “who is Pat Robertson?”, so I dunno, AP.

KinleyArdal on January 13, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I don’t think he says that to be disgusting, I think he truly believes it. It makes absolutely no sense, of course, but his mind is in a whole different place than most people.

scalleywag on January 13, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Haiti is 80% Catholic and 50% practice voodoo. Unfortunately he has a point.

The 50% voodoo is ommitted from the original post

Christianity and Voodoo do not truly blend.

seven on January 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Voodoo/Hoodoo is a syncretic blend of African tribal religion and Roman Catholicism.

If he had a point then either all Roman Catholics or practitioners of African tribal religions have made a deal with the devil.

I’m pretty sure Robertson finds both guilty.

darclon on January 13, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I remember him saying this 25 years ago about Haiti. As a Christian, I am embarrassed with his urban legend research. You must be careful when you have a big megaphone, which he has not been.

Having a significant number of the population practicing voodoo certainly effects the social structure of the country, but it does not explain earthquakes and tsunamis.

I couldn’t stand to watch it, but did he actually bring Scott Brown into his convoluted statements? Pat, resign your ministry credentials if you want to go into politics.

mwbri on January 13, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Laura on January 13, 2010 at 4:22 PM

I first heard of him on the interweb. Nobody in my social circle has any clue about him other than the name.

KinleyArdal on January 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM

He doesn’t speak for me or anybody else I know.

This guy is worthless.

WisCon on January 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Most Pentecostals hold beliefs that sound a lot like voodoo to me.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Has anyone here personally been to Haiti…?

Seven Percent Solution on January 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Is it just me or has Pat Robertson been getting worse since Falwell died? Before that, he seemed pretty New Testamenty.

Speedwagon82 on January 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM

He’ll be apologizing by tonight.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM

latest Old Testament thunderbolt theory

are taking a more New Testament view

Heretic

ninjapirate on January 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM

The case against religion.

mazer9 on January 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM

On a tragic day like today, I appreciated your small ray of irony:

That said, Pat Robertson’s belief system is reprehensible. I can’t imagine any works charitable enough to absolve him of saying such absolute drivel about those poor unfortunate people.

marybel on January 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM

“Love your neighbor as yourself,” and “Remember the widows and orphans.”

I think that is all a Christian needs to say and do.

Beaglemom on January 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Christian values in action; to hell with the poor.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on January 13, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Get a grip.

Midas on January 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Has Pat Robertson been reading “The Secret”?

patriette on January 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM

WOW, what makes anyone think that people anywhere in the world “deserve” something like this to happen to them. Thousands of people are suffering, possibly just as many dead, thousands without water, food or even knowing if their loved ones are ok and he thinks they deserve it. What a sad man.

milwife88 on January 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Oral Roberts:Check
Pat Robertson:
Jerry Falwell:Check

portlandon on January 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Luke 13:2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?

Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Luke 13:4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

Luke 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Basil Fawlty on January 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Holger on January 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Yea, I remember him being linked to stuff like that. I’ll have to read up on it.

scalleywag on January 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Hey AllahP, I am not defending Pat Robertson in any way but you were the one who labeled the Haiti story “Apocalypse Now.”

DaydreamBeliever on January 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM

He is the kind of human turd that almost makes Pelousy seem rational.

GnuBreed on January 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I don’t believe every bad thing happens as a result of Divine judgment; bad things happen to good people, too.

Pat needs to stop saying such cold-hearted things and instead motivate his congregation to help ease the suffering where it can.

Liam on January 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Speedwagon82 on January 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Lawl. Yeah we wouldn’t want any of those nasty joo parts would we?

tetriskid on January 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Most Pentecostals hold beliefs that sound a lot like voodoo to me.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I don’t know what you’ve got against pentecostals on this thread, but I gotta admit that’s pretty funny…

ReformedAndDangerous on January 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Someone who loves him needs to let him know that he is not helpful.

Cindy Munford on January 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM

That’s why he won’t shut up. There’s very little real love in the life of a man like Pat Robertson.

AScott on January 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM

The world according to Pat was supposed to end in 1982. Considering how much money and time I spent preparing for it, I can never forgive or believe him ever again.

Bishop on January 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM

And this guy ran for the Republican nomination in 1988!

Pat Robertson most likely believes this pablum he spews. Haiti has been suffering for generations (corruption, war, hurricanes, etc.) and I suppose this 7.0 earthquake was when God finally decided to have His say.

Get real!

islandman78 on January 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM

He’ll be apologizing by tonight.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I certainly hope so…

Laura on January 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM

This sounds like something ‘general’ Joe Biden would say..

Dick Turpin on January 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM

“Why bring Robertson in on this?”

He brought himself in. Robertson is one of many false Christians who operate for their own glory and riches.

That doesn’t make Christianity false, but people like Robertson hurt Christians and their message and he has been a fool and a fake for many years in my opinion.

I’m not Christian but I have a high respect for Christianity and many of it’s adherents.

Meremortal on January 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Standard Pentecostalism… I’ve been dealing with that voodoo for almost 20 years.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Allah, many thanks for posting this. I am glad that conservatives and Republicans with empathy, care and sanity are denouncing this ugly idiot.

Perhaps someone can put up a post as to why anyone at all follows what this man says and explain it. Beyond my imagination.

pbundy on January 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Bitching about him isn’t enough, he needs to be fired from CBN pronto!

