Feingold gets town-hall fury over ObamaCare

posted at 3:12 pm on January 12, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Both Politico and local ABC affiliate WISN bury the lede a bit in their coverage of a town-hall meeting conducted by Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI) in Milwaukee.  It’s understandable, as the controversy over racially-charged comments by Harry Reid are leading the political news these days.  More significant, though, is the fact that Democrats are still facing town-hall fury over ObamaCare — even presumably safe Democrats like Feingold.

WISN doesn’t mention that until the final three paragraphs of their report from his meeting with constituents:

Feingold was also on the hot seat Monday in front of hundreds of people in Waukesha County during a town hall listening session.

Many in the crowd lashed out at the senator over his vote on the health care reform bill.

The crowd got loud; people shouted and even made calls for Feingold to step down from the Senate.

Feingold has served in the Senate for 17 years, representing a state that has been purple-to-blue for most of that time.  John Kerry barely edged out George Bush in 2004, for instance, winning by only a few thousand votes.  By 2008, Barack Obama beat John McCain by over 400,000.  However, the state still has a mix between the university towns where liberals get votes and conservative-to-populist small towns and farming communities that have, until now, moderately supported Feingold.

The town hall meeting phenomenon has not dissipated at all.  Perhaps the media isn’t giving it quite as much coverage as before — and perhaps Democrats aren’t holding town-hall meetings because of the certainty of this kind of reception.  But that is bigger news than whether Harry Reid retains his position as Majority Leader, at least in terms of policy and governance.

For the record, though, Feingold refused to go on the record one way or the other about Reid:

Feingold said he hasn’t decided whether Reid should resign his leadership role yet. The Wisconsin senator characterized Reid’s comments as “unfortunate and racially insensitive.”

“I’m thinking about that and we’re going to be getting together as a caucus next week and the topic will come up. I have not decided whether these comments merit that or not. They’re very unfortunate. They should have never been said. So, I need to think about it,” Feingold said.

That’s hardly a vote of confidence in Reid.

Update: Feingold also got an earful last week (via HA reader ukay_skipper):

Comments

Feingold gets town-hall fury over ObamaCare

Does anyone believe that this sniveling leftist cares?

Branch Rickey on January 12, 2010 at 3:16 PM

That clip’s nothing compared to the other Wisconsin townhall meeting I saw on Greta last night.

It was brutal.

Knucklehead on January 12, 2010 at 3:17 PM

That was quite an empty and lighted-skinned meeting in Oshkosh.

WashJeff on January 12, 2010 at 3:18 PM

This was in Milwaukee????? Isn’t that liberalville next to Madison?

gophergirl on January 12, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Knucklehead on January 12, 2010 at 3:17 PM

But how about those clips of the IL senators’ town hall meetings???

WashJeff on January 12, 2010 at 3:19 PM

I’m proud of those people. I grew up in Wisconsin, and if you’ll remember, it was Wisconsin (the Green Bay/Appleton area, I think) where McCain told the crowd they had nothing to fear from an Obama presidency. They knew then what much of the rest of the country is just waking up to.

For what it’s worth, I voted for McCain, but that is the moment when he lost me emotionally as a voter. He lied to those people.

capitalist piglet on January 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Isolated up in the Beltway, the shock on their faces during these Town Hall meetings, is priceless. McCaskill: “Don’t you trust me?” Constituents: “NO.”

kingsjester on January 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM

It was brutal.

Knucklehead on January 12, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Do you know where that meeting was? I’d love to see it if it’s on YouTube.

capitalist piglet on January 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM

The Silent Majority isn’t so silent anymore is it?

portlandon on January 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM

The Dems believe that people will love this bill once it’s law.

I disagree. I think people are going to totally rebel. First of all, there’s no public option. That was the key to mandatory enrollment. Second, it’s “unprecedented” in that it taxes before benefits ensue.

That is way, way to big of a pill to swallow in the middle of a huge recession.

It’s a con game, and people know it.

We all have family members who need health insurance or need some relief from the private industry practices that have been running rampant. We’re not going to take too kindly to paying taxes while still watching our loved ones suffer.

That was politically THE most amateurism of the year.

