Sad: Desperate Dems trying to Palinize Massachusetts race

posted at 5:06 pm on January 12, 2010 by Allahpundit

Does the “Do it for Teddy!” battle cry ring so hollow even in Boston that they’re forced to resort to … this?

Early Monday afternoon, [DNC spinner Hari] Sevugan sent out an email to reporters featuring a link to a story on the lefty website TPM. The headline: “Is Sarah Palin Avoiding Mass Senate Race?” The story quoted a Democratic strategist saying that “it’s interesting” that Palin is “nowhere to be found in this race.” TPM conceded that GOP sources say there has been “no talk” about Palin visiting Massachusetts. But that didn’t stop Sevugan, who is quoted declaring that Palin’s supporters “are anxious for her to weigh in.” At the top of his email to journalists, Sevugan wrote, “Come on, Sarah, why are you being so shy?”…

Finally, when a Brown spokesman, while not specifically mentioning Palin, said that “Scott is not looking for a lot of outside help” and that the race would not be determined by outsiders, Sevugan sent out yet another email to reporters, this one headlined “Weaselly.” Sevugan directed journalists to his response to the “blatant dodge by the Scott Brown campaign on the issue of whether he is seeking and/or if he would accept an endorsement from Sarah Palin.” Sevugan quoted himself challenging Brown: “That’s a weaselly answer. And the people of Massachusetts deserve more than weaselly answers from their next senator…It’s a yes or no question, Scott Brown — Will you accept Sarah Palin’s endorsement or won’t you?”

I’m surprised they didn’t toss her in there next to Rush in that “lockstep Republican” attack ad that dropped last night. I haven’t been following the Massachusetts race closely, yesterday’s Brown-apalooza notwithstanding, so let me ask this in all earnestness: Is Coakley really this terrible of a candidate? In a deep blue sea of Massachusetts Democrats, she’s the prize catch? Even with ObamaCare in disfavor, the combo of mawkish Kennedy sentimentality and the small fortune the Dems have burned on her campaign should make this a walkover — and yet here we are, with Waffles declaring the race a dead heat and the DNC practically begging Palin to say something so that they can demagogue Brown with it. In a year marked by some horrible high-profile Democratic campaigns and candidates — Deeds and Corzine, for starters — Coakley truly must be the very worst.

Exit question: Knowing that Brown is pro-choice, you guys aren’t going to start calling him a RINO whom we’d be better off without in six months, are you?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Even though registered Dems outnumber Republicans in MA, over 51% are unaffiliated with a party. They are Independents.

Brown has wisely chosen to campaign as an “independent thinker” in this race, and he is appealing to voters across all partisan lines.

Palin’s political instincts are correct in staying out of this race. Both Brown and she know it.

Brown in no RINO. He understands the MA constituency. From what I can tell, he has the same stance that Fred Thompson has regarding federalism. Some issues are best served at the state level. Brown is correct in appealing the MA voters on the bread and butter issues and opposing federal funding of abortion or late-term abortions.

From the dumb MA ads and emails, it is apparent that Rush and Palin are messing with the Dem heads. The Dem PR spin meisters are doing more to defeat Coakley than not.

onlineanalyst on January 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM

***

If we don’t, we’ll all be aborted in one way or the other. Right now, give me a fiscal warrior, and we’ll deal with abortion issue that way.

TXUS on January 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Unless I’m mistaken, Judd Gregg is pro-choice, but he’s clearly a fiscal hawk. From flaky New England, I’ll take Gregg and Brown any day.

BuckeyeSam on January 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM

“I’m Scott Brown, and I spell-checked this message.”

Ronnie on January 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Too funny.

Cindy Munford on January 12, 2010 at 5:44 PM

The bigger question is why isn’t Obama coming to stump for Coakley?

PrincipledPilgrim on January 12, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Maybe Coakley has seen Obama’s approval rating and decided that he would be toxic to her campaign so asked him to stay away.

farright on January 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Coakley won the backroom war to succeed Kennedy. She didn’t need to be a good general election candidate, because the idea of a Republican winning Kennedy’s seat was laughable. It’s not so laughable any more, and they are stuck with a political insider, deal-maker instead of a campaigner.

