Coakley misspells name of state she wants to represent

posted at 11:30 am on January 12, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

This is just too good to add as an update to my earlier Coakley post.  Via Jammie Wearing Fool, MassLive pays attention to that disclaimer message at the end of a Martha Coakley ad, and notices a Dan Quayle moment:

On the heels of last night’s final debate between Martha Coakley, Scott Brown and Joseph L. Kennedy, Coakley released a new ad attacking Scott Brown — an aggressive turn that many observers have thought was long overdue.

However the ad’s message might get lost by a spelling gaffe that appears in the ad’s closing seconds. In the fine print appearing at the bottom of the screen, the ad reads:

Paid for by Massachusettes Democratic Party and Authorized by Martha Coakley for Senate. Approved by Martha Coakley.

Close observers will notice that there is an extra ‘E’ tacked onto the end of ‘Massachusetts. It’s a trivial oversight, for sure, but you can bet that the jokes and jabs the typo will inspire will blunt at least some of the impact of the ad.

Here’s the screenshot:

And just to make clear, this came from Coakley’s own YouTube channel — see upper right of this screencap:

Maybe Coakley ought to know how to spell her state’s name before asking voters there to send her to Washington to represent them.  At the very least, it’s an answer to Democratic zingers about Dan Quayle, who managed to spell Indiana correctly even if misspelling potato on an infamous occasion.

Update: Coakley has pulled the video — which makes the screen-cap all that more valuable.

Update II: Ha!  Fixed my own misspelling.  Well, I guess I can abandon my bid for the Senate seat from the state of Very.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Funny. It’s always interesting to see what the PR people mess up.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 12:19 PM

The story here isn’t that one of her staffers is dumb. It’s the casual contempt with which she dismisses the whole process. She’s the Democrat in a Massachusettes (sic) election. Of course she’ll win, so why bother with a competent campaign.

ElectricPhase on January 12, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Well dummies like her git sent to iraq, or so says john kerry.

SHARPTOOTH on January 12, 2010 at 12:22 PM

This has been alot of fun, but I am afraid that the Dem machine will steal the election: import voters, count votes improperly, send buses and fried chicken to the ‘hood, etc.

johnboy on January 12, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I’ll have to use that line on my kids. I’m always telling them “When I was your age….” stories. This is just a story right? I mean, it reminds me an awful lot of my 7th grade English teacher.

CBP on January 12, 2010 at 12:09 PM

No, unfortunately *tick* it’s all true, every word *tick* of it.

I live each day *tick* with the fear of mispelling….. :)

turfmann on January 12, 2010 at 12:24 PM

well the ad with the wrong spelling is still being aired locally, as I just saw it on NECN during their noon time news.

rslancer14 on January 12, 2010 at 12:27 PM

My mama always said ‘stupid is as stupid does.’ (To be read slowly for maximum effect)

This is too funny. I wonder if the video editor will have to resine.

ConservativeTony on January 12, 2010 at 12:28 PM

send buses and fried chicken to the ‘hood,

Welcome, Senator Reid!

ChrisB on January 12, 2010 at 12:30 PM

“I’m Marthah Cokeleee an I kan spel gudder than a feeth graydur

ZeeMI on January 12, 2010 at 12:33 PM

There is no excuse for this kind of stupidity.

Have at her.

Dave Rywall on January 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I live each day *tick* with the fear of mispelling….. :)

turfmann on January 12, 2010 at 12:24 PM

`
I think you misspelled “mispelling”. It should be misspelling. “Off to Detention”

CBP on January 12, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Massachusettes – #1 in edukation!

Hieronymus on January 12, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Not to mention that she says there are no more terrorists in Afghanistan.

stenwin77 on January 12, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Not only did they spell Massachusetts incorrectly, but if they want to make Brown look bad, why do they use one of his most handsome photos?

behiker on January 12, 2010 at 12:47 PM

The child spelled “potato” without the “e.” Quayle said it was wrong because the card had the (acceptable) alternate spelling “potatoe.”

davidk on January 12, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I forgot that the misspelling was on the index card. And sure, it may be an acceptable spelling, but maybe it’s only used in Trenton, NJ.