It’s not about Obama. It’s about our Congressional “think” tank.

They completely missed the boat on this.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Does anyone believe that this sniveling leftist cares?

No. I live in Wisconsin, and Feingold cares not one iota for what I say to him.

This was in Milwaukee????? Isn’t that liberalville next to Madison?

Just shows you how good a job they did promoting this (I’m Not) Listening Session; if there was one in Milwaukee, I didn’t know about it. Or I would have gone.

And yes, Milwaukee is the second most liberal county/city in the state next to Dane County, where the city of Madison (85 square miles surrounded by reality).

englishqueen01 on January 12, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Glad to see WI coming out strong against AmericanNegroCare (ObamaCare).

ms on January 12, 2010 at 3:24 PM

These people won’t listen until the electorate votes them out of office….

search4truth on January 12, 2010 at 3:24 PM

The cock up for the donks is going to be one for the history books.

jukin on January 12, 2010 at 3:25 PM

But how about those clips of the IL senators’ town hall meetings???

WashJeff on January 12, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Are you being sarcastic or did I miss something?

And OT……..for what it’s worth, Conan O’Brien just quit NBC.

Knucklehead on January 12, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I wish I could of been there at the town hall in Waukesha. We are far away from there now. I do send him e-mails and I get the same we need this bill even though it’s not the best bill out there reply.
I got a letter from him at my MIL’s house a few weeks ago, I’m waiting til she sends it to me because that’s our HOR. She’s like what did you write to him about this time. LOL!

Brat4life on January 12, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Anyone else notice the sign on the door “listening session?” They still aren’t listening, when Brown wins next week maybe they will.

farright on January 12, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I disagree. I think people are going to totally rebel go Amish.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM

FIFY

WashJeff on January 12, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Glad to see WI coming out strong against AmericanNegroCare (ObamaCare).

ms on January 12, 2010 at 3:24 PM

What does race have to do with anything about this? *blech*

Frankly, I know a great many people who need medical insurance coverage, and they are white, they have worked hard all of their lives, and they got hit hard with this recession.

I resent it being turned into a racist issue.

You need to deal with your racism.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 3:29 PM

It’s stunning how many “representatives” have been told by their constituents, quite clearly and forcefully, that they are against this health care bill and yet they go right back to DC and vote for it. And then they wonder why people are angry.

scalleywag on January 12, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Wait!! Can we roll that tape again? I was paying too much attention to her dialect and her skin tone to understand what she was saying.

ConservativeTony on January 12, 2010 at 3:30 PM

A federal mandate to buy a product from a federally protected cartel of providers. What’s wrong with that?

pedestrian on January 12, 2010 at 3:30 PM

ms on January 12, 2010 at 3:24 PM

I suppose you’re trying to make a point with that language, but it’s pretty offensive. I know people on this site have been accused of making racist remarks, and that sort of thing doesn’t help repair the damage others have tried to inflict on HotAir.

If that were on my site, I’d pull it.

capitalist piglet on January 12, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Racist cheese heads…

Roy Rogers on January 12, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Are you being sarcastic or did I miss something?

Knucklehead on January 12, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Sarc.

OUr nimrod senators would only talk in a closed session union hall.

WashJeff on January 12, 2010 at 3:30 PM

If I was a Republican member of Congress, I would be having town hall meetings just to get the public reaction to Obamacare back into the spotlight. Even if their members aren’t going to vote for it people will still come out to register their discontent and probably demand the Republians do something.

Cindy Munford on January 12, 2010 at 3:31 PM

I disagree. I think people are going to totally rebel go Amish.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM

FIFY

WashJeff on January 12, 2010 at 3:29 PM

—————————————————-
I know I am.

ms on January 12, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Now, all candidates need to do is finally say, “We have a way to address these issues, but it’s far, far less intrusive.”

Show some respect for people who really do need some answers about healthcare.

Show an alternative approach.

THAT is a winner.

But this crud being racist?

Let me tell you, you will watch all momentum disappear taking that viewpoint.

It’s not acceptable. It reminds too many of us that conservativism is dangerous.

I strongly caution against that attitude.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 3:34 PM

That was politically THE most amateurism of the year.