Buford Gooch on January 12, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Brown’s NARAL MA 2005 rating was 50%. I don’t know how he got this rating if he is on the record repeatedly saying

1) He’s a vote for “parental consent”
2) He’s a vote in favor of a ban on “partial birth abortion”.
3) He’s a vote against federal funding of elective abortion.

If this makes him pro-choice then I need an all expenses paid sponsorship to NARAL summer camp.

gabriel sutherland on January 12, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I’ll take a pro-choice fiscal con like Scott Brown over a fiscal-lib DIABLO like Dede Scozzafava any day of the week and any month of the year.

Chaz706 on January 12, 2010 at 5:52 PM

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Didn’t think I’d ever see you making that charge. I don’t completely disagree with you though. Hot Air doesn’t seem to expend the same amount of time on positive stories as negative ones, but that might just be because negative stories get more hits.

Esthier on January 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM

The Dem’s will do anything to not seat Brown, if he were to win.

daesleeper on January 12, 2010 at 5:19 PM

I could think of one extreme measure that’s guaranteed to work, but I don’t want to jinx us.

Chaz706 on January 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Lets not let perfect be the enemy of good.

Or something like that.

anniekc on January 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I’m in IL, and I’d crawl over broken glass to elect a RINO.

Go Mark Kirk!

ElectricPhase on January 12, 2010 at 5:59 PM

From Yahoo, the new progressive talking points:

– that Sarah Palin believed Saddam Hussein to be behind the attacks on 9/11, didn’t understand why North and South Korea were separate (the Korean War) and that she could not properly pronounce Joe Biden’s name. The book contends that Palin was a mentally unstable person prone to wild mood swings, describing her being hopelessly lost in a “catatonic stupor” at one point during the campaign.
txag92 on January 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM

I’m sorry, but Schmidt said she was thoroughly vetted; now he says she wasn’t. What’s the truth Schmidt, you a liar?

deidre on January 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Ahh yes,someone who graduated from college with a degree in broadcast journalism,became a broadcast journalist,got involved in politics,became a successful 2 term mayor,then got selected by the state Governor to serve on the powerful oil and gas commission,then became the Governor herself,the most popular Governer in the nation when she was selected to be the Republican nominee for Vice President,kicked ass debating a guy who has 30 years in Congress all by the time shes 45…..is dumber than the average 6th grader.Uh-huh.

theTarCzar on January 12, 2010 at 5:59 PM

It would seem AP is trying to do the exact same thing here he sees Sevugan doing. If no one is saying whay you have an arguement for, present it for them and them try to shoot it down. HA really deserves better.

MikeA on January 12, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Depends. Is he going to make a habit of giving the press Republican bashing quotes?
Besides, this is a guy who is actually “pro-choice”. Which is to say, he favored a law that gave people teh right not to have to give abortions.
So no, I’m not going to bash him as a RINO if he keeps on acting the way he’s acted in the past.

Now, would I call someone from Utah with his positions a RINO? Probably. But that’s because you can be a lot more conservative, and still get elected in Utah.

Greg Q on January 12, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Pro choice can mean different things, can’t it? He is pro parental notification of a minor wanting an abortion. His pro choice stance could mean also, that he feels it’s a womans choice when she’s raped, and a pregnancy follows, or in cases of incest as well. But does it necessarily mean he’s pro choice for any woman to just go out, and abort their baby when it’s inconvenient to them?

I don’t need specifics, I like the man, and if I lived in Mass, I’d vote for him. I was cheering at his comments over the senate seat. The man gets it. It’s not Teddys. It’s not the Dems. It’s the peoples. That’s good enough for me.

capejasmine on January 12, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Exit question: Knowing that I, Allahpundit blog from the left side of HotAir sometimes, you guys aren’t going to start calling me a RINO now, are you? Who would bring more traffic to this site other than me? Is it possible that HotAir would be a better site if I got got fired within the next in six months?

Americannodash on January 12, 2010 at 6:01 PM

RINOs from deep blue states are a-ok. It’s when they come from red states and gain leadership positions in the party that there’s a problem.

BadgerHawk on January 12, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Certainly. RINOs are often better than Democrats, and in deep blue states, they’re the best we could ever hope for. And even then, they can’t be a RINO on every issue.