I suppose that makes sense. After all, in Albany, NY they called grilled hamburgers “steamed hams.”

YYZ on January 12, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I guess it was cheaper the buy a vowel then the buy an apostrophe

Electrongod on January 12, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I was wrong on my previous post on the use of an apostrophe. I guess that’s why they didn’t hire me for their campaign.

Electrongod on January 12, 2010 at 12:50 PM

If it hasn’t been said… are we sure it’s not one of those other 7 or 8 states that only Obama knows about?

mankai on January 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM

There is no excuse for this kind of stupidity.

Have at her.

Dave Rywall on January 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM

OMG she’s lost Dave Rywall!!! Oh the humanity!!! Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Aitch748 on January 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM

***NOW APPEARING***

MARTHA COAKLEY AND THE MASSACHUSETTES

I hear they do a killer version of The Beat;les “Taxman”

just make sure you have a few under the belt before Maaahhtha gets up to dance on the bar!

max1 on January 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM

edumacation at it’s finest!

cmsinaz on January 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM

CBP on January 12, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Nooooooo!

Actually, I got to know her well long after I left her class. She was a sweetheart. She was also a Gold Star Mother, God bless her. We lost her late last year just days before her 102nd birthday.

turfmann on January 12, 2010 at 12:53 PM

*crickets chirping*

MSM

one of those if brown had done it moments

cmsinaz on January 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I suspect it’s all part of a new Dem strategy: claim she was too drunk to spell the name of her state correctly, thus bolstering her claim to Unka Ted’s legacy.

EyeSurgeon on January 12, 2010 at 12:55 PM

I just saw that Cosmo centerfold. Yowza!

Infidoll on January 12, 2010 at 12:58 PM

You can’t spell “Kennedy’s seat” without some E’s!

SouthernGent on January 12, 2010 at 11:53 AM

What to do with those extra E’s? Can’t let a crisis go to waste!

Electrongod on January 12, 2010 at 12:59 PM

ElectricPhase on January 12, 2010 at 12:19 PM

If Ted Kennedy can get re-elected after killing a girl, it looks pretty bleak for a Republican. But you never know, letting girls drown aside, perhaps the dems are just tired of the high taxes, or just curious as to what a Republican might do in office… who knows, maybe he’ll go the extra mile and rape and strangle a girl! Sorry for the dark sarcasm, but seriously, I don’t know how the libs of MA sleep at night.

4shoes on January 12, 2010 at 1:00 PM

The mispelling doesn’t indicate Coakley’s ignorance.

It indicates that her staff is from out-of-state.

That is possibly more devastating, since it is likely the woman knows full well how to spell her state name.

notagool on January 12, 2010 at 1:11 PM

turfmann on January 12, 2010 at 12:53 PM

`
She sounds like one of those classic teachers that actually knew how to teach. Glad you had the opportunity to get to know her outside of the classroom. Let’s hope she is entertaining and teaching her former students and friends right now in Heaven.

CBP on January 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM

ROTHFLMAO!

Sorry, the header made me blow my sandwich.

Hilarious.

mylegsareswollen on January 12, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Massachusettes is an acceptable form of Negro Dialect /Harry Reid

Norwegian on January 12, 2010 at 1:28 PM

***NOW APPEARING***

MARTHA COAKLEY AND THE MASSACHUSETTES

I hear they do a killer version of The Beat;les “Taxman”

max1 on January 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM

They could record that song “There’s Communists in the Whitehouse” from a different thread.

petunia on January 12, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Marfa believes that Massachusettes is a term describing that state’s females, kinda like Rockettes. She’s sophisticated and well-travelled, don’t you know!

ya2daup on January 12, 2010 at 1:51 PM

EyeSurgeon on January 12, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Yes, but there’s something not right about the image of her and Chris Dodd doing a waitress sandwich.