It’s not about Obama. It’s about our Congressional “think” tank.

They completely missed the boat on this.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM

The problem you or someone you know has with the insurance industry is caused directly by “GUBMINT” meddling.

PERIOD!!!!!

Get rid of the “GUBMINT HELP” and the problems will resolve themselves.

belad on January 12, 2010 at 3:34 PM

If the recession caused people to lose out on health insurance, then wouldn’t the reverse give these same people the health insurance they require?

They need jobs, not health insurance. When they get a job, they can get health insurance–IF THEY WANT IT.

ConservativeTony on January 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM

it’s pretty offensive.

No kidding.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I resent it being turned into a racist issue.

You need to deal with your racism.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I think his point was that some people were so happy to elect Obama, who Clinton thought should be serving coffee and whose dialect Reid admired, that we got stuck with someone who is not interested in reducing costs and is more interested in being unprecedented.

pedestrian on January 12, 2010 at 3:37 PM

ConservativeTony on January 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM

My friends did get jobs. But they offered either no benefits or very lousy ones.

My friends took those jobs. At least it’s a paycheck.

But no, there’s a real issue, and either the opposition party offers solutions, or this hayride will end.

And people will embrace Democrats.

There’s a limit to just saying, “This is bad.”

You have to offer something in replacement that is commonsense.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Kamikaze liberals wear earplugs during suicide mission for glory of the socialist empire.

Fletch54 on January 12, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Get rid of the “GUBMINT HELP” and the problems will resolve themselves.

belad on January 12, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Well, I’m moderate. There’s a balance to be struck. The insurance companies got themselves into this pickle with unethical practices.

I have zero sympathy. You cannot take premiums and then toss people out in the middle of treatment without someone noticing.

And they got noticed.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Fletch54 on January 12, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Excellent!! 100+

belad on January 12, 2010 at 3:39 PM

You have to offer something in replacement that is commonsense.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Sorry Ann, but you are mistaken. What we have now is better than any of the 14 versions of Obamacare the Democrats have offered. It is your side that needs to offer up something that is commonsense.

If the Republicans have become the party of “no”, the Democrats have become the party of “I don’t care what it is or what it does, I’m voting for it.”

ConservativeTony on January 12, 2010 at 3:41 PM

And they got noticed.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 3:39 PM

And if the “GUBMINT” allowed insurance companies to deliver services across state lines, the unethical companies would go out of business. Unless they are deemed “Too Big To Fail” by Timmy-boy.

belad on January 12, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Show an alternative approach.

THAT is a winner.
AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 3:34 PM

pedestrian on January 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM

The Inquirer reports today that Bobby Casey is being hounded all over Pennsylvania by pro-life activists, including yesterday at a non-political appearance in Harrisburg. ObamaCare isn’t popular here either.

rockmom on January 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Also, I want to mention that finding a job that offers a paycheck doesn’t mean they should stop looking for something better. I’m in the same boat.

Good luck to your friends. Good luck to all of us.

ConservativeTony on January 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Unless they are deemed “Too Big To Fail” by Timmy-boy.

belad on January 12, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Unless they are deemed “Too Big To Fail” by Tax Cheat Timmy-boy.

Fixed!

belad on January 12, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Unfortunately, Waukesha county and Milwaukee are two very different animals. Waukesha is about as Republican as you get. Had a town hall gone badly for Feingold in Milwaukee, it’d be a story, Waukesha would be a tough crowd for a Democrat in any climate.

Jalyn on January 12, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Hey, capitalist piglet and AnninCA,

Put this in your pipe, and smoke it…

Seven Percent Solution on January 12, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Unless they are deemed “Too Big To Fail” by Tax Cheat Timmy-boy.

Unless they are deemed “Too Big To Fail” by Tax Cheat light-skinned Timmy-boy.

More tweaking.

ConservativeTony on January 12, 2010 at 3:46 PM

rockmom on January 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM

hahah Thats great!

becki51758 on January 12, 2010 at 3:49 PM

I resent it being turned into a racist issue.

You need to deal with your racism.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 3:29 PM

pedestrian on January 12, 2010 at 3:37 PM
——————————————————–
President Obama is an african-american American-Negro.