Apologetic California on January 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM

“he does still command a sizable following, no?”

How should we know? You’re the blogging professional, Allahpundit, get off your lazy butt (or plop it back down, or however you work) and look up his ratings.

notropis on January 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Robertson gives the human race a bad name.

ElectricPhase on January 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM

As a Christian, I do believe that God will judge the earth for it’s sin. I am not God, but I do not think this is divine judgement from God. If this is judgment from God, he would have to apologize to Sodom and Gommorrah….

The truth of the matter is that in the midst of this horrible tragedy, the “see what you have done?” mentality needs to cease, and helping our brothers and sisters needs to be planted in these old school kooks…..

JVelez on January 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Dominican Republic is, is prosperous, healthy, full of resorts, et cetera.

Please move there, Pat, and live among the “prosperous” people of the Dominican Republic, where emigration is high and remittances account for 10% of the economy. Please.

calbear on January 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Maybe the big tent should be taken and here in there just a smidge.

Cicero43 on January 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM

He needs to put a (D) at the end of his name, if he is going to say things like this.

Vashta.Nerada on January 13, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Well, the eco-pagans are saying that we should kill and eat our pets.

Will his 700 Club donate mercy funds to Haiti? I think it will.

rrpjr on January 13, 2010 at 4:30 PM

ReformedAndDangerous on January 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Just trying to explain that Pat didn’t wake up today saying strange things. This is the theological culture he lives in. These are the people that Charles Schulz was mocking with the Great Pumpkin… “If the GP comes… oh no… I said ‘if’! I’m doomed!”

This is standard, everyday stuff in his circle.

I know some wonderful Pentecostal believers, but they are slaves to superstition.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I’m sure Little Green Apples is drooling and spitting at the screen with his utter contempt as well. (I’m too afraid to check)

portlandon on January 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I would now like to make an appeal regarding the dramatic situation in Haiti. My thoughts go out in particular to the people severely afflicted, just a few hours ago, by a devastating earthquake that has caused massive loss of human life, left a great number of people homeless, and left widespread tremendous material devastation. I invite everyone to unite themselves to my prayer to the Lord for the victims of this catastrophe and for those who mourn the dead. Be assured of my spiritual closeness to those who have lost their homes and to all people suffering in any way from this grave calamity, as I ask God to grant them consolation and relief amidst their suffering. I call upon the generosity of all so that our brothers and sisters living in this time of need and pain may not lack our concrete solidarity and the effective support of the International Community. The Catholic Church will not fail to take immediate action through her charitable institutions to meet the most pressing needs of the people.

This is what the Pope said. Compare and contrast.

englishqueen01 on January 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Just read a book about earthquakes (A Crack in the world-S. Winchester) which oddly enough has the origin of the Pentacostal Church Oddly enough it was in San Francisco in 1906…right before the earthquake.

birdhurd on January 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I guess this is what happens when you get old …

tarpon on January 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Meremortal on January 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Ah, a voice of reason. ;)

Midas on January 13, 2010 at 4:32 PM

The case against religion.
mazer9 on January 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Too broad a brush, mazer9. It’a a case against Pat Robertson’s peculiar religious belief system.

It will be the charitable members of many religions who will be donating time, funds, and working on the front lines today and for months to come.

marybel on January 13, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Too many oddly enoughs. Apologize for poor self editing.

birdhurd on January 13, 2010 at 4:32 PM

calbear on January 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Yeah… the DR comment struck me as odd too.

Prosperous? If you can hit 40 HRs and use a glove it’s prosperous… in the US.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Too many oddly enoughs. Apologize for poor self editing.

birdhurd on January 13, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Oddly enough, I didn’t notice.

Midas on January 13, 2010 at 4:33 PM

JVelez on January 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I agree and when God judges or corrects, He wants to do it so that the people know it was Him and they need to change their ways without having someone else telling them after the fact. If it truly was God, the people will know and God will use this tragedy to reflect His glory in some manner (such as the outpouring of support from the people of the world), so I agree that Pat Robertson doesn’t need to be speaking his own words on the situation, especially now.

MobileVideoEngineer on January 13, 2010 at 4:34 PM

This is standard, everyday stuff in his circle.

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Wow, dissect the meaning of Peanuts much? Peanuts Troofer?

tetriskid on January 13, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Doubtful. How many people are in this “following”?

July 10 on January 13, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Has anyone here personally been to Haiti…?

Seven Percent Solution on January 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Just the highly secured, beautiful cruise ship resort, Labadee (owned by Royal Caribbean).

DOOF on January 13, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Is anyone more inconsequential than Robertson? It would take one determined anti-religious bigot to even think this would be blog worthy.

Capitalist Infidel on January 13, 2010 at 4:35 PM

englishqueen01 on January 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I thought quoting Popes was tantamount to “Catholic bashing”? Oh, only when it’s not convenient. I forgot. How about quoting what he has to say on AGW or immigration or on HCR?

mankai on January 13, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Ahh…Christs love…can you feel it? Yeesh.

ronsfi on January 13, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Meh. I don’t see the controversy here. You can have the belief that a nation is cursed and still have compassion for the people living there. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Now if he said that since they are cursed we should not help them, that would be wrong.

Babino on January 13, 2010 at 4:36 PM