SKYFOX on January 12, 2010 at 2:16 PM

The conveniently forgotten fact on the Dan Quayle potatoe incident… Dan was reading flash cards the teacher of the class provided. The flash card spelling of potato was misspelled… Dan read it as it was on the card, to not embarrass the teacher.

Dasher on January 12, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Just another prime example of a liberal surrounding themselves with incompetent associates in order to enhance their own omnipotence. Barry has set the level at achieving that goal and the liberal lemmings will follow diligently. Coakley is just a stooge who makes a mockery of the election process.

volsense on January 12, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Massachusettes – Must be one of the other 57 states. I wonder what the post office abbreviation will be for this state?

CBP on January 12, 2010 at 11:35 AM

MESS, of course!

:-)

Mary in LA on January 12, 2010 at 3:05 PM

For the record, the index card Quayle was holding -given to him by the teacher- spelled potato p-o-t-a-t-o-e.

Akzed on January 12, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Update II: Ha! Fixed my own misspelling. Well, I guess I can abandon my bid for the Senate seat from the state of Very.

Now you need to jaunt over to the “Dems at Risk…” post and change “amd” to “and” in the first paragraph.

Anyway, I’m not here to be a defender of Coakley, but she obviously wouldn’t have written that herself. What this indicates to me is just how much non-local meddling goes in to local elections. Anyone from the state would know how to spell it. I’m only in the same region and learned in elementary school how to spell it to the extent that I question myself every time I type it, but it’s been programmed in me so I don’t get it wrong. No Masshole would ever misspell it. So who wrote it? Soros people? Kos Kids?

RightWinged on January 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Someone needs to make a campaign sign:

MASSACHUSETTES
SAYES
NOE TO
COAKLEYE

JackOfClubs on January 12, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Funny. It’s always interesting to see what the PR people mess up.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 12:19 PM

It’s even funnier to see how inept a politician is in their decision making process, like hiring people.

Red State State of Mind on January 12, 2010 at 6:47 PM

RightWinged on January 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM

With all due respect, you are mising the point if you chalk this up to ‘non-local meddling’. Most anyone who graduated from a Public High School would know how to spell it, or know how to use Spell Check to mask their ignorance.

Red State State of Mind on January 12, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Red State State of Mind on January 12, 2010 at 6:50 PM

You must be of a different generation if you think public school is that good. Growing up in Vermont, I can’t count the amount of teenagers I met as a kid on vacation in other states who asked “what state is that in?” Also, when living in Tennessee in my early 20s, I can safely say that most of my friends wouldn’t have been able to locate Vermont on a map. Seriously, you WAY overestimate the population at large… and it’s only getting worse. Text/IM language is rendering kids dumber by the day.

RightWinged on January 12, 2010 at 6:56 PM

1) Spell the name of your state correctly
2) Read legislation before voting on it

hawksruleva on January 12, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Tha would certainly thin the herd, wouldn’t it?

Red State State of Mind on January 12, 2010 at 6:56 PM

RightWinged on January 12, 2010 at 6:56 PM

How old is Ms. Coakley? I am 53 and suspect she graduated from school at roughly the same time I did. I went to a public school in a blue collar lower middle class county.
I won’t debate the current state of education with you as you are correct, and make a compelling argument for school choice and home schooling. I’m going to do a little reserach on this InterWeb thing and get back with her age and educational background.

Red State State of Mind on January 12, 2010 at 6:59 PM

…The 1971 Drury High School graduate is the first to officially declare for the seat, …

and then she went to Law School. Am I going out on a limb to suggest that to enter Law School onemight anticipate that the applicant could spell the name of their state?

Hey! here’s an idea….she could have copied the spelling of her state off of her web site, as it’s spelled correctly there. Nice picture of her, her husband, and their two dogs; if she is a dog lover I can admire that part of her.

Red State State of Mind on January 12, 2010 at 7:05 PM

I love the way Obama pronounces “Massachusetts“.

It’s a Circus of Top This~! Buffoons.

profitsbeard on January 13, 2010 at 12:37 AM