Ask Rep. Clyburn or Harry Reed, even Bill Clinton, they will enlighten you.

ms on January 12, 2010 at 3:56 PM

cpan2 is reairing the Coakley-Brown debate.

ConservativeTony on January 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM

*C-Span 2

ConservativeTony on January 12, 2010 at 4:02 PM

It was brutal.

Knucklehead on January 12, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Fox News showed it this morning. It was a thing of beauty.

txag92 on January 12, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Turnout, turnout, turnout.
An incumbent that voted for the Obama agenda is going to have a hard time getting thier base out.

Vote for me. I will decide what is in your best interests, please do not bother to call.

Not the best GOTV message.

barnone on January 12, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Here is an editorial from the Beloit Daily New (wis) on Cap and Trade.

journeyintothewhirlwind on January 12, 2010 at 4:05 PM

The last time I checked, Diane Feinstein, Barbara Boxer and Nancy Pelosi have NEVER held a townhall meeting on healthcare. These hens are the best California has to offer and could care less what the cost or the payoffs to the insurance industry.

Rovin on January 12, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Reid’s comments were far more non-PC than Ferraro. I think the R card has officially backfired.

but that doesn’t excuse true racism.

Those feeling that they get a pass…think again.

Obama WAS elected, people, and that means the majority of this country isn’t into racism.

So if that’s your “gig,” just know….you’re in a minority.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Rovin on January 12, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I’m not surprised. I lived there for over 30 years. This bill is a killer for CA. Arnold is speaking out, though. It’s just devastating for Blue states which have been extending benefits.

But that’s CA.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 4:07 PM

So if that’s your “gig,” just know….you’re in a minority.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 4:06 PM

They are not into our grandparents’ racism, but there is a new kind where anyone who criticizes big-government nanny-statism is called a racist.

pedestrian on January 12, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I defend the teaparties daily AGAINST the stereotype that you are the common person.

I refuse to believe that is the case.

I don’t think it’s about race. I think it’s about solutions and neither the GOP or the Dems have offered anything that makes a lot of sense.

We’re leaning right. We’re not in love with ultra-conservative thinking, however, and most people know that the Reagan days are over.

The politicians which offer solutions that meet both fiscal conservative ideology as well as social needs?

They will win.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 4:10 PM

pedestrian on January 12, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Some people obviously do need to be called out for their racism.

If you followed the thread, you’d get that.

This poster was blatant.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 4:11 PM

I don’t defend the left on sexism against Palin. And I won’t defend the right on racism against Obama.

If it comes down to choosing?

Well, I hope identity politics takes a back seat, frankly.

I think both are awful.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 4:12 PM

The article points to a town meeting in the Milwaukee area, but the link is covering ones in a much smaller communities of Oshkosh and Appleton.

Trusser13 on January 12, 2010 at 4:13 PM

but that doesn’t excuse true racism.

Those feeling that they get a pass…think again.

So if that’s your “gig,” just know….you’re in a minority.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 4:06 PM
—————————————————–

HYPOCRITES
…… that is the “gig”.

ms on January 12, 2010 at 4:15 PM

President Obama is an african-american American-Negro.

Ask Rep. Clyburn or Harry Reed, even Bill Clinton, they will enlighten you.

ms on January 12, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I don’t know where you’re going with your comments, but what does race have anything to do with a town hall with Feingold, or health care have to do with anything on this thread?

capejasmine on January 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM

capejasmine on January 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I may have worded that wrong. lol

I do not understand ms. What does race have to do with a town hall, and health care? I may be wrong, and I apologize, if I am, but that’s two comments on race I’ve seen from you. Call me naive, but are you trying to bait here?

capejasmine on January 12, 2010 at 4:20 PM

The cock up for the donks is going to be one for the history books.
jukin

Don’t worry. There’s still plenty of time for the GOP to screw it up.

chimney sweep on January 12, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Ann, will you please shut up about Conservatives being racists. No one here is a racist, and no one here has said anything that is remotely racist. You went after one guy for a sarcastic comment, based on what Clyburn said. You’re being a knee-jerk.