Esthier on January 12, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Heh. He is a RINO. I knew this before I donated. I’m just being vindictive here, I want a “Massachusettes”/Kennedy seat to be represented by an “R”.

ReformedAndDangerous on January 12, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Allahpundit

It’s sad that you don’t get the Tea Party movement. This is not about litmus test on issues, its about fidelity to this country and to do what you said you would do if elected to office. It’s about sticking to your principles and meeting the basic requirement to be a republican– vote for limited government. Not new entitlements, not bailouts, and not increase welfare in the form of importing poor people (amnesty) into the country. This is what the Tea Party movement is all about, authenticity. Scott Brown is more than welcomed in the party so long as he stays true to his campaign planks. IF he doesn’t, then we don’t want him in our party and if the party doesn’t want us, then we’ll look to another political party.

milemarker2020 on January 12, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Ask me again in six months. For now, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

OhioCoastie on January 12, 2010 at 6:06 PM

They misinterpreted her eyerolling at the idiots around her running the campaign.

theTarCzar on January 12, 2010 at 6:10 PM

In response to your exit question, Allah. In Massachusettes, if we could get a Democrat with a misprinted “R” Next to his or name elected on the ballot, it would be a freaking miracle. I’m more than cool with Brown.

joshleguern on January 12, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Americannodash on January 12, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Yeah, as though AP doesn’t take a lot of crap from people here already.

Though, Allah, I thought we’d gone over this with NY-23. One issue doesn’t necessarily make someone a RINO. Plenty of people were willing to vote for Rudy.

Esthier on January 12, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I don’t get the conflict. I’m a conservitive and I am pro-choice. I choose life. I don’t want the government involved in family planning, on any side of any realted question.

I’m also pro-ice cream but I don’t want any G-man telling me how to eat it, or not eat it, or making decisions about who should pay for it.

MikeA on January 12, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Is Coakley really this terrible of a candidate?

Short answer? Yes. Her incompetence as a candidate is second only to her pathetic performance as our AG. Speaking as an attorney who has crossed swords with her minions, I’m not impressed.

RedMindBlueState on January 12, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Not me. As long as he votes to kill that crap sandwich of a health care “reform,” He’ll be good in my books.

irishspy on January 12, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Yeah, as though AP doesn’t take a lot of crap from people here already.

Esthier on January 12, 2010 at 6:12 PM

He gives as good as gets. His cause and effect business plan is to agitate and bring traffic.

Americannodash on January 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Ask me again in six months. For now, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

OhioCoastie on January 12, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Yeah. Now, if he demands a seat on the Judiciary Committee to protect the “superduper precedent” and the rest of you insist this proves the pro-life movement is irrelevant to republican politics, you’re going to have a war.

Chris_Balsz on January 12, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Frankly I could care less about Scott Brown’s pro choice. He can’t do a damn thing about overturning Roe vs Wade. As he said it is the law. I have lived in Massachusetts akk if my life except for my WW11 service. I have seen Senator’s Lodge and Brooks elected. Also Governors Sargent, Weld Callucci and Romney. They were all elected because they were centrists, strong on the fiscal issues and the preservation of our freedom, and social on other issues. Believe me when I say that Scott fits this mold perfectly, and will win on Jan 19. Now I very seldom comment on these sites, preferring to enjoy reading all comments, lucid or assinine. I just want to express my sadness that none of the candidates talked about protecting our children. A fer years back Margaret Clapprood a Lt. Governor candidate talked about a bill of rights for children. This would not be a states law but a federal one. I want mandatory sentences that could not be overturned by judges, those mandatory laws to be imposed based on the severity of the criminal offense. Children must be protected. Martha Coakley let a baby molester go free because he had the right connections. This is apprehensible, and simply reflects the liberal mindset that believes trying our enemies in federal rather than military courts is acceptable. I have donated twice to Scott and God bless him.

Big Nicholas on January 12, 2010 at 6:23 PM

MikeA on January 12, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Not to start this argument, but pro-lifers are no more asking the government to get into your lives anymore than they do when they ask that the government not allow you to harm children who are outside the womb. Either you accept that the fetus deserves protection or you don’t, but that’s the discussion here, not government intrusion into “family planning”.

Esthier on January 12, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Americannodash on January 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Maybe so, but it’s not as though he takes no heat from people here, which was my only point.

Esthier on January 12, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Americannodash on January 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Esthier on January 12, 2010 at 6:24 PM

At least he doesnt have to smear/pick fights with other blogs to drive traffic here.Unlike a certain paranoid classless blogger.

theTarCzar on January 12, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Oh, Allah gets the tea party movement, he gets it. That is why he throws a punch at it every chance he gets. Hot Air, indeed, deserves better.

texanpride on January 12, 2010 at 6:41 PM

theTarCzar on January 12, 2010 at 6:30 PM

I’ve never seen him pick a fight with anyone.

Hot Air, indeed, deserves better.

texanpride on January 12, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Hot Air wouldn’t be where it is today without him. If you think Allah should leave, then you really don’t like this site.

Esthier on January 12, 2010 at 6:43 PM

It doesn’t matter very much what side of the abortion fence he is. Apart from voting to confirm judges, there’s not much he can do one way or the other at this point in time. Even if the Republicans had their majority back any legislation they pushed through would be vetoed by Dr. Obama.

Buy Danish on January 12, 2010 at 6:45 PM

RedMindBlueState on January 12, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Can you provide juicy details, without giving your identity away?

Just for fun..

massrighty on January 12, 2010 at 6:47 PM

My guess is that Palin called Brown and asked if he wanted her to publicly support him. He probably wisely declined. It is Mass. we’re talking about here.

I imagine it depends on his voting record. A while back, someone here said he could live with a pro-choice Republican but couldn’t abide a fiscally liberal one. I concur and think Obama has forced a redefinition of what it means to be a RINO.

Kafir on January 12, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Since the newest talking points are that she is borderline retarded for not know about the Cold War and the two Koreas, I would expect them to Palin bait every candidate for the next ten years.

Speedwagon82 on January 12, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Esthier on January 12, 2010 at 6:43 PM

As much as I sometimes disagree with him, I love reading AP’s input. He and Morrissey make a good tandem.

ddrintn on January 12, 2010 at 7:01 PM

ddrintn on January 12, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Agree; and this is the central point.
I’d rather be bothered by his (well-crafted, thought-provoking) posts, as the “price I pay to be here,” then just get some syncophant, posting red meat for us conservatives.

Plus, if you disagree with him, you can post it, and he will answer you – on some blogs, that will get you banned.

massrighty on January 12, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Leave Allahpundit alone!

fitzsweetpea on January 12, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Speedwagon82 on January 12, 2010 at 6:58 PM

No one that reads her book,or sees her on Tv will believe that nonsense.Thats why the FOX move is a masterstroke.How ironic it comes the day after that ridiculous attack was launched.Check-mate.

theTarCzar on January 12, 2010 at 7:16 PM

ddrintn on January 12, 2010 at 7:01 PM

agree as well…you’re a-ok in my book AP

cmsinaz on January 12, 2010 at 7:20 PM

If he behaves like Olympia Snow would you still support him?

I don’t see him as a Republican gain, more like a Democrat loss. I have seen some of his political leanings, but still don’t know much about him. He appears kind of conservative, but has no real legislative history.

Your anti-conservative meme is getting boring.

Rode Werk on January 12, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Exit question question: Are you trying to engineer an I-told-you-so moment, AP?

snaggletoothie on January 12, 2010 at 7:48 PM

If you belong to the group Mass Resistance, the answer would be YES!

BobAnthony on January 12, 2010 at 7:48 PM

If Brown & Co. aren’t readying themselves with guns for this knife fight, they should be.

Remember the Frankenmo!

Bruno Strozek on January 12, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Speedwagon82 on January 12, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Wow! Fantastic meme! Sarah (Heath) Palin must have sat thru all her high school history classes doodling “Todd is dreamy”! And on top of that, sat thru all those Sunday night episodes of M*A*S*H without ever asking her science teacher father “Hey dad, what happened in Korea?”.

Yeah, right.

DanOwillbookem on January 12, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Let me reiterate:

Sometimes, the lesser of two evils is, the lesser of two evils.

franksalterego on January 12, 2010 at 7:56 PM

I cannot figure out why this question was asked.