And as to

Arnold is speaking out, though.

Yeah, he’s speaking out about ObamaCare, while whining about how the government (read: the taxpayers) need to bail out Caleeeforneea.

Ugh, what a load.

tickleddragon on January 12, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I disagree. I think people are going to totally rebel go Amish.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM
FIFY

WashJeff on January 12, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Come to think of it, going Amish may not be too bad.

Sir Napsalot on January 12, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Dems, still not hearing us.

ted c on January 12, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Looks like a bunch of typical, well-dressed astro-turfers to me…

catmman on January 12, 2010 at 4:27 PM

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 4:06 PM

If this is true, why all the hyphenated american labels?

PappaMac on January 12, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Wonder if it will make any difference…and if it doesn’t–why not? Are these pols really deaf to all but their own Party propagandists? We’ll see.

jeanie on January 12, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Camel-face is a typical politician. Shame on Wisconsin for subjecting us to this disgrace. And to CA for shoving Boxer on to the national stage as well.

leftnomore on January 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Is there any serious Republican candidate challenging Feingold for Senate?

Or should we send Greta up there (a self-proclaimed cheesehead) who has been drifting right lately on Fox to run against him?

If Greta does run, SarahCuda could take her place on Fox, and watch the ratings go through the roof!

Steve Z on January 12, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Feingold can either listen now, or listen at election time when the voters tell him to bugger off.

GarandFan on January 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Even with people still shouting loudly about the health scare scam these dims don’t get it.
As long as I live I will never be able to understand how or why this group of lemmings worked so hard to give 0bowma his legacy legislation.
Political suicide I can understand if it is worth something noble but going over the edge for this empty suit defies explanation.

FireBlogger on January 12, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Reminded me of when his old dancing partner Maverick told Michganders their jobs ain’t come back , evah . Did he already know Obama was going to be President ?

borntoraisehogs on January 12, 2010 at 4:53 PM

If Feingold has been in the Senate for 17 years, doesn’t that mean he’s up for reelection this year?

Kafir on January 12, 2010 at 5:02 PM

this is true, why all the hyphenated american labels?

PappaMac on January 12, 2010 at 4:30 PM

What the heck does this mean?

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Ann, will you please shut up about Conservatives being racists

I defend conservatives daily. I won’t defend a poster who makes a clearly racist remark.

You do? OK.

Not me.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 5:09 PM

January 12, 2010
The Latest Gallup Poll on this issue:

Healthcare Bill Support Ticks Up; Public Still Divided Forty-nine percent favor passage of bill; 46% oppos– Americans’ support for U.S. healthcare legislation has crept up incrementally since early November. Now, slightly more Americans want their member of Congress to vote in favor of such legislation rather than against it, 49% vs. 46% — a first since October. More broadly, however, Americans remain closely divided on the issue, with neither position attracting majority support.

Jimbo3 on January 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Christian Science…you read their paper……you are now a C.S.

nondhimmie on January 12, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Waukesha is represented by Jim Sensenbrenner (hope I spelled that right). Oshkosh/Appleton area is probably the most conservative part of the state.

Actually, the last time Feingold ran the Repubs had a very good candidate named Michaels (Im fuzzy as I was at Ft. Benning getting ready to deploy to Iraq). He is a former Army ranger and a very successful ditch digger (meaning he owns his own construction company). Michaels should have won but his folks sucked at running a campaign.

Claimsratt on January 12, 2010 at 6:45 PM

As a recent Wisconsin escapee, I have never been happy with Mr. Feingold. But with the strong union presence in the state he seemed untouchable. Now he is sniffing the political roses and is realizing people are fed up with his antics as well as those of his Democratic peers. There is a strong political wind blowing and Mr. Feingold will do anything not to get swept away by it. Case in point is the hedging on Harry Reid. All I hear is crickets chirping. I am sincerely hoping that he is replaced by someone who actually listens to his constituency and acts accordingly rather than being a water-boy for the leftist adventure now playing in Washington.

Harold32001 on January 12, 2010 at 7:25 PM

It is up to us to make these jackasses care!!!!

mobydutch on January 12, 2010 at 7:43 PM