Are you readers here at hotair smart enough to figure out that the self-admitted pro-choice Scott Brown is better for us than Martha Coakley as a senator from Mass., or are you going to change your minds in 6 months when he votes pro-choice?

Call me crazy, but yeah, I think the great majority are smart enough to figure that out. If there’s any doubt about that that I shouldn’t waste my time on this site.

chris999 on January 12, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Scott Brown style “pro-choice,” while lamentable that it is not a complete pro-life articulation, is entirely different from Martha Coakley style full bore Pocket Planned Parenthood hack partial birth abortion “pro-choice.”

Abortion is the only choice Martha supports for women.

BKennedy on January 12, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Is there a pro-life candidate for the MA special election?
I don’t mean a Kennedy/Biden/Pelosi version of cafeteria catholicism.
Brown’s issue page says he believes government should regulate on abortions. He also favors a two-state solution for Israel.

Would I vote for him as a replacement for Kay Bailout? No, because Mr. Williams is in the race. OTOH Senator Brown (R) MA will be toasted when he single handedly ends ObowMaoCare.

FREEDOM!

Blacksmith8 on January 12, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Even if When the Republicans have their majority back any legislation they pushed through would be vetoed by Dr. Obama and promptly overridden by the new conservative congress.

Buy Danish on January 12, 2010 at 6:45 PM

FIFY

Blacksmith8 on January 12, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Can you provide juicy details, without giving your identity away?
massrighty on January 12, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Sorry. In this case, the bar’s a bit too small. Suffice it to say, AGs like to play gotcha with the law abiding in the hopes that they won’t fight back hard. Sometimes they do. ;-)

RedMindBlueState on January 12, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Only if he’s elected, and in six months starts voting like a democrat.

DrAllecon on January 12, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Esthier on January 12, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I get that part. But then again, I’m not running for sainthood. and I mostly care about me and mine. One of the things I have come to believe about this issue is that the majority of people who are in favor of limitless access to abortion are Democrats. Most of the ones that are strictly anti-abortion are Repbilicans, or at least conservitives. When I look at creatures like Michael Moore, Nancy Pelosi, Algore, Hillary, etc., I have a hard time feeling like it is smart to want them to reproduce. If lefties abort thier spawn and righties don’t, we will have a self correcting situation in a few generations.

MikeA on January 12, 2010 at 9:34 PM

He doesn’t seem to be enough of a snarky, condescending, jerk like Frum, MegaMac, Al….

Erm..so I’d say no. Great question though.

Dongemaharu on January 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Just curious.. if anyone has kept up with the Right Condition blog about Brown.

He’s got some serious posts in there about many of Brown’s “RINO” qualities, which makes me think that it’s a very good thing for SarahPAC to stay out of supporting anyone in this race.

DaSaintFan on January 12, 2010 at 10:54 PM

He is a RINO AllahPundit and that was acknowledged from the beginning. But he’s MA’s RINO with a potential to clean the D & Kennedy logo off that Senate sit and put a wrench in Health Care Reform, I still sit back and snicker with pleasure watching Liberals pee their pants. I don’t want them running things though. If he starts pulling an Arlen, Olympia, John, Lynsey, or Susan deal, I’ll do everything in my power to kick him to the curb. You can count on that. Supporting this doesn’t mean I have to give up my principals. That’s a Liberal trait. Possibly why you think in such a fashion.

Sultry Beauty on January 13, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Buy Danish on January 12, 2010 at 6:45 PM

FIFY

Blacksmith8 on January 12, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Nope, they can’t do that. Not without 2/3 of the house and senate.

RINO in Name Only on January 13, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Americannodash on January 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM

That’s vanilla frosting on a turd. Doesn’t disguise very well. The truth is he acts like a horse’s ass because he is one.

Extrafishy on January 13, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Brown should have responded…

“While I’d like to thank the Democratic National Committee, especially Hari Sevugan, for their early recognition of me as Massachusetts next senator, I’d like to remind them that the people of Massachusetts have not yet voted. So while I appreciate their heartfelt endorsement of my candidacy, I will wait until the election results are final. Thank you for your support.”

dominigan on January 13, 2010 at 11:06 AM

chris999 on January 12, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Pro-life would be better. And next Senate election out there, don’t think it won’t come up.

Chris_Balsz on January 13, 2010 at 3:42 PM